Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 Announced

On August 8th, Mega Man 7-10 are coming to everything that isn't portable in a bare bones compilation! Be amazed by games you can already play on PC and home consoles! Gaze in awe at all-new challenges made up of ~5 sections from each game stitched together in various ways! Marvel at the exclusion of &Bass because they couldn't be bothered to emulate more than one SNES game!

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Mystro256/wiisxr
rockman-corner.com/2017/06/mega-man-legacy-collection-2-gameplay.html#more
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I used to know this autist who actually managed to create his own networked (classic) Megaman Co-op game as his third ever game project. It was so well-made, the physics were spot-on, the AI almost perfectly replicating the original, and the challenge just right.

StealthNinja, I miss you. You were a fantastic game dev that let me playtest your stuff for free.

Why isn't it on Switch as well when it's piss-easy to port to that and the 3DS version of the Legacy Collection sold the best? Why is it only the four games when they've still got stuff like Battle & Chase or other spinoffs to pad out the collection?

This line-up is disappointing.

I really enjoyed MMZX, have yet to play MMZXA, this brings up a question. Why isn't Crapcom making any new Mega Man games? Fans are dying for something new and Capcom wants to make a large amount of shekels. It's gotten to the point that fans are making new Mega Man games themselves.

Advent is…. different. Its better in some regards, but the save station placement is spotty. It sometimes enforcers playing a level backwards, sometimes they force you play through the whole level like a classic megaman stage with 3 lives, and one time they place a full on save point right infront of a boss. Its all over the map. Boss design and level design is really good though. And the boss forms are fun to play around in.

Glad 9 has a PC port, but Dolphin already got that covered.
I just want an X/Z collection though and a new game

very good

Konami needs to make something like this for Castlevania/Bomberman as well.

7 and 8 were both SNES games. Sage for nitpicking

The only two possibilities I can think of are that they either didn't think porting MM&B, Battle & Chase, etc were worth the effort, or they're saving all of the spin-off games for their own collection.
Seriously. There are two Battle Network games in development on 8/v/ alone.

So it's just a shittier version of this?

Hell, 8-bit Mega Man fangames hit something of a renaissance rather recently after Mega Man Unlimited released, there were like 8 or 9 different completely original games all released at once.

Pretty much, Legacy Collection is the Anniversary Collection split into two halves by "era" and without the two arcade games available as padding.

Anniversary Collection was pretty shitty, all things considered. Atomic Planet got nuked and died afterwards for good reason. Legacy Collection has less quantity, but more quality emulation. That said, Legacy Collection 2 looks underwhelming if it doesn't have any unlockables.

How though?

Input lag (8's snowboarding sections are much harder)
Poor SNES emulation. Blurry text, screechy sound and no Mode 7, meaning the credits were reduced to a simple text scroll.
Jump and shoot buttons reversed in Game Cube version because fuck you
1-6 use JP PS1 ports with low quality sound effects and non-looping music with extras taken out
Hints are badly translated
NES font sometimes replaced with ugly new one that's hard to read
15 seconds of awkward dead silence at the end of 6's intro
Some sound effects and voice clips play at the wrong volume/pitch
Long hallway menu takes a long time to navigate
Xbox version has compatibility problems with 360
Diagonals have to be absolutely perfect, making aiming and sliding while running difficult

The only positives are quick selection for 1-6 and arranged soundtracks for 4-6 (only for PS2/Xbox)

Well that's disappointing. I wanted to try it out so I could get the arcade games.

They should have just reprogrammed the games for the hardware like Namco did with its museum series.

I actually rented Anniversary Collection as a kid simply because I wanted to play the arcade games. How did they fuck up porting the games so badly?

Off the top of my head, there are a couple of reasons. First of all, Mega Man 1-6 were ported from the Rockman Complete Works series on PlayStation (now on PSN), yet they took out all the neat extra features except Navi Mode (even Legacy Collection kept parts like the database for the museum). There are leftovers in the code, but they trashed it for no good reason. The translation of Navi Mode is also legitimately very poor. Some of the audio like the rearranged music is also converted pretty terrible, especially in Mega Man 6. Then in Mega Man 7, there's a cool credits scene that's completely blacked out of the collection, supposedly because of emulation issues (meanwhile, a fan-made emulator from the 90's doesn't have this problem). Mega Man 8, a lot of the audio samples are warped, so some Robot Masters sound like chipmunks (strangely, which ones would depend on which version of the collection you're playing). Arcade games, slowdown issues. Then there's the GCN compilation, which reverses A & B and doesn't give you the option to switch back, and is missing the Navi Mode remixes (which, BTW, were optional in the Complete Collection). Didn't play the Xbox version since I lost interest by the time it was out, but I hear the picture was consistently blurry…

If you're in it for the Arcade games, I recommend Rockman Power Battle Fighters for PS2. It contains perfect ports with additional options such as exclusive, unlockable Extreme and Extra modes, plus it allows you to freely switch the language between Japanese and English. You'll have to import it, though.

