Question for the non FGC gamers

Question for the non FGC gamers.

Why don't you play fighting games?
What makes you don't like them?

What would it take for a new fighter (new IP) to make you interested into playing it?

Other urls found in this thread:

sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What

Newfags pls.
Even reading the rest of the post would of given you the answer.

I try to play them, but every time I do, I feel like the controls are too floaty and my inputs aren't being read properly. Doesn't matter how many controllers I do through, or even keyboards, the input windows seem to vary wildly.

I could sit down for a while and learn every input window for every move, but I only ever did that for MonHun, and that took ages. Couldn't handle doing it for every fighter that looks interesting.

I guess the only way to make a fighter that appeals to me is to dumb it down insanely, so I don't want that at all.

Because they're all trash made by nickle and diming kikes?

The fighting game "community" is probably enough to turn most people away from fighting games.

My reflexes are getting more and more shit with age, and it's getting to the point where 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' is starting to feel more true by the day. I actually enjoy watching fighting game competitions every now and again, but don't feel like I've got the time to put in the practice needed to master, or even become decent at, a new genre I've never actually played before when I was younger. When I want to play something faster-paced, I stick to FPSes, since at least there I've got my experience from youth to rely on rather than starting from the ground up.

I've had some fun time playing fightans like pokken and Jojo ASB, but whenever It always feels like the inputs are too sticky or hard to pull off in the middle of a real fight, or that there's a ton of meta flying over my head I don't want to read up on.

The only good thing that's ever come out of your shitty genre is the LTG vs Viscant grudge match.
That's it.
You're as highly regarded as assfaggots.

I just don't enjoy fighting games other than Soul Calibur, which means i'm fucked in that regard.

most fighting games are retarded, there are a couple I put up with but I absolutely cannot stand shufflewalkers which is the majority of the genre

I only like virtua fighter and they havnt released a new one in 5+ years.

I can't help it if you've only been here for a couple days and don't see the constantly bumped general thread that has been a staple on 8/v/ for years and on /vg/ for even longer.

There are people in and past their late 30s that still win tournaments and set world records.
What's your excuse?

Not really doing yourself any favour here, faglord.

I watch and like mma and some sports but playing them is too repeating and no to little sense of adventure. Not much happens unexpectedly.

I can't help it if you're a literal mouth-breather who didn't read anything past me calling you a newfag, to the part where I said I don't play fighting games.
Now, stop posting and start lurking, cuck.

Answer my thread on /sudo/ about banlogs.

There are a few games I play with some consistent skill, sadly other people don't play them, they all prefer the usual flavor of the month or mashy or pre-baked combo game.

Darkstalkers, Street Fighter Alpha 2-3, World Heroes 2, etc.
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Injustice (whatever is out), Mortal Kombat.

What happened when I introduced Guilty Gear XX to them? they kept playing as long as they didn't lose, once I caught up, they stopped playing, what happened when I began playing Injustice? they already moved to Mortal Kombat X or back to UMvC3.

The two big things that kept me from really getting into fighting games were:
Much like with MtG, if you cant find a stable group to play with of the same investment level the game isn't really enjoyable. All of my real life friends were full on casual with fighters and just button mashed with no intent to get better so playing against them wasn't enjoyable or informative for either of us, and the communities I tried to join online were all much better and more committed to the point where I was the casual guy and I didn't want to commit so much to a single game to no longer be the casual guy.
I played a ton of Soul Calibur 2 in highschool and got decent (for my communities skill distribution) but then when SC3 came out everything was different enough that I had to relearn everything and I gave up on that to try some MvC2 and focus on other genres that I was enjoying more. Same thing happened again with SC4 and I never even bothered with 5. I tried getting into Blazblue when that came out since it came with that dvd that taught a ton of combos and was doing alright with that but then when the first new version of that came out and changed up all the characters and combos I'd learned I lost interest just like with SC.

So for the second part of the question, for me to be interested in a new IP it would have to be appealing to players of all skill levels to allow for communities to form at all of them, and it would have to be well crafted and balanced enough that I wouldn't have to worry about a new version coming out in a few months that would completely deflate all the skills I'd developed in the original.

Such an oldfag response!

Did that one hit a bit too close to home?
:^)

Why wouldn't I bump? And again, just because there's a thread for something a lot doesn't mean it's good. You know, like tumblrtale or ovenwatch :)

i liked them when i was a kid with friends who had fighting games (bloody roar, sf, kof )
but now i have no friends and shit internet and just enjoy the occasional nice stage music
unless you consider lethal league a fighting game, but even then i just play against ai because i pirated a version you can't play online with fuggg

There's no goal. Each fight is only win or lose, then all that's left is to do another fight to see if you win or lose again.
In MonHun I have a purpose for each hunt I go on, whether it be for materials, cash, or gathering.
In Pokemon each fight at least adds to the overall experience in the form of int form of EXP which adds evolution, moves, and stats.
In M&B each fight is rewarded with EXP, cash, items and sometimes land, prisoners, and/or captives.
See where I'm going with this? There's no incentive to win and no consequences for losing. Their only purpose, along with sports/esports games is to babysit the functionally retarded and shitskins.

I called you new for not knowing what it meant. I never said anything about the quality of the thread, just that it was a common sight that everyone else but you seemed to pick up on.
Stop being so pissy about being called names; you should of stuck to being (1) and done.

You're confused guy, you're the only one who cares that you called me a name. On Holla Forums. On Holla Forums.

I'm not a nigger.

The diversity of the FGC.

Absolutely nothing.
I and other redpilled people troll and spread lies about SFV all the time trying to destroy the FGC. We managed to take control of /r/kappa and we are being pretty successful so far and there's nothing you faggots can do about it because once anyone gets hold of the memes and the narrative all the sheep blindly follows, in 2 years top there won't be a FGC anymore. Get fucked nigger.

When I enjoyed them when I was a kid. Just what me and friends always played when they came over. When I got to the age that sleepovers weren't acceptable anymore is when I lost interest with them. Also I don't really want to commit more than 100 hours to any single game anymore because I don't have enough free time.

What kind of lies? Like the game is good?

It wouldn't require to memorize a bunch of long-ass combos and grind the one frame inputs on them. That shit always turns me off from fighting games. I want to go back to the days of SF2 where a jump-in, a punch, and a special was all that was really needed.

I will hop on fightcade and play sf2 grand master and play with the 50 dedicated players. Everything else is garbage.

Play the characters with shorter combos then.

Don't play games like SFIV with one-frame links then (even SFIV has p-linking which extends the link window.)

Oh boy, now I have to only memorize 20 inputs instead of 75.

I don't get into fighters because of the time investment required to get good at them (learning characters, specials, strategies, combos, and mechanics & engine quirks) vs. my own preferences. I do like the genre casually though. I love to play my friends in a few rounds of Fatal Fury or Waku Waku 7 if they're roughly on the same skill level as me. I'm fine with losing a lot as long as I'm able to at least get a few hits in instead of making one wrong move and being comboed to death in something like Marvel or Skullgirls.

I say the main draw of fighting games as a genre is casts of memorable, larger-than-life characters. Even if the game is absolutely unfun for me, I still find myself drawn to it and have an incentive to keep playing because of characters like M. Bison, Terry Bogard, Lord Raptor, Dudley, Sol Badguy, Ramlethal Valentine, Peacock, Makoto, Chun-Li, Mai Shiranui, Hsien-Ko, etc. and how their designs and body language stick out in my mind, as well as the dynamic between characters like Ryu and Ken or Sub-Zero and Scorpion.

Because the FCG make the Undertale fanbase look uncancerous and the sonic fanbase look unautistic. It would take the FGC to not want to touch it to make me interested in playing it.

Unless you're playing Marvel, you'll never require 20 inputs, even for the combo heavy characters.

