Roguelike/lite thread

What are you playing anons?

Any cool games you want to shill?

Hows that fortress going?

What got removed from DCSS this time?

You sure you want to step on that? (y/n)

Other urls found in this thread:

armouredcommander.com/
aukustus.itch.io/the-temple-of-torment
happyponyland.net/the-slimy-lichmummy
demon.ferretdev.org/
roguetemple.com/z/hyper/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

playing Monolith, its like BoI but with spaceships and shit

What a shit game, what would actually happen is death by bowel obstruction

unless you chew it a lot

I once tried making a roguelike but i got bored.
Here is the font I made

what was it about?

I tried making mutations and implants cyberpunk style

sounds cool, ahve you considered open sourcing it?

It never got over the delign stage.
All you see is concept art.

Caves of Qud is on Steam now, I pirated it and it… has potential. But I haven't got motivation to play it.

gib mannet

I've been playing brogue and the ground gives way lately. I'm starting to be moderatly good in brogue(I've managed to get several times to level 20 and beyond and three times to level 26 and once managed to grab the amulet of yendor, but died in the end) but in tggw I'm still not very good.
in other news, I'm cautiosly optimistic for coqmind, tho' I will wait for full game before buying it. It kinda looks interesting.

y

I tried playing nethack but got bored

seems pretty fun but the area of the screen dedicated to gameplay is too tiny, everything feels cramped

What is a "roguelite" to you?

How can you make a thread for such completely different genres?

the answer is simple, I dont care

i've seen that tb video too, dont be too edgy. and i agree, roguelites are so far from roguelikes, they should change the name, so its not gonna be confused with actual rogue

well, I didn't consider roguelites a genre even before seeing that video. The video simply strengthened my opinion on this, kinda.

Not the point.

Combining roguelikes and roguelites is like combining FPS and platformers into the same thread.

I like both but it just seems like asking for a fight between the fans of one and the other.

Im just going to drop some roguelikes I dont see discussed often

>armouredcommander.com/

Its a tank simulator mixed with a roguelike, nuff said

>aukustus.itch.io/the-temple-of-torment

reinassance themed, has an overworld map and one of the classes uses flintlock weapons

>happyponyland.net/the-slimy-lichmummy

the one in the OP, is cyberpunk mixed with Rogue, its short but has a couple of really interesting desing choices (there are no experience points and health is a finite resource and your primary way of gaining HP is by finding pickups you consume on the spot)

>demon.ferretdev.org/

you recruit demons and make them fight for you

how is midboss?

You could also mention hyperrogue.
roguetemple.com/z/hyper/

Kind of shitty at the start but then gets better

Is there a "desert punk "ish rogue-like? It seems to fit the theme very much.

Roguelites are just shitty casual roguelikes though. There's not much reason to put them in a different thread.

On-topic, I've been trying to ascend a Healer in Nethack lately but I'm still working out the kinks of the protection racket strategy

Can't say I know many desert-type roguelikes.

The best I can think of might be Caves of Qud, where it's a postapocalyptic wasteland where everyone outside special arcologies is horribly mutated, and clean water is the main unit of currency. While it does have a salt desert, that's really just one biome of many in the game.

How do I git gud?

Learn to rogue.

Always be cautious, be willing to cut and run if things get chancy, never take on anything you're uncertain of without a trump card in reserve, if you ever fall below 1/3 hp beating an enemy you need to reevaluate your strategy for fighting it (because you would have been dead if the RNG felt like screwing you). Your lifespan is measured in the viable responses you have to any given situation, and a character without an escape option is a character that will die the second the going gets rough.

Also, you have no excuse for losing once you've reached the Lair; short of serious RNG bullshit you should have or be able to find most of the tools and skills you need to make it through the rest of the game.

Is damage always diceroll based?

That is, will a true roguelike always have eg d8 for damage, versus a game like Final Fantasy which uses strictly calculated numbers, which is that offset by a %

How the cuck is anyone supposed to beat Rogue without save scumming? I've never done it, and I've been playing this game since 1992.

