/agdg/ + /vm/ ~ Amateur Gamedev General

AESTHETICS EDITION

Stuff:
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Old:

It's the weekend. Post progress or get bullied.

Other urls found in this thread:

hastebin.com/foyicutame.cs
cgworld.jp/feature/201704-cgw225-nier-2.html
artstation.com/
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/Engine/FTimerManager/SetTimer/6/index.html
theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/index.html
redblobgames.com/
unf.edu/~broggio/cop2221/2221pseu.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocode
please
youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI
archive.fo/t0Nu5
scribd.com/document/331094334/Majestic-Revolutions-design-doc#from_embed
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Make me a videogame that will make me a whole wallop of money, or you're fired.
NOW!!!!

bee

What an ID

Hey babe, you come here often?

Re-posting my progress:

But bossu I need 1 more doomu mapperu and a music makero.

Bumped the number of frames up to 16. Much smoother.

Most animations in the game use 8 frames of animation, though I plan for creatures to use 4 frames per direction, and so far this door has the most at 16.

Do you simulate hive temperature?
Do you have bees cooling it off?
Do bees communicate found foodsources?
Do you simulate different quality honey based on different flowers?
Do you simulate larva production, and royal jelly production and distribution?
Do your bees die if they sting?

I'm planning on only having bees build hives in the shade, if that counts
Bees are already cool
No
That sounds fun
10 honey = 1 bees
Haven't decided how that'll work. There won't be any combat, so much as the player should avoid almost all danger or hopefully limp back to camp if they get mauled. So I'm not sure how dangerous I want bees to be.

I do, however, simulate cross-pollination where offspring mix attributes with their parents

9/10 would go through door.

re-topology is hard

You could use stingless honeybees. You could additionally include pure pollinator bees like mason or carpenter bees.

That'd be pretty convenient. But it'd also have pretty much no punishment for the player raiding hives for their valuable honey. The only consequence I can think of is that plants have no way to reproduce if the player shoahs all the bees. Not sure that'd be a fun mechanic, though.

Bee hives generate a lot of heat because of all of the bees in there working their asses off, so near the exits there's a sizable portion of workers just flapping their wings to cool the hive. Bees haven't invented water cooling yet.

HOW DO I MAKE A GAME

The Bee charges at The Human!
The Bee stings The Human in the Right Upper Arm, bruising the Fat!
The Bee gives in to pain.
Bee #7452 has been found dead.

holy shit I can't believe this - we've got 6 people and we can't find a damn character designer/modeller

I thought finding the programmers was supposed to be the hard part. We got fucking three

If the player drives bees extinct you clould limit them to wind pollinated and self-polinating crops.
From a resource production standpoint you could use beekeeping and progressively more complex hives to manage and husband their resources.
wild hives → bee gums → top bar → langstroth
For example harvesting from wild hives or gums destroy the colony where as the colony survives harvesting from top bar and langstroth hives.
You could also have remote and rare giant honeybee hives that the player has to use if the drive the nice bees extinct. Sort of a carrot and stick thing.

Finding GOOD programmers is hard. The same is true for artists. The difference is that a bad artist generally realizes he is bad, or you immediately see it. With programmers they usually think they're decent at least, until you are 6 months further with a completely unmaintainable codebase and bugs out of your ass.

Gamefreak in a nutshell

I've made so little programming practice because I keep redoing my shit all the time. I get indecisive about my game and start over a lot, so I try to make my code generic and reusable so I can save some work for the next attempt.

But then I also have a habit of over-documenting things and using bytes and small data structures excessively, even though they couldn't possibly meaningfully impact performance where I am using them

The stars aligned, so I ended up working with a professional programmer with dreams of working on gamedev. We're almost done pushing out a Rust mod right now.

The problem is getting an artist right now. Just a guy who doesn't suck too bad. We're not in need of amazing shit, or crazy creativity.

Just fucking model me a thing from a picture I show you and then modify shit based on my feedback. We're not even just idea guys - we literally have people frothing to begin work, we're just locked down by the lack of an integral part of a gamedev team.

Why the fuck do I gotta be passionate about something so hard to actually do.

"Over documentation" does not exist. Over-optimisation does, as you clearly notice, but it's good for practice which is the stage you're at. But maintainability and proper architecture design are two of the most important skills you will ever learn. As long as your codebases wind up having one important file that everything hinges on and it all comes crashing down you will forever be stuck in that phase of starting over every so often.
Sadly there's not much of a shortcut for learning that, you'll usually learn from your own mistakes.

you the rust guy from the last thread? if so that's not surprising.
organic modeling sucks cock. i could see why someone would have trouble finding people to do it. dealing with muscle topology makes me want to set my pc on fire.

you could always try reddit if you're really fucking desperate
/r/gamedevclassifieds

OPEN NOTEPAD++
WRITE SHIT
COMPILE IT

WRITE THE FUCKING BINARY RIGHT AWAY THEN
DON'T EVEN FUCKING COMPILE

Sure am. I'm trying to take it easy with the realism because it tends to make flaws stick out like a sore thumb.

Picrelated is the aesthetic we're going for. Cartoony mix of the best of what eastern and western styles have to offer. Sorta like Overwatch minus the exaggerated proportions and inflated colors.

I added little stumps to bushes.
Also I increased item gen functionality so that you can generate any random/non-random number of items however specific you wanna define them. So that's cool.

Nice, what kind of game is yours user?

It's an action/adventure RPG. Imagine if you took Morrowind's stat system, Diablo loot system, and housed in all within a classic SNES action RPG, but then removed all combat RNG, added some crafting systems, stealth mechanics, and tried (and failed) to do as much of Stalker's dynamic world stuff as possible.

It's basically an over-scoped nightmare.

Hey user, I saw you talking about funding last thread.
Do u have a patreon?
I'll shoot u a few bucks every month, all I can do, but if enough people see your game I'm sure a lot will do the same.

That sounds pretty fun, like Elona, but without the shitty combat? I can get behind that

How do one get into an old project?

I have a bare bones platform layer (win32) + 2D engine + asset streaming + some basic game logic, that I did 5 years ago. Now I wanted to go back to that project and it was nearly impossible. I do not understand my own code anymore. I code in C#, but use some glsl, for sweet effects. I would hate to abandon this, but I just can't understand what I was doing back then.

TL;DR: Is there a good way to get back in old projects that you have completely forgotten?

Guys im at my wits end.
I cant get the normal maps to look

normal.

I heard somewhere that I needed to triangulate the model first, so I did, but with no difference.

Is it my unwrap that makes it look terrible?

help

Is that dickbutt?

I'm hoping to kickstarter in a couple weeks, so just stick around the threads and I'll probably be shilling, and that's where I'll need it most. You could also follow me at multiverselabyrinth.tumblr.com & twitter.com/mult_labyrinth if you really wanna keep updated on it. I've been saving content to post for hypetrain, and have just been too busy with other stuff.

