Nipponese Learning Thread: 万歳! Edition

Last thread is on page 13, time for another.

This thread is for discussing the Japanese language. Ask for advice, ask for translations, speak in Nihongo. If you're just starting out, then you should begin by learning Hiragana and Katakana, a.k.a Kana (仮名). These are essentially the Japanese alphabet. When you're done with those, you can move on to grammar and vocabulary. For vocabulary, anki and the core6k deck are tedious but effective, and Tae Kim's Guide to Grammar is a good place to start learning the fundamentals of grammar. Make sure to study every day, no excuses. Find the time, or you won't improve.

YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

This OP is an unofficial list of resources. I know someone mentioned that there's a new DJT guide, the one posted here is old. Please link to that if you would. If you think this list of resources should be altered in any way, then make a point to talk about it.
Resources
DJT guide: docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c
Anki and Decks
Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k:mega:///#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega:///#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk
KanjiDamage deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/748570187
Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Course deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/779483253
Websites, Apps, and Books
RealKana: realkana.com/
Kana Invaders: learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
Genki I and II (2nd Edition): mega:///#!aBF1TJYJ!D7Lkamt_oa6QlkMX4k0e7nDRu3qwacyyuoyxvbSego8
Forvo.com: ja.forvo.com/
Mainichi.me: mainichi.me/
Rikaichan: polarcloud.com/rikaichan/
GoogleIME: google.com/ime/
KanjiVG: kanji.sljfaq.org/kanjivg.html
IMABI: imabi.net/
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese: guidetojapanese.org/learn/
KanjiDamage: kanjidamage.com/
KANJI-Link radicals: kanji-link.com/en/kanji/radicals/
Japanese Audiobooks: how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6241&PN=1&TPN=1
All Japanese All The Time: alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency/
Erin.ne.jp: erin.ne.jp/en/lesson01/index.html
R.A. Miller's A Japanese Reader:///mega.nz/#!aNoHDBRa!1q_JZWZnktl16rWZsSz1PHUxQbTvi5UU_VpSIogzxO8
[YouTube Videos]
Namasensei: youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
JapanesePod101: youtube.com/user/japanesepod101/videos
KANJI-Link: youtube.com/watch?v=nOXuIYVzyL4&list=PLE6S_Q0SX_mBtzG17ho7YER6vmzCPJ3B4
Japanese Ammo with Misa: youtube.com/channel/UCBSyd8tXJoEJKIXfrwkPdbA/playlists
Japanese VideoCast: youtube.com/user/LingoVideocast/videos
Visualizing Japanese Grammar: youtube.com/watch?v=U0QjbYbhYEU&list=PLId-mP2ZkaEAiLo95aj2-yng41BnhWvE9

Other urls found in this thread:

pan.baidu.com/s/1o6sh58m
weblio.jp/content/きもい
djtguide.neocities.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=QCUSeutdgV8
youtube.com/watch?v=7MTircU8HHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=P5_Tq3X-Gao
youtube.com/watch?v=v_3O6A2y9yM
youtube.com/watch?v=5SKox0gbxIA
youtube.com/watch?v=2YfRqAkapmo
jisho.org/search/の
tomojuku.com/blog/ndes2/
polarcloud.com/rikaichan/
djtguide.neocities.org/
dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ112559.html
vocaroo.com/i/s0BGSTWXWZ0R
vocaroo.com/i/s15UZDhFDpzJ
oneangrygamer.net/2017/06/nintendo-localizers-now-work-with-japanese-devs-to-censor-games-for-western-culture/33309/
archive.is/Nl9i3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm a week into the 2k/6k anki vocabulary deck and I'm beginning to think I really should learn Kanji first before doing this. I'll try out Kanjidamage and see how it goes.

Are any of you anons hoping for Duolingo? the way it's advertised makes it seem too good to be true.

The method of forgoing individual kanji study and just learning vocabulary isn't for everyone. Familiarizing yourself with kanji can help you better differentiate between similar looking words and improve your ability to remember vocabulary by giving you more to associate them with. Likewise having something to associate those kanji will aid you in remembering them, so learning a mix of related kanji and vocabulary is preferable to just learning kanji first, if that's what you're considering. It's also typically advised that one shouldn't study the kanji readings in an isolated fashion but instead become familiar with them naturally through vocabulary. Kanjidamage does give vocabulary examples, so it could be an okay resource, just be sure to make an effort to learn one or two relevant vocabulary alongside kanji.

If you have a problem with Kanji, remember that even the Japanese have trouble with remembering them too. Hope that makes you guys feel better.

Remember, there's no shaming in giving up when something is impossible.

nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough

what's the point? american is the language of the world.

More like there's no use

You can't learn Japanese alone.

Am I right in understanding that kanji are unique symbols completely separate from hiragana? If so, how does one learn a kanji's meaning or how it is pronounced?

Is there a program for android phone that is a moonrune-burger translation that doesnt need an internet connection to work?

Don't listen to this impostor.

thanks user

Get the Obenkyo app.

You're a fucking liar OP.

YOU CAN'T LEARN JAPANESE!

It's impossible.

