Shmups

We haven't had one of these threads in a while.

Play any good shmups lately?

Do we have a pic yet for recommended shmups?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fFEuPq_lBMA
youtube.com/watch?v=bxk3lEiieBQ
se-made.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=wZUB8ylAGVM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Been playing PatriotDark recently, but fullscreen mode doesn't work for some reason.

been playing thunderforce V on the saturn lately, performance is definitely troubling at times but the game is great and the music is fantastic.

That is some garbage artwork, user
Also Galaga > every shmup ever

Would you agree with me that R-Type for the Playstation was depressing as fuck story-wise?

I preferred the story of R-Type Complete just because the FOV sequences blew my fucking mind back in the day. Not to mention that the soundtrack was fucking incredible as well. The Stage 8 theme from the Complete CD version became the basis for the F-A stage music in R-Type Final, too. But the R-Type series in general is a depressing series.

Why would you play anything but Touhou games?

Why would you play pacifist? Youkai deserve a beating.
Also, isn't one of the characters far better at grazing than the other?

No, it's based on abusing ZUN's dumb gimmick of the day and grazing.

Sometimes Reimu has a smaller hitbox for collision (separate from her graze hitbox) and Sakuya's team in IN/TH08 has a way bigger box for grazing

Wait what? How do you deal with bosses?

There's a timer for how long you get to clear the spell card / pattern, like 30 seconds or so. If you constantly shoot and stay under the boss, you'll kill them and get a score bonus (as long as you don't die). Otherwise, if you bomb, die, or time out, then it moves to the next attack pattern without a score bonus.

I remember I played a shump on the Ps2 website where the background was a rainy window.

I still don't remember the name

Why haven't you joined the crusade against the space fish yet?

how is this different from other shooting games?

Because they're Touhou games.

Thinking of getting Beat Hazard. Seems relaxing.

Because I generally prefer shmups with spaceships / mechas / air crafts.
I if do feel in the mood, I like classical cute little witches on broom sticks.
Besides, I already have a waifu.

That's not a whale. It's a Dunkleosteus.

Tyrian is such a fucking meme game it can go fuck itself in a trash fire.

Why am I so bad at these

To be fair, pasta sauce is basically tomato sauce, and ketchup is basically made from tomatoes and sugar

i know that feel

what does it say about me if I find that robotic wasp hotter than the chick?

that you think it's hip to fuck (giant robot) bees?

Everyone, post shmups that are better than 2hu.

Been getting into Raiden Fighters 2, tried out all the ships. The funnest are Flying Ray-M and Griffin-L. Anyone know the trick to getting the dragon to spawn under the plane?

You are a healthy human.

You need to keep hovering above a certain point on the screen long enough for a Miclus to leave his hiding place

Is Muchi Muchi Pork, fun?
Am I remembering correctly that it cost about 200 bucks to buy?

MushiFuta for PC fucking when, Degica??

Thanks.

It's probably the most casual Cave shump, after the ESP's.

r8 my tastes, Holla Forums

I like the giant weapon gimmick

That is disgusting.

Also, Crimzon Clover: World Ignition is still one of the best games I've ever(U+200B was here) played.

I have a question about this shmup game or this group of shmup games. I bought it a while back on dlsite.jp and as far as I can tell the game just plays on its own. It doesn't make any sense, there is no button to shoot, I don't even think there is an end level. It runs slow as hell, the audio is all sorts of fucked, and I don't know if this is just more of a simulation game where you just drug out and watch the pretty colors or what. This shmup doesn't make sense and it looks like there are tons of similar games by the same maker which is even weirder. Is this game just too japanese for me?

the game I bought was Layer Seven and the company is RAYHAWK

Patrician tastes my friend.

Still haven't 1CCed KAMUI in over a year of very on and off trying, one day I'll get it though
Fuck the 3rd and 4th boss even if I perfect them in practice I still end up getting hit more than I should in normal play and then I pull out a no hit out of my ass in the following stages which doesn't fucking matter because I'm one hit away from continuing and Xaffiquel is a bitch, at-least my current best score is decent 22 mil on normal or something close to that from an attempts that almost 1CCed

