With no new hardware announcements or pricedrops...

With no new hardware announcements or pricedrops, and DooD and Fallout VR still using the teleport marker mechanic is it safe to say VR is dead? Like, why is the first consumer generation still over a thousand dollars when it still makes people sick from the glass door effect?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43908/playstation-vr-is-outselling-the-oculus-rift-and-htc-vive-craveonline
businessinsider.com/solution-for-virtual-reality-vr-motion-sickness-2016-6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nope, Sony is the king of VR. They made the first non teleporting FPS game

Apple and Sony fanboys in the one thread.
Now this is a treat.

VR is dead unless they drop the price by $300+. No one will buy a thing like a headset that only has """experiences""". Why would the average person with an average income spend a fortnight's pay, or even more, to just play 20 minute games at $30 a pop? Only those with disposable cash are buying headsets, and they're not exactly giving it the best impression to other potential users, with reports of sickness, headaches and boredom/frustration.

Now AR is a realm I can see actually working out well. Tabletop games, HSG and puzzles would world amazingly well on that.
Too bad that's even more lucrative in terms of pricing, but at least it has much more of an educational and social aspect to it than VR, so that will be developed more in the future.

VR is dying from everyone expecting it to the fucking Matrix, like you can run around and blow shit up with your mind or whatever. It's a screen strapped to your head, nothing more, and it could be pretty handy if people stopped trying to make the games fit that stupid Hollywood idea (hence the "teleport marker" bullshit, just use your KB+M or joystick like you always have).

I hope you're right, but consumers are retarded enough to make your entire point moot.

I wasn't praising the iPhone you dumb cunt, I was pointing out that trying to judge what will sell on the first iteration is retarded. VR is enthusiast only right now and has shit games. In five years it might be 1/3rd the price with better hardware and devs actually applying themselves.

I like your post, user

Consumers are indeed retard by and large, and there's always the saying "A fool and his money are easily parted", but in this case, the price is too high, and these fools can't save up that amount without buying the PS4Pro+SuperExta for half the price.

I just wanted to bully you so I could claim the moral highground for pointing out undesirables, so my post looked better. :^)

That being said, the iPhone was insanely popular on launch. It was a novelty, just like VR, but it made things like texting insanely easy for the masses, and thus was adopted quickly and cloned by others.
VR, however, does not make anything new or better. It's just the screen being really close to your head with a couple motion sensors, which isn't pushing the limits of technology in this day and age like they promise.

Whats wrong with you?

Now, 3 guesses why I think you're being a good goy.

This shit is 1 - still in development, 2 - outwardly made to sell a lightgun 3 - hasn't addressed the motion sickness issue at all. You're just so damn naïve you believe not addressing the issue is resolving it. That's how braindead sonyggers are - you don't even have to lie to them, you say nothing and they just automatically assume it's the best shit.

Good joke user, good joke

The game already out dumbass

Sorry if you hate fact

forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43908/playstation-vr-is-outselling-the-oculus-rift-and-htc-vive-craveonline

Until it's at a reasonable price, it means nothing to the vast majority of both players and devs.
I wonder how you dev for something like the HoloLens or Glass. Might go look into that.

Yes, you've proven that a bunch of retards that buy locked down platforms buy whatever add on they're told to buy.
They're not "The King". They're the highest selling brand.

Now, when they release an actual game that addresses the various problems of VR and make it not cost $800+ dollars, maybe they can be the kings.

Until the headset is as light as a pair of glasses it won't be popular. At the moment it is uncomfortable and inconvenient. The resolution also has to be many times higher because it's only really useful for sims games. The idea of people standing up or walking around is just ridiculous. Most just can't be bothered with that kind of nonsense. At this point the VR fanboys are Star Citizen tier both in their delusion and financial commitment.

VR is a lame, expensive gimmick that always has some form of awkward movement. It will never be a household item. I'm just here to watch Moore's Law faggots get buttfrustrated.

That's what being the king mean

already posted the game and PSVR is like $300 bucks. Dont get mad at other peoples if you can't afford one

so you believe everything you see at e3 is going to be as good as they advertise, gotcha

Yes, that's right. The PS VR headset totally doesn't need that $400+ console.
Lower price point of an accessory doesn't make the total cost any less prohibitive than competitors.
Also, Farpoint has had even more complains about motion sickness. I found a bunch of anecdotes from people saying that they are fine in normal VR games but that Farpoint gives them motion sickness, or that Farpoint is more sickening that other VR games.

