Games that aged well

Which old games manage to still look good?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!48RjzKaa!q3fQZo0LuI7Kwu36lsTr_V6dtV7qrjlFOp7QTXd_vmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

(pic unrelated, t. Reddit OP)

h*ck off

xD

SotC, metal slug, Katamari, Jet Set radio.

The entire Neo Geo library

That game aged like shit compared to games like chrono trigger 1995 and megaman X 1992.

I beat mother 3 last year and was kinda shocked to find out that it came out in 2006.

Chaos Theory and F.E.A.R. still look good, mostly thanks to great lighting.

Buckets of cum till this day

i agree earth bound aged pretty bad
i finish it in 2012, 2013 and even that time it felt meh. the only thing the game has int it is that giygas has a huge gap compared to the rest of the game.

also for the thread
i still enjoy this game to this day

Starfox 64.

Fallout Tactics

Oh yeah this game was amazing. Sequels kinda sucked though.

There's far more to a well-aged game than just good looks.

Lunar Pool looks quite plain, but it's still one of the best pool video games out there.

Too fucking easy.

A timeless classic

Also all of the SNK games.

Crash and Spyro on the PS1 days unavoidably get brought up.
Visually, I feel like vertex animation made them seem so much livelier than the competition and even compared to some of the bone rigged stuff today. Play-wise they're still fairly solid, although may have occasional bullshit (More on Crash's side with things like pits that hold secrets with no way of knowing or off-camera boxes you may have to accidentally hit.

Hello naughty dog

What the fuck is the purpose of this thread, it's just games that are good considering all modern games are shit and we don't talk about them.

I'd say Deus Ex and Dark Messiah.

Get out

True
Also, great taste
Especially liked the World in Conflict image, that game is too underrated and I still don't know how.
Hows Tom Clancys Endwar?
That shit was shilled soon after

Nice, I'm replaying that now.

I'm also replaying Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the first time in many years since I had an itch for it for some reason. It's kind of comfy. Kind of.
Yoshi's Island I remember being pretty pleasant.

Dang. That reminds me I need to play through Thief. Sitting on it for a while. I need to set it up with my Steam Controller and get comfy with it.

i hope you have arx libertatis mod

Most 16-bit and 32-bit 2D games look great today. The graphics from those eras are timeless

The only games that REALLY aged poorely are games that tried to be photorealistic. In fact, if you want a game to age like shit graphics wise the easiest way to do it is to try to aim for photorealism

Toon shaded 3D graphics for example still look great today after over a decade

So timeless it had to be "remastered" a little over a year after originally releasing.

What's that last game? The one with the cheetahgirl who makes my dick hard.

Dark Cloud 2, AKA Dark Chronicle in PAL (and maybe Japan? Not sure).

It's Dark Cloud 2. She has a lot of nice outfits. Name's Veronica.

3 looks like fucking dogshit compared to 2

Wait no its Monica

Pre-rendered backgrounds are fucking magic. Shame they can only be done without camera control.

Frankly camera control is overrated. Not every game needs it.

Do i create a Infinite Wheels for manager to cuck chan ?

That moment when this shitty artist Flo Rida steal from SH2 OST to create a shitty normalfag song and made millions on it i hope Akira Yamaoka sued the shit out of him

Most gen 3 & 4 stuff still looks good. 2D stuff ages a lot better than early 3D.

Great game

I agree with you user but there are many genres which do need it. I feel that the convention of lacking camera control was limiting enough that it didn't really catch on outside of survival horror, rpgs and point and click.

The only thing that didn't age well for Dead Rising was the controls. I feel like it came out before people had figured out that aiming should be done with the same stick as the Camera, because going back and playing this game makes me wonder just how fluid aiming with the same stick as moving actually felt.

I'd argue that it depends on what part of the era it came out for (as far as 3D graphics go). In a number of cases, developers get better at how to makes stuff look good for a system as they get more acquainted with what it can manage. You're right though that a good graphical style can make up for shortcomings in outright graphical prowess, but that's just my take.

