Shitty box art

Bland, uninspired, boring, unrepresentative of the game, etc., post shitty fucking box arts.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/vDEkC
thewrap.com/why-movie-posters-all-look-same-75846/
paranormalstorys.jimdo.com/
michisteinert.wix.com/donation
bdsmteens.blogspot.de/
sexyteenfeets.blogspot.de/
deepwebcreepy.blogspot.de/
inhumanexperiments.blogspot.de/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden_(Master_System_video_game)
nhentai.net/g/116214/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Heres your reply

Old Snake mug is pure art, full of resentment.

It felt like the PS3 era was the era of horrible box arts.

Every Bethesda game has shit cover

MGS4 works though, because it's done to show the graphical detail of the engine as well as the fact that Snake is now a decrepit old man by focusing on his wrinkles. The other ones I can agree with.

This shit in these three, I fucking hate how every supposedly "badass" character on these covers is just walking towards the screen or with his back to the player with an uninspired scenery around him. The only one I disagree with is the L.A. Noire one because I feel it works given the setting and the fact it's trying to imitate noir novels covers.

Fallout 3's and Daggerfall's box art are really good.

Everything after 2008.

L.A. Noire also has a bit of a clip-show thing going, where there's little snippets of things that happen.
The rest are practically clipart.

Every japanese game has shitty box art.

Literally every single triple a game.
There threads done.

The other box arts for the game looked a lot fucking better, they could've showed off the graphics on the back of the box.

Dice's "dark blue background and character's arm on fire" needs to stop.

The DOOM cover is the worst though, and sure didn't help out at the time when people were still rightfully skeptical of time.

I wonder if these people in charge of boxarts make them look deliberately generic and samey because "If we make them look like the CoD cover, we'll have some of the CoD audience buying our games!" or some other dumb reason like that. It also doesn't help that the back of the box art rarely explains why you should be excited for the game while the rest is covered with generic safety information.

More like I'm a gay

AA and indie games these days have even worse box art. Box art went to shit when people started drawing exclusively with CGI.

Relevant.

archive.is/vDEkC

Thanks, archive, for not saving the images, you stupid fucking cunts.

thewrap.com/why-movie-posters-all-look-same-75846/

New Links .DARKNET VID .paranormalstorys.jimdo.com/

michisteinert.wix.com/donation

bdsmteens.blogspot.de/

sexyteenfeets.blogspot.de/

deepwebcreepy.blogspot.de/

inhumanexperiments.blogspot.de/

If it ain't cp I'm not clicking on it.

Sarah, pls

The cover art for Deadly Premonition is the worst, it makes it look like it's going to be like Siren or Silent Hill and then half the game is nothing like that and the half that's sort of like it never even comes close to looking like the cover.

very true, the content of phantom pain's box art has wayyyy more content than the actual game itself

Pretty representative of the game I'd say.

(checked)
This?

Look at the low effort shit on the left and then look at the fantastic JP one here

The one on the right is fantastic though.

this shit right here

Does anyone have that edit of the Bioshock Infinite cover art?

The boxart was of varying quality in the west until 0 where they just decided to use Japanese boxart.

I once went in and returned the version of MGS4 in the OP and paid more money for the european version. I couldn't even use my saves with it, but it irked me too much.

I like the one on the right.

I fucking love that Braid cover. It just screams "I don't give a shit about your pretentious nuclear bomb analogies".

Fuck that, how about cool cover art?

This is how every 2deep4u platformer should be treated.

Oh man, that is awful.
It's made worse by the fact one of Braid's other covers is really cool.

Fucking millennials.

find a US Master System box that isn't total shit, i dare you.

I don't know, I like that graph paper look. Gives it character.

This is probably the most legendarily bad cover art I've seen.
I still remember the first thread on Holla Forums I saw talking about this box art.
I thought it was a joke. Other people thought it was a joke.

Vid related I think.

These ones are good

Those are late era MS boxes made for the European market

Is that first one exclusive to Japan.

These are my least favorites

Heavy Rain is good, Batman rerelease is shit.

Now this is a real shit cover.

This is pretty bad but not god hand bad

Pretty sure that Ninja Gaiden MS was released in the US.

