Hover: Revolt of (ugh) """Gamers"""

Is this garbage? I love Naganuma, but I wish he had better taste in games.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/hideki-naganuma
docs.google.com/uc?id=0BzM-xUYDI_hvMzNWS0hMRjlfUmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I forgot all about this kickstarter game. Seems it was funded back in 2014 and set for 2015 but had troubles and was finally released today. Over a 2 year delay from it's original set date. It just seems like common practice for kickstarter games to be immeasurably delayed or never coming out at all.

It still looks like they belong in a Sketchers shoe commercial or that Sketchers cartoon Zevo-3

I was excited in this 'game' for only one reason: The soundtrack.

I couldn't give any less of a shit about the game itself.
Is the soundtrack good? Worth downloading?

Naganuma put up the tracks on his soundcloud. They're pretty nice, but I wouldn't buy a game for them alone.
soundcloud.com/hideki-naganuma

That said.. I did back this game and I put a few hours into it. I haven't seen what they've changed in the past few months, but I was kind of enjoying what I'd played. The "Gamer" gimmick is pretty obnoxious, but the gameplay itself is good, if just a bit too floaty. Visuals might grow on you, or they might make your eyes bleed.

Basic gist of the game is that you explore areas looking for collectibles, posters to spray over (no spray painting mini game), cop drones to lure, and some other little activities. NPCs also give you missions, most of them races, some of them "Gameball" challenges, where you play GOTTAGOFAST Basketball. Doing these things gets you XP that unlocks slots which you can equip with different tiers of upgrades to give you more speed, higher jumps, and other shit. It's not super deep, but you'll be able to tell the difference between a fresh character and an upgraded one.

Sense of momentum and movement is pretty nice. It's relaxing just to cruise around the huge city grinding and flying off shit at top speeds.

The only way to know is to try it for yourself. Here's an early alpha.
docs.google.com/uc?id=0BzM-xUYDI_hvMzNWS0hMRjlfUmM
JET SET RADIOOO

Oh, also there's online multiplayer and a sort of ranking system where you can't access certain areas or later zones until you've built up enough rank by leveling and then doing specific story missions.

I just bought it.
It's shit.
I was looking forward to this one but waited for it to be out of early access.
I reckon it's a victim of early access because from the little I've played, it feels fucking unfinished

The visuals are atrocious and I noticed this when it was in development too. Everything is too dark, day looks light night. Everywhere looks the same and everything you want to see is barely visible

Also it controls like shit, half the time I got anywhere, I felt as if I was abusing the game. It practically controls like a shooter. It's as if they didn't design the city with the games controls in mind and all the tricks/parkour elements were so fucking shallow and barely woth the effort. I don't know what the point in the fucking slide move is when all it does is slow you down.

The online multiplayer seems to work in a similar way to GTA5 where you can select a mission and then wait for another player to show up that can join if they want to. Of course the this can only happen if they happen to run across you waiting to start the mission, as far as I could tell you can't see where players are doing this unless you happen to run across them. Not that it's too easy to tell with everything being so difficult to identify in this game.

How well does it run? I saw someone complaining it ran like shit not too long ago.

Well, the moment I saw it was linux playable, I convinced one of my buddies to get it for me. Installing right now to see how fun it is.

So how is it?

Is it fun?

That's, left to right
two furries, a two hipsters, a generic xenofag, a ripOFF and rainbow hair.

I don't see how any of that is a good image to show off the game.

They targeted gamers.

Gamers.

We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.

We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.

We'll spend most if not all of our free time min maxing the stats of a fictional character all to draw out a single extra point of damage per second.

Many of us have made careers out of doing just these things: slogging through the grind, all day, the same quests over and over, hundreds of times to the point where we know evety little detail such that some have attained such gamer nirvana that they can literally play these games blindfolded.

Do these people have any idea how many controllers have been smashed, systems over heated, disks and carts destroyed 8n frustration? All to latter be referred to as bragging rights?

