Why the fuck are numbers considered a valid gameplay mechanic?

Why the fuck are numbers considered a valid gameplay mechanic?

Because I said so.
Any more questions?

SUMMER

user one of the oldest games in history is throwing rocks with images on them and betting what will come up. Be glad you even have numbers.

Because you got dubs so did I

numbers as in stats and levels, user

oh my

put the dubs in the bag

Because numbers are the basic system we've established to quantify things.

its not
its visual aid

because
this shump game wants you to FUCKING KILL EVERYTHING TO DEAL LEVEL UP AND KILL EVEN MORE

this

but user, putting numbers in games removes skill. By making leveling up a thing, the game becomes "my numbers are bigger than your numbers so I win"

Those planes look macross~y. Can you transform into robot?

sadly, no.
macross fucking sucks

Vidya is made of numbers, so how do you make a game without numbers as a mechanic?

a walking simulator

You fucking suck, die.

By removing the concept of stats? Removing the concept of damage modifiers?

how do you die then

You can't remove 0 and 1 states. Otherwise you'd end up with walking sim or a VN i.e. not a video game.

Without numbers, the game doesn't know where you are, what buttons you're pressing, or even whether it's running.
Vidya literally cannot exist without numbers.

even then the VN needs to know when you press a button and you need numbers for walking sims for things like movement speed and activating movement

health has to stay obviously but levelups, damage modifiers, skill points, and other similar things are what I'm referring to

Like I dunno play pong, or original arcanoid, there are plenty of games like that. Fuck even wolfenstein 3D is kinda like that.

what about damage levels

DMC3 HOH mode comes to mind. You don't have health/damage in that one.

How does the game work then

Everything dies in one hit. It's top fun.

But that means Dante has 1 health and does 1 damage, as does everything

That's why I said you can't not have 0s and 1s.
Are you stupid?

What about movement, I'm pretty sure everything doesn't have the same movement
Nor the same attack rate

I guess you are.
Play go homo then.

No reason against it.

Everything is made of numbers, including you, gayboi.

i am autism

Your numbers look pretty valid to me.

not all games are like that and if you didn't know it ur a faggot. But you're also a faggot for asking that vague question like you don't know what maths is and then turning around and going "muh levels n stats" Nigga fuck you.

Which is why all real life sports are totally skill free.

Are you retarded?

You're a fucking retard mate.

Not skills.

Are you actually retarded or just pretending.

Take the 100m sprint
You can extrapolate a runner's acceleration, top speed and ability to maintain top speed to have a way of telling who is faster
Everything is numbers

Numbers can be extrapolated, sure. They aren't the core of it though, they are just used to get an exact measurement of skill. This is the equivalent of speedrunning in vidya.

You said "add numbers." Score is a number.

I have autism and am confused
Sure numbers are a representation but they are the representation of everything

Because the game's code is numbers.
Even if they were hidden they would still be numbers.

Yes.

Is everything just numbers?

Probably, but for vidya it's guaranteed.
If this explanation isn't enough, Pong kept score through numbers.

user, everything is numbers. Even you.

Because numbers are simplest way to abstract power and progression in a game. In games like RPGs it's practically necessary as their gameplay is centered around managing character progression. There are certainly more clever and inventive ways to represent these things to the player, but underneath the hood it's all going to be numbers anyways.

Believe it or not, managing stats and building a good character can also be a skill. In games where it's as simple as "make numbers bigger to win" than it's analogous to action games where it's as simple "mash A to win".

Gimme a hug man.

Fucking hell this thread reads like a couple of thirteen year olds arguing.

How are you going to play a game if it has no numbers, you dense fuck? The entire thing is based on 0s and 1s.
When you invent a way to program games with feelings and pictures, let me know.

Real fucking genius we got right here.

Yes

Feelings and pictures still can be quantified with numbers

It's numbers all the way down, user.

Nox online multiplayer was the shining example of the gamer's utopia: balanced like an angel on the head of a pin, where only skill separated the men from the faggot masses of normalfaggots. You will never again in the history of gaming rise to the status of a (lowercase g) god who could almost effortlessly kill anyone else.

Quantify the feeling of slightly-happy-because-the-sun-is-out-and-the-wind-is-blowing-but-i-have-to-poop with a number. I'll wait.

You didn't show your work or provide a mathematical proof, user. That's not quantification, it's merely a claim.

rolling

Such a measure cannot be derived from first principles as it is empirical. To measure and numerically describe the complex feeling you conjured in a feeble attempt to prove your retarded point (since "numbers" are inherently a universal system to describe and quantify anything), you'd rely on measuring electrical activity in the brain of someone exposed to that particular stimulus. The range of results across multiple individuals could be described by a distribution. Everything can be quantified, because that's the point of quantification. The uninspired game you're playing without even being able to understand that you're playing it is epistemological. Sage for being tricked into actually communicating with non-STEM filth.

What a depressing and nihilistic worldview to have.

You don't understand what was said, and you don't understand the terms you are using.

I know exactly what I said, what you said, what all terms involved mean, and that you should kill yourself right after I'm done fucking your whore of a waifu.

you quantify that with a scale of feelings

You forgot units. Is that 16 Feels, 16 Kilofeels, or 16 Megafeels?

2A 2S 6H 2S 3Dg 4Dc

Lol_I_Troll_U.jpg

Numbers are fun. My favourite number is 6

Sure
Is
Summer
In
Here
In
Summer
Is
Sure

Pokemon proves you wrong

coming up next, computerless vidya

You know video games are made with numbers, right?

Reported. Fuck off.