Mark I thought you figured out the first time you tried it that forced-anonymous was wildly unpopular despite the...

Mark I thought you figured out the first time you tried it that forced-anonymous was wildly unpopular despite the support for it

Other urls found in this thread:

sys.8ch.net/log.php?page=9&board=v
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wow! A thread a few wee hours close to the time 4 AM threads are made. What A COINCIDENCE.

Oh, so that's why, more 4AM shitflinging. No wonder, that was the last time it was used for too and it was undone within a day since people figured out the name-field's kind of important.

It's not important. Why is it important? Quickly, before your thread gets deleted.

I was gonna hit the sack, but seeing this, damn, gonna be a fun night.

fuck off tripfag and or namefag. We have IDs, that's all we need

Mark said it was only for a week, yeah. Just put your details in here, the name doesn't really matter.

/thread

TRIPFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

What is ID hopping

I hope Mark keeps it that way.

Artists, ROB-guy, Anton & Coolpecker, other cases where a persistent identity is needed given the assumption they won't be using it outside of that particular thread.

What, he won't even commit to it? Not that he did the first time, understand, but at least he gave himself a time-limit he probably won't meet this time.

/thread

I dunno, what are IDs?

FUCK THIS THREAD. LOOK AT THESE DUCKS

B-But they need a tripcode!!! Bawwwww!!! Why can't I attention whore!!!

that you newfag

really makes you think

Yeah can't you just ban those cancerous 4am threads instead, I only use a name occassionally for stupid gags but I hate that those 4am cucks may have caused this when just deleting the 4am threads is perfectly adequate.

Hell make me into a janitor and just allow me to delete those threads, they pop up at 9pm in my country, I'm on most nights at that time.

There aren't any world renowned artists coming here. Even if there were, they could verify their identity through other means.
Honestly, I don't even know why that guy's so important, but he can also verify his identity through other means. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty much going to say that for the other examples that you've provided. People have social media accounts with an online presence. They can take photos with timestamp to verify who they are. They can announce an "AMA" before it happens. So, there goes that argument out the window.

Why else are they important?

Nah, only unprotected threads can get banned.

What, I just want to delete the threads whenever I see them, I mean this site has cancer but none is more cancerous than 4am.

You have to message mark on his twitter. I'd give it to you, but I actually don't have a twitter myself, so I do not remember my friendoreno.

I don't have twitter man.

nah, we totalllly need those threads for containment purposes
it's why we still have waifu threads and a undertale general
yeah, that's it

Make one and ask mark for Janny/Vol status mate, or e-mail the mod team, I don't know how else I can help m8

What's happening in this thread again?

just like 10minutemail

I will wait for some kind of official word from mark first.

funposting

I mean, just need to make sure that indeed 4am is the cause of this.

might just be for funs

No-effort blanket solutions are the future.

"World-renowned artists" are most certainly not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about art-thread goblins and the like who've made their own little name for themselves through their work. ROB-guy makes a fun thread every now and again and really the camera-work he does can be mimicked by anybody else who happens to have a bunch of systems, a camera, and some time on their hands. I'd personally rather not constantly blast the site's existence through social media methods of verification given the grand favors it's done for this site via election-season newfags; saying an argument's invalid doesn't make it so, by the by. Tripcodes are a quick and immediately recognizable way of maintaining a persistent identity in this format of website when it's necessary, and I don't think that just because one or two threads have people that abuse the system for one particular thread which Mark doesn't actually have the stones to commit to a banning of should mean the entire system needs to go out the window.

Le epin shitposting, apparently.

/thread

no, within 6 months

/thread

Do you actually use this board outside of meta threads?

Did I need to include a :^) to let you on to what that post was about?

