Mimics

How would you implement mimics in a game in a completely new way? Were ladder / checkpoint mimics ever a thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=1174780
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Evil but clever.

Chrono Trigger has save point mimics in Magus' Keep.

A colossal bridge mimic

Make them things that aren't treasure chests. Unless you're already talking about mimics that can be anything, in which case you can't. The point of a mimic is to fool the player/npc into thinking that the item is safe.
The final checkpoint in IWBTG was a mimic. Really fucked me over hardcore the first time I got to it.

REMINDER THAT MIMICS MADE FINDING TREASURE LESS CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION

Mimic party members. I know rocket slime let's you have one as a tank ally, but I mean more of a main character or party member.

Boss Mimic

Just have like the boss be a big stuffed animal type thing of the real boss and then boom Tears open Sharp fucking teeth

A mimic weapon. Ten minutes into the game, you find the "Ultimate sword of God Slaying +99" or some shit, and it apparently has insane stats. But as soon as you hit anything with it, it explodes and kills you.

What if mimic was a girl?

Quicksave Menu Mimic

A mimic that hijacks your menu options.

how the fuck do you read that ?
Is the right part the screenshot of the first post on the left ?

To add to this issue, they didn't reveal all spoilers.

Loot mimics. Potions or whatnot that normally you'd just click rapidly take take take take when searching a corpse or a drawer or something without even thinking about it or really reading what you're taking. Maybe make the tell a minor spelling error like "Heatlh Potion" or a slight cosmetic difference and if the player takes it, it attacks them.

Final Fantasy XII had save point mimics. Right when you want a brief reprise or have no health they are there to fuck you up. It's also a tiny different between actual save crystals and mimics, being the sprites that rotate around a nearby crystal. I also believe there was one placed directly after a boss fight, too…

how do you reveal all spoilers by default? I goggled and can't find anything.

A reverse-mimic, something that looks like a monster but is an item.

A checkpoint one is in IWBTG, although it has the dead giveaway "EVIL" written on it.

Ctrl+A.

Tupperware mimics

A mimic as one of any breakable container, like vases or crates. When you break it, a rapidly growing slime can be seen beneath the pieces of the broken container. The pieces shift around on the outside of the slime until it finishes forming into a beastly shape and dries out/hardens, becoming armored sections on the mimic beast.

I imagined some sort of game with Parasyte-esque creatures rarely mixed in with normal ones. It could apply to bosses too.

Loli mimic.
You think it's a loli but when you get close it turns into the FBI.

Going to shoot you before throwing you out of plane, fucko.

what if the entire chapter was a mimic

Do you know if these were present in the Zodiac version as well? I seem to have no recollection of them or their attacks.

As a completely normal waifu who is totally a real waifu and not a mimic what so ever.

I want a game in which you play as a mimic

You lay in wait until you can molest and rape qt adventurers

The girls you rape will breed more mimics of different kinds

Try to go for a mimic army and spread your mimic children throughout the world

Hoard more treasure and rape more qts, make your children spread your bloodline to other dungeons and shit

Become mimic emperor

Game mimic:

OP asked for using mimics in a "completely new way" user, that one is super common.

Also I'm just going to post more Mimic Princess

It's like you didn't even try for the secret extended happy ending

>Not the Error Message Mimic

Highlight and do the screenshot in chunks that sort of thing.

I have a better idea, when you get close loli turns into a milf.

Now that is plain fucking evil

What's wrong user?, she likes you so much she got you a gift

mimics need to be more of a thing in my fantasy strategy games. that wont piss anyone off.

I would use mimics as the rogue archetype in a monster raising/fighting minigame
I say minigame because the main game would be a mostly unrelated autism simulator of some sort
Unlike other monsters, mimics would gain abilities and grow in power based mostly on their equipment, which in this case would be the chest or whatever you put them in, that you make by hand with some lightly simulated carpentry/engineering

Are traps mimics? I mean if we're saying a mimic is a container filled with spiky teeth then maybe not but if you're generalizing it to mean only "something that deceives a person into seeing it as something else" then I'd think that'd fit.

In every sense of the word, now that you mention it

Mimics are traps but not all traps are mimics

No. Not all chest traps are mimics, and not all mimics are chest traps. Some mimics can be disguised as doors or altars or other dungeon dressing.

Jesus Christ.

>something that looks like a monster but wants benis

You really can't do much with a mimic anymore these days.

