Elex

Quickly reading up on it, the premise of the game is that on a very technologically advanced planet, a meteor strikes the planet bring with it what is essentially mana (The magical kind).

So, thoughts, impressions, anyone else just as confused as I am on how this will all play out?

cautiously optimistic

Now that's something unexpected. Don't like how they mostly show off shitty outfits.

No gameplay = no interest.
I know you're not supposed to play RPGs for combat, but I play everything for combat and combat in Gothic/Risen games sucks ass.
If this is more of the same with new coat of paint - I'll pass.

Cautiously optimistic, let's see how the gameplay looks like.

played the alpha. it played kinda like risen 2&3 but with swords, bows, jetpack and grenade launchers.
somehow I still enjoy playing the newer risen games, even though i see how flawed they are so I will get Elex whenever available.

wrpg so it's a "yuo cna do anythign!!!!" game, but because you can do everything, nothing is fleshed out so it's all fucking boring so dropped

In fishless sea even crab is a fish.

Looking up some videos about the game, and I'm wondering why I haven't heard about it until now.

Gameplay looks boring tbh.

I have a feeling that this will be Risen 3 all over again. Mediocre game that you forget after a single walkthrough.

For some fucking reason listening to german speech trying to be so hardcore makes me laugh.
But yeah combat looks pretty shit, animations are straight from 2007.
Don't even see a reason to pirate it.

They need more gameplay or else it looks like shit.

Sounds like a neat premise.

There's a fine line between realistic and arcade animations and they're teetering too much on the arcade side.

Elex reuses some animations from previous Piranha games.
In one trailer I saw a monster that is basically just sci-fi reskin.
Piranha being a single trick pony makes yet another Gothic.
The fanbase that has grown around their original game is frankly more impressive than the studio itself.

Embed related, there are English subtitles. Poles are making a mod for Gothic II. They managed to get on board professional voice actors that used their voice for the first two games. The production value and their autistic knowledge of the game's lore is staggering. Check it out.

I guess I'll take a look into the studios work then. Also…

This, I really liked the first risen and even managed to enjoy 2. We´ll see if they learned and improved.

from what i've seen it will be another passable RPG that won't match Gothic… Risen I was the last really good one

Will most likely be exactly the same as all the other Gothic games, which means, great german voice acting, great gameworld, great atmosphere and absolute garbage gameplay.

And I wouldn't have it any other way

I've been wanting a good magitech game that wasn't Shadowrun, so I guess I'm looking forward to it.

I can't believe they're still around. While I'm grateful that people of my country produced great games like Gothic one and two and I guess Risen was alright as well, they should've died long ago.
I recall seeing a video of, what I assume to be, the early versions of this game. It looked like garbage.
I'll admit that the trailer in the Op is pretty neat and that actually looks kind of alright.
Perhaps they might end up redeeming themselves but I just have no optimism regarding this once beloved dev team. What are the odds of it launching as a buggy fucking mess?

t.former fan of the dev

TL;DR: Don't get your hopes up.

You can always replay arcanum and age of decadence.

I could play them for the first time, even.

I embedded it specifically because there are subtitles on Youtube and this video is mostly dialogue.

I remember watching video where the guy visited their studio. It was kinda sad. There were tons of awards on the walls for Gothic series but nothing for their newer titles.

The impression I got was that they have no idea what they are doing and Gothic was their lucky moment they try to recreate ever since by making clones of it over and over again.
But I'm still sucker for their games

God knows if they have the magic touch still. The first Risen was good, though the last third is clearly rushed. Risen 2 and 3 are dogshit. So, yeah, caution is the way to go here, though I don't think they're still capable of making anything to rival Gothic 2.

Also, is posting fucked up for anyone else?

That really is sad.
I am surprised that all their games are LITERALLY GOTHIC but worse. I really need to replay Gothic 2 some time.
I hear even G3 is worth it when patched and modded. Is that true or simply people in denial?

Denial, G3 is not irredeemable garbage

How the fuck did that got in there?
G3 is garbage don't touch it

Go figure.

First Risen is alright though

Yes, replying to a post opens a new tab for everyone I've talked to or seen discussing it.

That's a nice webbum. I'm too old to be swayed by a good looking non-gameplay trailer though. Reality never lives up to expectations. Can't even tell what this is, other than it almost looks like an industrial The Witcher-type RPG.

Fucked up how? You mean how a new tab opens every time you try to reply to someone?
I have no idea about them still having the magic touch. I mean Risen 2 had some really neat ideas but the execution is utter shit, and I haven't touched or heard anything about Risen 3. In fact this is the first time I'm actually aware of it existing.

the story was abysmal, and the gameplay was 100% like 2 /maybe the magic was new i don't remember/
they were back to 3 camps though :^)

What the fuck is porchmonkey doing?

Yeah, it's driving me insane.

And that's the problem, they seem incapable of recreating what they had in Gothic 1,2 and the first Risen. I mean, I hope they don't fuck it up, but what's the chances of that happening in this day and age?

That should tell you everything you need to know.

The Gothic 2 devs are long gone.
Most left with Gothic 3 and JoWoods fuck-ups to release the game unfinished.

what did he mean by this

This. The gameplay and feeling of the setting of Risen 1 felt more like a sequel to Gothic 1 & 2 than Gothic 3 did. Risen 2 was just weird. Kinda like they took the worst, clunckiest parts of other action RPGs and put them in their game. I still can't beleive that was supposed to be the same setting and characters just a few years later.