The slimmy lichmummy is godtier

Did anyone ever make a melee character in this? As a kid, I was a retard and couldn't do it, so I just maxed intelligence, got Magic Arrow, savescummed constantly, and abused casting from HP and resting. I won, of course.

As an adult, the game won't run on modern systems.

Also as a kid, I would always run out of oxygen or resources or just die to monsters. One step costs 1 oxygen, and when it runs out, you take HP damage instead. Plants are found randomly and have 3 stages and take about 800 steps to mature, offering a handful of oxygen, health, or energy.

As an adult, I steamrolled this game without too much save abuse. Killing monsters and finding some items gives you energy crystals, which are used point-based to upgrade stats and skills. Well, I just saved up 1500 (about 3 floors' worth) and upgraded my speed. As in, I had level 2 speed and literally took 2 turns to every monster's 1.

I kept raising it, and staggering my movements it so that I would step back every time they would get a turn, and every time I got two turns, I would attack. I never took damage again.

die

Holy fucking shit, that's the cardinal sin of roguelike gaming you moron.

Either man up and do it right or kill yourself for being such a faggot.

Yeah nah, it gave me the option. It's part of the rules of the game you know.

You contributed nothing and lack reading comprehension. Get out.

The game is designed around using magic. The alternative is only taking on easy enemies and tediously whittling down the bigger ones, moving away to restore HP every so often. Goblin Fighters and Giant Ants are the worst early game and Magic Arrow is really helpful for crippling them before dealing the final blow in melee.

Also you can run Windows 3.1 in DOSBox now, play it in that.

It does but the game isn't so hard you'll die a lot or at all, even on hardest difficulty.

I've played CoQ so if you have any questions about it ask. I'm no expert on it but I've played the same character multiple times and I have a good idea of what the game and the campaign entails. The only things I know little about are the "magical" powers aka mutations.

Aside from the old CRT style graphics, the one thing that absolutely stands out in this game is the audio. It's fucking weird. As in, it's uncomfortable. Especially wandering through the canyons or jungles, the audio "music" and ambient creature sounds they use are really unsettling. After a while you get used it, and I even started to like it. It's like some sandwich have a very distinct and strange flavor, but after a while you come to realize it's the only place to get that kind of impression.

Something you need to listen to in order to really understand. The worldbuilding in that game is top notch, it's probably its biggest strength. I will tell you one thing though, if you go to play it, keep in mind making a dodge tank is far easier and more feasible than making an armor tank.

Oh, in fact, here it is.
Skip to about twenty seconds and let this shit play for a few minutes. Not exactly something I'd call "soothing."

"Save abuse" strongly implies that you're using it to get around permadeath, which is absolutely reason to mock and deride someone in roguelike communities.

It really is a surprisingly good game, even if it's still unfinished. I just love the random shit you can find by exploring like the Swilling Vast or that hidden pyramid that nukes the shit out of you.

It's 95% complete according to memory. There are maybe a couple different unique locations that haven't been fleshed out yet, I know the Garden of Geth is one and the other is that place somewhere in the southern center of the map. And I think there are a few missions at the tail end of the campaign that aren't done? I could be wrong about that. Either way, it's almost entirely complete and doesn't get in the way of enjoying the game or seeing what it's about

Fucking Chromes. The very first highly successful character I had (finished the campaign as it was, explored all locations, etc) died immediately to a Chrome Pyramid. I was exploring underground, and if you know anything about how it's generated, you know that it's feasible to go underground and never come back up because you can keep running into more and more entrances to further screens. Anyway, I was doing that with this character, for shits and giggles, and I walked into another screen and there was one. Up until that point I had been stomping everything for a long time, so I tapped twice and was now two steps into this screen before I realized I was looking at something I hadn't seen before. This was only depth 5 or something.

