That fucking feeling when I play Etrian Odyssey 3 and made wrong party build and can't defeat 1st boss and have to use...

That fucking feeling when I play Etrian Odyssey 3 and made wrong party build and can't defeat 1st boss and have to use cheats.

Other urls found in this thread:

escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.253439-Waveforms-Etrian-Odyssey-III-Skill-Calculator-for-Windows
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

alright first off, what the fuck did you do to your party you can't beat boss 1? Even fucking all monks can beat narmer provided you don't fuck up his gimmick constantly. He's even weak to volt, so I don't have a clue what you're doing. His conditional drop is even beat him with 1 party member!

Gladiator, Hoplite, Princess, Monk, Arbalist (with Volt barrage)
Levels: 14
Got massacrated

No, you go to the guild and redistribute your cheat points. Ailment/elemental immunity is more important than stats.

skill points

that's actually a good party for narmer. I'm actually confused.

I mainly distributed points into passive skills, is it wrong strategy?

Yeah put one point in each passive you want until you reach your 20s/30s unless it is super critical to your strategy and adds something besides (x stat or stat equivalent up).

Yeah, you want your actives to be certain "breakpoint" levels before their SP consumption gets too high. It's a bit of a balancing game where you need to balance your skill's SP consumption with what you want it to do. Also princess' buffs are fantastic but you can only have 3 buffs active at once (from all sources) Debuffs are also fantastic. But most importantly, the Xguards (front/rear guard are better than All guard) that Hoplite has are their best abilities for survivability. The Anti-element skills are also fantastic and should be taken to level 5 once you know what the enemies in that area like to use for elements.

EO3fag here. One of the great things about EO3 is if you're skilled enough you can make any party set up work, and so all kinds of fun runs. That said, that's only something you can get when you understand the full mechanics behind the game and now what you're doing and how to distribute points.

Your party is overall fine for a beginner, the only quirk is having a Princess and Monk. That's a lot of healing and support power you probably won't need.

Despite what the game tells you, Arbalists are not glass cannons, they can take some beating if they have decent armor. I don't know what your rows are, but consider putting Arbalist in front so your Princess and Monk can be in the back for support focusing.

Also, with skill distribution, in general it's better to have more skills than to pump a lot of points into a single point. The reason is because pumping more points into something tends to have diminishing returns. For example, a skill that offers passive healing is a great investment in the beginning because it starts off by giving you 10% passive healing. That's great for one skill point. However, add another skill point in there and you get 13% passive. That's not much. Especially in early game when your options are limited. In general, focus on getting the skills you need asap, and then pumping them up with skill points later to upgrade them.

Also, keep in mind when you invest skill points in a skill, for attacks it might increase the TP of the move. Usually when it does this there's a substantial upgrade in damage or function, but early game this TP increase might really hurt you, so be careful.

Take this Skill Calculator, it'll help you see the effects of Skills, and plan out how you want your team to look. It does have sorta minor spoilers for two classes you'll unlock later though, so if you're really anal about that, there's your warning.

escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.253439-Waveforms-Etrian-Odyssey-III-Skill-Calculator-for-Windows

Hope this helps you user, and don't be a casualfag who has to cheat. Cheating doesn't help your learn and git gud.

for that early on the princess can't really heal well, so it shouldn't be an issue having both. Later on yeah it's too much healing but right now he should be fine

also that's a good write up

So…
Then where do I put my skills points? Especially I'm asking about Barrage and healing skills, how high should I level them up?

It's honestly one of those things you just kind of need to get a feel for. leveling the active up to the "tp increase" usually is a safe bet, then seeing how much it does compared to how much TP you want to spend. and then work from there.
Don't be afraid to rest your dudes if you think you made a mistake, levels are easy to earn later on, especially in EO3 as there's ways to basically AFK grind your guys

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't say don't put more than one in passives, but early game you're not going to get much out of doing so. Trying to do something like "I'm going to max out this Fire spell as soon as possible!" is just going to gimp you, since your character won't have the amount of TP needed to really use that skill enough to make it worthwhile.