If you really want to play any of the games on PS2 for whatever reason, i'm pretty sure that there are homebrew ports of NES and arcade emulators that you can boot up with freemcboot

If you're interested in the arcade games they emulate easily via MAME. I recall there's CPS2 versions of the first game for better sound and more voice-clips and such.

user pls.

jesus user

How is Megaman X collection? Do any of the problems in Anniversary collection appear there?

It has the cool PS1 version of Megaman X3 with anime cutscenes and remake music.

You haven't been bullied enough for this, yet.

if I'm remembering right the A and B buttons are swapped around on the Gamecube version too so it can fuck with your muscle memory.

X Collection was much better Capcom BTFO'd Atomic Planet and did it in-house. That said, there are a few things to note (having only played the PS2 version here). For Mega Man X, they inexplicably got rid of the "Hadouken" voice sample. In X2, the arm cannon charge sound continues to play from the intro to the title screen. X3 is the European PlayStation port, not the SNES original (whether that's a good or bad thing is entirely preference, but there could have easily been an option). X6, the Japanese voices during cutscenes were removed. There are minor script changes, mostly typos, in Mega Man X and the PSX games ("He's safe" became "8t's safe" IIRC). There's a story going around about that - supposedly, Capcom was ready to add optional Navi Mode-style music arrangements, a brand new dub from the X8 crew, and a complete retranslations on top of it…but Inafune had a bitch-fit and didn't want any of that content to get in the way of what he planned for his Maverick Hunter X remakes (I'm sure you know how that turned out). The oversights are a result of the development team reimplementing what they had already removed from the games.

That's what he said. Third point on his list.

how did I miss that fuck.

Come on. Look at this shit. It's beautiful. I'm perfectly fine with this replacing the previous maverick introduction. There's no need for a choice.

I'll give you that the new music arrangement is a different case though. They should've included the option to use the original SNES music or the new arranged music, but no need to offer 2 separate games.

I've seen enough.
Nah, in seriousness, I like the nimated Maverick intros and wish they'd been kept in later games, even though some of them were nonsensical.

I received the first Legacy Collection as a gift.
I liked the robot gallery that spoils you what weapons is good against who.
The pictures of the original japanese manuals along with conceptual and official art were good too.
I have some mixed feelings on the challenges though. Only some special bosses (yellow devil) have their own challenges. I wish you had individual challenges for every boss in the game so you could train on how to beat them trying different weapons.

That one was better than 9 & 10, right?

I guess they're keeping &Bass for a third Legacy Collection, along with the Gameboy & Arcade games.

I hope they ignore the Soccer and DOS games.

These are not even proper ports, they are just emulating the old ROMs.
If they could develop something they would do Megaman 11 instead of Legends 3, though.

Mega Man's Soccer isn't even that bad. Certainly not DOS level. If the screen was zoomed out enough that you could actually see shit, it would be pretty good.

Also, Rockboard is actually fun. They gotta include that.

I use that to play X4 on Wii because there's no good PS1 hombrew emulator Zero's VA is okay when it's just grunts. Using the classic pro controller through Nintendont feels much better than using the GameCube controller with its tiny d-pad.

X3's arranged soundtrack is a mixed bag. Some songs are better; some are worse. The music isn't that good in the first place, and neither is the game itself. We didn't get the PS1/Saturn release, but we did get the nearly identical PC port. It is funny how X1's DOS port is a million times better than the IOS version.

Megaman Soccer kicks ass, man. It's freaking hilarious and not the worst soccer game of all times either.

that's a good question. at least people are trying to make their own now

I knew of ChronoX, which one are these?

I had a friend who non ironically played and liked the ios port of Megaman X. He wasn't that smart.

I want to say it can't be worse than the GBC spinoffs from back in the day, but it probably can. They were actually pretty good.

The PS2 version doesn't seem to work for me. When I get to chose a game, it's fine; but when I start up a game, the screen is just black. The game actually plays, but I can't see jack shit. I heard it has to do with how some TVs work with composite cables and 240p, but I'm not entirely sure.

github.com/Mystro256/wiisxr
This one should work well, at least with 2D games. I played Mortal Kombat Trilogy full speed with it.

Who the fuck cares

Is this super weak bait, or are you just the guy who thinks he should never have to stop and carefully consider a situation? The small handful of points where trial-and-error death memorization is mandatory are well-remembered by fans of the series, and looked down upon as smudges on an otherwise brilliant design, specifically because not having that kind of bullshit is one of the things that Mega Man usually excels at. The turret puzzle boss in MM2, for example, is utter horseshit. But overall, the accusation is about as valid as the ever-popular "Hold Right To Win" claim.

