Final Fantasy 12 was the closest the traditional turn based RPG combat ever got to perfection

Final Fantasy 12 was the closest the traditional turn based RPG combat ever got to perfection.
Despite retaining all the staples to make it still turn based, it still wasn't watered down like in 13 or just action like in 15.

The gambit system makes it possible to create your own AI, or gives you the possibility to control the characters yourself. It's great.

On top of that, Ivalice is legitimately one of the best and most fleshed out universes around, and possibly the best in the FF series.

To this day I have no fucking idea why everybody seems to hate this game

Other urls found in this thread:

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XII
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am playing it right now and it honestly feels more like a Tales game than Final Fantasy, still awesome though. Vaan is the worst character

Weebs are getting dumber by the minute.

Why are you so angry dummy

Its unfinished and certain characters barely exist despite being front row and center.
The only non Hume in your party is a Viera which reeks of wasted potential. Vaan could've been a Baanga/Moogle and penelo a Nu Mou and that alone would've made them hundred times more better.
The entire game is wasted potential and the fact that the devs had to add a fast forward system in the game only cements how much the combat wastes your time.

Ah, so the problem is diversity.

Oh and for all the "fleshed out world" there are no non hume children in the game. Not even in the two species exclusive tribes.

The fast forward system only exists in the zodiac version

And the new remaster.
There is literally no reason to play the vanilla game. Its infinitely worse than Zodiac Job System.

I like it.
I don't play it anymore because it's not on PC.

Yes and i'm okay with that.

but there's a ps2 emulator

It was the last remotely good SE game. Vaan was unneeded though and we should've had an option to switch him out with Basch. Fuck Vaan and Penelo.

It sucks ass
Specially for AMD cards. And my FX 8320 isn't strong enough to play all games on software mode
I appreciate that it exists and that it's come this far but come on. Dolphin does more things, does them better, is more mature and the Gamecube hardware was stronger than the PS2's

gladly

But don't like pig orcs you lazy /tg/ human fuck? I bet you like elves too you sick fuck.

Everybody hates FF12 because Square Enix is so fucking retarded it angers me on a daily basis: They half-gutted the original content and mechanical depth (Full license system, limited shops, tons of maps/enemies and semi-nonlinear progression, etc) and horrendously fucked up the story (and most content) by rewriting the entire thing in the last year of development to introduce their market-tested Cloud 2.0-attempt #137: Vaan. It also criminally underutilized its setting which made me and every other FFTA fanboy upset.

It's one of the better FFs if you give it a legitimate chance, but if you know what they threw away before launch, you won't be able to look at the game the same way again.

Fucking this. Mind if I cap your post m8?

Go ahead friend, it's all yours haha

Dolphin actually has worse compatibility than PCSX2 and doesn't even support more than two CPU cores.

PCSX2 doesn't use the cores efficiently so it makes no difference
Games work slowly with CPU usage being like 10%
I don't want compatibility if the games that are "compatible" work like ass.

Quality over quantity

Except it does.
Unlike Dolphin the software mode in PCSX2 actually works and runs multiplatform games better than Dolphin.

PCSX2 has both quality and quantity over Dolphin.

I just gave an example where it doesn't.
It would if it didn't run at 10fps on my hardware which isn't old by any standards.
I wish. I really do actually wish…

Fiddling around with plugins for half an hour to properly play something is not really what I would call quality

Bravely Default is turn based perfection.

Even after fiddling some shit just doesn't work fast enough.

Jesus christ I just wanted to see the sick amount of moves from FF Tactics make another appearance. You have all of these magic types but not a single series staple move like Jump or the Aura blast? Is that really too much to ask for?

where?
FX 8320 isn't even good enough to run gamecube games on Dolphin. You'd have better results from an overclocked G3258.

Maybe if you actually knew a thing about emulators you wouldn't need to wish.

Then just use the software mode

Are you actually reading?
When CPU is working at 10% and the game still runs slow.
To cite specific games you got Metal Gear Solid 2 and Valkyrie Profile 2.

Never had any issues on Dolphin.

You just admitted my problem is hardware you dumb faggot. If the emulator was good enough it'd run things fine on this.
Why are you so fucking defensive anyways? I love that PCSX2 even exists, I just wish it was better optimized and the developers focused more on AMD's implementation of OpenGL. I'm not even bitching too much. Are you a fucking PCSX2 fanboy or something?

Both of those games require a strong CPU
You might as well be complaining why crysis doesn't work on your voodoo fx

Really now? Why don't you post a screenshot of your system running spider man 2?

I am not defensive. I am calling out your tech illiteracy. Dumb fucks like you keep spreading FUD without knowing a single thing and always get pissy when challenged.

Shit like
Is a dead giveaway how much of a retard you are.

>launch Dolphin or better yet, Ishiiruka
PCSX2 devs get out

Should I play this FF game first?

