FLYFF

If there's anyone here who played FLYFF and wants to play it again or any people who just wanna play a really good anime-themed mmorpg, let's have a thread about it.

Recently I got back into this game again since I actually grew with FLYFF and not WOW. It's how mmorpgs should be, grindy and forcing you to be in a party if you wanna do something, with every class having it's weaknesses and strengths. You can fly in it, have different types of pets, pickup pets and stat boost pets, you can go giant hunting for very rare items that sell for tons of cash, you can PK people, you know, the basic but well-polished stuff. Now I tried the official version and I'm not sure if I like it very much because I miss the old versions. And almost all the private servers are either low populated or have ridiculous rates that ruin the entire balance.

I found this server, www.flyff-iblis.com, it seems like it's the old version without many ridiculous changes and filled with many players. There's even players leveling up at lawolfs and hanging around bangs, if you remember that aspect of the game. And yes, I am shilling for this server but that's because I want more people to play there. The server's full of pinoys, and while they can speak english, some more native english speaking guys would be cool to have there. I did not actually play on it yet, I just downloaded their client.

Anyway, if any of you are nostalgic about this game and want to play, either on the official servers or private ones, maybe leave some in game name that I can write down and we can hang around in game? Also, if you have any recommendations of servers that are not unbalanced, I'm all ears.

Some gameplay of the game: youtube.com/watch?v=bd-YhlD1Clw
Some gameplay of this private server that I found: youtube.com/watch?v=pg9mmjt0txY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v9MaFnnjLj8
fragment.dothackers.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, it's got a really, really amazing soundtrack.

Oh god. I remember playing flyff like 8-10 years ago.

Same here. I tried it again maybe three years ago but it seemed like the enemies had gotten much stronger, your combo resource depleted quickly, your attacks were weaker and healing items were far harder to come by. The grind wasn't fun anymore. Flying around was still fun though.

Ever get the feeling that no mmorpg can ever give you that same great experience again? It was so god damn full of people, the towns were filled with shops, people were chilling around either helping others or annoying the fuck out of them. The music really depresses me.

While we're at it, why not talk about your other favorite mmorpgs and experiences? I mean, maybe not a lot of people here played FLYFF.

the wild west days of mmos were the best. Nothing can compare.

Yeah, man. It was wild west alright. You could do some really funny shit. Like sell completely useless items that you get from a high lvl area, that look good to newbies, for a ton of cash. I remember selling slippers for 50,000 penya and people thought they were some cash shop item. In reality, they were worth nothing.

Sometimes you'd go and kill steal from others, hit them once just to interrupt what they're doing, kill them before they kill a boss. If your tried that today, you'd get reported and banned. And say good bye to the days where you dropped items on the ground. This is why I'm kind of inclined to play on a private server, to experience the old gameplay, but the admins today are pretty sensitive.

There was also this other MMO called age of pirates. It was the shit. Dunno if many people here played it or not, or if its even online anymore. I must have dumped a couple thousans hours into it.

I never heard about that. I googled it and saw this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=v9MaFnnjLj8

Which doesn't look like an mmorpg, but looks great and has that old school feeling to it. Hmm, I don't remember an age of pirates mmorpg.

Can you play as a loli school girl getting up to no good in the neighborhood?

Wew, that was an embarrassingly terrible MMO I played as a clueless youngster. Only the music and comfy flying+exploring was redeemable, the rest was pure grind, fetch quests and cash shop faggotry.

No, fuck, my bad. Its tales of pirates. Its so old i couldnt remember the name.

You can get some lewd outfits, but I'm not really sure if I'd classify this as a loli. Funny thing though, I chose a girl character once in this game and made one million penya in half an hour just by begging random people. It took me a week or more to gain that amount as a male character.

Well, that's what mmorpgs are supposed to be man, grindy. The important part is what helps you get through the grind. Do you have great rewards for grinding a lot, do you have amazing memories of grinding with people, can you show off your hard earned levels? In modern mmorpgs you don't need to grind, and look how they are. They are massively singleplayer online games.