YES I CAN AND YOU CAN TOO IF YOU TRY HARD ENOUGH YOU NIGGER CHEN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
CHIGAU
NIHONGO WO NARATE
NIHONGO GA DEKIRU NE
MOTTO BENKYOU DA

WRONG! NO AMOUNT OF BENKYOU WILL HELP YOU!

あなたは本当に馬鹿です。
馬鹿の外人。死ぬ。

なぜ貴方は嘘を言っている?
死んでください

嘘をついている*

嘘じゃないです。あなたが言うことは嘘です。
Would you be interested in adding each other to help one another study? It would be nice to have a language partner whose English is good.

You can, you just can't learn it alone. You need a partner.

Kanji is proof that two nukes weren't enough!

The Japanese also suffer. Feel better now?

You don't need to learn the kanji.

そうだ!一人ぼっちでは無理。

いや、一人でも大丈夫。

what did he mean by this?

It's just easier with a partner. Try playing PSO2 without English patches and play with other anons while communicating in Japanese.

他人が居なくて行けない。他人が訂正するはず。

Only works if your partner is native Japanese though. Otherwise you can't really rely on their corrections.

それは腕による。

Don't post that, someone might actually fall for it.

漢字を習う事は楽しい。漢字は綺麗。

相手が欲しい?

自閉症は便利だけどね。

There's no way, man.

I wonder what I meant.

Yes I do. I already have one nip friend that has helped me out a ton but in my experience "the more the merrier" applies here.

I'm also interested in the idea of studying with a partner but I need some more information

lol fag
You literally just occasionally chat with a stranger, help one another out and become acquainted. Should you feel safe enough, you might have oral conversations. That's all there is to it.
If you don't want to do that with anons, try out apps or websites. Hellotalk is where I met my main nip partner. She is very helpful and nice. On that platform in particular, most people are there to learn a language so you shouldn't be shy.
Alternatively, chat with an user, with all the risk and potential that comes with it.

I'm trying to remember some Japanese game shows I have forgotten the names of.
One of them had the contestants basically do what amounts to a talent show & if the yellow bar went up high, one of the girls in bunny suits came & the contestants said a few things before moving on to the next one.
The other one is where comedians or groups of people try to make 5 selected audience members laugh within a certain amount of rounds by performing the different categories of acting & if they get all 5 of them to laugh at their act in the final round, they win.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

ここ日本語で喋れる。日本の掲示板も。

by more information all I meant was a suggested platform, nothing more. I guess I should have been more clear about that.

Well, I'd recommend steam or LINE on the phone. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
I recommend then leaving a temporary email or request I do that, to then send the ID. I wouldn't want to post it on here for everyone to see.

I'm sure nothing bad could happen.

誰も日本のIRCネットワークを知ってる?日本人はIRCを使わない?

Anata wa ein job gehabt.

well, anyone who wants someone to chat/study/whatever with can shoot an email to [email protected]/* */ and we can figure out a good means of communication from there

bullying accepted

Right?

Funnily enough though, nothing bad has happened in past occurrences where I did post some ID on here.

Sent :^)

einen*

I want a pickelhaube so badly.

You can't have an enjoyable E3

Sent

この絵は面白いね

Nips spend years learning it through rote memorization in school and exposure via society. Gaijin have various methods, the most efficient ones include breaking them down into simpler primitives and giving them unique keywords. You then pair up these primitives and their keywords and create mnemonics to remember their readings. After you do it for long enough they get stuck in your long term memory and you learn to recognize most kanji by heart.

Jsho is a good offline dictionary. Don't know about any offline machine translation on android.

HEY
Here's a thing; If you're shit at reading like me, go to YouTube and read Japanese comments in the comment section. They're usually very short so you won't have to spend 30 minutes trying to search for a bunch of words inside a paragraph. It's good when you're starting out and you don't have any real way to get in any reading practice.

ニコニコ動画。

Good channel for practicing.

YAY! I FINALLY KNOW ALL 69 HIRAGANA!!!

Does anyone who did the JLPT vocab lists have trouble with N3? I don't know what it is. I have no problem with my N2 deck (which in theory should be harder); but N3 I'm consistently having to do re-learns and getting failure rates of like 15-20%. It's not even a recent thing. I always had trouble with the words in the N3 list for some reason.

Wew, my temp. email is gone now too.

I replied, I don't know why you didn't get it. Someone else emailed me and they got my replies fine.

Found a cool ass japanese sims game. If you are interested. Only useful to those who know japanese well, so decided to share with you guys.
SIMPLE2000シリーズ Vol.115 THEルームシェアという生活。
pan.baidu.com/s/1o6sh58m
Viable for PS2 emulator.

No you don't.

Isn't the simple series mostly shovelware? Sell me on it.

I'll send another but from another service. Prepare.

mine expired too, I'll post another one tomorrow, I have to sleep now

Simple had a huge variety - Earth Defense Force came out of it I believe.

You decorate room, decide what to do during the day, survive, listen to tutorial lady. As i suppose theme of the game is trying to survive while sharing room with up to 4 strangers and pay the rent.

Well I do like sim games, so maybe I'll give it a shot later.

