Sixth Generation Thread

This year's E3 has proved beyond any doubt that the industry is incapable of making a game worth a damn.

Let's reminisce about the last console generation that was actually good.
Which was your favorite? Any hidden gems only you played?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles
forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Wiki-down
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't fucking care if the industry is falling apart because I have a lifetime supply of vidya right here. Currently playing Okami.

And I play the same games with increased resolution, didn't have to pay anything extra.

It all started going downhill once the Playstation brand was created. They have been responsible for every bad practice that's been introduced and forced into the industry.

I bought a 1070 for nothing!

In retrospect, PS2 > Dreamcast > Xbox > Gamecube. In fact, Xbox > Dreamcast > PS2 > Gamecube.

So? Why did you make this post?

It always bothers me that the Gamecube got the best emulator when it's the worst console of the generation. I don't mean that it's bad, it just doesn't have a library as big and as good as the others

emucuck talking about the shittiest emulator since PJ64

To downplay your post? Because I'm depressed and have no friends?

Clearly people with brains disagree with you.

Gee, I wonder what could have been the cause of that.

XBOX was def the best one hardware wise

softmodded Xbox with unleashX and component cables master race here.

The OG Xbox is my actual unironic literal favorite console ever made.

It's a shame Microsoft is completely incapable of cranking out anything but pure unbridled shit since.

Are you saying the answer is autism?

I'll never understand the appeal of this series.

I certainly approve of more discussion of old systems games/libraries, but it's probably better to leave discussing them to threads for the individual console (hopefully without a faggot OP though, given what PS2 threads are prone to), as doing it this way tends to just leave the door wide open for the thread to become console warring, rather than appreciation of what the systems offered on the whole. Just my thoughts though.

I had a Gamecube growing up, but was never allowed to get much for it at the time. These days I have a backwards compatible Wii to handle my Gamecube needs. Unfortunately, the library just keeps climbing in price; I'll still buy games occasionally if I see them at a good price, but it's been quite slow: I think even after five or so years of looking around, I've only got a couple dozen actual physical games as I don't want to pay average prices (or help further justification for how much a game is "worth").

Did get a PS2 maybe a half decade back. Still got plenty to play on it for the first time, considering how big the library was. Thinking of starting up Tsugunai as the next game I play on it.

Found the problem. Should of saved half your shekels and got the latest AMD GPU.
As well as saving a couple hundred bucks, you'll also save having to buy a new house after the current one burns down.

Sega should not have been the one that died.

Yeah, we would have been much better without Microsoft no matter how good the OG Xbox was.

BUT XBONE X COMPATIBILITY user

I dont think buying AMD will make modern games better

DC/PS2/GC/Xbox was the best generation of all times.
I had all the console and every machine had great games.

The thing is that they didn't just have AAA games, but a lot of "normal games" that were actually awesome.

Best gen ever

I was thinking more of Nintendo, but that works too.

Don't worry, not understanding Smash means you have taste.

Favorite is the Gamecube. I fucking love my Gamecube. Best controller and games like Rogue Squadron II, both Zeldas, RE4, Double Dash, Smash Bros, Pikmin, and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. As an aside, the Gameboy Player is the best add-on ever released.

My hidden gen is a multiplat called Second Sight. Really solid game. Really intriguing story and interesting psychic powers shame I get FUCKING DISC READ ERROR halfway through ;_;.

Maybe get a different copy if that's been happening? Second Sight's not exactly expensive, even despite the usual "Gamecube Tax", at least last I checked.

It's fun as hell. The tournamentfags ruin it with Fox spamming. And they ruin controllers quickly and jack up the price.

I'm poor as shit right now, but I think my laser is worn out. Other games which used to read fine are having issues too I take care of my discs meticulously. Gonna open it up and check the laser potentiometer to see if it just needs adjusting.

Always struck me as a bit ridiculous that a game as common as Melee is (even getting a Player's Choice print) would warrant a $50+ price tag these days, but I suppose it's just got that big of demand from people that want to play it in tourneys, or whatever. Also not like it's the only game that has those sort of conditions either (DBZ BT3, for example, is in a similar state as far as PS2 games go, having sold well enough to get a Greatest Hits print but still having demand enough that copies go for $50-60 or so where I live).