I haven't played Elona, but I hope the combat is decent in my game. It's what I'm trying my hardest to make fun.

close

Those fingers are not quite UV mapped efficiently, you should try to make them a little more like an actual hand to avoid some problems while texturing.

5 years is not that much
If you start messing with it you will eventually remember

Want an artist? Consider talking to grills

In what way? I wanted to keep the flatter wing shape. Just thicker?

Looks like /agdg/ is cancer now trend following cunts

Is this a game about being a beekeeper? Does he have a name like Zogiin Bal, the Forlorn Keeper

did you smooth the mesh normals?

What's the point of showing us the pure texture? Add some lighting and show us how the normalmap behaves on the model.

wait, this isn't a bee-keeping game, I just wanted to give bees the attention they deserve

In my personal experience, grills are not very open minded when it comes to art. There's also a lot of danger of running into a Tumblr whale, which will result in art being devoid of any and all sexual appeal.

I'm finally done with ranged combat, and I started working on the spell system. I have a working spellbook so far, minus the spell descriptions.

That's because too many people have bought the "There's too many artists in vidya, learn coding instead" meme. What most of these retards spouting this pathetic fucking meme don't know is that being an artist in modern day vidya almost always requires at least some coding skills.
Side note: As an artist trying to learn coding and 3D modelling. It's much harder to work up the spirit to work on learning that shit than learning to draw

okay, anybody here experienced enough with blender to tell me how the fuck I can break "child of" constraint without the mag snapping back to it's rest position?

No, just "together" basically, right now they look like a "spider" instead of a hand.

That's OK I just wanted to give you some food for thought.
What kind of game is it?

Yeah, you are right, but I want to get back to the making, not the analyzing.

Not understanding your own old code cannot be a new problem. I was just asking for an advice to tackle this problem. And I asked it here for the purpose of most of the code being game making related. And I know that some really talented and helpful sunday coders come to this website.

Add comments when you write the code.You don't need to explain line by line, but there should be some indication of what each block does. Self-explanatory code (stuff like "this.add_health()") doesn't need comments

Seeing as I'm working on this again, I should post the progress I've made recently:

Sorry, here it is.

I believe so, just pulling up that side menu and hitting smooth while its selected right?

As far as the UV goes? ok ill try that

It's hard to see what is going on. There are errors on the feet that don't show up on the normal map. Can you render it on a realtime viewport?

Also try increasing the margins and adjusting the ray distance. Or use a cage.

ray distance is at 1 here. I changed it to zero (infinite) and it seemed better. That's what I had before that didn't give me as many problems.

There are very small artifacts here and there from the meshes being too close but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the foot is so jacked up.

What does increasing the margins do. Just bleed space on the UV?

Really? Add #comments*/ is your "hot tip"?
Seriously getting back to old coding projects though: can any of you old fags help here?

Yep, it will make it easier in certain aspects.

Whether explicit or not, conceptions of privacy underpin nearly every argument made about privacy, even the common quip “I’ve got nothing to hide.” As I have sought to demonstrate in this essay, understanding privacy as a luralistic conception reveals that we are often talking past each other when discussing privacy issues. By focusing more specifically on the related problems under the rubric of “privacy,” we can better address each problem rather than ignore or conflate them. The “nothing to hide” argument speaks to some problems, but not to others. It represents a singular and narrow way of conceiving of privacy, and it wins by excluding consideration of the other problems often raised in government surveillance and data mining programs.
When engaged with directly, the “nothing to hide” argument can ensnare, for it forces the debate to focus on its narrow understanding of privacy. But when confronted with the plurality of privacy problems implicated by government
data collection and use beyond surveillance and disclosure, the “nothing to hide” argument, in the end, has nothing to say.

He's probably mad at the vaporwave meme

Hol up smh fam because I've got dank normalfag spongebob and thot memes for days if that triggers you

Is a cage the only way to deal with these little snags?

If adjusting the ray distance is not working you might have to use a cage. Can you post the lowpoly with the wireframe on? And the feet normals looking like that (with the crazy colors) is expected and should be fine as long as it shades fine. If it's not shading fine you have to either add more geometry or set hard edges on your low poly. The seams seem to be the the real problem here. I don't use the blender baker so I don't know what could be causing that. It could be that the option swizzle is different for the baker and the renderer. Check if you set them correctly.

Time to get a cage going I guess

hastebin.com/foyicutame.cs

What's y'alls opinion using unity store assets like the easy code program or easy make set pieces?

It's great if you want to use assets everyone else is using.
If you're going to spend money, why not get something unique?

Both comments, and actual documentation. There is nothing else. There are no hot tips. Past you simply shouldn't have been as much of a lazy fuck.

Most of the clutter there appears to be tags for some kind of automatic documentation generation program. It's a bit obtuse, but expected you to link something much worse to prove me wrong, and in a large codebase you'd be glad this exists everywhere if you have easily readable docs for every file in your project.
My ID changed, same user you replied to.

Yeah, it's using XML docs using a VS template or something. It's supposed to compile into the .dll for automatic documentation, but it doesn't seem to work. Not my concern at the moment, anyways. It's a good way to finalize my code into my engine, though.

One thing I want to do is go through and slip in #DEBUG compiler constants that only happen on debug builds, which include bounds checks and stuff; the optimized code wouldn't have them for speed

Documentation is always good. It is one of the big problems. I over comment everything, but seldom I fall to the trap of just using inaccurate terms, and generalizing the whole routines.
(I actually use notepad++ on windows, and it's great.I use nano to small scripts, on non platforms), and Emacs on project coding. "It just works".

i wouldn't recommend people document like this but only because it would take to much time and effort in terms of using the code base it's fine

I'm a bit offended by that. But who cares. This is an image board. Have a good one, and have a good pdf:
Its about code optimization. It's really good.

Wouldn't this only be valid for a particular compiler? For example, doing such optimizations in C# (rather than C) could even bloat the code and make it slower, since the compiler can heavily optimize things behind the scenes

Just a small chest. Seems whatever enough.

Is that Shovel-chan?

Oh good lord it squashes and jumps like two pixels into the air before bursting
How adorable

i like the effect

Did a few more models today. Some candles for the church, a cart (~4.9k tris), and some trees for mass instancing (~2k tris).

Dont post my waifu.

No that's my model I posted a couple weeks ago.

This is satisfying to watch. Good work lad.

Is that grass being drawn to a quad that is sheared, or is it manually animated?

ty

I believe it technically is drawn to a quad from my limited understanding of how 2D rendering works in most modern frameworks/engines, but it isn't sheared through code. I swap out the sprite. I had to lighten the the cut grass, because on the uncut grass the base is a lot darker and it looked weird.

Compiler is only as good as it can accurately turn java code to "machine code" or "assembly code". Java is a is about the Indonesian island. The best compilers can do this in years, or maybe weeks.

do you have a playable version?

Which style of exit looks better? Blue is for easy mode, red is for hard mode.