Because, hurr durr, once people know mimics are in the game, they start striking everything.

Reminds me of this shit NIS game I played a while back. Legaista or something?

Long story short, Mimics were one of the most dangerous enemies in the game simply because they had the highest speed peroid.
There was an ability that let you check for mimics, but this is one of those bullshit everything is unfair games, therefore if you use the ability- if the chest was NOT a mimic, it had a chance of instantly destroying or leveling down whatever item was in the chest.
The other ability! Which made the items in chests better, since 90% of the time they were shit, had an 80% base chance of making mimics stronger.

Not only that, your weapons and armor were destructible and mimics could just pacman their way through your shit leaving you completely helpeless in seconds.

currency mimic

Every character is a mimic, but they think they’re not.

i like the idea of NPC mimics. like someone you think is safe, and you talk to them and they become hostile. this would have to be a game that allows you to move while talking to people and doesnt lock you in, and maybe they get close to you while talking. their attacks should be very sudden with very little warning. not like the elder scrolls "surprise hostile"

i could see this working out in a forest or something with imps, woodland children, or fairy faggots or something.

id like to see the classic "that was just a test!" boss keep doing it until you figure out that he's just using that as an excuse for losing to throw you off guard. like beating a guy that bows down after taking most damage and saying "ok, enough. i'll let you pass, that was just to test your resolve. you are worthy, come closer" then attempt to deal an extremely powerful attack when you get close enough like a self destruct or last resort AOE power.

Came here to post this bullshit.

At least it turns into a save for one frame before deleting itself, so if you're not shit at the game you can save.

what if all save points are dead mimics and when you load your game the mimic spits out a clone of you?

This.

They're cool enemies but they're a one and done type of them. Once you've been fooled once, it is very unlikely you will be again. So you either make a ridiculous amount of mimics for many things to keep getting the player, which could easily border on being cheap or you have to accept that nearly all of them will be wasted.

But what if… the entire game map/world was a mimic?

THIS THREAD IS A MIMIC
CLOSE THE BROWSER QUICKLY

Wall mimic
mouth is on the mexican side, acting like a door

I'd just piss everyone off by making the final boss of the game a mimic, that's sure to annoy the fuck out of people.

Just wait for the real thing.

Oh yeah, on the topic of mimics.

at least some anons remember the true meaning of Christmas

Nice try, Close Button Mimic

That is about as unoriginal as it is fucking gay

what's wrong with you people? why do you like shit like this?

Because there might be treasure in that chest, user.

/monster/ stop leaking and go back to your containment board.

Don't you dare to shoot at it!

What chest?

>>>/reddit/

No, I don't care that you're actually baiting. This sort of trash bait belongs on reddit and so do you.

I agree, does belong in the trash.

that thing next to the loli is pretty cute.

I Wanna Be the Guy has one hiding over the actual final save point.

The trash is a mimic.

Chrono Trigger had save point mimics

YAME- YAMEROOOO!!!

GOD DAMN IT!

Cursed items act like mimics and should be in more games. They give players more variation of challeneges. Roguelikes do this but more games should have a ring of darkness or an unmarked potion that explodes

>>>Holla Forums

been done

That pic was really cute until I scrolled down.

What if a mimic was a party member or otherwise something useful?

you mean a party member turns out to be a mimic the whole time or a mimic joins your party?

Say Generic Hero Guy kills a vampire lord and then his spoopy castle gets mothballed and sits empty for 20 years, unknown to everyone a lone Mimic in the corner the study goes stir crazy, depressed and hungry cos someone put a regular trunk on top of him when Vlad got dusted. You sneak in one night exploring/thieving and unwittingly free the mimic while rooting through the trunk.

Grateful Mimic is your rolling inventory/companion, you throw all your ill-gotten collected shit into it rather than hauling 300lb of loot on your person and all he wants is the odd enemy to scarf down.

Then during the Boss Fight at the end he gets his lid ripped off saving your life.

the latter, where the mimic becomes a party member or you have a friend who is a mimic.

… I'm reminded of The Maw and Starfox Adventures.

You run around as the guy doing the thinking work while your wandering treasure chest is the true muscle and you gotta find ways for it to gobble up the baddies while feeding it stuff.

Didn't Dankness II do something like that? I recall either staying in the dream crazy house, or destroying the darkness, but it turns out that your hot emo gf was the angel all along and now your stuck in Hell for eternity.

