Indieshit/Obscure game thread

Alright faggots, lets talk about some games you'll probably call me a shill for making a thread for, upcoming or already released.

So, this game is made by the devs who made Lords of Xulima, a neat RPG I enjoyed.
Its a RTS/Management hybrid where you have to defend a human colony from a shitton of Zombies in a Cyberpunk asthetic world.

Shit I would also recommend:

A neat Open World RPG with some influences from 90s M&M/Wizardry games, it started off as a Pocket PC title and its made by 2 Hungarian lads.
Its really comfy and doesn't hold your hand.

You fly several spaceships, it has some really neat physics and a nice story, its hard as balls and gets some time to get the hang of.

Its a Mech game, by Looking Glass Studios, go play it

Give me some recs

Other urls found in this thread:

entanma.itch.io/copy-kitty
docs.google.com/uc?id=0B1FJe55X_lxxeDJaUDRYR3pmUTA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

k
I mean.. I hope its good.

Let me tell you about Gunlord, a post-mortem Dreamcast release. It is basically a spiritual successor to the Turrican run 'n gun series and oozes that european style all over, sadly it has no PC release and is quite expensive but definitely worth a look.

I just want a new animation at this point

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT LOOKS AMAZING
Good thing emukation is a thing
ever played Intrusion 2?

This game's like a short physics platformer but for the price tag I got a whole lot of enjoyment out of it. It's kinda like Grow Home where you can grab with the two hands independently so you can do a lot of neat shit by just climbing over the walls of areas into other zones and some of the levels have big open areas you never even need to touch that have cool shit in them, like there's a zipline at the top of the church in the castle area that you can just wall climb up to and skip like half the level.

He was setting up a jewtreon to have time to animate and make the game and hes has streamed non-spoiler animating (effects and all that jazz) and apparently hes a shit ton of frames in over a couple thousand.
Thats an afternoon well worth it. Whats impressive is that it was done by one cykablyat alone. Shame its kinda obscure.

I'm clever as fuck, brah.

Have fun.

Theres a new Rogue-lite/like whatever called "Monolith", its basically BoI but with a tiny spaceship instead of dead babies

the dev is working on a new game in the same style, seems even better than intrusion 2.

The fuck is wrong with you?

Didn't make the chart, drod is neat.

No creeper world, either. That list needs to be updated.

Yeah, it needs updating.

Anyone play the old Armed With Wings flash games? Their creator has been working on a complete extension/reboot, it just had its full release, and I think it's a really underappreciated diamond in the rough among Steam indieshit. A fun side-scrolling hack-n-slash with a solid, replayable story mode and an infinite survival mode, with a ton of unlockable stuff.

I found this game by sheer luck and it was surprisingly fun. It's a decent Ghosts'n Goblins clone with enough content and secrets to keep you occupied. You can turn on/off the scanlines anytime you want.

that looks a lot like turrican.

How is the new patched iji? I guess I should just play it.

Fetus and its sequel Sutef, two indie puzzle-platformers with a creepy vibe. Too bad the author became a SJW trannie.

Can't shill copy kitty enough. Fun on a bun and loads of content that's still getting free updates.
There's a demo with several chapters on the dev's site too entanma.itch.io/copy-kitty

3D brawler where you know kung fu. Really fun, really difficult, and you get a lot of unlocks that you should use a hex editor for because fuck grinding all that gold

Link:docs.google.com/uc?id=0B1FJe55X_lxxeDJaUDRYR3pmUTA

It adds a non-lethal weapon for every mode so non-lethal playthroughs aren't just about reflecting rockets back. A new ending has been added, a lot of story elements have been rewritten and changed to be more coherent on top of deeper lethal/non-lethal branches in the story, cracking is no longer lethal, you move faster, you no longer deal contact damage to the Tasen during the ceasefire sector, ported to GM7 for better performance, redefined what counts as a kill to make more sense, bosses have been reworked, and a whole lot more

Will there ever be a platform or a third party for financially supporting artists that isn't a giant company?

Probably not. It's the sort of thing you'd only do when you have lots of money in order to make more money without actually doing anything.