Good luck. I suppose worst comes to worst you might need another Gamecube, or hope there's some place/easy way to replace the laser in it.

Would of saved you money you could reinvest into not-shit hobbies.
:^)

This will forever be my favourite game due solely to how damn unique it was. It's such a great formula I'm shocked that hoting like it has even been hinted at since.

Modding a Wii is trivial nowadays. Get full Gamecube support. Depending on what kind of MIOS you use, you can even get support for emulated memcards and be able to use Wii controllers.

Yeah, I know, I have a modded backwards compatible Wii with bricking reversion. I just haven't gotten around yet to trying to get a drive set up with it for use with loaders.

As for the other user, considering he mentions really liking the Game Boy Player, getting his actual Gamecube working again might be more what he wants as that's one of the accessories that isn't compatible with the wii (and perhaps he doesn't want to replace it with a GBA emulator on a Wii).

saving is for the poor

They ran the franchise into the ground. It's an mmo now.

PS2 is a definite winner, Xbox was the loser, the other had gems but didn't quite reach the market as effectively.

I don't care what delusional world you sega fanboys live in but in no way is Xbox the loser in the same generation as the Dreamcast.

Man, PS2fags are still butthurt it had the best multi-plats and made their versions look horrible.

does sega even count? it was dead as a console before 9/11 happened

Blame the autists that have to group the consoles by "generations."

demand is is fucking nowhere near what the price is (which is like 2 to 3 times what an actual gamecube is worth)
smash melee and mario sunshine have enough copies rivaling Gran turismo 3, that shit is worth $10

Higher sale numbers also mean that said console is going to get more exclusives because that's where the money's at. But enough with that, you are ruining the thread.

yet somehow sony never got out of the red and went further down with a ridiculously priced proprietary format that got retconned from existence

And yet Melee is still considered an "in the door, out the door five minutes later" game at one of the better game stores out here, and they've said before that they had to outright stop doing "wait lists" because 90% of the games anyone would request were Melee. Demand certainly seem to be there when the game can be sold at the asking price in under an hour (to the point copies don't always even reach the store shelf and get bought at the counter).

except its as common as wii fit

My cube works pretty well still. Just has a few games it doesn't like. Been playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on it, lately.

Yeah, I'm not denying that it's common (wasn't the adopt rate like 70% that of Gamecube system sales? I'll admit I never had a copy myself). Usually I'd reserve the notion of "$60+ on the aftermarket" to be for actually hard to find games, but Melee not only sells, but sells easily at that high a price. Wouldn't surprise me if reselling kikes keep trying to push that ever higher until its still selling at $80 or so.

And on the topic of Mario Sunshine you brought up before, that's almost at $40 preowned where I live now despite being common too. Glad I got mine for $12.

Ive seen opened "lightly used, missing booklet" go for $100

Makes me glad that high a price has yet to catch on with more places around here. On a related note, I did see one store around here get a copy of BKO in, price it at $100 (about twice what it was going for anywhere else), and it apparently sold maybe a week and a half later. At least that one has the excuse of being actually hard to find (it sold like shit due to being really close to the Wii's release), but again, that was about twice the average price.

Pirate the PC version.

I would, Satan, but I have a deep attachment to my Cube and I always play things on it vs PC versions or remasters.

Xbox was the best console but PS2 had the best overall library just by sheer weight of numbers.

Dreamcast was clearly the best consoles

The only reason the PS2 won was because of all the weeabo cancer

Ah, yes, the Gamecube BIOS.

I had a GameCube and Xbox growing up so I picked up a Dreamcast to see what I missed and I'm probably going to get a PS2 at some point. For now, though, what do you guys recommend on Dreamcast?

We have been there many times
Dynamite Cop, Mark of the Wolves, Jet Grind Radio, Ooga Booga, Power Stone, Rayman 2, Ready to Rumble, Space Channel 5, Virtua Fighter, Shenmue, Gunburd 2, Red Dog, Daytona USA and/or Sega Rally 2, or maybe Metropolis Street Racer, Hydro Thunder if you like water

What were the first 5 generations?

consoles?
you mean computers designed for specific specs and limitations like macs?

yes *tips fedora and places bible in fiction section* my fellow mustard

That's not how you spell Microsoft.

t. butthurt sonygger
PS2 started almost all the bad trends, MS only did paid online, and their initial excuse was dedicated servers for approved games

Meanwhile companies that stay in the green give us promising titles like MarioxRabbids.