That's exactly what I'm talking about…
Twilight Princess is supposedly a demanding game on Dolphin but I got no issues with it.

I would if my card was barely being used while the game was running slowly.

Really. Yes.

I'm not on my apartment with my computer right now.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. An emulator that's well optimized would work on my hardware just fine. If you have to cite my hardware as the issue then we got a hardware compatibility problem. My hardware isn't even old enough to give the excuse that it's "too old to run PCSX2"
I understand that it's a community project and not paid developers, I'm just saying this could be better, but I can't really demand anything.

Anyone reading you would conclude you are.
And then you go and prove me right.

They do have issues with AMD's opengl driver not being as good as Nvidia's, it's an issue that most developers of big budget games bypass by writing their own system calls, which these guys don't have enough time to focus on.
Read on their forums and quarter year reports if you don't believe me.
Also calm the fuck down. Jesus Christ

TBH, buying AMD instead of Nvidia is simply asking for trouble in pretty much all areas. Nvidia has better compatibility with virtually everything. Despite being a little cheaper, I quit buying AMD cards once I realized this.

Thats not how anything works
FX 8320 isn't even a good AMD CPU, it wasn't good back in 2012 and it isn't going to magically get better 5 years after the fact. You are literally complaining why your trash CPU doesn't run things it physically can't run.

Thats not the fault of the developers. Its the fault of AMD for having trash drivers. Are you an AMD fanboy or something?
Most big budget games don't use OpenGL. And on Linux they use open source drivers which have nothing to do with AMD.

You seriously are a luddite. Go get some basic information before spouting your retardation.

it's pretty disconnected from any of the more traditional FF games, so you wouldn't really be missing anything storywise. it's based in the final fantasy tactics universe though, so lorewise you wouldn't get any references, not that this is necessarily a bad thing. that said you should probably play one of the older and/or more traditional ones first if only to see how different the "real" FF games are

Except Linux. AMD run circles around Nvidia on their open source drivers. I use Linux for work so I figured it would be a good idea. I can live without the PS2 emulator but not without a comfortable work OS.

That's how games on Dolphin work, none of them bitch about my CPU or GPU

GPU drivers do get better with time on my RX480, but that's another story.

Wasn't a trash CPU back then nor it is now. Everything but the PS2 emulator works fine on it

I know. That's what I said.
That's what I said. Are you reading my post or having a heart attack? Look.

Jesus.

Come on.

They do though. Or did before moving to Vulkan.

Go take a nap or something. You need it. Nobody wants to argue with a rage induced autist.
Don't bother replying.

If any game perfected JRPGs its smt3.

The open source drivers have nothing to with AMD
fresh out of cuckchan

What a lot of people said in the thread
I played vanilla version so take what I say with a grain of salt

- I can understand magic but licenses for weapons always felt bullshit to me. just let me equip the weapon I found.
- Barely any of the techniques in the game are useful
- the really essential gambits you get late in the game
- oh no no can't use 4 members out at once. you can only have 4 when you have a guest character with you.

- Sure there is a good overarching story but the step by step plot is tedious and boring most of the time. By the time you actually get to the next area where an important plot point happens you forgot what was going on after traveling for 3 hours. Also most of the story is
YOU'RE NOT ROYALTY PROVE IT!!!
GIMME DAT
Why the fuck even go through this if people can already believe you are the princess. Lars, prince of archadia believes it, all the judges believe it, the party believes your a princess, marquis ondore believes it. They could have just taken the throne and not waited for Vayne to go full retard and summon the Death star for them to actually kill the fuckers in charge.

- the game plays like a damn MMO at times. Enemies can gang up on you and kill you if you go into a wrong area. It doesn't help that with all of the menus it becomes more tedious than menus in the original FF games.
which I would have to go back into more menus and switch around gambits for whenever there is a flying enemy, or an enemy that just blinded characters so they keep attacking or using an ineffective spell on repeat.

- And they don't let me use the other races in an Ivalice game. that's a fucking crime.
LOL FUCK NO 6 HUMES AND VIERA PLEASE

at least vaan got cooler in FFTA2

Lol what

That's not what I said…
He said
I replied by saying that Linux has pretty good compatibility with AMD thanks to the open source drivers.

You should've listened when I told you not to bother replying.
Also
That's never a good thing on imageboards.

you really are a typical cuckchanner.
honestly you should fuck off back to your home site.

Are you talking about yourself?
You replied to a post made by 11b783, clearly not directed at you.
Yes. You shouldn't bother replying. So don't.
I haven't shifted a single goalpost.
I replied to your point about my CPU being shitty even when it's sufficient for everything except this specific emulator, about you claiming i said it was PCSX2's fault for AMD drivers (which I never said), and all the other idiotic claims you made. You were in fact the one that replied to exactly zero points I made to the last post I actually made replying to you

Speaking of getting used to, I think nobody here would miss your posts.