You're really proving that you're not a Sonygger.

i am actually amazed by VR. I was pretty skeptical about it all and then i tried the PSVR and, for a console VR system, it was quite an incredible experience. your mind truly can get lost in the game worlds and it adds a lot of immersion and joy to the experience of games. i literally found it hard to go past the first room in resident evil 7 with the headset on because i was overwhelmed with fear that my own body was telling me "NO" don't go in there. VR in this generation has a lot of potential, it isn't just a headache box like the older VR tech of the past where you just felt like you had a heavy monitor strapped to your head. the tech really is becoming something to look forward to and i've been thinking about getting the HTC vive

don't let Holla Forums make you bitter and hate VR. give it a chance, even on the cheapest system like the PSVR, the experience was there

i've also been experimenting with making SBS 3D images and videos for watching on my PS4 and the effect really can be intense and exciting, i really do reccomend trying it out

It's alive enough for you to claim it's dead.

So oculus can work on my DELL workstation?

Or, you could get a Samsung Gear headset for a fraction of the cost and use it on whatever you like.
But, then you'd need to use it to justify it, and there are no gaems.

sorry poorfag, I can't help you there. But you can keep crying like a poor bitch that you are

Now I'm a poorfag for not wanting to buy an overhyped piece of technology.

Please, give me a list of 5 games that are worth the average user giving a playthrough.
I'll assume the first will be Farpoint, as if you don't mention them you get deducted 20 cents from the cheque, but points will be deducted for teleporter pad shit.

I wasn't stating it's dead, what I was saying however is that it's very likely to be dead due to there appearing to be zero momentum in it's development. It's sort of like the Dreamcast not being really dead because there's still indy games being developed for it. As a platform itself however the question that has been rightfully raised is if it should still be taken seriously.

skyrim vr confrimed to not use TP movment. but seriously, VR was never supposed to be about games made for VR, it was about other games modded to be in VR to make them better.

so many shills during E3 holy fuck.

Notice how the only brand name mentioned is Sony.

Yep

How would you even aim with kb+m?

don't flatter yourself , people wouldn't pay shills to come to Holla Forums's Holla Forums

all i'm saying is from my experience there is a lot of potential for VR in this generation and if you tried it for yourself you might see that

I wonder who is behind this post.

Don't you mean PSVR?

it got popular when they started using government money to ship used models to third world nations.

It actually works out quite well. When your mouse is adjusting the camera (as opposed to you turning your head), it doesn't really fuck with you, you feel as if you're in a floating chair so to speak, you still get to look around while the chair is floating around.

The only time when VR fucks with your mind is the opposite - you move your head and the image stays frozen. For example, if you were to do a quick-ish turn and the game freezes for half a second, your brain gets two conflicting signals and it fucks you up real bad.

Also

I still can't believe people fell for this fad AGAIN.

I am fucking pissed. Is actual three dimensions too much to ask for? I tried a vive and the depth perception was amazing but the wagglan just pissed me off.
Is there any cheap way to get just a headset? Imagine shit like the environments in E.Y.E with one.

Glass was just a glorified head mounted smartwatch with a display in the corner of your eye. Hardly comes close to actual attempts like HoloLens.

I feel you. Stereoscopic vision in games is the best. I love it so god damn much, but everything has to be virtual reality and weird paddle control schemes liek you are really in the game!

Best 3D experience I ever had was Shadow of the Colossus on PS3. The stereoscopic implementation really isn't the best but oh man, that game. If the remake doesn't support the HMD becasue "it's third person, why would you want 3D in that?" I'm going to fucking run the old game on a VIVE2 or whatever is around by then.

VR wasn't ready for the mass market. Surely there's got to be some simple rendering trick or something that they could implement to alleviate the problem, but nobody ever bothered to experiment and find it when VR was still in the conceptual phase. Something that likely would have been a priority to solve had VR started out as an industrial tool first - but no… it got meme'd into being "the future of video games" and so as soon as the price point lowered to the high-end of affordability, everyone just rushed ahead to corner the market.

Now the best they can come up with either crippling their games by building them around a feature that doesn't fucking work, or pushing a chemical solution like Dramamine.