Why would you ask this to FGC gamers in the first place you fucking retard, why is the players of this genre so stupid?

or melty bread, or skullgirls, or tandem attacks in jojo, or

Wow, 4 whole games! It's a shame those 4 games are the only ones ever released since SF2.

I know you have to put in a lot of effort to even begin to compete in them, and I'm not interested enough in the genre to do so. They have the same recruitment problem as arena shooters, limited appeal and a small hardcore fanbase that pummels newcomers into submission. Meanwhile lots of people play other shooters and the more casual Smash series, because there is broader appeal and more opportunities for beginners to enjoy themselves.

Also in general most people prefer team-based multiplayer games to 1-on-1. Things are always a little bit out of your control in team-based games, but in a 1-on-1 you are always completely responsible for your losses, and that can be hard for the ego to bear. This also explains why arena shooters and RTS are dwindling in popularity compared to team-based shooters and assfaggots.

I'm not saying fighting games "should change" or dumb themselves down, if you like them the way they are then more power to you. Just don't get surprised or annoyed that other people aren't interested in them.

Lastly while shit like vid related and WHO BITCH THIS IS is funny, the idea of being around a community of autistic macho-posturing niggers and wiggers sounds like hell.

They've probably been playing for years and are coasting on their accumulated skill. There's a big difference between being a 30 year old $GENRE player, and trying to get into $GENRE at age 30.

Stupid unintuitive control schemes.
Lack of variety. Would you buy an FPS where all of the maps are the same?
Singleplayer content is almost always and afterthought.

I always felt like there was this wealth of arcane knowledge behind fighting games that was just completely impenetrable to me. Things like:

People always talk about how there are "fundamentals" you can master that are transferable to most fighting games, and that if you get good at those you can usually hold you own, but I never got a good sense of what those were or how you go about getting good at them. I can guess that they involve things like learning spacing and timings, and getting good at basic inputs like quarter circles and charges, but that's pretty much all I can glean for myself.

I don't like the idea of needing to learn every character's entire moveset just to stand a chance at countering them, but it seems like in most cases that's pretty much a necessity. Maybe it's just the case where if you play competitively enough you'll naturally pick up what each character feels like to fight, but that still feels like a huge wall obstructing new players in any new franchise. It's the same problem I have with MOBAs, where if you don't have a comprehensive knowledge of every little system in the game you'll get your ass rocked, and the only way to fix that is endless out-of-game research. Which also leads into:

not only is there a huge amount of information just about the game's systems that needs memorizing, you also need to learn about popular tactics, combos, playstyles, character counters, etc. in order to be competitive. If you don't know what the counter is to Big Whiskey's double-roundhouse-booty-pop-lariat combo, but that's become the defining feature of the metagame, you'll once again get your ass rocked. Maybe what defines a good fighting game is not having shit like this though? Like if it's a good game maybe it'll be balanced in such a way that just good fundamentals WILL be able to see you through instead of needing to be prepared for any specific attacks or strategies. But I also feel like any game will eventually develop dominant strategies, which will inevitably lead to a meta, which will inevitably lead to shit like this. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this.

I don't even know how much this shit actually matters, but I hear people talk about it all the time and it is super off-putting to me. I don't want to have to memorize how many frames it takes for Hol Horse's fucking ricochet pistol to execute, or how many frames the endlag is when Nikali's ultimate whiffs. It could be that's just for autismos though and it's totally possible to play at a high level without that kind of information.

combo-focused fighters always felt weird to me because I never understood the process of building a combo or discovering a good one for yourself, and the idea of looking some up online always felt dirty to me. I did enjoy the games I played that essentially had combo-building systems built in as a mechanic like the new Killer Instinct I think Darkstalkers worked similarly too, unless I'm mistaken, but short of systems like those it's totally baffling to me. It seems like it would be fun to experiment with once you understand the concepts behind it, but I could just never into that. That's crippling for some games where playing with exclusively LMH and special attacks won't get you to competitive level.

okay I know this is the pleb answer, and I won't pretend the proper response isn't just to git gud. I know that once you learn how to properly time a mix-up or whatever you'll be able to apply that to other games too. I don't blame the games for having a high skill floor, I but it is a reason I haven't gotten into many of them since I personally haven't reached it yet.

All that being said, I do generally enjoy fighting games when playing them and I totally see the appeal. It actually does bother me that I've had such a hard time getting into them because once I settle in with a character I like in a system I enjoy I have a lot of fun. The psychology and potential for clutch moments are also really appealing to me, so if any anons out there can address these issues I've got I'd be much obliged. Even just shining a little light on how much all this shit matters, or giving some advice on how you start learning this nonsense. I would like to, but the process is murky as hell and really intimidating to me.

Shit games tbh, no real 100% balance, basically stronger character wins, full of undesirables, represented by sellouts.

Shit communities.
Requires too much training just to realize your favorite characters will always suck.
Bad matchmaking and dead fighting games all over the place with the same 20 autists playing them mean only people at that level can play them and enjoy it.

When it comes to that, from my perspective.

Pretty much anyone can do that to a certain level, but then we go to.

Too much of a hassle when I just want to have fun, I am pretty sure none of my friends goes this deep but…

This is where I may fail, my short term memory can only retain a certain amount of sequences before I run the risk of becoming too predictable, not to mention I usually tend to be more flashy and less practical sometimes or go for the most "impactful" plays I can think of, that is, something that requires less inputs and does heavy damage.

Yeah, all of this basically. Someone who can into fighting games enlighten me on how you're supposed to get past these hurdles, and whether or not the hurdles reappear with every new game. That's another huge issue for me, I hate the fact that all this information is unique to each game, and that in order to get good at a new one you basically have to restart from square one. If there was a big knowledge or time sink to get into the genre as a whole and afterwards you'd be good to go, I'd have no problem. That's basically how it works with Monster Hunter and I love that series. But with fighting games it seems like there's an entire set of encyclopedias you've got to memorize with each new iteration of a series and that seriously puts me off.

I have thoroughly enjoyed playing Blanka in street fighter, Killer Instinct, Darkstalkers and Heritage for the Future have all been fun, and my brother and I had a good time goofing around wit Samurai Spirits the other day. I also like Smash. But I've never gotten so into one game that I could say I really understood it or had any level of expertise with it.

And to that I say, the idea that you need "incentives" to play a game is a cancerous ideology. Fighting games are a holdover from the arcades where you got no "reward" for playing them except playing an exhilarating game that made it fun to do things. Unlike your shitty grindy single-player MMO Monster Hunter, these games are more based on raw kinesthetic appeal.

Something I've noticed is that as you get better at a given thing, you find ways to give yourself small handicaps when playing against players with a lower skill level. Doing this allows you to be more active and take more creative risks in game since you don't have the intimidation factor of an equally skilled player. Eventually you learn to use these tricks on higher skilled players and your game increases.

The problem with this is that the good players get exponentially good while the new and even some old players get exponentially less interested do to the impenetrable wall of high skilled players stomping the shit out of everyone.

When a new game is released for a time the skill level is more diverse and this makes it fun for most average people.

last i saw guilty gear and blazblue were more of the same, what other worthwhile fighting games have been released and were popular since then

oh right, none

Well, depending on the series or developer some mechanics and basic movesets carry on to different franchises, that's why some people tend to stick with certain developer's games like Capcom, SNK or ArcSys, the real pain are WB games because there you have to deal with not only movesets but pre-baked combos which are not even intuitive most of the time (that is, you really can't make guesses as to which basic attacks can be chained by looking at their animations like in certain 3D fighting games.)

I know that pain, basically this , can get decent enough in some games, but then they phase out or people just can't stand losing to someone like me.

Nigger that's what Monster Hunter's about too. Your gear and loot don't matter if you can't get good. The point of the loot and crafting is to add a layer of strategy and thought to the game; the primary draw by FAR is the opportunity to duke it out with stronger and stronger monsters, getting better each time. That's why after a while it starts throwing monsters that you've already fought at you in different combinations, in different environments, and with different conditions, so the loot doesn't change but the challenge still increases. Either you've never played a MonHun game or you have and tragically missed the point of the series.

