XCOM

Why is long war 2 considered good? It breaks everything, it has redeeming factors but fighting 3 berserkers, 12 vipers, 4 mutons, and the rest upgraded troopers isn't fun hard, it's bullshit hard. Mix that in with reinforcements coming in every single fucking turn behind my troops makes this a shit mod.
Also dark events are permanent now minus the ufo hunt

Forgot to mention i'm still on ballistic weapons

Why is nu-xcom considered good?

You fucked up and went in guns blazing. Slow down, infiltrate, pick your battles. Git good.

It's not but it's fairly fun.

ELL OH ELL I am literally crying tears of laughter, user you silly thing you're MEANT to lose those fights! Don't you understand how much fun it is to realize a fight is entirely unwinnable after losing half of your best squad members in a single turn due to elements entirely outside of your control? Git gud!

In all seriousness, Long War 1 & 2 have both always been trash because of the simple fact that NuCom doesn't allow for the enemy to suffer Pyrrhic victories - my team of four guys can kill an entire legion of ADVENT but because I didn't hack a certain terminal it counts as a failure and I get NOTHING despite the fact that I just eliminated enough troops to deplete every military base in the tri-state area. Leave literally one Stun Lancer alive during a terror mission? Fuck you, your time was wasted, that one guy manages to apparently slaughter the 20 or so remaining civilians.

I thought it was considered awful by people with half a brain, both it and the first. They both suffer from the same things the base games suffer from and that is "lol harder is better we're the dark souls of tacticool strat games git gud"

Does long war actually get rid of the cheating AI?
Sneaking is no fun when they know where you are regardless.

XCOM2 is shit, as is LW. This isn't news.

Here's what i did and tell me what i did wrong
I'm sorry if i mispelled something because I'm a little upset right now. Fuck you. The worst part about long war 2 isn't the battle phase but the base phase. Advent get's permenant dark events and their troops start upgrading in the second month and never lose momentum meanwhile I'm scratching the bottom of the barrel just to get attachments.

Who thought this was a good idea
Was it the same type of fuck who had armor in runescape control chance to be hit?

This.

For a game and mod all about fighting careful battles and striking where you can the idea of anything less than a total victory being a complete failure and earning you nothing is stupid as all hell.

If you lose 5 guys and kill 50 Advent troopers and 5 generals and 25 aliens and 15 war robots it shouldn't be considered a total failure on your part.

I'd settle for the classic reaction fire.

For one you got upset over a mod designed by leeter-than-thou cicrklejerkers for leeter-than-thou cicrklejerkers. Am I wrong?

As for what you did wrong not being a psyker I've no idea whether you actually did anything wrong. Maybe you should've cut and ran, maybe your fags were underequipped/leveled and maybe, just maybe you actually fucked up.

That's pretty much the byline they're going for. Now, you can learn to play around their bullshit, you can learn to mitigate it with cheese or specialized tactics or you can mod it out. All three or any combination of them beats making a whine thread to vent in my opinion.

Do you even know what a terror mission is? Have you played long war?

why would you go to runescape as your example and not fucking DnD

Because I know jack shit about DnD.

Cover should completely block all damage until destroyed. That's kind of the entire point of the concept.

I feel like there was a game once that did that, but maybe I'm just imagining things.

LW2 misses the point of the game and its own point too. Emphasizes guerrilla combat and insurgency tactics but decides that the second the shooting starts Advent sends 5,000 of its best troops at you instantly and turn it into a street war where you're hopelessly outnumbered and outmatched and are killed immediately because "realistic guerrilla warfare". That shit doesn't happen. You shouldn't face down an army immediately. Advent may be strong but they don't have millions of elite soldiers to just deploy anywhere on the globe within seconds of potential rebels arriving. LW2 tries to make a more difficult guerrilla setting but misses the mark and just throws hordes of elite enemies at you everywhere you go. They could still do something good by giving you more options to win and more objectives, creative ways to beat the opposition, but nope. Your group of barely-getting-by losers must defeat 100 leet fully decked out supersoldiers in fair, open combat and if they don't then haha you suck. It's like Red Faction Guerrilla if Red Faction Guerrilla wasn't fun and was designed by head-up-the-ass tryhards.

Steamworld Heist is a recent example. Cover pretty much blocks bullets unless you richochet your bullet cleverly to hit the guy behind the cover, or just run up to the cover and shoot through it.

XCOM 2 also completely misses the whole point of being the resistance against a larger foe by making it a "go after the mcguffin" type of shit instead of "start off as a tiny blip on the map and eventually win over the support of the public and other resistance outfits and dismantle the opposition piece by piece"

I'm still mad we can't make them look bad by doing our own terror missions against them.

I'm still mad the game is nothing more than a literal reskin of Enemy Unknown.

I thought that went without saying.

About two times to completion. And you say that like vigilance or regional Advent strength aren't a thing. Or as if losing your "A-team" for a haven or any other not (((instant lose condition))) mission is worth it. They are and it's not

But you're not going to see their best troops until you either advance the "plot" or go loud and slow with no prepwork (and even then you're more likely to get swamped by more lesser troops then the best). And the game makes that very, very clear.

A more flexible campaign in the style of JA2 where you attack what you want to attack, at the pace you'd like to do it would be something amazing though. I mean surely there's at least one veteran out there with just enough gear scraped together to be able to nuke the ayy central command in Tel Aviv if you're good enough.

