The persistence of memory

Are any of you like me?

I play vidya about 50 hours a week but haven't touched any games made after 2013 or so and probably 95% of what I play was released pre-2010, and 80% before 2000.

I have no interest in modern consoles. I have a PC that can easily play the latest games but always come back to stuff like Master of Orion 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Doom, Quake, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Star Control 2.

The last console I owned and enjoyed was a Gamecube, although I have enjoyed some Wii games that I've emulated with Dolphin.

Are any of you like me? Do you also feel like gaming has just completely rotted into something that tries to blur the line between a game and some kind of political or emotional or identity based nonsense? It seems so nebulous to me now, what are games trying to achieve these days? Can't we just play a game and have a good time without some cunt with a mickey mouse degree try to bust my balls because I don't mind whether I play as a guy or a girl? Or because I kill 99.99% men in a game but a glancing bullet injures a woman, making me a misogynist?

Other urls found in this thread:

pouet.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, I think that you're in a similar situation to most people here. That's why I spend a little more time shitposting rather than playing vidya now

I play the sporadic actually good newer releases, but besides that I'm pretty much the same.
Modern vidya is mostly shit with some sprinkles of brilliance here and there.
Most of it is just creatively and even morally bankrupt.

Preaching to the choir, m8.

But to answer your question, yes, albeit not in the same way.
I'm working through my GBA backlog on my Everdrive.
AGS-101, if you wanted to know what I'm playing it on.

It's an amazing system, and I'm continually blown away by what I'm finding I missed out on. Least of which are Japan exclusive, shit like F-Zero Climax, Kuru kuru kururin, MOTHER 3, etc, and all the great sidescrolling action games.

I played a crap ton of DS games too, but it doesn't have the same nostalgia boner as the GBA for me.

I can't think of a reason to own a modern console or play most modern games. There's one modern game I'm interested in and even then I have to run it on the minimum settings because of my toaster.

Was unable to formulate the sentence you just said. This is exactly what I was trying to get at.

Go on….

I'm pretty sure it's stuff you played, if you're asking about the sidescrollers.
So avoiding the obvious like Astro Boy, MMZ, Aria of Sorrow, etc, uh.

I think those ones are oft overlooked. There was also some top down isometric scifi game, with good spritework, someone on Holla Forums described it as metroid like and maze like. Forget what it was, but I know the palette had a lot of purple, too.

Ninja Five O is the shit
Don't forget Super Robot Taizen OG 1 and 2 plus J which has a fan translation

I don't know, will I get dubs for this post?
You mean a piece of work that people try to use as some political statement when it's really just a shitty idea that they pulled out of their ass? Felt that way since middle school about a lot of things.
Their identity.

since I'm not poor I play new games and old games, there's lots to enjoy about both.

You're the reason this board is trash.

There's never a discussion about games, it's just people praising old games and talking about how every single new game is shit because it's new, so that you can shit talk about the game you didn't even play, because you don't want to get out of your lazy ass to try a single new thing. Fuck all of you.

X-COM: UFO Defence had ballistic physics in 1994. And you'll still get these retards every now and then claiming that Console X-COM was anything but a multi-decade leap backwards.

im a neet who plays a single shitty mmo a good 70-95% of the time im awake; fight me fgt

Then, care to provide examples recent titles that are good (That isn't a Japanese game, I might add)?

We have a Subnautica, Souls, indiegame, Yakuza, Arms, Persona, Metroid Prime 4 and Berseria thread besides the fact that we had and have countless Witcher 3, MGSV, Syrian Warfare, Battlefleet Ghotic, EDF 4.1, Modern Falcom, Senran Kagura, Nier, Ace Combat 7, Bannerlord and Mario threads.

Honestly, you're the one that should consider sudoku, especially if you can't admit that gayman has took a huge dowmwarsa dip in quality despite all the nice gems out there.

Old games were made by people that loved them, nowadays they're made by people that started playing with the XBox

The SJW stuff at the end seems unrelated, that feels like more of a marketing thing than gameplay. IMO its the hollywoodization of games, lack of player agency, hands inside the ride, no sharp corners, no fail states, everything pretty for the screenshots at the cost of shitty controls, and lastly good gameplay comes from experience, and many of the devs these days didn't play games the way we did, so they dont intrinsicly know what makes a game good

Endless Space 2.