I use a name all the time in agdg threads

So, constant feedback through photo verification and a posting on this person's social media accounts would be less trustworthy than a name? That seems unreasonable to me
This site isn't some secret haven that only "suave, in-the-know internet aficionados" know about, you know. It has a subreddit and, contray to what people believe, it can be found on search engines. Point is, "blasting the site's existence" isn't going to bring in any more new users than it otherwise would've acquired.
Never said any argument is invalid. I only said that your argument is pretty weak.
I don't know, maybe that's true. However, can't please everyone all of the time, I guess.

something an ID and proof of progress can achieve without the need

Dear, sir, just use this.

~Mr. Poz

/thread

Why the hell should I be running more than one site at a time just to make sure one imageboard thread is legitimate? Why all the dancing around just for the sake of not having tripcodes?
I'm under absolutely no delusions that's the case, general state of things already reflects it. But for any successful community it needs to be able to stand on its own merits instead of getting immediately inundated in people who don't understand the format or, worse, do understand but don't want to follow along. Refer to previous statement about election-season newfags.

About banning 4AM, that's something already tried and the only reason it's not in effect today is because Mark is spineless and bent immediately to criticisms on the action (โ€ฆfrom 4AM goblins themselves).

Problem being if you're autistic enough it's very easy to pretend to be somebody else. Proof-of-progress isn't as concrete as you'd like to think it is, especially if what you're posting is relatively simple in nature. An ID is not a replacement for a tripcode.

But in the end we're on an anonymous image board, such shenanigans are part of the festivities, and if you don't enjoy them, why not just take your shit to reddit?
You can also tell when someone is posting through their vocabulary and word choice, something much harder to imitate. Only the most advanced in the art of fraud can imitate such things, though it may be aided in the fact that there is no handwriting on this website, making it only slightly easier.

The whole point is to not know or care who anyone is.

๏ผฅ๏ผก๏ผด ๐’œ ๐š†๐™ท๐™พ๐™ป๐™ด ๏ผด๏ผฏ๏ผฎ ๐’ชโ„ฑ ๐Ÿ†‚๐Ÿ…ท๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ†ƒ ๐’œ๐’ฉ๐’Ÿ ๐——๐—œ๐—˜
๐™”๐™Š๐™ ๐™’๐Ÿš๐™๐™๐™ƒ๐™‡๐™€๐™Ž๐š‚ ๐Ÿ…ฒ๐Ÿ…พ๐Ÿ…ฒ๐Ÿ…บ ๐— ๐—”๐—–๐—”๐—ช

There's shenanigans and then there's being a faggot and trying to pass yourself off as somebody posting something interesting.

Sure, on paper, but in-practice (like with a lot of things) that's just not the case. Hell, thread IDs being a thing shows there's not much interest in true anonymity on Holla Forums at least.

That's not the point. The point is that a name on anonymous imageboard is significantly less reliable for identifying someone than verification through other means, (i.e. social media, photo verification, etc), therefore the argument that you're making sort of falls flat. You're arguing that a simple name is useful in determining a prominent user's identity, but a name and a tripcode are easily mimicked by impostors. Maybe you could argue that someone could go to the trouble of creating a fake social media account in order to impersonate a prominent user, but that's going to require a lot more effort than just stealing a name. In other words, the external verification would be a hell of a lot more trustworthy than a tripcode or name could ever be.
Fair point, but I don't see how context specific media announcements, that would be purely used for the sake of verification purposes, would be tantamount to "blasting the site's existence through social media". I mean, Mark, Hotweels, and probably other BO all have Twitter and Steam accounts, etc. and these people's accounts are directly linked to this site's existence, and yet they don't tend to bring in a constant supply of new users. I just don't think it's that big of an issue.

Anyway, we're sort of moving away from the original point, which is that the name field just isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Personally, I don't care if it's there or not, I think it has limited utility, but I can also see why people would want it. It's just that the usual defense of " it allows us to acquire prominent user verification" is pretty lackluster.
I think they should just ban Ritsu and his sycophants, honestly.