Reminds me of this

Jesus Christ, why are so many people biting?

He says, as he hands him another (you)

I'm feeling generous today. Here, you can have another (you) too.

Pic related, as well as most other rts games before the incredibly ugly 3D graphics of the mid 2000s.

Gimme one too

Here a (you) with love.

Reminder that that fucking nigger literally stole this one as well.
Its mot sampling, its literally stealing
Why is everything mainstream so shit nowadays?
inb4 kikes

kikes. also this godawful "reference culture" that has grown out of stuff like big bang theory. harry potter, and normalfags acquiring memes.

Obligatory

some dos games, some snes games.

Rayman 1. Abe's Oddysee/Exodus. Medieval Totalwar 2. All GTA games. All Hitman games. Halo. Fable.

Rayman and Oddworld can be played today and not seem dated because of their wonderful use of 'stills' that allow for very detailed and aesthetically pleasing. The others are obviously dated on first glance, but one can easily overlook it as the graphics are 'almost there' and once you start having fun you no longer notice.

Quake aged like fucking dogshit though. It's still a great game and plays relatively well but it feels a little bit stale nowadays. It feels like a slightly different DOOM with lesser weapon variety.

Graphically, Rayman 2 aged like fine wine.

It's mainly for the mods and that there isn't anything wrong with it, I would've preferred Romero's original idea but I'm half-glad we got Quake as well.

Halo has dated hard, you go try a look at the original and tell me it isn't a lot worse than you remember.

Halo was never good, I agree everything else about it is great but the gameplay is insulting to everything they crafted for it, forever stuck as casual.

Implying its not meta baiting.

I get bored of playing it too quickly, unlike DOOM which although gets a little boring after a while, always keeps me coming back. Quake doesn't really feel as fun, on one hand I love the atmosphere but at the other I don't feel that it really fits a fast paced action game, which doesn't help with me wanting to come back to the game. Enemies also feel like bullet sponges which is unpleasant. Generally it really shows that it's a game that changed it's direction halfway through even if it is still really fun to play.

Can you recommend any mods that make it more interesting?

This tbh

You best be talking about Halo 2 or 3, because the first one is incredibly clunky

Halo 3 has aged super well visually. Honestly think it has better then crysis, the hyper realism in that doesn't hold up as much

Most of these have either aged well visually or in terms of gameplay but not both

Speaking of which, what are the people who used to talk about undertale on Holla Forums up to?

Every good example in this thread is a proof that graphics stylized differently than "realistically" are superior to "realistically" stylized graphics.

I agree that CE hasn't aged well at all. It's tedious and repetitive and visually monotonous and lacks content relative to it's sequels.

Halo 2 visually has aged pretty poorly but I think otherwise holds up very well. Obviously, I already gave my thoughts on 3 here

Fuck outta here. Earthbound's graphics are one step above Space Funeral in terms of looking good.

They're arguing about some little fag

Most of them realized the message behind the game and let go.

Don't they have their own board?

Check out Marveller's channel, simple videos about Id and GoldSrc mods with no ego personality or talking.

Halo 3 has one of the most underrated art styles in vidya. I only wish they kept some of the material aesthetic for the armour from the beta.

I think it's dead mate.

Naw, its still alive. Its a small community but its still alive

Fucking dogs and playing Night in the Woods.

I'm pretty sure Mother didn't invent that.
So like nearly all early JRPGs.

Time to stop posting

depends on what version you are playing but even the inferior PS1 version looks ok bth

Jacking off to goats.

Breath of Fire 3 & 4 still look pretty great.
Two of the best looking games on the PS1.

This.

Hey I take offense to that. As someone with a goat fetish, I'm sickened to be associated with people who play Undertale.

This is a fighting game I assume?

Wind Waker.

Check out some newer maps, I agree with you fully on most of the original/old maps but modern ones are great, the physics and true 3D levels also add a lot of room for neat tricks with mapping. One big one to try is Arcane Dimensions.

i made one of those

I'm pretty sure it could be possible to some limited extent with panoramic rendering. Honestly not sure why someone hasn't tried that, wouldn't be a whole lot more work.

are you stupid?

