Ragnarok Online Thread

A sprite based MMORPG. First launched in 2002 in Korea and 2003 in the US. The Grandfather to Tree of Savior.

ratemyserver.net/
A handy tool to help explain quests/items/monsters/maps. A must have.

riseofmidgard.com/
riseofmidgard.com/wiki

The private server we'll be playing on.

Key features of RoM server are as follows:
Pre-Renewal
Low rate: 5x Base Exp / 5x Job Exp / Item Droprate 3x
Levels cap at 99/50 and 99/70
More can be found in Info & Features tab.

Guild name is InfinityCircuit

Type /bgm to turn on the glorious background music.

If you've never played Ragnarok, this is a great place to start. If you're an old adventurer this is a great way to relive those old times with a decent server that isn't bot infested.

This Server uses "Onboarding System" that helps new players level. The items are temporary (2 weeks) and are relatively generic. You can read more about it here:
riseofmidgard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=831
Guide for finding out what loot is used in quests
irowiki.org/wiki/Quest_Items

Get people old and new into the guild and start having fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Pv54axVC
steamcommunity.com/groups/8vHeRo
discord.gg/84uz35
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Novices can't really do too much. They have a skill that can be learned via a quest called "Play Dead" that is handy, but you lose the skill if you chose any other job class (I forget is Super Novices keep it or not). Get to job level 10 and decide on what class you want next.

NOPE

Your basic physical strong hitter class. Carries a sword (two handed or single handed), spear, or dagger, and a shield (if you're using a single handed sword/dagger). Swordsmen can be built a few different ways. My personal choice is to build his stats in STR, AGI and some DEX. If you're going to be a tank, swap out AGI for VIT.

Knight
Knights are sick mob control, as bowling bash is a Stooges-level attack that smacks the lead enemy in a cluster into the ones around or on top of it, doing massive damage to all of the monsters in the group. An AGI-based knight can use two-handed quicken to puree monsters while dancing around their feeble attempts to counterattack your rain of pain that falls mainly on their brain. Bowling bash is handy for when a gaggle of the bastards come a' callin', and need to be thinned out so your FLEE doesn't get destroyed. Being attacked by multiple enemies severely cripples your ability to dodge attacks, which is why mobbing tough enemies with multiple people is so effective.

If you go VIT, you are a fortress of smack, and can ignore many enemies' attacks due to your massive health pool and high defense rating, in addition to your absurd health recovery abilities.

Crusader
Crusaders gain a massive HP pool due to the Faith skill. You'll want it as its a requirement for most of the other skills and also because getting some 16k extra HP is just a nice thing to have.

Interestingly enough, you'll likely want to start investing some what into Int for a crusader as they are more skill dependent than their Knight counterparts. Holy Cross, Grand Cross, and a variety of shield skills will be soaking up your SP pool so invest some what into Int.

If you'd like you can go the Spear Quicken route as well. Crusaders don't get as many skills with the spear that Knights do, but you'll be able to do some spear based attacks if your build is made for speed.

If you plan on being your teams tank (like I am) You'll want to invest in Devotion. Devotion allows you to take all incoming damage for your party member (within a 10 level range of your self). This is very good for squishy classes like mages and other classes that have spells that need a few seconds to cast. By devoting them you'll soak up the damage while they continue to cast without issue. Just be sure to have some potions or a healer on your team.

Why not originsRO?

A few of us scouted low rate servers and I don't recall ever seeing this one. Can you tell me any particular good things about this one?

It doesn't have any sort of micro transactions/donations/any other real money involvement.
That's all I know though.
I played for like couple of days, I didn't like the game all that much

It also seems to have just gotten Einbroch and Einbech. Seems like they're rolling out some of the stuff slowly witch I suppose is understandable for a legacy server. RoM seems balanced enough, only costume stuff is in the cash shop and the server seems ok so far.

I was just curious.
Also is there server/mod/anything that changes enemies' sounds without changing other sounds? I swear to god I stopped playing mostly because of those cactuses.

I've never heard of a mod to change enemy sounds, but that sounds neat. Unfortunately I can't say I've heard of or seen a way to change the sound. however you can always type /sound to enable/disable it. same goes for the background music with /bgm.

I like sounds of footsteps, ambiance and whacking enemies with weapons, so I didn't want to disable sounds altogether.

Toss magic bolts of different elements at your foes. Wields staffs or daggers. Magicians are best used with INT (for strong spells) and DEX (for faster casting) builds. Other good skill points can be AGI to evade attacks, or VIT to take more hits.

