"PREY" 2017

Bethesda absolutely fucking ruined this game right out of the gate by naming it "Prey."

It's a good enough game in its own right, at least enjoyable enough for one playthrough to be worth the time spent. It has flaws, of course (like the complete lack of difficulty) but the "play the game your way" thing is pretty neat, and being able to get through the game in various ways (human only, typhon only, stealth only, aggro only, etc.) is pretty neat. There's a lot of fun to be had experimenting with the various powers and what you can do with them.

But regardless of that, the name choice is just absurd. It has nothing to do with the other 2006 game named Prey, and the name has no bearing on what this game is in any way whatsoever.

It's a mind-bogglingly retarded decision on Bethesda's part.

It's just a bad game OP

I'd argue that it's about the journey, not the destination.

But that's just me. I saw the "it was just a simulation" thing coming from a mile away, so it wasn't a surprise and didn't feel like the rug was being pulled out from under me.

I can imagine that if you didn't actually read all the lore, i.e. about Project Cobalt, how the ending could feel cheap.

From my perspective, I was more interested in the lore than the ending. Finding out who/what Morgan really was, what she was like before the apartment sim and what lead up to the containment breach. I wanted to know more about Talos 1 and the game world, mostly because I knew that the ending wouldn't be fantastic.

When I finally got to the end, I wanted to experiment with some of the "moral" choices, but the game just isn't good enough (to me) for a second playthrough. I explored every damn nook and cranny and found every possible thing I could find in my first playthrough and there's just no compelling reason for me to go through it again.

That's true. Of course retards here would hate fucking stalker if it had been published by Bethesda. But slapping another unrelated game's name onto something is definitely more harm than good.

Ubisoft is anti-white

are you in the right thread

Daily reminder that all the Prey hate threads come from the trannie on the steam forums, who believes Bethesda is made of rapists and homophobics.

The Holla Forumsirgin starts to admit that all the hate was from butthurt spergs.

I liked it and I don't care about the other Prey so whatever.

To be honest I got bored within the first 30 minutes. Maybe I'll give it another shot, but there was certainly nothing there that convinced me to sink time into it.

At this point you're a living penny arcade comic. Yes anything that in your headcanon could be made better, based on your word of course, means the game is shit.

Now go back playing Mass Effect Andromeda ironically, or some sophisticated animu grindshit.

This is a sentiment I tend to share but maybe not for the same reasons.

There are numbers in between 1 and 10 on a 1-to-10 scale, games aren't either "shit" or "a masterpiece."

Too many good (but not FANTASTIC) games are considered "shit" by people like this and it's frustrating.

Yeah fuck Ubisoft, man.
They ruined Fallout, Hitman and Deus Ex too.

yea, but so are weebs.

Consider the following: Brand erasure to spite the actual developers of Prey who were able to escape from Bethesda's clutches.

Isn't that shooting yourself in the foot to spite your face?

They're sentencing Arkane Studio's game to a fate of poor sales and bad press just to get a childish dig in on a company they no longer deal with

The should have named it CockgobllerShock Eletric Cucckaloo

It's kind of silly how Prey will always be known as 'that game where you can turn into a coffee cup'. I guess that's what EA felt like when they cancelled TimeSplitters 4 because they couldn't find a viable way to market it as it apparently had no particularly unique selling points (for them). It's that kind of game where there's a lot of little things that make the game work but none of them are particularly marketable, while the premise and setting weren't strong enough to function as a substitute in that regard. The psychological thriller feeling of the marketing footage wears off after two hours into the game anyways.

i can believe it

i mean bethesda still lets Todd Howard make games so they aint the brightest bunch

Kind of agree. I liked the game, but after I finished I reloaded my pre-endgame save and experimented with the typhon powers. Generally speaking they just weren't nearly as efficient as shotgun+combat focus, so I'm not really tempted to try a whole playthrough on them.

Otherwise like every other semi-open-world game, it's just not something I want to ever play again. There's not enough different and a huge laundry list of repetition the second time around

Total length is well under 20 hours (completionist), which I feel is far too short.

Sounds legit, considering zenimax used journo connections to ensure Obsidian misses the bonus
Bethesda was also responsible for the QA (or lack thereof) on New Vegas.