AR is shit, and will always be shit for games, because you can't standardize and polish level design - when those levels are required to conform to an infinite number of livingroom configurations. You'll just get a bunch of shitty set-piece scenarios randomly stitched together by an algorithm. Not to mention it's already janky as fuck because there aren't any portable devices powerful enough or built specifically to handle real-time object tracking at the resolutions necessary to keep the rendered images stable in relation to the background. The cameras you'd need included would be fucking expensive as shit, or they'll just look like what they are - overlaying crisp clear rendered graphics over a shitty cell-phone video.

But user, Apple just released and announced new computers with graphics hardware to take advantage of VR and AR. So obviously it's not dead!

All joking aside, I was astounded to see Apple actually care about graphics at this year's WWDC. It's entirely possible that they're stepping up their mobile gaming presence.

Motion sickness is a sign from God that your destiny is to bring misfortune to those around you and that you should remove yourself from the genepool and let VR technology progress without any impediments.

Suck it up.

Ever played ArmA? It did free-aim very well, perfectly fit for VR. In fact, it was played with TrackIR by many for years now.

Some people are prone to motion sickness, and some people are basically immune to it.
Here's the thing, though: everybody can become immune to it by exposing themselves to it over time.

The "teleport marker" bullshit, which is assassinating VR before it has a chance to take its first breath, is precisely the kind of avoidance-of-negative-stimulus bullshit that makes people into betas, cucks and losers. It's the same mentality that leads to extremely fat or unfit people, because "not constantly sucking down food hurts me emotionally" or "working out makes me slightly uncomfortable and I can't handle that level of stress" and other such useless excuses.

They just need to push hard with full-motion-freedom VR games and stop enabling the pussification of the genre before they destroy it permanently.

Your view and your aim are decoupled. Your head controls your immediate forward view, which you can look around normally. Your right stick or the mouse controls the overall camera orientation, just like it does in non-VR vidya - in practice, this feels totally natural; you could equate it to looking around while sitting in a rotating turret, but it actually feels so natural that nothing feels out of the ordinary. You just assimilate that shit as if your human body has always worked that way.
Then you move with wasd or the left stick. As long as you are controlling the movement, you feel totally fine and natural. Your legs aren't working, but your brain is trained to know that W or stick-forward means "move forward", so it's not much of a leap that even though you're sitting down, the world around you starts moving; it feels like you're sitting in one of those electric cripple chairs kind of, but again you don't notice it that way and instead totally assimilate it as normal.

Aiming is best done utilizing the actual space - so a real scope or real ironsights that you have to hold up and align to your face. There are a few gun range VR simulators that are fucking fantastic that do that. It feels real. The caveat here is that there are no VR "grip" motion controllers that don't totally suck for cross-genre play, so movement becomes a problem.
The other method of aiming - where the reticle is centered on your "overall" viewpoint (controlled by mouse or right stick) and NOT your "virtual" viewpoint (your HMD orientation) - works perfectly fine. It's not ideal, but it's equivalent to all the vidya you've ever played so you again feel perfectly natural doing it that way.

Lots of people quote the "screen strapped to your face" meme - and they're all people who've never strapped one to their face to see how it actually works. The technology is there, and it works, and it's great. The software, barring a couple of unpolished gems, is entirely shit and is the AIDS that's riddled the VR genre.

What ever happened to Google Glass?

i have no idea. I remember seeing an article about how google glass had been banned in a lot of places in the UK because of some privacy concerns or something along those lines.

Just look at how much of a fucking dick you look wearing this shit with your shitty plaggy gun. VR might make you think you're being cool while in Actual Reality you look like an asshole.

I agree on all counts, also it'll have to serve as a pair of glasses for us four-eyed fuckers.

Ug smash.

Quality over quantity lad.

if i gave you a really big kiss would that help you cheer up?

The video they showed of Fallout 4 VR didn't have teleporting movement. I could be wrong but it looked like you just play like normal. Doom however had teleporting spot markers all over the place. Regardless Fallout 4 is such a shit game it isn't worth playing in VR.

I love this reductive argument of calling people poorfag when they don't even want some flash-in-the-pan flailing retard kit that really needs *yet another* generation to gitgud and a complete collapse in the gaming industry to have anything worth a shit to play on it anyway.

Don't think I've ever wanted VR, I remember this shit the first time around and the comedy set-ups they had back then, nearly everyone I saw rigged up hurt themselves at least a little or knocked something over, half the time they bashed the helmet.

Modern version is still not good enough, wires, weight, heat, flailing, weird movement, headfucks etc there's too many other reasons to not have one for not having the money to take top spot.