Funny how you can only see the negative in things

Neo Turf Masters has the absolute best game over screen. It brings a chill down my spine every time I finish 18 holes. I'm still shit at the game, though

do you think she would like to be fucked while wearing the costume?

Most pixel and semi 3D JRPGs age perfectly fine
Its only once you get to shit that goes 3D it starts looking like vomit

Shit like final fantasy tactics and Grandia? Look fine
Shit like FF7 and cronocross are vomit

hard mode: 5th gen 3D games
nightmare mode: predating mario 64

oh shit nigga what are you doing?

Earthbound and zelda are two of the most boring overrated shit games I've ever played

You alright there lad? I think cocaine isn't healthy.

Majora's Mask aged better I think, because the atmosphere with the low poly graphics works even better after you're used to modern graphics, makes the game feel even more alien and weird than it felt back then

Saying games "age well" is about more than just how they look. It's about how they play, gameplay mechanics, control and pacing. These are far more important than aesthetics.

A game like Quake, which is 20 years old, is absolutely rock solid from a gameplay perspective even though it doesn't look all that great.

Warcraft 2, which is about the same age, looks and sounds good but there are so many "quality of life" changes that RTS games have gone through that make it quite difficult for modern audiences to adjust to, so it hasn't aged too well (Warcraft 1 was only released a year prior and has aged like total dogshit)

Master of Orion 2 looks, sounds and plays superbly. Again, 20 years old.

Mario 64, 20 years old, still plays great. I think that for one of the first big budget 3d platformersit's remarkable it got so many things right.

Ocarina of time is another example where Nintendo transitioned from 2d into 3d with an IP and again, it nails so many things and introduced new concepts like z-targetting which are still used today.

Super mario bros 3 is over 25 years old and probably the best 2d platformer ever made.

Turn based strategy games are possibly the most resilient genre with respect to "aging". Games made during the mid 90s transition into 3d tend to be among those that age the worst, particularly action RPG type games. The original System Shock controls so awkwardly that it's difficult to enjoy the game without using a mouselook mod.

only if you're dressed as link

All Silent Hill games made by team Silent period.
once I manage to hunt down the guy who managed to decode the map format for SH1 I'm going to try to port the whole town to unity and add VR capability.

This game aged really well. Just look how it runs on my machine today.

Idk man, Silent Hill 1 was an early 3d game that tried to go for photorealism and it did beautifully.

The more successful the game was, the more others cribbed from it, and therefore the more stale the gameplay, gimmick, or graphic style.

They practically base Kids React on the premise of showing them old, genre-defining classics and letting them say how dull and uninteresting it is.

I'd fund a "Kids React" series that made them watch truly horrific shit that would cause lifelong psychological scars. The reaction faces alone would be priceless.

2edgy4me

You morons know that -aga is just the third level of a spell in FF, right?

oh my goodness

it's so strange, you explain the joke yet fail to realize there is a joke in the first place.

What kind of shitty undertale clone is this?

I can't believe no one posted this yet

Still the best zelda game.

I have this on the Wii with component cables and it doesn't look as good as the HD remix. I think it does a lot visually but the textures don't look as clean as people hyped it up as on the older consoles.

Close, but nah.

Star Fox Adventures > pre-TP 3D Zelda > Okami > post-TP 3D Zelda > Beyond Good and Evil

Oh yea fam this looks hella dank even today.

I second that, even though I use texture packs. But fuck it, it's one of my favorite games

i was already here
to be on topic, practically all sega model 3 games

I'd list many more if arcade games counted.

It's interesting to think that donkey kong country looks better on an old system because of the polished sprite conversions as opposed to "bleeding edge" 3D models with garbage shaders. Those old Rare 3D models still make me laugh because of how janky they look.

Xenogears, great art style and character/robot designs. Still looks great today.

Not to mention the Wumpa fruit line in front of the pit.

>>>/reddit/
>>>/cuckchan/

Yeah, various SNK fighting game backgrounds.