What do you expect, it's Bethesda. The same company that appropriated Fallout and fucked with its lore rather than just make their own shit.
The fact that they allowed New Vegas to be made was lightning in a bottle.

Thank you for letting us know that the newest turd from Bethesda is, in fact, a turd. What a useful and informative thread.

KYS

That's probably the third time I've heard that phrase misused today.

"lightning in a bottle" refers to something amazing that exists purely by coincidence and is difficult or impossible to replicate. No one has been trying to replicate New Vegas, nor would it be impossible to do so, they simply choose not to.

What are you upset about?

But user, all these major (((websites))) are converting from a star rating system to a like/dislike so obviously there's no room for a middle ground and we can only absolutely love or absolutely revile something.

The Typhon powers aren't strong, but they can definitely lead to interesting situations.

I didn't upgrade weapons in my playthrough and didn't get combat focus so I used Typhone powers for most enemies and it was pretty fun. Once you realize you can use the mind control power on the Nightmare, you can really clean house.

Other than that, Mimicry + Kinetic Blast is always fun. Dragging corpses around for Phantom Genesis is amusing.

When you can simply run up to everything in slowmo (for them), 1-shot regular phantoms, 2-3 shot special phantoms, and even take down a nightmare in less than a full clip while effectively stunlocking him, powers on a cooldown with a high cost that don't even kill those things don't really seem very appealing.

The electric power was actually fairly helpful when the military operators start appearing, since it stuns them long enough to finish with a wrench at effectively no cost, unlike using the stun gun which I nearly ran out of ammo for doing the same thing the first time. Mimicry 1 was great for getting into certain places. The powers weren't useless, they just weren't as good as the direct approach AND more difficult and expensive.

Psyshock III will OHK any phantom and do serious damage to anything other than the Nightmare.

Friendly typhon get a 5x health boost over enemies so they'll always win a fight unless the AI tards out.

It's not faster to force enemies to brawl it out, but it's more fun to watch.

Is there any connection to Prey at all?

Having something other than a like/dislike reaction requires taste, experience and intelligence, none of which a games journalist has. This will also make it easier to relate to their audience.

The constant retarded blog posting.

No.

Actually I think it goes more like this: They wanted to make a space aliens game, they are pathologically afraid to start a new IP, and they owned the rights to Prey, which happens to be a space aliens game.

While they do occasionally make a new IP, it only ever seems to be in a genre that they own nothing in.

I dunno anything about Prey, but couldn't you say the same thing about DOOM?

Bethesda make a game that doesn't really fit a series, but still use the name of the series for it's marketing value. It's like what move makers are doing, obtaining & abusing recognized titles to turn a buck.

gotta back them up on this one user.
it's not cool when people talk about equality but then act racist towards white people. that's ALSO unacceptable.

You're only allowed to discuss Holla Forums approved cuckime weebshit, anything AAA will be saged you fucking kike cuck faggot jew nigger shill.

yeah well you kinda deserve it for acting like white niggers everytime the subject of bombing or abusing colored people comes up

Nu-Prey is just prop hunt in space.

We've already had multiple threads shilling nuPrey and we've even got a fucking thread shilling Dishonored, you zenimax shills aren't even trying to hide it.

It's a shame how me and so many people I know can't even get invested in the game as an okay game in a sea of shit because of its connections to (((Zenimax))) and disgusting brand jewery. I'm bewildered as to why you'd throw away a new IP just to shit on Prey and get 10 purchases from the people who really wanted Prey 2 but don't already hate the company to the point of never giving you a cent.

The fuck? Who asked for a game where you controlled objects that weren't fun to control? This isn't prop hunt, why can't they just make you a small ball or something? I genuinely don't understand what the point of this is or how anybody could see it as fun.

I was OP for a thread right after nuPrey launched and got excited because of a positive review for it. I got called a shill and rightly so, because then I actually played it. Pretty much this user's experience was what awaited me. Once the gimmick-gun novelty wears off, you realize how fantastically same-y the game feels and gets bored. Ain't got nothing to do with butthurt, although I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see a leaked copy of the real sequel appear on the internets some day.

Have they officially removed Denuvo like they did with DOOM yet?

Come on, don't be boring.