>>>/reddit/
that's a place you would find more comfortable

They perpetually ban evade and keep posting like nothing happened. It took like a solid month of banning them 10 times per night just to annoy them enough to make them stop using avatarsโ€ฆ

this
A lot of people miss this fact.
The people who get threads and topics "banned" do so because they won't fucking stop ban evading.

Tell mark to hire more vols, you'd be surprised at how many people have rage fueled S-Rank autism that outclasses even the most annoying tripfags.
No, I'm dead serious. Tell mark to put up and offer, ask for a schedule, do an interview, get to know the person, etc.
Hell, even make them SPECIFICALLY ban avatarfags. Like the terminator.

Sure, if you're not paying attention. If one character's off or there's a letter as plain whitetext then it's not them. The only other alternative is they guess the user-info required to use the original trip, last I checked.
I'll agree it's shaky but it's simply something I'd rather not see done on the basis of "who the hell are they also posting this to?" In the main I was thinking of Holla Forums memelords on Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook when writing that.
They do, constantly. Or used to. Ban evasion is easy; myself I don't see why they didn't just ban the tripcodes. Last I checked that was an available option and it'd frustrate them to have their ID code's useability robbed, at which point anybody could claim to be the TRUE and HONEST Ritsu.

S-Rank autism is basically a pre-requisite to becoming a hotpocket. There's this dude that spams and automatically switches IPs every 2 posts. I sat and watched the new post list for 4 hours, auto-refreshing every 3 seconds just to catch them.

IDs only exist so shitpost ears don't shit up a thread by arguing with themselves. Trip codes only exist for attention seeking

This
One guy earlier wanted in, It was

THIS GUY.

That's fucking amazing, what was he posting?

He was spamming random gibberish in the waifu thread.

Something they accomplish anyways via ID-hopping, or just arguing with other shitposters.
Verification that gets abused by attention-seekers.

you really are new

Maybe his waifu was MissingNo.

What is your solution?

probably the h*ck off tumblr(thing) guy

This page in the log shows that event, and the autism of hotpockets pretty well.
sys.8ch.net/log.php?page=9&board=v

Verification for what, anyway? No one on this site has any need for any verification, and if no one uses it for verification, they use it only for attention seeking. We are all NEET autist Holla Forumsirgins, and that's how it's supposed to be.

If it's that much of a problem, then maybe 4AM should be banned. Then again, on the other hand, it's not like they're spreading their antics to other threads, right? They usually only stay for their daily thread and then they leave, so even if they are persistent in ban evading, they're generally "respectful" of the rest of the board.

Honestly, the issue's significance is inflated. I say, let them have their shitty thread. Let them have their shitposting hour, it's not hurting other discussions. It only hurts other anons who don't want to see the idea of avatarfagging become accepted. The shitposting from these people might be exacerbated if the 4AM threads are banned. They truly are cancer.

Alternatively, someone with the know-how could hack into this website's databases and acquire access to tripcodes. I'm not a leet haxor but I'm pretty sure that's possible. There's also the possibility that another user could come and create a tripcode at the exact same time as the VIP. How would you then know, without some external verification at that point, which is which? Your addendum argument only works in the event that a hypothetical VIP has already confirmed their identity along with their tripcode.

Hey, I could probably argue every (1) "shit thread sage" response in any thread is the same guy ID-hopping under that logic. It's so obvious, how can you not see it?

Ban problem tripcodes, if possible.

Projects of interest, edge-cases (ie recurring threads) where the autist who makes them would find it handy to be identified, progress-reports.

All of those can be done anonymously.

It's not just 4AM
The same problem effects a plethora of other threads, and is part of the reason why the topics they discuss, though on their own warranted, are slid into oblivion.
Banning a thread is the only solution to the problem, and the only thing that can fix that is by deleting the OPs as they're created, bump locking serves no purpose for time specific threads.

That guy is absolutely hilarious

This is even more hilarious.

I do remember that was possible under halfchans administration, I wonder if the same is possible here.
Hey guy

Is it possible to filter tripcodes here?

