russiandog.bitballoon.com/
pastebin.com/PSY8ZznG
pastebin.com/Pa3ceSsf
pastebin.com/QfQwMWfM
docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/pools.html
imgur.com/gallery/BJlkm1w
imgur.com/gallery/AWCv3
godot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/classes/class_node.html#class-node-is-in-group
godot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/learning/step_by_step/scripting_continued.html#groups
aclu-mo.org/newsviews/2003/06/26/sodomy-law-overturned
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder not to overwork yourself

Never give up, but that doesn't mean you can never take breaks.

Just 4 more work days before im free to gamedev allday erryday

Also, if someone has some free time to read my shit please check my devblog
I want to iron the lore and backstory very well early, and fill all possible plotholes since im going to be using this same setting for at least the next 3 games.
fablesoflaetus.com/
Complete progress report tonight when i get home

I compensated my lack of artistic skill by plastering lots of cheesy over the top violence on sprites. It worked for Brutal Doom and nuDoom.

Jesus fuck user, wouldn't it be better to just write a novel at this point and just tie the game into it or use the game to promote novel like the guy did with Project Einhenjar?
You certainly have enough settings and lore for it.

it's like you don't even want to ever finish it.

Im not a good writer, thats why i need people to point out the problems for me, in my head everything makes sense, so i often forget to explain some details.

It has been my dream for 20 years user

What's the TL;DR of what the game is supposed to be like? How do you actually play, do you play a character or command many characters and what's the objective?

Just glancing over it, are you sure you NEED all that lore?
You gotta realize that most people are not going to bother learning the rules of your world, especially if there's that many of them. So you'll have to explain them when they come into play.
The only reason I see for wanting this much lore is if you wanna take the Open World approach, being able to learn all this in lore books and by talking to characters in a huge world at your own accord, but frankly, user, you're going about it the wrong way. Do you have a main character/party and their general stories developed yet? That's where you gotta start, and build the world afterwards, because really, the world is background noise in most cases.

My game's setting is a small town that MC has a lot of history with, history that makes her predicament take on a very different meaning. But it's entirely possible to play the entire game with seeing only a mere hint of that backstory, and it's still entirely possible to have a fulfilling experience without any of that history being learnt.

Its on the oldest blog post
fablesoflaetus.com/everyday/

That doesn't really answer the question.

Will I be going around and doing things like in Factorio and Stardew valley?
Will I be selecting and moving around characters like in an RTS?
Will I make tasks and then watch characters do them like in Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress?

Shit it down!

Do most people care for Dark Souls lore?
No, but it is still an important part of the game, those who do care read item description after description trying to fit all puzzle pieces together.
I won't shove lore and exposition on the player's face, specially for the first game, it will be stuff you find only if you want to find it.
Im letting it out because i have to, i can't keep all of this inside my head, its making me insane, and since i need to write this down, why not do it right from the start?
I do have the main character backstory in my mind, but i have to explain a whole lot to getting to that point, the game happens right after a big event in the world.
I want to be able to explain why monstergirls exist, why the main character suddenly appears in this village with (almost) only cute girls,
Also next game will be open world and combat heavy

Yes
No, one character
The faeries will work for you if you keep them happy, i will make sure you can automate every aspect of the farm, but will require maintenance and planning.

And therein lies the issue.
You're planning way too far ahead, user.

I can't help it, i want to make 5 games from different genres at once, and i would if i could clone myself.
Im focusing all the development on a single game, but the universe is being built for all of them.

Still looking for a decent 2D engine to work with. I know I ought to not fluff up the concepts too much, but I still need an engine/language to work with. My main concern aside from too much ambition is that Lua is too lightweight to properly get it done. Should I try a spin with Game Maker or stick with Lua/LOVE for now?

I don't think there's anything that you can't do with Lua that you can with GMS, or vice versa. It'll just be different.
Stick with Lua if you know it for now.

I don't know it just yet, I'm trying to learn.

In that case, GMS is easier to learn and will suffice for what you're making, most likely, but Lua's more versatile, used by other programs as well.
Pros and cons, user, you gotta weigh them.

And I'm having trouble with that which is why I came to AGDG. You guys know how to help people out.

See, that's where the issues stem from, user.
Everyone will give you a different answer.
I'm sure there's an user that will screech at you for not making your own engine from the ground up.

Personally? GMS suffices pretty well for me, and it's easy enough to learn, since anything you'll ever need is already documented somewhere. I'd say try that out, and if you run into an issue that you can't overcome, go try Lua, then.

You certainly have a lot of lore to read. Interesting to say the least, but exactly what part of it is the point of the game you intend to make?

Lua is easy to learn, if you're familiar with any other interpreted language you won't have problems picking it up.
The way it handles tables is shit, though.

It depends a lot on the way your mind works. As far as I understand Löve doesn't have a UI, you'll have to build and manage everything through code. This is a big problem for some people, and it can get overwhelming if your game has a lot of stuff of complex maps or something in it. Gamemaker will provide a way to visualize all your scripts and assets and game worlds and connect things together in a more cohesive way.

Personally I love to work the code way because I have full control, but I realize that many people can't wrap their heads around it or just don't like it.

If you think Lua can't handle your game, then you're either too ambitious or don't understand how these things perform. I've seen MMOs made in javascript of all things and the language sure didn't stop them.

you will never ever make a game

prove it!!!

Perhaps I misspoke. I'm sure it is possible with Lua, but I am not sure how close to our vision it will provide. We sure as shit aren't gonna use java, but I see the point you make. The project head's main focus is to keep it simple enough that a small handful of people can handle this.

Here's your (You).

I've been told that by everyone in my life who ever heard of me wanting to.
Frankly, user, the only reason I haven't killed myself is to prove them all wrong.
Here's your (you), though.

I will prove you wrong, you cunt
Are you trying to motivate me user? No need for that, IM ALWAYS MOTIVATED

Kowloon is a multi-step plan, nigger.

I'm going to get around to getting into sketching so I can start making sketches to put in the design documents I every now and then get the urge to create/add on to~! :3

Don't sell your work for the lowest amount possible, sell it for how much it is worth.
Also putting it out for 1$ will make people ignore it because they will be expecing a super shitty chinese "game" that people buy for the steam cards.

That's the joke . It'll be like 10$.

10~15 is a good range

I wouldn't buy it for 15$ so it'll be 10$. I'm a bit of a kike when it comes to not pirating.

Java and Javascript aren't the same thing. Perhaps you should have even a basic understanding of a language before you dismiss it.

they are similar enough that we don't want to work with either.

There are many language features in Lua that GML just doesn't have. Tuples for one example. Also you can compile Lua into executable code with LuaJIT so it runs way faster that GML, Javascript, Python, Perl, etc.

Stick with Lua/LOVE2D.

Lua is not a perfect language, it's meant for a specific domain of problem (embedded scripting lang). Fortunately that's what you need. Unless you are trying to make a hugely complex system (Entire World Simulator 2017) LOVE will be fine with it. GML would be even worse. If you are making Planet Wide Grass Simulator then you'll have to make your own custom engine. Good news is: If you used Lua then your new engine can provide bindings to Lua and all your existing game code will still work in the new engine.

The engine around Lua would be the limiting factor, not Lua itself. The good thing about Lua is that if you need a beefier engine you can embed Lua into a more powerful engine and reuse your Lua code, move it between engines.

There's one project putting Lua into Doom2. Another has Lua in Ogre3D. WoW uses Lua for its UI scripting. If you're worried about running into engine barriers then go with a portable scripting language like Lua, Javascript, etc. (V8 is not hard to embed in an engine).

Love2D is just one engine with Lua embedded. Most of your work with Love2D will be Lua code and graphics assets. My point is that those are portable if you outgrow Love2D you won't have to scrap your project.

That said, if it's your first game then no matter what language you pick your code is going to be shit, and later you'll learn that you should have done things differently. You'll want to rewrite the code 1/4 way through, and 1/2 way through, and 3/4th way. But you shouldn’t do that unless things are very bad. Only rewrite necessary parts. Make a list of features and stick to them, any new features you come up with try to stick in a To Do List for a future version of the game.

I would highly suggest that you at least make pong first in Lua/LOVE to familiarize yourself with it before making whatever your game is. Pic related is relevant once again.

Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind.

Give us some details on what you mean by ambition. LuaJIT is very fast for an interpreted language and should be plenty fast enough for most 2D projects that are feasible for solo devs.

Metroidvania style, with some "RPG elements", such as equip-able armor and weapons, and a few variations on play styles.

Should I even further elaborate? I feel like if I do I'll go into a rambling post about the lore and gameplay mechanics, which I don't want to do.

I'm 99% sure you're overestimating the demands this game has if equipping items is something even worth mentioning.

do it fagget

This is our first project, so that is a very real possibility.

That shouldn't be any problem at all. The advice in is good too. Practice with some very basic game types if you're new to programming and to learn love's APIs and remember to focus on making a fun prototype of core gameplay before overwhelming yourself with systems.

I think I already said this in another thread, but your issue will be lack of gamedev experience far before any possible limitations of the language. Lua is perfectly capable of doing what you want, but your issue will be whether you can program it.

tl;dr just make your game and see how far you get.

I believe you did, and thank you for the advice, that's what I'm here for. It's not MY game necessarily, but I am a large part of the driving force keeping it alive, but that's beside the point.

God damn it how do I stop doing this.

I don't have the patience for basic shit breaking while I'm still a novice. Any other good C# game engines? Options seem sort of limited. Off the top of my head I can think of:
Monogame(seems to be exclusively/mostly 2D and I want to move onto 3D fairly quickly)
Godot(3D is currently shit)
And Banshee engine, which is sadly very pre-alpha and wont even be beta until late this year at the earliest. Found it on **the gamedev plebbit* and I think it looks promising enough github.com/bearishsun/bansheeengine
I'll suffer through Unity if I have to, but if anons know any other alternatives help a guy out

Don't feel ashamed of it user, shitting on Fluka Gaylee is a mandatory exercise needed to guard the truths of the universe from those who would taint them. It is an extraordinarily important task, we must never allow anyone to think that shit is okay. You did not waste your time NAY, you fulfilled your duty.
Until tomorrow when it needs to be shat on for an hour.

Closing browser tabs and/or the browser itself and games and everything is no joke something everyone should try, especially if you have this routine where you open the browser and Holla Forums and shit as soon as you open the computer and then keep them on the side all day.

I've found that even when I want to dev it can be difficult to do it when I'm also staring at Holla Forums, but closing the browser then makes me quickly switch to my text editor because there's nothing else for my brain to focus on.