The Wii version is missing most of the filtering that makes the game look unique and to top it off they tried to hide it y using more bloom.

Not even close.

I went right back to playing "Still the best city builder, FOURTEEN years later."

REMake is honestly one of the best looking games even today.

The art direction is absolutely flawless. Beautiful game.

Haven't they all moved onto Night in the Woods now?

It's absolutely true though. The Halo 3 screenshots I posted look much better then the original Crysis without mods. Crysis has an impressive amount of foliage but has the icky, barren look most older games without postprocessing effects have that cause stuff to stick out.

I disagree, the beta shaders look much worse and doesn't age nearly as well as the more plastic look of the final game

you can't go back, you insulted a sacred sheep of a pc cuck.

I've been trying to improve threads by weeding out the week with genesis

wipe this meme of the face of the earth. It was never good. Fucking 20 SECONDS OF WAKING UP FROM A MINOR CONCUSSION AFTER EVERY NEAR HIT. It's a fucking movie game with platforming elements and not even the slightest hint of a fucking story OR EVEN FUCKING CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT so it fails at being a fucking movie "experience" too.

You unironically made me start listening to and enjoy genesis with your shitposting so thanks.

Despite having furries in it, actual furries seem to really fucking hate that game. I've seen it thrown onto several furry forums, and it meets the same reception as it does here on Holla Forums. Everyone except OP says it's total shit and quickly points out why. Say what you will about Undertale, but comparing it with the complete horse shit that is NiTW is simply wrong. It's like comparing one of the more mediocre Disney movies with some CGI garbage cartoon crapped out by Fox Kids, because both are animated.

you're right. SotC sucks

on lowest, the game has no shadows. by default with stock configs the game doesn't hold up.

I also don't like how they ramped up the contrast.

WHERE CAN I GET MORE?

it's actually not a bad game if you play on the correct difficulty. just increase until you lose spider sense. no more, no less one of the best TPS games if you could ignore all the mindless puzzles and walking through uneventful areas.

Lying nigger.

Funny, I always remember Galo being shit.

Earthbound's graphics look like a slightly more colorful version of the original famicom game's graphics. It's a similar upgrade to the leap from FFIII to FFIV. Damned if it wasn't a quirky game though. Had zombies, dinosaurs, aliens, and a cave full of monkeys.

Fuck you nigger fighting the collosi is fun.

Jesus fuck just leave.

i want to pet loli dogs

That would be Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

It's pretty close.

How about game that aged to scare the shit out of you even more?

and that is my first memory of reading a paid review.

I still enjoy playing Chrono Trigger.

The "paid reviews" issue apparently goes back quite a ways. But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft did their best to keep their mascot on top when it came to competitors back then.

Wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Square did their best to get the press to portray their games competition in a slightly negative light as well, given how IGN has been noted as decrying the likes of Wild Arms as a "filler" JRPG series, as if to say the games have no merit to be played on their own other than to kill time between more anticipated releases.

They are still pulling that shit.

Remember when Ubishit was gonna release Rayman Legends on WiiU and it basically would have been a system seller but they pulled back for a multiplat release and the game was delayed for some reason?

Micro$oft has a stipulation that ANY multiplat games CANNOT come out on other platforms before it comes out on theirs, so even though the WiiU version was done and ready to launch, it was now allowed to be launched until the xbox port was launched.

Good games don't even age because no amount of time can prevent them from being well made. Only bad games that rely on shiny graphics or other gimmickry age poorly, because once their graphics and gimmicks get old all you're left with is a shitty fucking shit game.

The prerendered backgrounds from pre2k games are often of worse quality than 3d games made only a few years post2k, especially if they had animated elements in them.

Playing Grim Fandango right now and with many of the prerendered backgrounds you can see they're only 256 color. See pic: you can see the dithering on smooth surfaces. And this is from the remastered version.

Drawn graphics generally age best.

This was required for 360 games, but is no longer a rule.

My nigger. Williams/Midway's 80s output is timeless arcade bliss.