The first half could very well be some of Arkane's best (right under Dark Messiah) but the second half involves copious amounts of backtracking and doing sidequests taking you to random parts of the station you have already explored thoroughly, and by then the combat doesn't really hold up anymore because of how OP you tend to be after that point.

Mimicking is mostly used to transform into small objects and get through small cracks or sneak past enemies, you can upgrade it to take control of drones and turrets. I hear ther's some neat shit you can pull off if you blast yourself as an object with Kinetic Blast, however.

Fuck off shill

That's it? Just do drones and turrets then. Why the fuck would anybody want to control a picture frame?

I did say to try and be somewhat creative and innovative with your posts, didn't I? Like, try making several arguments to get a certain point across, or get the readers to activate their almonds. Establish a reason for your post existing in the first place. No-effort posts usually get ignored like dust in the wind by most people that have something better to do unlike me, and you're mostly wasting your own time if you think it actually serves a higher purpose.

So in other words, try to put some effort into your posts. After all, you don't want to set a bad example, do you? Think about it, you might be subtly enforcing the mentality on other users and lurkers that effortless posting is the way to go, and soon such behavior might even backfire on you, no matter how justified you think you are in this situation. Improving the world starts with you. I'm not sure why you're telling me to 'fuck off' or how you intend to make that happen, or if you actually think I'll 'fuck off' if you just say that to my face without being given any reason to do so, or why I am even a shill in this case. It's for the best if you explain yourself in the future to avoid these kind of potentially confusing situations.

I found it rather useful for sneaking past enemies. Honestly, mimicking objects would be a great mechanic for a pure stealth game, Dishonored kind of did it by letting you possess humans and animals, but there'd be some great potential to be found if you built a whole game around that concept.

Fuck off shill.

Reported for being a nigger.

You Zenimax shills are obvious as fuck.

You're no better.

Fun game.

Stay mad hipsters.

Go read a book.

Where is the argument here, I can't find the arguments.

tee eff double-yew finding out you're a shill

How do I contact zenimax to get my paycheck? Since apparently every other poster ITT is *also* a shill, I'm hoping one of you knows, because I'm pretty sure zenimax doesn't have my information and I think I deserve a paycheck for all of this shilling I'm apparently doing.

tee heff double-hue in such deep cover that even I, myself, had no idea I was a shill until these kindly redpilled anons told me

If you noticed, I never replied directly to a single post of yours, yet you act like I have.

If you're doing it for free you're truly pathetic.

I think you're paranoid, duder.

I need empirical evidence of a shill ITT, otherwise you should go go your gamergate safe space thread.

Downvote

You just had to go and give them a justification to not adhere to any standards anymore, didn't you?

WHY AM I NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE THINGS!?

But you don't like it, you're just shilling it out of some stupid brand loyalty or to be contrarian, or both.

I told you, I liked it the first time through.

I think it's a solid 7/10 and worth ~$20

downloaded pirate copy.
installed
played 30 seconds
uninstalled

I'm actually playing through this right now and just saw this thread. Torrented, of course, no fucking WAY would I ever want to pay for this.

To make a long story short, the combat is clunky, everything is slow (especially at the beginning), the first quarter of the game drags on and on, and you have no real good tools to deal with Phantoms other than explosive canisters and using tons of gloo. The FOV is godawful, just like you'd expect a consolized game to have, everything is just too easy even on hard once you understand how to approach enemies (I started off on nightmare difficulty, but that wasn't a challenge just an unbearable timewaster, because enemies become nothing but heavy hitting bullet sponges; standard bethesda "difficulty").

The only things I can say good about it are that the designs for the environment are alright (a future 60s vibe, but it STILL doesn't fit with the theme of the game) and the levels actually are constructed around accomplishing things multiple ways, most of the time. Combat does become more entertaining later, but I mean LATER, as in at least halfway through the game when you've dumped dozens of neuromods into your skills and powers and thereby have a (much stronger) arsenal and creative ways to deal with shit later. I cannot overstate how fucking slow and weak you are at the start of the game, everything is a pain in the ass, you move and act like molasses and can't even keep mimics in center screen, you run out of stamina with like 6 swings of a wrench, you walk like a mummy.