Wizard
Wizard is basically AoE and concentrated damage attacks, with some oddities here and there. Want to farm looter enemies fast? Cast Storm Gust on your location, danger close, and turn off autoloot (type @autoloot in the chat box/console). Drop an item to start the pain train, and keep casting it. Enemies in thick-spawning areas will come running for the great taste of face-rape.

Sage
Offensively, sages build on the mage skill tree by allowing movement and auto-attacking while casting spells. Sages also have an ability that lets them auto-cast spells for a discount while attacking, opening up the possibility of an agi-based build.

Before they transcend, sages are an unusual support class. They provide utility to their physically attacking allies by changing the element of their attacks. They can also dispell buffs from enemies and debuffs from allies

After becoming a professor, the support sage's role changes entirely. They gain access to soul change, an ability that switches your mana pool with an ally's, and life tap indulge, which lets them trade health for mana. Their role as mana batteries makes them essential for large parties.

Cool, nice to see people trying out RoM.

Here's a super-brief server-specific beginner leveling guide:

Kafra's got free warps to most anywhere. Warp to the Payon Newbie field (it's spores!)

Pop-ups will come up every few levels giving you free gear and offer to warp you to better spots. Go for it if you don't have a better idea.

At level 50, return to the rising adventurer's building (where you start, 7 o'clock in central pront). The bottom left NPC will allow you to enter the "beginner wave mode". Click "Join Melee Wave" and you have to kill a couple things for a fixed 10% base/job. Do this up until job change, go anywhere to grab the first few easy job levels, then go back until you get kicked out at 71. (Acolytes should try the undead wave mode, bring pneuma) The bronze coins can be spent at the weapon crafter upstairs for starting weapons.

Couple notes:
- You get free resets until 80, one more free one after that
- The 4x exp beginner manual you get can only be used until base 50, but feel free to save it until you transcend
- There's a hunting mission NPC which is the main easy way to casually level, easy quests give you a fixed 12% exp (even at 98) and hard missions (for parties, generally) grant 24%
- Devil's Square runs a few times a day (9am, 3pm, 9pm PST at least) and grants fixed-% exp, coins for the crafting system, and event coupons good for buff scrolls, and more
- If you log out while vending, you stay vending for a couple days until you log in that account again
- Multi-client is supported and encouraged

Also I think it's common for all pre-renewal servers - at roughly what level I will be able to get second job?

About 63 if you go job 50

All you need to get a second job is to hit job level 40. You can elect to go to 50 for extra bonuses as well as the ability to have more skillpoints to spend. Some classes (like acolite/priests) really should keep it up until 50, as you need every skill point you can get.

That's so long. I had the same problem with TOS.
I guess I need to dig up some guide on quick leveling after all.

this is a 5x base and job server. so you can get to second class in an afternoon if you know where to go. If you don't just ask and I'll be happy to work along side you.

Long range fighter. Archers who are using bows require arrows. So always keep an eye out on your arrow count before going into the field as arrows are consumables. You can find arrows for sale in most NPC shops. Archers Damage with a bow is determined by the DEX Stat. So pump up that DEX. Similar to the mage AGI can help you evade foes while VIT can let you take more hits.

Hunter
Hunter is what it says on the tin. You're a remorseless killing machine that cannot be reasoned with or bargained with. The judicious use of traps to immobilize enemies allows you to solo some MVPs, making lesser enemies a cake walk. Groups of enemies are a bit of a hassle, and there are skills to deal with that, but mobs should be avoided. Unless you went full luck and have your accipiter hawk just brutalize anything and everything you notch an arrow at.

Bard/Dancer
You graduate from a high-DPS Archer to a heavy duty utility class; however, Bards and Dancers are still able to level on their own, using what they've learned from being an archer.

They have the ability to "perform" and lay down an aura that causes various effects based upon the song or dance used.
You'll notice that you can only become either a Bard or Dancer based upon whether you are a boy or grill: boys being Bards, grills being smoking hot Dancers.

For both classes you gain the ability to wield close-range weaponry that deal damage based upon Dexterity rather than strength. Whips for Dancers, Instruments for Bards. Both with respective mastery skills that also increase song/dance effectiveness. So max that mastery, really.
They can also throw arrows at enemies using their weapons. Kind of neat.

Both gain access to Ensembles which require both a bard and a dancer to have invested in, and they're pretty niche-use. Do not worry about getting one too much unless you have your heart set on it with a partner bard/dancer. No, bards can't perform with other bards; thas' gay, yo'. And dancers cannot dance with other dancers– that's forbidden love.

