Rareware Thread

They're having a book soon, and it's gonna free. So I'm waiting on that. I booted up Viva Piñata, and started getting sad, seeing how it wasn't Microsoft who destroyed rare, but it was some of rares' incompetent employees who ultimately destroyed themselves. Yooka-Laylee proves that even when given full control, they'll find a way to ruin it, politics aside.

Anyways, someone mind making a MEGA of vid related? It's an interesting mini documentary on the development on the game. 2$ Million, and I'm sure as hell they didn't spend half of that. Very unfinished, even with bugs fixed and all.

Nah mate, it was Microsoft

It was both, but it was also that the people who made Rare…well, Rare left by then. After the N64, multiple Rareware employees left the company to join Retro Studios (Who then left the company for other games), form Free Radical Design (Who became Crytek UK, and then reformed as Dambuster Studios, under Deep Silver, when Crytek closed the division), or just get out of the game. Numerous developers who were in it since the 80s were tired of the industry by the time the 2000s rolled around, and I'm not just talking about Rare employees.

Both. I can't choose either.
Fuck. I'm gonna have to say Clickclock Woods, and then after that Mayahem Temple/Terrydactyland
Mumbo.
Treasure Trove Cove and Witchyworld.
It's hard to say, I personally don't mind it. Though other people just didn't want to expand. Playing YL. I can say this is infinitely better. YL was too big and it wasn't satisfying to explore.

Also, for those who thought the guy in the OP sucked too much cock. Here is something to wash away that sugarcoat.
If I don't complete the WEBM in an hour then someone else do it.

I heard "both" is the reason why Maxis and EA fucked up Spore

Why would you do this to me.

This vid is from someone who gets pretty SJW

That's why I'm converting it to a 12mb webm. Don't give him any views.

really could've gone without the spastic intro presentation.

Tell me about it. The webm is taking too long, so I'm just gonna MEGA the videos.

David Wise >>>>> Grant Kirkhope

This is how it should be, much like Donkey Kong County>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything rare has done since

I agree

seriously. the Battletoads arcade soundtrack alone blows everything Kikehoip has ever done.

Donkey Kong County>>>>Jet Force Gemini>Conker's Bad Fur day>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Banjo a shit>>>>>>anything rare has done since

damn forgot Killer Instinct

You know what, i can agree to that.

Call him CuckedDope.

Banjo not a shit, banjo is fun.>>12668537

It seems like the real talented developers left Rare a long ass time ago.
Much like most of the industry's studios these days.

Most of the talent is gone, replaced by political idelogues that either force anyone that disagrees with their bullshit out or ensures the veterans have little to no say so in the development of the game itself.

Example? Seems OK but he comes off so forced and fake sometimes.

The only reason why the talent existed in the first place was healthy culture that people wanted to contribute to and be a part of. You won't get that with kikes and anglo kikes fucking everything up.

Nuts & Bolts was fucking great, suck my dick N64 tardbabies.

Rare had a lot of great games come out after the Microsoft acquisition. Viva Pinata 1 and 2, PD0, Kameo were all fantastic. Microsoft wasn't as big of a problem as has been claimed, it seems that the Rare guys were just pedants who couldn't agree on things and constantly fought each other internally.

I'm hoping they announce something cool like a Rare all-star fighter in the style of Power Stone, or even Nuts & Bolts 2.

Where were you when Gregg Mayles roasted the fuck out of Kirkhope?

They shot down a new Killer instinct from rare and if you believe that one user from years ago, killed banjo three.

Not even Rare Replay's modern control scheme can save that backtracking mess of a game.

Except N&B was Banjo 3, as much as the N64 fanboys hate to admit it, it is the canonical third game.

But yeah, a new Killer Instinct from Rare would've been way better than the KI we got from the talentless douchebags at Iron Galaxy.

No, both of them are garbage, but at least Kirkhope had the DK Rap

By your logic, Diddy Kong Racing was the 0th BK game

You should strongly consider eating cyanide

You're telling me it wasn't?

Also this was the 3rd game

News tip: Having ear wax clogged in your ears doesn't make shit sound good

Perfect Dark is my favorite FPS.
Ironic since it's on console and I'm part of the autist crew against FPS on consoles.

News flash: Having rat feces for a brain doesn't make your taste any less shit

Coming up with lame insults doesn't make the garbage you're posting good

i found my old controller pak a couple years ago and popped PD into my 64 to relive some fun. i had two hundred and eighty days of gametime on my combat simulator profile alone. god i miss that game

Continuing to post here doesn't make your birth any less of a mistake

What a fucking idiot.

