Ratchet & Clank

The original trilogy was great, but how were the later games?
I've only played as far up as Deadlocked.

Also
What's your favourite weapon of the original three?
Favourite character?
Favourite planet?
Favourite boss fight?
And finally, what's your favourite favourite entry to the series?

The second is still my favourite. I must have beaten it twenty times. Bless that NG+ mode.

I played the first one that went to the PS3, from what I remember it was still pretty faithful to the original trilogy of games.

I haven't played Tools of Destruction in ages, but I remember it being good albeit a bit too easy. I really loved A Crack In Time though, from the weapons to the amount of content to the puzzles.
I'll also say that although the reboot's writing and story were both trash, I did enjoy its gameplay enough to play through it twice. I really liked its rendition of Gaspar in particular.

Are there any games similar to Ratchet and Clank, at all?
TPSs with whacky weaponry, varied enviroments and minigames, and loads of upgrades?

Not really. I would say Jak 2 but that is a bit too edgy compared to Ratchet and Clank.

All4one was the shittest ratchet and clank.
Crack in Time is objectively the best gameplay wise, space combat, rocket boots, weapons that you can customise to change damage types ect.
Tools of destruction is the second best followed by #3, quest for booty, #2, gladiator then #1 with size matters trailing at the end, not being the worst but close to it.

That's the order the games go in if judged by gameplay.
You cannot argue against this, i have been playing all of these game since release and i have grown up playing them.
I lost my virginity with ratchet and clank 2 in the background, i know what i'm talking about.

Deadlocked would have been really good would it have been more varied. They kept hyping up the ghost town and then all it was was an easy corridor with reskins of every other enemy in the game.

Crack In Time's gameplay is never utilized to its fullest in its level design. 3's levels make good use of the tools you're given and the vehicles are dang fun to use, while the little Qwark vidcons are at their best here.

Personal favorite of mine is 3, but 2 comes close. GC would be a masterpiece had a lock strafe control scheme been standard by then, and had pic related been removed from the game.
Aside from those two issues, everything else is down to taste:

Crack in time was a great game.

A lot of people would disagree, but it was still breddy good, especially when you take into account it was a more modern game. And modern games being how they are, usually have a propensity of shit most of the time.

Post R&C pics, my folder is a little light.

of being shit*

I had wanted to ask, what levels did the reboot cut? Is Gemlik Station still in? That level was comfy.

Nope. I did like it overall but it was kind of annoying that they cut something like five planets out.
The levels in the reboot are

Forgot to say that the following levels were cut:

Really? You faggots actually bought that? Jesus Christ.

Fug. Those were pretty nice levels too. Oltanis especially, along with Gemlik.

Though

Jeez. Did we really need that?

I just realised. Did Umbris get cut as well?

This was because the last boss was replaced.

Dr. Nefarious is the final boss of the reboot

It was cheap
I'd need to play the original game again before I'd decide which one is better overall, though I don't need to play it again to know that the original's characters, story, humour etc absolutely wipe the floor with those of the reboot. From what I remember, there was more level and enemy variety in the original as well.

Unfortunately, yeah. The boss from that level is still in the game, but the fight is significantly different.

No excuse, vote with your wallet.

There cannot be enough rage in my heart for this.

Why do they like that character so much?
He was extremely annoying in the third game.

The First future Trilogy (Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty, and A Crack In Time) are really good, but I don't know about the rest.
Also played Size Matters on PS2, I didn't like it.
R&C2 still the best after 14 years.

nigga you literally unlock first person mode through skill points and it is lock strafe.

2 was my favourite also OP mainly because of all the variety of new gameplay and upgrades. and figuring out the skill points and secrets gave it such good replayability. gave it to my little brother last year on ps2 and was such a nostalgia trip, wish i had my original save so i could boost around the tundra or dessert as a snowman

Things I remember from the reboot:
>The spanish dub is miles worse in the reboot, everyone sounds generic now

it was because the game was made for the movie, not for the fans.

Size Matters is very good for what it is. It looks and feels like Ratchet, but it's quite short. Still fun if you're a fan though.

Secret Agent Clank is way better. Lots more content, fun little stealth elements. It's basically just another Ratchet game, but it does a very good job with it. Highly underrated game.