Now for the obvious differences between the two classes:
Bards tend to lean towards support, reciting poems, songs, and ballads that inspire those around them.
The first is A Poem of Bragi which decreases cast times and cooldowns, and you are going to learn this song or you are not a Bard. Its effectiveness is based upon the performer's intelligence and dexterity.
The second is Apple of Idun which increases max hp for everyone who hears it. Based on Vitality.
The third is Assassin Cross of the Sunset. It inspires people to stop being wusses and attack faster. Based on Agility.
The fourth and kind of lame song is A Whistle. It increases flee rate and perfect dodge. Based on Agility and Luck.
Bards also have a screen-wide skill that freezes abso-lute-ly everything named "Frost Joker". At level 5, it's a 40% chance to freeze whoever is unlucky enough to hear you attempt to make a joke. Even your party members. It's fun as h*ck.
Pastebin for editing the lines that are spat out when using it: pastebin.com/Pv54axVC
Overall, Bards tend to be the life of their parties.

Dancers however tend to be the center of attention with their performances.
Please Don't Forget Me is the name of one of their dances. It heavily decreases walk speed and attack speed for anyone caught in its range. Fantastic for WoE, an absolute nightmare to deal with when attempting to assault. Acts like a moving ultra-quagmire in PvE however. Attackspeed reduction increases with Dex, Movespeed reduction with Agility.
Service For You largely increases the SP pools of all who watch, along with decreasing sp costs, and increasing sp regen rates. It's a lovely support dance, and expected to be maxed if you plan to level in a party. Effectiveness based solely upon Intelligence.
Fortune's Kiss increases critical rates of everyone in eyeshot. Kind of lame, but pretty nice for melee attackers having trouble hitting mobs. Based upon Luck.
The last dance, "Humming", increases hit rate. Don't get this. That is, don't get this if you aren't planning to get Into The Abyss for fun Abra Kadabra parties with a bard friend.
Dancers get a screen-wide stun, as compared to bards who get a screen-wide freeze, named Scream. You shout lewd things at everyone and the shock causes them to drop everything. Even your party members. Fun.

When either class transcends, they gain some more utility. Neat things like Arrow Vulcan which will make up for being a really slow attacker with a 1200% attack burst of arrow-slinging, Tarot Card of Fate which can and will fuck up everything and everyone in PvP if they're unlucky enough, Marionette Control which endows a party member with half of your stats (you can't do fugging anything while controlling someone), and Longing For Freedom which allows you to move around and act while performing an ensemble.

I'd advise picking an easy leveling class to start if you're concerned. Either Mage of Archer are basically free. Once you've got some wealth you can level other classes a little more easily.

The real key is the Wave Mode though, it trivializes the hard part of leveling your first job. Unless you're a merchant, you should have no trouble.

Thanks, I guess I'll give it a roll on this server.
I live in australian timezone though, so probably when I'll be playing nobody will be around.

It may sound autistic but I tend to invest into one character and avoid having alts.

Cool, glad to have you around. Once you get set up post your character name and I'll add you to the guild.

Yeah I totally get the no alt thing, dont worry too much though with the starter gear they give you you'll be okay whatever you pick.

As far as timezone goes, I have no idea what peak hours are but I get the impression a lot of folks aren't in NA. Server's pretty quiet in general (which is nice as far as I'm concerned)

I played on that other serb we had infinitycircuit on(origins RO I think?) and I'm getting the itch again.
My character there was a wizard, what should I go for now? Also, is anyone from back then still around(besides you, GM)

The Happy Merchant is here! Merchants are primarily used by players who just want to get more profits on the loot they sell to NPCs. But can also be used to sell items to players by setting up a shop. You'll find lots of player owned shops around towns. Merchants can also be good fighters similar to swordsmen. To be completely honest, I don't really have a good idea on how best to make your merchant, but if you'd like to fight with a sword, dagger, or axe, I'd recommended a similar build to a swordsman.

Blacksmith
Two-handed axes suit Merchants.
Remember, the weight that you have on your cart makes you hit HARDER, therefore ALWAYS have your cart filled to maximum capacity with whatever useless crap you have. Try to reach the perfect cap.

AGI / STR are your friends with a Blacksmith. They hit harder than Knights and faster than them, exception of a Frenzy Lord Knight. Knights just are faster, last longer and are easier to have.

Blacksmiths / Whitesmiths lack proper AoE skills, and the best skills costs MONEY, so be sure if you want a merchant.
However, if this server has resets, that I dont know, you can perfectly fine have a Blacksmith reach lv99 and not rebirth him, reset his stats to DEX and LUCK to craft elemental weapons to yourself and the guild, you can also sell them to players since they are quite valuable.
Since you craft weapons, you can try to upgrade them beyond the safe +4, try to reach +10, don't go beyond that.

Whitesmiths (rebirth of Blacksmith) can UPGRADE weapons way better than the NPC with better % chance and with less materials."