I like the little icon myself, but that's not entirely obvious at a glance, is it? The two text ones differ by shading.
I think I could do a little animation where the "exit" slides up and gets replaced by the little stickman if I wanted to

Icon > Text2 > Text1

I'd go with the animation where it displays the Icon most of the time but occasionally flashes "exit"

Icon

Uh, it's currently playable, but not publicly.

Better give us a demo soon then
I will find where you live if you don't

I like it but some of the contents come from behind it, I presume from being z-sorted immediately? Maybe make the valid range for them to burst out be the lower 180°.

Icon is better but all 3 all 2 are hard to make out details in.

Fuck.

i really want to subdivide this model once to get rid of the jagged edge shit, but 32k + whatever the clothing ends up being seems like it's pushing it. subdividing would also help with the clothing process, but it can be done without.
i've read a lot of conflicting information about polycounts. some people say it doesn't matter, while some people say it does.
i'm playing it safe and not subdividing it for now, but if anyone has any information on this i'd appreciate it.

not technically nsfw, but spoilering anyway because i don't want people to get mad.

A big problem is there's no real tutorial, so there's a large burden of knowledge of how a lot of the mechanics work, and progression is scaled pretty weird right now too for testing. Aside from a lot of uncompleted junk.

Why do the hard way if its going to look creepy and uncanny?

Finished my practice animation. The pistol is ripped from Rust.

What should I improve?

if i'm writing code that is mainly meant to be used by other developers rather than end users, what are the best ways to handle incorrect usage?

i don't know if using exceptions would be valid here because the problems that may arise are entirely predictable and would be a result of programmer error, rather than some external error or the end user using the compiled program incorrectly.

It looks like he's trying too hard to rip the mag out, and the mag going in isn't synced with when the hands hit it in.

Before subdividing you may want to get rid of some loops so the bare minimum will allow your model to smooth without too much stuff.

The mag was meant to get stuck on the way in and out - since I was practicing I needed a way to make my life harder with it. The pistol model looks salvaged, so I thought I'd go ahead and reflect the banged up feel with the reload.

I fail to see the mag not being synced, mind pointing it exactly?

you keep the polycount low to make it easier to uv, rig and make changes. If you need more geometry you should cut more edge loops manually. But I think the topology is probably fine and I don't really see any jaggies in the sillouette. The only thing I think you need to do is space apart the edge loops more evenly. Check this out:
cgworld.jp/feature/201704-cgw225-nier-2.html

What's the best way to get started with doing Animation? I'd like to mess around a little with this sort of thing. I know this sounds kind of basic.

what is a cage?

There, added some animation to the exit signs.

It has default, dark, and two flicker/bugging out effects for each symbol. Additionally, there is a 6-frame animation for each symbol where it enters or leaves from the top or bottom.

Specifically 3d animation, though that may have been evident.

Find a tutorial on Blender animation on YouTube, and the read Animator's Survival Kit. Basic principles of animation remain unchanged between 2D and 3D.

And then prepare to hurt. Super fucking bad. Blender is a bitch to learn.

I've tried blender before, though more on the modeling side. Would you say Maya/Max are easier/more powerful?

There are, of course, methods for getting these softwares, particularly if I'm not using them for commercial purposes.

Unless you're doing crazy high end AAA shit - Blender will suffice.

Are you creating all your resources from scratch, or ripping them from open sources?

I make joke

Why would you do this?
You lost time doing this thing, you could have made an asset instead.

taking breaks is important.

I needed a side-by-side to see how it's coming along.
My palette is way too bright and washed out.

Send Help

A cage is a second mesh that is identical to the low poly mesh that is on the opposite side of the high poly mesh that you're trying to bake.

Instead of a ray being traced out into space for a random distance a quad or tri sends out a ray to its sister quad or tri

It gives better results for corners but not for straight forward details

Having fun minigames within games is a lost art form user.

At last i managed to make it easily moddable, all items are entries in a txt, with name/description on a second file for easier translation, and icons are tiny (minimum size 24x24, but it takes bigger sizes) so anyone can make more.

Oh yeah, one other thing. The game I'm copying has a maximum level size of 128x128. Assuming every tile has one byte of data, that should be 16,384 bytes, or 16 kb in size. There are a total of 240 editor objects (but more or fewer ingame, since some are floors with no behavior, and other objects like explosions can't be placed, so I assume a maximum of 255 floors and 255 object types)

After creating a level of that size, I found that the filesize was actually 2 kb. How can they compress it to 8 times smaller?

Ah, I think I might know, or have a better idea.

Having a blank level made it take 329 bytes or so. Adding a rock bumped it up to 333 bytes. Moving the rock to the bottom corner cost 1022 bytes. Replacing the blank space had no cost. However, adding more object types did.

So what I think is happening is that it maintains some kind of list of object types and maps them to the editor as they are used, sort of like an "object palette" instead of a color palette.

Some kind of compression is definitely used, though.

Looks great
Those webbums need sound though
Any mappacks you would recommend to go with the mod?

This is also kind of weird. There's a field for level name and author, which has a maximum of 30 characters each. The difference between a level with no data and 30 characters in both fields is not 60 bytes as expected, but just 27.

In the past week I've spent more time making memes than working on my game.

Enginefag here. I moved all my SDL code into containers. I'm trying to get my project to compile in Linux at the moment but both clang and g++ are being cunts.

Could work like the old Mario games did. Rather than store levels as tile maps, they were stored as a list of commands. A region of ground might be [FILL_GROUND][X][Y][WIDTH][HEIGHT], a ? block might be [MUSHROOM_BLOCK][X][Y], etc.
Or maybe it's way more boring than you think and they're using a standard LZ compression algorithm on the level data.
Either way, it shouldn't be important to your clone. You can afford to waste some kilobytes storing map data in the simplest way possible.

Yeah, I know I know, it just seems kind of weird to me.

For my implementation, I'll have a hard technical maximum of 255x255, but probably limit it to something comfy like 64x64. Either way, one tile is one byte. What will happen is that say, an object in the editor might be #240, but when the level loads to be played, it could place a tile #10 and object #108 on that spot, so the editor bytes would be sort of a map/alias to game objects

So, i've been thinking about making a multiplayer shooter. So far i plan to make it somewhere along the lines of tf2/css mechanics, however instead of special equipment i want to implement magic. For example instead of grenades you would cast a fireblast, or cast poisongas instead of a smoke grenade, or slowdown/freeze your enemy for a short time with a frostbolt, or heal yourself, basically similar to the magicstyle of dark messiah. Of course there will be a cooldown for magic so you can't spam it and only use it as special effect every 20-30sec. Would you play something like that?

no because you wouldn't move fast in a fun way like quake

Sorry it's been awhile mates, I'm back.

So basically Overwatch/Paladins?

well one of those webms have sound at least. As for maps, Brotherhood of ruin seems to be a popular choice among a lot of people. Scythe 1 and 2 are also solid choices.

oh no, what have you done

What do you guys think about educational games? Or games that actually teach you about/how to do things? Are they ever actually fun?

