ARPG

Didn't see one in the catalogue, ARPG general?

Been playing Titan Quest AE and having a ton of fun with it, never played it before for some reason. I'm also pretty interested in the PoE expansion, but I want it to be finished first before heading into that game again.
I'm probably revisiting Grim Dawn after TQ, never finished it and after playing TQ I can see a lot of things it improved upon.

On the topic of TQ, what's a good second mastery if I want to play an Earth caster? I like the big offensive spells and the tanking core hound so I mostly want a mastery that supports earth. Spirit with the staff skills seems good, sadly most other stuff is a bit lackluster. It's either that, Storm or Dream I think.

Other urls found in this thread:

grimcalc.com/build/1009-IBkedY
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9343
beelzebox.net/
shodanon.itch.io/beelzebox
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48597
grimcalc.com/build/1009-2QjnhF
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49047
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151734627
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For Earth, I used Hunting as a second mastery, as I could either use the bow to kill the opponents at a distance, while my wolves did some tanking, or used the spear to kill the targets faster, and used the wolves as more of an additional DPS.

So you played it more like an elemental ranger? I don't think Hunting would work that well if I have more of a caster build in mind.
I'm already heavily specced into intelligence and getting dex just to use a bow would probably bloat the build unnecessarily.

That's why I considered Spirit for giving me a stronger basic attack instead since staffs already scale with int.

If you're going with a Earth main mastery, the best option in my opinion is to second in is Nature. Allies can be summoned to deal damage, distract enemies, and auras act as a group defense and healing buff. Alternatively, you could also go for Defense to prevent enemies from getting in close, which is key with a lot of enemies in The Egyptian tombs.

Sorry, I confused Earth with Nature. I played a Nature + Hunting using wolves, nymphs and healing from Nature and bows + spears spells and buffs(such as Art of the Hunt) from Hunting.

Looking over the Nature skills I have to agree that they seem very good. I'm strongly leaning towards picking this. I'm only lvl 14 so I might grab a point or two in the heal and then turn back to Earth for a while.

Susceptibility upgrade on the Plague skill that reduces elemental resistance seems amazing for me.
Heart of Oak seems like good survivability points.
Casual point in Briar Ward for Sanctuary.

Am I missing anything amazing? I feel like adding more summons might be overkill. Out of the 3 available with Earth Nature I think the Core Dweller is the best for me.

Oh I see.

reminder to check out soulvizier for titan quest
I personally find the vanilla skill trees to be pretty boring

We need to remind weebs that "arpgs" were called hack 'n slashes first.

Honestly, I can't say for sure about that. When I played through, I mained Spirit with a secondary in Storm. Life-draining abilities, undead weakening, and major buffs, along with arguably the strongest summon in the game worked well with survivability. Storms, with the high group damage, only added to that by being able to soften up lots of enemies before I dove in with my hammer to clean up.

You mean Diablo clones.

Yes.

Seems it doesn't work with the anniversary edition though.

How did this shit ever come to be called ARPG? What is the action, exactly? You indirectly control your character by clicking where to walk or what to hit, thousands of times. It entirely lacks the immediacy of what used to be called ARPGs.

really? that is a shame

In my mind it's because they're very light on dialogue and heavy on the killing (action). The RPG aspect of them doesn't come from interacting with characters as much as it's about building a strong character with a lot of number tweaking, gear and builds.

I think because the combat wasn't turn based and it does require some reflexes from the player to use the right spell at the right moment gave it the "action" label.

What did?

Probably the same reason why no one can agree what genera games like DMC, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden are.
At least no one is trying to push shit like "character action".

feels bad man, I was gonna ask why RPG shooters had to die and then I remembered destiny is still alive. I have no idea if that is worse or not.

character action originated from neofag so I really do hope none of you niggers actually use it

Post yfw you played all non-shit of them bust still crave for more.

Because the only alternative at the time was turn-based, so real time combat was pretty fucking actiony.

Stylish action is the best term but nobody fucking uses it.

I finally got into Titan Quest. I never knew playing these kinds of game while listening to podcasts could be so relaxing.

Yeah they're pretty great for that. You should check out the Sleepy Cabin podcast, if you haven't.

I just bought the crucible for 3 and a half dollarydoos
did i waste my money?
I mean it actually adds content, just not much so at the very least its no where near as bad as those faggots who buy cosmetics and temporary buffs

also rumia a qte

It's literally Arena Mode: The DLC.
Do you like arenas in games? I've been waiting for the new classes to come out so I haven't played GD much lately, but I fucking love arenas and I dumped 15 or so hours into it so far. I don't know how the treasure calculation works, because sometimes it feels like I could get more loot just by playing the game.

arpgs are just action games that babies can handle

Does that mean all action games are ARPGs?

It drops a bunch of shit that is slightly harder to get just by playing the game
Although that might just be because I'm still in the sixties for my highest level character
I've got 6 builds going on, I don't know where this obsession as come from
The next two classes are just going to make it worse

Heres your (you)

Titan Quest is horrible. Even with the mod that ups the drop rate, you still get mostly shit. Victor Vran looks fun, though. At least it has controller support.

I tried Victor Vran for a bit, not a huge fan.

If you compare the combat with many third person action games it doesn't feel as meaty and heavy and while switching between weapons gives a few extra options, you're a bit limited on moves.
If you then compare it to something like Diablo or whatever, the character customization is super limited.

I haven't played it enough to judge it fairly but it tries to be 2 different things too hard and not delivering on either.

I was playing some Grim Dawn earlier today trying to get back into it. Elite mode really drains my potions.

I still don't know why they gave potions a cd
The way i see it, potions should be like diablos or path of the exiles
Limitless but with CD, or limited but no CD
Grimdawn decided to walk on the worst possible edge here, thankfully potions are a fairly common drop

It probably doesn't help that my build isn't super min maxxed.

I may need to drop back down to veteran mode and farm some for a bit.

Is Van Helsing any good?

It's alright. If you're going to play it, play the final cut version.

That sounds more like Nature + Spirit.
Hunting is the bows and spears tree (occasionally taken by casters for the Study Prey debuff).

Oh yeah, you are right, been a long time a played it.

Am I crazy or does the loot filter in Grim Dawn hide crafting items too unless I'm showing common items?
I keep picking shit up I don't want to during fights.

If you haven't played Storm + Earth I recommend it. You're incredibly squishy, but everything dies so incredibly quickly that if you ever get hit by anything then you fucked up.

Meh. Kind of liked slavic mythology for a change but that is it.

You are crazy.

You are crazy. I'm currently on rare+ and it doesn't affect anything except my income slowing down a lot and I'm clearing content a lot faster.

Most likely you lot either lack a emergency panic button, proper resistance, never invested any stat points in physique or you have no heal skills. I'm playing a soft squishy caster and atm I'm deciding between using two legendary gloves which one provides a good amount of hp, regen and a massive heal of 1200+6% every 6 seconds on attack and the other gives me a massive 10k AoE chaos+fire self wave attack every 4 seconds.