Wew.

Why are japanese covers so often better then american ones?

Wait a minute that mouth.

Because Japs know to have fun and know what fits the game.

Scott Shelby is holding a gun like he's in a fucking mafia movie.

Every game from 1996 to 2004

Holy shit I forgot this cover existed.

It's been so long since the first thread about it.

That looks like a fucking meme tier edit. lmao

I'd like to remind you just because you don't like the box art and prefer another doesn't make a box art bad.
Box art is the first thing you see, so it is meant to generate interest in the game and provide a visual hint of what the game is about. A simple origami makes me think "Hey, maybe thats some shooter or action game". An origami plus several people including a man with a gun makes me wonder what the story is about. It needs to provide a level of intrigue but also somewhat notify me about what the fucking game is about.

(checked)

kek

I WANNA FUCK THAT

Dark Souls III Fire Fades vs Jap edition

A bad cover gets even blander for NA, but the Jap cover actually has some personality related to muh lore

This is half of the reasons. It's true that they're all trying to be as samey as possible to bring in the same kind of audience, but there's also a couple of other factors, namely the fact that these games are developed by so many people that it's almost inevitable that the PR guys, marketing jocks and the people actually modeling and drawing the the cover arts not only have no fucking idea what their game is all about other than "there's a guy and he shoots things" (look at older cover arts where this was even more egregious, like with the Megaman 1 one) but they themselves may not have actual skills in making said cover art either. They go for a safe look because they already know fans of the series will buy the game all the same, but also because they don't even know or care what the game will be like, so when their boss tells them the name of the game and that it has a badass, they just make the most out of very little information. I'm saying this because otherwise the covers would all have the Blue+Orange, slanted effect so many movie posters have had in the last decade.

Another correction on my part, Spec Ops the Line was also deliberately done that way for that "muh virtual killin is still bad" metaphor of theirs.

Japs get some fantastic cover arts even for western games because their main consumers are impressionable kids and greasy otakus who are very vocal with their wallets. But they're still not completely safe, as some of the older Jap versions of western games were just…weird.

but that's the best cover art of all time

You wanna know the kicker of the first one? That's Ciro Immobile, who transferred from Borussia Dortumund to Lazio the same year this cover dropped, so it looks even more out of place.

nigga thats fucking reus

I probably would have bought these games when I was younger if they hadn't made them look like shovelware.

That Hotline Miami cover is awesome.
And honestly, a lot of people hate the Hotline Miami 2 poster/cover but I love it.

It's not that it's bad but it could've been replaced with something else.

I was tempted to get this printed out as a poster for my room, honestly.
Hotline Miami is just a good game for making posters.

This is a thread for bad boxarts though

Oh, shit, you're right, my mistake. I just saw and thought it was a different thread.

Are you implying it's not one of the best box ever made ?

This is the correct answer. And not just for box art.

Eh, I like it.

That'd catch one's eye in a shop.

I just want to take this oppurtunity to say how absolutely SHIT the PS3 style was. Flimsy cheap plastic boxes with that terrible font.

The PS4 really does everything right this gen. Well except for payed themes and no custom wallpaper.

PS3 was fine after ditching the Spoder-Man font.

True it got better in the last few years. The PS3 was kinda trash system in the beginning if I'm honest.

I've always liked Final Fantasy style.

Marketing ruins everything.

call it Pavlovian conditioning but anything that is a single color on white looks amateurish to me.

That's clearly a gradient

you're telling me you think the gradient was drawn in and it wasn't just a filter applied on top of a flat image?

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

PS3 is fine.
Also, PS4 has a variety of free themes, might need a Japanese PSN to get them but still, they're there.

what do you expect when you design a system to be both a console for gaming and a fucking supercomputer.
That being said, I miss when you could turn your PS3 into a linux PC.

Well it stands out to me. I hate covers with people staring at me. FF is very minimalist.

But us enthusiasts are not the intended audience. We already know what the games are like. When we go to a store we already know what we're looking for.

who wouldn't

No, I'm just saying this is lineart on a white backround, which looks weird to me in particular.

Except ratchet eyebrows is not just box art.