Spoopy

How am I supposed to learn to into gamedev when I can't focus on anything for more than 15 minutes

Odds are that you can, you just haven't learned how. The discipline to focus is a muscle, and I say that as someone who's avoiding doing work right now.

Yeah they can be fun. What kinds of think are they thinking about teaching using your game?

Hurt yourself every time the thought of abandoning what you're doing comes to mind.

Physical trauma leaves a mark and people might intervene.

Instead try emotional pain like "oh god my mother will be so sad I've failed at yet anlther aspect of my life, dad was right"

It's a little late for that user

sure does remind me of someone, if only I could put my finger on who

I now feel a bit more fine.

How do you even get started with vidya game development? Should I just start learning a programming language? What would be the recommended one to start with?

holy shit where did all the artists go the second I started looking for them? I've put out ads, personally searched for them on forums, how the… what the fuck?

not that I can speak from experience, but I'd say rather than a language, learn how to code in general
the language still follow the general rules

Using an engine is a good way to learn logic and get immediate feedback

It's more fun to learn how to program while making something, because that way you have a motivation and clear objectives. So with that said, pick a game engine and start making video games, reading tutorials and shit. I recommend the simpler engines, such as Game Maker or Byond (although Byond is a programming travesty, it is fairly easy to make games/multiplayer games with it).

artstation.com/

Most importantly, start small! Make a snake clone. I don't think most people in these threads will finish their FPPs and such.

Any language that you're comfortable with is fine. Don't force yourself to use something that brings you down.

make it fast and it will be fun

What are the current best 2D and 3D game engines, or games to mod for? I'm a programmer, been out of the loop for years. Also how do you guys source game assets like levels/sprites/sounds/music etc for rapid prototyping?

I'm a GM noob, so I can't really comment on engines, but Open Game Art is great for assets.

Minecraft and doom

Linking to a question I had that no one's answered because the board is fucking dead.
>>>/agdg/29184

I have a special development philosophy that i call DWYWDBADS
Do Whatever You Want to Do, But Actually Do Something
Consists of the following:

This is the most flexible way possible to make progress no matter what, if you get stuck, write a note in the lists and comment the code with a special tag to find and return later, then do something else, same with assets, have all your assets as black squares with "PLACEHOLDER" written on them, and little by little replace them with actual assets.

If you are doing your game by yourself and there are no deadlines there is no reason to force yourself to do "what seem right to do now", do ANYTHING, but actually do it.

Okay, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks, user.

Is there anything lighter than a UObject in Unreal that supports similar features? All I want is to be able to save a chunk of code with some variables that executes (either on spawn or per tick) as a reference. You can't save UStructs as references, though perhaps I could create a UStruct with constructor arguments to do stuff, but again UStructs can also not be saved as a class, it is considerably less handy than just making a BP class out of it and setting everything in there.

The idea is for them to work as buffs/debuffs, e.g. I'd spawn a "FireDoT" UObject class with intensity, duration, target, etc variables that would then apply said damage over time to the target, then delete itself when the time runs out. However, this can lead to quite a few UObjects being spawned often so I'm wondering if there's a less intensive way. Perhaps UObjects are so fast that I'm worrying over nothing.

Forgot to say it's all in UE4. Though the UObject and UStruct probably give that away.

Not everything in Unreal has to be Unreal's systems. I made a basic A* system for a project that got canned, which was entirely basic C++ code plus one UObject to act as an interface. The only downside of this is that you can't change stuff about it in the editor, but it is generally faster.
In your case you could have an array of some Buff struct in the class of entities that can have (de)buffs applied to them, add a looping timer that periodically loops over the array and executes code based on what's in them.
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/Engine/FTimerManager/SetTimer/6/index.html

Spawning a lot of them causes slowdown, but that's entirely dependent on how many entities you'll have an apply (de)buffs to at any time. You'd need more optimisation in a musou game than you'd need in an RPG with a maximum of 4 enemies in an encounter. Think about if you need speed here, and optimise accordingly.

I'm working on a grid-based tactical RPG and have recently incorporated hazards into the battlefield. I'm trying to update my pathfinding AI to account for the hazards. The AI uses a variant of Djikstra's Algorithm (chosen over A* because it is also trying to find all desirable places to move to and choose between them).

The end result I want is for the AI to find the shortest path to a point while going through hazards and while avoiding them, compare the two routes, and decide between the two based on the overall distance required.

Would it be possible to generate both paths in a single Djikstra loop or would I have to run two to generate both paths? All of my experimenting so far has resulted in Unity crashing.

I know I could just weight hazardous tiles higher so that the AI is less likely to choose to walk on them, but I feel I'd get better results basing it on the length of the overall path rather than just selectively weighting the hazard tiles.

Yeah that was my reason for looking mainly at UE4's stuff. I'll take a look at an array of structs thanks, should be pretty doable and probably a few orders of magnitude faster than UObjects.

I did however try spawning 100 UObjects (more complicated ones that I would be spawning as buffs) per tick, and according to the frontend that only takes 0.4ms (on a stock i5 2500k). While those UObjects weren't running any code or anything, that is also way way more than I'd ever spawn (don't really see the player fighting more than 4-8 enemies, at worst you'll have 1-2 relatively lightweight UObjects spawning per tick). Gonna try doing it in a faster way but seems spawning UObjects is still very much doable (probably without anyone ever noticing a difference when playing).

Been years since I gave Unity a try, so thought might be fun to give it a whirl for a small project and watched some of their videos. What's with their fetish for using raycasts everywhere? They have one example that's a simple 2D "roguelike" with grid-based movement and instead of simply keeping track of what occupies the grid in a 2D array and checking if that tile is free they disable the caster's collision shape, fire a raycast then re-enable it.

The faster you learn that literally every unity tutorial is a cash-grab piece of shit (they also hate you) the less disappointment you'll experience

The slide needs to slam all the way back the frame immediately after he shoots. The hands holding it also need to do the same, jerk as far back as you're going to pull them back in the frame immediately following the shot. As it is, both things take two or more frames to occur, and his hands seem to smoothly pull backwards and move back into position at the same speed. This gives the impression of a very, very weak recoil, like he's firing an airgun or popgun.

Second, the way he puts the mag in is awkward. With an actual pistol you slide the mag in most of the way and only then do a mag tap to make sure it locks in place, you don't do it with the mag hanging 80% out of the gun like in your animation. Some people mag tap only when the mag is all the way in already just to make sure it's locked in. It's also not smooth when he does this, making for a very jerky animation.

The second shot has the same issues the first one does.

As other user said, it seems like he's trying too hard to pull the mag out, and that's also not how guns work. Mags are designed to drop out when you hit the release so if you're in combat you can release while simultaneously pulling a mag up from your gear to replace it as quickly as possible. You would either need to show the mag sliding out and dropping on its own or your guy holds it/catches it as it does so.