I'm so glad I've never purchased a Ubisoft game.

Those humungous entertainment wii games arent official?

Why the fuck do you give the thread a title like "The persistence of memory" when it has nothing to do with the actual fucking topic of the thread? Were you originally going to write about how you used to be able to remember games, and now you can't because you don't find them memorable? Either way, I think you're a bit of a fucking snowflake, and annoying as hell.

In the sense that are we all just aging hipsters who only play old games because they're no longer popular and have no audience any longer? Cause no, fuck you.

Yeah, Dark Souls III was a game all about your time spent in high school, you big fucking poof. Maybe if you spent more time playing games, and less time viciously hissing at the no games movement that people don't give a shit about, you might actually like some games. Toukiden 2 is all about how you should avoid being Republican, clearly. Resident Evil 7 was all about female empowerment, like that time during the game when you stabbed a woman in the fucking chest and then shot her in the head.

It depends on the game, but most games are trying to tell a story, or achieve a theme. They're not all Life is Tumblrs, you big nancy.

Yeah, you can, you're really looking for the argument on this one. I get it, you guys spend too much time around here, you become very negative and fixated, and you start to see an attack vector in every line of dialogue, but sometimes a game is just a fucking game. The guy who made Space Engineers didn't think to himself "how can I fight the patriarchy?" The guy who made Risk of Rain didn't think "I should make only the female character any good, make all the males bad in some way!" Get a life, man.

Why would you even fucking bother reading what some game journalists fucking wrote? Patricia Hernandez got busted on her shit, making out like her husband was a poor excuse for a husband because he let her die in a fucking video game, and then it turned out that she was just looking for the gripe because she'd previously accused him of cheating and then found evidence that he was NOT cheating… And then it came to light that she actually WAS cheating on her husband, and left him.

Yeah if you think that cunt writing something about misogyny and racism because you kill female ninjas or black zombies has any value, then you're a bit of a tard. And Anita Sarkeesian is very quickly doing the work that people have been trying to do for years, showcasing and painting her for the hate-filled liar that she is. She's burning through any credibility she had left.

Fact of the matter is, games as art has been a fucking idea for a long time, and there's nothing wrong with the idea of people thinking of games as art, art does not inherently mean fucking Gone Homo or Life is Tumblr. Just like games as art doesn't mean we lose Duke Nukem (although at this point, maybe we should) or Dark Souls. Just look at the progression of any medium of art. Mainstream movies started off like Citizen Kane, but would you compare Citizen Kane to fucking Transformers 4? I sure hope you wouldn't, cause you'd be more than a bit of a dumbass. But no one goes and says "Transformers 4 is proof that movies are not art."

Your dislike of people who choose to make what they call "art games" does not mean that other games are not also art, they just don't try to toot their own horn to make up for their lack of .. fucking everything, if we'll be 100% honest.

They were, but they were actually illegal copies of SCUMMVM, that's the thing.

Pretty much. There's only a handful of games past 2005 worth playing imo, and I wouldn't really call any of them masterpieces. Luckily, I haven't played many of the old classics, so I have the luxury of going through years worth of games during their peak. Many of them have the added bonus of being highly replayable, so I'll be set for a long time.

Congrats you just realized we haven't had a good game in half a decade and before that good games were becoming more and more rare.
Enjoy the ride.

Was there any lawsuit or any legal problems?

It's not as though there's been a single good game out of Japan in the past 5 years.

Kek, try a decade and a half.

This is why you don't even have any online friends. Why not make a thread about a game you actually like instead of a hipster circlejerk you humongous faggot.

Fucking hell m8

/thread
OP isn't necessarily wrong, but if he wasn't a newfag he'd know everyone already shares his sentiment. Not to mention there are new good games that come out every once and a while, and OP is so jaded he can't have fun outside of his comfort zone anymore.

OP here. Suggest five games released on the PC in the last 2 years that are worth my time and I'll check them out.

But, the game is owned by Amplitude, so I'll give you that.

The stuff published by Sega/Atlus, Nintendo/NoJ (Which was then ruined by Treehouse), Koei Tecmo, Idea Factory, Marvelous, and Kadokawa Dwango, Neir: Automata…

Stasis, Obduction,Hand of Fate, Orwell, Immortal Redneck, Detention, The Final Station

Beholder, Cities Skylines, Shadow Tactics, Project Skyrise, Mini Metro, Hover, House of the Dying Sun, Brigador, The Talos Principle, Hollow Knight

Thanks guys, I'll check these out later. Looks like Hollow Knight is being speedrun at SGDQ in a little while.