Also, another thing I forgot to mention, don't be afraid to use items, especially early game. Stock up on healing items and revives, your Monk will need some time before they become reliable, and even then you'll want one or two for backup in case of a freak accident.

Yes they are. They have shit for health and defenses, and besides that they have no reason to be in the front if you aren't using front mortar yet (and it's obviously going to be a long time until OP is doing that).

You don't know what you're talking about. You should focus on a few key skills, because being able to do something really well is better than being able to do a lot of things poorly. Having access to a ton of different skills at low levels doesn't help when you can only use one per turn. Obviously that doesn't mean that you could only focus on one skills; to use arbalist as an example, you should have point point in all the three elemental attack skills because they're generally good to have for being elemental and party-wide. Since arbalists have shit for HP, their passive skills (giant kill) is a big damage increase on almost anything worth killing, so that's your first big skill point sink once you have your base skills. Aside from the elemental ones, you want to have heavy shot and armor piercer, just for the single target DPS. Armor piercer does more damage and is generally more useful, but heavy shot is much cheaper to use and arbalists have shit for TP, making it useful for non-boss monsters. Then you want to eventually get front mortar and double action for massive DPS, but that's a big skill point sink. You can put some points into proper stance if you aren't hitting often enough. Ambush is a good utility skill but more useful for getting ambushes on endgame FOEs that can murder you as you're trying to get that lucky hammer hit in for their stat book.

In general, do what said and put points into skills until they're about to cost more TP, then do it again until the next TP cost raise once you can afford the TP cost. Putting points into skills with duplicate effects isn't really worth it (the heavy shot in the arbalist example is required for front mortar so it isn't a total waste. On the other hand, getting strafe isn't particularly useful when you already have the three elemental attacks to hit entire parties).

What's the best EO class and why is it Hexer?

Arcanist is awesome too.

I prefer Dark Hunters for binds.

Princess, because I like classes in RPGs that are unlikely to be useful in combat but actually are.
That's why I also like Maids in Dungeon Travelers 2.

I never really liked relying on the luck of getting binds to inflict. Especially on FOEs and bosses, their resistances are so high that you may as well not bother. I like Dark Hunters for abusing climax and not much else.

Earlier games are indeed meh when it comes to landing binds but I had a good experience with Untold 1. My Ronin and Alchemist did damage while my Dark Hunter landed binds and used ecstasy.

untold 1 has diminishing returns

Devs' fault, not mine
My party doesn't suck, they are interesting combination, it's just the game punishes you for not following one and only proper way to beat the boss.

I've done runs where for the entire game the Arbalist was in the front line. They're completely fine front line.

No shit you shouldn't get skills you're not going to use. I don't even get why you're arguing with me since you're only saying a more fleshed out version of what I said. A player should try to get Passive Skill, Attack Skill, and Support Skill first as opposed to maxing out Passive Skill and working your way through to the rest.

Had almost the same setup. Just switch Gladiator for Buccaneer, had a bit of trouble as well since his gimmick threw me off. Don't fret it though, early game is typically difficult in EO games due to the lack of skills to play around with.

Also you are aware that EO is a series where you can use any combination of characters to win, right? There are even solo character runs.

It seemed like you were telling him to put a skill point in a bunch of skills because "diminishing returns". When you can only use one skill per turn, you get a lot more out of that skill being strong even if each skill point isn't making it as strong as the first one.

Let me guess, you kept attacking and using offensive skills on blinded/low health characters, ran out of TP and got utterly fucked? You forgot to invest points in Giant Killer or Shock Arms? You used Arbalest TP for anything that wasn't popping the gimmick or generally wasted all your TP too early? You didn't bring tents to rest in between the two rounds and/or a few TP recovery items? You fell for the "put all your points in Royal Veil" meme and wasted too much effort on keeping the Princess full? You completely misused and misplaced your burst skills?

