How time flies

Gothic 2 is an atrocious memory hog.

I have 256 MB of RAM on my machine. Gothic 2 goes through those like Pac-Man gobbling up dots, and then goes into virtual memory. Eventually it uses up all virtual memory, forcing an increase in the size of the paging file, and sometimes my system still runs out.

rpgamer.com/games/gothic/gothic2/reviews/goth2strev1.html

We can never go back.

Other urls found in this thread:

systemreqs.com/ro/joc/thief-ii-the-metal-age
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

get with the times grandpa

what the fuck

I remember having 1GB ram back when I played Gothic 2
Wasn't 256MB the literal minimum for most games back then?

Processor: Intel Pentium III 700 MHz.
Memory: 256 MB Ram or higher.
Graphics: 3D graphics card with 32 MB Ram.
DirectX®: 8.1.
Hard Drive: 4 GB.
Sound: DirectX compatible.

yep

Celeron 400mhz, 32mb of ram, voodoo 3 16mb

Sure we can. Deus Ex is doing that to 8 gigs of my ram right now.

Remember when games used to do this shit?
>You'll never get to play with those moody Matrox graphics again

I love how I can run DX perfectly but can get sub 10 fps on modern low-res 2d sprite platformers. So many games nowadays are optimized like complete shit.

That's quite a lot for a game back in the 2000s

systemreqs.com/ro/joc/thief-ii-the-metal-age

This fucker why does it need 64mb of graphics?

If a game is slowly using up more and more memory over time, it means the programmers didn't deallocate memory properly. There are these things in programming called pointers, which can point to a block of memory. Pointers can also be used to create new blocks of memory, this is called dynamically allocated memory. Just like pointers can be used to create new blocks of memory, it can be used to delete blocks of memory. All blocks of memory must have some sort of variable or pointer pointing to that piece of memory, or else it is inaccessible. What's supposed to happen is that a pointer creates new memory (memory allocation) and then the pointer is used to delete that block of memory when it is no longer needed (memory deallocation), finally the pointer is deleted or set to 0.

What's happening in the background, which is a mistake, is the following: A pointer is created and creates a new block of memory. After that block of memory served its purpose, the pointer is deleted or set to 0. But there's the flaw, you forgot to use the pointer to delete that block of memory, all you did was delete the pointer pointing to it. And with no pointer pointing to that block of memory, that block of memory cannot ever be accessed again. That block of memory will take up space until the entire program is terminated.

This is how you end up with stupid shit like Hearts of Iron games recommending at least 8GB of RAM for your games to not crash often out of nowhere. There is a huge amount of let's play series of Hearts of Iron that always ends up in a crash to desktop and a corrupt save file.

That's almost as bad as making the game bypass your own computer's settings and bringing everything to a crawl because it outright ignored your own graphics card settings.

i fucking hate it when devs do that.

I think I was on a computer built in about 98 at that time, all I can remember is it had a Pentium II 450 MHz. Next upgrade I did wasn't until around Half-Life 2, I think. It at least played Gothic 1.

That's false and sounds like a rubbish site, that required all of 16MB or less pretty sure.

That's RAM, my man.

You have one hell of a toaster of a PC my man.

Unreal Tournament 2004 taking up 5 gigs blew my mind in the day. That was back when I still had a 50GB hard drive, Now I've filled up a full TB drive and ordered a extra 2TB drive for storage.

Not true. It came with my Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer. 16MB Voodoo3s and Nvidia TNT was commonplace. I had a 32MB Geforce 2 GTS so I was rockin.

Pretty sure the game could run in glide on a single Voodoo2

You did minimal installs and it would load assets from CD. Also the music was either midi, mod on disk or redbook on cd.

1GB was pretty usable until 1997 or 1998.

fallout 1 installed to 500mb on a full one.

I spend over a year saving for that card. At the same time my 11 year old retarded ass wondered why the fuck after reinstalling Windows I can't play some games. I used to be able to play Croc 2 for example, now I can't run it? What the hell?

Years later when I was reading a game magazine I found out that S3 Trio actually supported 3D acceleration - then I pieced it all together, I just had to install the fucking drivers. All that time I was playing Unreal in fucking software mode and it looked like shit, Unreal Tournament didn't look much better (at least these worked). I could even have a shot at playing Quake III, apparently it would work if I tweaked some settings.

Anyone remember how it was possible to do a "minimal install"? Just the most essential files were copied and the rest was loaded from a CD, I loved that shit.

I have 10TB full of crap and will probably get another 10 by christmas.

It was spread out on 4 disks.

I never used the minimum instal feature, but nowadays it would be handy. A modern cod game takes 50gb now.

those were the days.

gothic 2 was never a problem for me though becaues i had a new computer, gothic 1 on the other hand took about 5 minutes to load, almost as long to save and crashed constantly.