>You replied to a reply to a post made by 11b783, clearly not directed at you.
Fixed.

Let's fucking do this.

In the new FFXII remake Vaan is no longer the main character and the game focus on Ash Basch and Balthier from the get go like originally intended.
Can still recruit Penelass during the story as a character after an incident where Vaan dies
Lea Monde, Mullenkamp or Ashley Riot are referenced/added somewhere
Do your worst, fatenigger

Re-translated localized by SJWs with plot re-written accordingly and all new voice acting featuring Ashley Burch from Borderlands series.

Seems things can go right once in a while

I chuckled.

Retard bitching about pcsx2 when I played FF12 back in 2009 on a computer I bought for $450 a year earlier.

Want to talk about Dolphin, how is Metroid Prime around lava?

VAYNE WAS THE HERO IVALICE TRULY DESERVED BUT NOBODY WANTED
CID WAS A GOOD FATHER AND HAD THE TRUE VISION THAT WOULD HAVE LED THE WORLD TO SCIENTIFIC WONDERS
VENAT DID NOTHING WRONG AND WANTED ALL LIFE TO HAVE FREE WILL BECAUSE IT SAW EVERY ORGANISM AS ITS EQUAL AND WANTED TO CUT ITS PEOPLES GRASP ON THE WORLD
ASHE & CO FUCKED OVER THE WHOLE WORLD AND RUINED EVERYTHING

AMD cucks aren't people tbh.
I could emulate both Wii and PS2 games perfectly fine on an ancient gtx760 at something like x5 native resolutions at whatever fullspeed those games have.
And now I don't even have problems with CEMU.

That's why you keep a ranged user in your party.
Gambit: When player is blinded use Sight Unseen.
Please do not hug the entites user.

That's the point. It's a screwjob. Just like the treaty signing was a screwjob. Vayne killed his father and blamed it on the senate as an excuse to grab absolute power and conquer the known world for the glory of Archades. He doesn't give a fuck about you. And of course Cid and Vayne are being manipulated, to some degree, by Venat because Venat got into a pissing contest with Gerun about nethicite dissemination.

AMD is certainly not the best option for emulation. But perhaps you mean emulating on an Intel CPU? Because the CPU is way more important in emulation than the GPU
now stop pretending you know what you are talking about

There are non-intel cpus?

Only if you don't enjoy hardware-based DLC for your CPU :^)

The thing I found most stupid about that is that Moogles already had an existing neutral pronoun they used for themselves prior, but I guess "Mog" just doesn't cut in [CURRENT YEAR] for an English script when you can appeal to tumblr instead.

Well yeah
I really don't know what will I do when my i7 dies. I hope I die before it.

Ho ho you wish that's all it was. For the i9s they're locking RAID configurations unless you buy a USB dongle that they're charging $900 for.

Cyberpunk becoming real in the least cool way possible.

It literally has one of the worst battle systems in the series.

What's your favorite FF combat?

Not him but I think FFX-2 has the best one. Too bad it's attached to a weird charlie's angels/sailormoon mash up.

I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of X-2 exactly because of that so I wouldn't even be able to tell you if you're gay or not

I don't remember if there even was any combat in the first 20 minutes tbh. I played for like 3 or 4 hours before realizing that combat alone can't carry a JRPG.
I had a faint wish that FF7 remake will have X-2 combat, but alas we're getting another FF15.

I remember getting to the first fight and being too bothered by how fucking shit everything was to even try to figure out how the thing worked, that's all I know

>>Or play video games at all.

Vaan is comparatively the worst, but also gets too much hate considering he's not exactly insufferable like some characters from other entries in the series.
His stats are the tits though.

Some will at least try to keep terminology consistent across entries, and with Final Fantasy being as popular as it is, you'd think Square would have compiled a handbook or something of recurring terms/names (with Japanese and English side by side) that they loan own to whoever they whore a given game out to. Or maybe they do, and whichever team did Type-0 HD just didn't care. Even a quick search of a fanwiki would tell them what the standard term used prior is, but I guess a translator (or perhaps script editor? Not sure who's usually responsible for script fuckery) looking on one of those to see what the existing term is (or what fan-translators have deciphered it to be, should a game not have come west) is "unprofessional" or something.

At least the PSP version of Type-0 has a full fan-translation patch that came out despite Square trying to shut it down once they smelled blood in the water at the hype.

Nah.

Please stop.

If you want to play it like an RPG you can, not my fault you're a giant complaining faggot

It still has an ATB-like system literally making it as much turn-based as a lot of the previous entries.
Did you think this post through at all?

thanks for the chuckle

It's a much faster paced FF7 ATB combat where characters can act simultaneously. FF12 was a huge step back compared to that tbh.

