Vidya charts thread

Post charts

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2013/07/22/grim-tidings
slantmagazine.com/film/review/pacific-rim
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That shit needs to be redone. Like seriously, from scratch.

Hey, I'm not the one who made it.

Well since /m/ is dead how about we remake it into something actually mecha related?

I can into photoshop, but something like typing, proofreading and supplying images sounds like too much of a hassle to do all by myself.
You can submit image/text and I can copypaste it into the image.

The biggest problem I foresee is faggots going autistic about what is /m/ and what isn't. I mean I'm such one autist, I fucking refuse to count earthworm jim as /m/. By that logic let's throw in sonic, megaman, and like every second genesis platformer and every sincle PS1 jrpg since all of them had robotic shit in some way.
Fucking castlevania has animated armors, let's throw that in too!

I think we should create a standard of what is /m/ and what isn't.

For something to be /m/ related it must have giant robots in a prominent or central focus. Stuff like C&C and Starcraft don't count because even if they have giant robots, it's still not "about" them.

Having robots and power armor also doesn't make something /m/ either, so Blade Runner, and Star Wars are off the list as well.

Found an extended version of the 4th one.

Sounds reasonable. Wanna try and roll separate thread, or just start doing it there?

Most of the infographics are reddit-tier and most likely were made by them. Enjoy >50% recommended shit being a waste of time.

We might as well start doing it here.

That raises some questions in itself. Why must they be giant? How much must they focus on it? Is Gurren Lagann /m/?

Make better ones yourself then, tough guy. It's not hard.

The mario game line misses jumpman from the C64, which was the inspiration for platformer marios in the first place.

Well, I think anything larger than a man-sized powered armor suit will do. So stuff like VOTOMS and the Gears from Heavy Gear and up. I think this definition works because it keeps out stuff that "technically" fit the definition of power armor but don't really belong on the list.

And yes, Gurren Lagann is /m/. Let me put it this way, if Star Wars was about an ATAT pilot or something it would qualify as /m/ related, but it isn't about people piloting ATATs, so even if that stuff exists in the background it doesn't qualify for this list. The reason the list is shit is because the defined parameters are too vague so it includes alot of extraneous crap that doesn't belong there at all.

How many of these games have density?
I only played GTA and Oblivion, and only the first had stuff around every corner.

Start posting pics and texts then. I'll go take a nap and when return start doing this shit.
In mean time you can settle down on font and image size.
Just to put it out there - white text on black BG is cancer and kills eyes, it's gonna be good ol black on white/light grey grampa friendly chart.

I'm fairly sure Xenoblade X's world is the biggest so far.

Guren Lagann is a shitty remake of Getter Robo, why wouldn't it be /m/? Just because you don't like something doesn't include it from its genre.
What TTGL isn't - a video game.

Here's an updated version of cuhrayzee chart

What the fuck happened to civilization that nobody is hot for some big robo vidya? Look at all the tankshit for instance. What the fug?

Is there a PC-98 chart or any nip only vidya charts? I only got VN charts for nip vidya.

It requires some updating.
Vanquish and Bayonetta now have definitive PC versions and I suppose one could add Transformers Devastation and Nier Automata, although neither HAVE to be on the list.

Here comes the pasta, I didn't write it:

newyorker.com/magazine/2013/07/22/grim-tidings
slantmagazine.com/film/review/pacific-rim
The industry is fully aware that giant piloted robots make regulars feel uncomfortable. We've talked a shitload about this before. I don't remember the technical term, but it's the term for the threshold a fictional element must cross in order to be "just accepted" by the audiences suspension. Like in x-men, everyone more or less understands there is no meaningful explanation for their powers, but because it's fantastical enough people just buy into it for the movie. Some people can shoot fire and some can fly. It's whatever.
But when something is directly analogue to the real world, people expect a proper explanation. It isn't strange enough to just accept as being part of the fictional worlds rules (internally logical for the story), and it isn't part of real world activity, thus it demands an explanation. Here is where the problem comes though. It's a giant, complex machine. Any explanation will inevitably be equally complex, or at least the person expects it to be. This is, ironically, what a lot of people who are into mecha really like. There tends to be a caveat that explains it all (miniaturized nuclear power packs, or a special metal, or some sort of new tech that allows for all sorts of things).
People (normalfags, as people might reference them) don't see piloted mechs as "larger aircraft/spaceships", they seem them more akin to say a giant reactor mixed with a computer. They have no idea how to work the dials or make sure a power plant runs efficiently. They don't know how to pilot a spaceship either, but it seems more or less analogous to driving a car, and so it's not really seen as complex or urelatable. If you made a movie about a guy taking care of all the nitty gritty of say, an electrical distribution center, the jargon would make regular people feel incredibly alienated, and stupid. This is what people expect with giant robots (regardless of it happening or not). They just see a giant gulf of knowledge between them and understanding how a giant robot works. It's a giant machine, and the audience expects to feel stupid. Simply because it's not seen as a fantastical element.
Hence, the innate reaction to them.
There is also a racism aspect: giant robots are seen as a jap thing. People see jap stuff as weird and fetishized (well they aren't wrong). Hence they don't want to be seen as weirdo's either for liking jap stuff.

A semi-normalfag (i.e goon) I went to school with hated mecha because they're often piloted by animu teenage pilots. He didn't have anything against the concept of giant robots though.

You can't blame him. Characters like Ryoma or Zengar are far and few between.

How do people make these charts so orderly? What programs do they use apart from unbridled autism?

Photoshop.

I don't understand the Mario timeline. Why is SMW a dream? Why is Donkey Kong placed after several games where Mario is already a plumber?

They go to that much trouble to not feel dumb? Man, normalfags are weird. At least the japanese thing makes some sense.

So, normalfags being the subhuman filth they always were?

GIMP, Krita, Photoshop, whatever image editing program they could use.

I hope you will become shaman and they will stuff your fragging ass full of cyberware, chum.

Genesis version is way better yes.

That better be a halfchan list.

That Retro Gamer description is so God damn accurate for me that it isn't even funny anymore.
Also the elitist should be swapped with one of the above.

God these lists are so out of date

Does anybody have that iceberg chart with vidya music? I will ask every god damn thread until it get's posted.

how hard is it to properly crop your images, jeesus

Any list out there for recommended Rom hacks?

Perhaps I'll make a dekiruchan vidya chart for anons learning moonrunes. Feel free to reply to this post with good nip only games.

I believe in you, anons.

>or yume 2kki wher you can change into a lewd bathing suit
Not bad though 70/71

God bless you, user.

I have been looking for this version of the cuhrayzee chart for quite a long time. Bayo is unquestionably a member of the holy trinity, and I'd easily replace DMC4 with NGB.

Nigga what are you doing

Does someone have a flowchart of the Metroid series?

is there a ps1 chart?

What should I try if I played IV on DS and thought it was boring as shit and grindy with awful writing but I also kind of liked FFX?

Also got PS1 nip only VNs if you want that.

Requesting any DS or 3DS lists.

1. Play Super Metroid
2. The End.

The shitty 3ds chart from cuckchan should be in the 3ds homebrew thread

I did not make the original chart (this one ), I only tried to fix it. Better now?
To be honest it still needs JRPG and WRPG split up into sub genres and if possible a removal of 10% of current games.

Forgot the image, obviously.

I'd also like to roll Metroidvania into other categories and cut down the number of them a bit. Maybe drop a Silent Hill game too (three of the same series is excessive if they don't have major gameplay differences). Possibly also drop Visual Novels as a distinct category (already removed ASSFAGGOTS if you compare the original chart and the modified one). What I really need is suggestions though.

Korra is fucking dogshit and should be removed from that chart. I fucking insist. You can replace it with something like Guilty Gear Judgement and it still will be a better recommendation.

What the actual fuck.

Anyway, petition to add Hollow Knight to the Metroidvania category and Guilty Gear Xrd + its sequels to the Fighting category.

This is an overall better Holla Forums essentials

Instant fucking discarded. But wait there is more
Ha fucking ha.