(double heil)

Too bad that's one of the best boxart images out there. People are incapable of talking about it so it did its job perfectly. Kind of like how trump can say one thing and people will shit their pants for months about it, but the phalanx cover is even better than that. It does nothing and decades later people can't stop bitching about it. Excellent PR move, great cover.

the heavy rain and dox ox ones are better than the US ones, but the rest suck.

I double posted, fuck. This board isn't updating as fast as I thought it was.

the box depicts the black gate in question. What's wrong with it?

Checked

That is probably because you're not on halfchan

Welcome to 8/v/, you double nigger.

It's like Capcom EU wants to do terribly in terms of boxart.

Wrong
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden_(Master_System_video_game)

Here, the sexiest Magica ever drawn, by Italian Disney Comics master Marco Rota

No one asked for your opinion nigger.

I am the guy you were replying to, posting from my phone.

Alright, and I corrected your assertion that Ninja Gaiden on SMS was released in America, which it wasn't. No need to be a little faggot about it and downboat.

How has this not been posted yet?

That Bioshock Infinite cover is pretty representative of the game, though. Bland, uninspired, boring…

I have a poster of that one.

A poster of the actual boxart or a poster of the konami's best version?

The actual boxart

You got my hopes up there for a second.

The MMZ3 box art is pretty gud though

Good ol' Too Human.

Thank you for making me go through my old images to find this.

Not only it has a shitty cover, but it also has two of the games that made the industry into this transvestite aberration we see today.

Is this one supposed to be bad?

It's just a shittier version of the JP boxart though, with Zero looking in two different directions.

I think so, at least in comparison to the EU version of it, I like the dark blue more. The JP version looks like a movie poster instead of a game's box art, maybe I should've posted that instead.

TF2 Half Life 2 or Portal?

Really nigger?

Whats bad about portal except the "kys" humor?
Actual question.

Obviously it's Episodes 1 and 2

Nice dubs.

I was asking.

Oh god yes ep 1 and 2 were dog shit oh my god.

This image is triggering my autism.

Kek

TF2 and Portal.

Besides giving birth to one of the first "le ebin dank meem" those TBBT watchers, who later became the scourge of gaming industry, used ad infinitum?

Haha oh wow.

Obligatory

What the hell is wrong with you people?

The fuck are you talking about? What does that have to do with cover art?

Hate to ask, but got some sauce for a nigga?

how box art became worse is really weird to me, we had an era of cooler box arts because people browsed games in rental shops and shit. so now we have the internet so people look up the games they want there and browsing boxes isn't a thing so i guess everyone stopped trying, but at the same time since box arts don't technically matter anymore i'm surprised there aren't more interesting ones you know?

It's not Portals fault that people are faggots.

Well they're not wrong.

Easy to explain. It's a virus-like pathological hatred of good taste becoming more widespread as niggers and nigger worshippers take over america.
Honestly, I don't know. But marketing people at least are insane.

What the fuck is he actually even doing? It looks like he's smacking the knight with the handle of his sword.

Not as shitty as the Japanese one, but it really should've been this one.

I'm ashamed to admit once upon a time to almost buying Invisible War because of the holographic box.

Nothing wrong with portal and nothing was wrong with TF2, just the "kys" humor. The faggot you're replying too is just a faggot.

TF2 went downhill for different reasons, it was gabe turning into a massive jew. The Orange Box was legitimately a good set of games that just got too popular for their own good but somehow HL2 didn't get affected since it didn't appeal to the normalfags during that time which is why it got forgotten and hl3 never ever.

I don't know who you are but I already hate you. Good job.

shit didn't mean to sage

Is not even my channel, I just recalled that video from before, just because you beg for attention doesn't mean everyone does.

Well, you want a webm? stupid tools don't do it right.

The one on the right is okay.

don't bother

If anything the trend is real, nowadays is always dude on the cover with shit on the background or lazy CGI model plastered on it.

Any cover that does this.

Yeah, but that one had a reverse I think…

They added an option to use your screenshots as backgrounds in an update a while back.

at least video games covers are better then book covers in current year plus two.

Book and movie covers in general suffer too.

the one on the right was great
4's jap cover art was kinda shit tho

Not trying is still better than failing in my book.