Is Soul Calibur considered a fighting game?

Nice to know fighting game fans hold absolutely no value for their time. You could be playing Gone Home right now user seeing as you don't need any incentives to play a game.
And they're still trying to nickle and dime their customers.

Yes.

Yes, but is one of those which are hardly a recurring in tournaments, doesn't help that each iteration changes the core mechanics in some way.

Okay I just ripped on the same post, but you missed his point entirely. He was saying that the gameplay of fighting games is inherently satisfying in a way that means in-game rewards are unnecessary, because simply the joy of playing the game is enough to keep you going. Gone Home has no mechanics whatsoever, let alone ones that are inherently enjoyable. You only have to read my posts to see that I'm no fighting game apologist, but I refuse to believe you actually missed the point that fucking badly.

I don't even like fighting games, but come on man. The incentive for playing is the thrill of the gameplay, and the feeling of satisfaction when you win. Your virtual gear and experience points are no more real than this.

No, you're right, I haven't played Monster Hunter. Looking at the games doesn't interest me in a similar way that fighting games don't interest the guy I was replying to. We're both guilty of surface-level judgement about these games, and I tried to show him what MonHun looked like from an outsider's perspective as someone who does play fighting games.

Shit, I'm retarded. I didn't even read the post you were responding to. Yeah, that's totally fair.

Funny, absolutely same for me.

I never had people to practice with in my youth and now Im just insanely drawn to Guilty Gear without actually playing it on any serious level or even regulary. Because of the fucking cast. Cant explain why but I just love those guys, especially Ram and Sol.

I miss the old M.O.M mode. Made me come back at least once a week.

I guess I just miss the point. Never have been able to find joy in doing a task unless the result benefits me in some way.

Nothing in a video game benefits you in any way. All rewards are virtual and will not come with you into the real world.

Maybe he just doesn't find those kind of games stimulating in any way possible.

Only fighting games I enjoy are ones with canon characters from other series duking it out for fun (SSBM, dengeki bunko fighting climax, etc.). I can't get into regular fighting games, mostly because I wish I was just playing an rpg or beat em' up with these characters.

Besides that, most tend to be grossly unbalanced to where only a small handful of characters are worth spending time with. Also, the overall fanbases tend to be the worst bunch of people you ever have the misfortune of encountering.

I would argue that the satisfaction you feel from leveling up or getting a new piece of equipment in another game isn't actually coming from the reward, but from the fact that you had to accomplish something to get it. If the reward was all that mattered, clicker games would be the height of game design. You could achieve the same thing by watching meaningless bars fill up. The real reason it's satisfying to you is because it exists in the context of a mechanical system that you enjoy playing, like pokemon or something. The same principle applies to fighting games, except they strip away the artifice of progression, storyline or character growth. I can totally see how the absence of those things would be offputting, but I hope you can at least see where the appeal lies for those who don't mind it.

Even little things like the feeling of ripping someone a new asshole during a combo, or really getting in their head and predicting what they do before they do it. Those feelings really drive the hype factor of the game because getting a satisfying win is a really high and great feeling. This is the real draw of fighting games to us, but I agree there's a lot of research you have to do and matches you have to lose to even reach that point, which is annoying. But the trade-off is that you're basically playing a fully mental game against other people. On the surface it looks like they're just mashing buttons but it's really a lot like a real-time chess game.

When you make someone really fucking upset when you wreck them with your skills, that's what makes it all worthwhile. So yeah in a way it is like assfaggots or Counter-Strike since it's all about getting in your opponent's head.

That's a different argument.

Remember Battle Rape?

Well now make it good, give it tons of content dozens of costumes, going from slightly lewd to max level, make the player expect the sex as a reward for effort and the nudity as an incentive to keep fighting rounds, add lots of "punishment" options and then we may have a talk about supporting fighting games.

and no, DoA 5 with mods looks disgusting, the vanilla version is way better.

Iron Tager

I play the role of my characters, so if it benefits them I get my fix.

(Checked)
Competitiveness seems required to enjoy these games I suppose.

Spot on. I just had this very discussion 2 days ago with a buddy, I cannot for the life of me enjoy grind for digital goods, anymore. Used to sink thousands of hours into rpgs, not able to boot one up, anymore.

Im SHIT at fighting games but winning a match in one is the last real satisfaction I get from video games now, for the very reasons you stated.

I know that one. They give you a window into this interesting universe, and just as you begin to poke your head out, they slam it on you. Want to know the full story regarding this universe and it's characters? Well go pour through a wiki because you aren't getting it here.

They look fun, typically have great music and interesting characters, I just don't have the reflexes required to play at anywhere near a competent level. Maybe I could have developed those reflexes if I grew up playing in an arcade, but I didn't and my childhood has long since passed me by. I have to focus really hard just to do a simple 7-move BnB combo that I'm supposed to have stored into muscle memory after a few days according to everyone else who plays. I would probably never play anything else again if I became decent at anime airdashers but I've tried so many times I just can't keep justifying dropping $60 on a new game only to drop it after flailing around in training for a month and barely having anything stick. I've tried shit like P4A, Ultimax and UNIEL because I've really loved their presentation but I just can't not play like a fucking toddler when I pick up a controller in this genre.

This. The fgc in general is a horrible shit-hole full of sleazy, crummy people, and it doesn't really welcome new players (People used to keep frame data for themselves, so no one jeopardizes their weed money during Soul Calibur 2 tourneys). I've been to local events. They're going to be hit or miss (It'll always be a miss if you deal with Smash or animu faggots that play BlazBlue or Guilty Gear). The local stuff around me died, and I refused to go to the shitty city to play shitty fighters like KI, Tekken 7, GG, MKX, and SFV. Smash players are the rapefugees of the FGC because like Rapefugees who are destroying Europe, they're destroying the fgc and fgc events with their faggotry. Fuck Smash players for making events miserable, and fuck the fgc and guys like JeBailey and Mr. Wizard for letting them do whatever they want for money (slimy fucks).

Most of the fighters out there…well, suck:

There's KoF, but I decide to get rid of Steam permanently (Fuck Gaben). It's not worth putting it on my PC especially if KoF 14 will have Denuvo. I guess I've been disappointed with the genre and community, and just got sick of it.

It needs to be interesting or unique like Primal Rage, or something that stands out from other games.

t. guy wasting his time on an imageboard

Guilty Gear and Street Fighter would make so god damn good beat em's Im glad nobody had a chance to ruin that phantasy as of yet.

what's wrong with smash people?
I mean,the only thing I know about them it's that they got back into EVO because they raised money and got first by a landslide with skullgirls on second.

They're crazy people who insist on playing a party game as if it wasn't a party game. But the fact that they piss off the FGC niggers so bad makes them kind of okay, I guess.

I've always been shit at combo'ing. Like my brain doesn't work that way. Love watching pro games tho.

I have never understood the notion that smash has to be a party game and any attempts at playing it competitively are inherently misguided. The competitive play is fast and technical, and it seems like a lot of the concepts are pretty easily linked to fighting games. If it's not a traditional fighter, fine, call it a platform fighter or whatever you want. You don't even have to like it being counted as part of your genre if you don't want. But it's utterly baffling to me how many fighting game fans refuse to acknowledge smash as a legitimate game.

I don't play fighting games because of the community; though some mean well, most of them are elitist gatekeepers, and they're even worse losers.

Do you know why they raised money to come back to Evo? Because they got banned from Evo and fgc events after they harassed someone for picking Meta-Knight, and caused a riot after the finals (they stole stuff and broke equipment). Smash players all horrible, annoying, and grating to put up with. Every bad thing you hear about Smash players is true. Last year, some Smash spic tried to rape someone's girlfriend at a hotel during Evo, and told the girl's cuck boyfriend to keep it be quiet about it. They have ruined many events like CEO 16 and Winter Brawl:

Winter Brawl (or Summer Jam):

CEO 16:

There are reasons why people hate Smash players and Smash Bros.

