The witcher

I played the Witcher 2 when it came out and loved it but missed the original.

I picked the game up a few days ago because I wanted to play it before diving into 3 and have just started act 2 but I'm not that impressed.

Combat was quite bad in 2 but in 1 it's utter garbage, like nearly elder scrolls garbage. The slow / fast / group stance system and need to upgrade them separately with talents is also quite wonky, as is the ridiculously small inventory space.

Does the game get better? I'm fairly committed to slogging through it so I can get the most out of 3, which I'm sure is going to be awesome.

It doesn't, in fact it gets worse somehow.
Honestly you are better off just skipping it and watching the cutscenes on jewtube or something.
Witcher 3 corrects virtually every flaw and remains the best WRPG of the millennium by far

get gud
it's a real RPG and not an action adventure.

If the problems you have are these, no, they won't go away as you progress through the game

It starts out really slow but it does pick up steam. I'm not sure if you're autistic as me but I'd recommend playing in Polish as the voice acting doesn't seem as bad then.

Rpggays are funny. They make it sound like their gay casual genre takes more brain power than others, when its the opossite.

Rpggays are so DUMB, jesus christ

You don't get most bestiary entries until you've already killed an enemy type. You still had to gather your ingredients and keep a stock of potions before the nonsensical magical alcohol piss.
Skyrim casuals go away, you're pure cancer.

Oh I forgot to mention you couldn't drink potions from the fucking pause menu either. Defend this shit, casuals.

You are the casual here, buckaroo

Most people stop at the swamp in the middle of the game, never understood why that is the thing that stops players from finishing the game.

Is it really that profitable still?
You'd think that either nop one buys it no matter how much you push for it, or that everyxone who wants it, already has it.

No amount of dodgespam will make up for no damage, faggot, are you playing on easy or something?

Whatever fag.

git gud OP, witcher is amazing

Yeah, people should just stop talking about video games on Holla Forums. That makes sense.

you don't need to do any of that
Apart from blizzard and Swallow all potions are superficial.

this

but i agree with

but 99,9% of your gay rpg games dont do that, you faggots just have a godmode enabled at the press of a button, like the homosexuals you are

You should have played Witcher 1 before 2 to do the save import. It would have made the experience at least worth something in the end if you're not enjoying yourself.

Might be because of the poor navigation cues as a result of weeds acting like map barriers and the tedious enemy encounter rate.

He was talking about the trash game play retard.

3 is no better, it is as a game fucking terrible.

Combat even on the hardest difficulty boils down to this:

Attack 3x
Dodge enemies auto attack
Attack 3x
Dodge enemies auto attack
Igni if you feel excited

This games game play is pathetic, anyone iwth half a brain can slay enemies 40 levels higher than yourself. There is no reason to have levels in this game since all enemies besides the odd boss are the same.

The save import from Witcher 1 to 2 is fucking worthless
It adds gear that'll get outdated by the second area and a pointless character.

If you don't like it don't fucking play it you dumb faggot, make your own decisions instead of crying about your fucking feelings here.

Most people give up at the swamp, I'd suggest reading a guide, it makes the game much more bearable.

Keep in mind a lot of the actions and dialogue choices are a bit like dark souls in the sense that you can miss out on things (like rooting the princess) if you dont answer/do things correctly.

Witcher 1 is a love it or hate it game. It's got a lot problems being CDProjeckt's first game. The gameplay is fine, standard RPG stuff with the styles added to try to add strategy. The pacing is terrible, it starts slow and stays that way until chapter 3/4. Once it gets started though the story is very good. The music and atmosphere are top notch as well. I'd suggest putting it on easy and blasting through encounters. I found putting your talents in main stats like str/dex/etc was far more effective than anything else. And, you can either dump points in igni and blow up every enemy or dump points in aard and stun every enemy so you can 1HKO them, your choice. Like said many people stop at the swamp because there is a lot of going back and forth for quests and the almost nonstop stream of drowners coming out of everywhere.

Try upping from easy.

I'm gonna agree with him to the extent that alchemy felt superfluous - whereas the potions would help witchers take down various types of monsters, now the player can just go run-and-gun and exploit the combat system without ever having to touch a potion. They're relegated to optional buffs that help you kill shit faster, not mandatory as is made out in the lore. Playing on max difficulty, only time I had to use potions with any regularity was in the DLC with the Frog Prince, and once with the Nightmare fight.

