Final Fantasy Tactics

Which version is better? I've heard differing opinions about the translations. I know that there's a fan patch for the slowdown in War of the Lions.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/k52ckc6p7blzjh1>>12888959
mediafire.com/download/k52ckc6p7blzjh1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is better, less casual.

I plan to play Tactics Ogre at some point as well.

If you've already played the original, than nothing bad about the remake. I don't remember your units saying cool shit before casting spells in the psp version though, might have been something wrong with the version I downloaded though. Cutscenes are nice even though there aren't nearly enough, especially for some really key scenes

The PSX version has a translation that's charmingly shoddy in places and has gone on to become classic. The PSP version is just gay.

Tactics Ogre will never be anything but FFT with less thought put into it.

Try playing a game in the genre that isn't riddled with bugs and broken shit.

What a pretentious and wrong post

The Shakespearean translation in War of the Lions was not the intent of the game. It also fucks with the narrative when characters like Miluda/Milleuda speak in flowery language, despite her character being motivated by being starving peasant trash in a war torn world with nobles who care nothing of her kind. The fact that War of the Lions has her speaking like the affluent nobles she despises really bothers me.

Also, some faggot from the localization team said they retranslated the game the way they did because they were reading the Game of Thrones books at the time.

I know, you should make posts like that less.

This. The new translation is fucking gay.

Each translation is awful, and you're going to miss some story details playing either version exclusively. I don't know about a patch, but if you have a PS1, you might as well play the version that already runs properly.

The new translation is so pretentious and gay it's like a thesaurus with AIDs. Don't call me pretentious for disliking it unless you want to be a gay nigger, fam.

I wasn't talking about that translation, I was talking about Tactics Ogre from which FFT is basically a more accesible version like what Persona 1 and 2 are to SMT

you can take that 'holier than thou' mentality back to Reddit, you dubs-wasting faggot. Tactics Ogre released before FFT, so 5de9c4 makes a valid point that it was originally less refined (although the remake is arguably the best version)

:)

lel

Tactics Ogre is easier to get the hang of and much less complex. FFT is literally Tactics Ogre with more shit to deal with.

I'm talking about the TO from the pic I posted, which you haven't played. FFT is casual as fuck

That's so fucking bad. Like genuinely terrible writing.

Get the Playstation version if you want a story, PSP is only good for some extra content and gameplay refinements while having shit localization

If by less casual you mean an absolute nightmare of a grind to deal with, then yeah.

Seriously though, fuck the recipe bullshit.
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to make the damn things a random drop from a very specific generic soldier that might not spawn at all in a dungeon map, and has a random chance of dropping the damn thing at all.
Between this bullshit, class leveling and crafting in general, its like they set out to make everything a pain in the ass to do in the PSP version.

Get good

War of the Lions is so hard it's not even fun to play
Tactics Ogre is indeed better

Sure, just lemme put everyone on auto battle and run them through the damn forest a couple of thousand times. :^)

Tactics Ogre has tons of mandatory grinding unless you're already an expert. You don't get a resurrection spell until later in the game, either. Feel free to call me casual scum but I find permadeath annoying.

In the PSP version you had 3 hearts which mean you have to die 4 times in different maps before you lose the character.

I didn't know that. I'll give the PSP version a go.

Honestly? I had a more difficult time with FFTA. It's too easy to abuse the skills the jobs have, especially with Samurai and Dark Knight around. Samurais have the endless supply of buffs and Sanguine Blade makes it so you never die while dealing lethal damage. Then you get Cid near the end and that's it, the game's over. You've won. Every enemy afterwards is laughable. The only time I ever had any trouble was with the Assassins due to Last Breath, but that's it. Even Ultima was pathetic and I missed the chance to learn it, fuck you Square. Only obstacle for me was the permadeath.
Was cool how you could convince creatures like Hydras over to your side though. Don't know why they never did that afterwards and Morphers don't count. Thank god for AR.