I remember playing Flyff and beating off to the catgirls before the cave dungeon, I played the yoyo class if I remember. Good times, though I didn't get very far into the game.

Flyff's world was completely devoid of life and you had nothing to do but combat. Compared to Runescape, with a huge world full of interactive objects, handmade quests, lots of skills to practice, a complex crafting system, no cash shops (back then, of course), Flyff was absolutely lackluster.

I briefly played Salem, got captured by an Injun and died.

Well, it doesn't matter now. Because I actually am really interested in getting Age of pirates now, I really like how it looks from the gameplay video I posted above. I also took a quick look at tales of pirates and damn, it looks nice. I can see why you have some good memories with it. It's music (which seems really nice) and interface are similar to flyff too.

I remember Yoyos fucking with me in the arena by repelling me away. That was their ability, I think. When they attacked, they would have a chance to repel enemies away, which was really useful if you wanted to stay away from someone in the arena. Good class, I had a lvl 30 yoyo.

I accept that the world was not filled with details, but let's be honest here, you can fly in that world and it's a very big map. In runescape, you can't fly or large areas you can explore. Look at video related for example, I still think it's world is very nicely crafted. If it's not detailed, at least it has a nice art style.

My bad, I think the class was Acrobat, lol, but they had yoyos as weapons.

Never heard of it, looks a bit weird.

It is. The Injun who captured me made this fan-advertisement for the game. I have a sneaking suspicion it was a goon game.

Looks like a shemale

Can you give other players spankings in this game?

No. You have animations to show your butt and do pushups, preferably on a person that's sitting on the ground. It's not as lewd as TERA.

This. Game was fucking awful. Good luck if you hit a wall and don't follow a meta-guide, lower leveled enemies wouldn't drop shit for you to get game money because of that awful drop system.

It's p2w but it's not impossible. I leveled one character to lvl 90, another to lvl 60 something, and a bunch of < 60. I made like 200 million penya, or more, and also bought a pickup pet (which was like 80 million) all while I didn't pay a single dime to the cash shop. You just gotta know what you're doing as a f2p player. Still, one of my original reasons for quitting the game was exactly that at one point it became just too much p2w, and it was demotivating to see someone achieve what you did in a few months, but in like a day or two, because they paid real money. That's why I stopped playing back then and why I want to try a private server today.

Space Cowboy Online is shit and Dave Wee/Snowplough is a Singapore gook.

Wrong thread?

Also, I just wanna vent my frustration about autopathfinding in mmorpgs today. Whoever invented autopathing in a mmorpg needs to be shot.

Old MMO's had this openness to them that I really adore. I wanna do crazy shit and get comfy, y'know? I've been playing lots of FFXIV and I've been having a great time with it and all, but there are several itches it just can't scratch since it feels so streamlined and theme-park-y. The game is fun and the combat and content is good and all but outside of that, things kinda just feel like a chore sometimes.

Kinda just wanna shoot the shit in a town and get up to hijinks, but FFXIV is built around not having hijinks aside from the early pulling and batshit strategies and general social memery that's a part of any MMO or even any chatroom. Still a nice game, though.

You described it perfectly in one word, streamlined. It's all too streamlined now. The game holds your hands so much that everyone does the same thing. Classes don't have weaknesses and strengths anymore, it's just the same shit with a different name and skin. You don't need to have a party to profit from other classes or to level up faster, you can just solo the game if you want. There aren't a lot of ways to interact with players like interrupting them directing or just killing them. It's all too regulated, too streamlined. You can't even party with someone of a much higher or lower level than you and benefit from it. You log in and do your daily quests and then repeat.

In the old mmorpgs you could just fuck around for fun if you didn't wanna do that, help other people, ruin their day. I don't know, it just felt different.

Man, back in the day i had this friend i partied up with in tales of pirates and we did quests all day. I played a semi tanky dual wield warrior build and he played a gunner. It was super comfy.