It helps me try and remember what I need to do.
One review of YL stated that he wanted to feel like he was making a difference in the world, citing examples of you helping NPCs in the game, and them then proceeding to just stand there, nothing different about them.

That's something that I must keep in mind. Certainly, you're making a difference in the lives of those people, but I need to SHOW it as well as state it.

That's no longer an issue for me.
I don't enjoy video games anymore. The whole industry is dead. I liked Kirby, I guess, and Animal Crossing was comfy for a while, but very little excites me anymore, and it's usually overwhelming still.

I know that feeling. Though talking about my project here lets me keep my mind in the game.

i dont think godot currently has c# support andi think it will be added in the new update that is supposed to make 3d not shit.
you could use unreal ue4 engine :^)

I open the browser, check Holla Forums, check gmail, check twatter and minds.com
Then open youtube, close everything else, look for one of these "relaxing vidya music for 1 hour videos" and start woking
When i finish something important i reward myself with a bit of Holla Forums, then go back to work

You can get a pre-release build that has the C# support in it. I don't know if that version will fix 3D being shit or not yet

user you can't make vidya if you don't love vidya
Well, you can, but the result is the shit AAA studios release every year

I love vidya, there's just very few vidya out there that's good. At least modern games. Backlogs are nice, though.

I'd hate to be on a team with such little understanding

Fez was made with Monogame, and it's technically a 3D game. There's no reason you can't use it for 3D, most of the people who make games with it just happen to be indies who can't into non-pixelart-2D.

Well, like I said, this is our first time making a game, so some rookie mistakes are inevitable.

Music's important to me, I can't really focus without something in the background. For gamedev my preference is hour-long Eurobeat mixes

I never recovered

Think long term. If something isn't gonna help you gain insight or develop your game, it's probably best to avoid it.

It's also why I always have an excuse to watch a western movie.

My routine is top secret proprietary idea, do not steal. However, here is my source of infinite vidya music:
rainwave.cc

Mostly I listen to the vidya remixes since I heard so much vidya music that it's very memorized.
ocr.rainwave.cc/
chiptune.rainwave.cc/
^- These both usually have info links with downloads. The info pages are THE BEST THING EVER.

> "Hey, I'm making a game, and would you like to find out what we'll do on the bed =3 ?

There are other places, but mostly these musicmen are very comfy to chill for.

Also:
> NO, YOU BETRAYED ME, SLUT!

I never switch off my pc, just my monitors, so when I wake up, my conversation maps are still on, right in front of me, across my left monitor. I also keep a coffee maker right next to my bed, so I can get back to work fairly quickly.

I listen to podcasts a lot, but when I run out of those, I have Shoji Meguro, Yoko Shimomura, a bit of Koji Kondo and pretty much every single Kirby soundtrack ever made.

Jokes on you, I already finished one.

I can't listen to anything with people talking if i want to write either lore or code, i get distracted and keep paying attention to the conversation instead of the work.
But it is fine if im making placeholder art, 3D models or icons instead

U niggers R gay

Yeah totally the same, guize

XNA (and Monogame) were built from thr ground up to support 3D? Even then all the heavy lifting is done by language neutral OpenGL or directX shaders

the only thing javascript has in common with java is the name

YOU GUYYYS

Also the only good thing to come out of JS is JSON

It was 13 when I made it.
I guess new threads got deleted, then, but it was definitely 13.

No I'm just saying in the span of like 2 hours, it went a from a dead thread on 12 to a new thread with a gorillion posts

That usually happens, actually.
People get into curious discussions about stuff in the beginning of the new thread, get tired of it, go back to work on their game and then discuss further progress in the next thread.

I'm one of the few autists that's always around because these generals are the only place that doesn't hate me

I'm one of the few autists that's always around because I don't have the energy to work on my own projects aside from my programming job, but I want to help others whenever I can. I do switch between 3 different locations a lot though, so I probably look like multiple autists.

I tend to open the browser and listen to those future funk and chill study music compilations, forget to dev and study for two hours, pass out and damage my neck, wake up, procrastinate on Holla Forums, and then finally make half a building before bed.

Conversation mapping is fucking obnoxious, honestly. I'm not very good at writing, it takes ages to do anything, I have so many trees left to complete. It's annoying.

It's why I often just get tired of it, and go write a song or whatever.
The issue is that I can't do graphics or any more coding until I have all the characters written.

link you fag

Fuck off, prick, we are gonna bully you until you post moar progress.

When I get home I'll post it, wait for me, cunt.

N-nothing interesting to post, s-sir…

You're here to motivate us aren't you?

This tbh. Being in the right state of mind helps a lot. Music is a really good way to do this, since music affects you emotionally. For example lofi, futurebass and jazz puts me into comfy workmode.

For the one in the other thread

Autistic wordblob engage.
Spent the last month or so making a UI for a statistics and equipment screen, so that I can start properly equipping shit and seeing how things mesh and interact when equipped together and where problems may lie therein.
The next month or so will be fixing what's broken, adding what's missing, removing what's shit and tweaking the equipment/stats system into something resembling a thing somewhere along the vector towards the state it should someday be in.
Then I gotta make the game mechanics to actually use those equipments/stats in a non-conceptual way. I have an abandoned skeleton of old game mechanics to build it around, from about a year ago when I decided my shit was boring and radically increased the interaction complexity of everything to near-dwarf-autist levels. I should be able to salvage most of those in some way, although I'm teaching myself to program as I go, and I've learned so much in the last year that I'll probably be better off throwing most of it away and remaking it much more efficiently and elegantly. Operative word "more" - it'll still be inefficient and inelegant as fuck by functional human standards.
This shit takes a long time, but at least it sometimes feels like it's actually moving towards some kind of ultimate goal. Be nice to reach that goal before I die from old age, but we can't have everything, can we?
I don't have pictures to post because all you'd see is a dev-art UI with a shitty, wasteful layout and a cross-eyed jumble of meaningless numbers and symbols.

Keep it up, user.

Will do, Jeff.

Oh, thanks user!

Not sure about the player sprite, since they'll have 12 (or 16) frames of animation for moving in each direction. Keys match the doors now, but I need to adjust them both still… Crates look fantastic, though.

Webassembly (and ASM.js) too. Needed because JS is so slow, because it was meant to be a "glue" language. Since web is so dynamic need a glue lang (JavaScript) as an abstraction layer to relay events to Java Applets, and manipulate dom elements at the request of the Applet.

Sage, because here is a history lesson and a hint of the future cross platform gamedev is headed. Excuse if it repeats I pasted most from posts I made to a langdev forum.

Javascript is so shit slow because the heavy lifting was supposed to done by Java and its just in time complier, with isn't half bad, but their VM strategy was a bit dumb.

Applets could have been a lean mean virtual machine, like Lua. No frills, just the opcodes and basic features. That's what Sun did with J2ME, and it was pretty OK. Instead Sun/Java decided to expose the entire enormous API of Java to the web via Applets. That was like a giant fertile land for exploit farmers. Malware abused the shit out of Java because of the pantsu on head decision. So people started disabling Java Applets as a rule, and browser vendors actually block them by default now.

But that left browsers with a huge gaping hole to fill. So we shoved JS in. JS got used because it was available, not good. JS is different from Java. JS is literally retarded, the prototype system is a retarded way to extend OOP after the object was already made – object instances suddenly have methods added after creation. This literally retarded way prevents compiler optimizations. So they stripped everything out and created a subset of JS with syntax only ASM.js. IMO: There is no JS but ASM.js and Webassembly is its prophet.

ASM.js and Webassembly are meant to be compiled, they're a lean mean no frills virtual machine… The competition was Google's NaCL bytecode (a subset of x86 w/ code validation to sandbox), but NaCL wasn't cross platform. Web devs are literally retarded in every way.

Being associated with literally retarded webdev (all of it is) gave Java a bad name, and the name "Javascript" also hurts its reputation. That doesn't mean Java the language itself is shit. Android still uses the Java syntax even but translates into register based bytcode for the Davlik VM, which can then compile most of to machinecode because it matches closely the hardware. The syntax is the language, and it can run on different VMs.

Java's OOP system is pretty good. Proper name spaces & file separation. The C-like (Algo-like) syntax is OK. Java's API is enterprisey AF, but there is an official API for nearly everything you would ever want to do (except decent 3D graphics and physics, but there are bindings for libs to provide those, and there's JNI if shit MUST be fast at the sacrifice of not being totally cross platform).

Java is comparable to C# in terms of performance. And the PC version of the Android system is interesting, since it runs faster than Java VM, and provides OpenGL ES. So, you can take an Android app and bundle it with Android to turn into a stand alone cross platform Lin / Win / Mac desktop executable without changing your code. That's experimental. Better to have different classes for desktop vs mobile rendering if x-plat is your thing.

However: Oracle a shit. #1 reason I don't use Java is because that spreads Oracle cancer. Oracle has now won a ruling claiming that APIs are copyrightable. Even using any header files to provide compatibility / bindings with Java can (and has in the case of Android) result in a lawsuit from Oracle. The future of Java is now questionable since Oracle only wanted to destroy MySQL (their competition) but got Java too when they bought Sun. This outcome has put off a LOT of langdevs.

Languages that have open standards like C / C++, etc. are best from a legal standpoint. Standards bodies ensure that you won't get sued for using the language. Java does not have an international standard and neither does C#. Hilariously, Javascript DOES have an international ECMAScript standard. Webassembly will have one too.

I'm deving in C to hedge my bets for future engine deployment. Any lang can compile to Webassembly. C has the greatest performance out of the languages you can compile for the web. I write webdev in C now too compile as ASM.js. I can already compile my C project into ASM.js or Webassembly and run it right in the browser, open it on mobile too. With FF browser experimental it runs smooth because ASM.js compiler. There are C+SDL games you can compile and run in the browser. That means you can also run them stand alone too though.

TL;DR: Procrastinate long enough and your browser will become the game engine – unless MS fucks shit up like they did for a decade with HTML/JS. JS is OK for little games but audio sucks, Java's OK for games, just has hoops to leap for graphics API unless you use just Java2D.

vid related is just one of the random JS demoscene WebGL demos I had open for some reason.

Jesus christ how horrible

a.uguu.se/zo8EalHnM6AN_gs3d.7z
4th level, new weapon and new sprite for rocket lawn chair done. Almost 50% done now until I have to redo everything because level design is shit.