Has thereever been a mirror mimic? Like the character sees their reflection but if they get too close they get consumed by it?

Right after the fucking Mandragoras. They can easily become the most difficult boss in the entire game.

Actually now I think Rincewind's trunk in Discworld kind of works like that too but that was just a point and click thing.

Chrono Trigger did it first.

What if a mimic was a pretty cool guy that you just needed to show the proper respect and he'll politely move out of the way?

I fucking hate this, man.
You could get a really evil DM who could come up with creative shit for mimics to turn into, now it's always the same thing.

I suppose you could give them a secret agenda, make it so 'all' mimics are actually the tools of a shadowy cabal of assassin warlocks (or whatever) looking to make a mint killing off the big bad whose manor they're placed in, or indeed any would-be hero or thief trying their hand at clearing the place.

Prey did Mimics good. They could be any object in game including health and items. Not only that but you can become a mimic too.

What is that?

I hope kojima's new "game" has that.

ff9 had one or two I think.

Getting dangerously pissed-up on champagne I think.

We need a game mimic. You think it's a real game, but when you boot the mimic it deletes all your saves & installed titles.

So a virus?

Shit, I remember that nigger.
I just about fell out of my chair when they figured out the moon temple thing and I thought it meant moon mimic
I never thought he could have topped the treasure shoggoth.

This topic reminded me I wrote down some notes for a mimic based game. Are any of these ideas good? Please be kind, these aren't really fleshed out ideas.

Mimic World: Open world exploration where everything can be a mimic. Space Crew comes back to earth planet of the apes style & every human is gone, but the world seems just as they left it.

Spoilers: The entire Earth is a Mimic

Save points are Abandoned Gas Stations that run upbeat convenience store music. Game takes place from sunset to the break of sunup, & is mostly at night.

I think it could work. Just imagine Dark souls where the entire game is that slow "you never know what's behind the corner" moment.

I would want to use a small screen you can toggle on & off in the corner of the hud to see if a mimic is sneaking up behind you (imagine trees or garbage cans with legs sneaking up behind you).

Alternately: Maybe an optional real world radio that synch ups to the game could release radio static like in silent hill (should be some kind of slight audio cue that a mimic is near)

So basically Dark Souls mixed with Silent hill & some of the camera checking from that Friday nights & freddies game.

Trees are mimics, streets are mimics, rocks are mimics, even the sun can be a mimic & fuck you over by making you think it's about to rise (fucks with your resource management?).

I thought of the idea while doing midnight bike rides through the woods in the dark. A lot of the time I would pass a tree or something & think "Was that tree always there", or"man, I never noticed that rock there before". It gave me vibes like the trees were walking around & then replanting themselves every time I went for a ride.

Maybe that could be worked in? Paying attention to the placement of things in the environment would be a good gameplay idea because you would always be second guessing if a house or a tree was in a different place when you revisit areas. We need more urban exploration games.

And you lost me there, summershitter.

Should have called it a Nioh-like if it upset you that much.

So Temple of Elemental Evil

What about reverse-mimic?
Where the mimic pulls a fast one on MC but in reality the MC is a mimic-eating mimic.

in Final Fantasy 12 they had mimics for chests and save point. The save point ones were usually far from the last save point, so when you ran into them they would just fuck ur shit up fam.

HOLY SHIT I LOVED THIS SHIT AS A KID AND FORGOT THE NAME

That's pretty damn good

fuckin hell dude, if I wanted to read that much I woulda just picked up a book

Cute

You could become a mimic? Now that's a breakthrough in mimic technology.

oh right

I think I drew that Electrode and Voltorb combo. It's been so long I can't even remember. Was that saved from /vp/ years ago?

Ah don't worry. There's some of us still out there, creating interesting mimics

But why would someone knock on the door before throwing a man in jail?

i just grabbed it off a booru. pretty cute though so if you did draw i will say 'nice goin'

uhh actually, thats only in impossible mode, all other modes have the save spawn permenantly after you kill it

why would there be a mimic in some random dude's ohuse though?

If you mimic a mimic do you get a treasure chest?

Mimi angry about the election results I see.

Make two variants of mimics; one that is akin to a hermit crab setting up shop inside of a sea shell, and another that's more akin to a malevolent spirit that possesses objects and gives them more beastly features. The idea is to make it so the former are killed like regular enemies, while the latter requires the objects that the ghostly mimics are inhabiting have to be damaged to the point that they cannot be used, or outright destroyed.