Don't forget that you also have about 3 turns to either resurrect or use an item to bring the unit back before they actually lose the heart, assuming it died from damage and not falling into a bottomless pit.

So the PSP version is actually watered down? Heh, that's funny. Then again Tactics Ogre did kind of need a solution to perma-death besides "hit reset and try again".

You are trying to compare apples and oranges. In Ogre games classes are very rigid. And equipment with status buffs is very rare, in fact equipment tends to play only a very minor role in the game.
Monsters are near useless except for strict scenarios where their particular advantage is superior.
Magic is mostly elemental damage based and spells or status that effect things such as movement, speed, or other stats are not really present. Only Poison spell from witches comes to mind.

As other user says. Ogre games are mostly a more rigid and less crazy FFT.

In FFT all gameplay factors are cranked to 11, classes are way more flexible, while you may argue this makes the game easier, you must take into account that this allows the enemy to have their weaknesses covered, their strenghts amplified or a mix of both. Equipment may also affect the way you have to approach enemies greatly.

FFT monsters have more diverse attacks and some mods really make monsters shine.

AI in FFT is really smart. You will see enemies use all available tools with effectiveness.

I feel that the creators really hold back the challenge that the game can give.

I suggest anyone interested in having a good FFT challenge to play this mod. You will find a harder difficulty and balance changes without it being on the masochist scale or deviating from vanilla too much.

mediafire.com/download/k52ckc6p7blzjh1>>12888959

God damn i fucked up the link fucking phon3 keyboards

mediafire.com/download/k52ckc6p7blzjh1

I think you need to apply this to an ISO using ppf o matic

I haven't played either but you are making Ogre sound like chess and FFT like checkers.

I've only played FFT and FFTA.
But why is it called Tactics Ogre? Are there ogres in the game?

Sure is reddit in here.

Ogres are the series equivalent of demons, and are largely tangential to the plots.
Most of the games focus is on wars and medieval political shenanigans.
Also apparently most of the titles in the series are named after Queen songs.

Does FF12 take place to the right of this map?

Is the game hard, or not? I don't want to get stuck into a grindy rpg just to get around this.

It's not as bad as they're making it sound. Unless you want 100%, which is a major pain in the ass, but for the most part just clearing the story is pretty easy. Just make sure you do law route first because that's where all the good characters are.

Yep

Current speculation says yeah. No confirmed map of the entire world, though. Just various attempts like this one to combine it all.

I've honestly never played the original, but I did play FFTA and A2, the latter wasn't as good storywise, or as fun gameplay wise. The Tactics Ogre PSP game I never finished, but I loved the hell out of Ogre Battle 64, it was a very obtuse game, but great nonetheless.

I did Chaos first. Blind playthrough. TO PSP is very forgiving thanks to turn rewinding. The only characters I wasn't able to recruit were Deneb the genki witch merchant and Cress the ironing board necromancer. I want to try Knight of Lodis.

Yeah, Deneb is part of the 100% bullshit. I did Chaos first but stopped when I was trying to grind up enough points with some faction or another to get one of the necromancers to join me. I could theoretically do it later but it's been so many years it would be easier to just start over from scratch.

Also I love the turn rewinding mechanic.

This, if that doesn't bother you, WotL is essentially the same game with a bunch of added shit.

Does Vagrant Story take place anywhere on that map?

Vagrant Story was retconned into Ivalice. They kind of tied it in since originally VS took place in a country called Valendia, which FFXII added as a continent later on, but the Ultimania guide for VS doesn't mention Ivalice at all, so unless a future game ties the events of it in with the other ones more heavily, it's pretty easy to ignore.

More directly answering your question, yes, the creator of that map (which again, isn't official, just a fan-made combination) added Lea Monde, the Greylands, and Valnain in the northwest corner of Valendia.

Both games are actually generally pretty easy.

According to the >wikia:

Isn't Lea Monde a thing in FFTA

Isn't the Ivalice of FFTA just a dream world and not the "real" Ivalice?

Not that I have seen, though admittedly I never played very far in that game.