Depends how feminine your penis is.

thats a shoop isn't it? its just too funny to be real

At least for Fallout VR the teleportation is only one option. It supports tradition trackpad movement as well. I fucking hope its the same with Doom or I'll have no interest in it.

Do you know of any other games with stereoscopic mode available?

By this I mean the cross-eye kind that I can view without a headset.

This is probably my favorite article/ad combination

The videogame industry is comatose and the VR market is the same.

They are making Fallout and Doom with the teleport mechanic because its the friendliest to people who use VR for the first time, and because Bethesda is incompetent.

Onward has full locomotion, people play it without problems.
Sairento VR has double jumping, wallrunning, sliding ontop of that, people play it without problems.

VR works, and its excellent in games like Robo Recall where you can catch bullets, rip enemies apart with your bare hands and then use the head to beat another enemy with it, but VR is lacking only in content. It works extremely well, surprisingly.

Cockpit games suck dick, though.

You would have to be retarded to believe this, Sonys VR is utter trash that loses tracking constantly and runs on a piece of shit that wouldnt run even shitty pc games.

Full-motion VR is insanely expensive. You're looking to increase the price from $400-$800 to $1500+(even more if you want it to not have large space requirements). The teleport marker is a side-effect of noone knowing how to approach moving in a stationary setting. Either you have a Large. Empty. Room. or you get people awkwardly trying to find a way around movement. Why no one is developing games with standard movement controls + headtracking I have no fucking idea.

This is wrong, people know about and successfully use locomotion and not make it really bad.
Onward has been using it for quite some time.
The problem is that first time users can get motion sick from it, your brain has to basically adjust to VR over like 6 different sessions before it goes "okay, this is fine." and makes you tolerate it.

People are developing these games, there are quite a few of them. But they arent getting any attention in the press or on the boards, because they dont have vr and these games have no marketing behind them. This is virgin soil that is solely being used by enthusiasts for now.

He was talking about trackpad movement. It's basically a joystick on the Vive controller. You use it to move forward, back, and strafe. The best locomotion option currently.

See this
You can move in VR without teleportation but the downside to this is that you can only move forward and maybe strafing left and right.

Playing an actual FPS games (not vehicle simulator) in VR is impossible. Mainly because your mouse which is used to look around in FPS games is clashing with the headtracking.

Onward style (trackpad) locomotion allows to to move around like you normally would in a game. Just what you would normally use a mouse for you use the position of your head.

What? You use the headtracking instead of the mouse. That's like saying playing FPS games with a gamepad is impossible because the right analog stick is clashing with the headtracking.

But I have no trouble in Arma.

Without the head tracking, its not really a VR then. Its just a screen strap to your face.

Most faggots here would be the first to tell you it's just a screen strapped to your face no matter what else it can do

When did I say there wasn't head tracking?

And HL2 and Duke3D and Quake

There are already known solutions to people getting motion sick in VR, devs are just too retarded to implement them.

Then what did you use to look around in VR? You can't have both, what happened when you move the mouse to the left but your head is turning to the right?How do you aim?

businessinsider.com/solution-for-virtual-reality-vr-motion-sickness-2016-6
Tweaking fov while moving has been shown to severally reduce motion sickness. I have no idea why games don't use this trick.

It's still alive for porn but for vidya? ded.

With the Vive controllers.

Some games do. I always turn that setting off because I don't get motion sick. With it on its not as good of an experience.

Spoiler: The vive and the rift both have a stick or a trackpad for movement, playing a VR FPS game sitting down with your keyboard and mouse is utterly fucking retarded

Its astonishing me how little people here know about VR, yet still talk about it.

That's because Arma was originally built for VR and ported so us non-military plebs can use it. If I remember this has always been the case since Arma 1.. its just the industry was too stupid to notice that the answer was in their face the whole time.

So this is what you're talking about? The trackpad from what Isee can only move forward/backward, strafing left and right. To turn, you literally have to turn you whole body.

and you want to play an actual FPS games like DOOM with this?

Have I missed out on something by not having any of the hardware? What do you mean by teleporting, and how does that impact VR in a bad way? Also, is that game in 3D (2 screens in PSVR, 1 screen per eye) or is PSVR just one screen like a monitor? What I'm saying is he'd have to aim with his dominant eye if that were the case, which would be neat.

