Creatures 2

Anyone remember this thing? I still have the CDs for the physical game in the original box in my basement, but I had completely forgotten all about it I remembered it just today scrolling through GOG browsing random things, they're selling C1 and 2 for a dollar

I played it when I was maybe ten or something. My memories of it are pretty fuzzy, but I know I had the general idea of the game, although getting things to happen the way you wanted them to was always irritating. Your Norns sometimes don't sleep when they're tired, or they'll get hungry and not eat, or they'll be spastic little tards with chronic depression and just won't lighten up. I remember sometimes they'd learn the wrong words for things and even despite positive and negative reinforcement for the correct word they'd stick with it their whole lives regardless.

Still, I remember that the game had some wonderful charm and mystery to it, as much as it felt like herding cats. The one thing I could never wrap my head around as a kid was the syringe system and various other complicated "meddling" mechanics. I knew what basic things did back then, like injecting them with liquid food (I think that was a thing) when they were hungry, or aphrodisiacs, stuff like that, but there was still a giant list of chemicals and compounds for which there was no explanation and I was just lost.

For those of you that remember this game what was your experience with it? Back in the day I never got very far because things would eventually get messed up and I just wanted to start over. Farthest I ever went was probably 3 or 4 generations. Would have posted more screenshots but not much comes up when you search for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

mrl.snu.ac.kr/courses/CourseSyntheticCharacter/grand96creatures.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I never figured out what the goal was. I didn't know what you could do with the game, and it was just watching a boring ant habitat for me.

I had the first on my Playstation but I was like 6 so I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.

I don't think there really was a goal, outside of exploring the map and trying to have your Norns successfully propagate self-sustaining generations. It was more sandboxish than anything else. Getting your creatures to successfully do things and set up one generation who could breed and teach the next was still a giant challenge back when I played it though.

omg is summer over yet?

t. butthurt summerfag

I recently did a docking station wolfling run that ended with the last norn alive being a complete hypochondriac who bitches about being ill despite the health analyzer showing nothing wrong with them. Other than that my experience is mostly them getting addicted to the language machine or to the call elevator buttons, I think the hunger and sex drives should have been made slightly stronger in the default creature's brain because you usually wind up with a bunch of retards who can't do anything for themselves a bit like what modernization is doing to humans

It is rewarding seeing the pack of little degenerates you've created when one responds "maybe push norn" to "I'm bored"

t. thinly veiled summerfag

Congratulations, you are the cancer. You don't even understand what "summer" means, you're underage b& spouting irrelevant memes.

I'm trying to play it on my current system and it's a bit wonky. Sometimes the hand is invisible or other things don't show up, an error will pop up freezing the game. It sounds like you accomplished more than I did, I always tried to set up a somewhat self reliant Norn society and it seemed like no matter what I did they always required much more babysitting than I would have liked.

I remember is from a long time ago, I bet the share thread has it in the archives. I only played the first one though.

We will never have a new generation Creatures game and do eugenetic experiments.

If you're having trouble try the GOG version. If you don't mind creatures 3, docking station's engine might work better, and it's the only option on linux.

write it nigger. all the techniques are decades old at this point and easy to read about.

Breddy gud idea if the game somehow incorporated ideologies into the mechanics and psychology

I've never played 3 so I don't actually know how it differs from 2. Is it basically the same thing with just a few more bells and whistles and slightly better graphics?
Are they? Coming back to this as an adult I sometimes wonder how precisely they coded the AI behavior for the Norns. I would assume that, building it from scratch, it probably wasn't easy to do, but I know absolutely nothing about coding. All I know is that at the time, the cornerstone of the game was the learning behavior of the creatures, and that it was hailed as "complex and deep." I don't know if that was actually true or just all marketing.

Didn't the creator of this game make some kind of horrifying Norn animatronic with AI?

Will Grandroids ever actually be released?

I'm pretty sure there was an underlying hidden goal in this game. There are areas of the map I couldn't get past no matter how hard I tried, though it looked completely feasible.

Holy shit, user.. This game.. THIS FUCKING GAMEā€¦

I'd completely forgotten about it until you made this fucking thread.. But holy fuck user, this is a blast from the past.. This is like my childhood coming back to haunt me, this is.. Jesus.. You've rekindled the autism in me. Well done. Anyway..

This game was a fucking hoot, but I seem to remember not knowing wtf was going on most of the time, and actually extending a lot of patience trying to work out what was going on. Very cool game regardless though, and the creatures were cute. I remember trying to force the creatures to actually go underground, but never getting very far down.. If I recall correctly, that, incubation and breeding was the main goal of the game, alongside just fucking about with your creatures obviously.

Thanks for reminding me of this game btw, OP.. It was comfy as fuck. Brings me back to my childhood too.. And fuck you for making me feel so old

I heard that there were people joining up communities to discuss ways of torturing these critters and posting their save files, and then counter communities sprung up dedicated to heal said critters.

Don't know about that, but there were some fun eugenetic communities focused in breeding the best Norm.

I searched for anything I could to genetically engineer eggs by fusing two norm files into some unique genetics.

Creatures is one of my biggest vidja influences. I'm very suprised something like it hasn't been made since, but I suppose the market for simulation toys is pretty well dead.
like a lot of other people I played it as a child without really knowing what to do, and only came to appreciate it many years later.
My favourite little tidbit about the series is that the evil creatures are actually running on an identical simulation to the norns, however whenever they try to interact with something in any way it's rewired into a punch instead. It paints the conflict into a whole new light.

If you want to peer behind the curtain there was a technical overview written that explains the basics of how the genetic system works mechanically.
mrl.snu.ac.kr/courses/CourseSyntheticCharacter/grand96creatures.pdf

I bought this game because of this thread. Creatures 2 has so many issues. I make a new world (essentially a new game) and choose to not password protect it. Lo-and-behold, it requires a password on the next launch with no way to actually open it.

The first one works just fine though. So anyone wanting some nostalgia or to experiment, or watch Norns eventually kill each other in all out war, don't touch the second game, but the first works with no problems.

The second game works fine for me apart from an occasion hiccup here or there. There should have been a default world when you start the game, you could have chosen that, it has no password. If a world you create has a password when you tell it not to make one, have you tried just keeping the field blank and hitting enter?

It technically works if I set my PC to 16-bit colour, but doing that does all kinds of weird problems to other things I'm doing with my PC. There's also tonnes of visual bugs and stuff too that the first one, oddly, doesn't have.
I've tried all kinds of things to get it to work. I can use the default world, but what if I mess that up? I know the same can be said for the first game, but, once you include the other issues that come up even getting it to run, it's less of a hassle to play that instead.

Well there's your problem.

Ah. Yeah I have to do this too, and I'm running Win7, so doing that fucks with how my desktop looks, but it mostly runs fine.
I know what you mean, when things don't work right it triggers my autism even if there are "workarounds." I'm assuming you got it from GOG, I would tell you they do refund for non working games but for as cheap as it was I doubt you'll want to bother. I've never played the first game so I'm not sure what, if anything, you're "missing" from the second. From what I can tell they're all pretty similar.

I've played all of these games except Creatures on PS1 because it was shit. I so wish these games made a return, they'd do so well in this day and age of autism. I still have Creatures Docking Station installed but it's been dead for years now.