I'd say Tools of Destruction is up there with Going Commando as my favorite. Lots and lots of content, a good balance of platforming and shooting. I feel other entries, starting with Up Your Arsenal, suffered from less focus on platforming and more on shooting, but I've got plenty of shooters to play. I want more platformers.

Quest for Booty is a short budget title that was basically standalone DLC. If you like Tools of Destruction, it's more of that, but only a tiny bit more.

A Crack in Time is the only full game since, other than the remake, and it's very good. I don't know if I'd put it as high as Tools of Destruction or any of the first three, but it's certainly close. Also, the Clank gameplay in this is fantastic. Best in the series by far, and I wish I could play a full game of it.

All 4 One is a multiplayer spinoff that's fun for what it is, but don't go in expecting something like the main entries. When you play single player it does play a bit more like the main games, but it's still shorter and much more shallow, to allow for the multiplayer shit.

Full Frontal Assault is a tower defense spinoff. It was also a budget title sold for like $15. Good for what it is. If you like Deadlocked, it plays a lot like that, Ratchet without the platforming. Also if you got the PS3 version it came with the Vita version for free, along with Quest for Booty and Deadlocked HD for PS3. Those alone make it worth the price, assuming you don't have the originals.

Into the Nexus was once again a budget title, but they went all out with this. Despite being sold for cheap on release, it is way, way longer than Quest for Booty. Much longer than most indieshit I've played that tries to be like these games. Felt pretty much like a full game that was just a little short, rather than a budget game that was very long. The gameplay isn't stunted at all, and what you get is some of the best stuff in the series. It was the final release before the reboot, so I think they went all out. The ending is a nice ending to the whole franchise. Definitely a must play if you're a fan.

The remake is at least actually a remake, it is a new game, and not a remaster, but while some levels are completely redesigned, and there's a few brand new levels, a lot of levels are just exact replicas of the originals. Also, not every level from the original game made it into this one, and the new ones that are there aren't as good. Remember that hard as shit, very varied return to Veldin? How hard it was to finally reach the boss? Well that's all gone now, and now you just walk down some hallways and shoot guys, with no platforming whatsoever. Still one of the more fun games I've played in years, but that says more about how vidya sucks now, than it does about how good this game is. But don't get me wrong, it's alright. The Clank gameplay is new and fun. A lot of the new stuff is fun, but it's just not as good as the original.

The movie is okay too. Definitely one of the best video game movies there is, maybe only behind Mortal Kombat. But video game movies are shit, so it's still only okay.

Space combat was done way better in Going Commando, and the rocket boots are just Clank but when Clank is off doing his own thing. They don't change the gameplay in any significant way.

Up Your Arsenal suffers from being shorter than Going Commando and having a bunch more boring ass shooter map levels. If I wanted to play a shooter I'd get a better one than this. But they wanted to jump on the multiplayer bandwagon, and by focusing on that, they had less time and other resources for single player.

Up Your Arsenal was like a testing ground for if Insomniac should try shooters again, and then Deadlocked was like practice for Resistance.

You're gonna sit there and say Quest for Booty, a game that's like 15 minutes long, is better than Going Commando? Better than everything except the two PS3 games and Up Your Arsenal? You're nuts.

Because I'm desperate for 3D platformers and this is as close as I got in years, except maybe Tearaway Unfolded. Also, Into the Nexus was very good.

Don't forget that Skill Points aren't a thing anymore. That was some of the most fun stuff not just in Ratchet, but in Spyro. Now you have trophies instead, but trophies give you way more hints on what to do, and the challenges are more generic anyway.

Weak.

I was voting with my wallet for the closest I've got to a 3D platformer in a long time. I want more games like the first two Ratchets, and this is the closest I've got, so I voted for it.

"Closest" doesn't mean "close enough".

Almost pathetic.

If I don't vote for that then the votes for things I like less will win. So yes, it does mean close enough, in this particular instance.

i bought it too user, smashed it in two days and immediately regretted it when i started the ng+ mode. id already found almost all the gold bolts in my first playthrough and could buy the ryno

What about Deadlocked?

Deadlocked is basically a spinoff that tries to make Ratchet into a full third person shooter instead of a platformer with shooter elements, or a half platformer half shooter. It's good for what it is, though. While I certainly wouldn't put it as high as the five main games (the first three plus Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time), it is perhaps the best spinoff. Maybe tied with Into the Nexus.

