D E E P E S T L O R E

Ok, so I know I'm late as fuck to this party, but how the fuck do players of Dark Souls piece together item descriptions to build coherent storylines?

I just watched a Dark Souls lore video, and some corpse that had some sweet armor was apparently this brave knight from another kingdom who braved a lot of shit but fell off a ledge because of his armor.

Like wtf why can't that just be a dead body with some loot or why can't the game just be like "Oh shit, here lies Doofus McButts, press F to pay respects". Instead, I get as much out of the game as I did Ghosts and Goblins yet autismos on the internet make this arcade hack'n'slash platformer out to be an epic to rival Lord of the Rings.

How the fuck do you have that much free time? How the fuck do you spend it analyzing and cross-referencing filler gibberish that at best gives you a skeletal semblance of a story and build epic, sweeping tales as detailed as if it were a cutscene?

Fuck.

Because cutscenes and text interactions take too much time away from gameplay.

You know that one line from avgn, "We're gonna need a bigger ass to shit out this turd"?
That's basically how the autists "piece" together the "coherent" storylines. It's all just a bunch of random loosely connected bullshit that's somehow been made popular by whoever the fuck started this shit ass trend. It's game theory tier.

The only game whose lore made sense was Dark Souls.

First off,

Second, most items come with descriptions that give you some qualitative information about the item. So when some piece of armor says 'worn by the knights of X,' you can probably deduce that the corpse you found it on was a knight, probably from the land of X.

Finally,
You type like a teenager. Take your medicine before you post next time.

What
You'd probably love bethesda's and their "random skeletons in cool poses" shit too
Lorefags are disgusting

What armor are you talking about specifically, because some of them actually do have characters behind them.

Judging by the "fell off a ledge" bit, they're probably referring to Black Iron Tarkus

Yup, that's it, Satan

Nah, I don't like Bethesda games, except WET. Fantasy realism was never my cup of tea, Tamriel was never a place I wanted to live.

Unless you're milking jewtube for shekels, you pick that shit up by just playing the game normally. Most people don't sit there sifting through everything analyzing every little thing and cross-referencing - you just remember things you read and then things sort of click together in your own personal head-canon later on.

If you forget shit that you've read multiple times, on the other hand, you might just be an ape.

Yeah, but how do you know Balder is a country? I don't see Balder knights as knights of Balder, I see it as the difference between a koopa and a winged koopa, just another enemy variant to plow through

But dork souls is.

Not really to be honest. The world doesn't really interest me, just the boss battles.

Black Iron Tarkus was an adventurer who along with three others attempted to break into Anor Londo, but never could. Once you defeat the Iron Golem he later gains entry, and dies. He hollows, and never comes back for his armor. That's basically it.

By reading the item descriptions you fucking adhd tard.

Sometimes DaS lorefags (particularly the youtubers that make money off of it) go off unsubstantiated tangents and fanfic, but you could at least try not to be a nigger and read what's easily available.

as an archaeologist, dark souls is legitimately my favorite game because of the way they did lore

I really want someone who knows more about medieval metallurgy than me to go over the lore about bradden steel et al in Dark Souls 2 because I'm pretty sure it's all analogs of the actual metallurgical development of Europe

Because the descriptions make references and human being developed a brain capable of piecing together information to form a whole.

How can you even remotely consider that any of the Souls games have platformer elements? You jump twice in Dark Souls and that qualifies a platformer? I'd like to know the depths of your mind in order comprehend your autism.

Dark Souls lore only gets love because of how its portrayed. If it was more cutscene based or just more clear, people wouldn't care.

You know you can shoot a bow in a first person perspective in Dark Souls so it's also a first person shooter.
And you can also speed run it so it's technically a racing game too!

Oh yeah, I'm so stupid! I wasn't briefed about how every game has so many genres in it that the set standards of them became totally obsolete. OP is a genius for going with the time!

BUT HOW DO IT KNOW??

You and the archeologist upthread should team up, you've got a mind for this.

What a fucking kid thing to say.

Someone post SM64 QPU video

This better be fucking bait

Thomas the Tank Engine Lore > Bionicle Lore > Mario Lore > Pokemon Lore > Touhou Lore > Zelda Lore > FNAF Lore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls Lore

I mean I know this post is a joke but old Bionicle lore was unironically better than any of the stuff you have posted there. More depth than the rest of it too.

Yeah I know. Bionicle and Thomas the tank engine are the only legit ones on that lest
Seriously Thomas has a stupidly deep lore to the point where the original author showed how different events throughout history tied into the series, shit like both world wars. He even created his own medieval history that blends into actual history.

That's just classic environmental storytelling. Some people like to figure it out while others don't give a shit and move on. It's cool either way and doesn't get in the way of the players. Good storytelling used to be done like that, instead of infodumping with cutscenes, audiologs, and random NPCs narrating huge piles of exposition like today's shithole RPGs and shit.

How did you become aware of this, user?