Worst part about this is that even if it's boring and uninspiring you will know what game is it without the logo/title. That's marketing. Artsyles or drawings are mainly for the deluxe versions for a small chump of $200 with a mouse pad that would erode after 3 sessions of gaming.

that looks pretty gud. In fact I bet genuenly and holistically good Vidya box art is harder to find then bad art. One of these example is a fake cover and the other is one that Bethesda officially commissioned yet passed up for some unknown reason.

名前はNotto Importanttu

If I was from halfchan would I really sage after I knew I was serial posting?

always reminds me of Jae Lee art

hope you like shota rape
nhentai.net/g/116214/

Yooka Laylee

How the hell is Superman being hung? He doesn't even have a rope around his neck.

Does this artist make not-gay shit?

Oh you better believe I do. Thanks m8.

I hate this. Even bad games aren't celibate to talent. I have no fucking clue how the hell companies can completely overlook their concept art and decide on some CG bullshit.

And the funny thing is that companies can still have shirt orange/blue shit, but they can at least do it properly like pic related.

Way of the Samurai 3 is the only game I can think of with a better English box than a Japanese one. The original box is literally just a screenshot from the pre-rendered intro.

to be fair the mandatory console Logo's is often the worst offender.

Other then Heavy rain all of those are either very generic or atrocious.

At least those are important for knowing what system a game is for.

Anyone have the "I choose to be many little girls" parody? I thought I had it saved but I can't find it.

why would you do all that work and save it as a thumbnail?

I did it in a rush. Thanks for the much needed improvement.

That's a Famicom game, going by cart shape

The Turrican series has amazing cover art user, what the hell?.

I don't know man

At least his face paint makes him stand out. Most covers that do this, it's just some regular looking joe schmoe that you can't tell apart form every other "face" cover.

So not giving billions of BPS to Brussels will turn the bongs into pay poofs?

How can someone not like these?

What a faggot.

Why do publishers still allow this garbage through? It's objectively the worst type of cover art.

fuck you, you uncouth lowly uneducated nigger there is a huge difference between the two images. One is adequate and the other is absolute garbage in terms of graphic design.

The worst thing about that Heavy Rain one is that the character featured most prominently is the least important to the story

Physical Copies of games should be required to a have a reversible cover with cool cover art.

Fuck off with the Bioshock one, that looks better than the actual game.
Booker actually looks like a hardened badass instead of hipster troy baker

The reversible cover is pretty neat

but yeah it's nice

I love shit like this because all it does is show that the team at some point had some kind of vision and they let themselves get cucked out of it by marketing but they still hide the smallest symbols of what could have been as a mea culpa, or maybe the world's smallest and most worthless bandaid for their own damaged asses.

Sure you bought a $70 crock of shit, sure the devs were complicit in selling it to you, but they've sure got these little sops to their illusions of themselves as artists hidden around.

I thought they got cucked out of it literally by hardware limitations

What they originally wanted would have been hard to do on 360 hardware but there's still a very big fucking gap between what could have been done and what we ended up getting.

while that is nice in a amature folk art sense and much more pleasant then the real cover I hardly see that as an indication of developers artistic prowess or an indicator of some grander vision of what could have been. You are reading way to much into a simple pleasant congenial aesthetic.

Why didn't they just make a fucking animated movie, that's clearly what they wanted to do by the end product.

The coloring and design is more indicative of vintage book covers along the lines of Macmillan and Co. rather than that. Also, don't scoff at Bob Peak.

The orange always goes in the left hand.

The Spec Ops the Line cover was cool, why didn't Walker ever wear that mask in the game? You know to make look more "eeeeevul" after the you-know-what incident

It's great if done correctly. Fallout 1 and 3 are examples of good headshot. Can't find another vidya example.

If that's Gujira (I didn't open the link) then yes, he did one with a prostitute gyaru that gets "molested" on a train which is much better than the gay shit.

no it's tonikaku and it's all gay shit.

The japanese have a strong appreciation for aesthetics, while americans want to see a guy that looks like them but more like badass on the cover.