I, too, do enjoy watching paint dry and grass grow.

Did you spec into dream by chance? That's the real "old man screaming at clouds" build.

I tried many things, none hooked me to the game. Soulvizier doesn't help, either, the combat stays clunky with it.

Well IMO titan quest isn't D2 and it doesn't pretends to be, but a lot of the things that are good about TQ got carried over to GD and a lot of thing that were TQ's weakness were fixed. But it's still not D2.

What would be a good secondary for an Arcanist? I am early in the build, focusing of course on missiles, and the explosion for PBAoE. Don't really want to go demolitionist secondary.

Which hack and slash/ARPG/click-and-loot game has the best necromancer class?

Diablo 2. Guild Wars 1 if you're into dead instanced MMOs.

If you can give up on using caster sidearm for end game equipment for a shield (and there are some shields suited for aether/chaos/elemental casters), soldier can be quite the buff for your caster build since it's basically free HP and heals all the way as long as you have a shield equipped. Plus, overguard can literally save your life while you facetank shit.

Shaman on the other hand is useful if you need life leech or thunder kiting actions

Occultist could be good for extra chaos buffs if you spec into aether/fire ray modded into pure chaos since very little mobs are chaos resistant

shadow on the other hand if you want to eventually play a semi glass cannon class that does crazy burst damage.

So basically everything works, it's all on your gear rather to see what works.

Poe is okay too on that regard.

I might go occultist - I like death rays.

why is everyone talking about these click fest snooze games and not about gothic and dark souls??????

farm more energy regen gear lol. Once your ray is free, the world becomes the best place in the world.

Oh, and what about constellations, anything that buffs relevant damage types?

I've played those for hundreds of hours, being able to enjoy multiple genres is purely a positive thing.

Grim Dawn is getting one in the expansion.

Oh also, occultist gets a free buff and substantial 30% heal every 15 seconds that you can spam on demand forever.

I would make something like this
grimcalc.com/build/1009-IBkedY

Possession gives 100% casting interruption protection. You're a channeling build.

You'll get gear with bonus skill points and the chart is just a priority meter for you to see what skill are essential. Skills left at 1 are skills to be maxed when you have excess. Priority starts from aspect of the guardian since it gives you 100% poison resist (that's a solid 50% on ultimate difficulty). You can then go full curse for perma slowing everyone or go doom bolt for the sweet 25% AoE hp reduction (note that bosses have resist for reduction damage). Mirror and nullification is pretty low on the list since they're more for squishy caster builds to not get instagibbed.

Note the attack speed bonus, and a flat chaos bonus damage. It's useless for this build. Second rite is where the meat is at and it even gives you vitality damage resist.

Basically with blood of dreeg being on perma refresh, you gain 106 hp regen per second for free.

You'll thank me when you get to facetank everything and just blast death rays without worry. Your gear and devotions will complete your spirit.

There's also a very experimental thing you need to check. Since you're making your aether/fire ray a chaos/fire ray, you need to check if which damage bonus applies.

Does the original aether bonus in the skill apply then it gets compounded with your external bonus in chaos (aka changing the word aether to chaos in your skill essentially) or does the game account for both in that the original aether damage is calculated with the aether bonus, then stacked with chaos again for final damage. If the latter where both are considered, I can think of a lot of good gear you'll have access to.

Interesting, I will give it a try. I don't hace much experience with the gamd, having only played pure demo until about level 40ish, so all this arcanist and occultist shit is new for me. Also, the devotions are where I gain spirit, right? Can I reset stat and devotion points? I know I can with skills at least.

I wouldn't consider second rite a max unless you really need the resists, once you start gearing you'll already have over 1000% chaos damage. It might be better to put those points towards elemental balance for more crit damage or maxing mirror or nullification. Mirror for standing your ground against enemies that put out too much damage anyway and nullification for the shear usefulness it has against heroes and some bosses. It can dispel all kinds of auras, damage reflect and can even stop the undead nemesis' persistent fireball rain plus the elemental damage reduction on it neuters two of the actually worthwhile nemesis. I would like to also note that there is gear that converts chaos damage into aether and vice versa but those won't work if you've already converted them once with that transmuter. Just keep it in mind. Devastation might be worthwhile if you get enough aether% gear.

If you can grind it out to get the right gems, then yes
Still even then its no where as good as diablo 2

All gems are sold of given for quests. The only one you might consider as grinding is using 6 orbs of corruption on a skeletons gem.

You can reset devotion but not stats. Also listen to this user here,

Down the line your gear might give you the resist point you need and you can refund skills for more points to add elsewhere.

So far I'm running at least one steps of torment (without going into the final locked areas) once an instance to farm this for my final build instead of finalizing the offhand with Aldanar's vanity. I've gotten 3 books now but RNGesus hasn't been kind and I've not gotten a fire/chaos focused version of the book. My initial levelling book was of sands and fire, so it gave me quite a boost in damage and makes anyone who melee hits me go to sleep.

My arcanist is only like level 8, I guess I can deal with a few points into spirit, considering I can just respec skills. Will be usimg the missile for a while until I get to the raygun.

you can reset whatever you want

I'm soldier/shaman.

only skills in shaman I have are Mogdrogen's Pact and the skills after that.

everything else is sprinkled around in soldier.

The meat of shaman is the wendigo totem while Mogdrogen's pact is the game's best aura regen skill. At max level it does like 10% heal per half seconds IIRC. If you're planning on facetanking as a warder, you need wendigo. But really I would only put one point in mogdrogen pact until later and max heart of the wild and oak skin instead.

Suggestions on how to tank the fuck up? Been working on Arcanist the past few lvls, getting more sphere levels for sure.

Maybe I will. I'm good for now since I finally can listen to all those SBFP podcasts.
Oh man, that's excellent.

Well with my current build, I went from squishy glass cannon to actually facetanking despite being a shit tank.

Shilling for my /agdg/ project again. Perhaps some of you didn't notice it yet.

It was a rough prototybe done in 5 days for a "one room rpg jam" but me and my pal decided to keep working on it.

The "prototype" is vailable for download here:
beelzebox.net/
I hope you have fun

and ask questions
and give suggestions
even bully if you want

I feel like mouse control movement is holding you back, take that away and you got a p-cool ARPG/Shooter hybrid. Sorry if you only got one hand or something

You mean make it into a twin stick shooter? I dunno, it's not up everyone's alley.

The only thing that you change is the controls. And your game is already pretty niche, you don't have to worry about reaching a larger audience.

Put at least 10-12 points into blast shield (demo tree) and you'll be nearly invincible while its active. Pretty much a must-have for any demo mastery build. Maiven's sphere on the other hand I prefer to not use or just put 2-3 points into so I still get quite a bit of damage reduction while not suffering from that damage loss.

Are you planning on having lots of abilities?

If yes, are you planning on the abilities having cooldowns? I noticed your fireball ability has a short cooldown on it, how come? Wouldn't it be better if you instead had a cast "animation" on characters? You could then speed that up with a cast speed buff, rather than having arbitrary cooldowns.

