Quake Thread

I've been playing through Quake II, and overall I've not having as much fun compared to the first game or other shooters that came out during the same time. I think that Quake III still holds up (along with Quake Live) but I was wondering how you anons feel about the series, specifically in the singleplayer department. It can also just be a thread for the series overall. I'd rather keep it to these games and enemy territory, rather than that one

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC5552846AAD2F8CB
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL20723923F60F926A
fabiensanglard.net/quake3/a.i.php
doomwiki.org/wiki/J.M.P_van_Waveren_(MrElusive)
store.steampowered.com/app/2310/QUAKE/
gog.com/game/quake_the_offering
sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/
quakeone.com/markv/
mega.nz/#!zIsnDZ6T!rwjReR8ttCg4-BgCqY1oFM0w_z9HBYSY4EXQwS71rFE
mega.nz/#!3NMkDCzR!rb_8bKS072CiyjZhcWXNMH15qhMnIDuGLssb3kyE6Zg
quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_50final.html)
celephais.net/board/):
quaddicted.com/):
quakeone.com/):
archive.is/SalPv
mega.nz/#!p5kCHZhJ!y36PE7YwC_NCiUQiJm5atem7qTyP-WQLiUh0dZ3mKdg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Quake 1 was badass and was a total game changer for the time. Soundtrack by nin? Oh fuck yes.
Quake 2 was meh. They just didn't know what made the first game succeed as well as it did.
Quake 3 is peak Quake. My favorite of the series, by far.
Quake 4 was lame, and iD had already lost me after Doom 3.
Online Quake never grabbed me.
Embed only tangentially related.

Here's an interesting thing about Quake 3: the Dreamcast version has a different soundtrack, more industrial metal and less dark ambient.

Compare:
PC - youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC5552846AAD2F8CB
DC - youtube.com/playlist?list=PL20723923F60F926A

I heard Quake 2 wasn't even supposed to be called Quake, they had a trademark problem with the title they had in mind.

Quake 2's singleplayer wasn't as good as Quake 1's. It was mainly notable for being fully hardware 3D from day 1. Quake 2 did have some fun MP with mods, though. Mods could do more and we finally got grappling hook mods that didn't have terrible latency/prediction issues. Lots of people loved Lithium and there was one I forget the name of with lots of weapons I played a lot. The railgun was a big change for Quake as we weren't able to kill at range before, imo it was a bad change for the series as it pushed the engagement distance back but it was fun.

Quake 4 was made by Raven, not id

Quake 3 wasn't peak quake, it was the death of Quake. They designed for duels rather than deathmatches and streamlined everything for e-sports. As a result, the Quake 3 community ended up being the autists that had just been playing nothing but rocket arena all day, and the deathmatchers went off into the void to be picked up by other games. Deathmatch games ended up being HUGE while arena duel games never made it past Quake 3.

The DC music definitely gives it a different feel to the PC one. I can't say I prefer one to the other though.

I had a feeling that 2 was more remarkable due to its technological feats, I haven't found the railgun yet, but at least the super shotgun is pretty fun to use in the hallways and smaller rooms to dispatch most of the enemies.

Are new games really that hand holdy nowadays?

Have to say, I prefer the PC version.

Interesting, any source on that? Link to some old EGM issue?

Well, that explains things.

Maybe, and I can see why you'd say that. But I think we both know that the industry at the time was going towards MP in general and eventually eSports no matter what. 1999 had great single player games, but with the rise of the internet multiplayer was just simply going to happen. Seemingly everyone wanted it, even though it was a goddamn pain over a modem.
Halo sealed the deal, but I can't see the argument there would be no Halo without Quake 3. Shit, GoldenEye is just as much to blame, and pre-dates Quake 3. Somebody somewhere was going to make an arena game masterpiece and carve out that sub-genre, with or without Quake 3.

Yes.