A big third party platform will always take a cut. At best you could have some sort of large-scale fan site financed by ad money, linking to the artists' personal websites.

Bump

Are there any hipster games that don't rely on manchild aesthetics?

I don't think this shit is in need of any shilling as it fucking exploded on steam, but I really fucking love Dead Cells holy shit.
You should really see past all those buzzwords in the description and the game a go, it's an amazing 2D action game where everything just werks, manly thanks to the animations and how your character controls.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:ACD48946DCD25BF0D2A658C29F31F59268BFB6D5&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet&dn=%5B%D0%92%20%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BA%D0%B5%5D%20Dead%20Cells%20%5BP%5D%20%5BENG%7CMULTI3%20%2F%20ENG%5D%20(2017)%20(2017-06-06%20-%20b168de6)%20%5BPortable%5D

Gameplay looks alright but I can't stand the visuals.

I'm content.

Everyone praise the visuals. I hope you're not judging by my overcompressed webm and actually looked up some screenshots.
I personally like how the game looks as well.

Switchcars is good.

The issue I have with dead cells are the bosses who summon the minions. Also the other user mentioning the visuals has a point and I'll address both right now: the backgrounds and foregrounds are so vibrant and colorful that sometimes enemy projectiles or attacks blend into the scenery and it's difficult to see it coming if you're focused on something else. This makes it ten times worse when you fight, say, that sword boss in the Old Sewers, because your only reliable means of avoiding damage is rolling, which has a cooldown, and there are so many minions constantly that there's a very high chance even if you roll and dodge three attacks at once, you get hit by a fourth when the roll completes. So you need to keep your eye on the boss, memorize his attack patterns/tells, and attempt to dodge his strikes while ALSO hitting him when those tiny windows of opportunity present themselves, in ADDITION to somehow miraculously trying to avoid four or five minions/tank their damage long enough to kill the boss.

Minions are bullshit is what I'm saying.

Now, I'm not claiming it's unbeatable obviously, and they aren't a big deal on elite enemies depending on the kind of elite they are, the point is that it's just fucking unreasonable. I should be able to beat a boss based on my skill of the game. With the never-dying minions, beating a boss becomes all about how lucky my run has been and which kinds of items I have, rather than how quick my reaction time is or how I use said items or how skillful I am. For example, you know the Old Bridge bossfight? THAT is how a bossfight should be done. Every single fight you have should include the possibility of avoiding all damage as long as you know what you're doing and you're good enough, and that doesn't rely on luck or having specific items.

Additionally dead cells stutters like mad. It's much more bearable when I turn off my internet adapter, and I suspect it's the Unity engine being used incompetently by the devs (steam discussions are/were totally rife with people complaining about the hiccups), but they shouldn't be there period.

I agree with you that depending on which items you get you can either steamroll everything no matter the amount of mobs, or get stomped on by a bunch of enemies if caught in the corner.
Basically either ice grenade or crawlers is guaranteed win. If you get both, then you might as well bumrush to the end as you don't need any upgrades.
But if all you get are some fucking bear traps, then you're fucked.
They ARE supposedly addressing it with the updates, buffing shields and juggling damage values around, but we'll see how it goes.

Works on my machine, but yeah there are numerous reports about it. Devs are frenchies, so maybe that's why.

Desktop dungeons is paid nowadays, but worth it

I'm judging it based on muddled visuals, shitty over the top bloom, mish-mash of pixel art together with 8-bit alpha and lazy inconsistent pixel density.

I'm not sure what those are.
I've found that the most helpful items are things that do DoT that don't require much of your attention. Those grounded sawblades for example are fucking great, especially for minion-boss fights.
But the way they have it set up now simply isn't how it should be. They could fix it multiple ways: have minions resurrect much more slowly, throw maybe 2-3 at you once every 10-15 seconds and they die permanently, have the boss fight you alone until he staggers at X% of health and then minions swarm you until you kill them all and go back to fighting the boss. Plenty of other ways. They just shouldn't have 4-5 minions who constantly come after you and respawn almost instantly while you're trying to fight a boss. It's just retarded. I know a number of people have complained about it.