Just an idea, since Diablo and other ARPG's didn't have cooldowns.

In general the engine looks really good with lots of potential. Keep it up user!

Diablo 2 is the gold standard for necromancer classes though. Is there anything that comes near it? Dwarf Fortress lets you reanimate shitloads of corpses in adventure mode but there are no real spells as of yet.

Why are ARPG's always called Diablo clones and yet games like Call of Duty are never called Doom clones? Why does every ARPG have to be compared to Diablo? It's a trite meme tbh.

More on topic I got back into Grim Dawn recently and decided for a fresh start in preparation for the expansion (presumably it'll be released later this year) and started an Elementalist. Sucks not having endless components and twinking gear from my other characters tho.

Personally I'd consider a point or two into Flashbang and Searing Light, both solid for crowd control. Last I played Grenado and Mortar Trap were both lackluster so you might be able to relocate those points into the Demo mastery and subsequently Blast Shield, another solid defensive ability. Of course if you enjoy using them more power to you.

Also I notice you don't use components in your gear, why not? At the very least I put them into yellow/green gear as I don't mind salvaging them to get the components back after I replace them.

Do mods work with TQ AE?

>Sorry if you only got one hand or something
Nah, I just never learned playing ARPGs with keyboard or controller movement.

The main inspiration is Diablo 1, where there was only mouse movement. Then again, I kind of agree with you here
When most of the basic stuff is done, nothing will be stopping me from trying to add alternate control methods.

I still need to play Diablo 1 on a PS1 emulator. I am really interested how they did it way back then. especially that I'm not really a fan of D3's broad melee attacks, which are basically AOE and work well with a controller

I feel like it will be trying to bite more than I can chew, but indeed. I want loads of 'em.

Good point. I gues it's something that became so ubiquitous in modern ARPGs (since D2?) that I forgot that there are other ways to do things.

We'll see. The main reason for including them currently is to make the skills feel different (and add minimal balance, although I think it's much less important than fun).
The ice spray for example has a very short cooldown (mainly for the spray particle effect to look ok), moderate damage and low mana cost, while the cyclone thing has long cooldown and high cost but is devastating.

The spells also allow you to hold RMB to keep casting, so a CD is bit of a precaution against eating up all your mana in an instant.

I'll consider designing some of the skills so that they cast only with a click and not giving them any cooldowns. This could add some variety and fun.

And you will be able to reduce the cooldowns/increase cast rate through buffs and items, don't worry.

Thanks, bro. Hope you'll enjoy it when it's done. I try to keep shilling on various ARPG threads to a minimum, so if you'd like to follow progress, /agdg/ threads are the place to go. Either that or my dev blog.
and the engine is Unity. I'm NOT making a cellphone game so maybe that's why Beelzebox doesn't look like other ARPGs made with it

And if you haven't downloaded the demo/prototype thing, you can download here:
shodanon.itch.io/beelzebox
because it was made so fast, there is only one level for each skill, so don't waste your skill points
strength stat doesn't do anything in the demo unfortunately
we are currently writing code from scratch and taking our sweet time to make things work well

New full edition? Steam workshop works, not sure about other methods. But you really should consider playing grim dawn instead.

I've never played TQ and GD is practically a sequel to TQ, no?
So I thought I should just play TQ with good mods and then play GD.

I actually like the idea of melee hitboxes - and not because og muh dark souls. It simply brings more variety into your arsenal - instead of shortswords being just faster and weaker than greatswords, they would also have a shorter reach. But their low weight would let them sweep faster and make a longer arc around you. Spears would have high reach but no AoE sweep properties - but a partisan would, at the cost of slower speed.

Its improvement in every way. You should try TQ vanilla before playing mods anyway.
Grim dawn is just more pleasant to play than TQ especially on low levels. Never got past lvl 30 because of boredom myself, while in GD i was 70~ in hc.

It's because the combat in TQ is utterly and irredeemably unsatisfying.

That is literally half the reason to play them. Guess I'll skip TQ then.

It was different for me. Long ass empty locations with same layout. No customization of any kind.
It was more open world than dungeon crawler. Reminds me of "blood magic" or whatever it was called. It had fucking respanwing monsters and locations was just wow sized empty places with nothing but respawning mobs. They probably was making mmo and not a single player game.

I haven't played that much TQ either but pirate the AE and check it out, at the very least you'll have a few hours of fun.

ARPG is the genre that Dark Souls belongs to. "What used to be called ARPGs" would be games more like that, with a follow cam (instead of overhead) and direct control of attacks (instead of point and click). Other examples would include Kingdoms of Amalur and Darksiders 2.

Those are just "Action". It's more or less where the "A" in "ARPG" comes from. If you turned any of them into an RPG (not just sticking a few progression elements on) they would be ARPGs.

No, you just don't get it. The combat being satisfying comes from many things: weapon impact and enemy scream sounds, animations for using weapons and skills, particle effects, screen shake, blood/gore. In those senses, TQ is completely neutered. Enemies behave like rubber ragdolls upon death, with no blood or anything at all pointing to a violent death. The weapons all sound awful and are not satisfying to swing. There are hardly any particle effects, and those that are there are too sparse.

GD improved the meatiness of combat significantly, even if the gameplay is largely the same as TQ.

Or to be even more obvious, Elder Scrolls and The Witcher. I probably should have lead with that.

We really should be using the original naming of Hack & Slash. Very self-explanatory, and everyone immediately knows what games the discussion is about.

I still prefer to use diablolikes. The fact is all of them originally tried to clone diablo 2, with anything else being iterations on those original clones. It's actually a pretty tightly defined genre.

A friend of mine got me to buy the Diablo 3 battlchest since it was on sale.

My biggest problem with the game is the lack of difficulty. Perhaps it's because I haven't gotten far yet but the only time I've died was when I was intentionally standing inside the explosive radius of exploding enemies to see if could die. I was already down to half health and I was half expecting to survive it. This was on expert difficulty mind you. I was able to survive the exploding death on "hard".

Fucking EA jews. I just want to feel the threat of death for making poor decisions. Grim Dawn really punishes you for getting in over your head and you can easily have it handed to you if you charge into a fight and get overwhelmed. Even on lower difficulties.

I couldn't die when I was trying to in Diablo 3. I would just charge into groups and just spam my skills as necessary. All the armor pieces have health regen it seems like so I never even have to touch my potion cooldown. I don't feel threatened by the world of diablo 3. I don't feel that same vulnerable feeling that Grim Dawn captures when you go up against a tough monsters. Torchlight 2 is also pretty good and fucking you up as well.

I love the witchdoctor though. They gave the negro a potbelly and made him throw jars of spiders, summon zombie dogs and shoot flaming bats.

When you think about it, it really is. Considering how the word "roguelike" got diluted over the years by shitty game journos, it's amazing how much more stringently diablolikes follow the genre specifics. Even the more out there games like Dungeon Siege (fucking awesome game, by the way) still can easily trace the roots for most of their mechanics to either diablo 1 or 2. at least most diablolikes forgo copying one of d2's worst mechanics, running stamina

It's lenient as fuck. For an untwinked character something like Torment 2 might be equal to Veteran in GD.
Previously the difficulty was even worse. Nothing above expert and I think you had to complete the game on hard to unlock it.