貧乏シミュレーター?

No I do? it only took me a month or two of using Hiragana Pro while I took a shit or went to pee.

Can someone translate this?

Save up a couple thousand bucks to visit Nipland. Staying there for a week is guaranteed to make you fluent and an expert in all things Japanese!

あんたのきもくて馬鹿なエロ画像に興味ないよ。

確かに助けってる。

The pleasure of being cummed inside

きもくて?

きもい。形容詞。意味は気持ち悪いという。

どこでもっと調べる?

あ、分かる
きもい>きもくてバカな。。。ありがとう

きもちわるい
weblio.jp/content/きもい

Holy moly. First grill is such a qt.

ちょっと聖也君?!
Stop right there, Senari-kun!?
さっき友達から聞いたわよ
I asked my friend just a moment ago
私というモノが
It is with reason that I accuse you of the following
あうながら浮気なんて
Cheating during our relationship
絶対に許さないんだ。。。や。。。ら。。。
I'll absolutely never forgive…

Then, in the bottom left hand corner it says (世界平和) which means world peace.

Anyway, I don't know how accurate this is. Maybe someone else can correct it.

「私というモノがありながら浮気なんて絶対に許さないんだ…か…ら」 is all one sentence user.

"I absolutely won't forgive you cheating while you have someone like me… so…"

meant for

Thanks, I thought something was off, but I couldn't figure it out. It's sometimes hard to know when one sentence ends and another begins.

Basically as long as it's in the same text bubble without sentence ending punctuation, just assume it's all the same sentence.

Outside of eroges, what other games are easier to start with for those still learning? How easy are the earlier console and handheld games (Where, IIRC, they usage kana instead of kanji due to the limitations in screen resolution)? I'm interested in checking out a couple of original Game Boy games.

I've found, especially when you're still a beginner, that the games that use all kana are far tougher to read than the ones that use kanji, not to mention that you're going to have to get used to kanji eventually, and there's no better time then now. All kana can make it very hard to distinguish what a word means because of the obscene amount of homophones in the language.

I'd like to know this too.

Also, how long did you guys study before trying to play games or read stuff? I'd like to start soon since I know an alright amount of grammar now, but I'm constantly getting sidetracked when trying to get practice outside my study materials since my vocabulary still isn't huge yet. Do you just deal with it and continue on even when you don't understand some words?

A game that you've already beat before. Not an all kana game though.

電車に描かれているのは、人気ゲーム「ファイナルファンタジー」のキャラクターと中華街など、神奈川・横浜の名所や名物。
Characters from the popular video game "Final Fantasy" were painted on an electric train in Yokohama (it says something about popular products from Chinatown or something, but who knows what the fuck that is supposed to mean)
ファイナルファンタジーの第1作発売から、2017年で30周年を迎えるのを記念して、横浜市と提携し、市内各所でさまざまなコラボレーションが実現している。
Final Fantasy 1 products are being sold to commemorate the franchise's 30th anniversary, in various places around Yokohama where the collaboration is in effect.
みなとみらい駅では、ファンならぴんと来るメロディーが流れる。
In Minatomira station, fans may recognize a familiar melody drifting about.
さらに、今週末には、市内のホテルの壁一面に、冒険の世界が広がる。
Furthermore, this weekend, a local hotel's exterior wall will be filled with the world's adventure.

Did I translate it right, senpai?

場所のリスト。
Minatomirai
ゲームの冒険。

bite?

But alone is the only way…

djtguide.neocities.org/

There's errors in every line except the third. I'll highlight parts you misunderstood quickly but no actual corrections, sorry.

You shouldn't try translating everything to English, especially in the beginning. You want to keep both languages separate in your mind.

If you're bored with anki, or you're just starting out, and you want to learn some basic words that are categorized by concept, then YouTube is a good place where you can find numerous videos like these:
Japanese Food names:
youtube.com/watch?v=QCUSeutdgV8
Fruit:
youtube.com/watch?v=7MTircU8HHQ
Vegetables:
youtube.com/watch?v=P5_Tq3X-Gao
Colors:
youtube.com/watch?v=v_3O6A2y9yM
Weather:
youtube.com/watch?v=5SKox0gbxIA
Animals:
youtube.com/watch?v=2YfRqAkapmo

Yes, they're corny sing-song videos that might make you cringe, but that's partly why they work, because the cringe factor gives you an emotional response, which will help you to better internalize the words (because, as you should know by now, memories that have emotional significance are much more easily retained). These videos are also valuable because they have comment sections and, in the event that the video is wrong about something, you can bet your ass that there's someone in the comment section who explains in some detail why the video is wrong. This is just something I do to break up the monotony of anki. It's not really useful if you've been studying for a while, unless you're bad at remembering basic words, I guess.

覚える漢字
もっと覚える漢字
先もっと覚える漢字

If you mean that as an imperative, you want 覚えろ

漢字を覚えろ
そして、漢字を覚えろ
その後、もっともっと漢字を覚えろ

I'm not that far yet, but I should've known Kanji comes first and remember after.

No problem user. Trying and making mistakes is better than not trying.

