Final Fantasy

Is there a single more overrated franchise out there than Final Fantasy? A series of absolutely shallow games with subpar writing that retards who don't know better jerk over to, not even the music is that good, Cornelia's Castle from FFI is totally not Pachelbel's Canon and FFVII helped foster the cancer that is cinematic "games". I hate this series.

yeah those grapes sure are sour man
i feel ya

I don't like grapes

Dragon Quest.

Eh, they're not that great, but they're not absolutely terrible. The music is pretty good, the visual designs for both monsters and characters are at least interesting, and there are some interesting boss fights throughout the series. Wrexsoul is an interesting boss, it will possess one of the characters in your party he'll only reappear when the possessed party member is about to die, so you have to damage them and learn to manage your health in between dealing damage. Is it simple? Sure, but at least you sort of have to think about what you're going to do instead of mashing the attack button. Yeah, there are ways to cheese most of the bosses, but you can always impose restrictions on yourself to make things more interesting.

This is the case for most JRPGs

I don't like FF either but the music is fucking amazing.

FF ripped off DQ (regardless of what DQ ripped off in the first place) and became more famous while having worse "gameplay", which became especially worse with and following IV (which is for some strange reason my favourite).

Dark Souls is far more overrated than Final Fantasy

First post, and already the FF defense force swoops in. FF was never good, and thanks to the fans/squarenix it never will be.

Your first day here?

TES, easily.

Final Fantasy is babby's first rpg. It's friendly enough to let you learn the mechanics of turn based fights, and you really have to go out of your way to fuck up your characters.
They are praised for being story and character driven, which although creates a great cinematic experience, doesn't mean it's a good game. See FFVII.

Exceptions being Japanese FFII, FFVIII, arguably FFXII, and some of the spin offs like Tactics.

Pokemon.

FFXII with its retarded licence system and terrible story has no redemption.

the fact that it's easy to permanently fuck up your characters, and the complexity of the battle system makes it normalfag deterrent enough.

I miss the gambit system. Not so many games let you customise your own teammate AI to a certain degree.

I will fight you. FFXII's story is a work of art, but you have to play it twice.

Game is actually infinitely more fun if you completely ignore the gambit option.

How does it feel to be so wrong? The gameplay is ass, I agree, but the writing and environment design are amazing.

Yeah, a shit load of them. Sticking with the genre here's one far more overrated.

P2 is the apex of SMT, though. Shame we'll never have the Soul Hackers-Nocturne era again.

(You)

Because SMT wasn't a generic dungeon crawler.

Nah dude, the only game that's arguably better is Nocturne, the very next game the team made. So the point of it being a "golden age" stands.

The writing is absolutely dogshit and Vaan feels absolutely shoehorned into the story. Most characters are LOTGH style anime stereotypes.

He dares to have an unpopular opinion??

Can you even call personas dungeon crawlers with their shitty dungeon design?

The nerve!

Franchises more overrated than FF:

FINAL FANTASY IS DEAD

explain why MvC is overrated

Quite frankly there hasn't been that much following for final fantasy games in a long while.
You are living in the past.

Then don't play it you fucking faggot.

MGS is more overrated than Final Fantasy. Even FF XIII had more gameplay than MGS IV and V.

Yes. Pokemon.

People still care about Left 4 Dead?

MGS4 and 5 sucked but that doesn't change the fact that the first three games were god-tier.

Well GEE, OP. I'll sure take your opinion into consideration and never play a single video game every again. I c-c-can't believe there are so many threads dedicated to subjective ideas rather than cold hard facts.

Guess i'll just go back to listening to Soaps on the Mechanical Radio Listening Device.

The Soulsborne series

Monster Hunter
Elder Scrolls
Persona
Smash Bros

Call of Duty, all FPS overall etc.

Nice try, but this game is far better than every FF combined.

Only the ZJS is 'you can fuck up a character'. The Garment Grid is 'you can make a character do everything'.

ZJS is why I'm not purchasing the remake if/when I get a PS3 or 4.

(I liked the collectors edition.)

They're giving you a second license board per character. Don't really know if that will help, never got around to playing IZJS.

First of all one game doesn't redeem that dumpster fire of a franchise or the damage it's done to Atlus and the entire genre (mainline SMT, LoH series, Xanadu all infected with Persona's cancer). Second of all Persona 1 and 2 aren't "overrated" those games are widely considered to be shit by the Persona "fandom" and nobody really cares about them outside of Holla Forums. We both know I was talking about 3,4, and 5 which are constantly shilled by weebs and normalfags as the greatest JRPGs ever made.

Can't we just all agree that all JRPG's suck fucking ass and that the only good RPG's to have ever existed were Gothic 1&2?

Eh FF is a good series until X-2
opinions may vary

Over rated franchises
Halo. Fifa. Pokemon. CoD.

Good series until FFVIII

Daily reminder that Toriyama brutally murdered Final Fantasy.

final fantasy was always shit

shallow but comfy. i used to grind for hours in ff2 and enjoy it. nowadays i can't stand any ff game though.

dq is shit, even shallower than ff

Yiff