I know that feeling, I've been playing Sacred 2, about halfway through Platinum (difficulty 4 out of 5) now and it's pretty obvious the game never actually gets harder. Of course, my character/build choice (dryad archer) is probably the easiest (and fastest) to play the game with, combining fast, powerful ranged attacks with massive defensive buffs and regen. Most of the other classes either lack the all-around defense, the efficient attacks, or both.

As for Diablo 3, at least it does get harder. One of the biggest complaints at launch was that Inferno was TOO hard, so much so that it seemed intended to force people to use the real money auction house and pay to win. I have to admit though I enjoyed the insane difficulty back then and I think it's a shame that they toned it down and turned it into an endless, gradual grind instead. Beating Inferno Diablo was actually a pretty huge test of skill when (and how) I did it.

I've tried every character except Monk so far and none of the characters had trouble in expert mode. Wizard and Demon hunter have some lackluster DPS at the start but they quickly become OP given the right skills and Items.

What compounds my rustling is that you can tell time and effort was put in to lovingly craft the world and make all the classes seem unique and have special touches but none it fucking matters because the world is there for you to kill and nothing has any real chance of harming you. I keep advancing hoping that at some point I'll go "OH SHIT, I'M GETTING FUCKED UP" but it never comes.

I hope inferno difficulty actually has some teeth.

"Inferno" was replaced with "Torment", which has multiple numbered levels. I'm not even sure how high it goes anymore, I quit playing a long time ago (went to 6 then). Basically you are expected to play at whichever level your gear can handle

Inferno, back at release, would kick your ass from the start and you basically could not get past the first couple areas of act 2 until you grinded for days or weeks (the goddamn bees would instagib you), and that's assume you could pass the enrage timer on the butcher.

ARPG's are my worst genre. I feel like a filthy casual but I'm having fun so far figuring out this system. Just like Puzzles and Dragons I'm going to hit a wall where I either have to git gud or stay being a filthy casual.

Grim Dawn is pretty hard, I struggle on Veteran. I think people here mostly complain about D3 difficulty.

They're obviously cuhrayzee what the fuck are you talking about?

Well I was just talking about Diablo 3

Grim dawn isn't too bad. If you're starting off on the hardest difficulty (veteran) everything should be scaled to where you should be if you were making a new character.

I've made a couple different characters and basically there's a few ways to you can handle yourself.

1. be a brick shit house. Just be as tanky as you can be and have skills that buff your defense and retaliation damage. Make sure you some skills that slow down enemies and make you stronger. This if for players who like getting down and dirty.

2. Be a glass cannon. Be some kind magic missile shooting madman. If you build strong spirit build you can really nuke the shit out of stuff. I would try to get a pet or something to buffer between you an enemies but you can also use AOE slowing skills and other tricks to keep shit at bay.

3. Try to do both and be mediocre overall. Still even with a a few of my mediocre characters they an handle themselves with the right skills and some clever maneuvering.

If you're still having trouble you can always play with some friends online

Crowd control is why I always swear by cold-based skills in H&S games. Even if they do subpar damage compared to other elements, there is simply no discounting the increased survivability by the virtue of being able to slow/stop enemies on demand.

Veteran in GD is just few levels higher than normal. Higher level = better rewards. But in general it only means fatter mobs. Play whotever is more suitable for you. Struggling in veteran is worse than playing normal. But you should play HC

I know, I like to try unorthadox shit though.

One build utilizes all of of the spawnable minions you can get + a SKELETON WARRIOR via an item.

With the appropriate buffs you can turn the group into a regular rape pirade and use them as a buffer to sit back and spam your more powerful attacks from behind. There's a few enemies that will negate this trick but 99% of the time my troupe wrecks everything.

Don't user, they're absurdly OP
They don't do much damage but the damage enemies receive is absurd and being a tank makes you almost unkillable
Literally the only things that can kill you are those fucking traps in find in the shitty red dungeons
And even in PVP you're OP

nonviable unless you have at least some survivability skills
A lot of enemies can shoot shitty fucking lightning bolts you can't dodge, like FotH, that end up 1shotting you,

not a bad idea, there are several items in the games that handle hybrid builds that do something along these lines
Unfortunately a lot of the gear to help you do this is either level 40 or level 70+, particularly the unique items, so it difficult to go do by yourself'

relying on the crowd control of cold skills is going to end up you being killed by one of those fucking frenzied fucking berserker/charging type creatures, like fucking maniticores, Maybe most of them are effected, but theres that shitty one that always ends up being immune
Not to mention is has no effect on a lot of bosses making it subpar for boss fights
Still if your cross classing with occultist always grab that fucking curse that slows enemies, combined with ice almost nothing can actually catch you, plus the curse effects more enemies imo

Pet summons is actually one of the more viable builds you can have
Also i can't wait for necromancer class

And never even put more than one point into doom bolt
literally useless skills with 100% devotion proc chance makes it only used by summoners
that percent damage is only useful against white health trash mobs that die in one or two hits anyway
even in PVP it is useless against soldiers

I figured that was implied.

What I like about the pet system is you can buff them with constellations, items and your fucking skills.

It can be rather autistic putting it together but every single pet can be absurdly fucking OP with proper build.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the necromancer update. I want a skill that procs with 30% to 40% when an enemy dies and spawns a skelly that lasts for as long as it's HP will allow and have a cap of like 10 or 15 skelleys at max so you can have a small army of them running around with bones rattling all over.

I also want aforementioned constellations, item bonuses and skills to buff them.

What would the current classes allow for in terms of a Minion Master? Occultist + Shaman?

Of course, it's great to have different ranges for each weapon. We too will have longer-range spears and short-range swords etc.

Because my co-developer is also fond of those weapon hitboxes, we came to a certain compromise: each weapon itself will attack a single target but among the skills will be "weapon specializations" (as we won't have classes), adding wider swings, better attack speed and other effect, such as knockback or crit chance

Yeah, occultist has one and shaman has the other.

That is pretty nice. You can also take a page out of guild wars 1 book for the warrior profession. There, swords were the weapons for applying conditions (debilitations likr bleeding, deep wound, crippled), axes had a large number of AoE attacks (triple chop, cyclone axe) and hammers were good for knockdowns. Make sure each weapon type feels unique. Another crucial thing: consider synergies. Not D2 synergies, but rather skills and proficiencies that work well together. So if you have hammer mastery that adds stun or knockdown, have skills that do bonus damage or apply special effects to stunned or knocked down enemies. Seriously, GW1 is the prime game to look at for inspiration on amazing skill synergies. Even its necromamcer class had insane synergies within and outside of profession. Skill synergies like this can be thought of as combos and are incredibly satisfying to pull off.

Having looked at both skill trees, each has 2 summons: familiar and hellhound for occultist, and briarthorn and primal spirit for shaman. I dunno if any devotions produce extra summons, gonna trawl through them.