And finally there's something off about his pulling back on the slide after he reloads it. He should yank it backwards and the slide should snap to its resting position immediately after he releases it. As it is, it looks like he pulls it back for two or three frames, and then it takes another two or three frames to move back. Again, this gives the impression of it not moving quickly and not having much spring power behind it.

READ. Don't watch video tutorials. They're for millennial retards who want to waste time feeling like they're doing something.

99% of content is in video form
really, anything besides catlikecoding is going to be dogshit

You're looking in the wrong places then.

Coding is a text-based medium, videos are an intrinsically poor format for communicating text-based ideas. They're a waste of time

I'm not looking in the wrong place, you fucking retard. It's a fact that most content exists in video form. Me looking somewhere else doesn't change it.

Thanks to that guy who helped me
I figured it out. It just took a cage.

What's a good engine to make a FTL like game?

Most content, does not in fact exist in video form you abject cretin. The fact that you typed "HOW MAK GAEM" and the first page of results was youtube trash is irrelevant. If you actually learn to fucking code and start looking into specific concepts you'll find a lot more, specifically text-based, information out there. Jesus fucking christ.

We're talking about tutorials specific to unity here. Most of them are video. All your whining in the world isn't going to change that.

Oh, no. It's retarded.

Yes, there are a lot of trash unity video tutorials. However it is not "most content". The key is to have a solid understanding of your tools and researching specific concepts not general "how do fps" or "maek minecraft clone".

Of course you're going to get trash video tutorials because that's what people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing look for.

Just write it in C with SDL fam, like they did.

This is false.

Thank you, this is really good feedback.

It's intentional. I wanted the mag to get stuck because the model is a jury-rigged pistol made of junk. Hence the ripping out of the mag and slamming it in.

any of them
FTL is not a very demanding game in any aspect

What about how FTL is demanding in your management of luck mitigation, which takes more skill than a game without luck?

Is GameMaker okay?

I don't know what you are talking about but i was talking about game development/engine wise.
Like you could make with an FTL clone renpy or something stupid like that

yes

im making a battle city kind of game. what would be the best approach for pathfinding for the enemy tanks?

Hey that looks kind of fun
Is it tile-based movement, or free movement? Either way, some kind of A* would probably be more than enough

Depends on what engine you're using, but GM:S has a grid movement system that you can try to apply/modify.
That was my first thought, frankly, since I used something similar a while back.
Embed related.

it is free movement, but you can't move in two directions at once(so you can't move diagonally) what's A*

theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/index.html

redblobgames.com/

thank you, babe

also, if anyone has experience with godot I'd appreciate a hand with these two issues. I tried to use a YSort node to handle overlapping textures but it's not working, I don't know if i might be fucking something up, pictures related

the second issue should be easier, I made it so when I shoot I get_global_pos() my tank, but the output is the same after I move(using .move()), I don't know if I'm tackling this the wrong way, I also tried get_parent().get_node("tank").get_pos() as I understand that should give me the position relative to the parent node, which would be fine too, but output remains the same as I move

>can make simple programs in python
Feels good, learning shit. Gonna jump into learning godot soon and make some gayms.

What are you learning, specifically?

German who pretends he plays Dwarf Fortress detected

ok, if i manually move the tank in the ditor it eventually overlaps the base, but it doesn't happen ingame, I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work or if im fucking something up

The utmost basics. Functions, Classes, shit like that.
I was trying to learn how to make some basic platformer shit in GODOT but I felt that learning an actual programming language picked python because it's closest to Godot's GDscript. and the basic principles were a better way to go about things.

What's a good gaming library like SDL and SFML? I'm out of loop and I have issues setting them up on the latest version of codeblocks.

I haven't seen you post in a while. I'm glad to see you're still working

SFML is fine

It's not bad if I re-watch coding tutorials to make sure I really understand the information, r-right? I just wanna make sure I learn everything right so when I jump into Unity there's no "Ahh fuck, I don't know how to properly do X" moments

It's not ok if you're watching tutorials instead of making a game. If you're doing both than it's ok.

Better to do than to watch.
Though I'm a tactile learner, so that's where I accel in learning the material, but you may be a visual learner so w/e works best for you (depends on what part of the brain you've become more specialized in, it differs from person to person).

I want to make sure I have a good understanding of the basics before I jump into game dev work. As it stands I don't fully comprehend loops, switch statements and arrays, and since a lot of vidya code involves loops, switch statements and arrays, I think it's important to learn.

personally, when I was beginning what helped me the most was to run through mini-scenarios on paper.
So I would fully work out a simple coding problem with pseudo-algorithms, and then put that aside to implement it from memory into code (of course, using docs for the actual code implementation, but the algorithm itself was from my memorized pseudo-code).
As this method reinforced the use of logic with pseudo algorithms, and then typing it all out helps to reinforce the actual language's syntax.

The best way to learn is to practice.

Also, if you really wanna be a GOOD programmer, we have a board for this:
>>>/prog/

So you're recommending to do that one game dev exercise of making a sort of logic flowchart? Where you think about what you want to do and how you would process that logically and use that to build your code for it? That's what I was thinking about doing

I don't want/need to be some kind of self-taught expert I'll just make my prototype to attract actually good programmers to my project and then learn from their code

If you're learning from their code, how do you know it's good?

That's generally called a UML diagram, they're sorta nice, but I find they're only necessary if you're working with others (as otherwise visualization works way better for me).
Pseudo-algorithm as in to write out an algorithm in as simple as way possible; while still retaining the logic.
Here's what I mean:
unf.edu/~broggio/cop2221/2221pseu.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocode

I like to shill VioletUML for this. It's free and probably good enough for most anons here

I am a drawfag by trade so yes, visual representations work better for me.

I don't know too much about code. But I've stalked these threads long enough to have an idea of what good looks like. Does it have a lot of redundancies(IE: a chain of 30 else/if statements, multiple variables even though the algorithm only needs one)? Is there code that seems like it could be handled in fewer lines by introducing a new variable? etc.

I'll check this out

I am making some wigs to sell in a few virtual stores (I hope) so I can keep working on my own figures and stuff, so far this one looks OK, but I can't decided how the bangs should go, any suggestions?

Should I pirate Game Maker 2? Or is the free one good enough?

Just pirate it.

Just finished my color palette, rate

Is 2 meaningfully different from 1.4? How worried should I be about porting a 1.4 project to it?

If you are already moving the tank globally you could update the 2d node position as that of the tank

No idea, when it comes to paid software I just prefer to pirate to have no limitations, if I am able to afford them later and they prove useful then I buy a license.

you're not working on a cave story project, are you?

A zillion hours of work and I think I finally got the face down to not look like an uncanny valley nightmare.

Might try and adjust the eyebrows later, I think making them using textures + an alpha map will be a good idea

This reminds me of that oblivion comic where the guy is making a waifu in the character creator and then he from the side it's horribly misshapen.