Ok, so the first thing to practice is just learning the written alphabet, right? Which one do I start with: hiragana, or katakana? And then Kanji after those two?

Hiragana first, katakana second. Should take a week to learn. 2 weeks max. Words come after.

Hiragana and katakana comes first. After that there is no perfect method, so just find what works best for you.

馬鹿らしい。あなたは明らかに覚えなかった。

Learning Hiragana and katakana should really only take a week.

映像記憶があるか?

Though of course it will take a lot more practice to improve your recognition speed to instantaneous.

Of course. Obviously.

If you can't memorize the kana in a single day you are literally retarded and should just give up now before you make yourself look any stupider.

You're retarded if you that, considering that
YOU CAN'T LEARN JAPANESE!

I think I asked this in the last thread right before it died, do you think kanji radical study after learning katakana and hiragana is worth it? Why or why not?

Study radicals while you study kanji, since most radicals are kanji themselves.

Thanks

Someone please tell me why I can't attach [だ] to i-adjectives but it's perfectly fine for na-adjectives.
1. 私はビデオゲームが好きだ
"I love video games."
You can omit the [だ] but if you leave it, it adds a declarative and legitimate emphasis to your phrase.
2. 値段が高いビデオゲームはよくないだ <------ this is incorrect
"Expensive video games are not good."
The rest of the sentence is fine, but the [だ] particle does not belong. Why?

you can think of na-adjectives of being nouns

because it sounds gross

i-adjectives are like verbs, so they don't need だ, while na-adjectives are like nouns

Just add のだ or んだ instead.

What does いだ mean?

よくない+だ
正しくない文法。

Doesn't that have an explanatory meaning, instead of a declarative meaning though? They wouldn't really mean the same thing would they?

いいえ。「の」とは名詞の代り。

ああ、ありがとう。

Any proponents of Benny Lewis and his methods in this thread? Or perhaps people against him?

Based on a video I've seen posted of him, he definitely would have been far from fluent in Japanese in 3 months.

The guide in the op is focused more (not solely) around understanding and especially becoming able to read Japanese which, from what I can tell, seems to be the opposite of what he does, which is focus solely on speech. I do agree with him that you have to speak to get good at speaking but I don't think production is where you should be focusing if you can't understand 99% of what people are saying to you and can barely get out a sentence with incorrect basic grammar. Even if you want to focus on conversation and ignore reading for the most part, I think your first priority should be studying at least basic grammar and vocabulary and that even after you get a feel for very basic speech you'll learn a lot more from shutting up and listening than you would speaking a whole bunch and you should still be keeping up with the grammar study.

ちょっと聖也
Hey, Seiya-kun!?
I just heard it from my friend a little while ago.

私というモノがありながら
I'll never forgive you for cheating despite the fact that you have me…

saying 私というものが
instead of 私が just adds even more emphasis *to 私.

jisho.org/search/の

Never heard of him.

You'd be surprised. んだ・んです actually has a shit ton of different meanings. This page in Japanese defines the various different usages and gives examples.

tomojuku.com/blog/ndes2/

大事故ね

We found so many ways to amuse ourselves that we overload our senses. Now, we revert back to re-arranging rooms for pleasures.

Growing up Chinese. I can read them but I can't write them fancy Chinese squiggles.

No. Kanji/Chinese is so god damn archaic they have no right to exist. Sure, English may be retarded but it is slightly better.

The problem is that there is no alternative to kanji. Writing everything in kana is even worse.

Try transliterating a long European / Arabic names into Chinese. For example, Alice Margatroid is spelt 爱丽丝玛格特罗依德。Katakana is an improvement.

Looking for a hand here, anons. I'm translating a lewd book and have gotten stuck on the top-left panel. Best I can guess is it's:

They're at a cafe and he's drinking a beer. But I must be translating that second bubble wrong. I know it's a comic, but what Japanese man can down 11 beers at a cafe? It also has no real relevance to what's going on. Unless maybe she's saying it as though she reckons he could. But even then it seems way out of left field. Maybe that's why she hasn't got many friends.

If it's lewd, I'm going to presume the "nukeru" means ejaculating, as in the book they're discussing was really fappable.

English is a mongrel language, If I remember right it's comprised of Anglo, Saxon, Celtic, Nordic, German, French and some Latin.

Fuuuuuuck. That makes a lot more sense. Especially if her response is talking about it and she means she came 10 times. Still strange she'd use お代わり10杯 instead of 10回. Unless maybe she means the character in the book took 10 loads? But even then it's usually 発 for counting that. And she's not talking about it in the past, either, so…
Either way, thanks, user.

I presume it's just a figure of speech, like how in English you might say "I could go for seconds" on something that isn't actually food.

Haha, shit you're right, too. I googled お代わり10杯 to see what context it's usually used in and yeah it's mostly restaurant reviews.
ほんまに手伝ったね。ありがとう!

気にせんでええわい、困ってる時はお互いさんッス。

Threadly reminder for even the """fluent"""

Behold! An user that speaks truth!

Well yeah, all kanji is just as bad. Kanji + kana seems to be a good system.

Are this and the Japanese Windows keyboard any good? polarcloud.com/rikaichan/
I was thinking of using them to help me study but if they're Google Translate levels of bad then I may as well not bother.