Once you have the ability to take down a nightmare in an entertaining fashion then the game becomes alright, but it's still extremely plebby, clunky shit. Don't even get me started on the weapons, you need to wait half the game until you've used enough neuros and gun kits to finally make your shotgun a decent damage dealer. A fucking pistol does maybe 15% total damage to a human…with a fucking headshot. You do more damage to a person by swinging a wrench than by shooting them in the skull. Seriously.

FUCK OFF TODD

Because you're being a grade-SSS moron about it. We could be talking about the game, but because you replied to other grade-S morons in a shitposting language they thoroughly understand, everybody else is gladly willing to drag you down into a spiral of trying to make the other mad where you're the tango master. Seriously, that shit doesn't do anybody anything good. Do you realize how much damage you've caused?

But that's how you tell shills from people who actually like their games.

Why would anyone want to talk about a zenimax game?

You're a fucking idiot, kill yourself.

Honestly with how many people bitching how hard it is, it got easy by the time I could craft neromods. When I got the psychic water quest done, then it was pissy easy. I had a shitload of medkits by that time, so the only time that I would die is if I forgot to use the quick button to use one. Seriously this fucking game need a survival mode or at least make the medkit work like well fed. And remove the water quest altogether or make the psi water work like well fed.

It's responsive in most respects and the enemies do zip around quite a bit, the only problem I have in this regard is that moving around in combat is kind of slow, what with backpedaling being slower than moving forwards and the enemies in general being faster than you (when you aren't running away, that is).

Nigger, the stungun will stun them for a good 4 seconds, and you can find the stungun right at the start of the game. A sneak attack with a wrench will knock them down, with nerf darts and throwing objects letting you distract them, and if they fall over a railing it's an instant kill. And even then charged wrench attacks have a random chance to knock Phantoms down, on top of you being able to deal with Phantoms using a wrench if you recover stamina behind a corner. Heck, throwing items at Phantoms can also knock them over like in Dark Messiah. Recycler Charges can dish out some serious damage. Then there's also the fact stunned enemies (by GLOO or other means) receive more damage. And even then the starting weapons are adequate enough at taking them out, the pistol is quite powerful when it comes to dealing a lot of damage from long range while the shotgun is good for close range fighting. This WEBM was made on Nightmare difficulty with no security skills upgraded and only one weapon upgrade on the shotgun. Thermal/Electric/Etheric Phantoms only start regularly appearing later on when you should have amassed a decent amount of upgrades, otherwise you can always run past them. Fire up those fucking neurons and realize the possibilities.

A FOV slider was added in a patch, but you can even edit the FOV in the release version. Look up Prey on PCGamingWiki to figure out how.

Do you just like power fantasies in general? Because LATER it all goes to shit when you've become TOO powerful and nothing poses a fucking threat anymore, as the enemy encounter design no longer keeps up with your rising power. At the start of the game when you don't have all your powers and shit it became interesting since you had to improvise and think twice before heading out to die. A thought process lacking post-Cargo Bay. Nightmares shouldn't even be such a joke with Combat Focus and a fully upgraded shotgun. Like you said the game isn't hard at all once you realize how it works, but blatant lack of balance shouldn't be the answer to encourage some creativity out of your players.

Jesus Todd I thought we made you faggots afraid of us after the salt party.

A REMINDER THAT YOU LITERALLY CANNOT HAVE PREY AND NUPREY INSTALLED AT THE SAME TIME on steam BECAUSE THEY BOTH INSTALL TO THE SAME LOCATION

this is a problem with every shock game except maybe the first one but that one is only difficult because lol unavoidable damage shit

Nah these guys are probably from rpgcodex, their standard of proof of shilling is much higher over there.

Wow, the amount of *autistic screeching* faggots in here. I'd understand if the game wasn't cracked but you can just get the shit it and see how good/bad it is don't try if you want good combat, not leveldesign, but no, gotta sperg because "stop liking what I dislike" underage mentality.

Arkane actually mentioned in an interview they were planning to bring back a lot of the systems cut right before release in a Survival Mode patch of some sorts. Removed stuff includes traumas like broken bones, bleeding, oxygen drain when your suit was too damaged in zero-G sections, which you'd have to fix with a special medicine or with a Medical Operator. Weapon durability also used to be a thing as hinted by some tooltips, and the amount of shit you could craft at Fabricators also used to be limited, and could only be increased by finding fabrication plans of those items scattered throughout the station, which is why you find so many of them. A bunch of modders have also been working on several mods which bring back some of the cut content on top of introducing some rebalancing mods, so who knows what'll happen in the future.