I don't have any serious issue with the visuals myself, but I know that the bloom is something a lot of people hate. I guess generally bloom looks bad on pixelated artstyles and makes it difficult to differentiate things but it just doesn't mix. Personally I ignore it, but I've seen more people criticize the bloom than I would have expected, seems like a common graphical complaint.

Well I see your point. I felt the same way with Slain, but anons convinced me to try that, so I ended up buying it.
Just give it a pirate anyway.
Give Slain pirate too btw, another great fucking game.

Terraria should be an exception to this because lighting there is an actual mechanic.

Shit, I forgot all about that. I remember lurking a thread about it a year or two ago thanks for reminding me.

I probably will pirate it to check it out user, but still, as someone that tries to do pixelart right it rubs me the wrong way.

Make sure to get back from hell edition as it's the good one and has actual ending.
Vanilla is supposedly unfinished shit.

While Slain is purely pixel art, Dead Cells really isn't. It's a really low poly 3D mixed with sprites, which shows more often than not, which again may look ugly to a lot of people.

How does this rub you?
I swear if this game didn't look like total ass I would have shilled it to hell and back. I might have even completed it then.

Thanks for the link, looks interesting.

Also I feel like more people need to play this game. It's basically a tech demo for an engine that was intended to compete with quake and unreal engine. Nothing ever really came of that, but Slave Zero itself is fun as fuck. Sanic-fast mech fighting and you can pick up cars and debris and throw them at enemies. It's on gog so it's easy to pirate, do yourself a favor and grab it

Isn't dead cells still in early access?

Oh shit it reminded me of some old ass dos game called Abuse. I like how it looks.

Y-yes. Totally forgot to mention it ha ha.

I just played some of it. I got to the third random area and died, it happened to be the sewers. The gameplay is great, the enemies are challenging without being "hurr durr muh dark souls" in 2D like Salt and Sanctuary. However, this is an example of another game that seems absolutely ruined because of LOL ROGUELITE. I'm sick of this fucking shit, especially in something like a metroidvania. Indie dev faggots need to stop with the roguelike meme and start designing proper fucking levels.

Another guy her for Slain. Try Slain guys, it's non-hipster shit and it's pretty damn fun.

By the way, dead cells, how finished is this?

From what I've played so far, which isn't much admittedly, it seems to have a fair amount of content so far. Honestly despite my gripe I'll probably be playing a lot more of it, it's surprisingly pretty fun

I don't think I've played a single roguelite and liked the level design, except maybe Risk of Rain.

Well, I'm gonna try it because I'm impressed by a platformer that doesn't look like shit nowadays.

It pisses me off because I really like EVERYTHING else in the game besides the fucking levels. There are a handful of interesting ways introduced to traverse the levels like a permanent upgrade that lets you grow a vine out of clumps of cells in the ground, which fits in perfectly with something like a metroidvania to allow you to traverse more of an area you couldn't access before. But what's the fucking difference if you know you're just going to die and your exploration doesn't matter? There aren't any interesting-looking "rooms" anyway because because it's just randomly generated. Also the ONLY reason permadeath is in a game like this is to justify the procedurally generated levels. I want Super Metroid and Aria of Sorrow level design back.

Oh hi, Invisible Inc, Tower of Guns, Ziggurat and Sublevel Zero?
As much as I hate to admit it Bloodstained seems to have a really clever idea of having the whole roguelite deal being an entirely seperate gamemode.

Is it the game I have been searching for since Creeper World and Stronghold?

This guy gets it. Two other games FUCKING RUINED because
Also I'm now cautiously optimistic for Bloodstained based on what you told me and because it's made by nips. However you seem to harbor some dislike for what you know about it, care to share why it might be shit? Besides the fact that it's a kikestarter game

I don't know, something about that early alpha demo looked bad. Like it's going to be a mediocre clone of Aria of Sorrow rather than it's own beast.

I don't know much about Creeper World but looking at a video I think Infested Planet might be up your alley.