Rikaichan is pretty useful. It lets you hover over a word you don't know to get the definition, rather than having to copy-paste it into a dictionary.

Rikaichan or Rikaisama (Rikaisama is just Rikaichan with some extra features) is a very convenient tool to have at your disposal. The default rikaichan dictionary is JMdict which I think is the main source for definitions on jisho.org as well. What you get with that isn't a definition, but just some potential English equivalents for the word. Sometimes the word/s they give you aren't the best but usually they're good. Not good for if you want an exact definition or want to know the difference between synonyms when they just list the same English word for different words. You can also set it up to use EPWING dictionaries if you don't like the default, may be rikaisama only feature not sure. You can probably find some in the guide somewhere should you want to do so. Pictured are the default dictionary and the daijirin and kenkyuusha EPWING dictionaries. The pop-up only shows entries from one at a time.

Another thing you can do with Rikaisama is use it with the Anki add-on, real time import, to create Anki cards in an instant from the word you presently have highlighted. Extremely convenient if when making your own Anki deck for vocabulary.

どこはepwingファイル?

I'm a bit confused on the use of あなた. Tae Kim makes it sound like an older term that maybe shouldn't be used much, but I see it all the time in music. Not old stuff either, like newer vocaloid and anime music. How exactly is it used? It seems like a more intimate term from many songs I've heard, but I'm not really sure.

It's often used by wives when talking to their husbands. You can also use it in conversation if you need to refer to the other party but don't know them by name/title/etc… and they're not your superior. Though if you know their name it's quite rude to say it instead of their name. Quite the opposite of English where constantly saying someone's name feels kinda invasive and uncomfortable.
At least that was always my understanding. Japanese relies so much on context that when I was over there I don't think I ever used it; and if I did need to assert I was talking to/about someone I likely knew their name.

「epwingファイルはどこ」のほうがいいよ。この「は」は簡単にいうと、何について話してるかを示す。それでepwingファイルについて聞いてるから「epwingファイルは」になる。

There seems to be a few in the cornucopia of resources section of the guide. The kenkyuusha one is labeled 新英和大辞典 something.
djtguide.neocities.org/

なお「どこが」はずでしょう?

訂正ありです。

確かにその文はよくなかった。

「どこ」はepwingファイルのある場所を表してるから「に」を付く。文脈から分かることを省かずに書くと「epwingファイルはどこに(あるか・手に入れるか・こういう類のなんとか)」になる。

「は」と「が」の使い分けは初心者も中級者までに間違いやすいんでその区別をうまく説明できる自信があまりないからそこは遠慮しといてごめんなさい。

I was playing ps3 earlier and I found out that if you put your ps3's system language into japanese you can play games in japanese. I'm not sure how many games support this but I tested a some games, it works for:

Devil May Cry HD Collection
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Persona 4 Arena
Soul Calibur 5
Tekken Tag 2
Virtua Fighter 5 Final

Bump. Do you reps, anons. You can learn Japanese. Take it slow and steady; learning a language is a long term and gradual process. Don't despair if you're not fluent in a year's time, or even three. You must persevere if you wish to succeed.

Been playing dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ112559.html for practice.

24 hours in and I still haven't finished it. It's amazing how much content they stuff into these doujin games sometimes.

Fixed the filename for you.

More like Ursula tries to cheer you up by feigning a smile, knowing full well she stole your power to learn nip.

I like kanji. They make remembering words so easy, especially when you know radicals. Knowing readings of said kanji is harder, and i cant read stuff outloud.

I've heard that trying to continue and filling in the gaps is the best for learning more. But if you want to experience a game then maybe you want to make sure you can mostly read it so you don't have to look things up.

Too much of a spoiler and obviously not true, since she's not real.

When I first started playing games I looked up stuff constantly while playing. That's the best way to learn once you have moderate knowledge imo.

meant for

寝る前バンプ~

Too bad I'm hopeless when it comes to using passive verbs or figuring out what they are supposed to mean.

During the occupation, hamburger authorities debated whether to:
1. Abolish Kanji in their entirety
2. Completely rework the writing system so that only Latin letters are used
3. Force English as a second mandatory language

It is a good thing that they have not done anything.

You guys have unrealistic standards. Some guys I know that live in Japan said it'll take a decade to be fluent. Not that it isn't worth the effort though.

I disagree. I think 3 or 6 months is unrealistic, I think a year is pushing it, but 3 years of constant study should be quite adequate to acquire a basic literacy. Emphasis on the word basic; you're not going to be as well acquainted with the language as native speakers will be but, assuming you actually study, you'll be able to interact with media and hopefully hold your own in conversation (which is sort of its own skill that needs to be developed, and that is somewhat separate from basic competency), which means that you'll be at a point where learning becomes significantly easier. Language learning is a lifelong process, to be sure, but there are different plateaus for differing levels of competency.

I finished Core2k
I still don't know exactly what the fuck i'm doing or what to do now beside keep going with Core6k

Just keep going. Do more study.