I was there for day 1 of the Quake 1 /beta/, I even played it online via B&W TCP in DOS through a SLiRP (or maybe tia at the time, I forget) 7 bit connection, and I've played all of them extensively. I was even in IRC when the zip from id's FTP was cracked and we got the pics of the dragon. So I'm very aware of what worked and what didn't.
Quake 2's hardware 3D was impressive, but people didn't like the sausage launcher and general sluggishness. The railgun made up for it, and the much improved support for modding despite having some portability issues I've forgotten about that Quake 1 didn't have. Playing a mix of Quake 1 and Quake 2 was normal as there were some extremely popular mods for both. Quake 1 got glquake around that time so we had everything on 3dfx cards.

Holla Forums won't like it, but Quake should have had Call of Duty's and Halo's massive audience. Quake 1 was that fun deathmatch free-for-all that didn't take itself too seriously that those games became known for, and Id threw it away in favor of e-sports dueling before e-sports were a thing. They literally had the winning formula and chucked it, leaving it to be copied to massive success by others. Even today with streamers, Quake 3 dueling isn't very popular, and there were no streamers back then, only saved replays and in some rare cases multicast. It was a huge mistake.

Oh absolutely, if you haven't played any old games first, but instead the latest modern games you will feel like an idiot when playing older games. This is one of the reasons why younger players hate older games, because rudimentary things to older players is beyond their grasp.

Holla Forums does the same thing. Try to argue people should play System Shock 1 with the original controls rather than the FPS controls that were added for accessibility to modern gamers. You'll get tears about how it's just the same despite trivializing all the platforming in the game and that they're not a casual and they don't need accessibility to play even though they wouldn't play it until the remake.

The only source I seemed to find was for a magazine called Retro Gamer that did a Quake retrospecitve wikipedia uses it as the source when describing how 2 was going to be called "Strogg: Lock and Load"

What was that like? It must have been kind of exciting.

It was fucking unreal. The lightmapping was like nothing we'd seen before or thought possible, yet we knew Carmack could work magic and there it was in our hands. People were stunned but didn't call it fake (maybe because faking screenshots wasn't really a thing yet), everyone just started picking it apart trying to figure out how the hell he had done it. Doom->Quake was the biggest single leap in technology I think we ever had, like jumping 10 years into the future today.
The dragon got everyone talking too as there were tons of rumors floating around about what Quake was actually supposed to be, and when we got the beta we reverse engineered the hell out of it until we found it. It was pretty clear they'd abandoned the idea, but no one cared because they were too busy being amazed by everything. We also were all scrambling to figure out how the hell to get it on the internet. Games had largely been IPX or modem until then, and here was a game with client-server internet multiplayer with a server browser - it was another big leap into modern FPS. Getting a TCP connection going under DOS required arcane wizardry at almost greybeard levels, I have no idea how I managed that as a kid.

Now listen here faggot, when i say younger players I meant everywhere, including here.

what did you think of the music when you first heard it?

There were several different groups on that, none of them liked it. One group thought it was horrible noise and wtf happened to NiN and muted it. One group was mad it required running the CD during gameplay and disabled it. And one group pirated it and didn't get the music but didn't care as no one wanted it. It's weird that today people talk about it like it was a great thing - I can't remember anyone saying they liked it and I never heard anyone I played with have it enabled.

That's a bit disappointing to hear. Perhaps people were still used to Dooms metal soundtrack.

No, we were largely NiN fans and had been excited about it. I still hate the music, it's largely atmospheric noise rather than music like we'd been expecting and quickly becomes grating. imo people only like it today because they listen to it once rather than try to play a game with it on a loop.

Guess I'm just a sucker for atmospheric noise since I thought it was brilliant. Although yeah I see what you mean by it becoming grating after a while.

>tfw you were born the exact month, day, and year when Quake was released
>tfw it's in two days

feels good. I'll probably try beating it again.

Quake 1 had the best atmosphere from the whole franchise. It also had (and still does compared to other games) the best mouse aiming and movement it it's time.

Quake 2 was objectively bad. The only good thing about the game were the enemies, except for the grunts. It wasn't a like it's predecessor, the gunplay was weak and worked against itself. The OST just wasn't as good as the first game. And the atmosphere was uninspired and forgettable. Sadly this is the game that all later games will be based upon. I love gritty, industrial cyborgs, but I love my lovecraftia fleshy horror.