Who did they win this against? I thought they had lost a similar suit against jewgle in the past few years. Aren't APIs still noncopyrightable in europe?

Good to see Holla Forums finally making their own games.

I really want to have rubbing hands as ultimate BFG style weapon but my art skills are too lacking for that.

send help

>gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/45690/why-cant-i-compare-two-texture2ds

This isn't what I wanted but this nigga is comparing textures on every tile to see where the player is. My god

And I thought my fucking code was inefficient and shit, jesus christ.

You know, anyone here is probably miles ahead of any other gamedev forum in terms of code quality. I mean, aside from those crazy 1MA types that make shit like Overgrowth or what not.

Even Yandev is probably better than a pajeet, but a little common sense goes a long way.

This is some new level of poo in the loo

And won that case on Appeal. The based Judge from the lower court was right to deny the claim, he even learned Java and implemented the RangeCheck function himself… The 5th circuit court of appeals is CIA cancer.

The higher court decided not to take the case. APIs are copyrightable in the US and by Berne convention, this has teeth far and wide. One good reason coders like that TPP and TTIP should be cut down.

This is just another chapter in a proprietary dev war vs FLOSS using copyright as a weapon. Sage for Holla Forumsgraming.

Overgrowth is made by a 4MA though.

Is this passable as dirt? Mine on left, example on right

No wait hold on, I added some fluff and here's how it looks tiled

Too obviously tiled. Try drawing shapes along the borders of the tile first, then fill the middle. Most image editors have a wrap/tile mode and it'll help you break the shape up better.

Consider drawing it in Krita or something that supports tiled mode drawing.

It doesn't tile well at all yet, there's a very obvious cross of light brown between all the tiles. Use an editor with tiling capabilities, I think Krita has that, or Asepriteif you want a more specific tool (it's free if you compile it yourself from github.com/aseprite/aseprite ).

After taking the advice of and take a look at this
github.com/mxgmn/SynTex

I don't have much to show for it, yet, but I spent a lot of time working on a generic system to load/unload objects when the player goes too far away and then applies the 'time' they've missed to them. This was initially for farming, but it's generic enough to where I could probably apply it to animals and the like.

It works recursively, so it'd only iterate through the base objects location (such as a beach), and then each base object would generate their children, and so on.

Basically, the data for each object is stored in a separate class (Everything else can be regenerated from it) and kept in memory even when the gameplay object is destroyed.

Everything is serialize, too, for when I add saving and loading. Pic related.

Also…

That was automatic tool, so it still has too much pattern to it.

pic related is how to do seamless tiles in GIMP.

Some other editors have dedicated editing mode for tiles. Just using this as an example to add to my how-to-agdg folder.

Another example of why you shouldn't use GIMP now that Krita exists.

I spent about two days just on reordering my sprite sheets to be organized better and changing the scripting so the sprites are still shown. Absolutely no gameplay has changed. This doesn't really feel like a payoff yet.

Every bit of progress is worth celebrating

Krita can't run the Photoshop plugins that Gimp can…

I would have used Krita, but can't install it on the firewall router machine I'm VNCing into to… to get past its firewall… kek.

Also, does vid related now mean that Krita shouldn't be used because Blender exists?

Krita fills the same purpose as GIMP does (raster graphics editor), but does many things better and has much more active development.

That's why it pains me when people use GIMP, especially when they complain about it or do absurdly unintuitive stuff like this

I think I finally got Unreal and Blender to play nice when it comes to importing/exporting rigs and animations

Nice

How do I get into gaydev?

You make a gayme

a fundamental principle of computer science is that if you can write a program in one language, you can write it in another language.
yes, some libraries and engines are easier to use than other, but you should go with what you know, and maybe learn other languages on the side.
Lua is fine, it's not 'lightweight', it's slower than C++ but for what you're doing it's very unlikely that will be an issue. Just do it, user

I was being serious. I mostly just want to expand my skills, I want to learn how to program but I got no idea where to start.

Which is more important
Learning to program, or making a game?

C# is a good language to learn, easy to use and useful for gamedev, specially if you want to use Unity

Program.

Isn't that wangblows only? And I don't want to use Unity.

Then I'd recommend that you don't use any engine. Make your own, start from scratch.

I don't actually know anything to point towards that'll teach you how though, personally I kinda learned just by googling random shit until I ended up in a codecademy tutorial and learned javascript, and then googling more random shit.

You have a lot of stuff to learn

Fuck, you guys started a thread without me… this explains why I was talking to myself in the last thread.

do not learn C-hashtag to learn programming
learn regular C. write console programs first. Then when you want to "graduate" to real games use legacy fixed-function openGL (This is a lot more useful than just using SDL and trying to transition to modern openGL later)

make a shitty pong game in openGL after you go through "The C programming language" and can do the exercises

D E S E G N A T E D

Where do furries take all this dosh from?

Fucking wew

Stuff like this makes me wish I had less self-respect and much lower standards so I could milk degenerates like this.

So what's the consensus around here about half-chan's /agdg/?

Imagine the money you could make by making a furry game that ISN'T shit.

Overrun by attention deprived nodev shitters.

They have jobs.

I've never been to half-chan's /agdg/

Too fast, too many nigger worshippers.

I never noticed

Don't listen to this retard if you ever want to end up making an actual game.

Start with some basic C# tutorials and move onto unity when you want to do more complex stuff.

Making a game engine is a significantly better way to learn programming than using C# in Unity.

I gonna kill this image when i remake that cooking system
I will redo all that shit and post the best code you ever saw

Damnit.

While I agree with you for beginners, I'd still say Gimp is FAR superior to Krita.
There are so many Gimp plugins the stock Gimp just doesn't come with them. You want to do certain graphic editing tricks Gimp's philosophy is: "We provided you a graphics editing Engine! Download or write a write a simple script, WTF are you doing asking for specific features? Almost anything that exists in Photoshop we have it too."

It's a klunky interface, but I edit an image in fullscreen mode, with tools on a second screen.

I have had a script for Gimp that creates the tiled editing mode for Gimp, since long before Krita existed. It started as a Photoshop plugin. As I said, Gimp can run Photoshop plugins…

IMO, people bitching about scrip capable image editors that can run Photoshop plugins are idiots or just nodevs unwilling to learn how to use their tools.

Krita will get better as it gets more plugin features. There are still some parts of the image processing pipeline that Krita does not expose which Gimp does. There is literally nothing I can do in Krita that I can't do in Gimp. The inverse is not true.

Krita is great if you're just starting out with pixel arts. If you have been doing graphic art for a while, then you'll probably use (pirate) Photoshop. Or if you're on a FLOSS OS, Gimp.

sage for stupid nodev BS "muh imugh ebitor" wars.

There's no clean way to use a fixed palette in Photoshop.

I mean, you can use a color-indexed image setting, but then you're limited to one layer, which is retarded, and only 256 colors. But this is the only way to constrain colors in real time.

You could use the color swatches too, but they're impossible to rearrange or sort in any meaningful way, and god forbid you want to build your own set, the interface for it is awful.

I'm certain any number of pixel art specific programs correct this.

furfags vote with their wallets and it shows

its maybe a funny name, you are deriving a lot out of this. That is how I read it in my head every time, because they used a hashtag in the name of the language.

if you can make even half of an engine, using a real engine will be much more productive.

the question here was about learning, not just like making games. if you write C# or use other engines then you do not learn as fast.
Premade engines and C# are not able to teach you things because they are tools for scripting together other tools. Not things that force you to be competent at programming, which is the real value of working on things like an engine.

No, just a massive waste of time if you actually want to end up making something. You learn way more from following youtube tut's.

I will still post it though. Though more as a warning. It's fun to see you're back.

I can see how some esoteric plugins could give features that other programs don't have and fill the gaps, but at the same time I kinda feel like it's a "skyrim is a great game because mods can fix it" argument.

I moved from PS to Krita for personal use a while ago, and I use PS as a job. I suppose any program could potentially be good enough depending on how you work and what specifically you do.

I really don't think Unity tutorials from youtube are a good way to learn programming, which he said was more important than making a game.

I never left, look

It's nice to be back to coding.
Bullets used to kill the momentum of the character in the air but now they don't, so now I can wall run while deflecting bullets, rather than before when I would try to wall run, get shot, and stop wall-running. Raycasting saves my life yet again.
I also added a stamina bar and moved health from being AddOnScreenDebugMessage to a health bar. When stamina has run out the player can still deflect bullets, but they take half damage rather than no damage.
Currently I'm creating a general "player item" so I can wield more than just the Katana. It will also make creating new items a lot easier and keep the code in my player controller cleaner and shorter. So it's good stuff all around.

this, you will just be a java codemonkey if you use C#, which will make your growth stunted since there are no challenges that will test you and make you grow

Okay then, where do I start? "Just like learn program??" isn't particularly good advice and the one person I know who knows a bit about this stuff said the exact same. I found The C Programming Language on the internet and I'll try to read it I don't really like books though.
Others told me C++ is better and newer or something.

You can set any number of layers to indexed mode in Gimp with a specific palette. I don't usually go into specifics, but it sounds like you're misinformed, or don't know what these image editing engines can do.

I create a smart object (Photoshop also has these) which clones the output layer and applies indexed mode to it in real time. This allows me to use all the cool tools to edit with as if I'm editing a true color image (because I am), but I watch the output change in real time. I can even use an "input pass through" layer to edit directly on the true color image (but it's useful to be able to see both most times).

If I pick a color from a swatch (which I have hotkeys for) and paint with it, it ends up that color because that color is in the indexed image smart object. If I paint with a gradient, I might wind up with a classic dithered effect on the smart object (or not if I turned off the dithering kernel layer).

This means I'm usually looking at two images, the pixel art and the true color input to get that pixel art. Oops, I just realized I need a 2nd red palette entry. Shit, I'm going to have to re-art everything if I used Krita like you do. With my editing pipeline, I just switch up my palette entries, maybe get rid of the 3rd level of blue, and not worry much, since the indexed modes will be reapplied based on the higher color resolution input.

Ah, but what about all those hundreds of sprite frames in my project folder? I hit my "batch process" button select the folder or files, and wait a few seconds for it to re-apply the indexed mode to the 32bit sources using the new palette. I'll then have to go through and make sure there's no shitty issues in the pixel art, but that's true even without my editing pipeline. Of course if I just need to adjust levels of one index in the palette I can do that too by editing the external palette file.

