Dos games thread

Post games that have that dos era feel. i'm just looking for recommendations for dos era games. Games i like are leisure suite Larry, Jazz jack rabbit , Moonstone, and anvil of dawn. Any games that belong to those respected genres would be nice but feel free to suggest obscure games and RTS games.

also any 4x games that have actually depth and don't feel like bare bones or inferior versions of later installments i heard sid miers colonization was pretty good. what your thoughts on it?

also i noticed that jazz jack rabbit suffers from the sonic the hedgehog syndrome of not being able to go fast because you can't see an enemy off screen and it disrupts your flow once you hit it . is there anyway to fix the 2fast4u genre with off screen enemies or has it always been bad enemy placement?

Other urls found in this thread:

dosbox.com/wiki/Special_Keys
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

also post sexy computers

Anyone played alone in the dark does it still hold up?

Dangerous Dave is pretty fun.
The original Duke Nukems were my favorites in that whole series of games.
Monster Bash is a nifty game that made me throw a printer through a window.
Can't really remember, but I think that Tekwar game with William Shatner was DOS too, pretty weird trying to figure that out as a kid.

Isn't dangerous dave made by the guys at id before they started their own company? also i forgot duke started out as a 2d game. and never heard of monster bash how does it play?

Depends on how much bullshit you can deal with. The game is filled to brim with it.

play zork 1-3 and beyond zork you pussy

Is it one of those games where you have to specifically know when somethings about to happen and can't rely on reflex and skill?

I tried but text adventures are so hard to get into for me i think i need more stimulation for it to be fun. i know i'm a huge faggot ;_;

Pretty much

It's fine, but keep in mind it's basically Resident Evil before Resident Evil. The main issue is the mid game has a number of instakill traps you have to deal with.

You definitely post like one.

Understood i guess the sequels are more of the same. But that also beg the question are there any other spoopy Dos era games?

wew people were struggling to make real 3d rendering engines and these guys made a 4d engine. i bet john carmack killed himself out of pure shame. also any tips for people who are horrible at flight sims?

no u

The sequels are even worse
They are more action oriented without any real changes to the systems. Its a chore to play them.

Please speak American before posting here.
>>>/wall/

So are they still worth a play through or is it just broken and not fun?

I'd love to play some. The only off putting thing is getting them to work.

Just get dosbox any problem you have has been solved on the official forum and if you some how find a new problem just post about it on the forum and the dev should respond. also don't post about piracy theere they are really cucked about it because they don't want to get the project shut down by some trigger happy suit somewhere.

Never post about piracy. Lie and say you got original disc or something, having issues with ripped data or something.
Anyways I'm not sure what to play. They all look really good. I'll look into getting DOSbox going, I'd love some actual games though.

Dave was hard as fuck.

When you want to run a game, drag and drop the .exe onto the dosbox shortcut and it opens with dosbox. Or use a frontend like dbgl.

Here are the most important keyboard shortcuts:
dosbox.com/wiki/Special_Keys

There's Open Jazz where you can change the resolution to something bigger to actually give yourself time to react. It's missing some animations but it really makes a difference.

This can be remedied by saving every 30 minutes, it's not like the game punishes you for it. I beat AitD when I was 13 dude, it really wasn't that bullshitty.

Check out Legend Entertainment's games.

Thanks. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Two AWESOME 2D games user.

Now this is what i call T H I C C

Legacy: Realm of Terror is a criminally underrated Horror RPG game. It still has great creepy and mysterious atmosphere even today imo.

:^)

She's pretty natural. Her thighs are pretty normal.

Fuck that game. Always got run over by a car at start and had to answer that stupid set of questions.

I was a kid around 7, how was I supposed to know that.
TELL ME THE SECRETS FUCKER

your parents needed to supervise you more

[Alt] + [Ctrl] + X.

I had that game. I was too spooped to play it. Thought it looked fun but I NOPE'd the fuck out when I ran into the first zombies.

The pre-rendered 3D bits look pretty bad. Speaking of horror, this game was brutal.

i really want to ssh from pic 4

You're confusing it with the sequels. AITD only had one instance of a "be sure to bring a guide" puzzle (which I agree is one too much, especially it was the very final puzzle). In my opinion it's still a solid adventure/horror game. The sequels are where it all went to shit with illogical puzzles and shootouts at weird camera angles. The series abandoned the Lovecraft lore with the second game, too.

Warlords was my jam.

You're not alone in that desire, user.

The portrait puzzle is fucking retarded and that was in the beginning.
The entire last act is trash with its shitty platforming.

I prefer the Amiga hardware, but it's same era and has similar games (sometimes exact same ones). Here's a great fantasy platformer.

This is a cross between FPS and RPG. It's basically like Dungeon Master, but in a SF setting. The weapons are really cool, you even get grenades and auto-sentry guns (like in the Aliens movie). Can handle up to 4 players at once (two on keyboard, one on mouse, one on joystick/gamepad), and I played this way when the game came out (this was before Doom). It was a lot of fun! Amiga version is recommended because the sound effects are much better, and they're an important part of setting the mood and atmosphere of the game.

Another great fantasy platformer. This one has amazing sprites by the Bitmap Bros. It was ported to a lot of platforms, and I guess they're all fine but I prefer the Sega Genesis version overall.

Master of Orion I is my favorite, but you might have issues with it since it's a less-is-more heavily macro focused kind of game. Master of Magic is broken in an excellent way, definitely play that if you haven't.

Another Bitmap Bros game. This one was best on Amiga, I think. SPECIAL POWER! NODE ACTIVATED! LEVEL COMPLETE!

Probably the puzzle game I played the most? It has some "special" theme levels like pic that are references to other DMA Design games. In this case it's Shadow of the Beast (and even the music is from there), but there's also a Menace special level, and some others I can't remember.

I never much got into the Sierra games, except the first few of Space Quest series. Those are great, but this is by far my favorite adventure game. There's a DOS CDROM version with 256-colors and speech, but I tried it and actually prefered the Amiga and DOS floppy EGA + Adlib versions. Anyway try them and see.

My second-favorite adventure game! Lucasfilms put a LOT of effort into their Amiga ports, and it shows, unlike Sierra who basically just ran a dumb algorithm to downscale their later 256-color VGA SCI engine games to 32 color Amiga. Whereas Lucasfilms really took full advantage of the Amiga hardware, by using the tweaked 64-color extrahalfbrite mode for Monkey Island 2 (speaking of which, I really gotta finish that gameā€¦)

If you are overwhelmed by DOSBox, good luck navigating this sea of shit:
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

Another great platform game. I didn't play Another World (or even Prince of Persia!), so no idea how it compares. But this game really had me immersed for a long time.
Blackthorne is also pretty fun.