Mahou shoujo games

Blue reflection looks pretty good. It will be getting an English release in a few months. I don't hear anybody talking about it.
Let's talk about magical girl games.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/872075624873152513
exhentai.org/g/1025204/1cc789d094/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Was that ever any good? I've heard that it has the least characters out of any musou game.

It's weird how few magical girl games there are that aren't shit licensed games.

Why is Yes Precure 5 GO GO so fucking shitty? Jesus I was cruising through all of them before I hit this turd. Even S1 of Precure 5 was vastly superior.

I hope the PC port is decent

Max Heart had a Beat 'em up and a platformer, they're decent.

Bump

Oh wait it's getting a PC release? I thought it was only coming to the PS4 and the Vita.

Yep, Musou Stars as well
twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/872075624873152513

There's a puzzle game.

is there a difference between magical girls and girls using magic?

if so, can both types exist in the same setting?

Mahou Shoujo are girls that wear frilly dresses, have an animal companion, (typically) fly, search for mcguffins, and are very idealistic, both in character and setting. I think that's just about all the basic components. We will not mention the dogshit that has been happening after Megucca's advent because it has not yet firmly established itself.

Girls using magic are just girls using magic, in whatever capacity the setting allows.

Might have to check it out alongside the games mentioned, but I'm not yet at Princess Precure, so not yet.

Magical Girl: Girl who transforms magically and gets powers to fight evil, basically is girly toku.
Girl using magic: Female mages, witches, etc

It's the difference between a knight in shining armor and a sweaty guy on a horse stabbing you in the face.

Kind of, typically when you think of a magical girl the most magical thing about her is that she can transform whatever she's wearing into something frilly with lots of ribbons, plus sometimes use some finishing move that uses fire or lightning or some shit. To illustrate, Card Captor Sakura is a girl that utilizes a wide variety of wizard-tier magic, and that fact is actually one of the main things that make her very unconventional as a magical girl, as most magical girls typically prefer to just beat the piss out of whatever evil monsters show up.
Nigger you can put magical girls alongside orks in your setting if you feel like it, or fuck even have an ork be a magical girl. What the fuck kind of question is this?

Can guys be magical girls?

No, they become karate bugmen.

Go for it.
I thought of a character like that when I was brainstorming for one of my many pipedream ideas but decided against it in the end as the idea of an intense, buff, manly dude wearing a skirt in order to gain the power to fight evil was just a bit too absurd and I felt like it would get annoying to have a character just be a walking punchline that nobody could ever take remotely seriously.
Although you're more likely referring to a character more like the average magical girl, except also with a penis, which I also happen to find amusing.

Magical Genderfluid Snowflakekin

I didn't know I wanted this.
Why do I want this?

is amazon good?

Because green is a cute color for a girl?

Surprisingly good, better than expected anyway. A few of the earlier episodes move a bit slow but never bad enough to suck. Feels like they dropped the usual filler and ran with the concept.

Because it's unconventional and would subvert the genre pretty nicely by having a magical girl that's ugly as sin, ripped as fuck, and basically just the exact opposite of a little girl's ideal fantasy. Only after I posted that did I remember that one webm with the Orc transforming Sailor Moon style, I'd post it if I didn't lose my hard drive not long back.

Oh, the first two episodes kinda slogged on, maybe I should pick it back up. Seems like Amazon gets subbed faster than Kyuranger

How's Kyuranger? Lost touch with sentai and don't know if I want to pick it back up this season

To be fair, I was thinking of something more like a lean female orc that, while still clearly orcish, is somewhat cute.

It's ranges between alright and good depending on which lot of rangers is going out. But when the teal ranger who's a kid fucking sucks, but he fucks off later after a few episodes and only mentioned for key events, so far. Crossovers between the worst kamen rider and a good sentai (haven't seen the big crossover movie however) isn't too bad; good talk I wish /m/ was more alive.

Yeah she could be cute, just pull a Tomoko and have her be ugly in-universe. Have her Orc features be found revolting by just about all non-orcs and her scarred, battle-hardened, athletic body found extremely undesirable for a girl since everyone wants soft and tiny girls to hold and protect.
She works day and night, laboring as an undesired magical girl to protect the largely ungrateful citizens from the forces of evil. Nobody's idol, the ferocious and terrifying defender of justice, Ghurlash-chan! Say what you will, but she gets shit done!
I wanna do this now.

Seems like the concept would work equally well if she wasn't an orc. At that point, people would be left wondering, "why is she an orc?"

Also, the previous idea of the dude in a skirt was much better. Just tricky to handle without falling into absurd comedy.

this thread reminded me that I still have to play Fortune Summoners
I heard it's very soulslike

Good job OP, that's pretty much excatly what I'm looking for. Looks pretty good.
Are there any more games like this? I mean magical girl games that aren't part of a franchise like those Precure spin-offs.