Now, I can also apply FUCKING INSANE rendering rules to this smart object. We have presets for most platforms even ones gamedevs don't use, such as the various Commodore 64 vid modes, where only certain N-pixels can be certain colors in certain rows, and then I can output that image for C64. I can even apply bitmask tricks which emulate the way the demo's code will work on the C64 and show me how it will really look when I run the image in my demo with palette animations and 3D mask shapes, etc. I can select a (S)NES mode and I have a script from the demoscene to try and quantize the colors to match (S)NES palete restrictions. There are other plugins for various machines. Just touch up where needed.

You have full control over the editing pipeline in Gimp and Photoshop. You're basically just complaining about your own workflow… If Krita fits your workflow, then great. But it makes you sound rather silly when you critisize shit like Gimp and Photoshop which are god-teir beasts when it comes to editing indexed imagery…

Everyone I know in graphics arts has their own custom workflow. Their setup has custom scripts and tools etc, which contribute to their style. Some are very protective of their workflow and won't even tell you about the magic of their setup because it's what gives them a competitive edge.

Creating an flexible asset pipeline is not for beginners, I agree. Creating a custom workflow for your target engine and device is a major pain, but you only have to do it once, then add to it over time. The trick is starting out with a graphics tool that supports customization so that you can develop a workflow. If you want to be able to bank on the existing established history of the graphics industry then Photoshop or Gimp is where it's at. Krita has scripting too, so good on you if you want to start with that as a base and reinvent your wheels, but seriously lay off the hate for things you unfamiliar with using. You could be discouraging someone from learning how to use a powerful tool that fits their needs better in the long run.

This is the progress I have made on my game, I can now edit cvars with console arguments.

The C Programming Language is a great resource, if you can take the time to get it. You should set small goals that are just outside of what you can achieve and this will get you places. What I would literally do this instant is this:

Download Pelles C IDE, this is a great starting point since you now can write C programs. Make a new project for "Console Program". It should give you a thing you can type into and the "hello world" program. You can press f5 or click the red exclamation point to run the program.

Then, get to the first chapter of "The C programming language" and start working your way though it. You should have the hello world program from the first pages, and as you go through the book, it will have little questions and exercises to do at the end of each chapter. You'll now be writing programs at this point, so this should help you get a better idea of where you're headed.

Pelles C:
smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/

C++ is newer and you can learn it, sure, but it will be more forgiving, and you wont be forced to learn important things immediately.

This is a nice book, but its more advanced, so you could look at it after "The C programming language":
icube-icps.unistra.fr/img_auth.php/d/db/ModernC.pdf

I use Photoshop
Where did I say I use Krita?

My bad. I thought you were the one who replied earlier about Krita and ragged on Gimp/photoshop for not having simple shit plugins exist for.

Why the Pelles C IDE exactly? Aren't there others or does that just happen to be your favorite?

Fair enough.

I don't like to rely on plugins, just the same, because of shit like compatibility or being able to find it again. I like shit just working the way I want it to, out of the box.

For example, the Carapace perspective tool by Epic Games is no longer available on their website! I luckily had a copy saved on a dropbox that I was able to share with a friend

At the college I attend, the game design students took over the common lounge everyday to hook their systems up. Maintenance eventually had to rip up the carpet and get rid of all of the fabric in the room because the smell could not be removed.

Pelles C just happens to be my favorite. There are loads of others and none of them will hold you back. I mostly recommended it because the installer is only 9 MB, and its pretty simple to use, compared to more popular heavyweight software like Visual Studio, which takes up gigabytes of space. (i.e. more time that you spend installing software, and not programming) The actual technical merits of different C IDE's are not important for a beginner.

C is going to be basically the same thing whether you use Visual C, Watcom C, Pelles C, GNU C, whatever.

BTW, the code in that picture was really, really broken… I shouldn't take pictures of code that I am not done writing…

This picture is the function with all of the errors fixed.

Well here's how my dirt looks now versus the game I'm stealing from inspired by

I'm okay with it not tiling, since it's a tile-based puzzle game, it's important to be able to quickly estimate how many tiles things are apart.

What really needs to be fixed is my palette, because it looks too washed out, and if I change it slightly, it looks way too saturated and awful

Most folks in the scene are data hoarders. Some are prepared for even the internet to disappear. That is how it's always been for us since BBS days, so I'm kind of used to everything winking out of existence. The web could just go down permanently tomorrow and I'd still be hanging out online joking with friends about it. Also: packet radio over HAM / repeater nets. Thank gods storage is cheap. One guy had a house fire and couldn't replace his setup since he never shared code or executables, and didn't backup in 3 places (as is required for data to actually "exist", IMO). ConGo C64 photoshop plugin is missing now, site's down. Some in the scene use it. Fortunately there's a local dial up node for shadow net of such things…

At the last demo party I helped someone setup a script to have xnview show & convert to C64 animations they saved out from OpenToonz (which was used by Studio Ghibli - in a form they customized, as usual, then some of their customizations made it out to OpenToonz [which is hardly ever done], so props to them).
opentoonz.github.io/e/
xnview.com/en/
The pipeline is for creation of custom hand drawn animations using C64 (which sort of rare in the scene). They'll also use it with other parameters for PC intros and game stuff.

General purpose editor tools that perfectly fit a specific media domain are rare. Where I'm from it's just accepted that nothing will work the way you need it to out of the box.

-t. Pajeet

ok, kid

nothing personsell,,, kid

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be up on knowyourmeme in a few weeks if it was anything notable

First weekly friday report is online, if anyone is curious if im actually working on something other than posting walls of lore, check it out.

fablesoflaetus.com/

it was all over Holla Forums in 2014 one month, like for a whole month or something everybody would just reply with "ok kid" just all the time, it was everywhere

They should have bottled the odor. Hipsters would pay for "Retro Creators' Musk" if you market it correctly.

The cost to my soul would be too great. Can't enjoy mad dosh if you're Yiffing in Hell like a furfag.

Has more artfags, but is incredibly cancerous as normalfags found it.

I'm not saying it's bad to leave your job to make games, it's just the game you decidd to leave your job to make.

God luck fam.

Pretty much this. Still, you have to start somewhere. I started with Apple BASIC and graduated to Z80 Assembler… then C when I could finally afford a compiler.

Why would you think it is a bad idea?
It is much safer than almost every indie game out there, since people seem to love making shooters, platformers and puzzle games in general
The only other game in the niche of PC farmsims is Stardew Valley, and look how much that game sold.
My game will surpass it in gameplay depth and be sold at the same price, how is this not the recipe to success?

Just save some cash for a bit of "guerilla marketing" to meme it up on leddit, facebag, imagurl, etc.

Also # screeshotSaturday it but only when you start getting close to release. Say some dumb shit alluding to representing the struggle of the oppressed, to get the indie clique sock-juice to post an article about it.

If you have enough dosh make a trip to the indoctrination camp IGDA & PAX, survive their PC pandering BS is how you get an in.

It all depends, how much you're willing to put up with to make a profit. You can always take a part time job just to supplement if things start looking like they'll take longer.

P.S. you really MUST Read about:
The Planning Fallacy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planning_fallacy
Every software dev should know about this.
TL;DR: It has been observed in software dev, and empirically proven in studies that software projects take longer than you expect, by a significant margin.

You should create a schedule for when features must be complete to release on time, so you can see if you're going off track (if you win the luck lottery and are under budget then you can add more to the game).

That's assuming your art style good enough to attract the normalfags / hipsters and you're just plain lucky enough. Shit like banished and stardew valley managed to do well because they got hyped to hell and back so when they finally came out it snowballed a bit. If you can't get similar hype or whatever, word of mouth will only get you so far, though of course if you're only doing it by yourself then the difference between success and failure will be a lot smaller because you'll much smaller costs.

But that's wrong. Stardew valley was a commerical failure before a post-launch "EVIL PIRATES RUINED THIS GAME" campaign

I don't think your plan is that good, nothing i've seen jumps out on me, all I can say is good luck, because that's the only thing it has going for it, and yeah I think Stardew Valley is shit but it does have competition, it's competition is just that much worse, you're also taking up a big project in comparison, I remember Stardew Valley took fucking ages and was made in 2d.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, follow your dreams man, I just think that quitting your job was kind of rash, that's all.

I'm working on my own project that is also overly ambitious, but I've had years of modding practice, I remember you were learning how to 3d months ago

p-pls respond

Is there a game that uses the cube2 engine that behaves itself more like a tacticool shooter than arena shooter?

was it? Shit i thought that shit sold like 200k right off the bat.

Also how the fuck can you have a commercial failure if you're only 1 guy? I'm sure he would've sold like 10k at least which is not brilliant but it's far more than most indie's sell.

Oh user, you are so silly, don't you know triggering snowflakes and getting them to attack you is MUCH better than licking their balls? If you read what i posted so far in the Elf/Orc lore that is not just fun stuff, its also filled with triggering landmines for snowflakes.
I have already split the main game in 3 parts, the first one being the bare minimum to be a decent game, and the other 2 will be released as free expasions, this way i can do the release faster and add everything else i have planned later as free updates. I know software projects go to shit often, i work as a codemonkey on my horrid dayjob, which luckly im dropping.

I do have social media accounts, and im going to be sending free copies to youtubers. From there it will spread, there is demand in the market for this kind of game, and im going to supply it.
Every mechanic in the game, even the super deep ones like the cooking system will be usable by normalfags while giving players who like to challenge themselves something to minmax, im designing my systems like this: easy to beat, hard to master.

Stardew was made by one guy and took just 3 years, it sold millions user, what the fuck are you talking about?

I tried adding source engine dev textures into Max Payne

Results are a bit limited though. Engine is really hard to actually edit in and it's taking me a while to figure out. It's doubly disappointing since nobody makes shit in this game anymore which is a shame since if I want help with something I have to use archive.org to figure it out.

Yeah, it was supposed to be tongue in cheek. I imagine presenting your game at PAX would get you kicked out of PAX permanently. Of coursh triggering would be the outcome… I mean, Sex Slave Rancher, heh. I hate to say this, but have you heard about pizzagate? Just show some hotdogs and pizza prominently. Then report yourself to pizzagaters and you get a shit load of free eyeballs, screeching about you. I feel shitty for saying this because evil does lurk in high places, but a good deal of those "researchers" are going overboard paranoid claiming ice cream and cereal is promoting CP, and "fruit of the loom" underwear is promoting cannibalism (eating "fruit of the womb"), etc. A lot of triggered normalfags too easy to troll.

Might not be a good idea to have a shit load of tinfoil autists REEEing at you, but there's much energy to redirect in any such sensationalism. My point is to keep a watch out for the next big shitstorm for outrage harvesting opportunities near release.