I did say I wanted to split up JRPG and WRPG into distinct genres like has been done with strategy/tactics, I'm just too lazy to bother.
Remember that I didn't put them there in the first place. If you can suggest somewhere else for them to go then I'll try and fix it.

Give covers for them, also find someone to replace in fighting. And I'd ideally like to remove metroidvania and fit the games into other categories.

This is surprisingly free from the cancer i expected

The original one had Undertale and Bioshock 1 on it.

awful platformer with shitty combat. pointer controls are garbage for third person game play.
there's a reason no one cares about this game
faggy non-game
unfinished, unpolished, boring turd
this list is really awful, I can't even go on but holy shit there's zeno clash and oni how awful can your tastes be

Found the fag

eat shit you SRPG fucking plebeian and kill yourself, fire emblem has always been entry level trash for retarded nintoddlers

What are the essential games that you would add to it user? Someone with your opinions probably has a lot of experience with good games.

should I go by platform?

The Souls games and Bloodborne should be in action-adventure.
Catherine should be in puzzle.
Melee shouldn't be in fighting (you can make a "party game" category if you really want to have it on the list) and Punch-Out should be in action.
Guilty Gear Xrd should be under fighting, as I mentioned.

They're all 2D platformers so you can just put them there.

List as many good games as you can think of. I'm morbidly curious.

You have no room to call others Nintoddlers, user-kun.

mark is a kike

WHERE'S MY ICEBERG CHART WITH VIDYA MUSIC?

Are you by any chance a small Japanese child from the year 1989?

Agreed
No class, your views are that of the most basic contrarian hipster

only a kike (mark) bans someone for mocking console wars

FIXED

as a prerequisite not to upset any autists, I'll name a few PC games
doom
thief tdp
thief tma
system shock

im taking a break now but needless to say Holla Forums-core is such shit taste

o forgot 2

wasn't there one for freeware games?

slightly better version file limitations be damned

PC has more fighting games than any other platform, plus it has Dong Dong Never Die and the 2hu fighters. The fuck is with this chart?

I'm not going to bother bogging people down with boring ass first person shooters or text heavy rpgs that replace dialog options with game play, if you want to play those kinds of games, you know where to find them, I've played most of them - at least the most talked about ones and can say confidently they aren't worth my time and will recommend to everyone they aren't worth their time. I prefer games with a higher skill requirement than point and click.

(you)

I've only got the regular ones.

neat.

Because Automobilisita and Richard Burns Rally are all the rage these days.

I've only ever played a Doom wad made for marines, what else is there?

There's that TitanIM thing.

Does one have to be aware that they're Gregor or is the title of Gregor bestowed upon them?

I know I'm probably being meme'd on, but I never thought my tastes were that unusual.

Doesn't matter. Normally a whole thread would be made for these and you'd circle all the games you've played and see how many levels you're on.

Fuck that chart. pc98 is like newfag's first examination of japanese computers.

No

Yes?

This is too god damn easy.

Ralph

literally who?

To do:
If faggots would give suggestions for any of the above it'd help.

Swap out Yakuza 3 with 5, and for the love of God, PUT ANACHRONOX IN THE WRPG CATEGORY, IT WAS DEVELOPED BY ION STORM FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Give me the cover art faggot.
JRPG IS NOT A GEOGRAPHIC LABEL
I swear to fucking god. JRPG is dictated by gameplay elements, not how squint the developers' eyes are.
Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, for example, do not belong under JRPG this will be corrected in a few hours when I can be arsed. Also in the next version WRPG won't even exist as a category, it's going to be split up into cRPG, ARPG etc etc. Even if I did more Anacrhonox there it'd end up back in JRPG anyway.

move*
Anybody who suggests cutting Beneath a Steel Sky from adventure games will have all of their opinions discarded.

Yes it is, because CRPGs, SPRGs, ARPGs, and even LRPGs light RPGs, what most people refer to as generic JRPGs aren't bound by the country they're made in.

That's an argument for eliminating JRPG as a category and replacing it with LRPG, not for retaining JRPG as 'RPG of any sub-genre made by japs' (it'd be a useless category otherwise). The issue with that is the vast majority of people are much more comfortable calling LRPGs JRPGs.