R-type in general is fucking depressing, the whole R-13 subplot in Δ and Final or 6.1/F-B in Final
Hell R-type Final literally has you creating the bydo by travelling to the future to warn them about not dumping the bydo in the past when it inevitably goes berserk
And then there's R-type Command 1/2 if you're into R-type and TBS it's actually pretty good which isn't a shmup but has it's own plotlines that are arguably even more depressing than anything else the franchise has, In one you lead a ragtag fleet to eradicate the bydo for the nth time but end up being corrupted without knowing it and rampaging your way back to Earth not fully realizing you're not human anymore until the very end and then in 2 as soon as the Bydo is nowhere in sight a civil war breaks out and you end up having most of humanity die by it's own hands afaik although considering The F-C ending in Final it's already pretty much what happens throughout the series

I actually almost bought some of his stuff because of leftover points and a coupon sometime back so wouldn't mind knowing either.
As for technical problems have you tried the usuals (D3D wrappers like dgVoodoo/WineD3D, compatibility modes, locale, disabling aero etc)

Thanks, my nigga.

I think tonight I will see how far I get in Gradius Gaiden.

I don't know what happens is I got it for Windows and you get and executable that is VB script and another one that is .html. so one is programing VB language while another is the same game for the web, once again it just makes no sense. It feels like a scam purchase but it definitely game me a new videogame experience I've never had before.

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and let myself get tempted, the sheer clusterfuck you get from the screenshots is enough to make me interested.

Is the PS4 version of Battle Garegga available on Japanese PSN?

find one of those games for free. buying it is a rip off

Those have trial version so it's not a problem.

Yep, for 40bux.

There's a mame rom for it. If you cant find it let me know and I'll upload it later.

Anyone have a working torrent of the PC version with all the DLC?

YOU THINK YOU CAN BEAT ME WITH THAT?

LOSER

Bump

>>>/suicide/

oh nonononononono

Please tell me someone has high quality Nick arcade rips so I can make a webm.

Danmaku… was a mistkae.

where's the 2hu?

Quite a blast from the past right here.

Is there a game that has music nearly as good as 2hu?

The same time Qute brings Ginga Force to PC… never ever

Don't be shitting on Alltynex Second now

Who's ready for Ketsui on PS4?

If Sony announces a price drop for the PS4, I'm buying that shit for Ketsui ASAP

Blue Revolver is pretty good. Pretty much what you'd expect from a CAVE-style shmup, mechanically. Art style's nice and the music's dank as hell though.
youtube.com/watch?v=fFEuPq_lBMA
youtube.com/watch?v=bxk3lEiieBQ

Did you buy it and play it?
What did you think of it?

I've never realised how similar that ship and the ikaruga ship looked like

ikaruga is a sequel to radiant silvergun. rsg is better, however.

Why do nuweebs like this magical girl feminist shit?

No fucking clue why they haven't done it yet, Ikaruga sold like hotcakes on Steam, it's basically free money.

because moe has overtaken a lot of anime and also look at the neighborhood you're in

None. I still can't find a reason, and I have been looking for a reason for years. I just don't enjoy other shmups. Never play them for very long, and I never really improve.

Many advantages. The characters and stages are easily recognizable, so it's always easy to remember what everyone does. And the Touhou games actually take less memorization than other any other shmups that I played, at least on normal. Also, shots are always easy to see. Visibility is never an issue. Not a whole lot of bullshit unless you don't use bombs. Very fair.

Why do people not just play Touhou? I have no idea. I guess they are just wrong. Some people like being wrong.

se-made.com/

Shilling this motherfucker right here. It's an old-school freeware shmup made by a pair of Finnish developers. It's still incomplete, but it's really damn good for what it has. Not sure if it will be completed this year, but development seems to be almost done.

Played all the trials available and well…

it runs kinda well for something made to run in an internet browser (the game literally is an .html file) while doing that much shit on screen.
Everything about it outside of the looks is horrible and even then it's impressive technically but eye destroying for the kind of game it tries to be, but I gotta admit the idea of you controlling a wing of fighter instead of a single fighter could be a neat idea if used in something with gameplay.
3/10 as a tech demo it has some potential

Is this a fucking joke?

Any anons play this game? I don't play many shmups but stumbled upon this one after hearing it was made by agdg devs.

welcome to nu-gaming lad

3/10 as a shmup, but I'll give it a solid 7 otherwise. Certainly above average and a fun game, sadly it doesn't utilize shmup elements in any effective or fun manner. Bosses are okay at best. Level design is locked into rooms which loses the shmup charm of neatly orchestrated levels and the overall presentation is pretty generic, which makes it worse than it already is. I'm basing my opinions entirely on the demo, and to be blunt I absolutely loathe this kind of shit, though I can see some folks finding it genuinely fun.