I mean that a company that does well tends to shit on their older clientbase to chase that new money now that they are in a position to do so. Any sane company would do the same in that situation.

(checked)
the usual Max Payne and Shellshock nam 67
Dredd vs evil dred. Also persona 3 and 4, smt3 nocturne.

Also there is the xbox exclusive from nipland called Shin megami tensei nine. It was a shame it never came to the west or even got a multiplat.

Also the Hitman games heck Contracts is such a fun game, just the feeling of getting a fast time was amazing and used allot of autism.

681d1d loves his console wars hopefully he loves a time out

smt nine is odd, it's designed to be an mmorpg but for one reason or another, this was cut and the rest of the game is mmo game play in a single player wrapper.

Nigger are you retarded? Those emulators are ass, you're better off getting an OG Xbox or a Wii for those.

Sure thing user, those pops and crackles are the same as the original version. I'm sure the jaggies and other shit is the same as the original and not emulation problems that stem from a poorly coded emulator.

my nigga. Reminded me to dust off my Xbox and play some games. Anything you'd recommend that isn't on the 8ch chart I should download to play?

The NES emulator works good enough and you know it just works, I also have emulators on my PSP, N64 and Wii but I don't really care about getting an OG XBOX because it doesn't seem to have that many games that interest me.

The NES emulator works good enough and you know it just works, I also have emulators on my PSP, N64 and Wii but I don't really care about getting an OG XBOX because it doesn't seem to have that many games that interest me.

The xbox is bad for retro emulation because it doesn't do 240p.

Was it one of the last models or something?

I don't know why you'd bother doing retro emulation on any consoles from the 6th generation. You can get a Wii and softmod it for just about the same price, or just buy an SBC for even cheaper and put Retroarch on it.

Swap magic? It's not 2005 anymore, my dude. Free McBoot software + HDD is where it's at.

I have a fat PS2 with FHDB and OPL but I also got a slim modchipped one for the few games that don't run right on OPL.

On the last chapter of Berserk for PS2. What PS2 game should I play next?

what emulators run on a n64?

Why did the Gamecube do so poorly compared to previous Nintendo consoles, or other 6th gen hardware, for that matter? Will we ever have any consoles as good as anything in 6th gen ever again?

Good choice

Any of these two.

I should get back to that. I was switching between games and accidentally deleted it. Have this exploitable.

It's the only console I keep plugged in. Every now and then I need to play Halo on a duke.

Did you play the second one? And I agree, awesome games. I had never seen battles like that in a game before.

What's wrong with chipmodding? It's cheap and well worth the hassle. Nobody uses swapmagic anymore.

I have ScummVM, NES and Master System.

Normalfag detected. The Xbox had more power. End.

The best console is the one with the better games.
Since people have different tastes in games and genres, the matter is subjective and most people just limit themselves to measuring consoles dicks (sales).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

gran turismo 4 was the best racing game 6gen. i still haven't beaten it yet. I don't even think I'll finish the game in my life time.

online console gaming was a mistake

I heard the Sony press conference sucked, like that infamous in one in 2008 I think

That's not how that meme works. Calling out Sonyfanboys isn't being retarded.

i dont know how you came to that conclusion

Haha, you fucking owned him.

Hey, we should exchange gamertags so we can meet up and play indie games in 4k when the Xbox One X launches.

Nice bait, but I don't play on consoles

Achievements was a mistake, the online part was mkay since the beginning of the online thing on consoles it was still a geek/nerd thing until the feminists latched on.

Remember the my ex gf that was into vidya, not the normalfag ones today. But real jrpgs and she got me into jrpgs.

pee ess double > gc = xbox >>> literally who xd

epic shitpost bro xDDD you really contribute 2 teh quality of the board!!!2!

nintenautism and fanaticism really. no doubt that the gamecube, n64, wii, and wii u, and probably the switch will end up being a console with just a handful of games worth giving a shit about.