My experience with "VR" has only been using my samsung S6 with a cardboard-like $20 headmount (has the eye lens focus etc), and playing Metroid Prime 1+2 in 3D. Its neat and I love doing that, but there's still a few issues with my cheap method. I have to stream the game to my phone which causes very minimal lag, and fast movement is blurred, choppy frames rarely etc. (Why they haven't enabled USB tether data transfer on the Shield streaming program, I don't know)

Any ideas guys about USB tethering instead of WiFi for PC->phone streaming anyone? Anyway its nice to see MP1&2 in 3D, but I can't get motion tracking to work obviously with my phone, even though it has accelerometers (too niche software to work since ~

iL-2 sturmovik (stalingrad?) came out recently with VR support. Reactions from people are saying its the best VR experience for flight they've had.

vr is fag gay

Does that mean that the Wii and Wii sports are the king of videogames?

Why would you hope for VR to be dead? Or for any new tech to be dead? Why wouldn't you "hope" for it to become cheaper or better? Why wouldn't you hope it becomes a whole new medium where talented people can create things we've never seen or experienced before. Opening whole new worlds to us. It makes a person wonder, if your going to hope for something, why not hope for something good to happen? It doesn't make any sense. Until you realize it's just because you're poor and butthurt, then it all makes sense.

I've played Doom 3 and other fast paced fps's with that locomotion setup. It works fine.
I've own the Vive for about a year now, and I've not gotten the cord tangled around my body once. Nor has anyone else whose used it. You would have to be some type of mentally retarded halfwit to tangled yourself.
You also have a neck you know. It turns. Unless, you're extremely overweight or disabled, it doesn't take much effort to turn around quickly. Also, you have a lot more control, without constantly having to adjust mouse sensitivity.

so if I want to go left, I turn my head left, and then stay that way if I want to move forward in that direction? So see the problem here? its not just a matter of turning, its when you want to move in that direction.
Yeah, thanks for proving my point

Have you actually tried VR or are you just trying to envision how it will be by looking at youtube videos? Because that's what it sounds like and that's retarded, if true. Also, DOOM 3 isn't a native VR game.

But the vive can't track your body. It can only track your head and hands. How does it need you to do something that it cannot possibly track?

Then you push forward on the trackpad. Simple.

In most my Onward matches when I'm moving across the map, I will only turn my head. Even in that Doom video the guy would sometimes just turn his head as he was going through the hallways. The only thing the game cares about is the position of the HMD. The controllers only adjust the position of the hands. They don't affect body position.

I dont need to buy an expensive piece of crap to know how it works. The way I see it, its not really that impressive that you'll spend $800 for something that will become a paper weight in 2 weeks. It's a gimmick like motion control and 3D, really cool at first, but not for long, you will get tired of it.

Of course not you dumbass, is your head not attached to your body? check the video.

If the guy playing Doom doesn't need to move his body to move around, he should be able to play the game while sitting down.
No he's not

Yeah, VR is a pretty shit product on wii controller levels of gimmick. Its attraction now for specific games, and not an improve over 3d vision as it was supposed to be. Fuck, even shitty nvidia glasses deliver what i need, if they didn't need an aditional monitor up my ass.

You don't always need to move your whole body. Depends on how much you need to turn and the environment in game.
Yeah he is. He looks up to go up a ladder, looks left then right to make a couple quick turns. Almost all of his movement begin with him turning his head then only moving his body if he continues in that direction for a bit.

Well for a flat screen which is an inch or two in front of your eyes, for that to envelope your entire field of view, the screen would have to be infinitely long and wide, and there would be terrible displacement/angular distortion with a tall vertical and wide horizontal FOV. not to mention there would be two screens, one for each eye, and there would be an overlap for the inbetween vision of the eyes, not to mention you would be able to see your nose if the screen was big enough - which would kill immersion. And yes you would need a virtual ingame nose to match that immersion Gets complicated eh?

Ideally you should be asking for an OLED curved screen that would envelope each eye socket, but this still would not be able to achieve full width/height FOV since you need a lens in between the eye and screen to simulate that you are looking at a far object - to avoid eye strain. The lens would distort the screen at the extreme edges, but a curved OLED would reduce those FOV distortions tied to a flat screen, if done right. (I'd assume the pixels would need to be different sizes to eliminate distortion due to FOV) Tricky yet? But this is the next step in innovation and technology. Perfecting this may take a thousand years, which by then we might be able to come up with a new way to feed visual information to the eyes or brain.

In other words, your average consumer.

Yes, you do faggot. VR isn't something you can understand without using it. You'll realize what a moron you are when your poor ass actually tries one on.