Are stealth games dead or just niche?

Are stealth games dead or just niche?

So Super Bunnycuck just released a video about Hitman being shitcanned with IO and it has an interesting bit of interview along with his usual video soap boxing. In it he speaks with folks involved who say "In french we call them counnesoir games, niche games with low audience numbers. Metal gear solid 5 was an open world military shooter and doesnt count but hitman, thief, deus ex, dishonoured and so on proved the market for stealth games isnt there anymore"

What do you think? has a series of bad games left expectations low and so sales never meet predictions or is stealth going to way of the lightgun shooter and rhythm game?

As someone who loves to play stealth, even as a rogue or ninja in a fantasy game i grew up on stuff like MGS, Hitman 1 and 2 and Deus Ex doing ghost only runs. Shit even in none stealth games as long as there is a stealth mechanic i am playing it like its a stealth game.

What do you think the future is for the genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/anime/30437/Wakako-zake
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because stealth games where you can see the enemy behind walls defeat the entire purpose and just make the game boring.

Devs forgot how to actually do stealth properly and then pretend that there's no audience for it anymore. Few stealth games are being released where Stealth is preferable to going in guns blazing.

Perhaps if they made stealth games like old Thief then they'd see a demand is still there. But even then, games aren't a community anymore, they're strictly a business. And why make stealth games when you could just make endless flavor of the month titles and make far more bank?

Not exactly. Shallow stealth mechanics would shoved into action adventure titles to meet a features checklist like crafting and level ups.

True, Dishonoured is only fun on hard with no magic. Its a shame because the nautical witchcraft and deep sea satan whale oil economy world was super interesting. Then they make it a stealth game with blink, wallhack and almost all tools are lethal weapons that make you get a bad end.
I didn't even touch the sequel as i heard it was even worse in these regards.

Sometimes I can't stand that faggot. MGS5 is stealth in name only. Stealth fags hated it and general crowd loved it. It's not a fucking stealth game.
Only its paid demo is.

Hopefully they stay dead, too. When MGS1 hit the market, devs started shoehorning forced stealth sections everywhere, with damage spreading as far as Zelda and Castlevania. Even the deus ex faggots have to admit the stealth implementation was amateurish.

Rule number one of stealth games: you either revolve the entire game around stealth, or you don't even try.

Iunno user, I liked doing stealth runs in TPP

Chances are you're autistic, play real stealth game.
Or better yet play stealth mode in MGR. It's possible, so I guess it's a stealth game as well!

Its not really good stealth though. I even fucked around with the save on PS4 to try and make the game full subsistence and even then its too easy to really make stealth a focus beyond going none lethal or not.

If you prefer going loud in TPP then more power to you. I think the mechanics suited stealth plenty fine, though, and enjoyably so.

My point is you can't go in gun blazing in Hitman or bow blazing in Thief. Game having a stealth option doesn't make it a stealth game.

I'd say that to make a stealth game, you need to focus on the stealth and make it so that open conflict is simply NOT an option and being spotted results in forcibly changing your plans.

Fuck your hipster stealth shit, what animu is this?

The most patrician one there is.

Playing Invisible Inc I kind of like this turn based strategy stealth idea, although the game being procedurally generated got old real quick, not to mention it's terribly balanced.
Are there any similar games to Invisible Inc?

It's even worse if the game forces you to pick your gear before setting off and you 0 tools to help you in open combat.

I don't speak your frog talk, we replaced you as the lingua franca for a reason.

Because the jews needed people to be retarded.
I'm glad the anglo doesn't understand us anymore

Fun fact, that meaning of connoisseur is mostly an english invention, because the actual word we use for that meaning is amateur, and anglos are apparently too confused by words meaning different things.

Well we aren't that desperate to learn middle eastern or afrikaans yet :^)

A proper stealth game would be hard as fuck and very time consuming. It wouldn't sell well

Holy shit that would be priceless.

they're dead user. All you can hope for in the future is indie-shit where you play stealth in some isometric turn based stuff, making pure skill, reaction and improvisation useless.

Thief is dead, MGS is dead, Deus Ex is dead, Splinter Cell is dead, Hitman is dead.

How did that new Styx game do, anyway? Was it shit?

Same as the first with a tacked on crafting system and a worse Styx personality.

DX on hard mode without investing into any of the combat augs feels like a mediocre stealth game, but it's better at stealth than 90% of others.

Who here is the autistic one?

You can totally go guns blazing in Hitman. You'll fuck up your score and make the game a lot less fun, but you can do it.