Swallow and cat. That's two already, so yeah, I'm calling bullshit. Also

You should just skip to Witcher 3: Skyrim

Isn't that just health regen? Why would you use it when higher-leveled enemies can just kill you in a couple of hits?
Hated it in the second game and hate it here as well. Despite the downgraded lighting, I prefer dark areas compared to looking at everything in the game through murky greenish water.
Thought I was talking about Witcher 3, not 1.
Mate, do you even hear yourself right now? The point I was making is that the potions range from buffs to OP gamebreaking effects - none of which are necessary to play the game - BY DESIGN! This robs the gameplay of flavor the lore gave it, and that is, in my humble viewpoint, a BAD THING.

Because couple of hits still leave you enough room to regenerate. Provided you're not a complete mongo of course. And there's dark and there's (((lightsource needed dark))).

Who the fuck knows? Bottom line is how there's no such thing as a IWIN button potion unless you're a easy baby further stacking odds already stacked in your favor.

I loved the first one. The only problems I had with it were the amount of backtracking and that bug where your save can get fucked and become incompletable if you do a few things in the wrong order.
and FUCK dice poker

dice poker > gwent

And FUCK you too.

Post YFW CuckeD Projekt RED got so buttblasted over gamers complaining about an awful port they quietly cancelled their Witcher 3 Linux port and hoped no one would notice.

I haven't played 3, how shit is gwent?

YOUR MOTHER SUCKS DWARF COCK

dice poker is great, fuck you.

I have no problem with the mechanics of the game itself, it's actually fun. It's the fact that it's rigged in favour of the AI past a point. They simply have a much higher probability of getting a good hand than the player does.

1 is utterly unplayable, the combat is so shoddy I've dumped it twice in the first scenes.

you can add all the bloated HP and damage you want, none of it matters when you drink a blizzard, pop the enemies with aard and one hit kill every single one of them.
you don't even need to use aard. Drinking blizzard is enough to win any encounter in the game.

so shit that it got its own game

Great way to start a series

I pirated all three and I'm still not convinced any of them are worth money for various reasons. CDPR definitely showed a passion for their work in the first one though.

In any case, the combat in 1 is horrendous. It's clunky, it's not very responsive, you can't do what you want to do more than half the time and will be occasionally killed by a joke of an enemy you should by all rights have cut through with ease (I distinctly remember the sewer part with the drowners in the first game). Story was respectable and collecting the cards was amusing since rather than a collectathon it was more a "chat up a babe"-athon.

The second game has significant improvements to combat, it actually felt okay to fight, you knew going into battle what you could and couldn't do and what your options were and you never wondered "okay how will this encounter with two laughably weak creatures go?" However, story suffered a bit, got too bogged down in the whole elves vs. humans thing. Letho is a total bro. Triss and Yenn are both cunts, as are most sorceresses. No point in mentioning this I just wanted to say it.

The third game's combat was fine but I don't remember much else. It was long if you took the time to do everything, I eventually got tired of it and uninstalled before finishing the game. I don't even remember what the plot was.
And for the love of fuck do not read the books, the author has this disgusting submission fetish wherein he basically writes all interactions between Yenn and Geralt as a social metaphor for BDSM or something. Yenn treats him like shit, Geralt swoons all over her, she treats him more like shit but decides to get some sex anyway, Geralt bends over backwards and asks for even more abuse. It gets so bad in the books that anytime Geralt and Yenn are interacting you can tell the author isn't writing Geralt as a character but as an author self-insert for his own sexual fantasies. You can tell the fucking writer desperately wants some hot girl of his own who constantly abuses him, for anyone with a spine, it's hard to sit through his books.

I listened to the audiobooks up to the third(?) book. I remember there was a chapter dedicated to the discussion about a "strong independent woman" getting an abortion after getting pregnant with an elf only for that plot point to get metaphorically aborted right after the discussion.
Then there is the entire existence of vilgefortz who is an even bigger mary stu character than Ciri despite being a villain.

i actually think the combat in one is neat, i would have preferred they keep and improve the rhythm aspect of combat to make it more engaging than lmb roll away ad infinitum. i still say its a worthwhile game to beat. unless you run into a game breaking bug or recurring crash, you wont fix it without restarting the game or going through literally every save to fix it.

dice poker is better than gwent which is the biggest piece of shit next only to the fist fighting mini game.

i hear the actuall card game is ok and not like the minigame. the mini game is inexcusably bad.

dont forget his creepy obsession with lesbians, the writing in the games has always been better than the books.