At least Lowtiergod has hygiene, and knows not to put a fucking greasy whopper on an organizer's console (this happened in one event I went to when I played MK9).

1. Street Fighter feels too clunky, anime airdashers are too extreme in the other direction.
2. a) I don't like when something doesn't count as a combo because your inputs are too fast; intuitively I think of the button presses themselves as the attacks, and it feels odd when your series of attacks can be blocked because you are too fast (something like that only makes sense for juggle things). b) I don't like memorizing combos (specials are not an issue, this is ten times as much work) and think a game should have just a few rules that you can derivate all the possible combos from.
3. I don't like the common mechanic that you can power up even by doing attacks that miss your opponent. Even if the game is deep, it just looks daft.
4. I don't like that collision geometry is very different from what it looks like (in b4 all games have that issue).
5. I don't like the aesthetics of post-knockdown invulnerability or pushing characters away from each other as a prevention against infinites. It looks stupid and glitchy, but it has been done this way since forever, so it's a staple that doesn't look weird at all to genre fans. I would rather have some sort of escape jump for that.

What is the game for me?

I play a few here and there, but not many interest me anymore. The majority of new ones feel like more bland SF2 clones with shittier mechanics and worse balance, or they're shallow button mashers based off of Popular Anime #6.

That being said, probably my favorite fighting game I've ever played is Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Not because it's THE DEEPEST, but because it was going in a direction that would have been truly amazing had they gone all the way with it and actually gave it depth. I absolutely love the idea of fights being about controlling the match through a back-and-forth struggle in a fully 3D environment. The added bonus of being able to fly and shit is just a cherry on top. A shame about every DBZ game that's come after them.

nice grammar, faggot

Anyway, it's about the idea that you need to learn specific combos for specific characters- especially when there's characters whose combos are piss simple vs characters who require more input than an A-10 pilot trying to refuel in mid-air. I don't think every character should control THE EXACT SAME WAY, but there should be basic "core" mechanics to the game that are standard for the vast majority of characters. Then, build upon those- add easy to understand, but complex to use, mechanics for each character.

When you get down to it, combos are a means to an end- and as far as in-depth combat goes, the majority of skill required for fighting games goes into execution vs actual play when combo strings and inputs get stupidly long. And that fucking sucks. Some games are worse about it than others, but in general, I hate this shit.

Do what DBZ BT3 did, but with a shitload more depth (and less copy/paste characters). I don't care if it's Dragonball, Naruto, or whatever the fuck. If it's good, I'll play it.

Would you smash this Holla Forums?

I kind of think tournament play is absurd in general, and video games should be fun things you play with friends, but jerryrigging a game that was expressly designed not to be played that way into a tournyfag game is doubly bizarre to me. I guess I just don't understand why they have to take it so seriously, and why they can't just turn the fucking items on and play on Poke Floats like normal people.

Autism and Manchild-thug tendencies. 'Nuff said.

Why does it matter what how it was intended to be played if the mechanics allow for more than one playstyle? Just because the skill ceiling is crazy high unintentionally doesn't mean it's invalid to want to reach it. It's fun, allows for a huge amount of technical skill and flashiness, and the mechanics support this kind of play really well. Whether or not that style of play was the stated goal during development should be irrelevant. It's like if someone made an rpg that was accidentally a mindblowingly good citybuilder or real time strategy game as well, to the point where it gets played more for the citybuilding than for the RPG elements, and appeals more to RTS fans than the intended RPG audience. If the actual properties of the video game appeal to a different demographic than was intended, then why does it matter that it wasn't meant for them in the first place?

I don't like this level of competitiveness in general. I even think sports should go back to being games that people just play for fun. I think there's a madness in taking a child's game this seriously, and I think it perverts the purity of it somehow. Maybe we need a good war so people can stop looking for it in football.

The thing you don't seem to understand is that competitiveness IS fun, otherwise people wouldn't do it. It's just a different variety of fun.

because communities make them 'competitive'
it also happened to pokeyman
still,there's games like this that give me a little chuckle
also applies to almost every online game

The people who actually kill each other rioting after sporting events don't seem to be there for the fun of it.

Certain characters in certain fighters will never achieve that flashiness no matter how good you are because some characters are flat out worthless (Twelve/Remy/Sean/Hugo in 3S, Rock in Soul Calibur 3 and 4, Alex and FANG in SFV). You don't even see that flashiness in Mobas because you're forced to pick meta heroes even if you figured out how to play Twitch, Urgot, or Heimerdinger in every lane (Riot will ban you if you even pick these characters instead of the ones they want), or even master a Dota heroes like Sniper or Spirit Breaker beyond their typical roles.

Tekken and VF are the closest to seeing that flashiness with characters like Sarah and Kuma. Even a good Zafina (which is retardedly rare in 6 because she was worthless) is way more exciting to watch than the typical Mishima v. Mishima, Top-tier v. Mishima, or Top-tier v. Top-tier in Tekken events.

Its just that it attracts a certain autismo crowd, then the promise for prize money amplifies that autismo further, and the make believe fame of being good at a videogame amplifies it even more.

i don't know much about fps, but it always seemed like reaction speed was a bigger factor in those games than in fighting games where inputs are completely deterministic. reactions are nice but prediction is a much bigger factor in fighting games.

who do you play in vf?

gud taste my dude

this basically comes down to the largely universally shared mechanics between fighting games and the implications they have for decision making. a lot of this can be reduced to the concept of advantage. you want to make the choices relative to your character's design that will give you the advantage or leave your opponent at disadvantage, generally this means knocking them down or putting them in the corner. other than that it mostly has to do with learning how to make good predictions in general. the first game you learn is hard and overwhelming but after that, it becomes very easy to transfer the fundamental concepts between games and understand what is happening in a game at least to some degree even if you're never played it before.

this isn't really relevant at a casual level, it mostly has to do with weighing together characters and seeing what options are viable in different situations. a character with an invincible reversal (i.e. dragon punch) will handle being knocked down differently than a character without one.

once again, all that's really necessary to know is advantage/disadvantage and only for a few key moves at that. you pick up the specifics as they become necessary. if i get knocked down in a setplay heavy game like guilty gear, i need to be able to recognize specific openings where i can press a button.
all combos generally adhere to a game specific starter/middle/finisher structure, all that varies is the amount of buttons you need to press in the middle for the most part and the choice of a finisher (do you want knockdown, corner carry, or damage?) learning your only combos and testing the limits of a character is something i personally find very comfy but it really makes no difference if you learn a few easy ones online.

>sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

i think people get a skewed perspective on some of this stuff because they only see the game played by tourneyfags at a high level where understanding as many nuances of the game as possible is necessary, that's respectable but it's far from necessary to simply have fun playing & learning a game. being someone who enjoys learning is key to the being the type of person who can enjoy and improve at fighting games.

It's been more than 3 years without sex, so obviously yes

Indeed, the reliance on combos in fighting games has just gotten ridiculous over the years.

I think the last time I ever gave a shit about playing one was the original Tekken Tag Tournament, and I pretty well learned everything I could about characters that I didn't need to use canned combos to win with.

After a while it all becomes the same, a rehash. Fighting games are just treading the same ground and eventually they will be relegated to an ever diminishing niche until there are only a couple companies that produce them at all.

I'd like to argue that. Reading the rest of the post would give me the information that the "FG" portion of FGC stood for "Fighting Game"; however, there is no point in your post which would hint at the "C" portion of FGC meaning "community."

Also, I don't play fighting games because I'm really bad at them. I have all the time to learn, but it's something that I don't really want to invest time in. It seems that all fighting games/fighting game companies make a new "game" every 2 - 3 years to milk their fans. Additionally, all they do is boast some "new" system that has already been done implicated in the past by some other fighting game.