What dogshit even? Them Meguccas can transfrom for a limited time to get a magical power and a fancy costume, that's part of your regular megical girl formula. The fact that shitty writers try to copy it's success by forcing their setting to be dark and sad is a different problem entirely.

A dude in a skirt as absurd comedy has been done already by korezom.

It is and I recommend it but it is more about girl-mages in a fantasy world than about magical girls.

Thanks for the info user. One day /m/ will rise again

Yes, and there is a real danger of it becoming a core component of the Mahou Shoujo genre. Soon enough, if the worst comes to pass, people will be labeling it alongside the animal companion as a crucial trope required for a work to qualify as mahou. That is wrong and must not come to be.

If it hasn't already.

That's different. That's intentional comedy. The dude was worried he wouldn't be able to escape the comedic absurdity of having his serious character wear a skirt. I don't think that's the case.

I feel like being an orc is actually pretty important to her character, since while it's possible to find an orc attractive, they're supposed to be utterly grotesque by design. Therefore you could make her an orc girl that's actually pretty cute but still have a valid excuse for why everyone in-universe finds her mere existence physically offensive. The tricky part is writing Orcs into a mahou shoujo setting without making it generic DnD-lite or generic Dragon Quest, or just saying, "this is the real world except orcs live in it and it's all good."
It could definitely work but it would have to be it's own thing and not take itself too seriously, wouldn't work with what I came up with it for.

I don't think I want it to, look at 4/m/. I'll take my dead board over a shit board any day.

On the topic of orcs, the closest thing would be Tonde Burin. An animu in which the main character basically transforms into a P'orc. Though jokes aside, you have to be careful with a topic like that. A story like that could easily turn into tumblr material.

I doubt it will be more than a fad. Just take a look at vidya for example and how there will be always some that try to copy what's successful. The thing that was successful will be remembered, the copies will be forgotten, the genre will move on to copy the next big thing.

Megucca came out 2011. It's been 6 years now, and we're still seeing grimdark mahou shoujo here and there. Can you really say it's a fad at that point?

It's not an everpresent and ubiquitous aspect of the genre like the animal companions, but if things keep going on like this, it very well might become one.

Yeah I realized it would toe the line as I thought about it some more, you'd have to be extra careful with the characterizations. As I thought about it a lot more I also noticed it doesn't sound like as good of an idea as I originally thought it did, either that or I'm just really shit at this after all and can't find a way to make it not sound bland and uninspired.

Yes, they are even cuter.

Yeah maybe fad was the wrong word and it did certainly have an impact on the genre but it will never overtake everything. It wasn't and will never get as bad as post-Watchmen capeshit.
Time sure flies by.

September 26 it comes out. Gust has realised that the PC is an actual market and have ported of Nights of Azure and 2 Aterlier games.

Sold already. Had my interest but now I'm definitely checking it out.

I thought they become Super Sentai. Boys like action figures and girls dolls, that sorta thing.

Post Avengers movie capeshit is 10 times worse.
That Joss Whedon quirky bullshit humour is seeping into everything, look at fucking Destiny 2, while the game is shit regardless, they're doing the most tryhard shit to get that humour across, holy shit is it forced.

Wasn't magical girl always kinda dark? Rayearth was pretty fucked up. More tragic than grimdark.
But that's Japan for you.

Rayearth was all over the place as it was also mecha and isekai, so I guess it might not have as big an impact on the genre but that's just my theory. I don't know how popular it was at it's time. You are right that there have been magical girl shows with dark elements for a long time but I doubt Yuki Yuuna Yusha or Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku would have been made without Madoka.

I don't doubt that. I was just referring to the dark shift in comics back then. I don't really follow current year +2 comics.

Like that other guy briefly mentioned, I don't think Rayearth had all too much influence on the genre itself. It takes a special show to change the genre itself.

I'd say only CCS, Sailor Moon, Nanoha, and Megucca achieved that feat. My knowledge of magical girls is pretty limited though as I've only just started to go through the older ones. Anyone know of any other shows that had inordinate influence?

NGE?

On Mecha? Certainly.

Yes, that's very true, but I meant solely for magical girls. Should have clarified that.

Thats just it, its not just comics which are dead as fuck for the most part
Its a shitton of media outside them.

Is this goddam site having a seizure again?

exhentai.org/g/1025204/1cc789d094/

Atelier Firis actually had a simultaneous Steam release with the English console versions. Looks like Blue Reflection and any future titles will be the same.

Yes, they're super kawaii.

hows the madoka psp game

Better the thread die to site seizure than Blue Autist again.

why isn't there something like SRW but with magical girls? we could try to sneak magical girlfriends in there too

That sounds fun as hell.

Yeah, that be nnice. Though PreCure would probably fill up more than half of the characters.

Does anybody know any games with character creator in which you can make a magical girl? I mean you can certainly create a female mage in most RPGs but I can't think of any game in which something like pic related would be possible, not even just the design.

Guys become Magical weirdos. Is there even an actual title for these kinds of characters?