Okay, so Bysmiel's Bond has a hound that lasts for 20 seconds. Revenant auto-resurrects up to 3 skellingtons, 10 seconds each. Blind Sage has a summon that only lasts 5 seconds. Pretty weak overall.

Devotion is really important.

That's why I'm hoping necromancer ups the summoned minion game a bit.

Currently there's a Tome you can get in the game that lets you summon a SKELETON WARRIOR who isn't too bad stat wise. There may be some other items that allow you to summon stuff as well. I think there's a dagger that lets you summon a phantom type monster.

What's the most "perfect" minion-based class in a hack'n'slash anyway? By that I mean summons not being completely useless, but he must not be overpowered to the point your character needs to do nothing but walk forward as the summons take care of everything. Basically a hybrid of some sort.

If you truly want a pet based build, you can actually get a solid army going. I believe you can get up to 25 pets at once. Unfortunately only 6 of those will be permanent, so yeah I imagine it feels a bit underwhelming in that aspect especially if you're used to D2, and PoE I'm guessing.

you know the answer already, mr Skelertal.

Diablo 2, the usual answer. What's important to note is, aura mercs and runewords are incredibly important to the skeletons. So are +skills. A few +skills applied to raise skeleton and skelemastery turn squishy one-hit target practices into somewhat meaty damage dealers. Then you stack might from a merc, and preferrably fanaticism from Beast or Faith, and you have a force to be reckoned with. Of course, aura runewords are prohibitely expensive without duped high runes.

If I'm playing a weapon focused (probably keep being melee) demolitionist should I go for Soldier or Arcanist? The way I see those choices it's either physical dmg + defense passives or elemental dmg + defensive passives, in broad strokes.

Good in diablo 2, good in poe, good in Overlord1.

Oh ho ho the build you're aiming for is pretty gear reliant and both choices are pretty viable.

Go for Shaman

What's good to get there? Seems like it just has a less amount of synergistic skills than soldier and arcanist.

Well imo in the case of demo/shaman, your shift would turn to lightning focus. The benefit of shaman is a solid heal (wendigo totem) without needing to invest in the element it comes with, but a lightning demo/shaman can also be a caster with stun jacks, lightning totem and wind devils while either kiting or using wendigo totem to facetank. Either way your focus will switch to shaman instead of demo, but a maxed stun jack can carry you until you have enough points to flesh out shaman.

In that case I feel that demo would be a bit of a weak support class for shaman. I've already played a fair bit of a shaman lightning build and I want to try something else.

Commandos are one of the best classes for melee, since you can go 2H or 1H/Shield, have insane durability with blast shield and your huge health pool, and pure phys builds are insane unless you run into a group of skeleton knights.
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48597 Is probably the most heavily optimized build, but unless you're soloing crucible, you don't really need that level of gear.

Ranged Commando was pretty fun when I tried it last year (bombs and traps, peck the enemy off). I'm gonna try it again when I buy it off GoG (Had the game on Steam, but I refuse to put Steam on my PC). Did they buff the pets in GD?

For any of you PoE guys out there, are there links that show me what kind of crazy skill link combos can I make for certain spells? I'm loving Shadow, but I'm trying to figure out how to make Puncture trigger when I'm using Ethereal Knives
or traps.

Summons are very, very horrible in PoE. They get in the way of certain Verici missions, their AI is bad, and you're literally screwed in some fights if your zombies are obliterated. Sure, golems are awesome if you unlock the Shaman talent that makes them tanky af, but you need a lot of gear that lets you use more golems. Sadly, that gear is amlost impossible to find. Navigating through traps as a PoE pet class is absolutely dreadful.

Lab traps? They simply ignore them and take almost no damage. Lighting traps? You simply ignore them unless you made fucked up build which cant take one hit. And gear for summoner is easiest to get besides essence drain. All of the summons are really tanky by default. Sadly they nerfed number of animated weapons and raging faggots.

Again, I tried a MF golem build to give golems a whirl. They're okay, but at the cost of having great golems, your zombies are shit (you still need them until you get +1 golem gear). Now I'm trying a hybrid Summoner/Chaos build (mostly curses while skeletons and spirits eat the mobs because fuck useless zombies).

So your strategy was to mash buttons at random? Golemancer build is the most expensive one. Like 200c only for a required jewels iirc.

I might try something like that, the sword & board build looked a bit dull with nearly no actives.
Do I want to go for more fire based stats or physical for my damage output?
Dual wield guns? I like the idea but it seems like a DPS drop.

Would I have something like this for mid 50s?
grimcalc.com/build/1009-2QjnhF

I'm thinking that I can keep most enemies away with all these stuns and mines seem good on stunned enemies or when you just need to kite something.
If this seems like a decent foundation, where do I put points after that? And what about devotion? Hydra seems really good and then go for Ulzien's Torch right next to it.

Is there any build in any hack n slash that can emulate the diablo 2 kicksin? The essence being using special attacks to gain charges, and then using a finisher to unleash an elemental hell.

Torchlight 2 engies work on a charge system. (Most people just use the charges for the energy shield though).

Discharger in poe. But its different.

I've been playing this character a bit more and feel like I would benefit if I started dumping points into a second mastery.

What's better for a melee build, cadence or firestrike? The way I see it is if I go for Cadence and the commando line it's a phys build with CC and defense from demo.
If I would rather use firestrike maybe arcanist would benefit me more, but even soldier has a decent amount of synergy with firestrike.

Also I'd rather not use a shield which might drive down the soldier value.

But there are not a lof of difference between them. One if fire+lighting flavor other is physical damage flavor.

Firestrike if you can autistically stick to fire as your main element. Cadence if you want to go other elements that are not fire since it has a transmuter for that sort of builds.However, not that firestrike will always have more AoE over cadence. Also, menhir's will works with 2 handed melee, so you have the most important soldier skill available to you already.

Ratchet: Deadlocked/Gladiator is the best ARPG. Prove me wrong faggots

anyone recommend some good arpg for android? titan quest is all i can think of

Bards tale is great dont try oldschool bardstale included, its not working. But its more of a rpg than arpg. Some rougelikes appeared there. Emulators obviously.
All f2p arpg are garbage. You can cheat yourself free shit from pay-store but it will make game easy as fuck. Or you can struggle as poorfag. And most p2p games are just as bad. There arent anything worth even trying out. I was looking for a good arpg since windows mobile, and even during winmobile times it had more good games than android now. Abandon all hope, mobile platforms are for music, browsing and books only.

They have about the same don't they? Explosive Strike has a 1.5 meter radius (tho I remember this applying only to ranged weapons) and Fighting Form has a 160 degree arc.

Imo just stick with FS as you've already invested the points anyway. My melee Saboteur used FS and absolutely tore shit apart. Soldier will be the better 2nd mastery as it has more melee oriented skills than Arcanist including the useful Menhir's Will as the other guy mentioned.