Journos are starting to learn not to mention triggering stuff at all. You can get them to look your way first by pretend pandering. Nothing drives controversy on both sides like insisting your content is pro-SJ while the content actually isn't. Cognitive dissonance is fuel for the flamewar. Some Journos won't even check the content of crap they promote, thus making a time delay triggering even worse when they realize they've been had. You can even ghost write a positive review from the pro-SJ view (even if it's 100% BS), to get the ball rolling.

I don't actually advocate such trolling, do so at your own risk, but that's marketing 101 in this age of the outrage industry. Outright triggering and claiming "the SJs are after me!" worked for Hatred and Hunniepop, but they're starting to wise up about "don't feed the trolls".

Nice. I have more faith after hearing this. If you had been a store manager or some unrelated job just learning to code then it would be far more crazy.

I was pretty fucking clear with what I said. Stardew valley selling millions of copies doesn't contradict it initially being a failure as all.

Didn't someone make a meme post about your cooking code?

Was Starjew Valley actually initially a failure? I'm going to need a source on this because I saw a lot of coverage for that game.

I heard nothing but hope and good things for Stardew Valley, and by all accounts it delivered. What the fuck are you on about?

I was pretty fucking clear with what I said.

scroll up
my cooking system did nothing wrong

The pizzagate guys have a noble cause, i wouldn't mock them Podesta is a pedo and Bill Clinton is a rapist, no mystery here
I despise social justice and communism, and there is enough there to be mocked, i don't need to generate outrage besides that.
Also i don't want to sell my game on outrage, this is the work of passion, i love the universe im creating, and im not doing this for a quick buck, my game will sell on its quality, if i use outrage will only be to put it on people's radar.

There you have it.
russiandog.bitballoon.com/

I know what they are, but these feel like funny names

Is finished… I hope, well, I can sculpt this one and add some other stuff needed but I hope this is the base for my figures from now on.

Did someone say moux?

What a dirty slut. Just look at those forearms!

What is it about the forearms?

I commend you for your work. Max Payne is great, I'd love more levels for it.

sounds french

Well…

The ring at the elbow closet to the hand side should be squeezed in a bit. Not too much so that you make really knobby elbow, but the central elbow ring should be the widest.

And the forearms should be thinner on average than the upper arms.

On a guy you'd certainly want at least 1 more cut for biceps, but a female can get away without them.

Oh, so I widen the central elbow ring and the one on the wrist should be thinner?

Just make the ring next to the elbow, towards the hand, on the upper forearm arm a bit smaller.
Unless she just beats off a lot or gives a lot of hand jobs, that is.

Like this?

This is how it looks with smoothing.

Almost, I meant the ring on the other side of the elbow.
Now the upper arm / biceps are too small. The upper arm should be bigger than the lower arm.

The forearm between the wrist and the elbow should be thinner than the part of the arm from the shoulder to the elbow.

Max Payne is a game I've always wanted to make mods for but always get discouraged since it's really hard to actually do.

Especially maps since almost everything in the game is scripted by hand. Like there's no premade "Door" trigger like in something like Half-Life. You have to script the door to move. The same with the AI. If you just spawn an enemy he won't even know he's supposed to fire at you unless you script him to. Most of the actual documentation on the subject doesn't even tell you how to do most of it.

However it does allow for a huge amount of flexibility with the overall design of the game. Like almost every object in the game was scripted by hand. Vending machines for example was entirely scripted by hand in the engine, you have to copy these scripts if you want to add one into a custom level. The same with televisions. That sort of thing. It's why Max Payne is such a comfy game since the devs had to be extremely creative with how they designed the levels.

I'll keep plugging away at it right now though. I would love to make a video tutorial series on how to actually make things in this game's engine. Iirc there's only a single video tutorial on Max Payne 2's level editor and the creator only made a first part before giving up.

oh, OK, got confused, will fix and post stuff tomorrow, good night.

What is the modding on this engine like? Do you have the source code? Do you have parts of the source code?

Yeah, in development it probably was a lot easier since the scripts were probably generated from object templates.

There was probably a "level editor format" which had the abstract stuff in it for easy level design.

And that stuff would be used to generate scripts for the level. That would allow you to tweak individual objects if you wanted since each object has its own internal state / logic. All the developer's tools aren't released to the public. This is par for the course unfortunately.

Same thing for Doom. We had to make our own editor tools. The in-house Doom level editor tool remained closed up in id. Duke3D was much better in every respect, even came with Build map editor.

Sounds like your editor needs some new features. If there were more people playing it then you'd probably get them. If the devs had put out proper tools for modding, there would probably still be people buying and playing the game for the mods.

This is why my gamestate is handled entirely by flat POD objects.

Deep cloning sucks. Using an ECS makes it a little less bad as well.

The map editor is fully 3D. I haven't tried making models for it but apparently that's more or less straight forward. Every character uses the same skeleton. The only thing that might be challenging is actually importing/exporting in the right formats since most people used Milkshape in those days.

Max Payne is a very complex game in terms of just how much you can modify. Like the Kung Fu mod for MP1 is testament to just how much the devs let you play around with.

The way you develop for the game is you create a "data" folder in the directory, and then a "database" folder inside of it. It's how the devs originally developed the game was by everyone using this same database. Max Payne is also a comfy game to play mods on since you just compile a .zip-like file called a .mpm that you can give to people and you run it by just putting it into the game's directory and loading it from the in game launcher.

Unfortunately not. It's to the point where I sometimes figure it'd be easier to just mod another game into Max Payne than figure out how to make maps for it. Remedy never released the source code, however given just how much modders were able to mod the game so far I don't think I would even need it.

Most of Remedy's tools were released to the public afaik. The only thing that they didn't release was the source code.

Max Payne 2's level editor was updated compared to the original's and runs a lot more stable. It also has a handful of new features. However I'm a bigger fan of the original game so I'm mostly just trying to stomach it until I get used to it.

There were a ton of fan communities for Max Payne modding back when the game was new. It was actually hugely popular to mod. However all of this history was erased a long time ago due to a lot of these fansites eventually just vanishing. They used to host dozens of mods, discussion forums etc. You can only find some of the evidence these sites existed on archive.org

There used to be this really gigantic site that had a Max Payne section called "Levels 4 You". It also used to be where most people hosted Max Payne mods on. Levels 4 You eventually took down their file server like 5 years ago and you can't download any of the mods that have pages on it. Someone did archive all of the mods from the Max Payne 1 section however I can't remember what the download link for it is. I've thought about re-releasing some of the smaller mods on moddb however most were unfinished and were really amateurishly designed.

Interestingly enough Max Payne was also modded by the staff at this university as a tech demo for studies in fear. They created a custom map where you do things like enter a room with sprites of spiders crawling around it, or a room that's really high up.

I just released my game onto itch.io, and honestly at this point, I'm just glad I got it done. There's a lot of things I learned along the way, and a lot of things I realized I'm not very good at (visual/sound design in particular), but I'm just gonna take this whole thing as a learning experience and try better on my next game (probably with a much better engine lmao).

Here's the game if your interested:
beetosu.itch.io/suggestion-box

Your game is A-OK, but it's very simple and gets very boring after two play throughs.
A distraction at best.

Your logo is cute though

well the fucking multithread matrix determinant calculator finally behaves correctly
i think the issue was that i was dumb and made each que push to the top of the que, but also pop from the top instead of the bottom
so it was a constant switching of either adding new matrices or calculating
now it adds all the matrices first and calculates later
so for a size 9 matrix now it takes about:
25789 ms with 1 thread
11341 ms with 2 threads
8393 ms with 3 threads
4865 ms with 10 threads
20 threads bugged out and didn't finish, i guess that's just my toaster acting up
now i just have to pray that the program doesn't randomly choose to not finish and then document everything
for anyone curious:
pastebin.com/PSY8ZznG
pastebin.com/Pa3ceSsf
pastebin.com/QfQwMWfM

I'm merging old code with new engine code, resolving differences between types and etc. Might actually be faster to rewrite some things from scratch, but it's kind of zen-like repetitious "next error", adjust type, "next error", change format string, etc.

Once upon a time "stdint.h" didn't exist on windows compilers, MS VS still has lacking support… There were some people who wrote a windows version of stdint.h by aliasing the Microsoft types to their assumed corresponding fixed width types.

However, that rubbed me the wrong way. No way should a small lib pull in "windows.h" just to get fixed size types. While writing my own solution I had discovered a bug in Windows. So, I instead created a rosetta.c program which my build system compiles first, then it runs the Rosetta executable before building the rest of the project. This Rosetta stone inspects the system and complier environment its running, on takes a look at how big the different types such as "char" and "int" are (verifies bytes are 8 bit, checks which signedness a bare "char" is [since it could be either unsigned or signed per spec]), and builds a "primitives.h" header which includes fixed width types.

This also allows me to build cross platform printf format strings, and do a few other tricks.

Over the years I've added features to this, and that means porting old code to use the new rosetta is sometimes necessary.

For C++ I had a template system which does something similar. At compile time you can use a recursive template to detect how many bits are in a byte, and provide templates which take a bit width parameter.

That was back in the dark ages of cross platform development. Every once in a while I'll add a new feature, expanding my cross platform

It sucks. I know the feeling. Even serialization libs can be quite dumb because they don't know what's actually needed to reconstruct your object. I had to fix a "performance issue" in one product where Pajeet had a serializer lib try to serialize a network aware object. The way the object was made was to seem like a regular readable value which invisibly fetched current state over the network when it was used. So the serializer was waiting on thousands of network reads for no fucking reason, and the the de-serialization was providing the wrong 'current data' on next load. That was flagged as a separate issue.

Imagine the clever pajeet who created a system where this could open a network stream and cause a fatal error:

size_t total = somestruct.count + anotherstruct.count;

Yep, there are NO plain old data struct types in C++. Structs can do everything a class can do, they're just classes which default to "public". Thanks to C++'s operator overloading, you can never be sure that adding any two values will actually happen. You must be hyper vigilant. Every operation performed on any variable may result in segfault or a file being opened and written to a log (I've seen that cluster fuck too).