That's what the PS1 ports are. No sprite flicker nor slowdown at the cost of SFX-music balancing differences with no looping tracks due to Capcom unable to code in PSGs good enough. On the other hand, there's some bonus content that didn't get ported.

Holy shit, those covers are awesome. They do some weird things, though.
No one cared who he was 'till he put on the mask. It's not like they're incredible twists, but come on.

Well, Proto Man being in 4 wasn't the twist, it was Cossack not being evil. That's not really a spoiler. And it was pretty obvious Wily was still going to be in the game at some point in 5. Plus, these are all re-releases two generations after the originals, so it's not like the plot twists were new.

Come to think of it, isn't MM2 like the one of the few games she DOESN'T appear? Yes, I know she was added as the navigator of the week in Navi Mode, but good enough for the cover? If anything, it should've been Dr. Light next to Mega Man since he's actually pretty prominent with item upgrades and he's weirdly missing from all the artwork. Air Man's on the cover, he's just…really small, in the top-left. Honestly, I don't think the covers are that spoiler-y - at least MM6 doesn't show gasp Dr. Wily I'm stunned.

She doesn't appear whatsoever in MM2 if I'm remembering right. Not even sure if she appears in the credits.

I need to own all of these

Actually, I think MM3 & MM5's covers should've been switched (sans Eddie & Beat). The Japanese subtitle of MM3 is something like "Dr. Wily is Finished!?" so it makes sense that he'd appear in that cover, not MM5 (which is "Blues's Trap!?").

Yeah, she only makes cameos in the endings of MM1, MM3, & MM4. She didn't really become especially prominent until after the NES era.

i like chimp girls

In terms of autism, Mega Man fans are as bad as Sonic fans.

Fortunately it typically ends up as a productive autism like Sonic's fans, a lot of fangames and fan-media are as good as anything Capcom could put out.

So I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but…
What are the chances this is indirect confirmation of a fifth, unlockable game?

It is very surprising that Mega Man & Bass isn't on here anyway. But frankly, this is a shit collection, where they split up a collection from over ten years ago into two collections and sold them both again.

The only way this or the first one would have been worth owning is if they just had all the games from Anniversary Collection, plus 9 and 10, plus the handheld ones, including MM&B2, along with Rockboard, Soccer, and Battle & Chase. They're literally releasing the same thing as before but worse and expecting us to pay more for it.

On the other hand, this is the only way to have physical copies of 9 and 10, but instead of this half assed shit, they should have been part of a good collection, or just released on a disc with just those two for a cheap price years ago, when they were new.

I'm fairly certain 8 will be the shittier PS1 port and not the Sega Saturn port that had 2 additional bosses

However that being said if this collection leads to a Megaman Zero anniversary collection, and a Megaman Battle Network anniversary collection I would legit cum my pants.

I highly doubt the latter would occur though and they'd probably strip multiplayer/trading out of it.

In the announcement trailer, Aqua Man's stage is shown, and it's the PlayStation version…to no one's surprise. The music played is also the PlayStation MIDI and not the Saturn PCM. Now, in the best case scenario, Capcom, doing the collection in-house, would stick a middle finger at Digital "Purist" Eclipse and Keiji "Shekels" Inafune by doing what they always wanted to do in X Collection and make requested enhancements to the game at the source code level, recreating Cut Man and Wood Man into the PlayStation version so Saturn fans can finally shut up…but it's unlikely.

That video's misleading because they're using a really shitty PS1 emulator. Mega Man's face is constantly fucking up even when he's standing still.

Capcom showed off 8 on a stream, and it is the PS1 version. Apparently, "for Mega Man 8, the team felt it important to use the initial release version of the game, so the PS1 version is included in this collection." I'm guessing this translates to "we're not willing to do difficult and time-consuming Saturn emulation for the minor enhancements and bonuses."

rockman-corner.com/2017/06/mega-man-legacy-collection-2-gameplay.html#more

The MM8 port's sound was much squeakier than the original, as they sped up the sound and music. I'm so glad Atomic Monkey died because everything they touched was shit (I played the Phantasy Star Collection. Good fucking luck playing those games without a crash or lost save data).

Actually ZX story was concluded before ZX was even made.

I mean. That does make sense since the first Legacy Collection was all about being true to the original. You'd think that with Digital Eclipse gone, Capcom might've been a little more flexible, but then again, they're Capcom. Well, I suppose at this point we can just hope they didn't forget to move the novelty Bonus Mode stuff to the Museum.

Some of these Robot Master designs though…

THIS, these idiot youtubers are not even trying and only spreading misinformation cause they are vanilla mainstream for their own good.

We need new Mage man X games