Yeah. Generally just better to ignore FFTA and sometimes FFTA2 and Revenant Wings. Despite there being quite a few games set in Ivalice, most fans only seem to count FFT and FF12 and sometimes Vagrant Story as the canon ones.

But muh Montblanc

FFT>TO

The only complaint I have about TO is the character inconsistently like Ravness, if you decide to let the massacrer happen she calls you a monster and tries to kill you, if you try and stop it she calls you a traitor and tries to kill you or Vyce who's a whiteknight in the Order route but an edgelord in the chaos route.

She always opposes the massacre, Vyce just shoots her in the gut when you don't agree to do it, since she must die either way as she wasn't in the original game and has no actual place in the plot.
Vyce is still a butthurt contrarian faggot.
Personally I just attributed his flip-flopping nature to him being completely fucking insane, except perhaps in the latter parts of the law route.

Not sure if you're aware, but if you don't kill Ravness in the Law route she'll run off and you can recruit her later

Yeah, I fucked up there.
Should have gotten the hint that it was possible, since you get Ozma in more or less the same way.

I'm not saying it SHOULD be ignored, I'm saying it usually is.

I wish I had done law first so I could recruit her early. Apparently she's pretty fucking strong at least during the main game. Not Canopus levels of overpowered, but still powerful.

The PSP version has generally more stuff. The patch makes it easily the best when comparing the two.

Dayum. That AT Field. I wanna thank the drawfag who made this request from a drawthread back then. They did really good.

This is about right. The pseudo-Shakespeare dialogue in WotL actually makes the story about the same level of incoherent as the original Engrish transration, although with less typos.

Other important pros and cons: vanilla FFT doesn't have the slowdown bug, nor intrusive anime cutscenes. But WotL greatly increases the number of character slots your party has. Later on in the game, you'll understand why this is a big deal.

If you are good you can beat FFT without grinding a single extra fight. But since this is the first time you might play FFT you will most likely get destroyed by boss encounters.

Bumpsy

There's a patch that fixes the slowdown.

What does Holla Forums think about the gameboy version? I only played the first 2 fights but havent tried any more.

That's a sequel, not the same game.

not only that, there's a different patch that fixes the slowdown AND unfucks the stretched screen aspect ratio.

Having only played the original, I can't think of a single reason you'd need more party slots than what the original provided unless you were really deadset on having one of every monster.

When I'm out of the house and I have my Vita? War of the Lions. Any other time? OG.

Am I the only one that hates the translation AND the new cut scenes? Fucking dubs man.

But in the original FFT you can't even host all the special characters, you will run out of slots, and yes Orlandu superseding Meliadoul and Agrias is a thing but you can't just deny its unfair not even being able to own them all, plus a few generic humans and some monsters.
In the end you have to start hacking the game to get around these limits.

I hate the new translation and the cutscenes too because the animation is wonky, the art-style is ass and the voice acting sucks, it clearly shows how short was the budget to make them, plus with most events taking place in game or in battle the cutscenes are kind of out of place, the original flows just better with the ingame cutscenes

Spin-off.

Never mind enough space for all the monsters, you don't have enough space for all the CHARACTERS unless you're willing to dismiss half your original party once the game starts flooding you with story characters.

(Yes, Orlandu is a lot more powerful than Alicia or Rad, but it's a lot more frustrating having to let someone go when you've spent hours getting them all those jobs/skills.)

You're not alone. The game's cutscenes worked perfectly when they were little sprites. No idea why someone thought it was a good idea to add detailed anime cutscenes - with those same chibi noseles designs - and have them speaking pseudo-Shakespearean English with American accents.

You're only 1 slot short if you keep 5 generics, but, yeah, I guess that's true. Since I never used any of the special characters I guess I never realized you don't have room for all of them.

Far more streamlined experience but both are fun. Far less time in menus in TO and animations don't take ages. Had a really easy time with FFTWOTL because obsession with job system had characters skilled such that game was too easy.