I wouldn't recommend it, Quest for Booty is so damn short that weapons you find come already levelled.

Yeah that game really would have benefited from a Challenge Mode, since levelling up your weapons is actually one of the more fun aspects in later games.

What killed me the most about QfB is that it didn't have NG+.
It felt like a really rushed piece of shit. What an awful midpoint in the Future trilogy.

It shouldn't even be considered a mainline game.

More like ToD 1.5. The "trilogy" is more like a "duology".

It's not like it was sold as a full game. It was marketed and priced as a short budget title. Even as that, I'd say it's much too short, especially compared to how great Into the Nexus was years later, but comparing it on the same standards as Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time is just dumb.

The PS3 games really can't compare to the four PS2 ones. Different atmosphere, very different story, characters, and humor (much, much shittier), and the combat and weapons just never felt as good to me either. The space stuff in Crack in Time is probably the best thing in the PS3 games. Favorite game is Going Commando, favorite weapon is the Qwack-o-Blitzer.

Recently (about two months now) got a PS4 and this game and this is pretty accurate. I platinum'd the game strangely quickly, or at least it felt that way in comparison to the older games, even on the hardest difficulty, and I don't usually play games on hard settings.

I must attest to how shitty the swingshot is. Since it doesn't behave the way other swingshots behaved, as a gadget, rather, an active item based on possible nearby nodes using the same button as weapons, there are several points in the game where combat is hot garbage. I simply wanted to shoot enemies, and not fuck around with the swingshot, looking like a fucking retard.

Aside from that, I also felt many of the weapons were lacking. They all worked about as expected, but none really defied expectations or were that impressive. They all just felt like some derivative of similar weapons from previous titles, or felt a little too samey where they're either "fire and forget" (I'm looking at you Zurkon, Glove of Doom, Proton Drum, and Groovitron.) or a decent mid-range automatic weapon, and the RYNO was especially lacking in this game, and felt pretty cheap. One staple weapon I felt was missing was the Suck Cannon, seeing how there were plenty of small enemies that would have worked great for it!

Many of the planets did return, but some of the best ones were left in the dust, or felt sterile in comparison to the original, and it just felt like there really wasn't that much to do except go forward in the game. In the previous games, it was fun to explore areas with the Hydro Pack and O2 Mask or other items and uncover hidden parts of the level that you couldn't get to before, and it was fun to destroy the Snow Dan. Since there wasn't much to do, the amount of gold bolts was kinda sad and felt pointless. I collected all of them on my first playthrough, and I was pretty disappointed by what they did. To make up for it, one could collect cards and raritanium for small bonuses in the game, but I felt like they were both just pointless things to collect to pad out the game and make it feel more modern, I guess.

The story was god awful. I remember skipping cut-scenes about a quarter of the way into the game because they felt like a waste of time. The characters where all pretty one-dimensional and were nothing to write home about. I remember the part on Pokitaru where Al is being fucking obnoxious about card conventions, or whatever he was saying. Was this supposed to be funny? I only felt awkward hearing a fictional character spill their spaghetti over some reviewer and talking about karaoke.Needless to say, I didn't chuckle at this game like I still to do to the original games.

I had some enjoyment, but other things kinda ruined it for me. Now I wait for another action platformer worth playing.

To be fair, this is a problem that dates back to the very first sequel. Each time you only get a few weapons that are new, and most are just slight tweaks of previous weapons. I did like how this game at least acknowledged it, and had you collect cards of all the old weapons, arranged into groups based on which of the old weapons they were ripping off.

I wish I could just roll all three into a single masterpiece

Is he a complete faggot?

The combat in the PS3 games was smooth, but it wasn't as fun.

I was emulating the first, and did not remember half of the start of the game, all I remember are the levels following, It's amazing how much you can forget.
I also found out that the only way to play it without fucked textures is to set the damn emulator to software rendering, but that doesn't allow for a higher internal resolution. Is there any other solution?

I believe the PCSX2 team are working on fixing the texture problems.
It's like that for every game that runs in the engine.

S'cool

R&C is already pretty much fixed, the one thing is it still needs an obscene CPU (not fullspeed on my 4790k last I checked but really just limited to he arena) to deal with the arena in 2 and 3

Hmm..

and people say they don't like emulation