I'm sure they thought they were very smart using advanced language features to make everything so "simple" looking and preventing outsiders from catching any pesky exceptions.

that means I need more coffee.

so, got my tanks to stop clipping(it was as easy as using .move()…), made my bullet scene and when I instance it it goes in the direction I'm shooting and moves until it disappears from the screen and then gets destroyed….. the problem is they are coming from the same place all the time, I made a position object as a child for tank, and as child element positions are relative to their parent position I thought their position would change when I moved the tank, but it seems this isn't the case as every bullet appears from the same spot

func fire(): var bullet_holder = get_node("bullet_holder") var rotation = get_node("tank").get_rot() var bullet_direction = Vector2(sin(rotation), cos(rotation)) var position = get_node("tank/position").get_pos() var shooting = load("res://Scenes/bullets.tscn") var shot = shooting.instance() shot.initiate(bullet_direction, bullet_speed) #I haven't found a way to pass the parameters at the moment of instancing the scene, so I settled with this for now shot.set_pos(position) bullet_holder.add_child(shot)

thanks fam

Why would you think this? Does your computer just randomly crash out during regular use? It's far more likely you screwed up your thread pool code and the error has more chance to occur with larger thread loads.

Java has a concurrency API so that Pajeet can into thread pools.
docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/pools.html

If you're just doing it to learn how to make a thread pool that doesn't have synchronization issues, then you still have a ways to go. More threads beyond practical limit shouldn't cause the program to not finish, it should just run slower at that point. If it's just a case of "make this faster with threading", then you should use the standard concurrency API.

FYI: The standard API can be faster than implementing threadpools yourself too because it could be doing low level platform specific things like use a spinlock (atomic CMPXCHNG instruction) and use lockless data structures to improve concurrency rather than making calls to the system's threading libs.

I don't fucking get it, I'm now working with .get_global_pos() and I'm printing the position as i move and nothing seems to be fucked, as i approach the origin it approaches 0, and even though the bullet spawn point does depend on where I am, it is nowhere close to me, I don't understand why it is spawning so far away from me when the position I'm passing it is seemingly correct

Are you setting the bullet as a child of the tank or the world?

You can do it, Kachou!

Is it possible that you are passing absolute coordinates while the bullet is assuming they are relative? (or vice versa) That is what pops up in my head when I think about the same values causing different positions

Fixed, I think.

neither (I thought I had uploaded this pic), if I set it as a child o the tank beside its movement, it will shift where the tank moves, so I created a bullet_holder object that doesn't move.

I am using get_absolute_position in this video and I was using set_pos() for the bullet, after you said this I checked and there's set_global_pos() as well, but it is displaying the same behavior

Also I just realized something.
How are you handling the bullet holders movement,are you moving it at all? the bullets are children of the bullet holder so they may be inheriting data from it.(Position or otherwise)

bullet_holder does jack shit, its position is (0,0) and it'll remain there forever. Movement is handled inside the bullet script. the movement itself works as it is expected to, but I don't handled the initial position of the bullet from within the bullets script because then it just remains at said position and doesn't move.

there's some problem with setting position I can't find, if I change the position for the tank's position you'd expected the bullet to come out from the tank itself, but it isn't either, there's something causing a weird offset

Are you scaling the tanks at all?

checked.
no, the tank is (1,1), I'm scaling the sprite, though.
However, this code is working properly
func fire(): var bullet_holder = get_node("bullet_holder") var rotation = get_node("tank").get_rot() var bullet_direction = Vector2(sin(rotation), cos(rotation)) var position = get_node("tank").get_pos() + (tank_offset * bullet_direction) var shooting = load("res://Scenes/bullets.tscn") var shot = shooting.instance() shot.get_node("bullet").set_global_pos(position) shot.initiate(bullet_direction, bullet_speed) bullet_holder.add_child(shot)

Whats the best way to handle a change in a sprites values over time? Eg color, size, origin, scaling and rotation

Right now I have a state object that has all the data, and a container with two states and an interpolation timer, as opposed to a velocity

The best? That would be an Interpolator object / functionPointer which could be one of several interpolation types: Linear, cubic, cosine, sine, bezier, and spline. The latter two interpolation functions / objects would take construction parameters in the form of a series of control points which define a curve. Then your interpolation code goes from T=0 to T=duration, it creates a value from 0.0 to 1.0 to pass into the interpolator function. The interpolator function would return the value starting at 0 and ending at 1, but which follows the curve. A linear function would just return the exact value it got: 0 = 0, .5 = .5, 1 = 1; A straight line according to time.

A curved function would return the values along a parabola or bezier or spline.

You could implement a single function for interpolation that accepts a list of line segments. This would be an approximation of a line or curve or wave. Then the various other curve functions would simply generate the series of segments that the generic interpolation function will accept given a set of parameters.

That way you have one interpolation function, but any shape of interpolation curve.

That means you can have intersting interpolations like starting off slow then going fast, going past the destination then reversing and coming back, like a rubber band. That generic interpolation function would let you come up with all sorts of interesting interpolations, you could then have a square wave pattern which causes pulses as it goes from 0 to 1 and back a number of times. A position interpolated by that function would pop back and forth between two values a number of times (or once), etc.

So, you're on the right track. Now you just need a generic function which allows you to take the linear 0 to 1 value over time, and turn it into a more interesting path.

You might want to have an interpolator for each of those properties.

Of course the real answer will depend on what you actually need your game to do. If you want the "best" then you need the solution that allows "any" interpolation type, so that's my answer.

I need some bullying, I haven't done anything even when I have 1tb of toptier tutorials, expend good money in a computer and a wacom tablet that I haven't used other than shitpost in draw threads. And worse of all im a full time neet.

Set a goal and don't masturbate until you get it done!

Once I unified the old types with the new the picking ray started working again. Turns out the old code wasn't recognizing 80 bits as a valid internal representation for a 32 bit float, and expected parameters of type int which emulated floats. Since the computations on the types were hidden behind function pointers and unions (for dynamism) the compiler / linker couldn't report an error since the parameter bit widths were correct. Business logic code monkeys don't have to deal with this shit.

Now that pick rays work again I'll make sure the collide function for ray vs plane works. Then I can start (re)building the font system from within the engine.

To check the code I made picking rays persistent and tried to spell AGDG, kind of, by moving around and firing rays into the scene.

The journey of a thousands (you)s begins with a single step. That first step is the hardest. I want to see a square moving around on the screen. You can do this easily. Sit down and do it. It's not like you can't ask a question if you get stuck. Don't be a scared pussy.

Hang up a note where you'll see it that says:
FOCUS!
When your mind wanders, look at it, then pinch yourself – and not in a way that you like, sick fuck.

;_; thks 4 the U big guys.

I can't give up, making a good game is my only dream in life, I may get depressed and give up on life if I don't have any dream or goal.

I have try it and everytime have failed, but im going to try again! 4U :DDDDD

I will not give up!

Im going to work be back in about 2 hours and post the results!

Thanks guys I needed to talk with someone.

Not very fun so far, but my shit is waaaaay not done yet. I just got animated sprites working.

Game: Unreal Gold 227i

Shitpost harder.

I know nothing about sprite animation, cutouts? grids? atlastextures? what resources could I get to get a rundown of all this shit

How to program one? You get a bunch of images, organize them somehow (some atlas with regular sizes/distances works well), get the object you want to animate, give it a counter that increases by delta time each tick, define an animation as some dictionary with frametimes vs. sprites and draw whatever sprite comes up based on your frametime. Something like that. If you want the animation to loop then set the frame counter back to 0 after passing whatever end point you want.
If you haven't worked with quads before just use separate images first and get that to animate before implementing a quad version.

I set that description several years ago. lol

And that picture is shit, here's a different one. Don't worry, I didn't request or pay for either of these, an Asian short circuited and threw herself at pen and tablet all on her own.

Also some sprites I'm working on.

user please

Absolutely patrician

Looks better.

Maybe find an premade example and see how it's done. Beware that some engines use slightly different terminology, and there are different sprite types.

For instance, my sprites have bones for position and scale of frames (they can stretch).

So, what said is correct but it depends on the engine. There are countless ways to make sprite systems if you're rolling your own.

You don't have to defend yourself, furfag.
Just keep progress posting.
Besides, once you have trained well, there is a mission only you can accomplish.

I'm going for some hybrid between Deus Ex and The Matrix. Also a wee bit of Doom in art style later in the mod. I need to make a map that contains small scenes of what I want. Like a rainy, cyberpunk city (UGold 227i has weather particle emitters) that the building in the video shows, a space station, and some sort of Doom/Doom 3 sort of Mars base/hellscape. Lots of UGold/UT99/Deus Ex music to be used.

Doing this is giving me so many ideas of end objectives for future villains and shit

I wonder how many people in these threads are furfags but never reveal it

Well, if what I said in is true, then all one of them.

many

reading that had effects on my high mind

It should be obvious that you keep your shameful fetishes to yourself.

Aren't most furries obnoxious as fuck about it?

What about this one?

How can I get some of those fur-bux without the furry mafia taking their cut?

nope, too chaotic

I swear to god elementalsignfaeriecookingdev, please label this image lest man find no rest.

Yes, and that's exactly why nobody likes furries.

ok gimme a minute… or more

Oops, I sure caught me

what kind of jew sorcery is this?

all (you) tbh

Store it all in the Gayman Islands.

My theory was correct, it seems.

Nice. I'm so tired of "sci fi" and fantasy just re-using the same tired old academic cosmology bullshit for their universes.

Your "fantasy" version is probably closer to the truth than the "it's just gravity & dust" theory they teach in indoctrination camp schools. Statistics alone says there should be hardly any perfectly round craters on the moon, and most should be oblong ovals because the moon doesn't have the massive gravity to pull objects straight at it before they hit. Random debris would be mostly striking at random angles. However, we see the opposite: Nearly all the craters are circles as if they were all aimed directly at the moon somehow. Academic astronomers have no answer for such basic observations. This kills the theory. Kek.

Once again it's up to fiction writers to imagine new possibilities which may be closer to the truth.

You can read about what each common and composite does, tomorrow im posting about the 8 celestial elements

Im also doing it without gods
I always hated the whole: "well eh… a god did it!!!"
Its so fucking lazy

It's the same sorcery you make games with it.
var bl = document.getElementsByClassName("body-line");for (var i=0; i=0; e--){ small[e].parentNode.removeChild(small[e]); } var link = bl[i].getElementsByTagName("a"); for (var e=0; e

jquery is shit.

Objectively wrong.

Yes you are.

You're that fag that requires a 4MB library to use one function instead of typing all ten lines, aren't you?

Fuck off, furry. Whenever your kind appears shit and autism follows. Lest I remind you that Holla Forums and /furry/ almost synced fully in userbase. Your sprites look like shit too.

imgur.com/gallery/BJlkm1w

NICE, IMPRESSIVE RETRO ARTSTYLE.
THIS TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING YOU'D SEE ON THE SNES!!