Games with my brother were the best times we ever had.
The PC emulted version with keyboard and mouse is pretty entertaining aswell.
Makes you wonder why it wasn't actually released on PC.
Imagine all the mods.

I miss his funky faze, I'm not saying his new stuff isn't good but he really pulled it home with this stuff and the DKC2 soundtrack. I can't believe it still has yet to be topped.

sega has given me hope that we might see it one day, since PC rereleases are getting more numerous and (largely) better in quality. knowing microsoft it'll be fucking win10 exclusive though

I think it goes to show how radically different games are made today vs the late 90s.

Back then you had the programming teams and the design teams part of the same studio. Today there is no programming teams because everyone uses third party game engines/SDKs to mass produce shit now. The big difference is back then the design guys and the programming guys could still contact eachother to make tweaks to make the design work or make the software work within the hardwares limits. Today, the design guys have to work around the game engines limits. They couldn't just call up Unity and say "Yo change this" .

Unfortunately the new way is significantly cheaper because today you can just axe the programming department entirely and just have the design guys run the entire show. Which in itself comes with issues

You know, every time I see posts like these, I think to myself "Man, I have the game on 360 and now even on Xbone, why have I not played it yet?" But every single time I start playing, I have trouble with the aiming system and how the cursor isn't centered all the time, and I remember why.

The YL Cuckumentary is like 2.15 GB. It's gonna take a while.

What the fuck

I think it's more than just that. Remember that very long post about Spyro's color design? You may have seen something similar about other old games. It seems that a lot more thought and effort went into designing games back then.

It's mostly AAA artists that still seem to do any thinking, you can tell by how full of detail the worlds are. Though from what I've heard, (((creative directors))) fuck them up too by being indecisive and having no idea what they're doing, so the assets and design gets spun up and over and backwards and fucked in the ass 500 times before reaching a final state. Concept art is often very interesting, it's just not allowed to be put into the game.

Kazooie struck a perfect balance of level size and things to collect. Tooie's levels were too large with too little and felt empty. Kazooie only had one minor instance of required backtracking, where every damn level in Tooie had to be revisited.
The level is challenging as hell and the music is catchy. The engine room can be frustrating, but so long as you do it first, it isn't too bad if you die. Honorable mentions to Click Clock Wood, Mad Monster Mansion, and Clanker's Cavern, but there really aren't any bad levels in the game.
She's a snarky bitch but an entertaining snarky bitch. That said, characterization isn't what makes the Banjo games as strong as they are.
It's a great remix of her lair theme that gets you pumped for the fight. The fact that the fight itself is very good certainly doesn't hurt.

My problem with Tooie was how much it breaks the core gameplay. There's so many minigames and cutscenes and gameplay altering mechanics that I felt like I was playing some demo disc collection more than I was playing the actual game.

it's one of the few shooters where enemies actually react dynamically to being shot instead of just canned flinch animations or, more commonly, nothing at all.

Are you trying to be Ironic? At least post the good songs from those games.

Chris Seavor said it directly in the Rare Replay documentaries that he didn't think Rare was the "Talent". He thought Rare was the studio culture and how they always were one upping themselves because of the Stampers rules regarding the barns and even banning them from sharing tech, even if it wasn't the most business sound way to do it but it produced results and a lot of one upmanship between the entire studio and Nintendo themselves. They even turned down an easy, bankable game with Tomorrow Never Dies to do Perfect Dark.

And it really showed with YL. There was no ambition to it at all to "One up" the genre and it felt like a dreary rehash including all the problems platformers got rid of in 6th gen. And if you compare it to a super ambitious project like Sonic Mania which is full of passion and trying to succeed the original Sonic Team at its height. It's kinda insulting and not the original Rare.

Rare never pitched one. They joked about it but it was one of the first IP's Rare talked about dropping to another studio because they felt they couldn't keep up with the Japanese or American studios and to them, KI was always Nintendo Of America's baby they were looking after and they wouldn't make a decision without Ken Lobb's input on it. So when he moved to MS and they followed. They never really asked or had to ask because MS managed to land Dead Or Alive as an exclusive and Soul Calibur 2 was coming in the next year. Never mind MS working close with SNK and ArcSys later in the consoles life.

It's the one thing that was always bullshit to me. Rare just wasn't interested. The main heads of KI at Rare were working on Perfect Dark and they wouldn't do it if Ken wasn't interested either. They were offered the 2013 version but turned it down on top of that because they felt a fighting game focused dev team could pull it off better.

I think how Double Helix landed it and delivered a great game (Despite IG's attempts at ruining it) will forever be one of the most fucking staggering mysteries of gaming.

Holy shit. I never knew THIS! Thank you!

God damn if you just changed the main instrument to something more soft or natural it would be ten times better.

Don't die yet