Characters can't act simultaneously in FF7, they can however do it in FF12.
Did you fall on your head as a baby?

didn't mean to be rude, thought you were the other user

They can in FFX-2. Learn to read dude.
FF12 won't allow you to control all your characters at once, scripting system is a work around.
It's also much slower paced. ITT it was mentioned that zodiac version added fast forward option, which I guess is good since vanilla FF12 felt slow as shit compared to X-2.

That was phrased weird.
I dunno, the characters can act at the same time, but of course they have targeting times so if they have different speeds they won't hit at the same time.

You can pause the combat, select the action for everyone and then make it start again, so yeah you can.

It is pretty slow, but you need it to have an idea of what's happening around you. I'm pretty sure even in zodiac the speedup is just for walking.

Well FF12 also have running around, auto attacking and all that making people assume it's similar to mmo combat from the surface.
I just want classic if faster ATB system back, attached to something good. I would totally replay FF12 with X-2 combat.

It never was. But VI and IX were pretty sweet, and XII would've been the first truly grand FF game if those braindead fucks at SE weren't such hacks.

This meme needs to die.

not surprising at all

It's just another "Cloud is supposed to be a parody of cool rpg protagonists despite starting the trend he's supposed to be parodying"

hey thanks for the bump brainiac

If that's true, then how come it's so unmemorable and hardy anyone talks about it?

Nobody here talks about any games

Japs are the worst at fantasy, their D&D inspired worlds inevitably look like gay prides. The few jrpgs which don't turn you a homo, are those with completely different settings.

Yeah, true, I'm glad we have Todd over here to raise the bar

Penelo is even more worthless than Vaan as a character. Having her without Vaan is like have a shopkeeper or that kid who wants to be a blitzball in FFX join your party.
If anything, Reks should've lived through the tutorial and been the main character. At the very least it would mean they couldn't write him as the eternally in over his head retard that Vaan was.

You can really tell that Square-Enix had just come off of developing a MMO by playing a few minutes of FF12. Combat is slow and boring. It's also the worst use of the Ivalice setting, hands down, and probably has the worst music in the series.

Well done, you got me to reply.

The director left half way and we ended up with cobbled together fan fiction.

Too bad it caused extinction of all Ivalice races, but humans. As written in FFT backstory.

No way fag.
If I forgot about something then mention it.

is there any documentation on what they removed from the game?

I forgot about

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XII
Read development part.

fucking retards, they tried to appeal to the "widest audience" instead of their core players. i can't find much of what was removed, other than that and the "vaan"ification of the protagonist. everything else seems run of the mill for final fantasy.

I only know that FFXII was supposed to be like Vagrant Story, but I don't have article in which it was written.

It's a Matsuno game. The setting is the main character, not the playable dudes. FFXII is Vayne and Larsa's story.

Yes yes, we all want to fuck the rabbit chick. Doesn't mean that game was good.

What the fuck did they expect? Unless you put hard-limits on the progression of unlockables, then it's inevitable that players will get them all. I remember I had every character with every license far, far before they all hit level 99.

VENAT IS A HERETIC!

I never played Type-0. Please tell me this isn't real.

this is real.

It is. Additionally, if memory serves, the "HD" version has other issues beyond just tumblring the English script (motion blur, or something). The original PSP version has a full English fan translation patch, as Square was too slow to properly shut it down.

Would you bang a Bangaa?

Only if it were a cute grill…

I want Fran to sit on my face.

LAST GOOD FF
Its not perfect, but it allowed for variety with the use of gambits meaning one could decide how to play. Vaan is a faggot and shouldn't be in the story but he's no laughter meme Tidus. The soundtrack and voice-acting is good fucking compressed audio tho and as a whole, the XII crew is the best team in terms of banter and level of interest (though some bangas and nu mous wouldn've been dope).

Playing the Zodiac version is for faggots. The license is board is still shit, and some classes are broken or overpowered. The fast-forward and fixing chest probabilities was nice though. The story also sucks because it loses scope and tone, as well as all its pacing problems. Overall, I'd say a 7/10, not perfect but its not shit and definitely better than X, X13 and 15. And 2 I guess.

What? But there are non human children, just look in the slums and you'll find some.

this nigga knows what's up

FFXII was only good if you ignore the first 100 hours and treat everything outside the post-game as the longest tutorial ever.

Pretty much this. XII was so different from the mainline, but it was still so good. If Matsuno had stayed on all the way through, it easily would have been one of the greatest ever.

I'd tell you to pick one and only one.
That's cheating, doesn't really count.

I think Zodiac had the right idea but fucked up the implementation. I personally play with a skill based challenge game mode like Zodiac but with actual useful classes. It certainly makes the game harder. I'd recommend playing the game this way so you're characters aren't OP superheroes midway through. There's a gamefaqs page dedicated to it so you know the classes and what you can equip etc.

patrician taste anons.