Her mouth and nose are facing downwards.

Sena's a nigger! SHE'S A NIGGER!

/r/ the comic of it.

Making some kind of anime crossover game, user?

Small adjustment, the "muzzle" needs to be raised up a little if you want anime face.

Got some Ashi syndrome. Looks good in the front, bad at the side. You working with references? Have a good grasp on anatomy before stylization?

Thanks for the advice, I've never really drawn or modeled cutesy anime stuff before so this is totally uncharted territory for me. Most of the stuff I usually do is just making machinery or gnarled, ugly fucks like pics related.

So far I've mostly just been trying to base the mesh off of pictures of Sena and of 3D models of anime characters from Sketchfab. It's sort of funny, anime is kind of an easy, low effort style when drawn, but with 3D it's like you have to pull of some real technical trickery to get it to look right.

Nah, I'm making a game where you fuck her and get her pregnant.

I need help with my waist silhouette. It looks fine from other angles but when viewed straight it looks strange. Something just feels off with the hips like if its too smooth or something and its kind of hard to find prepubescent (age bout 12 years old) girl topology references without landing in jail. What do?

you can always check >>>/loli/ for references, just saiyan

WAIT! how do you sculpt like that in MH? I can't even do an anime approximation.

MH?

MakeHuman, that looks like said program's UI

I was using my stash of loli shit but it was kind of hard to find a straight standing nude loli (ironically). I actually thought of some Marie Rose model pictures I could use.

No nigga it's blender.

oh shit.

Enginefag here, after 5 hours and 3 reinstalls of Ubuntu I managed to get my dumb shit to compile on Linux. Why were the linking errors not occurring on macOS? I dunno.

Titties were too high up and rib cage was too small was the problem.

What did you do that you needed to reinstall 3x times?

Need help?

Who is she?

also the widest point on the upper thighs sit in line with the pucci

erect

I usually think about how silly it would be it I ended up dying before finishing my game.

Oh that helped thanks. Is this better? First frame is old.

But user, Marie Rose is 18 :^)

I'm using std::experimental::filesystem, and I was getting linking errors related to that. So I thought that I needed to update clang/libc++ to unstable versions. I don't remember exactly what I did but I ended up pulling a majority of the packages to unstable. That repeated another two times, lol.

Got keyboard input working.

I do read the documentation but I wanted the videos to show me where shit is in the UI.

Anybody know if a GDD was ever leaked for any major AAA title? I need to learn how to write an effective ideaguy document for my team.

You're gonna make it, user!

There's a few pages from deus ex here:
please use archive.is/articles/2013-01-04-the-deleted-scenes-of-deus-ex
Warren Spector did a postmortem at GDC:
youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI

archive.fo/t0Nu5

Oh wait here's the whole thing:
scribd.com/document/331094334/Majestic-Revolutions-design-doc#from_embed

the problem is, the position is seemingly not getting updated. I *could* use set_pos() but that'd teleport the tank, and good bye to collisions

So this is the plan:

How stupid is this?
Also, how hipster pixelshit do these look (if you disregard the olive BG color which is just for export purposes)?
Also also, is there anywhere I could get inspiration for some simple puzzle mechanics? Could I just go and rip off something at worst case?

I love you. You're beautiful.

contains the base combat stance.
These here will be sprinkled in randomly as part of the idle animation, fot some extra dance effect. Think Mario & Luigi combat stances.

Hey guys - I just wanted to post this here to show you that the corpses of the giants will fertilize your growth if you make a proper game in this day and age.

Keep working on your stuff.

Not pixelshit at all. I especially like the big guy's animations.

Really hope I remember this accurately.

I think you probably know this, but just in case, I'll remind you that if you really wanna adhere to NES color limitations, there's a lot more to keep in mind.
For one, there can only be 16 colors on screen at once. 4 palettes, consisting of 4 colors. However, one of those colors in each palette is shared amongst all of them - the background color, most often black, but, for example, SMB's 1-1, it'd be light blue.
One object can really have one palette - 3 colors. The fourth is basically transparency used in clever ways. Remember how Bowser's bracelets looked pretty cool? Well yeah, this is how they look when he is placed in front of a background that isn't black.
You could do the same - make the battle background black, ala Final Fantasy, and then your sprites wouldn't break any limitations, aside from perhaps the amount of frames would not fit in a single rom bank without a level transition.
That, and the sprites don't seem to adhere to a grid of any kind. NES typically worked on 16x16, though they could do 8x8 with special mappers.
Just paused on a random frame. Look especially at the last girl. Horizontally 17 pixels - that would be a waste of a tile for one pixel.

Oh, and I don't mind the style, it's pretty cute, but it pisses me off how there's outlines all around them except the very bottom.

Not him, but its actually normal that they is no outline on the bottom. if they was, their outline would be clipping through floor tiles!

I want it, I waaaaaaant it.
pls

Hey, I remember you. I don't think I care much for the game idea but your stuff looks great as usual.

I love the animations, but i don't see why limiting yourself to this palette would be a good thing at all
"Retro style" is so fucking overdone

Thanks.
Honestly I'm not aiming to do this as a way of emulating NES limitations and shit - the number of individual frames alone would be ludicrous and impossible to keep in the system's memory. The 4-color thing has more to do with trying to be super-minimal in my approach, as a personal limitation. E.g. "Can I picture a german shepherd doing a backflip with few colors, few pixels, but a shitton of frames of animation?".

is right, we're actually looking at 5 colors here. And regarding the white outline, no matter the final design the guys will stand on a white floor, even if it's just one pixel of it. That should hopefully round off the outline.

Thanks. I haven't been posting here for months because I'm an artiste shithead who can't get his act together.

The same is mine. I had the last 2 weeks off and didn't do anything with my time.

They're doing better than ever, what are you talking about?

It's worse because I want to make the best of these few fucking years I have left on this globe and would like to learn simple 3D, basically my ideal level would be to be able to do Ghost Trick animations (low poly, noshade, basically not dynamic at all, fixed perspective).

So instead of only being pestered by the stuff I theoretically CAN do, there's also the things I SHOULD be doing that are fucking me up. But that seems to be a typical thing, so eh.

Oh yeah, and also, MoM user, yadda yadda, we all know the drill by now!

Oh yes, speaking of MoM; I actually decided to actually start IMPLEMENTING some of the suggestions anons have suggested awhile ago. Like almost a year ago. For example, the Golems are no longer yellow, but dirt brown. I also changed the hawkmans portrait (with the help of my artist friend!) to have it so he doesn't look so smug anymore, to reflect on his personality correctly. Old news of course, we changed all the portraits to have them pixelated now and not just scaled down versions of the painted images he did.

Oh yes, and another thing I tweaked which hasnt been shown in the vids is the imps idle animation; his guns are not over his shoulder anymore, since people seem to find it too gay. was they any other suggestions anons suggested that I may of missed?