I think that was where most of the fun came from. You were forced to find people to lvl up with. I looked at some FF 14 gameplay videos and the game looks absolutely great and really polished, but damn, why is it a mmorpg? You can totally play that alone by the looks of it. No one goes and PKs someone just standing in a group and chatting about random shit. There are groups of people AOEing monsters in the fields complaining about other noobs stealing all their drops. It's just not supposed to be online. It's an online singleplayer game.

Also, from what I see, they killed tales of pirates. Really sucks that you can't play it anymore, since you liked it. I hope that at least there are private servers for it.

You get my point, the content is focused on a single player experience in today's mmorpgs. Which is why I like flyff, because the quests are basic and the grind is real.

I think its best to leave it as a memory. I dont think im socially capable of playing mmos anyway. Mmos are a thing of the past, and its sad.

True. I also can't stand most people, be it online or real life. Gladly, the social interaction that I had in mmorpgs in the past was related mostly to the game and not real life. I'd love to make an old-school mmorpg that's not p2w, but I don't have the budget or time, and maybe there's no audience for it. I'll just refresh my memory by playing it not too often and accept it for what it is, a nostalgia trip.

We need more mmos with no restrictions on anything, sorta like a less autistic SS13 but an mmo. What ive always wanted to do is become a shopkeeper in a town and buy and sell items. Im actually considering getting wurm and doing somthing like that. Is FF14 any good when it comes to the trade classes? is FF14 the one that has the trade classes or am i thinking of 11?

Friendly user here for my shilling of Lineage 2 Classic anytime I see an old MMO thread. If you enjoyed the game back in the day then come keep me company so I'm not soloing all the time. There's even a free 3 day trial this weekend and a weeklong 50% exp buff.

Its time

This is actually the correct thing that needs to be done to fix mmorpgs today. Remove a ton of restrictions and let people do more things that would affect the server. Let players kill NPCs, let them kill/item steal, let them PK whoever they want outside towns, let there be massive monsters that pop up once in a while where tens of players need to gang up to kill them, let them put traps throughout the world, make some classes very weak in one area but strong in another, make leveling be slow and actually matter. The server needs to be affected by what players do so not everyone just goes through a themepark. But the developers will never do that, indie or not. And yes, it doesn't have to be ridiculously autistic or free like SS13.

I remember lineage by it's name but never played it. It's interesting to see that it's still pay to play actually. I'm gonna watch some videos of it. Just out of curiosity, how many people still play the game compared to the old days?

lol, what the fuck is this?

This is exactly it. The main reason why mmos are so shit is because there isnt any effect of what you do. Everything stays the same regardless if you kill the big bad or not. Nothing ever happens. If anything, mmos need to have no overarching story, just basic quests that npcs have. Let the players give out fetch quests to newbies. Let the players open the shops and inns. Fuck, puzzle pirates was so good because of that. Puzzle pirates had a completely player based economy. It was fucking awesome.

It's a hardcore, PvP-focused korean grinder. It launched a couple years ago and had 5k+ on the only server, Russian NEETs account shared and dominated the server for like a year and a half, population fell off a cliff and is now recovering and almost exclusively westerners. There's around 1500 online at a time, more during weekend castle sieges.

The classic rerelease launched, I should clarify.

This is exactly it. The main reason why mmos are so shit is because there isnt any effect of what you do. Everything stays the same regardless if you kill the big bad or not. Nothing ever happens. If anything, mmos need to have no overarching story, just basic quests that npcs have. Let the players give out fetch quests to newbies. Let the players open the shops and inns. Fuck, puzzle pirates was so good because of that. Puzzle pirates had a completely player based economy. It was fucking awesome. also, is Holla Forums having problems. Im getting alot of server timed out errors

I'm getting stuck at 100% here too. Anyway, I do remember that when I was bored in FLYFF, I made an event myself. I basically flew around the map and hid myself in the most weird spots and shouted through the whole channel about my zone's location. Whoever would find me gets 20 million penya. I did this like quite a few times, and it's just an example of how I affected the server and made at least 50 low-medium lvl people follow what I said. You can probably do this in modern mmorpgs too, but you won't, because people are focused on playing through the themepark. And the fact that there were private shops it also made the game awesome. You don't just go to an auctionhouse and look through a list, you see towns filled with people and their own little shops.