I saw "Chrome Pyramid" and immediately did what I could to nope the fuck out of there, but I took one step south (I was now on the edge of the screen) and the Pyramid launched missiles. I survived the first two, but the third killed me, and it fired five fucking more after that. A SINGLE misstep killed me because I knew what a Chrome was but not what it looked like, and I was walking too "fast." Not a mistake I'll make again.

My only encounter with one was the one at the corner of the map when I got curious about the path I found that led through what was marked as solid mountain on the overworld map.

This was an earlier version where most of the questline was unfinished and a few dungeons led nowhere, so I was surprised to find something that just straight up blew my badass character out of the sky.

By the by, is there a way to see what's actually at the bottom of the odyssey that is the asphalt mine? I just kept going down and down until my character got set on fire from the ambient heat and got torn apart by fire crabs.

I'm still playing Brogue and loving it, although I've recently started focusing more on the Brogue Fork, Gbrogue.

Dead cells all day every day.

I don't think so. I remember a few people talking about it somewhere before, I know it goes down 100 floors, but I believe the only thing that might be down there is a boss enemy. Still those floors are wonderful for scrap collection and assorted goodies, you walk in there with a mid to mid-high level character and the place is a treasure trove. At some point it gets a little dull once you've gone a few dozen levels hacking through everything in sight, however.

You could make Ball Of Arms Man?!
Someone needs to do this.

Immortal Redneck got an update that enhances the feedback when shooting stuff, it's a surprisingly decent FPS roguelite now (not that it has a lot of competition right now). I'm surprised that this game actually ended up good while Strafe ended up below average because it didn't understand what made FPS fun.

fix gramar pls

I have Cogmind, and it's… Well, I'm not really sure what to make of it. When the dazzle of the initial gimmick wears off, you realize that the game doesn't actually have as much depth as you might expect it to have, since gameplay is almost entirely a case of walking around, shooting bots, and replacing your broken shit as it breaks.

Then again, this might just be a problem with me. My first and favourite RL was Nethack, and I've held every game that professes to be in the same genre up to that standard.

Think of it like this: Any strategy you use that has a 99% chance of success is a bad strategy. Why? Because eventually, the RNG is going to roll that 100, and you're going to be up shit creek without a paddle. Roguelikes are all about optimising yourself so that you have a counter or answer to every single possible chunk of bullshit that the game can throw at you. I see a lot of people play roguelikes and complain that fighting monsters and hoovering up XP never gets them far enough, and that's because you're meant to become a trickster god rather than a war god. (In Nethack, for instance, actively fighting every monster you face is all but guaranteed to cause a loss.)

Did you actually read his post, or did your excitement for BoA Man give you temporary retardation?

This is why so many roguelites fail miserably at trying to emulate actual rogues. Any half-decent rogue will give the player ample items to overcome any obstacle or threat that crosses his path. If the player is smart and patient enough to devise a plan and properly execute it, then every situation will be easy. I've seen people call roguelikes shit because their level 1 character charged at a level 5 orc slaughterer and got mangled to death.

I think I will buy this one just for the soundtrack, it really hits that fallout ambient noise while adding up to the unsettling feeling

You are a scholar and a gentleman. If I had a penny for every chucklefuck that tried to eat a cockatrice corpse, or pick a fight with a black dragon, or do any of the other stupid shit that can be easily handled with a little forethought and planning…

well that was a retarded idea

Apparently robots can beat it with maybe 50% accuracy but humans are just fucking terrible at it for some reason.

Haven't heard of this one, maybe I'll give it a try.

On the topic of obscure RLs, I remember playing a rudimentary AliensRL a long time back. Notably, it used some simple sounds (like stuff moving through vents) to hint at what's going on out of view, and damn if that didn't key up the atmosphere and paranoia.

I beat it on the third try, but I think that's because medics are broken if you get mastery in medical skill. Other classes tend to die horribly, as per a proper roguelike