Alchemist
Alchemists are an interesting bunch. They have the ability to craft potions and summon some monsters to fight for them, though a bit limited to plants and marine spheres (basically time bombs).

An Alchemist can toss potions to his allies for just a little extra kick from the potion. Works well when teaming up with SP dependent classes (as long as they let you know they need SP).

One of the best reasons to make an alchemist though so for the Homunculi. Homunculus come in 4 different flavors (with 8 looks between them all), One has quick attack speed, another is a magic bolt user, then you have the tanky one. And finally you have the sort of odd one that costs more to maintain than the others. but at least she's a cutie.
Do your Bio Ethics quest and get one after crafting an Embryo and do your best to help your guildmates with there brewing needs.

Welcome back. Last year we played on HeRO server. This time we're gonna try a new server to see how things go.
As for what character you should try out this time, feel free to do whatever. I'm gonna go Crusader again as I feel its a great way to help people level.

Which one the guild is on?

Those are just proxies, there's only one actual main server (on the next screen). Choose whatever, there.

Once you get done with your newbie training stuff, post your character name here and I'll get you into the guild.

Is it time to roll merchant again again again?

Agile and quick hitters, Thief's can do very well for a new player who's looking to get a bit more out of each fight. Using daggers or swords Thief's can learn double hit as a passive skill to sneak in a little extra damage per hit. They can also attempt to steal items off monsters even if they don't fight them at all! Thief's are built best with STR and AGI in mind with some DEX thrown in. There are other ways to build a Thief but that's just my suggestion.

Assassin
Your go to for pvp instagibbing. That's most of what they do. They have very few skills and half of them are shit. They are good at both pvp and pve regardless of how you build, but you have few build options. Build STR+INT for maximum pvp instagib plus mobbing option or agi+str for pve and some pvp/woe action. Choose between double daggers or katars (katars are the cheaper option). Choose between Deadly Poison (fucking costly to make) + Sonic Blow/Grimtooth or the damaging SinX skills(they don't benefit from Deadly Poison). FYI Deadly poison costs a ton to make and only lasts for 60 but increase your damage by up to 400% (which, again, doesn't effect the SinX attack skills). That's enough to 1shit niggas with Sonic blow and it helps with destroying Emperium (how you take guilds), a lot. In short, you should always be useful for killing shit, it's a matter of what you specialize in killing and how.

There is more to know, but beginners only need to know that much.

Rogue
Dick-ass thieves. Well balanced jack of all trades that can do just about anything. Two very strong builds with them: dagger gank or bow. Dagger gank rogues are masters of getting comfy, left clicking mobs, and raking in tons of loot. Bow rogues don't have a variety of ranged attacks like hunters, but they have a lot of utility skills to keep them alive. Double strafe as a bow hunter is stable and easy, dagger gank with plagiarism can get frustrating but allows for some cool shit and lodsemone. Able to dabble in everything but masters of nothing but theft.

Get about a million times better as a Stalker, where they transition from master looters to extreme perverts who enjoying leaving their opponents crippled and naked instead of outright killing them.

Sure man, make loads of monie. Thinking of going blacksmith or alchemist later on?

Probably smithy as usual.

Acolyte is a base class focused on healing, buffing, supporting oneself and others and fighting demon and undead monsters. There are essentially two paths when playing as acolyte: going maximum support and undead-killing with high intelligence and vitality into a Priest or building as a self-buffing battle class that will eventually change into a Monk. Regardless, with so many useful acolyte skills changing class at Job Level 50 is practically mandatory in all cases.

Important skills: Heal, Agility Up, Blessing, Pneuma (all builds), Angelus (Support), Divine Protection lvl 10 and Demon Bane lvl 10 (Monk)

Priest
The ultimate party support and healer. With high Int, Vit and some Dex you have great healing, solid survivability and good casting time to keep your teammates buffed and healed with minimal SP downtime. Even if by some miracle you don't have people wanting to party with you you can still solo level by healbombing undead monsters and exorcizing powerful undead like Anubis. High vit is mandatory for PVP and War of Emperium as you will be targeted by virtually everyone of the enemy team.

''Important skills": Impositio Manus, Ressurrection, Magnificat, (all builds), Kyrie Eleison (Priest) OR Assumptio (High Priest), Turn Undead (Exorcist).

Monk
Unlike the support-oriented Priest, the Monk is a more rounded and self-sufficient fighter with some supernatural abilities of his own. Monks have a wide variety of skills available - from high damage combo attacks to the close-ranged Investigate which deals higher damage the higher the defense of the foe to freezing attacking foes with Blade Stop and their most famous skill - the incredibly powerful Asura Strike. The downsides to being a monk are the very limited SP, limited support abilities and the fact that many of your skills are forced neutral damage, which makes it difficult to deal with certain foes and builds.