Quake 3 was a great arena shooter. Also had shit waifus.

Quake 4 is to Quake 2 what Doom 3 is to Doom. By itself it isn't a bad game, but the name is what ruins it for me.

Unreal is not as good

It still hurts.

Happy birthday you two. i could host a Holla Forums birthday party server

I agree with you 100%

It sucks when that happens, I heard that happened with Doom as well. If they played a bit more they would understand you're killing the demons, if anything it should be a positive thing to play as a Christian.

I've never played Quake 4 but I will take your word for it and agree with you, because I agree with you on everything else.

I liked that levels were interlinked in Quake 2, I hate that this was underutilized and didn't really mean anything other than "we made our maps too big".

I agree that this makes sense, yeah. But that's not how it works at all in Christcucks minds.

i didn't liked q2 as much like you activate quad damage? that's fucking stupid.
q3a had better or less variety of guns but worse movement, now you have to hold w/e to move fast and no single player
q1 is pretty good but each weapon sounds like ass and the music, what of it?

Crash is my waifu btw

If you like Quake 1 singleplayer check out Arcane Dimensions, it's a god tier mod/set of maps.

Actually, I think I might have had him play Doom first. But he did understand you're killing the demons. He thought the symbol itself had some kind of evil power.

Thanks. Quake 4's highlight was the Stroggification part. Sadly the rest of the game is rather dull.

It's the forefather of all the deathcore/dark ambient genres you'll find. My subjective opinion is that it's great. I think Trent did a top job with the OST.

God-tier visuals and adds some much-needed variety to the weapons and enemies, too.

Okay guys, I want you to be solid with me. What am I missing here? I've been playing through Quake for the first time, having heard it was as good as shit like ID's other shit, but I'm having only slight fun, smothered by just a bored feeling.

I mean I get its pretty much got a NIN soundtrack and the weapons are neat I suppose, but what am I not getting here? DOOM is one of my favorites but this one just isn't clicking for me. I'm even using shit like Quakespasm to make it work better. What am I not seeing here? Its just okay so far.

I didn't have a legal copy of Quake back in the day to find out, but Armagon had a pretty kickin' soundtrack.

That's the right thing to do. My small major complaint with 4 is the weapons feel pathetic, especially the railgun.

Which difficulty are you playing on? Also
Do you actually have the soundtrack playing then? Embed related is what you should be hearing. Other than that you don't need quakespasm if you don't mind the part below.

It had mouse acceleration though, which is fucking bullshit. I always end up using the keyboard when I play the dos version. There's modded versions of winquake that remove it and add mp3 music support though.

Being a millennial sure must be suffering.

The original maps are meh for the most part with some exceptions, check Quaddicted.com for a bunch of modern fan maps.

Fun fact, Q3 bots were actually outsourced to a modder.

fabiensanglard.net/quake3/a.i.php
doomwiki.org/wiki/J.M.P_van_Waveren_(MrElusive)

Sandy Petersen is Christian and he was alright with making these games because you're killing demons

Bots that know how to shoot around corners when? I remember abusing the same sort of cheap bullshit with Xan in UT, and Xaero in Q3 by shooting explosives around corners as they followed the same path each time.

It seems like everyone who worked at Id eventually helped with a ton of games at the time.

I used to play Doom multiplayer via modem with a friend from Argentina. His grandparents literally beat him when they saw he was playing a game with demons. It wasn't some little swat either, it was a serious beating.

Yeah, I modded the soundtrack back in. I've been switching between normal and hard difficultly.

Funny jokes, fam :^)

Not sure if the maps are my real issue, but I'll be sure to look into that.

I don't think Quake 1 single player was very fun either. The objectives and gunplay is simple, but it's the first of its kind.

QuakeWorld for life.
Quake 2 is shit. Quake 3 doesn't require aiming. Quake 4 is boring.
Quake Champions is a disgrace to all humanity.

Now to wait for that obnoxious Russian faggot to come out and splooge for 6 posts about how great Quake 2 is like he does in every thread.