C'mon, step it up. I guarantee you there's no way you "had" to cheat. In the worst of cases, use the rest function, gaining those levels back is better than restarting the entire game.

If I start with the 3DS games am I missing anything story wise or are they unlinked? I played the first one a long time ago but lost my DS. Only have 3DS now.

The story is practically unlinked, start whereever you want.

God this smug actually old hag loli makes my dick hard

Fuck I didn't know you could do this and I've beaten the game multiple times.

Goddamn I started playing 4 about a week ago and I can't even believe how much fun I'm having, how the h*ck did I miss out on a series this good for so long?

It's always been a really niche series, I've never heard of it outside Holla Forums.
You better not be shittalking best girl.

What party did you make? Did you use some guides in the process?

Just telling it like it is. Not that there's anything wrong with being a pancake though

I'm up to 2 and a half teams now, although any team aside from my primary can't do much aside from easy sidequests. My most used team is F/L/D-M/R, pretty typical I guess, and I tried to avoid using guides as much as possible but after getting my shit pushed in by Kibagami (once) and then by the baboon king (like, half a dozen times) I got kinda pissed and wanted to see if I could find level recommendations. Unfortunately I got carried away and also spoiled myself on how to utilise linking well, how stats affect ailments/binds and how useful ailment boost, mist-dance and squall valley are, but I was already making a link-based sknecht and crit based sniper in my second team anyway (although I was going to make it chase-bind+crits originally). On the other hand I also learnt about the the speed boost/fan dance stacking bug which would've totally screwed over the dancer on my second team, so that was good I guess.
On another note, exactly how retarded is subbing arcanist onto my runemaster? I've done it anyway just for fun, but runemaster seems to have an 'ok' amount of luck (though it still needs tons of luck boosting equip) so when I get to mastery and can max out ailment boost I imagine it'll be more useful hitting the binds than trying to nuke when I'm put up against 3+ similar enemies in random encounters, or powerful piercing/party attack enemies that I can't quite kill one or two turns (to add to this I've got chase bind on my landsknecht as another non-optimal but fun set-up, no-crits doesn't matter so much if a landsknecht is doing the chasing). I've also set my medic to have runemaster as a sub (again mostly just for fun) with the idea of hitting weak to average spells to help agasint phys-resistant mobs and using [element]-rune on stronger enemies with no elemental weaknesses so that runic guidance will still proc on the runemaster's attacks, which doesn't seem to do much but it is novel and kind of enjoyable to see. One thing I'm concerned about though is that I thought I saw volt rune overwrite one of my dancer's buffs once, so I wanted to know if I imagined that or if you're actually limited to only 3 active buffs at a time? If you are limited to just 3 at a time using the element-runes is a pretty raw deal for the small damage buff it gives to my runemaster.
Pure blogposting ahead Team portraits are: Fortress 2A, Landsknecht 4B, Dancer 3B, Medic 1A, Runemaster 2A. Team 2 are: Dancer 2B, Landsknecht 3A, Nightseeker 3B, Wufan and Archer 2A

I see. By the way, what is this anime, Yuru Yuri?

Are you on the second world map? Have you been grinding sheeps?

Yeah you are limited to your three most recent buffs and debuffs, others will be overwritten.

Yes it's Yuruyuri

I finished the 3rd map just recently, I haven't been grinding anything, in fact I've been giving all request/mission completion exp to my second team and I still felt overlevelled for the firelizard boss which probably just means that I'm taking too many trips to clear the dungeons

SHID
That is absolutely fuggin gay.

Nah, it introduces another level of strategy. Plan and pick your buffs. It'd be too easy to spam everything otherwise.

Just bind his hea-

Try using different skills, i guess (princess' shock arms, hoplite's volt element spear skill and arbalist's volt barrage), do you have the princess in the back row to make good use of her passive healing?

Too bad dark hunters binding skills got nerfed hard in 2, never in the entire playthrough outside of dominate I was able to completely bind an enemy.