There are two paths one can go when playing as Monk/Champion: agility-focused combo builds that deal good sustained damage and can easily dodge enemy attacks (and are fun to boot) to dexterity-focused builds that rely on their spirit skills such as Investigate and Finger Offensive as well as Asura Strike. Regardless, you will want very high strength on both counts for maximum damage.

Important Skills: Summon Spirit Sphere, Investigate (All Builds), Triple Attack, Chain Combo and Combo Finish (Combo), Finger Offensive, Asura Strike (Spirit), Dangerous Soul Collect and Body Relocation (Champion).

I'm ready to jew once again. Send invite when you're on.

Whats your character name?

Shakim why do you think I namefagged goy?

fug, I didn't even see that name, sorry about that.

Get me into the guild, char name is Yasuho

Rolonith here, it's good to be back baby.
I just wish I wasn't spending all day sleeping or making bank so I could play more with you bastards.

I sent you a PM, but no response. it should show up in yellow text.

Good to have you back in action. see you soon enough dude.

I gotta brb, sorry. Be back later

Installing now.

Look forward to playing along side you my most trusted ally.

Sorry for the delay, I'm around again, Yasuho, can you whisper again please?

Taekwon's are a pretty interesting character type. They primary use no items to attack with other than their kicks. Leveling up Taekwon's skills are basically determined if you'll go ether Taekwon Master or Soul Linker. Level a Taekwon with STR, AGI or VIT and some DEX to help hit. You'll start out your early days being a physical fighter so be strong for now. If you decide to go the magical path of a soul linker, you can always reset your stats in this server (for a price of zenny).

Tekwon Master
Star Gladiator (Taek Master) are the most weird class of the bunch, depending if the number of the day is odd, or if it's day or night or what month it is… His power changes.

He can only have one of these powers in three maps, however, you can stack all of these in a single map.
It also focus on targets with the same name, choose wisely.
As you can see, it sounds pretty stupid, but when you have a Star Gladiator stacked a single map, they become GOD destroyer of worlds.
This little fellas deal MASSIVE damage on that map and are truly fearsome.
If you are an advanced player or you want to invest to be filthy RICH make a Star Gladiator and put your three maps on Morroc, where all the Satan's Morroc shadows are. If you focus the Ghosts you can try to lure them alone and 1v1 them into oblivion and pray to the gods that you get Diabolus ring, which usually costs a fucking fortune."

Soul Linker
The more mystically-inclined Taekwons can become Soul Linkers, eschewing their martial foot fighting to become one of the most powerful magic classes in the game. Soul Linkers can…
These buffs do anything from allow Bards and Dancers to benefit from their own auras and cast eachother's auras, to doubling the damage and halving the cooldown of an Assassin's Sonic Blow, to enabling a Super Novice to ignore many class restrictions on equipment.

These include heal-when-struck Kaahi, auto-revive-on-death Kaizel, damage ignoring Kaupe, and magic reflecting Kaite.

These include the immense slow Eswoo, and the trolling Eske/Eska

These include the knockback Estin, the stunning Estun, and the nuking Esma.

While they lose the ability to cast all of their kicks, they can still cast High Jump and Running.

While the Soul Links, Ka- buffs, and Es- Debuffs are fairly self-evident in their power, the Es- damage spells are perhaps the most impressive single target damage spells in the entire game:

Unfortunately, due to their power, they have several severe limitations:

In spite of their one-man-army PvE power and their extremely powerful support buffs, they are not recommended for a first-timer, as they usually require a stat reset (if not also a skill reset) after becoming a Soul Linker, are fairly dependent on a feel for the game's mechanics for their survivability, and a large amount of skill build pressure.

They are however a very solid second-or-later choice, as they are effectively the Magical equivalent of a Sniper, only with more mobility, more survivability, and lacking an ammo crafting requirement."

Fug, okay what class am I going to play painfully averagely this time? SinX was alright but I don't know if I want to level that again. How much does lag impact being a healbot?

Pick whatever you want. Server seems ok enough connection wise.

we've got 2 mages, a swordsman(me) a thief and a happy merchant so far.

Mukas have always been notorious for their autistic screeching.
Don't worry there is no monster in the entire game with a worse sound than that.

Pirone here.
Tried OriginsRO recently.
The good stuff to me is that there isn't shit like is describing. No warps to field, no healer, no free buffs, no eden-style bullshit, no hourly annoying events and no battlegrounds cancer. It's just the bare game like it was back in the day.
The downside is that they're really behind on pre-renewal content, still missing lots of maps and there's still no transclasses. Still best server that is closest to vanilla game but with a decent 5x rate that I've played. I can play on this RoM if you guys prefer.

