Jet Set Radio

Had never played Jet Set Radio before but always seen people praise it. They released it for free on steam a while ago and I just got around to trying it.

People just like it for the aesthetic and the music right? The gameplay is incredibly clunky to the point of giving me hand cramps. The auto rail grabbing is fucking terrible and a point of great frustration. Momentum is super wonky in general.
Aiming for different rails is pretty much impossible once you're in air and requires trial and error to find the exact spot and speed.

I've been playing for a few hours to make sure it wasn't only a git gud issue. I've improved but the fucking rail sticky system is just plain awful. Haven't had a game make me as mad as this game has for a long time.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamestorrent.co/hover-revolt-of-gamers-codex.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's one of those meme games.
You're not actually supposed to play it, just pretend you did and act all elitist about it.

It's fun but this
You either play it or not OP no need to jump on the hate it or love bandwagon

It's not known for it's controls, though I'm pretty sure you need to git gud.
Apparently the sequel is much better but I've never played it.

Jet set radio future is the one people remember.
Jet set radio is a clunky mess with some music that I personally do not like and character

The more time goes on the more I am convinced the dreamcast was a meme console.

Most of its best games were either mulitplatform to begin with or got ported to something else later.
It was basically home version of capcom arcade machine.

It's fun for killing some time, but yeah, it's incredibly dated.
The controls are so fucking clunky and unreliable.
All it really has going for it is that "retro appeal"

You might want to check the sequel instead. It's heaps better, trust me.

aiming for rails gets a lot easier once you realize that what direction your holding before you jump off the rail heavily affects what direction you fly off in. Also you dont need to line up yourself with the rail, as long as your not at a 90 degree angle when you hit it you'll grind.

Still waiting on that Skies of Arcadia PC release SEGA.

It's a game that appeared when the Tony Hawk's video game series were highly popular.

I didn't give a damn about Tony Hawk's games back then, so I didn't even try JSR.

Maybe I should?

Pretty much this
The undeniably good thing about it is the music. The gameplay consists of pointless busywork that isn't challenging or engaging.

Like others said, the sequel is the superior one. Hopefully they port it.

So much this. It is up there with dwarf fortress and EYE in terms of meme hipster appeal.

Agreed, one can only hope for a port, Thankfully i still have my original so in the mean time I will continue to play it when i feel

I love Jet Set Radio, but yeah I think it's fair to say that the gameplay is pretty lackluster. When it came out it was acceptable, but these days if you've been with the game since launch it might be nothing more than a minor nuisance, and if you're brand new to it then it's probably going to be incredibly frustrating.

The game is pretty shallow overall, and it really does benefit from rose-tinted glasses. I still thoroughly enjoy the game, but again that's because it's mostly a nostalgia thing and I played it when I was a kid. If Sega got off their asses and did JSR3 I would expect them to address the gameplay from JSR and make it better. If it was precisely like the first one, I'd probably be pretty disappointed.

Calling games that are generally liked her "meme games" doesnt say anything except that you are a huge faggot who doesnt like a game and tries to act high and mighty about it. OP you should try hover, its only a 2 GB download gamestorrent.co/hover-revolt-of-gamers-codex.html

I tried it on PC a while back, with a controller. Among other things, it had this massive problem where you would hold the control stick at, say, a 45 degree angle and jump, and your character would jump at a 90 degree angle. It makes the game practically unplayable.

Just emulate the dreamcast nigger.
Also, this

You jump and then move the stick. I can understand people having problems with the controls but not to the extent people in this thread are complaining about them. It's a simplistic arcade style game and people shouldn't be finding it that hard.

The problem is that you're playing it as an extreme sports game but it's actually a platformer. I just had to get used to it, and I ended up being able to jump from rail to rail really nicely; sure, there was still some frustration here and there, but I got over the majority of it. I'm still hoping SEGA will get around to porting JSRF sometime in the future, that way people can stop bothering Hideki Naganuma about it on Twitter.

Speaking of games of this sort, did that Hover: Revolt of Gamers kickstarter end up being any good? I know Naganuma himself did some tracks for it, and it looks like maybe the next best thing to a new Jet Set game

JSRF was better.

You are absolutely correct. These dubs don't lie.

But EYE is actually fun with friends as long as you treat it for what it is, cyberpunk Serious Sam. If you go into EYE expecting Deus Ex, you're going to hate it.

Stay away from it you nazi prick

Why would you even make the controls that pants on head retarded? I can't think of a single other game that doesn't let you jump in the direction you hold the control stick.

Don't worry. I'm sure Sega'll let you play Jet Set Radio Future on the brand-new Xbox One X.

You are everything wrong with this board, this mindset is the reason why we can't have nice things. It justs fosters cynicism and the stupid old "meme" of "Holla Forums doesn't actually play games".

The game is even worse that way you dumbfuck. EYE will always be a broken Deus Ex with some neat ideas hampered by general jankiness.

Dubs of truth. JSR may be clunky but if you're having that hard of a time with it, stop playing games.

Christ where are you cucks coming from?

JSR was ok for it's time but limited by nothingy gameplay even then, there was a lot of shit to find though so it tickled that obsessive region of my brains for a while all the same.

You got lost in translation user.

This game is relevant for being the first game to include cell shading in-game (Worms 2 had cell shading in the intro, but not in-game).

Other than that, I haven't played it so I can't say if it's actually good.

yes absolutely. It was a mediocre game that only looked good and had fun music. I had some fun for 4 hours and that was pretty much it. Just below average

Evil men like you dont deserve to listen to it.

$0.5 have been deposited in yor account

While I am perfectly willing to admit JSR had problems (I've only played JSRF, which was itself rather primitive, so I imagine JSR was worse if anything), the mentality of "don't bother playing it, just lie and pretend you know about the game" is fucking cancer and anyone seriously thinking that way should fellate an angle grinder.

I don't think he speaks English.

It looks good and sounds good. Nobody really ever believes that it plays good however.

Didn't you hear? Everything made before 2007 is a meme game. :^)
If this thread isn't a sign we are being raided by low energy shitposters then I don't know what is.

Yeah the controls and camera are awful. Some of the music is ok but a lot of it is garbage. It's like babbies first urban/hiphop just like crazy taxi had babbies first pop-punk.

No, most of its best games came from arcades. Accurate arcade ports were a rarity back then. And it remained the MvC2 machine for years to come.

AAAAAAAA

I had control problems for like the first hour or two but when I got gud and stopped trying to play it like it was Tony Hawk it got a lot better. I ended up having a ton of fun with it so I really don't know what your issue is.

The JSF soundtrack is a bit more experimental than JSRF in my opinion. It's harder to find a song with mass appeal to spam in music threads.

OH I CAN SEE THEM RUN BOUT THE TOWN

That song made my fucking day the first time I head it.

Kill yourself OP. I just love how it is scrubs that can't get good that use the "clunky" excuse whenever they dislike a game that most anons like and you just had to make a thread to tell us just how much you don't like the game, didn't you? Just like those threads with faggots complaining about Deus Ex or the Paper Mario TTYD one a few months back

JSRF was much better in every way from framerates to the pace of gameplay.

The game is something that goes best if you have something to think about while playing it. A sort of "zen" game. If you don't like the music I would suggest dropping it unless you want to give listening to your own music a shot. I can say with confidence that there are no hard controls or mechanics past 5 hours in this game. If you want to give this game a shot just keep playing.

JSR > Future

according to who?

I just wish Sega would finally fix saving for the PC version of the game. I tried a fix a while ago but nice dice.