I decided on a more phys focused build, Soldier just seems to have so many more useful and desirable skills for a melee character.
Also switched over to cadence to give it a try. I also like the deep soldier talents more than the deep demo talents. The only thing past Blast Shield I would have wanted was Brimstone and a casual point in Ulzien's Chosen.

Right now I'm only working on Soldier, I feel like Demo is in a pretty good spot.
What constellations are good for a build like this? Kraken is the mvp for sure. Other than that I have Ghoul and Behemot (still working on it) for regeneration and Lizard with Scholars Light for filler.

Go for cadence buff that gives free damage.
Constellations are hard, go for whatever gives you HP, damage and in general feel right.

Yeah I'm getting Deadly Momentum, the final Cadence upgrade. And then Counter Strike, Oleron's Rage and Squad Tactics.

Are there any other ARPGs having sexy pre-rendered 2D/Isometric graphics?

So, how does Fabric of Reality affect the beam modified for chaos damage? Does it only multiply the final chaos damage by 10%, or does it also affect the base aether damage, essentially being 1.1*1.1 = 21% damage increase per level invested? The Disintegration skill for the beam increases the base aether damage, I assume it does affect total beam damage if it is converted to chaos damage, right?

I liked it before they completely redid the build scheme and class system to fuck over anyone who had builds for both range and melee combat.
Great, now my ranger becomes a chewtoy because you shits didn't balance the goddamn class to be worth-while in damage dealing. And being a ranger for some reason makes me unable to use a fucking sword. Redoing the first campaign section with the new class system led me to dropping the game.

Is Median XL a good mod for Diablo 2?

No. Its incredibly pretentious trash that basically broken and you constantly play as broken character fighting waves of creeps. No real difficulty, just straight progression into demigod of absolute death and destruction. Completely reverses diablo 2's gameplay pattern into shit. Playing it is a sign of bad taste.

Yeah, provides minigames for endgame. But in diablo 2 you just farm, and here you just play minigamed made from endgame bosses.

I'm not sure how to feel about the Crucible mode of Grim Dawn. It feels like I'm getting too much reward for too little effort. Like, even if I die in wave 30-40, I still get assloads of components, blues, shards, scrap, greens, and a blue or two. I feel strongly like I'm cheating.

Wave 30-40 takes some time. You could get the same playing normally. So no, don't feel guilty.

…Really?

That's… not accurate at all to how I feel. For reference, I run a shitty vitality damage Occultist who is basically an engine for shitting out magic circles that eat people, I'm level 21 and I'm in Burrwitch. I'm not churning out five chests full of greens and blues every five minutes, that's for fucking sure, and if I get Dust arena that's about how long it takes me to get to that wave. Not to mention the assloads of experience, almost-free Devotion, and oh god, so much Iron I really don't see myself running out unless I outfit a few more twinks.

It's kind of absurd.

I might be wrong then.

However I would still argue that it's "balanced" by the fact that you don't really need to bash before Ultimate difficulty. If you run straight through normal / elite doing the quests and not exploring at all, you'll be at the perfect level to start the next loop. So unless you are having a hard time, it's not really worth it to farm (either for EXP or for items).

ARE YA READY, KIDS?
Are you ready for a VRMMOARPGLGBTQQBBQP of the next generation?

Are there any good D2 mods or am I best off playing vanilla?

With cooldown-based spells you are able push players into a situation where they weave different spells together, whereas with cast-speed as the only limitation players are going to prefer to simply use one attack spell only, the difference being that you can do other things during a spell cooldown but during a spell cast you are stuck. Both cooldowns and cast speeds can be modified by stats.

Asassin's blade (1pt yellow) is the single most important devotion for a phys build. Resist reduction is king, and you want that shit ASAP. It also sets you on your starting path. Your tier 3 constellation is Oleron, at the bottom right. For that, you need a little more yellow and a lot of purple. Hammer and empty throne are immediate picks. As a 2H phys commando, all your endgame weapons are clubs: Leviathan, Stonefist Rebuke, or Infernal Brimstone. This means Rhowan's Scepter, with its solid bonuses.

Since you also need 5 green/blue for Kraken, you have 2 options, both of which involve getting Hawk, an amazing 3 point dip. Then you either get Chariot of the Dead for OA and a decent heal proc at the cost of 7 points, or Scholar's Light, which is shit but only requires 3 more points. You also need 3 blue points, as Kraken gives you 2 when filled out. Get a 3 blue/ 2 yellow constellation like panther and take the points from Lizard. Other options are Solemn Watcher, because %DA is the shit.

Behemoth/Ghoul is a trap. Commandos don't use health regen to survive, that's for guys with Blood of Dreeg; you have Blast Shield and Menhir's Will, as well as a giant health pool from gear and soldier mastery. Instead, just put 2 points into yellow/red crossroads and boom, 10% health. The healing proc is OK, but has too much downtime for the investment, just like every heal proc. 5/30 seconds with no way to control it is awful. Maybe if you have a few free points, throw them in for the +400 health, but remember that red/green is chaos, poison, and fire town, and has absolutely fuckall synergy with a phys build.

Eastern Sun, Median XL. Vanilla is still good.

Vanilla + hires mod + pluggy. That is just quality of life improvements. Median xl is okay, but after you get really tired of vanilla.

In retrospect you can say that Diablo is Dark Souls of Diablo 3.

Isn't that a mobile game?

Such a shame that you cant go over 80% resistance

Wait until you play a melee class with its slots filled and get 75% pierce overcap. At least GD has enemies that reduce resistances, making those extra points worth it.

Well I´m technically playing melee since the game decided to give me fuck all items that give pet bonuses or points into these skills

After the 2.6 AoE nerfs I can't be assed to play PoE anymore, they just nerfed the fuck out of 90% of aoe skills and called it a buff, I swear these retards either don't know basic geometry or want projectiles to be the only thing players use.

PoE? Is that one p2w cuck game where they pulled topless girls from UI because of SJWs bitching?
I though people playing it like to take big fat nigger dick up their ass, why are you suddenly complaining?

increase difficulty

I downloaded Diablo II recently and might try it out today. Problem is I don't have a good history with the isometric RPGs. This isn't turn based as far as I can tell which is a plus and the combat will be a bit more interactive right?

I should like it, maybe. I liked Torchlight II despite not getting very far.

Diablo 2 is a daddy of them all, for both good and bad reasons. Still despite a lot of outdated clunk and running at 25 fps a lot of people consider it THE best one. I know I do.
Torchligh 2 isn't much of a representative though, you shouldn't judge an entire genre for some borderline indie-game that needs a whole bunch of mods to become compelling.

Any mods or patches I should get or am I good with the base game and expansion?

Holy shit fuck my grammar.
Either way play Diablo 2 with LOD expansion but without any mods if it's your first time.

Get the expansion and newest patch.

I heard something is wrong with 1.14 patch, but not sure.
1.13 does support some 3rd party widescreen patch if you care for such things, so there's that.
That does affect balance though, so I recommend playing at 640x480. I love me some big fat sprites

Thanks a bunch for the in depth explanation. I removed Behemoth and Ghoul, now i have:
Panther, Scholar's Light, Kraken, Assassin's Blade, 2/3 in Hammer and working towards Oleron. I feel like Scholar is the best investment when I'm tight on points and want to reach higher tier devotions.

