Whats this board opinion on Godot

Whats this board opinion on Godot.

*CLANG CLANG*

ask the game dev thread, dumb ass.

Asking Holla Forums about making games is like asking /bane/ for tips on pitching, funding, casting, directing, scripting, filming, editing, advertising, and releasing a commercial film.

I've been waiting for it to finish downloading for what feels like forever, I'm starting to think it's just never going to be done.

Its like 60MB user.
youre doing something wrong.

It's your best option…if you're a poorfag.

(Seriously though, it's the best general option for open source.)

Half-decent for 2D top-down shit. However if you're a decent programmer that shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.
Sage since you really should have asked this in the /agdg/ thread or board. I know the board has a thread on this.

He's got good taste in coffee.

This is not actually that bad of an idea you know. I would watch a a full length sequel staring CIA.

the only thing I can say is, it can be ported to a lot of things but consoles, but the devs have said they could bother porting the binaries to the nintendo switch if someone is willing wants to port it to the nintendo switch

PlayStation 3. They'll probably add PlayStation 4 in 3.0.

Should've put this in the AGDG thread, but it's alright. Only use it for 2D at this moment because Godot 3 NEVER fucking EVER.

Explain plz.

It was supposed to come out in December, but there's no stable release in sight. It has some really nice features though.

I'll say what nobody else will.

Everyone wants this engine to be great because it's FOSS and clearly has potential, but everyone knows it's not really that great. It'll work for simple games but Unity and Unreal are just more powerful, and even Gamemaker of all things is more polished.

Godot is too new, it hasn't had enough time to grow and mature. You should definitely keep an eye on it and see where it goes, but it's difficult to recommend when more capable engines are also free.

3.0 is coming "soon" (they promised beta builds "soon" a month ago), which supposedly is a massive upgrade to the 3D engine that has advantages over Unity etc according to the developers. It also takes the opportunity to do compatibility breaking revamps of other parts of the engine, and adding support for C#. The update could make it a good alternative to proprietary engines, but it's hard to say before seeing it.

Needs better documentation and just an overall bigger community making learning content, harder engines are easier to use due to the abundance of youtube tutorials detailing every aspect.

It was actually alpha builds they promised but whatever.