Only #3 came to be, as schools in Japan do teach English 7th Grade onward. (They try to teach it during Elementary School, but it's more of a "period where English might be said" sort of program since it's more meeting a foreigner teacher or teacher fluent enough and linking learning with fun, so the English teacher can basically make the time recess and just say "Good work!" and it will count.)

I realized I made an error the other night and to rectify it quickly, with 手に入れる you would use どこで because in that case you are not indicating location of existence but location where the action would take place.

My understanding is that it's as much to introduce them to foreigners and making them not scared of them or some shit like that.

Is there any good website or program to practice grammar with? I've read Tae Kim but I feel like I need some exercises.

Or should I just try and get a better feel for it as I read stuff?

This. Tae Kim is just a reference, use that to figure out grammar as you read.

They are all upscaled, so you are just wasting disc space for no quality improvement over 720p.

Hmmm, gotta love that blur.

Keep going and try to find a language partner.
Lang-8 is not that good for that but it's not impossible to find one there. Hellotalk is definitely easier in that regard. People are more eager.
There are probably other ways as well. Just try to find someone to write and talk with.

The blur adds to the cinematic experience. You wouldn't understand.

I wrongly phrased that.
When I said mandatory, I meant as a second official language.
As in, English and Japanese would have to be treated equally the way some nations in Europe do it.
For example, Switzerland has four official languages and they are all accepted.

As for school work, 7th grade seems a bit late to be starting to study a language seriously if you intend to do it properly and not have to work your ass off to make use of it later in life.
Usually, it is done at some level even in preschool. Later on, you just expand on that.

バンプ~

akko
過去
akko
過去
akko
過去
Is this a shitty mnemonic? Well whatever, it helps me. Fuck you.

As long as it doesn't make you remember it as かっこ instead of かこ

(過去)
括弧の中で過去ってがあるさ。

I mean, her name is akko with two 'k's back to back but they don't usually pronounce it with a brief pause in between the syllables, like なかった or something like that.

悪くないぞ

This thread is so quiet. It's peaceful, really. I don't want to cause too much of a disturbance, so I'll take my leave, but I do want to remind you that it is indeed possible to learn Japanese. You just have to try your best and study hard. Don't give up, user.

Should be に not で。
で is never used with existential verbs.

Except they do.
They don't pronounce it あこ, they pronounce it exactly how it says in romanji: あっこ.

Yeah, well, the pause isn't as pronounced as it is with other words that have such double syllable pauses. At any rate, the mnemonic works because it rhymes, not because both her name and the word 過去 have a 1:1 syllable ratio. I'm sure I could use her name to remember other words that 'rhyme' with it, but this word's kanji have multiple readings when used in other words, (去る、 去年) and this stupid mnemonic helps me remember which reading to use without explicitly taking the time to learn them all.

Whatever works, user. Just wanted to correct the record.
I must add however that the "pause" is always as "unpronounced" as in her name. The fact that it's a double letter in romanji really makes sense since it usually sounds like you start a letter, pause, rewind almost back to then beginning of the letter and go on.
Let me demonstrate what I mean.
Here is what it would be like if it was an actual pause: vocaroo.com/i/s0BGSTWXWZ0R
Here is how it's supposed to be: vocaroo.com/i/s15UZDhFDpzJ

ローマ字。

日本人 literally say ビデオガーム

It just cracks me up.

I know that feeling of yours.

I hear テレビゲーム more often. Also when they hear the word ゲーム they tend to think of video games specifically rather than games as a whole.

I was wondering since ゲームseems to be used almost always for videogames what do they use for boardgames or kid's games?

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to hear different pronunciations of things, like sometimes people blend together their sharp and blunt syllables ( their ご, こ, と, ど etc) or sometimes they'll pronounce a word in a nasalized way that makes it sound different to how it sounds on paper. This is just my experience. I don't know, it could be that I'm projecting some type of interpretation onto how other people speak, or maybe my ears are not well attuned to the language just yet. When I hear akko, the double syllable doesn't sound as sharp as it is with other words. Maybe the voice actresses are affecting their speech, maybe other sources that I hear (news media, random people on youtube, the voice recordings in the core 6k anki deck) are putting more emphasis on the pronunciation. Maybe it's some sort of dialect thing, though that's probably not the case. I guess I'll eventually have to speak with natives to get a better idea of how words are commonly pronounced.

You really ought to. I posted this in regards to that.
I have one regular chick I chat with on the latter of the two platforms. It has helped me immensely. Unless you're some sperg, you can probably make at least one decent acquaintance to write and eventually speak with.
People on lang-8 seem mostly interested in correcting/ getting stuff corrected and not actually getting to know people.
If any other user knows of any other 日本人 sources, I'd hear about them because so far I only know of these two.

I am aware that I'm really sounding like a shill right now but the essence of what I'm saying is that talking to a native, in any way possible, speeds up certain aspects of learning significantly.

遊び。

他人は怖い。

To be honest, the hardest point of learning Japanese so far hasn't been the grammar, or the vocabulary, or the kanji; it's been wrangling my drawn input keyboard to do kanji. I swear sometimes I can just put dinner vague squiggles on the screen and it will guess what I want, but other times I can draw a perfect 昼 and it's like "best I can do is 嵐一''

do I really need a fucking cell phone for this shit?

