Childhood Trauma

What are some levels or enemies which scared the living shit out of you as a kid to the point where you were too afraid to even complete the game?

The Desert of Knaaren in Rayman 3 was absolute nightmare fuel for me. It's a dark lava place haunted by Teensie ghosts as the creepiest music played, on top of the Knaaren which are these massive disfigured giants who are also fucking INVINCIBLE, so you have to run away from them for the entire level. They were so fucking scary to me that I didn't have the guts to finish the game until one year later.

Also Clanker's Cavern in Banjo-Kazooie which pits you against a GIANT FUCKING METAL SHARK and the Whomp boss of the first Super Mario 64 level with its scary-ass face. Regrettably I never finished those games either. I should also mention System Shock 2 which spooked the ever-living shit out of me the moment you really stepped into Med-Sci as the wild techno rave music started playing. When I tried to replay it from the start, the prospect of the terror that awaited me was enough to quit out of fear even during the training sequence.

Other urls found in this thread:

cartoonnetwork.com/games/courage/nightmarevacation/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*Stimpy Voice*
"Ha ha! Okay ren!!*

This fucker.

Anything invincible that murders your ass for taking too long or otherwise fucking up somehow is high on that list.

Also, the SM64 eel.

Maybe its cause im tired but that clanker image is nightmare fuel.

Even though ingame he is a good guy that image just ticks all of my scared boxes.

Fuck, this level straight up stopped me from playing the game as a kid. It gave me an irrational fear of those ghosts coming out of nowhere.
I tried it again as an adult, but it was the PC version, and fucking hell the port is abysmal it made me stop playing it again.

captcha: damsxy

The eel gave me nightmares and one of the reasons i never fully 100% completed SM64 and it still scares the shit out of me and what's worse they made it even more frightening in SMG by making it even more hideous.

This mother fucker made me avoid Noki Bay entirely. Can't remember if I beat it or not.

I never was so scared on another Nintendo game.. (And almost all over the other bosses were on an equal level of disturbingness)

Long-term timers scared me to no end. I still haven't seriously played Pikmin because I feel pressured to hurry up at all time.

I completed the games, but the living bush creatures in Spyro games that would shake violently and then lunge at you and swallow you whole were fucking terrifying. Still are, really.

They look goofy as fuck with the big googly eyes

that boss and Phantamanta spooked the shit out of me, I hope Odyssey has something similar

If I had to guess, it's spookier because of the surrounding atmosphere being harder to see in a distance and open oceans like that are terrifying. Less the creatures and more things coming at you from the fog ahead while under water.

Xen scared me. Shortage of ammo made it worse. I'd spend time in whatever small peaceful room I found building courage to face the next segment.

bart getting deep fried, turned into a corndog, than Homer casually eating him scarred me for life

Ichthyosaurs always freaked the absolute fuck out of me, something big and angry rushing at you from poor-visibility water hits every instinctual spoop button. Really the only part of Half-Life that legitimately scared me or hit my horror buttons beyond the mind-rape implications of Headcrabs.

Then HL2 cut almost all the aliens out because reasons. God damn it.

This shit right here.

This and the death theme scared the shit out of me as a kid

Not all of them. :^)

Wallmasters from Zelda spooked me the fuck out for some reason. I had to have my older brother beat the sections of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask that had them.

I wasn't too scared to complete the game, but i'm not good with scary shit and my heart was pounding as i fought this fucker.

I still hear the screams. They won't go away.

I know my cousin was initially too chickenshit to play RE4.

I started playing through it, and she eventually wanted to play too once I started getting stronger stuff like grenades and the shotgun that could easily kill off the angry spaniards spooky zombies by the dozen.

captcha: bjgoat

hot

This shit right here fucked me up.

Was mario 64 just some nightmare generator?

This undead sack of shit right here actually made me cry when I was a smol child.

Why didn't you save them?

Yeah, Clanker and meeting him is just scary for kids. He's a huge, sharp toothed, breathing rusty shark that has eyes that follow you wherever you go and his insides are made of organic lashing bits and sawblades. Being underwater where movement is slower and clumsy did not help and I think that's why the Eel from Super Mario 64 was scary too. Also the huge chunks of exposed flesh on Clanker's sides did not help things either.

Don't worry user. I still hear screams as well.

Most common things didn't scare me as a kid, like the eel and the piano from Mario 64. But I was afraid of anything happening suddenly without warning. It was like everything was a potential jumpscare to me and I was constantly on edge. It didn't even have to try to be scary - fucking Navi's "HEY" suddenly popping up was enough. I never played got far in Banjo-Kazooie because Gruntilda's head randomly pops up in the bottom of the screen to talk to you in the overworld. Also, that song in Resident Evil 2 with the *CRASH*. That one was at least legit, I shit a brick at that.
I really don't know what was wrong with me.

You had PTSD, user.

That would make a lot of sense actually. According to my parents when I was 3 I heard someone shoot a gun and I just fucking bolted on instinct.