Yeah but I'm assuming server location is US? Since I'm down under I'll always have some lag so trying to pick something that wont fuck me since I don't have an amazing connection to begin with.

don't do this to me again anons

My issue with Origins is just how slow the stuff has been coming out. I suppose to get a really old school feel that's one way to do things, but I'd much rather play on a server that has all the stuff ready to go as we tend to only play during the summer.

RoM was a server that a few of us agreed to try out. It's got some offenses like what you pointed out, but so far it seems ok. This is only the first thread so far. If we're gonna disagree on a server, now would be the time to do it. we looked for servers a month or so ago. you should have joined us in looking

Didn't see any threads boss, sorry.
I really don't want to play in a server that has all that free and hyper stuff.
Since we only play on summer, Origins would be interesting since we could always return there and have "new" stuff and an unstable meta. Playing with shit like instances and battlegrounds and easy ass exp quests will have we doing all that custom content instead of playing the actual game. HeRO was player hosted event, muspelheim, mad hatter, battlegrounds and Siroma hell.

How's the monster catching in this serb?

It would seem a lot of the eggs are in the cash shop in this server. I'm not sure if its all of them, but its a lot of them. Though tames still drop in the wild so its possible to go hunting for them as well.

I'm willing to check it out. You're still in the steam group yeah? send me a message and we can try to get organized.

I'm not very active there…
But I'll hop on there tomorrow.

Fucking wew lad, what's the fun in that? Catching an Alice with 0.02% probability is more exciting than just buying her.

Speaking of that, I should link both that and the Discord at least once a thread.
steamcommunity.com/groups/8vHeRo (outdated info)
discord.gg/84uz35

I agree. Post your character name if you play, I've got a orange juice for Drops tame if you'd like it.

Haven't played RO in forever. What would be a good stat build if im going to go bard with you guys? Since some songs seem to be dependant on stats.

I didn't play bard for long when I did but depends on the songs you want to play pretty sure. The cast speed one was dex dependent if I remember correctly? Probably safer to look it up though than trust that

You'll want to stat with DEX and INT in mind. The cast speed song (Bragi or Strings?) utilizes both for the bonus. Skew towards DEX so you can do more ranged damage early on if you have to solo. INT also helps for that song, but the reduction in cast speed time and delay time after cast is much more useful in parties.

So something around 2:1 for dex/int?

Sounds about right, there's free resets anyway so don't stress too much over it

free stat/skill reset untill base level 80 in this server.

Good enough, i only played a few classes and not alot but wanted to try bard, thanls user. Gonna join you guys once im home

Alright, I'm back and updated. Upon closer inspection, I have decided to go for the qt priestess instead of a happy merchant.

Anybody still around? I have no idea what I'm doing.

oh boy here we go again

A few of us are on. Post with your character name and I'll get you into the guild.

Eriye

Wow you weren't kidding about x5 rates.
I think I'm ready to join in, my nick is Carbelan.

Hopefully this will help people having trouble with figuring out how to type to guild chat. It'll save me time if you see it here

Never played before, guess I'll try it on this 65 person populated server. Add SAM HYDE

YellowArmada

Alright, add my future bard
Johnny Shiden

Eriye please come back it's okay everyone fucks up guild chat sometimes

Speaking about the lore, doesn't this mean we play as giants? These machines whatever are they called supposed to be like 30 meters tall.

E V E N T
make your novices boys let's check out this hot mess

Also this might sound stupid, but is the only part that you can cosmetically customize character's head?
Are there any costumes or accessories for body? Or you will forever wear your class costume only changing it with your class?

class costume, but you can change your colors at a stylist, or in a rare situation your look with a gear that makes you look different, however those gears tend to make you unable to make any sort of attack/skill as to not be abused in competitive situations.

Today was pretty fun. Got more new players than I expected, and it was great to see old faces again.
I'll be going to sleep for now, but I would hope that anyone online add others from the thread if I can't do it.

You fags have fun.

TL;dr on how renewal is different? Because somebody mentioned today that what we were doing felt like renewal, despite server not being one.