Combat on the first game is the best of the 3 games. Keep playing only if you like the story, gameplay isnt painfully bad but it's not a selling point exactly. maybe there are mods to fix it, I dont know

What the fuck did I just read

It's not social commentary on women and abortions. It just says sorcerers main income are noble women who can afford magic abortions

I've played 1 and 2 and can already tell you that you're wrong.

2 combat is really slow, and all you do is counter attack or roll to the enemy back. If you choose any difficulty above normal you bleed out after a single hit from any enemy in the game. 3's combat is faster but it fails at everything else, the enemies, skills and mechanics are directly taken out from a korean mmo, for all the flaws the second game had at least things die as fast as you do and leveling up was actually useful. Both are deeply flawed and that makes the first game's combat the best by default

Yeah, it's fun

I mean, you learn the reason for why she's so cold at the beginning of the game.

Also, I'd recommend skipping most of the treasure hunts and not trying to complete every map marker. The game became a lot more enjoyable after I started doing that.

It's decent fun, got some side-quests and reasons to go out and about talking to different npc's around the world. I enjoyed trying to collect all the cards.

what the fuck are you talking about
literally zero sorcerers are with Geralt at that time. The only one who can make that abortion potion is a vampire in the party who argues with the entire group about the ethics of abortion. Sorcerers aren't even brought up in that conversation. Where the fuck did you even get that shit from?

The games have barely anything to do with why the writing in the books is just a fetish vehicle for the author. In fact the original author was mad as fuck over the video games being successful.

Ah, sorry though you were talking about how cold she is in game. Ya, I've heard the author is a fag. I remember hearing that he once said the games had nothing to do with the recent boost in sales of his books.

You said you read up tot he third book so I thought you meant season of storms

It's been a few years since I read that one but from what I recall she barely does anything other than being annoying with that stronk womin attitude, needs constant emotional support to abort the thing and she's the first to die at the ending, rather easily. If anything she's a great portrayal of women, all of that is put on a way it's made clear she's being retarded. The whole hansa was a bunch of depressed emo teenagers, really painful to read some times I cant blame anyone for disliking what is basically a third of the whole saga

Thats the point. She only exists to have that retarded abortion conversation.

If 2 and 3 had the same level of depth as 1's combat we'd all be a lot happier. The games are better to play with each entry, but at the same time just remove certain effects/strategies for streamlining/casuzalization.

1 is a very rough game though despite its strengths. Its certainly worth sticking with, at least for one playthrough. Chapter 4 is top tier though.

Chapter 4 is great on its own but they put it way too late in the game and it ruins the pacing of the main story.

Not really no.
And good luck with 3. It's a cutscene simulator with some automated horse riding in between.

Yennifer is a cunt in the games and is hot and cold with Geralt all the time, but we're talking about the books here. In the game, it appears as though Geralt is playing a "will they/won't they" kind of game where he's ambivalent or confused or just don't know or care. In the books, well, it's essentially written like horrible fanfiction of some tumblrina's favorite ship or something. It's bad.
Yenn is still shit in the games but she's far worse in the books, and so is Geralt.

Combat in all the games is flawed, honestly. It just depends on what brand of flaw you prefer. Personally I think 2 is "better" than the other two games in that it's less shitty than 1 and it's not the casualized fucking joke that 3's system is.

Act 4 was worth all the shitty combat

This user is right. I love the witcher 1 but it's flaws are obvious but they're part of what makes it a comfy ride. Polished AAA games are notfun and all but I really enjoy going back to basics with babby's first game at times.
You go back to the swamp a few times so grab the mod that increases movement speed. It's a bit of a god send at times. And keep a wolf pelt on you to give to the dryad, otherwise you can't fugg her.
and Alvin did nothing wrong

I think it's rather the difference in social standing showing. Sorceresses are quite powerful to the extent of being royal court members, yet witchers are just another type of a cutthroat for hire, treated like lepers when not needed.

OP here. How the hell do I find a numerical value for my HP, endurance, resistances, DPS etc?

Can't seem to find it anywhere.

I recently picked up 1 again after dropping it at chapter 2 due to real life being a demanding whore. The combat is clunky as hell, but being active with dodging and signs as well as prepping yourself with potions does give it a small sense of depth. I'm playing on hard as everyone told me that everything else is too easy, and I find it to be just right. If I didn't have to dodge then I would be bored out of my mind watching Geralt slowly kill everything as I mindlessly tap the mouse button. I look forward to beating it and moving on to 2, if only because the plot and RPG elements are the only really good components that the game has.