NintendoVS

So, Nintendo is finally picking up on competitive gaming, but focuses on Splatoon and ARMS rather than Smash Bros, which is actually popular and profitable.
How ass backwards can one company get? Splatoon was fairly popular, but it never took off competitively. Do they really expect there to be a competitive ARMS scene?
Can someone explain the reasoning here, because I'm at a loss.

I believe they are capitalizing more on the Online Matchmaking scene than the competitive scene, and it is being misconstrued as the competitive scene with it's ego portraying itself to be of more importance than it actually is.

competitive gaming just means spending lots of money promoting your product with tournaments. it's not like it matters to any publisher which games might develop a scene on their own.

They should make Nintendo VS SNK

Super Marco Sunshine

ARMS is Wii Boxing with walking and grabs, I don't know how are they going to pass that as competitive.

Super Smash Bros & SEGA All-Stars

They should do this I bet it totally wouldn't suck.

I bet a game like that would be FuCKING HORRIBLE.

Maybe we could finally get rid of the cancer that is SSB, maybe it can be removed finally from EVO.

you said it yourself, smash bros is hugely profitable and popular.
they dont want to ruin that.

Have you not been paying attention to what this company has done in the last decade?

Because nintendo is the casual's console. not saying all of the games are easy, but the vast majority if the people who buy these consoles are not just bad at games, theyre not really gamers, and the last thing most of them are is competitive.

i think nintendo is afraid of alienating fans by creating notoriously rude fanbases.

this has been nintendo's new motto "appeal to casuals" just compare super mario sunshine to mario galaxy, then the kitty cat mario.

there are people on here that will defend nu-tendo.

Most drones here completely ignore Nintendo's faults. We have people here right now defending the Switch as innovative. I shit you not.

who gives a flying fuck about that walking corpse

Their reasoning is Nintendo does not consider Smash Bros. to really be a competitive game at all, it's one of those games where a competitive scene blew up completely out of nowhere. Hell, the competitive scene for Smash Bros. is usually centered around Melee, and because of the cliques and general autism surrounding Melee nobody likes it except other Melee players. Last I recall there's organizations like EVO tripping over themselves to include Melee because of those cliques, often excluding actual fighting games for it or ignoring they've already got other Super Smash Bros. games in the roster.

There're people that'll defend the PC market, Steam, Sony, and Microsoft too, get outta here console-warring nigger.

And they're just as retarded. What kind of argument is this?

Nintendo doesn't see smash bros as an esports game, they see it as a Mario Party title.

The poster you're replying to is trying to cancel it out and make it seem like it's ok. "If [x] does it, why shouldn't [y]?"

So THIS is the magic of loving traps, at last I finally see.

ARMS and Splatoon are about as competitive as Smash so what's the problem?

Also, when will Ubisoft finally push for UNO at EVO?

Mr Wizard loves ssb because they get tons of entry money because there isn't much cross over from melee and sm4sh. They got rid of sf4 as quick as they could because they knew that anyone playing sf4 would also be playing sf5 so they wouldn't get any extra cash.

The problem is that Smash has been played competitively for over a decade and even Smash 4 has a huge scene. Nintendo trying to push Splatoon and ARMS and ignoring where the money's at is absolutely retarded.

No, I'm trying to tell you "to get the hell out of here with the console-warring." Perhaps you read what you want to read and not what's actually there.

The entire FGC is a joke

Why would you try and push a game that has had a director and team that have actively made all games focused towards mass appeal and simplistic gameplay?

I agree, almost the entire FGC is tainted by niggers, the only good part of the FGC is the Chinese/Korean/Japanese community.

Life must be rough.

and aside from steam, you wont see people on Holla Forums defend their shitty practices , unlike nintendo.

i dont get what you mean, how is the cancerous fighting community an example of "having fun"?

The whole point of pushing a game into the competitive scene is to promote it and make it more profitable. Smash is huge, running tournaments and all sorts of shit for it isn't going to make it sell more. In fact, I bet the attachment rate for Smash Bros blows every single Nintendo game out of the water that isn't bundled with the system.

Now imagine Nintendo crams Splatoon into some other competitive FPS shit like cs:go. And imagine what happens if those people who watch cs:go see Splatoon and find it more interesting? All those people probably think the game is gay kiddie shit since it's colorful and by Nintendo. But if they actually watch it and find it interesting, they are more open to it.

Same deal with ARMS.

It's all marketing. Everyone knows who smash is. I can promise you more people know about smash then Tekken, KoF, Guilty Gear, etc. There's no point for Nintendo to spend money promoting Smash.

Smash autists only care about Melee, if Nintendo wasn't pushing that they wouldn't bother with it.

I don't think anyone who enjoys CS:GO gives a flying fuck about Splatoon. ARMS may have some crossover players from Pokken, but I think it's mostly disconnected from the larger fighting game fanbase.
This is speculating, but if they are to release a new Smash game for the Switch, it would make sense to build up an established scene for Smash 4 and to promote that game, so players get interested and have that carry over into whatever they put out on the Switch. There already is a big scene, but Nintendo are completely ignoring the market.
Hell, they could pool all games together for another Nintendo World Championship. That would build an insane amount of hype.

I see grudging acceptance of Nintendo's practices or acknowledging they're pretty terrible, the only people I see saying they're defended are fucking nintendrones when will they learn types who insist there's blind defense of those practices.

What you're missing is that Splatoon is huge in Japan. Literally dozens of tournaments are organized every week, it's one of the top streamed games on openrec (Japanese Twitch equivalent), and that's all on a console considered to be a failure. Japan was never really into multiplayer shooters before hand, so they basically own the entire genre for the Japanese now and all their pent up interest in it. It makes sense to take advantage of that in their home market, even if it makes less sense abroad where Splatoon is a niche in the most popular genre.

Much to the meleefag's chagrin, I think it is very clear that Nintendo sees Smash as a casual party title more akin to Mario Kart than F-Zero. I see a line drawn in the sand: Their older franchises, that may have had some underground competitive success, will be kept safe and casual, and they will use new franchises like Splatoon and ARMS to explore competitive game design with much less risk. From their perspective, better to try something new and fail, than to potentially ruin a reliable franchise. And while I also wish that Smash had a less casual focus (I lost interest in the franchise with Brawl), I ultimately think it is better this way, with their designers having the freedom to try new things without having to fight against stubborn internal opinions about what an existing franchise should be.

We will see how ARMS does, but I believe they see it the way I've described, an outlet for the fighting game ambitions that they weren't allowed to pursue with Smash under Sakurai. In that light, I think it is more likely that they would someday work with the Fast RMX team to make a new F-Zero title as the "hardcore" racing analogue of Mario Kart, than for them to move Smash in the direction that Melee players would like.

You're right, but this is essentially what all "competitive" multiplayer devs do. The purpose of running official DotA/Overwatch/CS:GO/whatever tournaments is not the ad revenue, but to get people interested in the games.

Kiwi