OP I'll do you one better, Mother 3 looks fucking good, and is also better in every way than Earthbound EXCEPT the music of both games is a tie

good job tbh

God no, aged like shit
Aged about as well as any other early 3d, gameplay is good
Those old GTA games are all clunky as fuck but goddamn can you do some fun, retarded shit
Yes
You fundamentally don't understand what the purpose of this thread is. Games that aged WELL. Not this early 3d blocky shit you posted.

Joust is so fucking good.

Summer and E3 bringing in cuckchan and redditors.

Breath of Fire 5 is really unappreciated, understandably so, however it has some of the best atmospheric storytelling. The whole game you are trying to escape out of an underground dystopia toward the surface; all the maps say how deep you are. At the same time you have a meter of your dragon ability which is OP as fuck but forces you to restart the game if it gets to 100%.

Same spriting team as Ch

*Chrono TRigger

nice b8 m9

Amusingly I bought Wild Arms because my birthday happened to be a few weeks before FFVII came out. It literally was filler. Still love it. Does so many things right. The only drawback is the 3d battles. Well, and that one fucking book choosing puzzle.

One of the last games released for the PSX and one of my favorite. Had a 1999-era Squaresoft art budget; good luck finding better modeling, textures, and pre-rendered backgrounds. The director was literally the same guy who wrote the scenario for the first Resident Evil. If this fact was advertised up front (or covered properly by journos lol) it would have been received much better by RPG fans and drawn attention from RE fans). It's still damn good looking. Play on a CRT with S-Video or Composite cables. There's an actually good and cheap Mad Catz cable set with S-Video and hooks up to PSX/2, GC/N64 and Xbox/Xbox 360.

Muh nigga.
That shower scene still gives me boners.

I like how Aya's sexuality was handled in Nomura's art for PE1 and this particular scene as well. It's a little cheesy but it's more about Aya finally taking a goddamn break and being a normal person (which gets interrupted of course) than boners (but feel free). I miss good action horror protags from that generation. Jill, Regina, Claire, Aya; who am I missing?

Moar screencaps cuz this game is really good looking for a PSX game. It's also mechanically rich for an RE style game. For example, did you know that the Berserker status and Skull Crystal attachment increase the power of disposable combat items like Flares because the game treats its damage multipliers like Parasite Energy?

I've honestly wondered why the first Parasite Eve is so cheap at second hand stores, yet Parasite Eve II can be well over double to triple the cost of its predecessor. I wasn't aware it was such a late PS1 game; did that make it sell poorly compared to the first or something (IE: everyone was getting focused on the PS2 and it sold poorly, ala how the Gamecube's Baten Kaitos Origins would later when the Wii would be released shortly)? I'll admit I'm not all that versed in Square's work and the circumstances around the releases of certain games, other than how budget cuts screwed some of them.

I really love the series and in your case, yeah, I can see how it was indeed filler for you given the circumstances. I just don't like seeing an otherwise enjoyable series apparently be relegated that "title" by big name media, as if the games honestly had nothing of value to offer on their own other than that.

The first PE sold like hotcakes because it came with a third disc that had an FF8 demo or trailer iirc; I don't feel like digging it out right now but that certainly helped. It was also relatively unprecedented as a mainstream 3D horror RPG-lite and achieved cult status quickly even among some plebs and normalfags. The PS2's release did screw it over, as did the PE1 fanbase's sense of betrayal for getting a sequel with a total gameplay shift in an era where innovation was praised by reviewers over execution because elitist journos and everyone read gamer rags. Edge had many shitty journos on its staff and of course hated it. It was received lukewarmly by many outlets as a "Resident Evil clone" in a time when the FPS genre was still referred to as "Doom clones". Naoshi Mizuta's ambient tracks, which he spent two years developing, were also controversial as they were seen as a downgrade from one of the best OSTs ever composed by Yoko Shimomura. This is despite how perfectly the music fits the setting and increases feelings of isolation and tension. What's humorous to see now is upon its 2013 PSN re-release, is how many modern reviewers and gamers hate it purely because they fucking suck at games. It did sell well enough to get a second printing but wasn't as popular or beloved as its predecessor. For action horror fans though, it certainly qualified as a 'hidden gem', despite being released by the fifth largest publisher at the time.