Make sure you are using the right stroke count/order.

For that in particular, yes. Welcome to the new age. Being on a phone means it has a lot of normalfags on it.

アノンは本当に馬鹿です。
Stop being a dumbass faggot. Go to the gym.

Which ai video is that from?

Reminder that only plebs watch Ai-chan with subs.

Reminder that only plebs watch Ai-chan

Thank you.

You can't learn Siamese.

I think I asked it in the last thread, but I didn't receive any reply then. So, what are you guys doing with leech cards in Anki? I used to check leech cards in the browser every few days and reschedule them, but I'm not sure what is the best thing to do.

I just have my leeches set to "tag only". Not sure what that does, but I don't want any words suspended.

Same.

諦めちゃいけない!

To those of you who are learning Nip to get around the trashy practice that is localization, turns out there's a problem with that:

If you guys wouldn't mind, could you help by translating some of this info and passing it on to 2ch and other sites that the Japanese gather at?

bump.

this thread has been moving slowly lately. here's another bump

Take the hint, fucking weeb scum.

Go back to bed Kotick

Go back to Japan you fucking nip.

You mean the land of video games? I'm already there

Good on you then - go shit up 2ch and stop sperging about about your fucking moonrunes on a board dedicated to fucking video games, din helvetes forpulte hestkuk.

Nigger please, you're the one suggesting people shouldn't git gud at video games here.

while I was complaining about the speed of this thread, I don't think shitflinging is much better user

Hello goon,rather than waste your time screeching autistically about people learning a language to y'know? PLAY GAMES,Why don't you instead dedicate that autism into making a suicide helmet?

Reminder to report and hide goons, don't reply to them.

so after Friday I will have officially passed the halfway point of my individual kanji deck that is composed of the 2136 most commonly used kanji. At my current rate (20 new cards/day), I should be finished with the deck in mid august. After I complete this deck, I will start Core2k/6k. now that I am at the halfway point, I figured I'd start doing other things on top of Kanji studying. with that in mind, I have a few questions I hope you all can help with.
>can I learn Japanese?

Skim through Tae Kim if you want, but you're not going to really get it until you start reading.

Good work, user.

Here's my advice, but I don't follow my own advice, so take it with a grain of salt:
1. Begin core2k/6k and do your daily reps, do it for like a week
2. On weekends, continue to do your reps, but also learn some new grammar principles.
If you do it this way, you can learn the grammar and then actually use all the words you learned throughout the week to formulate new sentences. I'm about 6 months in to core2k/6k, and I don't really study grammar at all. I've watched a few videos and read bits and pieces of Tae Kim and IMABI over these past six months, but I spend the majority of my time with the anki deck. In my opinion, grammar is nothing without words that can utilize it, and grammar isn't really something you need to grind into your head. I mean, yeah it's important to remember the grammar principles in order to use them, but it's something you can see applied in practice, rather than something you need to be able to instantly recognize and recite, like vocabulary words, kana, and kanji are. For example, I know that the だ particle can never be used on i-adjectives. I'm sure there's some reason for that and a detailed explanation somewhere, but who cares, I don't need to know that, I just need to know that i-adjs + だ don't match. In short, I go heavy on the vocab and only gleam through grammar, but I suppose you can do whatever works for you. There's no hard and fast rules, everyone learns differently. Also benis.
It's not that long, it's quite comprehensive and it's more like a primer to grammar than an in depth, advanced level theory. I'd say, a few weeks if you really blow it off, probably a few days time if you SIT YOUR ASS DOWN AND DO SOME MOTHERFUCKING HARDCORE READING MOTHERFUCKER
I dunno, I never bothered with those. I skimmed through Genki, it seems like it's intended for classroom settings, and it goes very deep into grammatical structures from a linguistics standpoint. Seems harder to understand than Tae Kim, and it seems a lot more bloated.

DoJG is as the name implies more of a dictionary than a textbook and so you may find it more convenient to use it as such. You could just read it front to back anyway, but because it's entries are ordered alphabetically you might be better off going in already knowing some basic grammar to better understand them if you wanted to do that.

Learning kanji in isolation isn't too optimal; it's better to be learning at least vocabulary alongside of them. Ideally you want to learn it all at once: grammar, vocabulary & kanji. Then you can actually use the language a bit which reinforces learned information and expands learning resources/capabilities. I would stop or lower the amount of new kanji cards you're doing and start core now, and for any new kanji cards you do do, I'd recommend trying to learn a word which contains it too. Getting kanji out of the way first sounds nice, but it's not when it's at the expense of ignoring other aspects of the language.

おめでとう!

I'm doing vocab and grammar at the same time. I usually just go over 1-2 new points of grammar a day + review somethings, along with vocab grinding, but you could get through something like Tae Kim pretty quickly if you wanted. I go a little slower to not get overloaded with shit. That also frees up time to get in practice with reading/writing something which helps a lot for me.

Does taking an hour to learn 8 new kanji mean I'm dumb? I try to memorise 1-2 readings per kanji along with the general meaning, and systematically memorise the 2300 in order so I can review them in my head at any time.