It's
vs

I actually avoided playing this for a long time because the art makes it look so shitty. Whoever was in charge of the advertising for this game should be shot.

I've never seen that zombie flick, but the poster always stuck with me with how raw it is

That superman cover is garbage. It just looks like a bathroom logo stick man with a cape. If it's supposed to be some post modern 2irony4u bullshit, fuck that designer(s) with a flamethrower. At least make the proportion of the figure bigger than life, if it's supposed to be a superhero.

That first Doom cover looks interesting.

damn fallout 4 looks like *THAT*?

Pumpkinhead being in the background, just with horns is pretty cool. lol

Checking those triple dubs.

(heil'd)
that cover looks like a vagina if you mirror it

Fallout 3's looks good because the lighting and position of the helmet makes it look menacing, almost like it would be for a horror game. The Fallout 1 cover doesn't work well because the helmet looks far too clean (symptom of 90s 3D technology), and you can go the entire game without ever meeting the BoS so it makes no sense to put one of them on the cover to the game.
Pic related would have been much better.

I'd play that.

except the fact that BoS is featured in the intro video of the game.

Nigger, the Dovahkiin isn't even on the Skyrim box art. It's literally just a picture of the Symbol of the Dragonborn or whatever it's called.
QUALITY

Real talk:

The only people who give a shit are collectors or Nipponese. My games are tucked into a fucking cd rack or sitting on a HDD as 1s and 0s. Or floating in the cloud.

Those are US soldiers wearing t51b armor, retard. The BoS didn't even exist pre-great war.

It's funny because a LOT of old boxart was heavily traced from popular art. Looks to me like the only thing that artist actually made himself is that grotesque head.

Wow wait right there. You can't let the people the creative talent you wasted on the game that you eventually scrapped.

for comparison, the japanese cover art

Some of the early Donkey Kong box art was…something. Also, if you thought Dawn of Sorrow's re-release artwork was bad…

What is the process of printing a poster?

I can't decide if Dawn of Sorrow rerelease edition or Ghost House is my favorite box art of all time

A big ass piece of paper, a big ass printer, and lots of color ink

t51b armor is the helmet on the cover of the Fallout 1 box art so you protest is a moot point

So go to an office store?

MGSV had a pretty cool reversible cover

It's the annexation of Canada, it says it right there.
But it's not the armor worn by the US soldiers pre-war. The cover is clearly post-war, since the pauldrons are rusted and you can see the Boneyard in the background.
And even if that were a US soldier that wouldn't be good justification for putting him on the cover just because his armor was in the intro for ~10 seconds.

holly shit you are genuenly autistic. Kill yourself.

What is so bad about it?

Stay mad, fuckboy.

filtered

I've stayed 100% on topic save for this little exchange which you started
I use the term fuckboy (spelled properly w/o nigger ebonics) because it applies to you, as a weasely little whiny bitch.
Good. Only tiny baby men choose to hide something instead of confronting it.
stay mad fuckboy

The first one is fucking awesome though in a hilarious sense, but still What do you want from it?

Fuck your gay shit.

Fun fact:
When people raided Phil Fish's wikipedia page, they photoshopped the screaming druid face on to his photo but did it in a way so that you could only see it if you really looked for it, and even then to really see it you had to tilt your monitor. It was up for months.

nice

Perfect.

10/10 laughed till I cried. A work of true art.

That's bretty gud mate.

I got you one better.
Sessler was listed as working at the "Crackden".
This lasted for 2 fucking years.

Not enough gold in the treasury m'lord

is this bait? That box is great.

Oddly the EU and US cover for Silent Hill 3 look much better than the JP one and I think the one for the EU is the bets since it looks the most like Silent Hill 2's US one. I also wanted to add that I liked the cover art for Resistance 3 and that the flip side looked like the main cover, but without all the bullshit on it.

I actually like the dramatic shading on the US version better. They should've illustrated it rather than just using a low poly model from the game.

that's a high poly model from the CGI used in the game, the in-game mode would have actually looked good. the Japanese one was by the artist who was the main inspiration for the games art style.

SoC isn't bad, the sickly yellow and whoever the fuck the zombie is on the left is iconic, it's not bad but does it's job.