I haven't played any games made after 2013 so how would I know they were shit you fucking idiot? I'm asking for suggestions from a video game image board precisely to get around wading through shit to get to the good stuff.

You can tell if a game is shit just by watching some gameplay video.
No need to be some hipster nigger faggot " I DUN PLAY DA GAMES MADE AFTER 2XXX YEAR"
There are few good games released every year

Nah, you can't.

Yes you fucking can, what kind of mongoloid cant tell if the gameplay isnt good? Unless you are some gay "story based' faggot, then you are hopeless, just go watch movies.

You will have to forgive me, b8 threads are a dime a dozen now a days. At most I can suggest Grim Dawn if you like Diablo type of games. Cities Skyline WITH MODS if you like city sim games, Crypt of the Necrodancer if you like rhythm games, Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom if you like shootan games.

This might be the dumbest statement I've read on this site.

I mean, fuck off.

Nevermind, you are a faggot and I doubt you are old enough to have this mindset.

I wish I could call this summer but this place is like this the whole year around

You and your ilk are the reason there's a system (thank god) on Steam that prevents people leaving feedback on games they haven't played.

Holy fuck how delusional do you have to be think that any judgement call you have on the gameplay, feedback, responsiveness and experience of a game based purely on a gameplay video will be anything other than the most useless, superficial and shallow interpretation possible.

How the fuck can you breath and type at the same time with that intelligence?

W
e
w

Wait, what? Where did I imply anything approaching this comment?

Pirating before buying is exactly the way to go, especially since game demos are all but obsolete.

Pirating / demos are the only way to accurately gauge the gameplay of something. Trying to use experience of previous games to predict how a game will play is hopeful at best and misleading / totally misrepresentative at worst.

I remember being a naive, casual pleb like you. I once saw some footage for a game called Lair on the PS3 around 10 years ago. I think it might have been a launch title. Anyway, it looked awesome and I went ahead and bought it.

Needless to say the game is infamous for playing like hot dog shit, mostly due to the inexplicable locked usage of motion controls, and I was completely foolish to be influenced by gameplay footage.

that was one of the dumbest posts i ever saw on Holla Forums

I don't think you have the intelligence to help anyone let alone yourself!

I like the remix version of that painting.

I sold my PC and use a sandy bridge laptop with integrated graphics now. If it doesn't work on my laptop, it can fuck right off. The library of games I can play on this thing is still huge. The only recent games I play are the rare gems like Factorio and a couple of my multiplayer guilty pleasures which I will not shill here.

I haven't played anything in 2 weeks. I sleep at least 8 hours each night and yet I feel tired as shit by noon. I don't fucking get it, it's like my body is stuck in some kind of perpetual state of no energy. Right now I feel like laying my head down and taking a nap.

Sounds like you have vitamin D deficiency.

Try and get 30 mins of sun a day and/or buy supplements. I had this problem too and it fixed it within a week.

I run for at least 45 minutes a day and walk my dog at least three times, I doubt it's lack of sunlight.

Your body might not just be able to absorb D for some reason. I have the same problem. I am weak as fuck and I have trouble staying up past 10pm but somehow wake up at 5 am feeling sick to my stomach. Went to the doctor to see what's up. Turns out my vitamin D was so low the doctor said I had a negative number where a healthy person has a number between 30 and 70. Turns out my body doesn't absorb it even if I bake in the sun all day. Feels real bad, man.

I haven't been to a Doctor in over a decade, can't afford it. Between this and the random throbbing chest pains I get I probably won't be long for this world. Fuck it, nobody gives a shit about you unless you have money.

The worst part is the fact they they drag their feet with paperwork but it's free and if the niggers can abuse the system then why can't people that actually need the help?-

You yanks have fucking retarded healthcare.

Morality, unless you actually are a nigger. What we should be doing is holding people to a higher standard, and tell them to fuck off or throw them out if they seek to lower that standard.

10/10 logic right there!

Back to >>>/reddit/
>>>/somethingawful/
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/cuckchan/

Lot of cucks coming out of the wood work.

