Best resource management simulator?

I'm looking for a good strategy/economic game. I like the resource management of many RTS games but I hate getting bogged down with combat or other shit that detracts from my advancement.

I played Offworld Trading Company for a while which was fun but got same-y super fast and has almost no replay value once you get through a few of the scenarios.

So what's the best game that can give me all the satisfaction of managing resources and advancing technology like Sim City but without the tedium of having to micromanage literally every aspect of the game? I just want to run a business or be a mayor, I don't want to have to literally be god or the fucking chosen one at the same time.

Other urls found in this thread:

capitalismlab.com/new-features.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stronghold 1.

Football manager if you like football.

Nope. War is always so fucking boring.

I don't know jack shit about football. I assume you'd have to have at least a working knowledge of players and strategy to be any good at that game.

Capitalism Lab

Isn't this game just called Capitalism? I played a game very very similar but I don't remember it being called Capitalism Lab.

Yes, a basic knowledge of football tactics goes a long way, but I don't think it's essential as you can learn everything while you play. What is important is that you enjoy football and you find a club you find interesting, if you don't then the game can get tedious very quickly, it's certainly not for everyone. But if you do enjoy football and find a club you want to manage it's fun as nothing else, at least to me. It's very satisfying when you bring a lower league team to the top division and eventually became a regular competitor in Europe. You still need to have a special kind of autism to fully enjoy it, there is a free demo on steam so you can try it for free and see for yourself.

Capitalism Lab is an improved version of Capitalism 2.

In what ways is it improved? I liked Capitalism.

Hmm, don't think it'd be for me since I give exactly no fuck about football. Worth a free demo I suppose though.

capitalismlab.com/new-features.html

Holy shit that's a lot of big changes. Was this an official improvement or fan made?

zeus/poseidon was pretty fun in that aspect
first you need food, then fleece, olive oil, armor, horses, wine
and if at some point you have a shortage of any of those, you start losing people, and if your industry's priorities aren't set correctly, you also get an even bigger shortage on some of the other resources, further ruining your society

Patrician and The Guild are nice game series btw.

Well, if you recommended Sierra strategy games, i might as well recommend Anno series.

Play Anno 1404 in a solo map or with only peaceful AI for the trade.
You can also

Fuck I accidentally hit reply before finishing.
You can also try Anno 2070 if you can stomach shitty DRM.
Just stay away from Anno 2205, it's casualized unfinished crap with even worse DRM.

All anno games are almost the same tbh, 1404 is overrated for the amount of shilling it gets here. Older ones like 1503 and 1701 are great too.

This is true. You mostly pick what color of paint you want your buildings and boats to have

Dont forget Emperor Rise of the middle kingdom.

It's just the newest and prettiest Anno game before getting fucked with DRM, that's all.

Good suggestions so far guys, i appreciate the lack of screeching autism for once.

So far I'm going to check out Anno 1404, Capitalism Lab, and Stronghold. Any others I should give a look?

->

That looks like an absolute visual clusterfuck? How hard is it to navigate the map or select things?

Same system as Simcity4 or Zeus.

Tropico 1-2, Railroad tycoon 2, Mob Rule, Fast Food Tycoon 2

Played Tropico and Railroad. Is Mob Rule just like a more expanded version of those old Mafia mobile games? And is fast food tycoon like the other tycoons or is it more like diner dash?

Mob Rule is an expansion to Constructor with more focus on illegal activities.
More like Mob Rule with pizza theme.

I've always thought of myself as such a nerd for living that game
played the shit out of capitalism 2, what's the deal with this new version?

If you're not playing competitively you can just pirate 2070, it's still playable without ark upgrades.

Also Tycoons best faction

Tetris

Ultimate ironman

Shekel Clicker

Spotted the spineless, testosteronelless, giant dick sucking homo.

Motosport Manager
Do you suck dicks OP?

Stronghold 1 has literally an economic campaign, where your goal is to gather X amount of wood/food etc.

It also has a freeplay mode, where you can spend time building your castle comfily.

The Guild or The Guild 2 with that patch that unfucks it.

Also maybe The Patrician series. Maybe even tycoon games like Airline Tycoon or OpenTTD.
Are you perhaps German OP? You seem like a German.

That's the thing though. It shouldn't be boring but it is. When I play a civ game I turn it into a diplomatic game where I focus on taking a few empires smaller than mine and making them completely dependent on me for luxuries and technologies. The extra income from this fuels deficit research spending which allows me to do this to larger empires, exerting my control implicitly rather than directly. And that's just one example. It's way more fun.

Is OpenTTD good? I downloaded it but have been forgetting to test it out.

Majesty

That's a politics game, not war game. A politic strategy game involves war, resources, diplomacy, economy…
A pure martial strategy game is actually fun. Have you ever played Advance Wars, you fucking newfag?

It's not just Civ. It's other strategy games, too. When I play Victoria 2, I focus on my own country. When I play an Age of Empires game, I focus on my economy and sometimes forget the opponents are even there. So with that in mind, why would I decide to invest time in a game that markets itself as being the thing I don't really enjoy?
I've been here all summer :^)

Very much so, you can also grab mods easily ingame for whatever you want. I personally have it set up so I can start in the 1700s with only horse-drawn carriages and work up to hover-buses and magrails but there are many ways to set it up.
Also can be played in a sort of coop by having a bunch of friends all play as the same company (you are essentially the same player in a multiplayer game vs AI).

Here's the mods I have for reference though I haven't actually played it for about a year and a half so perhaps some of these have newer versions that are incompatible. I doubt it though, generally they all play together nicely.
That modpack will give you a comfy, slower game designed around fighting the AI rather than other players. It's possible to go bankrupt early on cos fuck horses. Also if you do play it toggle on the option to automatically replace old vehicles with modern ones.

you might like planetbase. It's on GoG, so you should be able to find a download pretty easily.

Thank you very much! I'll have to test it out later.

Speaking of mafia-related games, I remember playing a demo of a game where you send clubmen and then pistolmen to businesses to make them pay you. I think that if the establishment offered no resistance, they said "sure, I'll pay", and a dollar sign appeared above it. Must have been 12+ years ago. Anyone knows the name of the game?

install gentoo

Gangster Organized Crime? There was also another game where you could have children and it was more cartoony, espace from paradise city I think

Nope, that's not it.

Constructor was another game like that.

also to add to the list
both awesome, and trains!

. www.old-games.com/download/5370/legal-crime ?

I just wanted to laugh at OP for not like military games. Fucking bitch

That's the game. Thanks.

when did that get fixed? they used to only work sometimes
the guy in the webm said "muh kids" and got 4 years in prison

Play CS:GO and exclusively use the CZ

Not sure, there's a community patch thing that fixes the game up a fuckton but maybe they've rolled that into the main game nowadays.

nah i mean from the patch. ive been using it for a while but court cases always break eventually. this latest version of the patch i haven't had one court case/town meeting fail to start from retarded AI

Oh, nice to hear then. I've only dabbled a bit in The Guild 2 (mostly with a friend or two playing also) so I only check in now and then.

Just play Advance Wars you damn nigger.

Civ 4 Colonization
Imperialism 1 / 2

no