Whelp, when a description says "the [insert here] is sworn enemy of the [insert enemy or boss here]" and you only ever encounter that creature in a specific spot at one specific place then it's pretty much just putting two and two together. Logical deduction, of course they don't do revised videos with DSIII dropping those revelation bombs.

How hard is it to just put two and two together.
Unless you fly off the handle, most of this is just basic reasoning skills.

A few weeks ago a saw an article on a news site about how they were adding a train with autism kek to the show. I haven't even paid attention to the series I was a kid and decided to read up what has changed in 20 years since. That's when I discovered the lore autism regarding the books.

While we are here do you have the autism required to share the story with us?

did someone say lore?

He is a tank engine.

You know what is the biggest problem with Dark Souls lore? It doesn't concern you. These guys fought with dragons, those guys tucked their waifu into painting, this one faggot made a 3D photo of his sister who cucked him with some dragon, none of this concerns the player.
All you do is walk around killing shit, that kinda devaluates all this though put into history of the world.

To contrast in moonman's games lore naturally merges into and continues through game's narrative and player's direct actions. You're weaving the lore in real time in Drakengard/Nier games, while in souls games lore is something that happened besides your action.

There's also the fact that items come with a wiki page of information that makes no possible sense as to why you the player could know these things just from looking at the item.

The same could be said for the Weapon Stories, where do they "come from"? It's not as though the characters are aware of them.

Most of the weapon stories are basically just cruel fairy tales. Especially the Drakengard ones.

I don't think I remember reading on wiki anything that didn't make sense to me or came out of nowhere, but then again I'm pretty autistic and like to piece shit together myself.
The only thing that caught me off guard was the whole "Gwyn's firstborn is Solair/Andre/definitely somebody from the game" meme, because everywhere it was said that firstborn fucked off and stayed away.

Hilariously enough Dark Souls 3 proved my 100% "theory", which was said in plain fucking text all over the first game.

Thomas the Tank Engine was originally a novel series, you know, right?

Bionicle's lore was made with love and careā€¦ up untill 2009 when Lego pulled the plug on the franchise

Those stories were a whole new world

I remember one of the more famous lore video ecelebs propose a "theory" that the Abyss Dragon is the nemesis of the Millwood Knights. When it fucking says right in one of their item descriptions it was the Abyss Dragon. That faggot that ribs off Anons who did a better job pulling good theories together even noticed that.

it's almost entirely flavor text. Dark souls, especially the first one has a very strong design first, story later feel to it. Everything story related feels bolted on later, they didn't even animate character model mouths.

taro games on the other hand, well, he's a writer first and foremost, so the game part acts as a vehicle for the story.

Oh you mean weapon stories from Nier Tomato? I always assumed they are about side characters from Drakengard 2 and 3, but I don't know since I didn't play those two games, especially since I recognized stories of Drakengard and Nier 1 characters.

I gotta say it takes special kind of talent to take Holla Forums's autism and turn it into money, fame and hatred from anons. Watching people losing their shit over it never gets old.

I don't mean the sources of the stories, I mean how/if the characters are supposed to know them.

This is pretty happy. The guy scored fucking twins. In Japanese, the name of the sword is Debol'popol

I don't even think characters are supposed to know or perceive them in any way, they are purely for player.
Especially there are both stories for papa Nier and fuckboy Nier.

I don't think you'll ever find any stories regarding Drakengard 2 that don't involve everything in that game getting fucked to oblivion.
From what I remember the happy endings of that game got continued into having Nowe be a depressed loner who got dumped by everyone or something.

Justice is served.

Can't imagine why you wouldn't get it. Absolutely baffling; no possible explanation. Stop typing like a cuckchanner and lurk before you post you Adderall-addled autistocrat.

Enlighten me

Go back to leddit, I hear they are concerned with much more important things like how you can get 10% discounts on DLC for No Meme's Sky

I like Wild ARMS lore, from 1-4 [written by the original staff] they gave you just enough information to reconstruct the timeline (it goes 1-3-2-4). Cecilia's intro dungeon in WA1 (the original, not even the remake) actually has a couple of books that contain a summary of the plot of WA3 in it (demon queen uses the Yggdrasil system to try to take over the world).

Long story short, Filgaia (which was originally Far Gaia, but had an in universe l/r substitution over time) is a world that has been colonized by several waves of post-humans. At some point in the future, humans will gain nanotechnology and some will fuse themselves with machines. A group of humans who used this to gain affinity with animals and plants (and essentially become fucking elves, including having knife ears) fled because they were being oppressed by high tech groups. They colonized Far Gaia and established the Guardian spiritual-ecological maintainence system. Imagine a cross between a terraforming system and an afterlife that lets you summon the dead in spiritual/beast form humans are the Guardians after all Those machine-rulers turned Saturn into a giant space computer made of comptronium called Hyades. This made a lot of people in the solar system unhappy, so they fled in great arks. A few of them landed on Fargaia/Filgaia and then oppressed the hell out of the Elw.