I don't quite follow iRO renewal but on kRO renewal (which NovaRO is modeled off of)
Most radical difference. 3rd classes have skills that are vastly stronger than their lower counterpart's. This doesn't make the entire 2nd job/transcendent skill sets obsolete though, only most of them.
You can read about this on iRO wiki, it's mostly correct and uniform between iRO and kRO (not jRO though, they have their own kind of renewal). But the most important ones are the change to DEF/MDEF, ATK and instant cast
This sounds like it was made harder but it's actually much easier, because you can easily get 120 DEX and 120 INT as a caster, then use 2 pieces of 20 food to get both to 140, and then +6 food dropping like candy from instance to get it to 146, then 16 DEX and INT from Arch Bishop's buff. That's already 162DEX and 162INT, which makes 486/530 already, and that's not counting stat from gears
Long story short, this was put into place to make it so that you need good weapon to do more damage and can't stick to something like an overupgraded Composite Bow [4] with 4 Archer Skeleton in it.
Basically, hard DEF/MDEF comes from equipments, and they reduces incoming damage by percentage. They also have diminishing return. For example, 100 hard MDEF reduces magic damage by 50%, and 50 hard MDEF reduces it by 30%.
Soft DEF/MDEF comes from stats and reduces incoming damage by that amount.
You can have all sort of shits like +10% ranged damage on an accessory; a pair of boots giving 200 DEX by chance while attacking at range for 10 seconds while draining 200 SP per second, or its INT and STR counterpart; and then some.
This one is arguable. Some people like it, some don't. Basically you have this thing called "gramps quest". In Eden Headquarters, there's a quest board that gives you 2 quests asking you to kill about 400 monsters each. There's also a NPC called Gramps that will teleport you to a map littered with those monsters and then some. The quest is repeatable and has a 4 hours cooldown, people usually party up to do it in like an hour. On Nova it can give up to 8 levels just from quest reward, and then you can get about 2 to 3 levels from just killing those mobs. There are 3 tiers: Level 85-114, 115-144, and 145-175.
There are lots more but those are just off the top of my head.

Also the reason that person says it felt like renewal was probably because of the Rising gear from the Onboarding system mentioned in OP. They have the exact same sprite as the Eden gear renewal servers often give. And I haven't looked at their stats yet but they're probably the same. So yeah, it'd feel a bit like renewal in that regard.

Well Marissa NPC forcefully railroading you into grinding spots based on your level also sounds like something from renewal.

Cool, you guys found a new server instead of going back to heRO. How does this server compare to heRO so far (the economy most importantly)?
Debating whether I want to pick something more fun like a Wizard or roll a Priest again.

The server is in Virginia. If I'm on the west coast, should I connect to the server directly, or use the LA proxy?

Pirone here,, waking up. I'll still recommend OriginsRO instead of his RiseOfMidgard server.
Seems to me like RoM is HeRO 2.0 now with less hourly event but more free stuff and linearity.
Also Origins drop rate is 5x instead of 3x.

*of this RiseOfMidgard
I tought the typo made it look like I was talking about Logan specificaly, made me unconfortable.

Apparently they're using their own .grf file, so if you wanted to make custom Screams/Frost Jokes you'll need to put the text file in a folder named "rise" instead.

I've considered playing but I feel like it's gonna eat up all of my time again. I also wish Gunslingers were good.

You can always decline the offer to warp you.

The economy is pretty fucked, in that its almost non existent. daily rewards seem to put off the need for people to make potions so there aren't too many venders selling herbs and such. The crafting system in this server also removes the value of rare gears (crafted items are account bound). You can connect to the LA server, It seems ok to me so far.

RoM seems like a nice server for newbies. But all of the handholding is optional. You don't have to wear the free gears and the handouts stop at level 60.
As for Origins drop rate, 5x is nice, but without transcendence I feel like our autism will cause us to top out too fast.

So more people than I thought where interested in Origins server. So I'm gonna take a look into that. I'll give my thoughts of it in a few hours.

The fuck is this? Should I just wait a day for the mains to come back online? I have a feeling the clients in the mirrors are outdated or something.

I'm not really happy about the way you're describing the economy and crafting (grinding BGs killed my enthusiasm for heRO), but maybe I'll still give it a chance.
Apparently the LA proxy is for SE asian players, so it's probably better for west coast folks to connect directly to the Virginian server.

Give me an invite to the guild. My characters name is Darx

I can say that the economy seems nice there.
Vendors vending herbs everywhere and Blacksmith made gear seems to be the best available if you want pure elemental damage.
Tough I'm a noob when it comes to MMO economy, it might also be fucked by second glance since the server is a bit old.

Give me an invite to the guild. My characters name is Darx

Thanks for checking it out. A better economy would be nice; I would rather grind for rare gear than for everybody to have the same high tier stuff handed to them for free. Player activity seems comparable from the server stats. The two things I worry about are, RoM is much newer than OriginsRO so the playing field would be more level, and more importantly I can't find any info on where OriginsRO is hosted, so I don't know how laggy it will be. The lag in heRO made it impossible for me to enjoy PvP so this could be a decisive factor.

So how is originsRO?
IS it safe to assume we'll be going there from now on or nothing's official yet?