I wouldn't call it a shit game, but it's definitely something I can't enjoy.

cute when you get neat bullets

Why did you make me aware a BG collector's edition exists, and where were did you purchase it for $57?

Will Xoxak ever do another STG review?

He's too busy shitposting on system11

MUH FUCKING DICK

Mah nigga. Love the Darius series.

Who knew Yoko Taro had such good taste?

There's a different final attack for the other transformation as well. The drill finale is fucking amazing every time though.
If you 1CC it, there's a neat little extra after the credits.

JUST

woooow

I think Jamestown, Blue Revolver, Mecha Ritz and Crimzon Clover are pretty good. Kinda hard to go wrong with hooty tooty shoot n' dodgies though, unless the patterns and scoring is total shit. What are you looking for in a shmup?

A classic memorizer, e.g. claustrophobic stage layouts and difficult recovery from deaths. Kids and their danmaku shooters have it easy these days.

Then play Satazius and Zangeki Warp if you're so inclined, gramps.

I'm gonna make one of these games. Never really played one before though, it just seems like a easy thing to make tbh. I shall play some before I make mine though. Which top five should I play?

Any advice on how to make it not suck ass?

They are easy to make programming wise, but you need top tier design if you don't want it on the shit pile. You need very good:
I'm sure something is slipping my mind, but those are the basics.

You need a thorough understanding of shmup stage design and the mechanics involved if you don't wish to make something that's on par with euroshmup crap

So you want to try and 1cc games like Cho Ren Sha 68K, Battle Garegga, Dodonpachi, Ketsui and Raiden Fighters so you can understand how and why they work the way they do.

12 replies and not a single actual rebuttal.

what does this mean?

Let me add a bit to this fellow here

Keep in mind that the audience for an arcady shmup is extremely niche. It is a culture full of autistic masochists who like things difficult, but due to their sheer amount of experience, what you might find difficult and ridiculous is probably just another average pattern to them. Don't be afraid to push the difficulty to its limits, but make the patterns so that they can be dodged properly should the player know how to dodge them. Try not to make them too luck-based. How to score and ways to score is also extremely important for replayability.

As for unique gameplay mechanics outside of lives and bombs and shooting, there are special attacks, charge attacks (wiggles or button holding usually), homing attacks, all of which can be combined here and there. But when you're doing this, make sure that they have a reason to exist, otherwise they'll just act as something stupid like extra damage or extra points or nullifying shots. Any extra mechanic must be designed alongside the entire game, otherwise it's just a gimmick that pretends to make the game less dull. The absolute worst example of this is eXceed 3rd, with possibly the single most insignificant special attack mechanic in existence. The game wouldn't be any better or any worse without it.

Also, try to avoid blinking or shielding mechanics. You can make fun games with these (Furi, Samidare, Ikaruga-types), but I would not encourage them.

To be fair the game's scoring system is largely centered around speedkilling and killing things really fast helps keep you to keep up a scoring multiplier which can go up to 64x, and the special attack really helps with killing things quickly when you knew when an enemy enters the screen, which is especially the case with bigger enemies who contribute to your multiplier more when killed fast than normal zakos. The window for keeping up your speedkill multiplier is anally tight, especially if you want to go higher. It's also refilled faster if you graze bullets, so when playing the game for score its largely about playing aggressively as you point-blank everything and graze as much as possible to refill your special attack which you use to speedkill even more. It certainly feels inconsequential (I certainly thought the same thing when I first played it), but there is a reason for its existence.

To follow up what this user is saying, when you use RNG, do it with control. So for example you could know that something is coming, but WHERE its coming from is something up to chance. Without RNG, replaying games could possibly end up doing the exact same shit over and over again until you get it right especially when the scoring system enforces rigid scoring paths (see: Ikaruga), which might be fun to some if that's the kind of game you are going for, but if you want to challenge your player's reflexes you should do otherwise and within reason.

It becomes RNG bullshit when there's a 10% chance each second for a wave of zakos to spawn each second and possibly ruin your shit because you did not see it coming, but when RNG involves stuff you know what's coming but not exactly how, like whether the incoming zako waves spawns at the top left or top right, or the order of attacks the boss uses, it challenges the player's reflexes while still being fair. Another example is one of Count Dracula's *teleports behind you* attack in Castlevania 1. He disappears so he can strike you, but you have a tight window to move out of the way and strike him back right after he teleports around you. It's just pure reflexes at that point. A notable example is the respawning grunts in Contra who just run around the screen, who don't shoot back but do force you to stay on the move and keep shooting because of their spawning frequency, while still having to constantly watch your back.