However, a few thousand years later a Hyadian Mother probe tracked down the ships and attacked, spawning shit tons of monsters and the main metal demons from the series. She gets put down and sealed away, leading to the plot of WA1. However, even after defeat she left access to the demon internet, the archives, where dream demons (digital back ups/aggregates of personalities) plotted to become material and fuck everyone over. One of them, Beatrice, hijacked the Yggdrasil system (an artificial Chock that lets you reroute the guardian system) and got put down by cowboys. However, in her rampage, she released the seven Disasters (or Cylsmians, inverse Guardians), one of whom, Blaze, survived to terrorize the world in the time of the Sword Magess and the time of the Agile Remote Mission Squad. After the peace that occurs after the globalist sorceror, Irving Vold Valeria, seals the Kuiper Belt and has his team destroy Lord BLazer, a few decades of peace are followed by a century and a half of Cold War, which ends with one side accidentally Chernobyling itself. XF takes place after and doesn't add much to the lore (except that the Elw now have interdimensional ships) and 5 isn't canon.

Fuck me, here's the shortest version I can possibly give to fit in 10 years of this bullshit:

So the original setting is on an island, right? And you have these six tribes that each represent one of six elements. And they have wise leaders, and this one asshole who's trying to ruin things by infecting monsters on the island into attacking the villages. And this shit isn't like "oh boy, some wolves", it's like "villagers made of 12 lego pieces vs giant monsters made of 400 lego pieces". But then one villager calls these heroes who are made of 30 lego pieces in capsules, and they put themselves back together after all of their organic parts rotted, and they heal up, fight amnesia, and save everyone. They beat back the asshole, and collect masks of power, and so on.

Well, then they get their powers taken for a while, and end up fighting this super monster that has all sorts of powers and is a hybrid of other things, and one of the old leader guys shows up and turns invisible and gets the thing to kill itself because it's mad at him, and you're like, well shit, how did this happen? And then there's a seventh hero with laser beam powers, and he fights the asshole 1v1 in a sports match. But the asshole doesn't take the win and decides to kill everyone instead, so the two fuse into one person in a pool of silver shit (which gave the main heroes superpowers earlier) and lift a giant door that kills them, and then it turns out the island they were on was trapping them from returning to a city underground.

Well, turns out EVERYTHING is underground, including hundreds of (much smaller) island and two continents. And the wise leaders were actually heroes when they were younger but before that they were normal citizens in this city, and they gave up their power to save everyone. By the point they were driven up, the city was destroyed, and there was a massive genocide across the entire underground universe by magic spiders that mutate people. And that one asshole? He's just the leader of an organization of other assholes that's responsible for doing this. During the 1000 year span between events, his organization has been at war with the biggest criminal syndicate in the universe, because the asshole and that groups leader got in a fight over a mask with time powers that the guy who turns invisible made when he was still a hero, except that guy escaped with the mask because of a MAD threat and got a couple years of "please don't attack us" out of it.

Flashback to the present, the current heroes get BTFO by skull faces, after going to ANOTHER island on the surface that got shot up, to find a mask with life powers because god is dying. And then some new guys have to go take care of that, but they also have lightning powers, and were originally villagers from the original set. And then it turns out that that island was shot out of the chest of god, who is actually a giant robot. And the one island they were on? It was a disguise for his face. And these robots they fought before? They were just trying to clear it so they could wake him up. Oh, and apparently this great earthquake that killed lots of people (there was an earthquake, not just spiders) was because the robot crashed into a planet, which just happens to be one of the three fragments of the original planet it was built on by wizard-scientists so they could rebuild their planet after a giant war fought over that same stuff that gives people super powers.

It also turns out the asshole knew all of this because one of his friends talked to Bionicle Cthulu and learned the secrets of the universe, and his whole plan was to possess the giant robot body and become god. And then he succeeds at the last minute, even though his minions almost fuck it up, and it turns out the whole last three years of story is just a fuck you to the good guys for falling for it. So god gets stuck in the life mask and goes to the desert planet, where the locals teach him about shit and he helps them stop an invasion of muslims by killing Bionicle Giganigga with a backstab. Then they unearth a prototype robot and the asshole shows up with the original body, and the planet gets combined, but the asshole gets brained and the body collapses to the planet, and now everyone lives happily every after.

Except for all of the plot threads that never got concluded when the story ended, like who actually survived the massive holocaust when the asshole took over the universe, or what sort of government would develop, or the small fact that one of the wizard scientists stowed away on the robot and was the only reason anything in it developed personality and consciousness instead of being robot slaves, and a bunch of other crap.

By the end of the series there were about twenty elemental powers, a couple hundred characters, a few dozen locations, and more stuff unwritten than not.

To put the shit that makes you follow this diagram in context, this is a trilogy of first-person shooters by Bungie released in the 90's where you go around killing aleins at the behest of artificial intelligences. Need I explain more?

Everything's power level should be counted in lego pieces