I don't think the original Prey was ever on Steam at all, considering they had to pull all copies from the shelves and digital shelves after losing some kind of lawsuit.

They did leave, but then Mark made a Doom cyclical last year that only encouraged them to come. Cyclicals are cancer that only encourages shills to come onboard.

codexfags only like goon rpgs like morrowind, vtmb and fallout and pst.

original prey was on steam, funnily enough when id games got added to steam if you tried registering a doom 3 key you got prey, but prey itself would report an invalid cd key. prey got removed years ago because there were no more cd keys.

But morrowalk is shit.

goon rpgs are all shit, but you see threads for those games here all the time, don't you? they're infiltrated long ago.

that and brand name recognition doesn't need anything behind it to turn a profit

Please ignore the last line I at first meant to ask for proof but then I just got the answer myself and forgot to remove the line.

Tell that to thi4f.

What

Ah fuck, you're right. That's rubbing salt in the wound even harder.

Beats the hell out of duplicate threads spamming the catalog.

No. You obviously don't understand what I mean by clunky. The speed at which combat takes place, the movement of your character and the enemies, the feel of the weapons, the damage they do (or don't), how much kick and weight your guns and tools have, and so on. It's all shit. You cannot even reliably dodge the Phantom's shots until you throw some neuros into movement speed, you're just too fucking slow, which requires you glooing them or peeking from a corner, or both.
If you want to see what a nice, sleek, responsive shooter is, play Titanfall 2. That's how a shooter should be. This game is definitely not that.

I KNOW those, faggot. It does not detract from my point. Everything is still slow and dull, and simply because you can find the stun gun early game doesn't suddenly mean "oh there's all these great ways to deal with them" because you're assuming everyone should find it. All the "ways" you talk about still boil down to either using explosives to deal damage or glooing them and wrenching them, the rest of it is icing. Anything else isn't "early game."
Not unless they're within five feet of them. It was one of the first things I tried in the Trauma ward. I through everything I could pick up in the trauma lobby, and the phantoms NEVER noticed it unless they were two feet from impact. Fucking retarded. The goddamn HUNTRESS doesn't even fucking work like the devs intended, rather than getting distracted by the impact of the foam darts, the phantoms would immediately home in on the firing point of the dart (i.e. me) even if I shot a dart ten feet away from them when they were 50m across the room. They simply telepathically knew every time where the dart came from, even if I shot it behind them. That is so fucking stupid.
No it isn't. I'm only playing on hard, and without any upgrades it would take over two full mags to kill a phantom, even with sneak damage. Shotgun was shit too without upgrades. Did you not fucking read what I wrote? A pistol does LESS DAMAGE ON A HEADSHOT than a body shot with a wrench. FUCK THAT.

I'm thinking you're full of shit and a shill now.

The point was Bethesda once again making plebby shit and "forgetting" the most fucking basic of graphical options on a game because it was made for consoles. It's like neglecting to put in a brightness slider or audio slider or resolution choice. How many fucking games have they made, and they still "miss" something that should be in every game from the fucking start? Christ.

It barely poses a threat to begin with, it just takes fucking forever to kill anything unless you heavily upgraded something or are constantly glooing everything in sight. Gloo + upgraded shotgun is the most efficient, but I prefer to use powers to keep things interesting. The point was, you move way too slow at the start of the game. They shouldn't have made you move so fucking slow. It's ridiculous that you need neuromods to make it feel like you're walking at a normal speed, and even then that normal speed is "running". Can you believe that? There is walk, run, and sprint, and "run" is your default speed. When it feels like you're waltzing early game, that's you "running" without neuromods.

Bottom line, the game is flawed, it's precisely what I expected from a Bethesda shooter (although it is certainly better than any abortion they made in gamebryo, Bethesda usually makes far worse shooters than this, but then again it's Arkane who made it, and they sort of understand what they're doing). It's not something I would pay for or encourage anyone else to either. Especially not for dragging Prey's name through the mud, just to give us this.