Mad scientist was in the basement, planted it there in order to get rid of those who crossed him.

It's a glory hole and it eats your dick off.

What if all beds are mimics and that's what happens when you sleep?

Nioh has wall mimics which watch you and get pissed if you hit them or emote improperly towards them.

Mimic bags, sacks, backpacks and armor.

Also found and gems that are actually deadly insects like scorpions or spiders just all folded up.

Speaking of which, what is the biggest mimic type boss in any vidya? The biggest I can think of is the demon wall from final fantasy.

A game where you are a mimic.
The more hero you bait the more powerful you become and therefor better appealing and more luring heros….

easy, make them fuckable

I want a dark fantasy game where reference is made to the treasury of a fallen kingdom, only for the player character to get there and discover that the entirety of the treasury is actually a massive mimic. You have to fight a massive golden undulating mass of tentacles with gemstone teeth while trying to identify safe bits of actual treasure or wooden furniture to get your footing on.

But it'll never happen.

At best I'll hope for mimic doors.

undermeme and chrono nigger copied pic related which was a jap only saturn launch title

Truly a masterpiece

seek help

ur mom lol

You seem to be losing cognitive function, you should go see a doctor about that.

well ur mom lol

This guy knows whats up

A mimic-themed dungeon that is, itself, a mimic. The first half of the bossfight is escaping the dungeon without getting digested, the second half is the dungeon itself. This after going through a whole dungeon where every door is a mimic you have to kill and after killing a chest mimic and getting the treasure it turns out the treasure is another smaller mimic.

Notable exception: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, and Dark Souls 2: SotFS on NG+. SotFS keeps the first mimic you generally encounter the same as the one in DS2, but changes the location of every other mimic to chests that were safe in DS2.

NG+ SotFS also changes normally safe chests into mimics, like one of the chests in the starting town.

I've brought it up a million times and I'll bring it up again: You are describing the cut mimic covenant from DS2. They decided to not let you do this.

Food mechanic ingame? Have Mimic food that bites your face.

Why

do

you

type

this?

Why does every sentence have a new line?

You'd like Divinity 2.
There is no rule 34 of her. That needs to change.

Because phoneposter.
Long text lines on a small screen will turn into multi-line paragraphs, and next sentence w/o additional empty line will blend into, making it monolithic text block.

Just filter namefags.

Normalfag/10

Exactly, they're amongst us.
It was example to show, if you troubled comprehending, go witchhunt somewhere else then.

I wasn't talking to you directly, I meant it as a more general thing to people who post on their phones.

My mediocre autism strikes in a least appropriate time and form

because in the tiny quick reply box the sentences are compressed down to multiple lines

Have a game where you can have relationships and what not, so when you chose the mimic girl and at the end of the game she gets revealed and it's either a cutscene or you do a final boss fight after the normal final boss fight and chose your fate. Either kill the girl you love and married or die.

You can make the reply box bigger you fucking inbreed mongoloid.

here you go. Enjoy.

Well then you basically have a the luggage from Discworld. Which is basically a mimic that when befriended acts like a storage for anything, but could accidentally eat the headmaster.

I just wanted a reason to post more Mimic Princess

House Hunters, basically living mimic buildings, are rarely used.

Slight change in design and you're good to go.

That's the best part

What if your gf was a mimic

its called a wife

Got more like this?

Armor mimic.
An insidious little fucker that disguises itself as armor, and has good stats, the second you put it on you cannot take it off, it waits until you're in a crowd of enemies to pop off, dealing damage and making you completely armorless.

I'm more obliged to think the guy trying too hard to fit in is the Summerfag

Does the armor do other things when you've put it on?

I've been looking for that picture! Thank you!

This is my new canon for why Arthur's armor is so terrible.

There's more related stuff on the artists' Pixiv, but that one seems be a one-off
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=1174780

Don't you need an account? Jesus does nobody repost his stuff anywhere?

FUCK

Player is using a mod that makes Mimics extra aggressive, so they actually hunt for you

Gamepad mimic.

It waits till you're alone at night playing an intense game then suddenly jumps and grabs you by your head.

Wanna play a game about being a mimic?
Check out mimicry man

Please end yourself

Which head?
The one down there?

Those fuckers were one of my worst nightmares in Nethack