Yeah, hang yourself, you hardgay Hexen/Strife ripping furfaggot.

normalfags are waking up, believe it or not. Reddit's been shitting on Rockstar and Beth all week.

10/10

t. burger pro

Here's a dodge roll with juicy placeholder graphics. I'm really not looking forward to sorting all my code out.

Do you need to learn 3D to reach your goal? You can just set yourself one and reach it by making 2D stuff, which you're already plenty proficient at.

AAA is dying user. Indie studios are rising to the point where some of them are making games that have graphics and production value similar to AAA. The next 5 years will be the best possible time to get your game out there. Keep working, everyone.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit, I remember bitching about your silhouettes. Happy to see this!

Well 2D is only going to get me so far, honestly I would LIKE to be able to do simple 3D. Not like make my own uncharted 4, but maybe round off my 2D shit. It's pretty sweet to be able to knock together a rotating geometric shape in 3D and use that as a base for a 2D sprite.
(Not pictured here, but I guess you can imagine the rest.)

That currently looks like something out of the original Alone in the Dark, which is pretty neat!

Thanks.
Pic attached is the absolute maximum I want to attain in terms of detail, though rigging and especially the dopesheet stuff is an absolute nightmare judging from the one tutorial I've done so far.

This is the moment we've waited for. It's not too late to save video games.

Oh yeah, actually, you may like some models I am doing for a future game jam thing. You mentioned you wanted to make a 3D models where its got no shading, with textured on shadows?

The game jam thing is focused around the awful sega Saturn game "Wild Woody". While the event has not officially been started yet, I started work on the models at night time when I am too tired to work on MoM. I thought you would like to see them!

delete dis, I bed yu abe dab one guy who set my favobide burger kang into fibe last nide :—-DDDD

Looking good, the glitchy outline reminds me of Jet Set Radio and Paper Mario, in a good way. Pirate guy also has the perfect level of detail.

They showed off like 3 new games and their show was obnoxious. Not really making a good case for indies.
Besides, the whole point of being indie is that you don't need to rely on a publisher. It's easier than ever to get your game out there on your own.

Yeah, I remember that too. I hope I've learned a few things since then.

I can see basic 3D being useful for sure, but you're skillful enough that you probably don't need it.

Its funny you mention JSR, since that's the style I am going for. The goal I set myself is to recreate a "Sequal" if it debuted on the Dream cast, after the Saturn.

Devolver only showed one game and had comedy, you might be thinking about the 12 hours stream afterwards that was by Twitch and Adult Swim.

Can't judge that, though your gif looks ace, graphics and movement and all though I'm in literal physical pain just imagining having to do a combat roll on sand

Wow, I guess they did. I looked up a list of games they announced but I guess only one of them was actually new.
I didn't bother watching the stream afterwards after their "comedy" show was already that unfunny and embarrassing.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I really just gotta hunker down and add more shit to make it an actual game. I got a decent to-do list written down, don't know what's stopping me.

Try a combat roll on sand with your skin burnt off.

Shutting down AM2R after years of ignoring it and then immediately announcing another remake is disgusting.

Given that it's been 1-2 months between the takedown and the E3 vid, and the game is supposed to be out in like August, it's safe to say that the remake had been in development already.

AM2R had various demos released earlier than that.

ok so i figured the problem with ysort, it only sorts its children, not the children of children

That's how you get money, user. If you really wanted to respect your players you should only use free software.

Fuck my inability to stick to things without taking breaks to do other things. Does anyone else have this issue? I think I keep doing this because I keep having a good idea for a story/setting/characters and autistically need to do something about.

* it

It's why being a one man team is so great.
I mainly do story/conversation tree stuff now, since I can't do much without that, but I'll occasionally get so sick of it that I'll go write a song, or instead just take a brief break and do something else IRL, make cinnamon rolls or something.

There are a number of games which just wholesale steal the Mega Man formula in some bastardized form with little to no modification or shame. The ones who have gotten closest to accomplishing anything with it are probably 20XX, which is basically "What if Mega Man X was a rougelike," and Mighty No.9, which needs no introduction. It seems like everything recently released in the genre is a cynical cash-ins on the nostalgia for the genre, without even bothering to really examine what made it great in the first place. Is actual expansion on the core idea a dead end?

What's that image from?

I've worked on three games simultaneously before. It's a great way to feel like you're making even less progress than you do normally.

from Holla Forums fuck if I know

Fly is WAY too easy, also makes level design a nightmare
Change it to Gliding, this way it also stacks with high jump, otherwise high jump becomes obsolete.

I solved the problem by having a game with huge scope, with minigames, so when im bored of doing one part of it i can do another and im still deving the same game in the end

try an orange-er color for shading her skin and saving pink for blush/lips
Her neck is just too far back at an odd angle, everything else seems fine to me

How would one determine proper sprite sizes for a 2D game in 800 by 600 resolution? Do I just draw them as large as possible, later resizing them in my API? Or do I just copy the same resolution from other games that have that genre?

They are already many ways to cheese platforming which I already taken into Account, including sequence breaking if you know what you are doing (which I also don't mind; any serious examples of sequence breaking is taken out while the fun examples are left in). So its not much of a nightmare for when it comes to mapping.

Much like Morrowwind, High Jump has its benefits over flying, such as being faster and better for more evasive movement. You can actually high jump without the high jump skill due to the agility stat (The Agility Stat is much like the leg stat in E.YE; it effects your running speed and jump height). Its more so used if you have low agility, OR if you want to jump over a castle. Its not made obsolete by fly, however.

Flying is less fun than jumping+gliding, fun should be the most important factor

The issue is that I have made something that is technically impressive for RPGmaker but probably won't revisit it which will now make me feel guilty. I also already feel guilty for wasting this much time.

Or, rather, made a framework for something technically above average.

so im prone sudden bouts of hysterical depression that stretch out into several days of male PMS

anyone got any advice as to how to snap out of this shit? i took naps and drank coffee and shit. watched movies and played vidya.

i still feel like i'm at a gunpoint - i gotta pump out 100~ pages of gdd within next week but i can't do it if a single typo or a thought that my formatting looks shitty makes me want to fuck shit up

Dunno about you mate, but gamedev is the only thing that distracts me FROM suicidal thoughts.

Honestly, you're tense as hell (no shit, I know), and it would help to relax a bit. A bath/shower, a midnight walk, some good vidya music, that might help.

Everything except solving the actual reason why you're depressed will only distract you for a short time.

go lift or take a walk for a while

anyone here has implemented pathfinding in godot? just generating the edges for my nodes hangs the game for a second(and the possible paths change during the game as blocks get destroyed) there must be a less retarded way to implement this

Anyone ever thought about making a good sims clone?

I don't know why my webmcam is messing this up

You can still precompute the edges and just update 8 of them whenever a block is destroyed. That should be good enough for basic A* or A* with JPS. Or are you tyring to implement DHPA* or something?