Why is every Arkane fanboy a passive aggressive teenager? No, you're not impressing anyone. Fuck off.

I think sliding can work with dodging, unless video is with speed neruos.

sprinting is fine, but you can't sprint or slide in one direction and fire in another. That's the issue. Anyone who's played an FPS ever knows you want to dodge shots while putting rounds downrange yourself. Early game you strafe at the speed of a tortoise. Your best bet is to throw some gloo, duck behind something or otherwise move to avoid the shot, throw more gloo, move in with the wrench while trying to dodge phantom shots since they can still shoot while 'frozen'. Maybe sliding avoids those, I haven't tried.

Either way I'm long past early game and use more inventive methods, but I can fully understand why someone would try the game for 30 minutes and then uninstall. I almost did. All I can ask is that nobody pay for this game, it's not worth it for a list of reasons, not the least of which being

The normal strafing speed is slow but it certainly isn't if you sprint like I demonstrated in the WEBM I just posted, and even then there's plenty of ways to hitstun them so they don't fire anything at all.

There's also the fact that Phantoms aren't even that frequent early games, at that point you're mostly fighting mimics. I'm not arguing that Prey is the most responsive shooter out there, but not to the point of being actively detrimental.

If you don't explore you get the boot, I don't see the problem here.

it's just 9mm bro

I mentioned before that stunned enemies receive more damage, so you could stun an enemy with a stungun or glue them with a GLOO gun to deal bonus damage, or knock them down with a wrench. Psychic abilities like
Psychoshock and Fire Traps also help in this regard. And it may not seem like it, but the pistol does have a higher DPS than the shotgun, especially over longer ranges. Try using a pistol against a stunned Weaver/Technopath/Telepath and tell me how it works. Even on Nightmare it's quite effective.

The movement speed is adequate for these kind of games, the movement system in general is also quite well executed considering how similarly it feels to Dishonored which had some nice parkouring potential in its movement system. While I like going fast, I always took my time when playing Prey while exploring the levels, so the movement speed issue wasn't such an issue for me until later on when I had to backtrack all over the situation and I just wanted to get on with it as fast as possible. If you could simply circlestrafe their projectiles then the Phantoms' Kinetic Blasts wouldn't pose a threat at all.

No speed neuros were installed at that time. And gauging by the damage numbers I also hadn't even upgraded the shotgun at the time. That WEBM was also made on Nightmare mode, so three/four blasts of an unupgraded shotgun could kill a basic Phantom, without any other fancy side-effects. And you can find the shotgun quite early on by getting into the security station via the maintenance shafts.

Don't start making shit up now.

I don't even care for prey and would much rather have fucking prey 2 after what bethesda did to human head I'm never paying for anything they do again but holy fuck these faggots who want to shut down all discussion of every game like 99ce67 need to shut the fuck up or get gassed

that or maybe kill themselves after being proven to be a retard

i havent gotten around to playing it yet. but from what ive seen it looks like one of those games youll go back to once every couple of years to fuck around in.

While I did enjoy the game is accurate, the combat in the game is quite bad and it's not what the game is about. user provided valid criticism and you call that shutting down discussion, to me it looks like you're the one who is retarded.

Zenimax shills.

No such thing goy, take your pills.

You sound like the kind of fag that enjoys Mass Effect 3. Kill yourself.

He wrote fucking walls of text explaining his problems with the game, much longer than anyone else in this thread (who wasn't shilling for the game) and that's "shutting down discussion?" Jesus fuck, you're ten times worse than any faggot you think you're talking about. What he did was the exact opposite of shutting down discussion, you fucking jew. Your salty because he has an opinion you don't like and hypocritically want to shut up people like him by claiming anyone who doesn't praise the game is "shutting down discussion."

Fellate a shotgun you fucking troglodyte

You know he's a newfaggot for referencing other anons by ID names. The more I see this the more I'm convinced of it.

That sounds like stuff that would've been great on my FIRST PLAYTHROUGH.

Maybe with a few other rebalances (moving psi-focused neuromods to the Typhon side, making the Nightmare 10x stronger, removing the ability to fabricate neuromods) I could get some enjoyment out of another playthrough.

Fuck off Bethesda shills!