Because pic related. Same reason I disregard ASSFAGGOTS.

I do enjoy speedrunning and score-running, though. Pleases my autism. Love challenging myself and pushing the limit.

there was a big SC2 tourney at Combo Breaker yesterday

you've never played against a human

Drop the name, redditor.

Because my faggot furry retarded ex-friend is better at them than me.
I only ever come in these threads to save images.

why not just beat the shitskins?

play sam sho2 u dumb nigger

play soul calibur

I am heavily inclined towards having exploration in my games. Also, being boxed in a small arena seems rather uninteresting.

Then there's the fighting game mechanics, I played that weird Hot Topic indie fighting game with good animations recently. I don't have the patience of memorizing all the moves for all characters and I get frustrated because I can't compensate my lack of pixel perfect reaction speed with tactics or strategy. I guess it might help if these games had proper tutorials explaining each character's weaknesses and strengths down to meta. Maybe some of them do. Got any recommendations?

Fuck off, nigger.

Where are her legs?

I'm utter trash at the games. Tried playing third strike and I couldn't get three fights in singleplayer before I get my shit kicked in.
I mean I really like it and want to get better at it but I don't think I can.

I have tried getting into three titles of varying skill ceilings/floors. It goes something like this:

Now for the fork in the road

Now let's assume you actually git gud, like you think you're understandably good to go for "le competitive scene" even if it's just local matches with people from your city. You main a character and can get some decent W:L ratio as well as floor newcomers of the game:

Rinse and repeat. At least casually I still have lots of fun but I wouldn't touch a serious fighting game anymore for the life of me.

Skullgirls has character-specific tutorials, but the downside is that it's Skullgirls. It's a garbage game that won't teach you anything useful about the genre as a whole, since the entire playstyle of Skullgirls revolvees around combos and resets with nothing else in between.

Start with something really basic. I recommend Street Fighter 2, or Ultra Street Fighter 4. Preferably you start with one and then go into the other. Even the SNES version is alright since you're just starting out. Just take your time to learn the moves and play through it a bunch of times. Have fun with it, try different characters. Then when you're ready, move onto USF4. From there you should develop an understanding of the games.

Tekken is a good entry-level game too if you're looking to get into 3D fighters. Just have fun mashing buttons. Tekken 7 is coming out soon, but you might also try Tekken Tag Tournament 2 if you're interested.

Only threads where I can't tell the difference between 4cuck and Holla Forums

Because I don't like the gap between execution and strategy. I prefer to play games where the execution part of the game is as minimal as possible so I can focus on putting together a sound strategy. There are fighting games that focus on this somewhat - divekick is a good example - but they're very rare.

Tekken is nowhere near entry level. You need to know dashing mechanics, side-stepping, throw escapes, low counters, and juggles. Knowing frame data for the most overused characters helps too, but good fucking luck getting that information, Tag 2 is a cluster fuck of a mess.

Soul Calibur is the only friendly 3D fighter out there. VF got a little easier, but you still need a master's degree for most of the characters (It's a doctorate's degree to use Akira, Aoi, and Vanessa).

/thread tbh
It's the same with a lot of things. What's the fanbase for WWE? Autistic betas and niggers. What's the fanbase for DBZ? Autistic weebs and niggers. What do these things all have in common? They're incredibly low-brow garbage for niggers and demi-niggers.

Always felt that she was one of the easier ones to play as.
Also my main in VF5FS.
Just wanna point out, I haven't played VF 1, 2, 3 and only barely tried out 4 on PS2 a decade ago.

But user. Asians are the only non-whites who play ASSFAGGOT games like LoL and Dota (Even Blacks, Hispanics, and Arabs know better than to play Dota and LoL). How does your post fit with ASSFAGGOT games if non-whites don't play ASSFAGGOTS?

Chinks and gooks are not only non-white, they also non-people, as evident by their love for anything ASSFAGGOT and whatever abomination blizzard has shat out in recent years.

Because I only play on PC where the playerbases tend to be small which leads to tightly knit circlejerk communities, lag and big gaps in skill while matchmaking. I play from a country that isn't big on anything that isn't CSGO or NHL 20XX so local tournaments aren't a thing and I don't have any offline or online friends that play fighting games. I had one online friend that played SFIV but the skillgap was so large that he didn't really want to play with me. I never learned how to make new online friends in games that don't have a chat or dedicated servers and the only video game "community" I have been a part of in years is 8/v/ which makes integrating into anything else totally impossible.

I played about 14 hours of GG Xrd SIGN, have played about 6 hours of Rev and will buy Rev2 once it comes out on PC because I really want to get into the game because I keep watching tournaments for it and wanting to play it. All that time spent on the games is against CPU because I can barely control my character and execute anything so going online is pointless. It's also time spread over time since whenever SIGN was released on PC so I've basically barely played the game.

I hear this story brought up occasionally here but I've never actually been able to find any record of it anywhere else. Worst I was was some complaining about the finals on their forums, but no mention of fucking riots. Makes me think it's just one guy who made some shit up and hopes for it to spread.
Aside from your liberal dramatization of the event, are you acting like sexual harassment is something new to the FGC?
No, it was a player's mother who thought the costume was inappropriate. If you want to blame them for anything here I guess it can be for bringing more children to events.
No one was actually pegged as responsible for defecating in that pool, which apparently was not an irregular occurrence at the hotel. You're just blaming it on one of them because it suits your narrative when it could have easily been some autistic BB kid or any of the shitskins the FGG attracts.

There's enough shit wrong with Smash that it doesn't need you trying to distance it from the FGC by making it seem more shit in comparison. They're both just two sides to the same shitty coin.

Assblasted smashdrone detected because somebody is holding a mirror to his cancerous face.

You kind of answered your own question: ASSFAGGOTS aren't as low-brow, so there aren't as many niggers. They've been have been a social ill since the original Starcraft, but that's a different issue than why the FGC is worth avoiding.

I don't know if you're trying to play some kind of muh based asian with a fightstick meme, but take a look at the socially retarded bowljobs who show up to western tournaments. When Asia sends their FGC competitors, they're not sending their best.

A keyboard, a mechanical one especially, is essentially pic related except that the Hitbox costs $200. If you don't plan on playing in offline tournaments, playing with a keyboard is fine and in a lot of cases easier because you can hold multiple directions at a time.

this time with the pic

Nothing wrong with playing with a keyboard, save for if you want to play console games or at tournaments/locals. The only problem you might have is if your keyboard has ghosting(hold both shift keys and type out "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog").

Because it doesn't take skill like RTS or FPS games do.

Fighting games is only about muscle memory.

Every fighting game ever.

lol

Kind of surprised it took this long for this b8 to finally arrive. It's normally in the 10 first posts.

0/10 poor bait

Samefag

haha l o l

Explain what kind of skill is required on a FPS, the only thing you do is run and click at the enemies you see to kill. If you are playing an arena shooter the you memorize some item locations and run between then like a mouse, that's it.

We get it, you've never played an FPS in your life besides Carrotdoody.

So you don't have an explanation.

AI is either dumb as a brick or psychic input-reading faggot shit. The only way to have a decent match is against other players. Other players ruin games, and network latency ruins fighters. Ergo, I stopped playing fighting games when arcades died in the west.

See, there's a testable claim in there. You could have tested it instead of making a fool of yourself.

Not an argument either. Are you denying that an AFPS match has the players going from one item spam point to another and killing the enemies they find on their way 90% of the time?

Nigger he never agreed to engage in an argument. You came in here with a chip on your shoulder and when someone made fun of you you started sperging out about "HURF THAT'S NOT AN ARGUMENT DEBATE ME FAGIT"

We're treating you like bait because that's what you are

Are you IP hopping?
Of course we are not arguing. One guy says FPS requiere skill, I say they don't because they are simple as a brick, that's all. Take it as bait, I don't give a shit. Every FPS I have played has bored me to death.