I see, thanks for the information

Yeah, that combination doesn't seem to happen too often and, outside those who play fan-translations (which offers Sweet Home), Parasite Eve definitely seems to be the one that people flocked to, again if availability is to go by. Meanwhile other attempts at a "Horror/JRPG hybrid" have seemed to be few and far between (plus as you mentioned, PEII had a gameplay shift), and what few other attempts that weren't Parasite Eve seemed to be harshly criticized and/or sales flops. Not to speak on Parasite Eve's quality without playing it myself (it's still on my backlog), but its made me wonder if people might have been more willing to give it a go, and perhaps more lenient with it, due to the pedigree behind it, or if maybe the amount of "space on the shelf" for horror JRPGs is so small that the first Parasite Eve managed to sate the demand for most people, even these days. Or perhaps the reception of others that weren't Parasite Eve has kept developers from wanting to try it more? Again, not that familiar with Square's works or the fanbase at the time myself, so I'm not too sure how much might have factored in.

Yeah, I can see how that might have been the thought about the gameplay-shift. Strikes me that hybrid games utilizing various genres run the risk of angering a portion of people that might be interested in it, and trying to cater more towards the base that's not as interested you'd risk possibly pissing off the people that had been there before.

Not sure she counts as the game's turn-based rather than "action", but as it's still "horror", I rather liked Koudelka Iasant.

I'd really like another game like Dino Crisis or Parasite Eve.
It doesn't even have to be in these universes.

Why can't we have something like this anymore?

Parasite Eve has a lot going for it and is worth playing.

Combat still manages to be boring and repetitive and the level design leaves a lot to be desired. Inventory space is really limited but in no sense is it worth spending XP to increase it. Trips back and forth to home base will be frequent.

Gun customization isn't really useful since the good powerups stack and you always want the same ones and you don't know that Heat and Cold are fucking awful because some enemies have defensive 'type' modifiers and the offensive 'type' bonuses are totally unnecessary. Blast, Cyanide, Acid, Attack x2, you're welcome.No, Cyanide and Acid don't come up often at all but at least your damage isn't reduced in any given combat. You always want armor with Auto-Potion so you save that CR Vest and a Super Tool (or just a tool if you don't need to move the stat bonuses) for the endgame. You pretty much specialize in making one supergun and one superarmor to carry you the whole game.

There is an awful sewer level (you will have nightmares about it) and an awful final level (of course, cool bosses and enemies).

This is also back from when developers pushed strategy guides so good luck finding half the good shit on your own.

Shin Megami Tensei is kind of horror-themed and dark but yeah, not the same kind of thing.
Koudelka and Shadow Hearts are definitely cousins of PE; glad you brought that up.

It's also really really fucking hard to make or write good horror and it's a niche genre compared to EAMaddenofDutyfield Brothers.

Yeah, it's not like I haven't had interest before, but my backlog's big in general anyhow. Both PS1 Parasite Eve games seem the sort to handle well on a PSP, or would the lack of L2/R2/Right Analog hamper them?

Yeah, I enjoyed them all, but the PS2 games do handle things in a sort of opposite spectrum: Koudelka being more a horror game with JRPG/lite tactical elements, and the Shadow Hearts games after it being JRPGs the horror elements left to the plot/designs.

because God stopped loving us. The mainstreaming of gaming stopped rewarding developers for making cool weird settings. Imagine trying to pitch Parasite Eve in 2017 to a AAA executive.

this made me have a giggle

I distinctly remember Spyro1 having issues with disappearing polys (esp. when large ground polys intersected the camera)

your point stands but I remember it being rough

if you can button-map I'm pretty sure you can make 2 work on PSP. 1 should definitely work without much trouble.