My friend actually heavily recommended this game to me and I tried it. Completed one or two levels and dropped it. The gameplay seems totally fine, and I can overlook bad graphics, but that shit is some of the worst pixelart/lowres I have ever fucking seen in my life, and I've been playing shit since DOS. Every goddamn thing in that game is a messy blob of colored blocks. Very few games make me rage at their graphics, it's usually much larger and more important things, especially as a roguelike fan. But Butcher was an abortion to look at. I cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't make the game a proper resolution/more defined pixelart, considering how the game plays makes it seem like there are some sprites or something that are "down-res'd".

I agree with you. I can overlook bad graphics if they had SOME damn effort put into them, but this had no effort at all. There was another roguelike game, top down, which was an incredible pixelated mess. I couldn't stand that no matter how good it was.

Agreed. Like I said if it had decent graphics and didn't look like one of the worst games I've ever seen I'd actually had finished and would have been all for it. But as it stands the game looks so ugly it's very hard to ignore.

I'm watching some gameplay now and I'm totally okay with it being a clone of Iga's previous games. That's really all I want at this point. Even if it doesn't come close to the masterpiece that is AoS I think I'll be happy with it. Not throwing any money its way until it's released though.

What is surprising is that the guys who made Butcher also made Soldat, which actually looks very decent for a 2D shooter. It recently received a HD graphics update. Look it up. I was surprised to see them make something like Butcher after making Soldat, since it's worse.

I miss Interplay

loved that gaem, surprisingly rich content, I have very good memories of it.

This needs to be expanded upon. Other flash games like this?

You mean Butcher did? Or you referring to Soldat?
I would probably play and finish butcher if my screen didn't look like a churning soup of feces.

that was a really nice coop game.

Speaking of really nice co-op games
It's also unbelievably difficult and requires a massive amount of coordination and camaraderie between the two/three/four of you.

ayyy looks interesting

magicka was pretty fun with friends, considering that you could 1) use coordination to make massively damaging spells and 2) lack of coordination meant you slaughtered your teammates.
Haven't played that in years though and it's not exactly obscure. Single player was alright but lackluster.

Have any of you played Lecarde Chronicles 2? Is it any good?

It's fucking great, but mechanically speaking it's a faster, better, stronger and just straight up tighter Enter the Gungeon, not Binding of Isaac.

It's also unbelievably difficult if the two of you are as coordinated as an ASSFAGGOTS game and if you're an autism who needs to 100% everything while your partner isn't.
I CAN'T HELP MYSELF 100%ING ANYTHING IS MY GOAL IN LIFE

This looks cool, although I get the feeling these Castlevania-likes with a Bloodborne aesthetic are getting a little out of hand.

Curse of Issyos by the same guy is also pretty good.

Well, may be I am used to good teammates in coop games. Good game anyway.

No but it looks interesting, I might give it a shot. Maybe it was because the trailer on their website was made deliberately to show it off but I'm surprised at how much voice acting there is for a fan game

Wasn't the 2nd game rigid in that characters had preset deaths unlike the 1st where it is possible to save all the characters? I really didn't like the 2nd game because of that.

Out There Somewhere - 2D portal-like. A bit short but on the other hand doesn't overstay it's welcome. Has some hidden things if you're into that

Firewatch & ABZU - two exploration games i actually liked

Refunct - Parkour-platformer game. Also a bit short too but it's very nicely designed.

David. - if Shadow of Collosus was 2D, mechanic oriented and even more distilled it would be David.

Hyper rouge, a rougelike played on a hyperboloid.
I just uploaded it on the share thread, and it's pretty fun, and it has a pretty big variety of worlds.

Hyperbolic plane*, I messed up

The link you posted is asking for a decryption key.

this gets asked and answered every fucking share thread, goddamnit, read the fucking thread before asking to be spoonfed, goddamn

I've been playing it, so far it's really interesting. The music is great, it's mostly remixes of castlevania themes but there are some nice original tracks here and there. And like the other user said there is quite the amount of voice acting by none other than Robert Belgrade himself. I kind of like the level design, because one it's not an outright corridor with enemies, two there are a fair share of jumping challenges so far, and most importantly the only save point I've encountered so far was the one at the very start of the game, meaning that walking around like an idiot thinking you can tank everything until the next point isn't an option. This is what's keeping me playing the game at the moment.
If I had to say something negative I'd say something feels kind of off with the platforming, like the jump is a bit shorter than what I normally expect.