Why do devs care so much about scripted events and non-cutscene storytelling? Nigger, just construct a level...

Why do devs care so much about scripted events and non-cutscene storytelling? Nigger, just construct a level, put bad guys in it, and let the player mow them down. Gunplay and AI in 99% of games made today are worlds better than what we got in Doom anyway, we don't need scripted events to spice up the fun. No wonder why Fallout 4 and GTA are popular, all ppl do is walk around grabbing guns and capping some faggots ass.

CoD is popular too.

In fact, you are right, mainstream consumers just want to grab a gun and go shooting.

No, not anymore, people are getting bored.

I also don't get the point of having puzzles and confusing labyrinth in action games. Was playing FEAR back in the day and got stuck in some office level. Like holy shit, I loved the action but this was such a pointless boner killer.

brainless instant gratification is not for every game. youd get bored of that too

how fucking ironic that everything that happened in drake and josh turned out to be true.

Yeah, I've realized that when playing Serious Sam. But Doom has the right amount of corridors and rooms to keep it from being boring, just turn on the all keys cheat and enjoy yourself. It's just the stiff 2D models that bores me.

how embarassing

It's actually good design because it paces you, think of it like a horror film. The puzzles made you appreciate the gunplay even more.

I never thought i'd be 600k in debt
I found a way, I found a way

Variety, pacing and it adds an element of exploration, navigation and mystery. I hate modern FPS because they lack all of this.

Also how the fuck did you get lost in FEAR? The foundation of every section in that game was "Linear path with optional side path for items/better position in gun fight".

Everyone in this thread has taken OPs bait line hook and sinker. Either that or OP is one of the stupidest morons to ever live on this planet.

I dunno I never watched that show because I'm not a goddamn child.

Marketing.
>We are NEVER taking you out of the game. You see everything happening in this cinematic trailer? This is not a cutscene, ladies and gentlemen. Someone is playing this!
Meanwhile instead of an interesting cutscene you can skip on later playthroughs, you slowly walk down a hallway while a lady talks at you.

are you talking about that fucking ringing cell phone in the roof?

They want people to see everything that they worked on.

Why did you have a boner when playing F.E.A.R?

You would want to know, fag

People got too lazy to play video games, hence why modern games play themselves, this is the new trend

N-no. That'd be really gay if I that were the reason right?

Better? In what way? Bullet drop?

But it's supposed to be like a john woo flick?

Just add more stuff in the way and verticality.

Getting stuck in empty corridors ruins the pacing.

I always stuck in that office building mission where you're supposed to track down and save some woman. Everything looked the same.

Not a literal boner, just immersed in the action. You must be a girl or something to not get the idea of abstracted boner.

3D guns models, 60 frame per second walking and twitch/stagger animations, physics, blood splatter, particle effects of projectile hitting any object, and so on. They just look so much more refined and enjoyable.

Has he commented on all this anti gay stuff surrounding him

I totally am user. Let's go to a love hotel and do stuff. You can trust me.

the (((gaming media))) insisted this is the right approach to take because (((valve))) did it and everything (((valve))) and (((gabe newell))) do is automatically good.

turns out it's worse than cutscenes because 9/10 times you can skip cutscenes if you don't care about them. walkie talkies? stand-around-and-get-talked-at? you can't skip shit. You're forced to wait through it. western game design is a mistake.

It got pretty intense sometimes.

A lot of what you just listed is fluff and not crunch though.

ILL TELL YOU WHAT

CLYDE IS LITERALLY BTFO

So the upgrade is mostly graphical and not in any way mechanical.

I always thought jontron was josh. I really fucking did.

As opposed to unskippable cutscenes or VN style dialogue that you have to click through that we get in grorios nihon?

By your definition, we haven't evolved from Battlezone. Tell me how shooting 2D monsters consisted of 3 frame animation in Doom is as fun as splitting one guy into 2 pieces with shotgun in FEAR, blowing someone's face off in Soldier of Fortune 2, shooting a guy's leg and seeing him falling off a ledge in GTA IV, and blowing nasty chunks of zombie flesh in KF2.

Tell me how executions and Glory Kills for every monster is as fun as going fast.
All what you just wrote is just animations. It is pure fluff. It doesn't impact the way the game plays. It just effects how you feel about the game and so it's rather subjective.

Also did you just shit talk Doom and Battlezone?

as opposed to a movie file you can skip with the press of a button that can also do things games cant thus giving you an alternative form of entertainment ensuring a proper break in the pacing and better story delivery

I would rather have unskippable cutscenes than chatty shit that goes on while I'm trying to play the game. It throws my groove off.
If you're playing an RPG then you shouldn't be complaining about story stuff. If you don't like it then pick a different genera.

I literally didn't mention anything about glory kills.

That's not gunplay. Gunplay is how your guns handle and how NPC's and environment are affected by them.

Having more amount of mechanics and animation is quantitative objective.

they want alot of that because it's easier to show off in demo videos and is very casual friendly

But can it kill people?