Imagine an mmorpg where instead of opening private shops, you open private quest shops. You set out some conditions, time limits, or even bounties for killing a player, and people flock to you to get money or experience. That would be totally doable and awesome.

You know, for an old-ish mmorpg that's p2p, 1500 people at a time is actually pretty damn good.

Private servers for it are absolutely massive. The 2 Russian servers for it both have 4k+ at any given time, and the top private servers have had upwards of 7-10k peaks pending on server popularity. Private servers tend to be more popular for it obviously due to increased rates and being free.

I remember it being one of the worst grinds in history, and I used to play RO.

I used to play Flyff with my friends in highschool. I was a mage (pure INT faggots), one friend was a healer (he was gay I'm pretty sure) and the others were mercenaries or whatever the melee class is called. We had a schedule, played every night at like 6PM and whipped ass.

Dunno why we stopped playing, FLYFF is the best MMO I've ever played, even though it still has the garbage MMO elements.

The grind was real, that's for sure. I just started hating that you can easily get past it with lots of real money.

Ah, someone else with the feeling of it being the best mmorpg played. I get you. It's so basic and grindy, yet, maybe all that freedom was why it was good. I remember mages having good AOE skills too and being great in arena, sometimes they one-shotted me.

They basically all devolved into Monster Hunter with bad combat.

Yeah FLYFF had excellent music. Cozy as fuck flying around on your broom or board listening to that shit.

It won't be for a couple days, but I'll join and be a healslut for all your sweet masculine cocks

oh boy what a nostalgia trip

I remember when Runescape banned player killing and trading. I think that really marked the decline of MMOs, making everything super safe for faggots who just wanna grind.

The first time you fly is so damn awesome, man. I remember the excitement of getting to lvl 20 and saving money for the 240k board.

I know healers are gay! I knew it.

G-guilty

Nah. I'm done with gook MMOs after ToS fucked up RO's legacy forever.

Looking at FF and PSO, only the Japs can do MMOs right.

What about that ps2 mmo .hack?
I remember some guy who managed to host private servers for the game a while back.

Wasn't .hack singleplayer?

There was a japanese only title called .hack // fragment which played the same way as the ps2 version did except it was online and you could play with others and try out the other classes

Damn, I didn't know this. I'll have to google it. Thanks for letting me know though.

I think the guy's servers are closed but you can look it up on jewtube for his videos. No idea about his website.

Found something here, not sure if it works: fragment.dothackers.org/

But I'm surprised this is a thing in the first place. I only knew about the SP .hack games and thought damn, "How the hell does someone make a private server for a ps2 game?" Pretty amazing, must've been an awesome programmer.

It's shut down now because apparently people were exploiting the game or at least that's what the server owners said. I played it a little bit a few years ago and It was extremely complicated to set up but worked pretty well. The biggest problem with it though is that if you had a roommate who wanted to play with you, it's wasn't happening because it will kick the one currently online because you have the same IP. Coldbird is the website name if you are still curious even if its shut down.

Im guessing he managed to get a hold of the server-side data and managed to use it to make said servers

That sucks then, would've loved to try it out.

Stop it, boner.

P-please don't stop DPS racing my boipussy, onii-chan, my warm mouth can only service one cock at a time, and my hands can only wring out rope after rope of delicious, sticky semen onto my soft supple skin so quickly

FAGS

I'll slit your fucking throat when I'm done with you, faggot.

Y-yes, daddy

Go play your fag ERP somewhere else
thanx

I'll admit the 3d animation was fun at least but this is true for a lot of gook MMOs. It's a shame they never got invested into 3D animation fully to compete with Japan's 2D.