Holla Forums truly needs more posters like you

EDF 4.1, Grim Dawn, Particle Fleet, Creeper World III, Factorio
If EDF cannot make you realize that modern games can still be good, then you are forever lost and should seek a new hobby. I personally suggest model kits.

Been playing fulltime since 1997, at least 60 hours a week average if not more.
I have a lot of interest in modern consoles but little interest in the majority of the games being released on them. As you get older, the memory of all that gaming all blurs together and only certain things stick out from 20 years ago. You remember some things vividly and completely forget some too. Soon I will forget all of my memories of gaming I suspect, but I won't forget OP's lame ass thread.

I just play Japanese games.

Not really, I just find myself aching for a certain genre of games similar to Ratchet and Clank that I can't find.
Age isn't really a problem in the sense of quality, partly because anything AAA I cannot run on this PC, but also anything AAA is more often than not absolute shit that I do not want to touch with a pole.
My problem is that, aside from the ratchet and clank problem is that games don't really seem to last as much as I'd like them to, and weirdly enough I've started working out and reading books and shit and cutting down on browsing and vidya these past few months, which is when this deal of games not lasting long enough started.

I play never games too in the hope I might find something that actually isn't shit. There are some modern games that are fairly good. They aren't many, however, and a lot of them absolutely need mods to be fun.

I'm like this. But I don't avoid modern games because of the politics or the personalities or the corporate maggots or for any aspect of the industry, really. I avoid them because they are all just plain bad games.

Only game I ever purchased where Rayman Origin. To think their once was a time when they actually made great games.

was *

You think Holla Forums needs more faggots? Holla Forums doesn't have enough faggots?

Lot of butthurt nugames posters in this thread. I can only laugh knowing that you're the target audience for developers who dumb down games for mainstream appeal.

Can't say it better myself

Tbh. You can't get dissapointed OP if you know exactly what you're looking for. Shutting yourself away isn't doing you any favors, although it doesn't harm you either. I just personally like to play fun games no matter how old or new, whenever I feel like it. I don't let nostalgia get in the way. Or perhaps i'm too young and pure in that regard to relate to OP

(checked)

I used to be until the demoscene added gamedev category to many of the parties. Go here and check out some of the party results:

pouet.net/

Thanks user.

People get too fucking asshurt about someone they don't like making games. I don't give a shit if someone has opinions I disagree with when they make entertainment.

Play some video games OP.

I fucking swap IPs twice to congratulate myself and this is the thanks I get? Fuck you faggots, I'm gonna go cut my nutsack off and overdose on estrogen. Peace out niggas.

Finally.

My nigger. Been playing nothing but Gamecube for over a month. It is the last gamer's console. Dreamcastfags can suck it; their games suck compared with thd Gamecube's library.

Yeah I'm pretty much just like you, I rotate between older games just because I have no interest in modern games and anything related with games no is pure fucking cancer; I mean, even here you have lots of cancer, but it's still better than 99% of other game related places. The only good modern games that I played recently were Bloodborne, and Super Hot VR when I was at a party. For the most part this past year, when I'm not working or out drinking with my friends, I'm usually playing Darklands or going back and forth between older JP sound novels like Otogirisou, Zakura no Aji, Hayarigami, Machi, Getsumen no Anubisu, Majoutachi no Nemuri, etc. etc. And Master of Orion 2, good shit right there, I still play that game at least once or twice a month. I do buy a few things on PS3 network once in awhile, like Sly Cooper Collection or just play whatever I have on my SFC. I guess though when you have played almost every major game that has been released in the past 30 years, it comes to a point where things are just being repeated or are stupid "tributes" to old games but miss what made those games good. And last but not least, speaking of Gamecube, I just got my copy of Eternal Darkness back from my friend, so I am looking forward to playing through that again. Sorry for the rambling post, I've been working for 13 hours straight and have barely slept that much in the past week.

(OP)
Calculated down to the percentage, only 18.75% of my faves are from 2010 or later. Probably closer to 20% (give or take) factoring in some others and PC games.

As many others have already said, you're preaching to the choir OP. I browse 8/v/ because I assume that the lion's share of active users are jaded elitists. It just isn't the same anymore.

Yes, nostalgia factor is always a fundamental share of vidya preferences. But I do echo the popular opinion of modern advances and the present political clime contributing to overall decline - both real and perceived.