You're not even trying

No, they did ruin one of the Evo events where it cost them a ban like Guilty Gear got banned thanks to Marn being a sleazy fuck. Mr. Wizard and JeBaily only keeps those little shits around for money because they're two-faced scumbag,

There's always been sexual harassment in the fgc (Aris, Noel Brown), but last I heard Noel Brown didn't try to commit rape like the Smash spic I brought up.

Word was it was a butt-hurt Smash player. No BlazBlue player has the balls to do shit like that, and Fgc trash wouldn't do that shit even when drunk and stoned off their asses (I know the difference being around Fgc trash and Smash faggots) .

There are reasons why people hate being around Smash players in events, and why Smash players are the Rapefugees in fgc events. The Smash community deserve the hate they get from everyone.

well this got embarrassing, you need to put more effort, bye user

Stay angry, FGC nigger.

Exactly this

I ran into almost everything you mentioned during my time playing fighting games. I still enjoy them, but between VF pretty much dead in the west, and the amount of time I need to stay good in the fighting games I do play, I no longer play them competitively. The amount of time, effort, and autism to get gud at the genre is better spent learning an actual martial art or fighting style in real life (sure you can't shoot fireballs or shit like that, but it's more fulfilling to devote to that over a vidya version). It basically leaves you with either sacrificing other vidya genres, priorities in life, or both. Once things in life start to pile up that keep you from practicing, you can say goodbye to your skill level in whatever fighting game you play (the same could also be said for real life martial arts, but one sticks with you more than the other).

You're also spot on about the communities.

I have bad reflexes and shit-tier hand-eye coordination.

I actually remember SCII being one of the few fighting games I enjoyed.

I don't have the will to put in the hours to git gud. I get bored and discouraged very quickly in training mode.

not even autocombo would interest me in this kind of time wasting garbage. Holla Forums is enough of a worthless timesink already, why would i waste even more of it on a jrpg-tier grindfest?

I'm saying "test your stupid opinion against a professional".

That's right: Just mindlessly hop like a jackrabbit from one spawn point to another, and see what happens.

Hint: A big part of the game is psychological!

What you said is correct, but not all of it. Predicting your opponent's movements is crucial, and fundamentals are the small predictions with small rewards. Say your opponent jumps at you a lot - you could either do a reaction anti-air and get a small air combo as a punish, or you could predict the jump entirely and stuff his jump with an attack of your own. There are usually enough common elements between different games (and even different developers) that knowing how to do it will be assimilated into your lizard brain somewhat easily. This also somewhat applies to the mental act of playing them, so you can prevent yourself from becoming flustered under pressure, and remember your combos and gameplan.

Sort of, but only if you're a professional. One thing to understand, (and realizing this was a watershed moment for me) is that a fighting game, by design, has a ceiling of complexity which is too high for any single human being to keep at the front of his mind while playing. So if you can't reach that technical ceiling, don't feel bad a bout it, because it's impossible.

The design of a game can also influence this: Guilty Gear Xrd (the only game I really have any idea how to play) is very proactive in that your best bet as most any character is to impose your gameplan on your opponent and put the burden of defence on him. Street Fighter IV, as a contrast, was very defensive, and the game was set up in such a way that the smarter player would be able to keep a life lead and force his opponent to make unsafe approaches. In a defensive game like SFIV, you need to know as much as you can so you can counter it, but Guilty Gear doesn't have nearly as much focus on frame data and autistic option selects.

This isn't to say they don't exist, of course, because that kind of stuff is very interesting to technical players, but the focus is more on interacting with your opponents, making small reads, and converting those reads into big damage rather than stuffing everything your opponent tries to do.

A stale meta is the mark of a poorly balanced game. There will always be a handful of characters who are better than the others, either due to their design or due to their numbers - however, the more popular a character is, the more people will want to counter that character. Thus, if a character has a weakness, that weakness will be exposed more quickly and thoroughly.

While this may not be the kind of answer you want (I get the impression you like playing the game to find stuff out rather than discussing it, which is totally understandable), try to look at it from a more scientific perspective. If the solution is out there and someone else already found it, you're just saving yourself work by using their solution.
More or less, yeah. Xrd has good characters and bad characters, but there are so many checks and balances in the game's combo system, and so many defensive options available to each character on top of any character-specific tools, it's tough for a single character to become dominant. Raven was like that in Xrd Revelator, but now that Rev 2 is released he's been changed to be less braindead.

Like anything else, it's a tool at your disposal, and in a good game it won't be the be-all, end-all factor of your gameplay. Mostly you want to understand frame data so you can know if a move is safe or unsafe on block - if a move is -5 frames on block, then a character like Sol who has a 3f normal will be able to punish it, whereas a character like Dizzy, whose fastest normal is 5f, won't.

Furthermore, GG's defensive mechanics (instant blocking and faultless defence) both change how much blockstun a move inflicts, so being aware of that is important. Instant blocking in particular makes moves 4f less safe, so that move which is -5f on block and Dizzy instant blocks it, then she can punish where she otherwise wouldn't be able to. While frame data looks autistic, most of its practical applications are to answer the question "what can I punish that with?"

Barf. Sorry about the wall of text; I swear it looked shorter in the reply window.

I think a lot of people looked at SFIV's combo system, which was incredibly limited, and assumed the rest of the genre must be like that. GG lets you build your own combos with the gatling system (most normal attacks can be canceled into other attacks as long as you go up the chain of Punch -> Kick -> Slash -> Heavy Slash -> Dust), and there's enough wacky shit going on to allow for stuff like vid related. But, combos like that are Ramlethal's specialty, and many other characters get by with fewer, more damaging combos, or oppressive setups, or having tools for each situation, or some gimmick which changes the pace of the match.

Furthermore, in a game like GG where it's very easy to land three or four hits off of a small opening, you should understand that a 12-hit combo isn't necessarily godlike. Every combo is made up of smaller combos, so a 12-hit combo which starts on the ground might look like:
That's 10 attacks right there, but it's really just three small combos, none of which are particularly difficult.

I'm not a pro player by any means, or even a good player, but I hope some of the things I mentioned have made sense.

Mostly a meme or bad developer practices. A character's combo paths for maximum damage might change, but maximum damage isn't always the best thing to attempt and unless the game is as inept as SFV or balanced like the seesaw of SFIV your overall gameplan will be the same.

Example: Slayer is a character from Guilty Gear. In Rev 2, the newest game, his command grab vampire bite will make all his special moves automatic counter hits for three seconds after he bites his opponent. Since his command grab was kind of worthless in the previous version, this gives him a powerful new tool because his specials moves fucking murder people. Thus, Slayer players are encouraged to attempt the grab more, which means his pressure now has a block-or-grab mixup in addition to his innate left-right and high-low mixups. This doesn't change what Slayer wants to do, but it gives him another way to ensure he can do it when he has the opportunity.

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator has the best tutorial you'll ever find in a fighting game. There's a new version, Rev 2, coming out soon so acquire that if you are interested.

An actual game instead of just a multiplayer thing. Perfect example, I've never cared about Gundam Versus since it's just a fighting game for the most part, but Extreme Versus Force is pretty good since there's actually shit to do and a game to play rather than just "lol do multiplayer it's infinite content"

What song? Also, is that a new character for Rev2? That gigantic sword seems like an on screen distraction tbh.

The controls are shit. Half of your inputs drop for no reason. Playing the game well requires an absurd amount of technical and obscure knowledge. You need to know tiny specific things about every single matchup against every single character. The characters are unbalanced but you have no idea which ones until you learn the game and by that time it's really difficult to switch to a different character.

Ramlethal's been around since Xrd SIGN, which was the first Xrd game. The newcomer for Rev2 is Answer, with Baiken returning.

I just typed the lyrics into YouTube's search bar.

