Ports Thread

What's the best port of Prince of Persia to play?

Also thread about different ports/versions of games I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.princed.org/
my.mixtape.moe/sysqam.rar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The PC version.

The SNES version

Which PC version?

Didn't know there was more than one. The original 1990 PC version.

I grew up on the DOS version but the SNES version is the best-looking.

There's a whole forum for this game btw: forum.princed.org/

The SNES version is a real standout. It isn't faithful to the other conventional versions and is also a bit longer and easier. But damn, does it have soul. It has such a feeling of beautiful mystique to it.

Here's the DOS version with updated graphics. You can do this using POP: Total Pack but I simply replaced the graphics and made it all static, no big deal.

my.mixtape.moe/sysqam.rar

isn't prince of Persia a 8fps game?

help

You'll likely need dosbox for pretty much all old games to work.

Did you really just try to run an MS-DOS game on modern Windows? And a 64-bit Windows on top of that? Use DOSBox dude, it's what we all do (Unless you have an old as fuck PC with DOS on it).

Yes. I'm pretty sure that 60fps rotoscoped animations would have been a nightmare to make back then.

Speaking of DOSBox, if you don't feel like mounting the directory every time you want to run something, you can pass the path to the executable as a parameter, which automatically mounts the correct directory and runs the program. In the case of *nix systems: dosbox /whatever/fuckshit/FUCKSHIT.EXE
This also means you can just drag and drop a game's executable onto the DOSBox one and it will magically work, also in Windows. No support for drag-and-drop directly into a running instance yet, though.

you can make different configuration files(which can automatically run commands on execution) for different games and can use a parameter in a new dosbox shortcut to read that configuration file instead of the default one.

I personally like the look of the SNES version

Back in the 80s and early 90s PCs weren't unified as they are now. You had Apple II, Amiga, DOS and then whatever else Japan only PCs that existed.
Probably the main reason I like the SNES version. It was released a few years later with no messy audio driver fiddling.

That's an option as well. That's dipping a toe into the realm of the power user, though. If you're the kind of guy to do that, you likely already know what you want, will spend a moment figuring out how to do it and will inevitably get a solution to cobbled together to do just that.
At least DOSBox has caught on quite nicely. I remember quite a few years ago when people were still having trouble with just the basic usage, who just want to had a craving for some old title and wanted nothing more. Folks frustrated with having remember how to do the mounting thing over and over, or the more casual among us without the technical aptitude to understand the instructions. This drag-and-drop thing made it a lot more accessible.

No one called those PCs, though. Like, "Amiga PC" was unheard of.

Best version is prince of persia 2 without manuals, crazy shit.

Also, prince of persia had drm, downboated fam :^)

Bump.
The SNES version is pretty much perfect, but I also enjoy the PC-98 version because of its music.

What the fuck are you talking about?
All of the things I listed were fucking PCs. They were marketed as home computers too.

Don't be an idiot. No one with half a brain would ever mix Amiga, Commodore or a Mac with a PC (486, 386)

PC means personal computer. Its not a term patented by Intel. Its just that when competitors died off it became synonymous with it.
Dos was trash for games for a long time and Amiga and Commodore 64 are very much PCs.
Admit your stupidity instead of doubling down.
A 386 microprocessor didn't even exist until 1985.

Usually they were called Home Computers though.

I'm 39 and lived through this stuff. You're fucking retarded. No one talked about a C64 PC or Amiga PC or Apple PC. We had IBM PC and PS/2 on the western front. Everyone knew what "PC" referred to.

Oh, also, get fucked. DOS was fine for games as we all wrote our own protected mode loaders. It was like writing your own OS to go along with the game.
Since we had total control of the hardware, we could do things that were so tightly timed that you can't even emulate them properly today. For example, doing 24 bit truecolor on 256 color VGA cards which a couple scene games made use of. That involved timing not vertical refresh, but horizontal refresh, and changing palette registers while the electron beam was turned off and being re-positioned at the next scan line.

Its the same shit.
Home computers are a subset of personal computers.

The fuck do you think the CPC in Amstrad CPC stands for you lying bitch?

Not with those shit ports and poor video quality that didn't get better until half a decade later.

Prince of Persia Classic apparently didn't get a pc port which is a bit of a shame. Might have to do the dos version regardless.
I've played the 3d trilogy and holy shit the only good one is the first one. The second was alright but jesus the third was a kick in the teeth after playing the first especially since it's supposed to be a lot like the first and has (most of) the same characters in the same roles.

You're a fuckin chump.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer
Yes, technically there are other personal computers, but nobody called them PCs because if they did people would assume that meant IBM-PC or it's many derivatives.

I can only conclude he's either retarded or baiting. And not that's important but we made the same distinction on the eastern front.

Attention faggot: if anyone had said "PC" back then, do you think someone would have said, "Oh, do you mean the Amstrad?"
You have no idea what you're talking about. DOS had nothing to do with video. We wrote our own drivers around VISA.

Are you fucking retarded?
If anyone said PC back then people would've asked which one.
Fucking end yourself. Computers back then weren't even half as modular as they are now. You had OS specific chipsets so you couldn't just install the OS of an Apple II on your IBM PC.
I don't know why I am even wasting my time with someone as arrogant in their stupidity as you.

From your own kikepedia article
Now fuck off

Yeah, I'm going with either pretending to be retarded or retarded, which are no different.

"PC" was always understood as referring specifically to the IBM PC and derivatives thereof. C64 and such were referred to as "home computers", or more commonly just "computers".
Citation: I was actually there.

Holy shit you are fucking retarded. PC referred to IBM-PCs and variants you twit. Sure there were a few who would try to call an Apple computer or shit a PC, and while that was technically correct, it was not how most people drew the PC distinction.

But I liked their version of Marble Madness.

Weeeittt

Wew.

Did you know there's a pc port of the first 3 Ace Attorney games? They seemed to be based on the GBA version though.

DOS version is the original experience and has no glaring flaw in controls
Mac version is much the same but prettier and slower
Mega CD version is the least terrible straight console port Bonus point for the cheesy as fuck anime cutscenes
SNES is good but adds a lot of stuff so it's not really the original version anymore

I love how all the different version of SotB look.

Legit had me laughing out loud, thank you mate.