An example, to preface:

An example, to preface:
steamcommunity.com/search/users/#text=covfefe

Now onto the discussion:
Why do so many people on platforms where they can change their name (especially on Steam) change their name incredibly frequently, sometimes daily? Why are so many people incapable of a consistent name?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/Xela
twitter.com/AnonBabble

One reason Because they can
If a service gives you a liberal way to do something other services wouldn't allow you to, of course you're gonna do it. But ALSO–

They're attention whores who need to let the world know that they now want to be called something else.
Similar to those "Lavish" folks who buy worthless shit only to show off. No one is stopping them and it gives them gratification. Vain? Shallow? Yes, but no one is telling them "No."

I think people change their names a lot to stay anonymous in a sense, o they don't have to hold onto any one particular identity

It's really the opposite, through a shifting identity they maintain more anonymity.

There's a large number of games that directly integrate steam community IDs into in-game names, so people name themselves whatever joke names they want at the time like stacking 3-deep with your friends and naming yourselves James May, Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond.

If you keep running into the same fuckers you can continue to change your name to avoid them recognizing you, for better or worse, as well.

Because I have the freedom to do so? Valve may be Jews, but they know how to shit on their competitors with shit like this.

I'm speaking from experience here. It's been this way since the MySpace days. Let's call it a draw and say it's both.

Because shitposting is fun and the people who need to know who you are already know it is you.

That's true, I suppose I've seen it occur both ways

People also change it often because their names are always jokes or in-jokes in their groups.
There are plenty of reasons.

Of course, never said mine was the only reason!

It's attention whoring when they keep the same name but change it to add fluff to it, like symbols, foreign text or little messages.

I've stopped playing games because I can't decide on a steam account name. I realize I can change the name at any time but the account name is forever and it bothers the hell out of me. I feel like I change too often and don't truly love anything so coming up with an account name is pretty hard. I imagine people change them so often because they change too.

I don't mind people changing their names so much. It's kinda gay. I have a few friends that change their usernames and avatars often on Steam, and I forget who they are. Most of the people I knew that did that are long gone off of my friend's list though.

No, the people that I can't stand are ones like in your search there that name themselves stuff like, "Covfefe (idling), Cofveve (Away), Covfefe (Looking to get Pozzed). I can't stand that shit, and I hate anyone who does that. Changing your username is one thing, but doing it constantly throughout the day to express your mood is so fucking gay.

Oh my god, tell me about it!

Why is pedophilia so pervasive on 8ch?

because it keeps fucking normalfags out we don't need that filth here.

The whole pedo, hebe, adult or whatever nonsense doesn't make any sense to begin with. People are attracted to physical characteristics than can be present on a wide variety of girls at a wide variety of ages.

I'm not speaking out against pedophilia, I'm all for it. I'm just asking why it's so pervasive.

I have a regular name that I use for most things, but it's fun to play around with joke names with friends

No wonder it's shit

Why in the world would you be for pedophilia? Drawings are fine but no one should be supporting actual pedophilia and the acts associated with it.

Kek fence hitter outs himself as full pedo.

fuck sideways

The absolute only real answer

Maybe facebook is more up your speed.

How in the world is saying you shouldn't support pedophilia being a pedophile? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Fucking animals or even thinking about it is also so fucking pervasive as well, why is it acceptable for someone to think fucking animals is okay? It's like thinking its okay to fuck children. Shit aint right, but that doesn't mean one has more right than the other. It's basically the same fucking thing yet fucking furries believe they have more rights.

That is attention whoring by definition and the equivalent of women dying their hair in stupid fantasy colors

Philia means like/love/obsession, not rape or forced involuntary molestation

Look-but-don't-touch is a good motto.

Normalfag fuck off

I have a sort-of-fear of recognition. Even false names are too much identity for me, so I change them often so nobody remembers me.
If something allows me to change my name freely I change it nearly every time I play, as I do not like to be known or remembered.

This.

You guys are clearly getting way more worked up about this and caring more about it than the people who do it.

I'm actually a bit jealous, I have 2 different circles of Steam friends and many of them are very talkative with me, almost to the point of annoyance replying to everyone. Would be nice to be free of that for a bit, but I like them too much to just ditch them.

Gotta keep up with those dank memes, I guess. Most of the names in my recent list are from literally years ago. I have my usual one and one I switch to for Rivals of Aether online tournaments because my regular name isn't allowed. I don't really get it. A good username is kind of comfy to have. It's like a warm bed, but for your profile.

>>>/cuckchan/
>>>/YouTube/

>>>/suicide/
Next time I'll be sure to put it in quotes so the autism patrol knows I'm not being serious.

Ironic retardation is still retardation. Shut the fuck up and leave the site. Being dead would be better than being stuck as you. You fucking mongoloid.

Is that why you're in the "special" classes? (I made sure to put special in quotes for you so you know I'm making fun of you)

this is why i do it

steamcommunity.com/id/Xela
Well look at this

there is nothing remotely interesting about that profile

What about it?

I just can't settle on one so I change from time to time to see if it's good for me or not.

Wait a minute, are you the guy from that thread about did i spook you a while ago?

>absolute shit taste and shit opinions even horsefaggotry

If I come up with a funny idea for a name, I'm gonna use it.
What's the big deal? My friends know who I am. Why does this have to be some huge emotional deal like I'm changing my whole self and identity, as you put it?
If you don't stop blasting all your "friends" with your worthless drama, they'll stop dealing with your shit one day.

How's your first week on Holla Forums coming along?