The sword can be visually distracting, but given how awful Ram's neutral is it isn't really a big deal. All of her placed sword attacks have so much startup you can block them on reaction, too, even if you aren't paying attention to their placement.

Playing on a controller feels like shit, don't want to blow money on a fightstick/gamepad, and keyboard has issues with some important inputs. Plus none of my friends are into them, so I have no one to git gud with.
also competitive games are fucking terrible for my mental state because i'm a perfectionist and really insecure, and nothing makes you feel stupid like getting stomped at a fighting game

I forget big combinations and get too caught up in button-mashing like an autist to actually do well against anyone who's got moderate experience with fighting games. Fighting games all revolve around memorization of combos and having fast reflexes. If you lack either of these, you're going to fail.

I play then a little bit, but alone, and I suck at them. And I don't seem to improve at all, so I don't play them very often.

Generally suck at pulling off all the special moves. No combos either. I just do cheap shit with normals until it works.

I can 1cc some of them. Mostly the Capcom crossovers and newer games, though. Doing that on older fighting games is just impossible. The AIs are way too superhuman for me to consistently beat them.

The SNK games annihilate me. Can't win even once in a few of them, and I don't know the characters, and being massacred doesn't give me any practice, so I don't improve.

It would be nice to be good at them, but it's just not gonna happen. Shmups might be even worse for me, though, because it's all or nothing. Basically pointless to even play them if it's not a 1cc, unless they have checkpoints. Everything has to be perfect or you're fucked, and a lot of shit is just impossible to avoid without a shitload of memorization. If you continue, then you are just paying to win and it's pointless.

Other than that, I am actually decent or pretty good at every other type of game.

Those things aren't that hard to do. Tekken is also one of the more mash-friendly games so even on that level it's fun.

It's not that bad. The trick is to find people on your level so you can play against them. You can experience the thrill of mindgames right away as long as you find someone on your level and seriously compete with them. The only problem is finding them.

What? I am completely at a loss reading these. How does playing any of these games instill or enforce any behavior types. This sounds like some west side story type shit. I thought some of the speed runner stories where fucked up and sad. Still worse by comparison, at least with these tournaments money is actually involved as part of the prize pool right?
I'm just pulling random games out of my ass, but that what it sounds like.

Judgement also exists on psp.

So basically, fighting communities where a mistake?

Street Fighter V has no content
Mortal Kombat/NRS games have always sucked
Soul Calibur is dead and GG's story mode is a movie.

I have no one to play them with. No real FGC presence where I live. Everyone I know is too casual.

Because I don't like them. The fuck is hard to get?

I only actively play Melee because I grew up with it and when it started really taking off back in 2010-2011, it sparked my interest to learn it. I'm not great, but I'd definitely say it's the game I feel the most confident about in terms of knowledge and execution.
The only proper fightan I've gotten decent at is BlazBlue. Keep in mind, we're not talking tourney-viable here, just average, which definitely takes more time and effort than most other games.
I just hit this wall where I stop improving and I lose the motivation to grind. Every now and then I'll get some hour of practice, but I feel like I'm getting nowhere and whatever labbing I do doesn't pay off in actual matches. I'm content with just sticking to offline couch play with my friend and watch tournaments on Twitch.
I also dipped my toes in 3S and while I think it's a neat game, I can never get into it. The timings are too strict for me. BB is fairly lenient when it comes to pulling off combos and such, but 3S feels insanely stiff and I just don't get Street Fighter's spacing and pace. If it got big again, or if there was some new HD remake, I might jump back in.

That's rough, buddy.

I'm in Codemonkey's boat. The last fighting game I liked and put time down hasn't seen a sequel or remake or anything outside of Japan in almost 20 years.

Used to do KoF '99 but that was console and with friends in the neighborhood. Bought both Skullgirls and one of the Blaz Blue games and never put work on either.

At this point, I've come to terms that fighters ain't for me.

Because I don't enjoy games where I can literally smash random buttons and still be a top tier player capable of tourny

Sounds less like the "Smash community" and more like "I have a problem holding individual fucknuggets accountable for their actions".

You should work on that.

Because the mechanics themselves result in many of the "competitors" screaming bloody murder should you happen to turn items on.

No horse in that race, but just pointing out how you defeat your own argument. My "playstyle" revolves around items. Why should I have to turn them off to accommodate you every round? Shouldn't that go both ways?

I play fighting games on the regular but I will never consider myself part of that fucking cesspool. Also every series I give a shit about right now is fucking dead, literally dead(RIP Arcana Heart) or gone to shit in the meanwhile. If it wasn't for Guilty Gear somehow holding on or SNK pulling themselves out of the pachinko gutter and bringing back KoF from the dead, I probably wouldn't be playing fightans today.

Damn user, what kinda game did you play?

I tried to get into them briefly several times but I'm in a place right now where I can only bring myself to play games and genre familiar to me and still end up getting stressed over them.
Then I promptly never attempt to play anything

I'll spend a week or so learning a character, go online, and proceed to lose around 90% of my matches. I give up for about a month, and then I start the cycle all over again after watching some dude win a clutch match. I guess my problem is giving up too quickly.

Why don't we have a loli fightan game? I want to see cute girls beat each other up with super combos and not be Skullgirls.

I'm a filthy casual and can't take the heat.

Sad!

I like fighters, I'm not good at them, I only play them with friends locally.

communities are cancer, and the fgc is full of niggers. also online play is for faggots. I prefer not to associate with faggot niggers.

Fighting games draw niggers like flies to honey. Never understood why though.

There's a few lolis, sure. But I'm talking about a fully loli cast.

No time or money. It's not really a party genre, it has a lot of DLC, and it takes a while for me to learn mechanics and movesets. I used to play a lot of Blazblue during HS in 2010, but I couldn't keep up with my new lifestyle.

You don't have to simplify input to a button, just stick with quarter circles and half circles.

I don't know why either, in some sense it's nice that they like like a skill centric game but in another sense I really don't want to be around chimps.

probably just a base instinctual thing.

For all the poorfags: just download Figthcade and the neogeo roms.
For all the no-reflexfags: just use a keyboard. Learn to type fast.

My timing's too poor to reliably pull moves. That and I get abnormally pumped up while playing to the point where I have a really hard time not mashing, never figured out why. Also, I have no one to play with locally or close enough to get tolerable latency.

This is true for every game with competitive multiplayer, from Armored Core through X-Men vs Street Fighter. You either have to be the guy who unlocks all of the stages/characters/parts/weapons and DEMOLISH everyone, or you try to learn online and end up looking like fucking DSP playing with an upside-down controller. Faggots with literal autismbucks spend dozens of hours a week mastering shit you do for maybe an hour a week, because lol who needs a day job? Fuck, if I didn't have the three micrograms of self-pride I still retain, I could make animatronic fursuits for those faggots, and live high on the non-anthropomorphic hog.

KoFXIV looks pretty dope. How's the PC version? Never really gave KoF a fair shot.

It isn't out yet but you can pre-order it on steam and get into the open beta. I was going to get it this week but I have to wait until I get paid again. Been waiting for the port since it came out on console, not buying PS4 for one game.

PS4 version plays pretty well from the few times I've messed with it. Seems to stay true to the older titles in the series despite them no longer using sprites. Everyone I know playing the beta on PC says it's okay for local play with a few bugs at the moment that only break the game every so often. I'm pre-ordering for the Athena '98 costume like a faggot. If I wasn't a big fan I'd wait for a sale, pirate it, or just get the arcade version whenever it's leaked.

It doesn't have crossplay so if you're interested in online play I'd wait and see how long the community sticks around for. PS4 will probably remain the tournament standard and the beta's netcode is so buggy right no no one really knows how good the final versions will be yet. Plus the PC player pool always seems to be lower and dry up quicker. Doesn't matter much to me because I mostly play locals but if that's the only way you have of playing against others it'd probably ruin your fun.

