Most influencial things in vidya

ITT Things that influenced you the most during your developing years

This right here shaped my entire political and philosophical thought processes and it'll stick with me for the rest of my life.

Ace Combat and Metal Gear Rising have made me greatly appreciate showmanship and presentation.

Let's get this out of the way so we have 90% of Holla Forums covered: The homosexual agenda as portrayed in JRPGs.

Anything with sex appeal.

it was anime that did that to me not jrpg's, dumbass.

Satan's wisdom

That an Diablo 2.

Vigilante 8 2nd offense opened me up to 70's style funk

Call of duty 2 got me really interested in WW2.

Star Ocean and Phantasy Star Online gave me a love of sci-fantasy.

F-Zero X gave me an appreciation for properly fast racing games.

Sanic

I've been playing Age of Empires 2 since I was four and it has had a profound impact on me in regards for a love of all things military and war.

All my my tastes in music did come from GTA radios like K-dts, K-rose, Flash-fm, Emotion 98.3. But since playing Arcanum, I have developed a liking for classical music and that's what I prefer to listen to now

My personality is a mess, I don't know if I really have one. I kinda feel like a empty shell that gets filled and emptied with the personality of others when the situation calls for it. Since I didn't really have a father that was around for most of my life, I would look upon male protagonists such as Snake, Max Payne, Agent 47. Anything would do, I was just looking for some form of masculinity I could replicate. Thus, I have became a fragmentation of many men and nothing I can really call myself.

How do you think anyone who ever lived got their personality? Don't feel bad

Put on your Sephiroth costume and suck my dick already.

System Shock and, later on, Portal made me love AIs unconditionally along with Asimov's short stories, but they aren't video games. One day I hope I'll be able to work as an AI researcher and help make robot waifus real.

You're not an empty shell as far as I can tell. is right, you formed a personality based on the things you grew up around, just like everyone else.

Maybe you played AoE instead of watching TV, maybe you played GTA instead of listening to the "real" radio, maybe you looked up to video game characters instead of people in your life. It's still the same concepts that form everyone, you just had different influences than other people may have.

Your personality is just as whole as anyone else, and perhaps your uncertainty is merely that you are more aware of what you were influenced by.

You are you, understand this fact, and embrace it with confidence.

Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, some other Sierra games helped me learn English 3-4 years earlier than when we started studying it in school, so that's probably what the most influential thing for me concerning vidya. I fell in love with both games and English early on and while both are mundane during these times and while growing older, I'm damn happy I found gaming.

Same, English isn't my first language but I started learning English words at age 4 thanks to the N64. I'd sometimes write down text from the game on paper and have my parents translate it word for word. I can safely say gaming is the reason youth here can speak English fluently.

MGS 2 definitely shapped my global view of the world when I was a kid.

Jesus fucking Christ that dialogue was forced and awful, how did this shit get like a million awards?

I'm pretty sure Pokemon made me a zoophile.

Mein niggers. I used to hold a dictionary while playing Metroid Prime, God bless the scan visor.

Technocracy is the answer

i started liking anime tiddy a lot more after playing a few anime tiddy games

I am not unduly influenced by media because I am not a child. The sole, extremely minor thing I picked up from a game is the word 'mosey,' which has become a part of my vocabulary after that goofy nigga Cloud said it in FF7.

Apparently you are a child because you can't fucking read

Please no bully. I hid the OP post at least 25 years ago.

What's being retarded like?

Fucking always loved Civ games and SMAC for the quotes, gave me good references of shit worth reading.

MGS made me interested in politics and weaponry.
Morrowind made me interested in philosophy, history, politics even more and religion
Runescape made me interested in herbalism

Also Runescape helped me a lot with English

FFT was the first game that made my adolescent mind explode at the thought that maybe heroes don't actually win and terrible people can more easily climb to the top by being absolutely despicable and compromising any and all morals

A general interest in history.

Dynasty Warriors - Ancient China
Medal of Honor, Band of Brothers, first CoD - WW2
Total War - Rome, Medieval period

Not that I could tell you all about them, but shits cool to read.

Now that I read Beoulve again and slur it a bit, it almost sounds like Beowulf

Sounds hot

This shit right here, starting at 27:20. I've never seen another game deal with grief with as much grace.

i'm just a simple man who wants to be the hero sometimes

I'm not too sure if they did, really, given that I wasn't allowed much in the way of games at that point anyhow. I spent more of those years building shit with Lego or reading books. Still a lot of classic games I have to sit down and play for the first time (a good thing in a way, given the state of the current industry and ease of piracy/emulation/loaders).

I learned about WW2's existence from this game. It pretty much lead me into my interest in planes, war, history, and guns.

Not politics but videogames and politics replaced my father in helping me develop my Morals and the way a man is supposed to act.

*Videogames and comic books

all the concepts from the alpha centauri tech tree
all the quotes from important works and literary classics
all those secret project audio clips are grafted into my brain
that game was like a treasure trove of pure KNAWLIDGE for teenage me

And your lifelong love of Hitler?

not a bad way to learn that lesson
we all have to learn sometime

Yes that too.

And sometimes you have to punch a Tiger in the face.

because the gameplay is good