You didn't even played quake 2 multiplayer when it was a thing. Fuck, quake 2 popularized whole arena fps genre. The only reason why quake 3 is multiplayer arena based is exactly because of the popularity of quake 2's multiplayer.

Quake 2's MP is good, but I'm mostly talking about how shitty it's singleplayer is.

No argument here. I miss the days when each generational leap felt huge. NES -> SNES also felt massive.
And without Google! You had to get your IP address written down, log off, call a friend and give him the IP, and then log back on before someone took your IP address from the pool. Good times.

I was a huge nin fan at the time and I loved it in Quake. I've always liked ambient music and industrial.
To be fair, I don't sit around listening to the Quake OST much.

I dunno what a modern player would get out of going back to Quake other than a nice history lesson. Appreciate what it was for the time and what it is nowadays, move on.

Yes. Quake 2 has a shit tier SP.
I'm ranking these games as a whole.

holy fuck my eyes feel like they're having sex when i look at that

I dunno. I'm the kind of weirdo who can go back to shit like Wolfenstein 3D and enjoy the shit out of it, but maybe you're right. Maybe the time I could have enjoyed Quake has passed.

The main problem for us was that almost no one had a SLIP connection and PPP was still practically unheard of. We had dialup serial terminal access which usually wasn't even 8 bit clean. Getting a 'real' internet connection going to DOS thus first involved connecting via terminal, setting up an emulator like SLiRP/tia (I forget if I had SLiRP at the time) on the shell account with an encoding that was clean across the shell account's terminal handling, setting up the client side of that, then hooking it all to pirated B&W TCP drivers for DOS. This process was insanely complicated with lots of small details and TSR manipulation - had to use mark/restore for some part of it but I forget why.
I work in networking today, maybe getting Quake online is what led me to the field.

More power to you, mate, I love /VR/ but for me personally, it's usually a nostalgia trip.

Nice. Video games most definitely got me into computers, which led to my career in IT.

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO GET INTO QUAKE

First of all, you have to get the game itself.
You can buy it on…
> Steam: store.steampowered.com/app/2310/QUAKE/
> GOG (includes expansion packs): gog.com/game/quake_the_offering
…but your money won't go to a single person related to this game and instead will go to ZeniMax, so, as an alternative, you can just pirate it…
> BitTorrent (RuTracker, GOG, Windows): magnet:?xt=urn:btih:13E47EDC7B8FA5595B608EA8116AA992D7A950CC&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet&dn=Quake%3A%20The%20Offering%20%5BGOG%5D%20%5BENG%5D

The next step is to get yourself a modern source port. These are the two most-used source ports as of 2017 (most of the mods are tested with these source ports):
> QuakeSpasm: sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/
> Mark V: quakeone.com/markv/
Both are very similar but the later fixes bugs in the engine while adding many new features (mostly for mappers).
If you don't know what you want just get QuakeSpasm.

After you downloaded and installed/unpacked the game and the source port, go to the game directory and copy the folder named "id1" to the source port directory. The only files in that folder that you need are the ".pak" files: e.g. "pak0.pak", "pak1.pak", etc.. Feel free to delete everything else in that folder. Same goes for the expansion packs: the files for "Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon" are inside the folder named "hipnotic", "Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity" — "rogue".

Next, you should get yourself the music because most of the versions of the game come without it due to licensing issues.
QuakeSpasm can play such music formats as WAV, MP3 and OGG (Vorbis). Mark V currently only supports MP3.
You can download the music here (I made these just for you, user):
> MP3 (lame -q0 -V0 -b8 -B320): mega.nz/#!zIsnDZ6T!rwjReR8ttCg4-BgCqY1oFM0w_z9HBYSY4EXQwS71rFE
> WAV: mega.nz/#!3NMkDCzR!rb_8bKS072CiyjZhcWXNMH15qhMnIDuGLssb3kyE6Zg