Always losing isn't fun. As simple as that. The closest thing I play to a fighting game is Monster Hunter. Has all the fighting game elements:

But without the

I just hate multiplayer PvP, and that's the meat and potatoes of any fighting game. If the enemy is always better and always improving, there's no point to try since it's a rigged race from minute one. Versus Monster Hunter, where the monster is -always- the same, minus new attacks in higher difficulties, and can be 'trained' to learn tells, attacks, and general patterns so you can beat it, eventually, and are rewarded for doing so.

I have no real excuse about time investment due to game of choice mentioned above, but I'll say it. At this point in time, spending 500 hours to learn a fighting game would pay off better in other vidya. Not to mention 500 hours in a fighting game would still have me lose 100% of matches, versus like..500 hours mastering a rhythm game or a puzzle game or something more fun to me.

I'll -always- enjoy watching fighting over playing it 100%

That's the problem here; I don't really have many friends interested in fighting games. I have exactly one buddy who plays Guilty Gear with me every other weekend or so, but other than that, I have to stick with online which can be really bad unless the netcode is good and the playerbase is large.
I guess I'll wait and see how it turns out. I was sure it was out already, but I was mistaken.

Understandable, I had the same problem. What I did was introduce friends back to the genre as for most of them it was something they'd played casually growing up. We were all the right age for when arcades were still huge but we lived in a small town so competition was limited. Most of them stopped playing them years ago but since they're one of the few couch co-op games that still exist they were easy to work back in. This works out good because you'll probably end up with a mix of skill levels and no one feels left out since there is usually someone close to them in skill. Eventually everyone evens out a bit.

You have to be willing to play stuff that isn't your favorite though. In my group we have people that play just about everything; Tekken, Soul Calibur, SF, MK, VF, KoF. We switch it up and let everyone have a turn at begin top dog. We even play Smash with items from time to time just for shits and giggles.

Also I was a good goy. Couldn't really afford it but I guess I'll skip steak later in the week. Been waiting so long I just said fuck it. Sorry for contributing to the problem. I'll post in fighting game general whenever I get around to getting a chance to play it.

At most I think I can gather up 4 or 5 people who'd be down for some fight night, but I know at least one of them both suck balls at fighting games and sometimes he gets really, really angry when he gets repeatedly owned. Thing is, he's one of the casuals who keep mashing buttons while holding forward and if you try to teach him how to play, he just gets annoyed.
Still, I could always try to get some people over. I could have 3 different games going at once, so it could be a lot of fun.

Any controller will do really, I learned BBCT on a 360 controller using the analogue stick for movement.

fundamentally i don't think fightan games will ever be attractive to most people even if they can appreciate them as spectators. they can only be played optimally in an arcade/competitve environment that doesn't exist in most places and frankly the average person hates losing too much to ever enjoy the grind of gitting gud. other genres give you much more room to cushion your ego. even a trash player can run around for a few like a retard minutes in a shooter or a moba before they die and even then they just respawn with little consequence and do it again. even when they lose they at least feel like they did something. if you get outskilled in a fighting game, you wont even get to play and it's completely your own fault.

give the older games on fightcade a try, xiv is basically a combination of the mechanics from 98, 2002 and xiii so playing any of those games will give you a pretty good idea of what kof feels like. they all have better netplay than xiv tbh execution is significantly easier than xiii though.

how?

maybe throw in some more casual friendly stuff too like nidhogg or divekick so the entire night isn't just them getting stomped.

You'd have a point if competitive players roamed around trying to force you to play by their rules. You can't go into a tournament and turn on items because you are encroaching on their space and telling them you won't play the way the community and venue have agreed to be the fair way to play.

Since no such game actually exists, the question still stands.

I've found buying them liquor helps. I built a small place for people to hang out in, stocked it with booze, found one person that liked SF. We went from there.

I am actually planning to git gud and learn when I have some free time, it's the only genre where I don't have any idea at all what the fuck is happening

Oh I played for a couple of hours, the port is spot on. I only got to play the demo on PS4 with the controller so I wasn't sure if it held up to the old games until now. It's really close, maybe a bit easier to do some things but still feels close enough to '98 that I can't complain. I was one of the people pissed that they ditched sprites but they managed to pull it off. The closed beta runs fine on my machine at max settings but I'm above requirements by a long shot so I wouldn't buy it just yet if you own a toaster. I'm happy to finally have it and will probably be playing this more than other games for awhile. Can't wait to see what kind of mods come out for it. Looking forward to begin able to participate in locals now.

I play it instead of sleeping so now I have to go into work on no sleep. Just 8 hours though, then I get to come back and see how the netcode is.

I'm a total newbie who is trying to get into them.

One of the biggest barriers to entry is controllers. I had a steam copy of SFIV, but the keyboard inputs threw me off immediately and I had no controllers at that time. Now that I have a ps3 controller I can play them, but as with other games repeated action sometimes has my thumb sliding off the stick due to the convex shape of the top.

If there was a cheap, quality fightstick, I'd just buy that and be done with it but the ones worth buying cost ~$150 and that kind of investment calls for being sure that I'll keep playing games in the genre.

I've heard ps4 controllers are good and I'd be willing to get one for better pc play, but it's all still to be seen.

As for my entry, I'm planning on getting Rev 2 on release with a friend who is experienced with non-anime fighting games so we can both learn it together. Right now I'm just going through the skullgirls tutorial as I heard it was a pretty decent fight game intro and I was able to pick it up for cheap last night.

I relied on a HORI fightpad for 7 years. It provided me enough of a crutch to take on some high ranked people but even a fightpad as well made as that has its limits. If you've never used fighsticks in the past, you will have to eventually. Takes a lot of getting used to depending on your prior usage.

What usually happens when people decide to buy a stick is that they play a lot more to justify the purchase. I got a lot better a lot faster once I bought one, because I just played a lot more. You don't need one, but even if you really want to, there are plenty of cheap

I don't like multiplayer games that aren't incredibly casual

It's like grasping for straws to compare to logs.

Honestly seeing someone else posting a webm of me practicing ram set ups is honestly puts a smile on my face.

I am playing casually every known fighter from time to time against computer. Tried a lot of them, but never seriously participated in anything with living people. Well maybe except trying out SF4 and DOA5 online. Never learn meta or button prompts and try to beat hardest AI and have fun with it.
Eventually learn by experience and become bored, move to other game genres.

I made an honest attempt to git gud at Skullgirls when it first came out, gave up after 6 months or so. I use to be good at Mortal Kombat when I was younger. I just don't have the patience required to practice a single game like that for hours on end. Fighting games as genre are neat, just not for me.

Do it!

For the no execution types… Yomi?

Same question actually: because I don't want to learn and memorize an ungodly amount of moves, to clumsily translate what I want to the screen. A videogame is its control system and fighting games are stuck in the early 90s.

Technology that doesn't exist yet. Something that needs to be easy to pick up, but give you the full spectrum of sophistication of a pro. I want to be in my own martial arts movie, not learn buttons and combinations like a lab monkey.

I like fighting games but I know I'm shit against most people. I like story mode though. I'd love a new red earth style fightan though.

Like ARMS on switch?

honestly the only thing i get out of fighting games are the characters. theyre really just weird strategy games about memorization. not much room to improvise.

play any game with BanHam style combat you fucking casual

I was there when gaming magazines were filled with fighting games at the height of the Street Fighter 2 mania. Back when fighting games weren't just a niche genre for niggers and spics.

All the special moves and combo systems are a meta game. That you eventually grow out, because you see through it. If I already understand the theory behind Skullgirls' fighting system, why should I practice my muscle memory for days just to make it happen?

It's worse than work. It's getting trained like a monkey. And white folks are beyond that stage of evolution, thankfully.

it's called muscle memory and is pretty much required if you want to play any instrument or most action video games
or are you trying to tell me you have to consciously think about pressing the buttons on the controller in any genre? if yes, you must be pretty bad at video games