Cancer literally means a cell that refuses to die and infects other cells, so they are cancer in every definition of the word. Ban ban ban ban.

It probably is. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised in the least seeing as how easy it is to do and how small the user base shrunk over the past year or so due to so many fucking shill attacks and server issues.

Before forced user, yeah.
I had a list of tripcodes blocked.

I dunno, only Mark or another BO would know but I highly doubt it.

If I'm remembering right the way tripcodes work is they're essentially a key-and-password system, you put in a certain string of numbers or letters and get a certain result, and that result can be skewed such as putting in retardedly specific strings to get custom tripcodes that say something.
Upload a photo or a screenshot of a file or something else along with it so they know that trip's the real deal. Still done internally.
Which is something they'll need to do once and then never again.

Not if you have any intention of yours being recognized as the "genuine article", so to say. Once again if somebody's really bent on it they can fabricate one-off results similar or identical to your own to pretend to be you.

I meant boardwide. For example "Dogshiteater!i3u3823COCKS" would be unable to post due to the name

Ahh, don't think you can. Tried making a board a while back and didn't see anything of the such in the moderation panel.

Damn. I remember halfchan had those. Wish this site wasn't made out twigs, thankfully the userbase isn't even 1/4th as cancerous as the ones over there.

A blessing, it especially makes the cancerous users much more noticeable.

This brings me back to the original point; the tripcode/name combination by itself isn't fool proof, and must be supplemented with some type of additional verification. Maybe using your method, the VIP wouldn't have to broadcast their information on social media, but they'd still have to use the tripcode in conjunction with some other method that provides additional information, in order to verify themselves and disprove any other potential impersonator.

So, the argument that names/tripcodes are more useful than using some other alternative form of verification is weak, isn't it?

Gas yourself you retarded faggot.

Sure, but I see the argument of using third-party social media as the "persistence" vector to be just as weak. I see a foolproof verification method such as a photo or something else undeniable with a tripcode as a secondary and persistent ID method after the first is confirmed as a one-and-done solution, as compared to keeping or using a pre-existing social media account for verification each and every time and in the process potentially bringing over undesirables with each time you confirm your identity.

Every problem can be solved by just not fucking using tripcodes and going along with the general tomfoolery and weapons grade autism because that's the fucking point of using this website. To not know who anyone is or what they're really doing, but infer things on their own merits and have a laugh at those who go too far.

I'll grant you that it's convenient, but given the event that you can no longer use the tripcode, you can still use other verification methods to confirm your identity if the situation demands that you confirm your identity. Therefore, the tripcode itself isn't necessary, and we've already established that it isn't more reliable than said external methods.
It's possible, I suppose, but I don't think anyone who doesn't already have an interest in "chan culture" or anonymous imageboards is going to suddenly take an interest in this place simply because someone that they follow is a self identified member of our little community.

So, not unless you're seeking attentionโ€ฆ Who cares who's running it, as long as it's ran well?

I don't see the problem.
Name fields are good for Toddposting, I suppose. But not much else.

Isn't that good?

My favourite part of tonight was that Ritsu didn't make a new thread. Almost like he doesn't want to make one if he can't spam his trip and 2d whore everywhere while pretending to care about others.

Post commissions from other anons or just their own work, so it has a similar style. They don't need a name as they can't exactly put "I draw lewd things on h8chan" into their resume.
First off, you're new for calling him "ROB-guy".
Secondly, He pretty much avatarfags by posting his collection of various Nintendo items. No one else makes threads like him, so it's pretty easy to spot him.
Showing you're new again. That thing is dead save for 2-3 guys who make minor changes, clinging to the hope that others come and do the majority of the work for them. It was ruined by trip/namefags, so this argument is even more laughable.

No drawfag uses tripcodes or names besides newfags here. I don't know where he's getting at.

There was a 4 am thread today, but looks like it got nuked.