Thanks for the advice. Leaving the weekend to do serious studying seems like a good idea now that I think about it, I'll leave weekdays to do my reps

8 kanji completely memorized in an hour isn't bad by any means. You need to take the time to absorb the information. Like try reading some manga in Japanese or something once you get to that point, or go on niconico and try reading video titles, or some doujins; that's a good way to learn some kanji that you want to memorize.

don't

Can someone translate this?

thanks guys, guess I'll hold off on grammar studies until I start the core deck

I know. I wouldn't recommend my learning path to anyone else. that being said, I know for a fact that if I don't develop a working familiarity with the kanji first, I won't be able to learn vocab at all

First panel:
Kirby: ハ~イ "Haaaaaaiii" you know how kirby makes that sound.
Above his head: ピカーレ don't think this is a word, it's like a sound effect
Bold text outside of her speech bubble: 驚愕の真実 [Amazed at the truth]
Girl: ハゲだったなんで。。?! まさか。。。あなたが。。。 "You idiot, why?! It can't be…you're…"
Text to the far right: 何言ってんだコイツ "Just what is it that this guy said?"
Second panel:
Girl: キスキタコレ!!!どうぞ イイコトしてあげるから目、閉じて?ねぇ ねぇ "Kiss me please! It'd be a good thing to do, so get up and close your eyes, hmm?"
Third panel:
Above his head: ポカ~ン (he's got like a blank facial expression as he's contemplating)
Boy: キスって固いんだか。。。 "Hard kissing, huh…"
Next to girl on the right: ぐへへ guhehe, sound effect of girl giggling
Girl: 早くトイレでヌかなきゃ "Let's hurry to the bathroom, you rice-brain"
Emphasized text: 無知男子にフェラキッスたまんねーぜ "I'm gonna get fellatio from this stupid boy, the thought of which is making me sweat"

This isn't the translation thread. Stop begging here.

The ハゲ is "bald" presumably referring to Kirby.

The キスキタコレ!!! is the boy thinking to himself what's going to happen when she tells him "I'll do something nice for you so close your eyes"

He's never kissed before so he's thinking "kisses sure are hard, are they…"

She's thinking that she wants to hurry to the bathroom and rub one out (because of how excited she got from tricking him)

Nah, she's gonna keep him in the dark, she's just referring to the kiss she already got.

Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe now censoring Nintendo games in Japan & under development
oneangrygamer.net/2017/06/nintendo-localizers-now-work-with-japanese-devs-to-censor-games-for-western-culture/33309/

archive.is/Nl9i3

The major concern is Nintendo will BS they are making money, and other Japanese gaming companies follow suit.

As part of GG ops, they're thinking of getting in contact with 2Chan and spreading the word. Even if they hate Gaijin like poison, they'll hate this more than the messenger (though the messenger can just be an user as far as they are concerned). And Otaku rage is fucking potent for getting shit done.

They need-
- Japanese IP/Proxy (to post on 2chan)
- Translation of the post they're gonna make there.

>>>/gamergatehq/330858
(Also check the latest GG thread once a fresh one is made.)

'''Put your skills to the test! Save Japan Gaming industry from SJW!"

Biggest problem for me is knowing when certain words are used with a meaning outside of their dictionary meaning. Like, 固い, jisho says it means "hard or firm" but you're saying that the comic is using it to mean hard in the sense that the object of the sentence is "difficult". Fuck me, how can I get a better grasp for this type of thing?

あ- ありがとございます!

I don't want to ruin the thread by filling the thread with requests, like how people ruin draw threads. But it's not like the threads are drowning in them. I'm try to avoid it, anyways.

also I think I'm an idiot and I've been reading it fucking backwards, i.e. left-to-right instead of right-to-left.

Learn Japanese and you won't even need to beg for translations. That's the point.

I've tried, I can't learn japanese.

I've read all Tae Kim, did the first part of Dojg deck, passed through Japanese the Manga Way and yet i don't want to read or start reading. Please help

You didn't try hard enough.

Just do it. You will never progress otherwise.

I know but there is this fucking fear or anxiety about it, like i'll fuck up and my efforts will be vain if i start it.

You're going to fuck up. That's the only way to learn.

You can take example of me. Trying to learn for 4 years and still don't know shit. But there's still hope! maybe…

Going to try again with Yotsuba.
I fucking hope this time it goes better

Why the fuck not? What harm is it? Helps being able to pronounce words/recognize speech and formulate furigana for looking things up. What's the downside besides a bit more work?

I'd think it's a pun because he's kissing a dick.

Are you doing anything more productive with that time?

To be fair it does say to ask for translations right in the op. I too think miscellaneous translation requests should be discouraged and so it shouldn't be included in future threads.

It's not necessarily outside of the dictionary meaning, use a Japanese dictionary; they have actual definitions as opposed to potential translations. The website dictionary.goo.ne.jp has a 類語 section wherein it differentiates between some words with a similar meaning. That said, the way it's being used in a hard/firm sense: he expected the soft lips of a girl, but what he felt against his lips was 固い.

What said, I meant hard as in like a dick hard, not difficult hard.