I wasn't scarred or anything, but in the first Animal Crossing when you killed a cockroach in your house a little ghost appeared, and that made me upset. Not the ghost, but the fact that I killed the cockroach. It's weird what freaks you out as a kid. I killed things in other games without a problem.

This fucking faggot right here.

This fucking face, had nightmares after I saw it. I only played Duke Nukem twice I think, never even beaten the first level.
I generally had some body-modification phobia, so androids and cyborgs were my worst nightmare.

Those fucking eyes…

These fuckers terrified me. The laugh they made when I got spotted gave me nightmares.

The triceratops in Crash Bandicoot 3 that chased after you. Of course they pussified him in the remake.

Clanker didn't bother me at all, but I couldn't 100% Banjo-Kazooie because I was afraid of those spinning icecubes

this section was always a joke compared to the bear in crash 2.

Disney's Magic Mirror starring Mickey Mouse is a borderline horror game.

So you play as mickey mouse and get sucked into a mirror by a freaky looking ghost, and proceed to do shit like almost get eaten by a box, have knives thrown at you, have to deal with a literal screamer video, almost getting crushed to death and stabbed with hedge clippers, having your shadow engulf a room and try and devour you, all in this big empty house with weirdly atmospheric echoy music like you really were alone in a big empty room.

All the violence and scares are played weirdly straight for a game based on a cartoon.

anyone else shit scared as a kid to enter the GTA : SA forest?

The carnivorous plants and frogs in Misty Bog from the first Spyro game. The plants for being rather innocuous until they get close enough to charge, and the frogs for having a rather large range on their tongue and one hollow tree having a lot of them in a tiny area. Bonus points to the plants for a unique death animation if they kill you (if you don't have Sparx, they won't deign to spit Spyro back out after chomping on him).

Wasn't a fan of swamp levels when I was young anyhow.

More like rockcuck 64.

Never completed Tomb Raider 2 because of this level

the game was just all kinds of fucked up

The original two tomb raiders had this fairly horrific aspect to them in that they didn't care about you. You died? No fanfare, no game over tune, just her crumpling and the menu opening up like you're forgotten in the world.

But you don't fight Clanker. Now the giant angler fish in Davy Jones' Locker, that was a scary giant thing you can fight.

That's something I only learned today, I just shut the console off the moment I saw that thing.

Rudy the clown

the entire game is a dreamy, confusing mess

and then at the end you meet the only enemy in the game that can kill you

look at those eyes

That's pretty intense for a game literally made for single-digit age groups.

The whale-level in Zelda Ocarina of time scared me when i was 4.

However, the trauma was in that i was feeling like such a faggot for getting scared by it.

cartoonnetwork.com/games/courage/nightmarevacation/index.html

I was 5 years old
Super Metroid
was playing it with my simba plushie
was having loads of fun
reached the first boss/miniboss, the chozo statue which comes to life
I freaked out and immediatly turned off my SNES
and then hugged my plushie

For me it was that fuckers dungeon when you were in pitch black darkness with enemies in it.

Fuck, you just reminded me of the creepy butler that would follow you around everywhere in 2&3. Had to lock him in the freezer to avoid nightmares.

I don't know about scared but those tight jumps with the dragonflies before you got the bow made my butthole clench.

I think my last run I beat it with like over half of the days left. I wasn't trying any grand plan, I was just trying to do as good as I could day by day. Even getting a part or two every day is plenty enough.

I'm playing through TR1 for the first time and it's making me feel like a little bitch with all the savestating I'm doing. I'm really, really bad at gauging the distance Lara can jump and redoing 20 minutes of puzzles/climbing after each fall is hell.

WHY

HNNNNNNG

That one blue monkey robot from Rayman 2 that would stand perfectly still until you were close enough then charge you and pound you into the ground

To this day it baffles me that they got away with such a low age rating.

Also, those mud kremlins you only find in one level of Donkey Kong Country.

Suckers moved too damn fast.

remember this?

are you working fast to collect all those treasures, user?
hope you're not taking too long

Shit like this is why I can never enjoy playing games with broad, overarching time limits that last the entire game.

I always have to do things as quickly as possible in games like that because otherwise my brain is paranoid that I'm going to time out in the middle of the endgame and have to restart a new file, and that keeps me from actually enjoying the game I'm playing.

Any time they talked about catching and shoving bamboo chutes under your toenails, it made me cringe. Hell, it still does.

Pikmin was basically an eggs-to-basket-ratio simulator. There was something else in the first one that hatched from an egg and sat under your spawn ripping up the pikmins and eating them until it died. At least it dropped a thing that spawned shitloads of them when it died though.

Same here. Dead Rising 3(?) was terrible for this because not only was there a timer for you to get back to your daughter with medicine each day but you had to be there at the right time of the day too. I just couldn't do handle it. Hell, I had shitloads of zombrex but the stress of being back in time fucked me up big time.