Never even crossed my mind, but it sounds interesting now that you mention it.

I still haven't thought of the algorithm, the problem would be how to "target" the edges to update instead of updating everything

to determine the weight i was trying to use a raycaster to know what's in a given point, for testing purposes i placed it in the same place as my tank, but the output is null
var check_node = RayCast2D.new() func _ready(): add_child(check_node) set_process(true)func _process(delta): print(check_node.get_global_pos()) I don't know what I'm fucking up

whoops, this is some code i used later to test other things. but what's relevant is print(check_node.get_collider()) as the last line

steam greenlit is finally getting removed. Now anyone can submit a game via 'steam direct', but it comes with a $1000 fee

I though it was a 100$ fee(that you got back when the game made 1000$)

I'm making a thing like ZZT and MegaZeux (two old DOS "game creation" games). It adds multiplayer and unicode support. It's pretty much all working, but it's rough around the edges and I need people to make content with it in order to help me iron out the issues with the engine. Webm related is a quick demo of the basic offline editing tools. Soon: a video of the multiplayer mode

Levitation is the best method for a slow spell.

Your options are to reduce attributes, either by damage or drain or absorb, which are all expensive, or burden, which is very unreliable at best. Otherwise, you just cast Levitate on other for magnitude 1, huge duration (since the magnitude is so low), and suddenly all they can do is move very slowly

see

That's pretty fucking spicy, user
Makes me lose hope in my own project 10/10

I made a bit of progress. I've been spending a lot of time just learning tools, the past few days were just reading up on light mapping, shadows and lighting, light mapping is a bit of a pain on an old computer.

Made this hime cut, how does it look? I still have to subdivide all segments, do you think it needs more stuff around?

Even if I don't particularly like DOS games, this is really fucking neato.
Good job

Good, I'm glad greenlight has been removed.
The new system looks far superior too, and obviously steam is self-aware of the issues greenlight had.
That is, the point that greenlight was easily exploitable.

Now it's a default $100 fee PER entry, but, this is recouped if you get $1000 or more in sales.
So it's rewarding the devs who do this for the long-haul, and not the meme-devs who release a dozen or more thrown together games from premade assets.

yet gog somehow manages to screen their games for free

To play devil's advocate, I would imagine the fee on Steam is twofold:

a.) Profit, self explanatory
b.) Steam is probably the biggest game distributor on PC (if not content in general), both in terms of userbase size and amount of throughput per user. Because of this, you get a lot of shovelware, so this helps act as a modest filter to keep the worst games off the platform

yup

Said modest shovelware filter will likely result in a cascading effect. As in, shovelware devs switching to said "free" platforms.

Cool shit, user. What's the song name?

Eyelids

You use blendshapes for that or something else?

How does this look?

Keys and a basis. That's just in blender for now.

A little better, I would raise the mouth corners a little but is way better than the muzzle it had before… now, can someone r8 my wig before I subdivide?

Not so sure if this is a better system. Every cuck can pay 100 buckeros. Would have been better to pay 100 only to get on steam greenlight, where people still need to vote before it gets into the store. Or do people still vote in steam direct?

Honestly, in my opinion steam should do this for filtering:
1. Pay 500 bucks to get on steam greenlight
2. Need 3000 people to vote "yes i would buy that game" before it gets through
3. Then kick off every indie game that doesn't make at least 100$ a month. Free games should fuck off generally, they don't need steam as a selling proxy, people could just upload their free shit on megaupload or something and don't waste store space and users time for no reason
4. Split the fucking shop into indie store and non-indie store, so you have another quality filter on top.

I've gone ahead and pushed and pulled for you what I think looks much better. Make the skull less wide and your nose and mouth silhouette flatter. Also your jaw is xbox hueg.

Looks good, maybe inflate the upper lip a little and that's it.

i think the mouth and nose may be too far down, but i'm shit with anime proportions, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.

gonna be modelling these now

Looks nice.

Does this look like a proper explosion progression? It was 8 frames, but I'm making it 16 instead.

Seriously? nobody can give me some advice about the wig?

Left or right?

Left has the hole originate on the center of the bright spot, while the right has it on the center of the sprite

What's the order?

Top left, move down, then top right, move down.
I got a better one worked out

oh… hole at the center looks better.

This one looks best, and hole at the center looks stupid.

Here it is in action…

The left one has 16 frames played at 30 fps, and the right one has 10 frames also played at 30 fps.

Left.

definitely the left one, explosions start fast but settle down slower

I agree. Left is the better one.

Thank fucking god, I can keep it to 16 frames and not break up my pattern on the sprite sheet. Thanks.

Making progress.
Hard surfaces are a doozy, I figured out that taking the edges you want to make sharp and beveling them (with 2 bevel steps to minimize artifacts) gives really good results, but its really cumbersome if you change your mind about an edge later on.
Also I don't know how guns work.

also the shotgun looks like a cartoon dog from behind

That could work as a logo of some kind, like the gun manufacturer

You need to look up on Borderlands 2 weapons they have excellent design and hired a very decent modeller for doing this task. :^)

Thank God they're not stupid enough to implement a plan even remotely similar to yours.

well then at least give the hives a cool design

If you don't explain your opinion, or at least name a better system, you might as well have not replied at all.

I did explain my opinion: I'm happy that those in charge of Steam aren't stupid enough to consider a plan similar to the one you've outlined.

Here's my opinion: you're retarded, get out.

I wonder (((who))) could be behind this post.

What if bees wore burkas

There's lots of places to post free games for free. Why do they need to post them on a paid platform?

lolno.

also, I am out of ideas, I'd like to know if anyone here working with godot implemented pathfinding, I want to know how they assigned the weights to the differented edgesim trying to use a raycasted node to get a list of objects colliding in x,y point and use that to make up my weight but shit returns null

Probably since Steam is the biggest PC game catalogue ever. Good for exposure, good for people accidentally stumbling upon your game, and frankly, it probably looks way more formal and professional when your download link is a platform that hosts AAA billion dollar sellers, rather than a file shortener link or some hipster indie game website like itch.yo and whatnot.
That'd be my guess, at least.

t. dev making a free game and not putting it on Steam

The dead in-between threads is a good time to get work in, for me at least.
Just do that, so you have something to show off once said new thread arrives.

Maybe you should stop, stand back a bit, and think about why it is you absolutely despise free games. Because clearly you came up with flimsy ways to justify that after the fact.

Would you mind showing how the mesh deforms when you do that? Without the shading?

If you're so ass-pained about having to wait until page 13, go bump some non-shit threads on pages 13-15 with meaningful posts, or make a new one on a nice topic. Who am I kidding, Holla Forums doesn't get nice threads anymore.

You mean the platform with the most visibility by a long shot, where 30% of the top-20 games are free? Baffling.

I made a new thread, so we can post in it.

Last time I tried to make the new thread, some guy posted his thread when we were still on page 12

NEW THREAD

I already fucking hate the anoying dog