Checking out the market in Prontera at the moment. Card prices are surprisingly assessable. However, most things seem to be. I think that's due to how difficult to farm things might be on this server.
There are 3 Bathory cards going for 499k in the market at the moment. Slotted bucklers seem to be premium at nearly 1mil in some shops. People buying alchemy items at competitive prices.
Economy looks good. or at least alive compared to RoM. Not a full endorsement yet, but things are looking good.

Checked the oRO, it's vanilla as fuck but seems to be pretty healthy. Population is fuck all on other hand.

Alright just in case, I remade a char in Origins RO
Invite me for guild: Johnny Shiden

So here is my writeup on Origins RO.

Pros:
It feels a lot like my first time playing RO. Very few helpful items/starter stuff. You leave the tutorial with 0z, but there is a merchant selling potatoes you can sell your beginner loot to for a few zenny. Taking advantage of the tutorial area is key to having a good start.
After getting my bearings I went to Prontera and saw a lively marketplace. As I mentioned some prices are surprising.
Drops feel pretty similar to 3x, but not noticeably increased. still, a + in my book without feeling too generous.
So far people seem English speaking and willing to work with each other.

Cons:
I wasn't sure if this should be a con, but some people might feel its too hard without easy handouts to get you started. Always remember to save in the nearest town or your be in for a long walk, or a lighter wallet.
Not too big a deal, but it would seem that only the basic stylist exists, though I have seen custom colored (to my understanding) people wondering around.
It's the game in a pretty pure form. From the looks of things, there won't be events to break the monotony, so be sure to take breaks to hold off burnout.
This is the biggest change and difference I've ever seen in any server. Perhaps all the mobs are set to a very ancient RO style, but it's pretty disorienting going south of payon and not finding spores we had to go to culverts to find them in good numbers .
Just as it sounds. No stat/skill resets. You better know what your build is going to be because spent stats/skills are permanent.

Over all:
I was more resistant last night to the idea of going to a server like this, but after seeing what I've seen and especially finding that there is an active and living economy, I think this is a server to play on. At least for now.
If you have the will to play on a harder server, I think this is the place. I'm willing to help anyone I can level up once I get strong enough. Come next thread I'll be making the starting pasta to reflect this servers info.

Please feel free to express any thoughts to this. Sorry for any confusion to anyone who got started on RoM yesterday, but better we do server switching now then down the line.

We're working on getting an emperium right now. I'll add you once I get the guild set up.

Scratch the previous name, it's gonna be Karyl Shiden since class change didn't resetted my stats

They are, some stats are a bit different too, you have to check their own database to check their definitive stats and locations.

So we going Origins then?

Is it giving you the d3d or grf thing? If it is try different resolutions I was getting it too and changing res fixes it

You're still grinding for the shit in RoM to be fair they require some mats plus the previous tier weapon/armour to be traded in

Yeah, I think this will be a good server. RoM was pretty easy modo.

I'd adjusted the resolution before, and toggled windowed mode on and off. This is all I get.

What resolution did you change to?

That's not the same error I was getting so I'm not sure if changing res will help, if you google the error you should generally be able to find a solution since RO released on steam and your average F2P steam game player is fucking retarded so there should be thread after thread of people asking the same question.

ATTENTION

So with the decision to move to the OrginsRO server, I've decided to nuke this thread at midnight (3 hours from this post). This way new anons who find the thread aren't lead to the RoM server. I ask that you sage post as to not bump to the front page from now until the thread is deleted.

Sorry for the inconvenience during this switch.

Sounds interesting and much closer to vanilla RO than anything I've experienced before. I think I will enjoy grinding at a slower pace in zones that I haven't experienced before this time around. No stat or skill resets is kinda scary but I can live with it. I'd also like to know what's up with the monster spawns. My only real concern is where the server is located and how well it runs.
Downloading OriginsRO as we speak; I didn't see a way to use data files from heRO unfortunately.

I'll be nuking this thread soon, but once the new one is up, feel free to post your character name (or if you can do it before the nuke) and we'll get you into the guild. Welcome back.

Shit sorry, forgot to sage.
Apparently OriginsRO is hosted in Europe, which is disappointing considering most of our players last time were in the US or Asia. I hope the lag isn't bad.

Still deciding what to roll but thanks Logan.

Do we really gotta move like that? I was having some casual fun in the current one

You're free to continue on RoM, but the efforts of the guild will be switching over to Orgins. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough people concerned with server finding a month ago, so now that the flaws have been better pointed out and we've found something that I think its more fitting of us, we'll be switching to OrginsRO. Once again, sorry for all the trouble, but I figured if we're gonna switch severs, better to do it now then later when people get more invested.