I like nintendo consoles but it's hard to deny there's a sense of sterileness to pretty much all of their games, even their best ones. Most of them feel very well made, extremely polished but with that polish they hit no fucking highs.

i had a ps2 during that time, still finding fun stuff to play on it. recently got access to a gamecube though through my roommates and have been keeping my eye open for stuff i missed out on that

I had all 3 growing up, but unlike the PS2 and Xbox, I feel like I already knew every gamecube game by the time I hit image boards. All I'd see is everyone talking about the same games I already knew about, and it kinda dawned on me that pretty much every game was covered well and thoroughly and there is pretty much no sense of discovery to have by exploring the library.

Xbox is something else entirely because all the best games are completely unexpected and it's a thrill.

Gameboy and Gameboy Color were the only Nintendo consoles that matched both quality and quantity.
Otherwise, Sega and NEC for Quality, Sony and PC for Quantity.

Part of why I love the classic xbox is because it carried on that spirit of Sega inventiveness just for a little bit. Super Nintendo and the original Nintendo are also great systems. Since then, it's been pretty down hill. GBA was good tho.

nigger blaming Micro$ for what's happening now is stupid
They had a huge hand in it, but someone had a huge hand in them, as well as all these other companies as well.

nigger blaming Micro$ for what's happening now is stupid
They had a huge hand in it, but someone had a huge hand in them, as well as all these other companies as well.

This. Too bad we'll never get a game like it again. I know Battlefront 2 is gonna have space battles, but I just don't trust EA enough to buy their games anymore.

All you need for CURRENT GEN.

real hardware or fpga, thanks

I could never stomach the SNES library, too many Dragon Quest wannabe JRPGs, ports and games that feel like they belong on DOS rather than a console, while Sega provided a wider variety of genres and stuff to play, hell, even the PC-E had better weeb games.

I know most on this thread who are OG hardware autists who likely live in an american suburb full of thrift shops.

But for those of who don't want to pay 1000€ for second hand hardware or 500€ for shit hardware, Microsoft is going to be bringing HUEG emulatiom to PC as well.

and I hope it's fantastic and can finally put to rest the autistic belief that the xbox was just halo and fable when in reality it carried on the spirit of the dreamcast.

ninja gaiden black time baby

Protip for americans:Go to goodwill You won't find shit past PS2, but a big chunk of my xbox collection came from it.

But this is assuming they let you use discs, and not do rebuy shit like sony does,

Only on windows 10

Theres always dual booting from an empty Drive.

You need a fan and heatsinks for the Pi 3 or it'll heat up and throttle itself. There's a case that comes with one on Amazon for half the price.

One of my favorite games still. I haven't found another flight combat game that plays as good. Not a hidden gem at all, tho.

What happened to the PCSX2 wiki?

Idort for life, fags.

Somehow I doubt they'll bother to get the entire original Xbox library working, similar to how only some games were even backwards compatible with the 360, and even then it could be spotty. I'd expect the focus to also be on getting really popular, best selling games working, rather than stuff like Otogi 1 and 2. Just my thoughts; admittedly I didn't bother with watching the conference, so I'm not sure if they elaborated on how they're doing it, or what all they aim to cover with it.

Going from a thread on the pcsx2 forum, it would seem that after some server maintenance or something, the wiki doesn't like the version of PHP they're running. The wiki's disabled until they can get it to run better.
forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Wiki-down

The only games I ever see at Goodwills around where I live are licensed shit and shovelware that no other stores here will take. If memory serves, a few years back a tech and media focused branch of Goodwill opened somewhere on the east coast, and a lot of the actually worthwhile games got sent there to be sold at then going-rate prices, as opposed to being cheap.

I use S-Video, myself. What games look best with better cables? I'm trying to figure it out and see.

If you have a 480p capable TV it'd be worthwhile to try component cables.

I prefer S-video, since component tends to look washed out at time. My TV doesn't support component, anyway.

I've lucked out a few times at Goodwill. Got Red Faction 2, Crimson Skies, and some DDR titles on a few visits. It's worth a shot, man.

This isn't 2006, user. Although I did find Dragon Quest IX for a dollar at a pawn shop, once.

