Decided to play this baby here for the first time...

Decided to play this baby here for the first time, but the Holla Forums wiki said it has some bug and some patches may be necessary. Which ones would you say are "must have"? Any tips for a beginner?

I'm going with the GoG edition, if that makes any difference.

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/forum/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura/must_have_arcanum_fan_patches_widescreen_and_more/page1
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760410053
terra-arcanum.com/downloads/
terra-arcanum.com/forums/index.php?threads/arcanum-command-line-arguments.15208/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gog.com/forum/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura/must_have_arcanum_fan_patches_widescreen_and_more/page1

As for tips, explain what will be the specialization of your character first. Melee, thrown, bowman, firearms? Magic or technology? Which branches of either?

I made to the first city then told the midget faggot you are supossed to talk to, to fuck off, and the game was like NO FUCK YOU NOW GET STUCK FOREVER HERE, great rpg shit amiright, uninstal.exe that trash

Thank you for the tip.

Which is more "fast paced"? In a sense I have to go pressing buttons, doing combos and killing instead of staying still with a simple auto attack or something. I think magic would suit best, no?

In fact if you could give a little explanation on the different specializations, i would appreciate.
I have it downloaded, but i am waiting for my semester to end so i can play it.

a lot of people do say rp magic user does make the game easy and is usually advised the first play through

Back then you needed to install a lot of shit but now you can just install this and you're set steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760410053

more mods and utils here: terra-arcanum.com/downloads/
about tips:

I think that's all

forgot, if you're going to be a a fighter with some magic or tech, just pick support spells/skills that aren't dependent on aptitude to be good. For example, a damage spell will do more damage the more magical aptitude you have. But some spells like buffs (+4 speed for example) aren't dependent on aptitude and are useful for all kinds of builds

Thank you, bro. Do you know how to make the game run in windowed mode? Adding -windows to the shortcut is making it crash at start.

Get the unofficial patch, slap it on top of that there gog release and for the love of god stop reading wikis and spoiling for spoilers. And it's perfectly viable to ignore both magic and tech, and absolutely ruin faggots with throw or melee (sneak or otherwise).

Tech's also piss easy to get into. A jerrycan of fuel and some rags from the literal trash makes for nasty molotovs. Also rings of speed and balanced swords are something amazing fo so early in the game.

are you playing with the high res patch? tbh I don't remember how to play windowed, I never did it. Anyways here are some command line arguments where you can change the renderer and stuff, perhaps they can help you terra-arcanum.com/forums/index.php?threads/arcanum-command-line-arguments.15208/

FYI Axes don't break when they hit hard things, that's a sword feature

Only arcane or whatever they're called and that goes for swords too. The axes and hammers swing much slower so it's less apparent but they'll still lose durability when hitting metal or rock.

Are you talking about the guy who tries to get you to give him the ring? You can just kill him when he tries to attack you at the bridge later.

Combat can be very easily broken with certain builds. Notably anything that is ranged and lets you attack lots of times a round. For truly boring combat, go with throwing and temporal magic school. You eventually end up with 50AP and attacks that take 2AP.

For more interesting combat, go with technology. Firearms or smithing, doesn't matter which. You can make bullets once you buy the schematic for them and the items to make them are in bins all over the place. Also get a point in the healing tech discipline so you can make healing items and never have to pay for them again.

Swords take multiple durability damage every hit, that even goes for nonmagic swords like the Balanced Sword, which also has a fast attack rate. Axes like the featherweight axe don't take any extra durability damage. They still degrade, but not every hit/multiple per hit.

If you go for melee, you can get the fastest swinging sword in the game if you fight in the arena on the Isle of Despair. It's not very durable, but you can pull off twelve swings with it in one round with a right build.

Wasn't the Pyrotechnic Axe virtually indestructible?

for maximum DPH brokenness, just max out backstab, drink a speed potion, equip a speed dagger and choose turn based combat, then proceed to backstab your enemies for hundreds of hits before they can even attempt to attack you

Yes, and they'll still break eventually if you start whaling on something tougher than wood. Sentient stone for example. Except Arcane equipment.

Might be. It's been a little while since the last time I played. I just remember that switching to an axe to break doors, golems, and fire elementals really helps with that issue, and that I typically used a featherweight axe for that purpose because it was easy to tech to (I think the first dwarf RPC was able to make it, so it was available every game)

How do you manage to post here with your IQ?

There was no bridge anywhere. Maybe this piece of shit was bugged, the water did look weird.

You'll hit the level cap about one third/half the game, depending on your tendency to exterminate anything hostile in sight. What especially sucks about it, is that your companions that are on lower exp. level than your character when you recruit them will never reach the 50th level without using the cap remover.

Top right

Pretty sure I rarely actually hit the level cap in my playthroughs, and I'm pretty thorough. A couple of times I grinded to cap in the desert, but usually I finish the game around level 47-48. Note that difficulty affects xp gain (higher difficulty=less xp)

That depends on colleges you pick. Temporal and summoning if together were the most fun for me.

I usually hit the level cap around the visit to Quintarra.

I could be mistaken, I might just be remembering the NPC levels near the end, or I could be using the cap remover. I know I've done that at least once.

That is the desert that I am talking about, but it definitely requires world map grinding to cap there.

I forgot to add that you have to loot it from the corpse of the one-before-last opponent there.

Yep, that path didnt even go that far.

pics or it didn't happen

ArcanumXNoNoise will preserve your sanity if you use buffs.
arcanum.wikia.com/wiki/Modding_and_Patches

If you keep Virgil in your party, way later in the game you'll encounter a bug with him. You'll need to temporarily remove the high resolution patch to cause him and other things to spawn correctly.
There's also a bug with a boat and the captain not spawning, which means you can't go back. The same thing applies.
You must remove the resolution patch before the problem occurs or you'll be screwed. Afterwards, reinstall it and you're fine.

lol u fagget the game has multiple ways to accomplish ur goals the first town literally has like 8 dif ways 2 leave it but u chose 2 b a fagot instead ;)