Any mods were you play as the ayyliums in xcom 2 and terrorise humans?
Any mods were you marry the snake?

nu-xcom is trash, just play xenonauts with mods

Fuck terror missions then. Never again. Like i said I can battle but the campaign base work kills me. I usually go for all intel on the region i'm in so i can find missions with plenty of time to bring alot of units. The other regions i leave to recruit until they have at least 10. one region i leave to supply with an engineer so i could get 200+ supplies. when advent gets 5 power in one region i set them all to hide.

There is a mod that lets you have sneks on your team, but it's not all that fun.

Nu xcom isn't good.
Long wars were never good.

I never said that but for example I'd much rather lose a region than lose my best squad, their gear and a region. Same as in X-Com.

And a friendly reminder that you can very easily mod any geoscape bullshit and set your own pace. It's about having fun, right? And fun usually doesn't mix with learning new mechanics that may fuck you three hours down the line while there's a hidden clock you're trying to beat. Unless we're talking twitchstreamer or some other clown in which case his suffering is fun

Viper comfort troops, when?

I've noticed that i only get terror missions when the advent power is high. Facing a against my primitives it's most likely a loss. Fuck terror missions. I'll just lower the difficulty or something. I was going to read that but I heard they removed lewds

this
it doesn't concern itself with making it enjoyable and difficult. the guy behind it sees as if it's him against the players instead

The last time I touched Long War 2, I don't remember terror missions even happening. I'm half-convinced this is because I kept a soldier stationed at every point on the world map I'd unlocked and dealt with traitors whenever they came up.
And also because I said "fuck that" to Ironman and savescum with even less than ideal turns.

Long War 2 is balanced so that you will flat-out fail or abandon roughly half of the missions you undertake.
When you get good, you will encounter almost no missions that you can't eke out a victory on, but it takes time.
Remember that combat can generally be avoided, and remember that you can usually bug out with the objective at any time and don't have to mop up the enemies.

Some of the timed defense missions are hard as fuck, though.

I almost never mop up enemies unless I have too. I just wish there was a way to re-conceal my shinobis once they hacked the objectives. The only i know to do it is to equip them with that shitty 1 - 4 damage pistols. I try to avoid combat whenever concealed but it also makes your troops gain no exp when they don't earn kills if i remember correctly.

The only way I know to do it*

…it is more realistic. Most of Advent is police forces. Still, mayeb there should be a mercy rule that gives you a timer, and then reinforco escalate.

Advent has the manpower to piss away, you dont, Advent cantt have a pyrrhic victory, they potentially have millions, you only have dozens, maybe hundreds.

There really should be multiple bases and multiple teams around the world, and half the focus should be supporting them instead of flying around in your obvious as fuck doom ship of unsubtle ness.

In Long War 2, you gain XP by mission rating and by how many enemies were on the map - killing earns you nothing at all. It's split evenly among your surviving troops. The fewer you take with you, the faster they level up.
Aim to bring 2-4 troops at most to any stealthable mission, and then progress to stealthing objectives with a single unit. It's possible and it's a lot of fun once you get used to the playstyle.

The perk in the guerilla tactics school the WetWork skill specifically says that each kill will earn you more XP.

It has the same action system as D&D which is pretty good as far as systems go. Problem is that they made it too much of a board game. Missed shots rarely hit anything important, events are like drawing from a deck of cards, perks are too powerful and end up wrecking the balance. Firaxis is badically making boardlike games recently, every single recent game of theirs seems to follow this trend.

A little off-topic, but
I could swear I saw "time units" or something similar on its not-kickstarter pic. Thank god for Xenonauts 2.

I still have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
And I'm completely fine with reskinned nuCOM if it isn't made with laziest, most retarded, most casual mindset in existence.

Has there been any news on Dragonpunk mod for XCOM2, or the long war standalone game(I think it was called Terra Invictus?)

It's not. The base game is unbalanced as fuck and LW2 doesn't fix any of it. If anything it makes it worse. And the game STILL runs like shit.

Stick with LW1 if you need Nu-Com. You should still play openxcom with mods instead. Or any of the dozens of X-COM clones out there.

I find the stealth missions to be really fucking boring in LW2 after repeating the them over and over. Slap everyone with SMG's for the 2+ movement, have the shinobi scout, hack that 1 drone that always blocks your path, run to objective, have the rookies stand at evac, open cells, go to evac, rinse repeat. If they ayys catch up lob flashbangs and run. If its an assassination mission replace open cells with shoot in the face with sharpshooter. Only time I was enjoying LW2 was in the missions where you go against fuck ton of ayys and purge them for supplies and that stopped being fun once the ayys got venom rounds and that one dark event that non stop drops reinforcements every 2 fucking turns because fuck you that's why.

You were wrong, killing rewards you with exp

Don't forget materials and accessories.

If you can back that up and are not talking from your ass I'd really appreciate it since I can name five at the most. And no, saying xenonauts 1 and xenonauts 2 doesn't count as two.

From the looks of it your mistake was that you engaged the enemy. I distinctly remember Long War 2 emphasizing the stealthy guerilla aspect, meaning sneaking through the mission to your objective is generally the best way to accomplish your goals. It's also easy to cheese in vanilla so the devs expect you to do stuff to cheese.

*And if you get caught you just run and make a beeline to the objective then get out, or simply retreat.