These people honestly think this is a battle they can win? They take our media? We're already building a new one without them. They take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. They think calling us racist, mysoginistic, rape apologists is going to change us? We've been called worse things by prepubescent 10 year olds with a shitty head set. They picked a fight against a group that's already grown desensitized to their strategies and methods. Who enjoy the battle of attrition they've threatened us with. Who take it as a challange when they tell us we no longer matter. Our obsession with proving we can after being told we can't is so deeply ingrained from years of dealing with big brothers/sisters and friends laughing at how pathetic we used to be that proving you people wrong has become a very real need; a honed reflex.

Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing you did in all of this was to challange us. You're not special, you're not original, you're not the first; this is just another boss fight.

If all they can do game wise is make shitty games on kickstarter I think we're good.

Well I am having fun. The thing is, I'm grinding my face into a blender trying to get these top speed races. I love the speed, the movement feels fast as fuck boi

Once you get a feel for the controls, it's pretty comfy and satisfying to bounce around and powerslide around corners. The missions and storyline aren't much to write home about and the city design leaves something to be desired, though.

As something to play every once in a while for a few hours, it's alright. Compared to the original JSR it controls pretty well.

What about performance?

I didn't encounter any noticeable stuttering or framedrops and I was running it on very high settings and streaming it at the same time so I guess it runs alright. The big problem is the look of the game. The colors are a little too intense and bright and the character art is just a couple steps above deviantart sonic OC.

You mean the SJW pasta mocking gamergate that goons and ledditors like to cream themselves over by posting it everywhere?

Nah I'm continuing this after playing more

It seems like the idea is that you go as fast as possible and attempt to keep your speed by doing tricks and all that. Standard stuff except I hope you like the feeling of slowing down because that's the whole fucking game.

I've got to 2 areas so far. The 1st is the giant city which is an ugly clusterfuck where you'll end up going everywhere by abusing the walljump mechanic. The sewer level is specifically designed for races and is far less open as it's mostly corridors. You think that would help but the controls fuck it. Going round any corner will cause you to loose all your speed and there doesn't seem to be a way around it. Every time I think I can do something decent in this game it just doesn't work. For example I thought that the point would be to wallrun on the corners to maintain your speed but instead the game just spazzes out if you try. I then tried sliding and then jumping but that just causes you to just jump in the direction you're already going but with even less mid-air control.

Half the time it seems like I'm fighting the games levels. The sewer corridors I \ mentioned have a bump in the middle or all of them that slows you down massively and causes your character to run diagonally. Don't try jumping over them because your jump is massive and floaty and you barely have any control over the hight.

Also the game's bugged to fuck right now so if anybody leaves the server, the mission you're on will just end so nice early access there. The whole game feels like it's still in beta

It's annoying because the potential is there. With better level design, tweaked controls and visuals that aren't fucking gloomy and dark even in the day then it would be fun as hell.

The soundtrack has some good tracks though.

gg redditors also created it out of lack of self-awarenes anyways

I remember Jet Set Radio being a lot like that.

My question is: is it worth buying right now? It seems like the answer is no, but some more input would be helpful.

It looks neat. I cant wait for a speed run to see how nifty this bitch is. Bump I guess.

Yes but in JSR (which also doesn't control all that well) you aren't going Sonic speed and jumping Like it's Jedi knight. You can also jump off at an angle on rails which you can't do in this.
Also JSR had FAR better level design.
For example in Hover, there's a road at the top of the city full of speed boosts. At the end of the road, there's a ramp that presumably you're supposed to go up. Sounds fine in theory except that you can't make it all the way up and just stop. If you slide then you hit a bump in the ground and go flying into the air.

Incompetence like that is seen throughout the whole game. (see the sewer examples in the last post) This feels like it's still in early access.

When you begin races, the game doesn't actually tell you where the 1st checkpoint is until the race has already began

Also the Slide move would be fun as shit if you could use it to change the direction of your jump. Unfortunately, it does the exact opposite.

I was looking forward to Hover but it seems like it isn't really worth it. What are some alternatives? I'll probably just end up replaying Jet Set Radio

Looks like a slowed down and boring version of Zineth.