Well, congrats to you then. But I've given it a shot before; Goodwill, Savers, pawn shops, thrift stores, etc, out where I am are all absolute shit for video games. If it's not just people dumping stuff off there that they can't get money for at other stores, either we've got daily reseller scum making rounds and buying up anything that isn't a movie game, CoD, sports, or shovelware to hock on their Amazon or Ebay accounts. Or maybe that east coast media focused Goodwill still siphons off anything good the standard Goodwills occasionally get. Not sure, but I've had much better luck with actual multimedia stores, and that's despite them being all over the place with prices and selection being a crapshoot. Still, it might not being getting games for $1 or 2, but I'd much rather pay $12 for something of interest to me, than the general $50+ average other places tend to ask for the same game in the same condition.

Haven't really looked into their prices on Xbox games as I don't have the system myself, but I'd wager those to be pretty damn cheap there as it's not as popular a system to pick stuff up for as the PS2, or worse, the Gamecube these days.

Probably not.

Depends where you live. Where I'm at is flooded with 90s kids the type that watch nostalgia critic and jerk off to AVGN so goodwill is empty of games 99% of the time. Occasionally there will be 1 ps2 game.

It's just fucking annoying though because it's basically impossible to find any retro games thanks to youtubers. Fuck, even the used games stores are starting to take in tvs, musical instruments, etc turning into glorified thrift shops, because their shelves are empty. 5 years ago they actually had N64 games. Now if they have an N64 game, it's either one of the 10 in the case for $50-$100 or it's a sports game. Anything else by some freak accident, if you don't grab it it'll be gone.

Honestly makes me glad that I know of some options to find older stuff at locally. Sure, some of them are shit that opened up to hock old games at hipsters with too much money and too low of impulse control, but a few are actually pretty decent. Can't really find good prices on anything prior to fifth gen (home console-wise, I mean) though, regardless of the store here. Really though, the scalping is a problem that feeds into itself, as people with little patience for good deals keep picking up overpriced games, and the resellers keep trying to push prices higher to see what they can get away with (and thus prices keep getting higher). E-celebs and LP faggots don't help either by further bolstering demand amongst their audiences.

I'd suggest to give multimedia stores a try, especially if their game selection isn't exactly the highest priority for them.

There's still lots of great places to find games from 6th and previous gens if you're willing to look a bit off the beaten path. Comic Book and Hobby shops often have classic game collections. The only problem is that usually their stuff has been on display for so long, the plastic is starting to yellow and the art on the boxes is fading on some titles. Quality is a bit of a mixed bag, but at least you can go in and inspect them for yourself before buying. Spending money on local businesses who will turn that cash around into improving their store and hosting more local events is never a bad thing.

We have a comic book store in my town with a pretty sizable game selection. At least 400 old OG Xbox games, most of which available for under $10. Their bread and butter is MTG tournaments and D&D/W40k nights, but in their off-days they set up a row of classic consoles and have co-op play with anything you bring up from the shelves as well as host local fighting game tournaments and LAN parties.

And the best part is that the average shithead doesn't know a thing about them, so they get pretty autistic without having to try to cater to the Bazingas.

Most comic shops where I live have gone under, or are likely too close to stores that do stock old video games for people to want to trade them in to there.

y/pb/pr and rgb by definition look better than s-video which is just chroma/luma separated. s-video will look more washed out.

Especially considering the clarity benefits of 480p and up.

i fav your fav fam it is built like a brick shithouse try overheating it. you cant. i dunno how the next console was so shitty

But it doesn't. And whether or not it looks better depends on the game.

nah, objectively false.
-t. someone who has spent the past year studying analog video signals

Interlaced signals and combined color signals will produce blurrier results. This is a system which is capable of 480p in every game except one, and some games up to 720p and 1080i.

You mean the no-fun fags who only play on a flat stage with no items because "muh esports"?

Nigga you playing on a PS2, those jaggies were always there.

Top Tier:
Dreamcast

High Tier:
PS2

Mid Tier:
Gameboy Advance

Low Tier:
Xbox

Shit Tier:
Gamecube

Update (same user): Cleaned my laser and all's good. Finally made it through the "Madness" level without it crashing.

Why is the Dreamcast top tier?

Sex

Xbox

heh, so the gameboy advance can play every xbox original game known to man and also emulate with some success even dreamcast games?