Action-horror is a hard balance to strike in a satisfactory way. Put too much action (which necessitates player character competency) in your horror game and you end up with RE4+ and Dead Space. Too little action and you're Silent Hill. PE2 is close to a 60/40 mix which hits a sweet spot. Dino Crisis, RE2 and 3, and PE2 are similar in that way.

PE1 is almost too easy but the oh shit factor of the bosses and Aya's power level…

Tension has to come from both the combat system which is by necessity well-developed since action-horror is combat heavy, and the atmosphere/theme/setting which confirms or creates the players assumptions about their character's relationship with the horror world they're in. PE1 manages this with pseudo real-time combat; the player has more agency in battle thus more risk/tension when you can move around; unlike other JRPGs, I think this is the important takeaway from its success in matching mechanics to thematics for maintaining tension. You can always move but can't always attack; hindered combat ability is elemental to survival-horror so it's a good transplant.

Aya as a competent cop/FBI agent with weird powers that start out very weak is a good match to enemies whose evolution have been accelerated through those same powers to a higher level than her own. That other humans have to deal with this shit and deal with it poorly, and you are alone in your fight, and you fight a lot… etc.

One more thing essential to genre-bending: killing enemies gives you rewards but health is scarce or tightly regulated, weaponry the opposite

Almost a decade ago.

Somebody post THAT webm

Software doesn't really age, it's the same now as it was when it was released, it's not magically better now like wine or cheese.

Okay.

Games (or entertainment in general, really) doesn't exist in a vacuum. The value you get out of something is affected by the things existing in the same space, and also by the world as a whole, everything else you experience. That's also why people value originality. Originality is meaningless when you consider a work on its own.
Software doesn't change over time the way wine and cheese do, but neither do books, paintings, music, movies, etcetera. Even then, the appreciation of those changes over time, and it's the same with video games.

Not true, it's still going on as there was a problem with the Friday the 13th game (required a patch for the Backer DLC to work right) and while the Sony one was done at the same time as the PC one, eveyrone had to fucking wait until the xbone verson of the patch was done before we could get it.

user, did you actually play PE? No one likes a secondary.

You don't need to throw Undertale under the bus just to protect Earthbound.

If anything Undertale is testament to how well Earthbound aged, that it could provide the framework for a game to be so successful over a decade later.

it's a joke about how a cop protagonist would be received in CURRENT YEAR, calm down. I figured the feminism joke would be a tip-off.

Daniel is the shit, especially on Day 6, where he is the most badass normal person ever. Jumping out of a helicopter into the ocean just to hurl a magazine full of Maeda's ammo to Aya to finish the final boss while spontaneously combusting is unforgettable.

I did like that the Chief, who seemed like a bit of a hardass, did his best to back Aya up in general and protected Ben from Sheeva.

Got it on the gog sale. Hope it's going to be as good as people claim it to be.

I know internet autism is a joke but is this a real case maybe?
or maybe bait

it's this moment I wanted a Federation game
I'm sad.

HALO was objectively a better FPS than Metroid Prime, you Nintendolt.

I am out of touch with this shit, they really allow that on patreon?

I mean I know it's huge but still
mega.nz/#!48RjzKaa!q3fQZo0LuI7Kwu36lsTr_V6dtV7qrjlFOp7QTXd_vmI

"Jeez Joel, I guess that's the last orifice."

Forgive my pleb taste, but I have a soft spot for this game. It's been 10 years and that delicious design is still great.
Such a fucking shame it was short and linear as fuck.

You're focus is on the player, not the game. Software may as well exist in a vacuum since the platform it runs on doesn't exactly allow it to change outside of its own rules.

Even in the context of the player themselves that too may as well be a vacuum, the experiences and preferences of an individual are their own and confined to themselves. I don't think it's fair to say appreciation can change over time when that's wildly subjective, there are plenty of people today that play video games older than they are despite the world changing. I remain firm that software age doesn't affect anything, the only variable here is the player, not the game. The game remains the same forever while people change. A good game should be good forever, if you play a game today that you liked then, it was probably always bad.

Careful, you're in a jungle of PS2 nostalgia goggles in this place

Aw shit, the hipsters woke up.