Haven't played Grim Dawn in ages, is heavy duty Dreeg build still viable?

I want to tell the world again about the wonderful feeling of having your face melted off.

Having tried the Aether Ray, it's very fun but FUCK it's energy hungry. I think I am gonna hold off until I find some good energy regen gear - for now, I can only get to 40-50 per second, not nearly enough. Sticking with the replicating missiles.

If you want to experiment further with your build, remember that physical Commando is a premier sword & board build, and probably the hardest to kill in the game. With optimal gear, you'll lose about 5-10k DPS compared to 2H, but you'll still be doing a comfortable 65-70k and have some more free points since you don't need Kraken and all the supports for it. It'll also give you a 3rd panic button with Overguard, a lot more survivability with the shield, and give you some more flexibility with augments. Also, the best physical set, Warborn, has a 1H mace as its last piece. By ultimate, you'll have the resources to experiment all you need, so keep it in mind.

Can I make my build tankier without going for a shield? I feel like this should be enough by just looking at my numbers but there are still things that take away more than half my health.
These big ass aoe's that some bosses drop on the ground for example, 1 tick often does like 3k damage and it's often hard/impossible to avoid the first tick as a melee build.

Recently died to this boss + a pack and some other boss. Got 1 shot when I was at a bit over 3k health.

Not an expert, but your resistances are rather low. Do you perchance die to mage mobs?

For starters, I'd work on your resists. The guy probably hit you with a Chaos ability and you have 0% Chaos resist. Also I generally try to use components that bump my resists up. For example a Silk Swatch in both your legs and shoulder can get you 36% Bleed & Pierce resist alone. A Runestone in your helm gets you 12% Aether & Elemental resist.

Idk about heavy duty but this build is fairly recent and centered around the Dreeg set. Was thinking of trying it myself but went with a Warlock pet build instead.

grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49047

Forgot to mention if you're at least Honored with any of the factions you can get augments for your weapon and jewelry. Free stats right there.

It's on expert. I can't go any higher because some idiot developer decided to gate the harder difficulties behind a level cap.

If have to cheese the game to unlock difficulties then the difficulty is fucked.

Magic is nasty but even some stronger melee bosses are just super strong.

Yeah I'll work on some resistance I guess, I also have the empty throne to get to which help out a bit. I'll see what enhancement items I have.

Skill-wise, dump the demolitionist castables and pump war cry, the first soldier passive, field command, and the soldier mastery. All of those will either drop enemy damage, give you DA, or up health. Zolhan's/Markovian's and Ulzuin's wrath are both good at 1 point too. Eventually, once you stack +skills, you'll have 6-7 points in each from just that one. You want to focus on getting the 3rd Cadence modifier and exclusive skills pronto.

As and said, up those resists. Cthonians and Aetherials will reduce your chaos/aether resist by 25-40% to add that bit of "fuck you" on top of it. Try not to fight Harbingers/Souldrinkers/Archmages in a crowd. Farm up rep with Devil's Crossing and see what augs they can get you to patch weaknesses. Almost all the good shit comes either from them or Legion anyway. If all of this fails, go back to rotting croplands and bash Gollus until he drops rings with good affixes. Get used to it, because every endgame build will include one of those. Same goes for Ikrix in mountain deeps and his scales.

Ultimately, 2H phys is the providence of warders, and while it shouldn't gate any content hard, you'll be missing the fine-tuned tweaks they have for that style, like specific 2H skills and their health boosts. If you're not averse to a little save modification, grab GD Defiler and see which you like more.

The demo stuff is mostly at 1 point already. So from here I would want to rush Oleron's Rage and skill that to max?
How do I back up my saves if I use steamcloud? I don't want to mess around with Defiler otherwise.

Forgot to post.

Drop jacks and canister entirely. You need to invest in those heavily to get them worthwhile. You also don't need to overcap cadence yet. As for steam cloud, you can always turn it off and just copy the save folder elsewhere. Should be under My Documents or equivalent.

If I turn off steam cloud I don't think the files turn into local files, I'll just find myself with an empty saves folder on my local drive for sure.

Also aren't jacks worth it? They're guaranteed stun in small aoe

Also canister bomb is my only reliable big stun.

Here's the thing: stun doesn't work on bosses, and those are what gives everyone trouble. You should be going straight through mobs without needing to stun them, with AoE from blitz and Cadence. Flashbang is also a way better crowd control mechanic than either of those, especially with the modifier, and it gives you the ever-useful -DA.

Yeah I guess you're right, by now only bosses are an issue for me.
Also I tried removing the class on some low lvl character I don't care about and it worked without any issues so I think I'm gonna try changing to Wanderer. I'm really not a sword & board guy.

Is that still a Cadence build? What's good to get from Shaman?

Swap out whatever you had with demo for the following:
Obviously you might not have the points to do all this right away, but that's the goal. Everything else stays about the same. It's not worth maxing the mastery, since Oleron's Rage is better for a phys build than shaman exclusives. Up to you if you want to get the modifier for healing totem, that's probably the highest rank shaman skill for this build.

Thank you, yeah these shaman things feel way better for my build than demolitionist.

Any GD'er have an opinion on a poison based Blademaster? Been wanting to try a poison build or a BM in general and figured why not just make a poison BM? I know poison can melt the fuck out of mobs but what's the survivability like?

If you're going poison, you should really go occultist instead of soldier. There's a lot more support both within skills and gear, since soldier has absolutely fuckall in the way of poison support. The added survivability of blademaster isn't as great as you might think, since you'll generally either have enough time to get out and recover health, or you'll get shotgunned and go from 100 to 0 in a second.

go occult. Eye and Blood of Dreeg forever. Soldier secondary, especially if you focus blood.

This thread reminded me that I wanted to continue leveling my chaos gunslinger, it's so fun raining fiery death upon everything I see.
I still need my endgame guns and get some good armor so I guess I got a good grind ahead of me

Is the right one better? I go from 15k dps to 17k.

Read the skill description a little more carefully.

I want to love grim dawn, but I always feel like I barely have enough points to do anything more than two bread and butter abilities and have a buncha buffs/auras to support those two.

Like every build feels incomplete or I have just enough points to be unsatisfied.

Yeah, but its still better 90% of the time. But almost everything at lvl 50 is better than 1st belt.

A good section of your abilities aren't actually from your base build, but from items or even components. For example, at level 30ish as a Vitality damage / poison damage occultist, I have a buff from a component (Vitriolic Gallstone's poison buff), a damage skill from a component (Riftstone's teleport attack), a buff from my build (witchfire + Second Rite) , a temp buff from my build (Blood of Dreeg), and a damage skill from my build (Sigil of Consumption) . I think the most damage I achieved at once at level 25ish was from that item skill + my buffs, which lead to like 5.5k on a single blow. That doesn't even get into procs and binds in Devotions.