A rather bad example of RNG is when scoring strategies rely on luck. For example, the first and second phases of The Edge fight in Furi on Furier can be skipped almost immediately if you boost your attack right at the start of the match so your next strike knocks him down in one hit, but The Edge will always strike you before you're done boosting which you have to parry, but parrying only slightly delays your boost/charge attack. And the thing here is is that his first strike can be either one powerful strike with no follow-ups, which is the one you are looking for so you can finish your boost, or a series of several attacks which force you to restart if you want to speedkill the boss with a respectable time since you cannot maintain a boost through several parries because of the wind-up frames of the boosting after each parry which leaves you vulnerable to another attack during those frames where you can't possibly parry or do anything else but get hit and ruin your best time. In this case you'd want to constantly restart until he attacks the way you want him to so you can get the best time possible, and that's just some bullshit.

Reasons why I don't play Touhou:

There are many better shmups you could be playing on MAME, why limit yourself to just ZUN's trash?

Go play Psyvariar Revision if you want a graze 'em up done right.

oh it's this faggot again

There's reason enough to shit on Touhou but music isn't one of them

wew

Don't forget that the jewish star keeps popping up so it was made by kikes

ZUN is the greatest video game composer in existance. He's an actual genius.

The trumpets only sound like ear stabbing when you have shitty speakers with Crystal Clear™ Dynamic Treble Enhancer™.
Get an audio setup that isn't cheap shit and perhaps your opinion might matter.

#1 reason Touhou is shit: ZUN is a fucking plagiarist.

Some of those are reeeealy stretching it. At any rate, it becomes obvious when you stack them up against each other like that but ZUN's games are just better, the music really drives it home. Also this isn't anywhere near plagiarism by nip standards.

Any shumps without bombs?

The comparison really hightlights how good ZUN's music is.

This pisses me off more than anything in this world

but toho music is cacophonous garbage, my dudes

Tyrian 2000 and Raptor: Call of the Shadows both have GOG installers (so you can either get them cheaply on GOG or just pirate them effortlessly, your call really) and are fucking top-shelf shmups, OP.

Alternately, just download ROMs of Gradius III and R-Type III for SNES. Also both very good.

Others I would personally recommend:
1943 for NES
Gun-Nac for NES
Stinger (American name for a Twinbee game) for NES

GOD no, especially G3, that game plays slower than molasses once you pick up more than two options. The arcade version is fine though, even better on the PS2.

If you want some awesome horis, check out Thunder Force IV and Trouble Shooter Vintage.

Ten minutes into Cho Ren Sha and my finger already hates it. Why would anyone think this is a good idea? How am I supposed to bomb at the right time?

Alltynex 2nd, Reflex, KAMUI

Either stop being a pussy or use turbo, iirc it doesn't even reward mashing hard,something like 3-5 PPS and that's nowhere near hard to sustain.

Cho ren sha question. How do I practice against the bosses. I'm having trouble against the 6th boss?

You can always sort-of practice by selecting Continue from the main menu after you die, which lets you restart in the stage you just died in, but only with basic starting resources (no power-ups, 3 bombs, 2 lifes, no score).

The first phase of the sixth phase is doable enough, but the second phase delves into Psikyo territory with its ultra-fast Psikyo bullets with its second and third attack. I usually find that the safespot for his second spread attack is somewhere off-center from his sprite, so try to position yourself right at the middle beneath the boss, but one or two taps away to the left or right. The third streaming attack can be a right bitch as you have to survive several streams of bullets with intensifying speed, so at best you'll have to at least try micrododging at least three or four streams before macrododging the hell out of there by slowly going up the screen once the stream starts to tighten, but bombs are always useful here. Another trick when you're having difficulty with some bosses is that you can use bombs offensively. Bombs will not deal equal damage to everything on screen, so detonating a bomb very close to the boss is guaranteed to deal more damage.

I honestly don't remember having any slowdown issues with all 4 option orbs out, the slowdown issues generally started when I had to shoot paths through terrain or something, to my recollection. There were some slowdown issues when the screen got really damn full of clutter, but pinning that problem on the option orbs is silly.

Oh, also, C-Laser and E-Laser (when charging) did weird shit to the framerate, for some reason.

Here's a gif showcasing that attack in particular

Really, the games are just too shallow and easy to get any real enjoyment out of. I'm not very good a shmups but even I can beat almost any Touhou games on Lunatic difficulty without much trouble. It's boring. Touhou is the fast food of the shmup genre.
You could even go as far to say that Touhou is to shmups what ASSFAGGOTS are to RTS games, but that might be stretching it.