They were always a niche, and they're also basically dead. As far as I know, Styx 2 is the most recent actual stealth game.
Holla Forums doesn't know what a stealth game is, and thinks it includes any action game with optional sneaking. So prepare for retards going "u just got dishonored 2 lol :^)"

You know there are first-person stealth games, right?
Polite sage for double post.

I hate that term. It doesn't mean anything.

It usually means some kind of combination of combat, puzzles, environmental traversal challenges, and exploration.

That's just how it's been used in recent years, mostly to describe genre hybrids that are engineered to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

It's good

How did it used to be used?

Mostly for games like the old 2D Zeldas.
I guess my real complaint is that it's a label that gets slapped onto tons of games, because any real-time game with a story is technically "action-adventure." It's too broad a term. There's some autist on Wikipedia, for example, who insists that NuWolfenstein is an "action-adventure" game.

What?

not sure if bait thread, but I'll let the cakeJew decide. Aside from MGS and Thief the genre has always been dead.

Thi4f was a stealth game, at least if you played on the highest difficulty setting. He's obviously wrong about Dude Sex and Dishonored, though.

Splinter Cell was always more of a stealth game than MGS ever was.

That's what 2D (and 3D) Zelda is though.

It's true, though. Except for Conviction.

but it is a irrelevant non sequitur from my original statement, thus bait or truly a retard response. Therefore (you)

Fair enough.

How is it irrelevant? You claimed that, outside of Thief and MGS, the stealth genre was dead, but Splinter Cell is a perfect example of a franchise that (ignoring later installments) did a far better job than MGS did at being a stealth game and, thus, helped keep the genre alive as well.

myanimelist.net/anime/30437/Wakako-zake

A anime for cucks. seriously

Apparently Square Enix is going to sell IO, and the rights to Hitman, to another publisher.

I mean, you are less cucked than Sweden and Germany, but that is like being the faggot who only has HIV instead of full blown AIDS

can you just make the game extremely hard if you get caught, but still barely possible if you're an autistic super-mega professional pro?

also i guess getting caught would change the story
but still, you'd wanna be able to anticipate assassins coming after you around every corner and the building you're in getting bombed, getting hit by teeny tiny arsenic needles in the chest, the media whipping everyone up into a murderous frenzy against you, etc
but only if you get caught
too bad the devs wouldn't bother developing something like that and just make you autolose when you get caught instead because thats easier

erry tiem

That's generally how it's supposed to work. In a well-designed stealth game, getting caught still gives you a brief opportunity to run away, or to kill/incapacitate one (or maybe two) guards. But if you're an absolute autist, you can usually play the game the "wrong" way and fight a lot. Like the swordplay in the original Thief–there were people who were really good at it and played the game that way. They're retarded, but that's OK.

even those have wallhax mechanics now.

I think most people, especially if you're in your 30s or younger, had their first exposure to sneaking in games via MGS or MGS2. That's why they think that MGS are stealth games, even though they're objectively not.

They're fucking dead because every competent programmer doesn't want to be in any way associated with video games, while AAA companies want to sell the most generic product suited for literally every possible audience in the world to maximize the profit that's made by "game design" graduates who haven't play anything but milk the monkey on their iphones

There is always The Dark Mod if you want to play a graphically superior Thief with customizable AI difficulty.
The missions are a mixed bag though because they're all fanmade and downloading them can be a pain in the ass due to crashes after they've downloaded in-game or nonexistent/dead links in the forums

Hitman '16 being a bit different since it was made by incompetent hacks who maybe played absolution, and watched a let's play of blood money who instead of focusing on real issues on how to make the game actually better kept fucking it up further and adding LE EPIC TOBIAS RIEPER XDDD memes for reddit audience.
Splinter Cell is dead since Chaos theory or Double Agent.
Styx was clunky but enjoyable, 2 puts me off with its "witty snarky protagonist" trailer.

Hitman' 16 was qiuet fun to play.

But you have to turn off all assists and don't use the X-ray vision to make it a good stealth-game.

Was fun to play and the fun peaked before summer bonus episode, then it's been getting worse.
Centralizing camera systems was retarded, but reddit complained they can't get SA on 1st try and it's too fucking taxing to understand that town hall cameras have recordings in townhall, secret underground lab in secret underground lab
And mansions camera are certainly around in the mansion

yeah.. i rly like the dark mod especially the picklocking system, but thief gold/thief 2 have so many top tier fan mission, after few hours with the dark mod i just dont know what to do with it…