After that you can pretty much start playing the game. Go to the source port directory and launch the executable file. For example, "quakespasm.exe".
Most of the usual options can be set in the Options menu but there are some useful console commands and variables that casual players might wanna use:
> gl_texturemode "…" — change the texture mode: "GL_NEAREST" — crispy pixelated vanilla like here , "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" — your typical blury textures.
> skill "0|1|2|3" — set the difficulty of the game: 0 - Easy, 1 - Normal, 2 - Hard, 3 - Nightmare (useful for the maps and mods that don't have the difficulty selection)
> scr_sbaralpha "0 - 1" — change the opacity of the HUD (set it to "0.9999999" to get the opaque HUD without the bars on the bottom of the screen)
> fov "1 - 170" — change the FoV (default is 90)
There are many more options but you won't use them unless you know what you're doing, and if you know what you're doing then you don't need my explanation.

And the last thing to say is how to launch mods and maps.
Mods usually come the same way the Quake and it's expansions do: in a folder that you put in the source port directory.
For example, after downloading the Arcane Dimensions (quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_50final.html) you unpack the archive in folder named "ad" inside your source port directory. Some modes may already have such folders inside of the archive.
To start a mod you launch the game, open the console ("~" by default) and type in "game " if you don't remember the name of all the mods and games in your directory, you can press TAB to display them.
For maps, you extract them inside the folder named "maps" inside of the game directory these maps are for.
For example, if you download maps for Quake (i.e. they don't require any of the Mission Packs to be played) you put the ".bsp" files inside the "id1/maps". If the maps require you to have Arcande Dimensions, for example, you put them inside the "ad/maps" folder.
To start the map launch the game, open the console and type in "map ". You can also use TAB the same way it's used for the "game" command.

Currently mosy active communities are the following:
> Func_Msgboard (celephais.net/board/): general discussion forum but mostly used for engine developers and modders
> Quaddicted (quaddicted.com/): big archive of all maps for Quake ever released, also archives many other Quake-related things such as mirrors of old fan sites
> QuakeOne (quakeone.com/): your typical forum for random discussions about Quake and everything related

Thanks for all of that. I don't know if you wrote everything by yourself or not, but just in case, here is an archive for easy copy/paste later.
archive.is/SalPv

I couldn't find any copypasta so I wrote my own. It's far from perfect but maybe someone will improve it later.

:^)

Thanks for the pasta, much appreciated. I seem to have a visual problem, though. Torches appear as bright blue meshes and zombies are invisible unless you gib them. They can be heard and splatters of blood appear when they are shot, but it's like the models themselves are invisible.

thank you for the pasta

QuakeWorld online multiplayer with tons of sweet maps. from free-for-all, capture the flag, team fortress to classic arena.

modern server is KTX with mvdsv. if you can find Qizmo that helps packet loss a lot it's not required. i use ezQuake client, but my servers are private.

(server install is the linux nquake package with manually updated binaries)

It looks like ass.

Since this is the IdTech thread, did that other user share his own spin of the Aliens Doom mod?

For those who want it:
mega.nz/#!p5kCHZhJ!y36PE7YwC_NCiUQiJm5atem7qTyP-WQLiUh0dZ3mKdg
Comes with the QuakeSpasm source port, Quake, both expansion packs (Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity), Arcane Dimensions, and the original music

To play Quake just run quakespasm-spike-admod.exe
To play Arcane Dimensions make a shortcut of quakespasm-spike-admod.exe and add "-heapsize 256000 -zone 4096 -game ad" to the target line in the shortcut's properties
To play the expansion packs do the same as Arcane Dimensions but you only need to add "-game hipnotic" or "-game rogue"

What did he mean by this?

SP:
Quake 1 >>>>>> Quake 2 >>>>>>>>>>> Quake 4

MP:
Q4 can actually compete. Railgun should go and stay go. Rockets and plasma/hyperblaster are great. I need to play more QW. CPM is great. VQ3/QL is 2slow

Movement:
Full CPM Autism > bhop > weird Q2 shit > noairstrafe strafejumping

Quake has always had esports autism. First Quake tourney had a car as a prize. People werent earning living wages from events, but the draw was still there.
On the flip side though, Quake as a comp MP game is great, and culminated in CPM, which is still my favourite MP experience at any playercount (which is good because it has almost no players)

You're retarded, of course