The MMO Question

Well? Whats the appeal?

Pros:

Cons:
>Practically unplayable vanilla interfaces
>Majority are free to play or have a monthly fee
>Majority have shit graphics and/or garish art-styles
>Majority have utter shit combat

MMO RPGs are an enigma to me. Do people just like them because they're cynical skinner boxes that they got hooked on as a result of peer pressure? Are they masochists that just enjoy exhausting boredom and wasting their money? I really want to know.

You just made a thread to discuss about a genre of games that you do not personally like. Is this really what you want to do with your life?

I'm just curious

Ominous demonic trips

Seriously though, MMOs are more about the community than the game. The players could be playing solitaire so long as they're doing it with people they like.

Why I'm playing FFXIV, and for many points why I play MMOs in general

The genre got screwed hard by greedy/stupid publishers and game designers who tried to answer one or more of your stupid questions yet only made things worse. A byproduct of this was online action games with skinnerbox elements inspired by MMOs. Fuck you for that by the way.

It's impossible to explain the appeal of the mmorpg in CURRENT YEAR because it's dead. Final Fantasy XIV is the only one not kept alive by whales and chinese. You can pop in their general and ask them, I guess.

When we first started playing WOW, we were mostly afraid of ending up nolifers for it, but still tried to because of the 1. huge shared world and 2. large population.

Just imagine the jump in size from FPS deathmatches, to MMPORGs. It shouldn't have ended up like this, but the jews cannot understand love and ruin everything with shekels.

Obviously most games fall short of this, but this is what appeals to me when these games are done right.

Checked

Show them online

:^)

Do you expect the city of Manchester to be blown off the face of the earth, whenever Man U gets fucked? The impact is relative to you and it's perfectly fine.

In all honesty I want to play an mmo specifically to have something to play and pretend I have friends but they're all shit.

We all want an MMO that isn't shit, but that'll never happen as long as 99% of MMO players flock to every copypaste cuck job that comes along and hails it as the "savior of MMOs" before dropping it in the next couple weeks because it's the same shit as all the other MMOs on the inside.

The only decent mmo left is EVE

I play them for the grind, mostly. The illusion of progress and getting stronger, and i keep going because i always have something else to do; when you run out of grind, you run out of game.

That being said, i'm not defending MMOs. Play any one for a month or so, get to know it's ins and outs, and then move on to something new before you get stuck in a quagmire of repetition.

Not all MMOs are WoW/EQ copies, OP, but those are the easiest to make since they're skinner boxes like you said.

If it has that, I'm fine with it.

Runescape

Pros:

Cons:

These aren't mutually exclusive to MMOs, there are games that have all of these without the associated cons on

I like to make my own dunutsteels and run them around grinding shit. Grinding in itself is huge bonus, as I absolutely love grinding, I grinded even in the games not really designed around that because I fucking love it.
Do you know that in Castlevania bloodlines if you re-enter boss room all candles and hearts/C letters regenerate and if you grind them enough you're guaranteed to get a super weapon drop? Yeah I'm that autistic.

You can talk to them, you can watch their style, or their gear or how they play, learning from them or teaching them yourself.

You can even make new friends.

If done right it's super satisfying.

Not really. If game has good core mechanics you can still play alone occasionally teaming up with randoms.

Yes, if you don't like the concept of grinding you're in the wrong genre to begin with. There are plenty of multiplayer genres not relying on it. But there are plenty of people like me who like to grind.

Not really? When PvP was a big thing in MMOs I didn't have an access to the internet, but when I got it most games already were PvE. I don't think balance is all that important in PvE.

Well yes, you can't play online game without being online.

There is always a large number of sub-communities in most large games. You can also find furfags, waifufags, redditors and SJWs along with sensible people normalfags who just want to kill some monsters while chatting about the latest TV show.

Some games opt for regular small updates rather one time big expansions. I personally think that expansion model sucks.

Not sure what this means. If you're talking about immersion, then I get it immediately broken when someone in chat talks about gameplay mechanics, i.e. I never have this immersion thing with mmos to begin with. I dunno if it's such a big deal in multiplayer game.

Well I tried a bunch of old MMOs recently like Ragnarok and Mabinogi and didn't find them all that impenetrable.

You gotta have those servers running somehow. This is unfortunate reality of things. You can't expect a *buy once no micro transactions ever* deal, because that will just render any company bankrupt.

Depends on your taste? I like how RO or Mabinogi look. But something like Neverwinter or WoW - not so much. But I'm a huge fucking weeb so maybe that's why.

TRUE
That brings me to the very fucking start of my post where I was talking about ones with good core gameplay. There are very few of those.