I don't browse either of those boards, all I care about is showing my Unreal mod. Its the internet, user. Don't take it too seriously, you'll end up much better off that way.

That being said, yeah but they are a template and I have never attempted to draw sprites like this. Now if you are talking about what is in the video, those are Xenogears sprites, I just screencapped them from a video in the debug room I accessed using game shark codes and an emu. They stretch and distort a bit in the waist due to issues with… I think how the game was rendering the sprites due to window size, not sure.

I'll behave better than your average funposter, I swear. Scout's honor and all that.

How about you stop being a furry whilst you post then? No one wants to see you post art of your retarded furry OC here. The issues from furries stem from them acting like their fetish is normal.
If you want to just, like, make game then leave your furry at the door and bring in your game.

i'm not a furry, but you're being pretty autistic about this.

Maybe because furry discussion isnt VIDEOGAMES and isn't GAMEDEV, and this happens every time a furry shows up in any on-topic thread

Sure I can do that. I am still going to post sprites as I make progress though, I have to improve my art by finishing this sprite template. Bamboo Fun tablets are bad, gotta save that cash and grab something decent.

Broke my sprite actor again, for some reason animation groups aren't being registered to the spriteanimation actor so I gotta fix that shit again.

(1)
You weren't on imageboards during the 2000's.

Exactly; their whole culture is based off of subversion. I have actually been very interested in online communities and how they differ culturally for a long time and one thing I keep seeing over and over is that furries use tactics that are nearly identical to that of goons. The issue though is that furries are literal autists and use sex to further their agenda. Goons can be immediately expelled if caught early on but furries will stay and, when confronted, be supported by everyone else who faps to furshit in the fear that their own degeneracy will be revealed.
The only solution to furshit is to cut all the heads off of the neon-green dicked hydra.
Can you actually draw? I recommend you study some anatomy before you attempt animation, furfag.

I'm afraid it's a bit worse that than.

There are parts where it's like minecraft. It's a hodge podge of low effort meme game shit.

A few years ago someone wanted me to make an FPS engine to create a "retro" indie pixel game. I was like, "Just make a total conversion for Doom." And then someone did… 2nd pic.

There are some low res aesthetics I'd like to try out but only because reducing the resolution allows me to put way more calculations into each pixel. For instance, see: Raymarching. But Mixels and Rixels and 24bit gradients, next to 1bit transparency pixel shit. It boggles the mind that they think it looks OK. And plebs will eat it up because they have no taste either.

So far I'm just tracing Xenogears' Fei sprites so I have a base to work with. I should study anatomy at some point and basic movement, but not yet. I still have to get the animation code to work, which is mostly up. My animation system is mostly done, gotta write two things:
- A Mutator to spawn the level up system and items plus the animation things that are required.
- The finishing touches to a sprite bitmap parser that fills libraries. Then more stuff can be worked on.

After sprites are done and that Mutator is written, I really want to get back to working on the camera system, I really admired MGS1's camera system and I feel something like that would make a great platformer. The player shouldn't have to fuck with a camera, and the camera needs to not be awful like in Xenogears, being way too close to the player and action at all time.

>aesthetics
That's a funny way of spelling A E S T H E T I C S

same

Made it so that you can type input into the command line. This functionality is not implemented on linux yet and still needs a bit of polish.

but how is your game coming along?

that part comes later

If someone theoretically did a shit drawing of your engine-tan how would you have them look? I remember your drawing from two threads ago.

like my joke drawing except drawn by an actual artist, so it looks like an qt anime girl

Maybe I would want her to have logo's on her, like the old logo's on the bottom of websites, but with the compilers I use, but I dont know how to incorporate it into the design.

She has the same color long skirt. I'm not sure what else she should have. Maybe she should be holding something? I'm not sure what. Like an install CD for OS/2 Warp 4 or a copy of the actual game on a CD-ROM. Maybe she could hold an old IBM laptop?

Pick ray vs box, with a bit less z-fighting.

Thought I'd try changing the depth testing function to less than rather than less or equal, but I really just need to render transparent shit last.

What is this, an xbox game?

great, so now im trying to compile on watcom C, and its giving me this error out of nowhere.

Obviously "str" is an argument to the function, so it has been declared;
Does anyone know why this error is happening? Does anyone else have experience with Open Watcom?

The problem is probably the missing ) earlier before the con_querystr function. Its like a run-on error after the missing ) error, I bet.

I haven't gotten to optimizing it yet, so it has trouble going over 35

This is the full relevant code, it compiles correctly in pelles C. I havent tested it on GCC yet though.

#include #include #include #include #include #include #include "console.h"#include "sys.h"//the console is BASICALLY what keeps order in this madness... so it gets initalized first because it defines//how just about everything else will get initalized.//cvars are also in this file however it is very intergrated with the console system so this is appropriatevoid startupmessage(void){ con_printf("Starting up Sigma II...");}void con_startupinfo(con_t *con){ con_printf("CONSOLE: %dx%d Text Buffer.",con->buf_width,con->buf_height);}//i still want to be able to con_print before I start up the console!//so, i query all the strings here and then print them on startup...void con_querystr(con_t *con, const char *str){ if(con->query_place == 0){ con->query_allocd_slots = CON_QUERY_ALLOC_INC; con->query_buffer = calloc(1,sizeof(char *) * con->query_allocd_slots); } else if(con->query_place > con->query_allocd_slots){ con->query_allocd_slots += CON_QUERY_ALLOC_INC; con->query_buffer = realloc(con->query_buffer,sizeof(char *) * con->query_allocd_slots); memset(con->query_buffer + ((con->query_place + 1) * sizeof(char *)),0, sizeof(char *) * (con->query_allocd_slots - con->query_place)); } char *heap_str = calloc(1,strlen(str)+1); memcpy(heap_str,str,strlen(str)); con->query_buffer[con->query_place] = heap_str; con->query_place++;}

All the brackets look fine, maybe the error is somewhere in console.h or sys.h or maybe watcom is just bad.

I think I have this thing set up wrong, this ide is like a damn maze with its crazy interface. Its like someone just got their hands on windows 95's cool new interface API and went wild with it. I'm trying to find an option menu that might clue me in on this but it says things like "Generate Pentium or 486 floating point instructions?" "Protected Mode Only" is a check box somewhere.

these objects are traveling at well over 13,000+ mph. I don't think they have much chance to skid before they impact into the surface while transferring a lot of kinetic energy.

And a bunch of craters aren't exactly round. You see all those clam shell shape like impacts around with the lighter surface spread out on one edge as its shallower due to the impact angle.

Also, vid related.

fixing

Are there any particularly good videos for learning Zbrush? Figure I wouldn't mind learning to make 3D assets for vidya than the vidya themselves.

hello is me pajeet writnig your docc :DDD

Fucking hell. Thanks to my job i already have to deal with broken english from Russians and Chinks. Now i also have to deal with Pajeets in my devfagging free time? Also how fucking low iq do you have to be for such niggerspeak. English is my third language and even my grammar is better than theirs.

I have it limited to 30FPS when the engine is producing a video. It can be set to a max of whatever you want via .CFG file. It goes to thousands if I unlock it, but that's retarded since my screen can't refresh at more than 120Hz so I'd just be rendering frames that never get seen and heating up the GPU for good reason.

Nah. You meant to replay to someone else.

But for reference in case anyone wonders: The z-fighting problem (see: lines breaking up) is caused by rendering two things at similar z-depth. Rounding error in the approximation of float z-depth of pixels as they are converted into the integer buffer can cause things rendered at the same position to "fight" for the same "Z" index. That's why the lines are broken up.

The fix in this case is to render all your solid geometry (the lines and boxes) with depth buffer writes enabled. Then disable the depth buffer writing (but leave on depth testing), and render all the transparent objects from far to near.

I can fix it but and there's no point, since that code is getting replaced soon anyway.

Nah. A random assortment of collisions over a long time would have range of velocities. Some would even land relatively softly.

Normally I wouldn't reply further but since you seem interested, and an explanation could help others get ideas for lore:
On earth meteors rarely come in directly and most of them leave oblong craters. The theory of late heavy bombardment, which is promoted on TV science shows and in school books, has been soundly debunked for decades and is seen as highly questionable "backfitting" even to the ones who think it somewhat valid. That theory was invented because the celestial bodies have far too many craters, so it was hypothesized that a final swarm of debris swooped in out of nowhere causing all the craters – and then was strangely never heard of again. It's junk science at best as that theory doesn't even attempt to disprove its null hypothesis and was just created to prop up an older theory (which would otherwise be on shaky ground given our new observations). The problem is, we don't know why too many craters are round, and why there's too many young craters for the accepted aggregation formation hypothesis to be valid. There could even be other crater formation mechanisms we're ignorant of. Rather than admit "we don't know yet", the public is told known wrong BS, and they believe it because they don't do research and just regurgitate whatever BS science TV celebs say, like black science man or Bill Nye the SWJ guy.

The Astronomers I know complain about not being able to get funding to do research so they can get time on 'scopes to find new evidence. The public believes "the science is settled", so no funds; late heavy bombardment and snowball-comet dogma is literally retarding research efforts. The Rosetta mission showed a weird oblong comet 67p, with a dry dusty surface and no water anywhere on it – no "jets" of water either (these were mostly SiO2 dust and H+ ions). The coma and tail of comets glow like an Aurora Borealis and emit UV light that's too bright to be reflected from the sun. This isn't the first time, every comet we've observed up close turns out to be a rock, not an icy snowball. 67p looks like it was fused from two smaller bodies. Something besides collision alone is likely responsible for fusing them together. A collision of that magnitude would have resulted in one round molten core or two separated bodies with divots, not fusion. If there's something that can fuse comets and make them glow with a light of their own, then perhaps it can form craters too? Gravity and collisions alone are not good enough explanations for our observations. However, public sheep get scared if they think their herders are clueless…

My point is that even based on real scientific observation sci-fi settings could have incredibly different worlds. Games could have vastly different settings even if it was based on hard scientific evidence. One example: 67p shows fusion. Imagine a Swiss Cheese planet that was made of a pile of such 10km rocks fused together at edges. The surface area would exponentially exceed a Dyson Sphere, and it could even be in a very weird non-round shape. What about imagining what that mysterious force could be which can merge comets together? Games could build entire settings and mechanics based just on that "new energy source" alone. These are just a couple of examples of the known unknowns. Most new sci-fi settings today are boring even compared to actual research that's already many years old.