Or you could just play a shmup that sounds good no matter what speakers you're using.

How does a game designer even program something like that in mind and know it's even possible to do?

It's a combination of having skilled play-testers and simply not giving a fuck how possible it is. One of the most fun parts of danmaku games is trying to make the 'impossible' possible, which is mostly the players' job

Does making a shmup count? Playtesting is the best kind of playing.

There's a slightly old demo at sinoc.itch.io/shmoop2

They've been working on it again a bit recently, I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Castle of Shikigami has just been released, though the reviews mention some crashes

Fumiko is best girl.

Hey! I played that a while back on itch! Nice to know you post here lad!

It's not awful, but holy shit the debris attacks for the boss need a visual cue, and you could definitely use a little less RNG for the items, like sections where it's a guaranteed type, or maybe something that cycles between what you would want . Enemies are too damn tough for the first level, but overall it wasn't bad. Keep up up the good work mate.

Oh shit, is that the Kototsute version? I spent a long time looking for it a couple months back but was never able to find a download link

Have you ever seen the film 'Dinner for Shmups'?

the what?

Magical girls have always been popular. What bothers me is how so many shows are moe trash with no conflict and how the popular art style is so soft and unexpressive.

He did an EDF 4 review on another channel.

Thanks user!
I added a powerup rotation (and the third shot type), softened the enemies a bit and I haven't gotten to the debris yet, but they'll get embiggened for visibility. All focused on level 2 now, but once that's done level 1 will get more intense balancing.

I also need some sort of Strania style tutorial because nobody knows how the systems actually work

I'm talking about the 2013 version, I've been unable to find any working links for it. Pic related

any good summer shmup deals going on?

Where to start with Shmups?

Wait for the summer sale, it starts later this week.

ChoRenSha 68k is not a bad choice
Raiden any of them really
Rayforce/Raystorm/Raycrisis (emulate the arcade versions) KAMUI also ain't half bad as a follow-up, and all of it's presequels if you're into shmups with gimmicks
One of the easier R-type Delta's good, Final is even easier, I don't recall exactly how hard the other are but some of the early ones are way too fucking hard for a first game unless you like brick walls
As a matter of fact browsing random games on MAME isn't that bad of an idea either.

Windows-era 2hu can work if you're not the type to get stuck on your first experience with a thing aka don't become the "2hu iz teh best gaem evar" type

That's a nice figure.
Any more Shmup figures out there?

Are there any other Shmups out there that let you switch between weapons on the fly like in Radiant Silvergun? I loved how every weapon felt situational and the stages were clearly built around constantly switching between them, kind of reminded me of DOOM in a way.

Super Hydorah can't come out fast enough.

I can't think of any shmups with RSG style weapons switching, outside of the common straight/wide shots being assigned to different buttons (like in Eschatos). I am aware of it being used in run and guns like Contra 3, Hard Corps, and Alien Soldier.

Is there a date set yet?

Nope, no price or release date announced.

Ketsui PC port fucking when CAVE?

Massive kudos for actually putting effort into your art instead of pixelshit, looks pretty good so far.

They'll sooner port Espgaluda 2 and Akai Katana since they already have existing X360 ports, and the Ketsui Extra port was handled by another publisher. Though M2 announced they were working on a Rev.2017 of Ketsui for the PS4, which usually implies a pitch-perfect port on top of a new arrange mode and soundtrack. They don't do PC ports, though.

Have you 1cc'd the five most essential shmups yet, Holla Forums?

I only get as far as the last stage of Gradius on Easy with 9 lives…

Good news.
youtube.com/watch?v=wZUB8ylAGVM

:)

Someday I'll complete my lil collection of 360 exclusive shoot em ups.

Someday I'll have 30 dollars.

1-ALL'd Gradius and DDP, cleared RSG's stage 2 route.

should i try playing the game over and over with one credit or is there a better way to get better?

That's how I handled Crimson Clover on novice, but it might be way more of a struggle with any other shoot em up, I'd bet.

I like to use practice mode or savestates to practice stages individually before moving on to the main course, though trying to go through the main game with a limited amount of continues can also help you.

wow pawarumi looks like garbage

No use in replaying a stage you already have down perfect unless you are actually going for a 1CC run. Practice individual stages until you master them as well then go for the full run.

Fun fact: the Tyrian logo is an ambigram.

Also… wot, no Raptor: Call of the Shadows?

(vid related)