Paid negative PR?

so by now, Holla Forums should know that video game companies pay people to do positive PR for them as if they weren't paying them to do it, and in some cases to try to form a consensus of their game being good, which is almost always, if not always, isn't

they can pay off professional video game reviewers
they can pay off parts of audiences at E3 to clap and buy their seats for them
they can pay people to shill for their game
they can pay e-celebs to endorse their game
they can EVEN pay video game awards ceremonies to give THEIR video game the GOTY award, as what'd likely happened with landfill that was dragon age: inquisitionor maybe that was blackmail

but why haven't video game companies been working against eachother more blatantly?
do they pay people to shill against their competitor's games?
do they pay audiences at E3 to boo at their competitor's games?
do they pay video game review sites to give bad reviews to their competitor's games?wouldn't be surprised if they do that one for very cheap
do they pay e-celebs to say that their competitor's games suck?

why isn't that sort of stuff more prevalent?
are they all working together?
are they REALLY competing with eachother, or are they just pretending to do so while pushing the leftist agenda?
do they generally not do it because of the nature of consoles?

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/11/gamergate-ben-kuchera-and-the-life-and-nepotism-of-game-journo-pros/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not just paid negative PR against each other, they've also been trying to drum up "oppositional PR" as advertising. The first instance of this I can recall is (ubisoft or EA) faking a Christian protest against Dante's Inferno, but this year there's been tons of "white-baiting," attempts to drum up "racists" to have the press lambaste and get the product into the viral news cycle and slactivist loop.

this is true, any press is good, even negative press.

Beth shills are the ones running around shitting up anything regarding the new Wolfenstein.
No one will answer why they dislike the fact there's something like 5% of shown characters being black (in a ghetto, I might add), yet within 10 minutes of the first trailer going to YouTube, there was a hit piece against the ebil trump-voting white men posting hurtful things.

You saw it a lot in the past few weeks with Far Cry 5, which even took pains to crop the negro on the front cover out of the initial "leak". Essentially, they think they can use the "alt" right as patsies to bait the left, who will buy their products. A smaller group is doing it the opposite direction, but to a magnitude smaller degree.

This shit happens all the time. Notice how every COD trailer or ANYTHING related to COD has faggots posting shit like "RIP COD LOL" "BF1 IS BETTER LOL". Now, yeah, there's people who do that for free, because they're fanboys, but I'm sure there's a lot of paid shills doing it too.

Sometimes it seems like the most hostile users are paid to damage the community simply because they spend so much time and effort on it. Because they're defending the game / publisher / developer, the mods of said forums don't ban them. The're probably not paid though, instead it's just autism and rage. Ultra obnoxious fanboys also prevent valuable feedback from reaching developers because they create an echo chamber. Many times though feedback is pointless because all the programmers have already been fired by the time the game is released meaning no significant changes can be made.

Overall my feeling is that publishers, developers and fanboys are almost always their own worse enemy and don't need any help. Evolve was a great example of that. Battleborn's horrendous artstyle as well as Randy Pitchford's frequent attacks on his audience is another example.

no, they don't

because cronyism
because cronyism
because cronyism
because cronyism

bumping this thread because its actually good.

Of course they do, considering anons have pointed out at least 5 recent examples in this thread already.

Sony and Nintendo don't want the other to fail, but they certainly don't want the other to sell a console/game that they could have instead.

I don't believe for a second that a lot of the zeroes on BotW Metacritic are legitimate people.

For attacking each other, that's usually done through "partisan" media outlet, like how neogaf rides Sony balls deep. What I think is most interesting is the publishers attacking themselves for the "buzz," because it's so predictable.

What was also funny was that one BoTW/nintendo shill claiming Zelda was "Aryan" and thus had to be supported financially.

I think those were legitimate sonyggers.
Real Sony shills wouldn't of namedropped HZD in every 0 score; that's too obvious.
The 10-30s would of been, however. They were chimping out constantly about being the Zelda killer.

How much of metacritic is legitimate by now?

In short, this type of aggressive marketing can backfire. Back in the 90's, it was common to see a large company go after a competitor in their marketing campaigns. However, this is risky, because it has potential to instill discontent and ill-will in the minds of consumers who don't harbor allegiance to either corporation, and who just want what is advertised. If your product is not functioning as advertised (i.e. "better than the rest!"), the consumer will eventually find out that he's been duped, even though your marketing was effective at moving product. Basically, you're shooting yourself in the foot by claiming that your product is superior to your competitor's, especially when both products' "functionality" is not measurable by some objective standard (i.e. you can't "prove" that Coke is better than Pepsi, taste is subjective, etc), because people will eventually find out about the true quality of your product, and they will not allow you to forget your bad track record.

Instead, it's more likely that fanboys, "journalistic outlets" and generally every other party that exists outside of the industry, will use guerilla tactics to distribute their propaganda (i.e. their memes, their ideas about anything related to video games), because this is the only effective way they can sway hearts and minds. If you can get enough people to agree with you that "this is how video games should be" then you stand some chance at having someone within the industry address your concerns. This is becoming more and more ineffective, though, because multinational corporations can use our ever increasing online presence to directly observe our patterns of behavior and use datamining to find out vital information about the audience, which they can then use as the basis for their entire operation.

Video games are no longer about what any specific group wants, because everyone is a gamer. Instead, game corporations will just seek to grasp as much of the audience as they can in one fell swoop.

Because the well of negativity the internet contains is bottomless, and it will always spill over to the product you want people to buy instead.

blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/11/gamergate-ben-kuchera-and-the-life-and-nepotism-of-game-journo-pros/

old article but it actually shows very good what is happenign and how.

No shit why do you think Undertale threads were shitposted so hard around the time of Fallout 4's release?

This is the most likely, especially since by making out all opposition to the game to be "racists don't like this black woman we ripped from a blaxploitation movie included to diversify the cast", they can defuse legitimate complaints like the fact that BGE2 should have just been a new IP with how much it could be linked to BGE, or the fact that Wolfenstein: TNC is a Bioshock: Infinite-tier Mature Cinematic Experience for Mature Gamers Such as Myself™
Anyone who remembers pic related, this is the same fucking tactic, and Holla Forums is playing right into it.

Because it's generally more profitable to pay people to shill your game than to pay others to shit on others.
>More people dislike the other game, some of them may try yours or other similar products on the market. Maybe an indirect increase in sales
Unless it's the case for 2 very similar and big titles, see

Bioware did that once, one of their employees wrote a negative review of The Witcher on Metacritic when they released their Dragon Age game. In his review he praised DA.

of course, why would they not? marketing is powerful