Now I can find the specific point(s) of pick ray intersection with boxes.

Now to refactor the code to call function pointers for rendering, logic / physics and input. Then I change those pointers to switch into different modes of play / edit / menus, consoles, etc.

time to sleep.

now bullets move disappear when they hit a body, and made two sprites donut steel. I feel like I'm overlooking something and I'll have to end up redoing them

Autodesk makes them. There are also a number of other DCC training content vendors out there user.

Fugg

I don't know why that would raise an error. I don't know much about C either; I don't suppose it's because of the const flag in the parameter?

no, this is valid code in Pelles C. (see ) Watcom is just behaving oddly… for some reason.

>got final [native language] exam tomorrow 19 no bully
Well, at least once exams are over, I can go work on game shit properly.

Considering this is the next best thing to an art thread, I'll ask here; Is there anyway to have a high resolution reference(U+200B was here) image overlayed onto a low resolution canvas for pixel art purposes? Can be with any free art programs.

How in hell did that get in my post

What are the other two?

Just like, make your game your job.
I mean it's not that hard to find seed money right. :^)

what game are you making?

imgur.com/gallery/AWCv3

What's the chances of Watcom implementing some nonstandard thing named str, which would be really fucking retarded? It should be zero, but you never know.

embed related

I have tried renaming it to "strr" and "string", nothing happening. The "str" error is actually cascading from the previous error. It thinks that I need to put a closing bracket, and then it continues to assume that I have put the closing bracket after this error, which creates the error with "str" not being declared, since this assumption puts it out of scope. I don't know why It thinks I need a closing bracket right after my else-if statement

now that I actually placed my dirt textures and I realize they are way overdesigned, would appreciate a hand in the subject

>that was the first thread I ever posted on, after months of lurking
Holy shit, takes me back. Pics related.
might use the design of the girl for a character somewhere down the line, she's kinda cute, even if the perspective is the most fucked thing i've ever seen

Too tired to go in depth again, but it's like the Social link aspect of Persona 3-5, except less preachy, your choices matter, (as in actually fucking matter, not Bethesda-tier), and you have the option of treating people like shit, either from the outset, or betraying their trust down the line, the latter of which will hurt them more, of course.

Anyone got an archive of the last thread? I explained it a lot there. Either that, or two threads ago, don't recall anymore.

LOL

This might be the most competent humor I've ever seen come out of Reddit. Almost all of them are genuinely funny.

That's literally the :^) face.

Dub dubs confirm.
Though it's :^| . Kath ain't happy.

im using a tilemap with godot, I want to know if i can place(overlap) two textures in a given slot, is this possible?

not without a second tile map

can't you just make a 2d array of texture arrays?

so textures from the same tilemap can't overlap(the last will replace the one before it), but with two different tile maps the texture can overlap then?

I also just realized I don't know how to remove a texture from a given tile

That's pretty wasteful.

You'd basically go array->array->texture->data, whereas having two separate arrays means you could just go array->texture->data, depending on whether you want the first or second array, not to mention you'd have an array allocated for EVERY tile.

Doesn't Godot have multi-stage textures?

I thought they had n dot 3 bump mapping on sprites in some godot demo footage.

Look in their shader documentation. A simple shader should be able to do a blend of two images / textures / whatever their terminology is.

I have
func damage(damage): life = life - damage print("anything") if (life > 1): return #get_node("anim").play("explode") set_fixed_process(false) #get_node("sfx").play("sound_explode") for my tank and
func _on_body_enter(body): print("test2") print(body.has_method("damage")) if (body.has_method("damage")): body.damage(power) _hit_something() for my bullets, however print(body.has_method("damage")) is returning false, what am I doing wrong?

Is this Python?

godot's gdscript which is a lot like python syntax wise

Is damage actually part of something? Like does it actually get declared as part of "body", or is it just a top-level function? I can't really tell and I don't know how Godot works

damage is just a function on my tank that i created myself, in this case body is my tank as it is the thing that is receiving the bullet. I'll be doing some testing

It's entity component model.

The hardest system to debug. I almost think AAA devs promoted it as good to kill competition…

so my tank is
node2d
|->kinematic body
|->sprite
|->collision
|->node2d
|->timer
the logic is actually tied to the parent, I thought it'd be inherited by its children but it doesn't seem to be the case
print(body) returns a kinematicbody so I though if I targeted its parent with .get_node("../../") this would all work but body.get_node("../../").has_method("damage") still returns false……..

and
print(body.get_node("../../")) forgot to point out this returns a node2d

these pics should give a better idea of what's happening

shouldn't you use
if get_collider().has_method("damage"): get_collider().damage(power)
You could also use groups for this:
if get_collider().is_in_group("takes-damage"): get_collider().damage(power)
godot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/classes/class_node.html#class-node-is-in-group
godot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/learning/step_by_step/scripting_continued.html#groups

reproduced your code and its working, maybe the bullet is not working properly

So, i want to write something more spicy since all i wrote recently was boring physics and shit

During the last years of the human empire, which was falling due to degenracy, i want to make the empire's senate have a serious discussion and have to decide if liking traps is gay

Reason: the empire has anti-homo laws, but nobles were getting away with fucking half-elf traps by buying judges which were accepting crappy arguments like its only gay if the balls touch, the peasants noticed this and started to riot, forcing the Senate to have a serious discussion on the issue.

I want to write this as if it was a history book describing the whole thing in detail, each argument, each objection and how the whole thing ended, but i have no idea how would this be recorded and where to find a reference to follow, anyone have any ideas?

ace attorney threads

this doesn't seem to be what I want but I'll read on the matter

I don't understand your code, it seems to me like you are getting the parent of the bullet in line 16 of your bullet script. he's my bullet "tree"

But how much a court of law and the senate (similar structure to the roman republic senate) have in common?

if nobles can win, then just go with ace attorney rules, the judge has all the power

oh no, the cases itself have already been decided, the nobles already won these, i want to describe the aftermatch in the senate

Not sure what you're asking?

I don't think I can bring myself to make a compelling argument that traps aren't gay.

You could read articles about IRL events for inspiration, if you get desperate.

aclu-mo.org/newsviews/2003/06/26/sodomy-law-overturned
They think they're being clever.

Also is alcu blocked archive.is? Gave me error when I tried to archive it, twice.

Best way I get ideas for plot is to create characters with depth, put them in situations then imagine what they'd do. So, maybe you have some pro and against prominent politicians. Give a few notorious figureheads checkers past and closet skeletons. Extrajudicial pressures (threats of assassins, backroom deals, public opponents secretly fucking each other & sabotaging things, etc).

Oh the arguments will mostly be bullshit, i can come with a few, the joke is how they will be using these as serious arguments
There will be some pro senators who will be really into it, while most will do rebutals like a comedy sketch, but disguised as a real discussion.
What i don't know is how the procedures of the senate meetings would go, and how the senators would address each other, how would they reply, can they interrupt each other or they have to listen and wait their turn? These details are what i want to know. Im looking for material about the roman senate, but can't find the kind of stuff i need, maybe i will base it on how the British parliament does things…
Keeping in mind this is supposed to be a civilization similar to the roman rebublic/empire

Thanks for the link, i will check out

i just checked with get_name and get_node("../../") isn't returning the parent of the kinematicbody2d(my tank) it is instead returning the root node on level1(the scene that has both a tank and enemy tank scene), so have t find a way to actually target the root node of the tank scene

finally figured it out, this isn't C89 compliant… you have to declare everything at the top. However, from wikipedia:

by compiling with -za99 it gets by this error, so I can continue my work.

figured how to get the correct node using collisions instead of hard coding it, but hadt to change the bullet node to an Area2D node

Hm, what's a ballpark figure for the cost to hire an artist? I know it's hard to answer something this vague, but I need to start saving up.

The jew in me says $5000 but something tells me that's an extremely low figure

about 20k for the minimum passable, that would buy you from month and a half to three months depending of which shithole the other person lives in

Without reading your spoiler, I estimated about $8000.

It depends on the quality, too. I mean, it's not unreasonable for someone to make 2, maybe 3 environmental models a week, maybe 2 weeks per simple enemy (like the crab), and a month per character (since they're important and need the effort).

I'm guessing about 4-5 months of work, assuming things flow smoothly and they deliver on time. Given the indie scene, assume about 8 months for delivery.

5 months of paid work at $16/hr fulltime, works out to about $12,800 give or take

Except the animations, more than half of this should be findable on 3d stores for free because they're stuffed with toon shit:
turbosquid.com
blendswap.com
cgtrader.com
sharecg.com
assetstore.unity3d.com
sketchfab.com (Most people use this for their portfolio, but there is actually a shitload of free downloadable content too)

Also, by baking lighting/ambient/cavity maps in Blender + using photoshop filters and gradient maps you can even turn non-cartoony textures into cartoony ones. The teamfortress 2 modding community has some good tutorials on this. Don't waste your money on artists who will charge you 10 times the price it's actually worth.

Those times are for a complete beginner, or someone trying to milk you for all you're worth.
For someone worth their salt it would take a few days maximum (8hrs per day, 2 or maybe 3 days) to make a crab model (high poly scuplted model + low poly model), fully rig it, and to provide a set of animations.
A character would maybe be a week, but less if they have an efficient workflow to work from (if they're experienced, they definitely do, i.e. base model w/rig, and modifiers for low -> high poly).

If someone provides your purported workflow they're highly inexperienced, and probably won't be kept on for anything else after they spend multiple weeks making a single goddamn cartoony crab.
Furthermore, the reason one practices, and learns their tools/trade is to produce high quality work in a short amount of time.

sorry, there was a blackout. I figured how to fix it, body.get_parent(). yes, it was that easy, I want to kill myself

Where's that image of the horrendous animu girl who cost 2000 fucking dollars?

>Grid2D TileMap;
>Grid2D TileMap_LaserState;
>Grid2D TileMap_EntityReservation;

I feel like quitting until next thread

Ditched watcom after figuring out it doesn't support compound literals. Maybe some other time if I feel like rewriting a lot of code.

Every object in the game has a stateless data class that can recreate its current game object, as well as the logic as their children. It also keeps track of how long it's been since they were last updated and simultaneously ages them.

TLDR: REV UP THAT GARBAGE COLLECTOR

And here I am worrying about whether I should use 2 floats for my position versus a ushort

It's not like I'm going to be my random spikey plant and the default spheres in the final product.

Has thread reached bump limit?

Yes. We reached the bump limit 81 posts ago.