That's why I'm asking, if not for that it would obviously be way better.
I don't think I want to use it though, don't like negative procs like that in general. RNG could screw me over really bad.

Well, it also has a cooldown of 60 seconds and a duration of 5 seconds. Basically, you cannot be affected by it more than 1/12th of the time at worst.

Destiny is kinda meh when it comes to customization - most of it is in your weapons. Most progress is linear as fuck.

I don't like what grim dawn has turned me into, I was never into arpg's before, except a casual dose of diablo 2

once you start collecting those legendaries you can't stop

it only hides loot, unless you choose to hide everything on the ground, but all the way up to filtering everything but legendaries its still gonna show materials and blueprints etc

like you said, its all about min maxing, as soon as you learn about damage types and what type of stats to look for on gear youll be having fun on ultimate. a good way to start though is getting as much heatlh bonus as possible, I always put a much larger part of points into physique and gear with +health. also resistances are very important for survivability

So, uh, is this graphical glitch common?

Uh, could you point it out?

… Are you blind? He's turned into a pants-wearing Rayman.

I don't see the problem here.

It's not really a problem, but when he raises his 2h rifle, the hands separate from the elbows entirely and float up to where the rifle is.

Here's a much better angle.

First legendary drop I got was the best weapon for my build. It's both a blessing and a curse.

how irrevocably have I fucked up

not at all.

I don't consider it hacking since there's lots of ways you can irrevocably fuck a build unless you do lots of research. I love the viability of different builds that the game presents but not having preset classes means there's lots of wrong decisions you can make.

Whats worse is lack of in game options to remedy errors.

It's a shitty feature.

What? You can easily reset points at the designated NPC

you can't reset attribute or mastery though.

Yea attributes should be able to be respecced too, what do you mean about mastery though? Being able to undo a class choice? I feel like that would be going too far

You can't take points out of the mastery bar

Ah respeccing those back to 1 would be cool too

Gdefiler gives you the option to do that but I've not needed to do that.

It also lets you repick constellations.

The thing is, if they had bothered to offer the respeccing options for a fee I would pay it in game. It could be a large sum of iron bits or require some rare items so you only do it once in a blue moon if you really fucked up.

It's the same problem with level scaling. I shit on dialbo 3 but you can play with any level chracter with another character of any level and everything scales to fit the gameplay.

That's not how GD works and it discourages playing with your friends. Unless you're within a handful of levels of one another EXP gains are cut off for some stupid arbitrary reason. If you're slightly higher level wise the LOWER LEVELED person gains nothing at all. Unless they've changed it in a recent patch.

This could all be fixed with some simple scaling algorithm. A fucking middleschooler could probably figure out a formula for it.

nobody fucking power levels in GD, just hack whatever levels you need if you're needing it for testing purposes or because you're a cheesy cheating cunt.

Dibablo 3 can power level characters with some special mode. I forget what it's called but you can essentially get to the end game levels after a little while of play. This plays into another issue of poor design which requires players to break the game in order to have fun with it.

Diablo 3 could simply provide the harder difficulty at the start and scale it to level as necessary. I guess that would make too much fucking sense.

I more meant "Can I go with Shaman and Demolitionist with a 2handed ranged build and not suck Cthon's bleeding cock constantly" but this works too

also cthon did nothing wrong

Look, I knew people who were so used to being bot-rushed in D2 that they didn't actually understand how to complete the quests. Literally, they had to relearn the entire game.

Anything that does its work at point blank range will benefit from temper and blast shield. Otherwise, you can cook up some fucking nasty caster builds built around lightning.

Do you know if it'll flag you as a "cheater" if you try to play multiplayer? Like would I still be able to join games and trade items with people if I used this?

I have characters from before the game was officially released but I hate the idea of having to create an entire new character because so much shit has changed or I messed up.

Also side-note, I fucking hate how awful the character selection screen is. Having to scroll through the list because it only shows a handful of characters and even worse is the fact that you can't even sort them by level. For a game that encourages making a metric fuckton of characters they should improve that.

if you want I'll test it for you. I think it'll tag you as a "mod user". Unless someone reports you for hacking or abuse you shouldn't get any other flags.

I'm gonna play Torchlight 2 to actually go through it.
Any good recommended mods for a first playthrough?

Bigger bags and tiere'd passives (skills at the bottom of your tree).

I think I also use a once that adds spells to shopkeepers. It also adds skill respec potions and some other things. I like that last one since it seems like spells you want never fucking drop in game.

Nah that's cool, thanks tho. I barely go on multiplayer, was just curious.

Also has anyone used Grim Dawn Item Assistant? I have just about every Epic/Legendary in the game and I have them organized across 20+ characters which is kind of a bitch. Is it anything like PlugY for D2?

Because the boss chests gave fuckall iirc
Because the originals were annoyingly huge.
Adds some variety to the environment.
Adds a nice D2 feel to the UI
For a lot more inventory/stash space

LAO 2.0 is worth checking out imo because it adds a lot of improvements to the itemization but it might change it up too much for your liking if you want to experience the regular game.

Been forever since I played so there might be newer, better mods too.

I'll suck your dick, user. Thanks a lot.

Also, are there some custom classes resembling those from Diablo 2?

I'm sure there are. Just check the community mods page for TL2 and search the respective classes you want to add.

There's probably a mega mod pack that adds a bunch all at once.

Well there's the Paladin mod which I haven't tried but other than that I don't know of any. Never used any class mods personally.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151734627

No, I used Lightning Ball that had a bunch of other cast on hit affects like flammability and elemental weaknesses for my spell and golems to kill things. It's just getting the gear for any Golemancer build was horrible for me, and I got sick of dying even if my golems would clear shit out (If you don't have your most of yourl spell combos let alone any golem gear, Acts 4 Cruel is torture).

I tried to focus on bombs with my build. Did they get better with patches?

I could never get into Torchlight because all of the items were generic as fuck, and itemization was ass-tier levels of bad (Caster stats on heavy plate that required 255 strength). The talents trees were also shitty.

Oh dear fucking Jesus…

necromaners can be increadibly powerfull, but they are a pain to play because the minion ai is retarded if you are playing anything that isnt golems.

to be fair aoe was retarded. you could offscreen enemies with melee skills if you were willing to spend the cash.

nigga you what? its the least p2w possible. also they change the ui art every big patch, people just went into an autistic fit when the globe girld they loved so much disapeared again.

How the fuck do I get this to detect saves? Even after pointing it at my Grim Dawn directory, I get an error and it quits.

Might need to disable cloud saving (both in Steam and in-game). Then run it again and see if it detects the folder.

Unfortunately, doing that eliminates access to my characters entirely.

Do you have your save files downloaded locally (should be Documents/My Games/Grim Dawn/Save)? I believe in the game options under the Network tab, the Download Cloud Saves button will make a folder in that directory. After doing that and disabling cloud saving in-game and Steam, it should detect your characters.

Would like to be more helpful but the cloud saving/local file shit always manages to confuse me. The creator of GD Defiler should really have some documentation for technical issues but I haven't found any…